Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2489

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2489
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I slept rather badly that night, worrying that our different philosophies would split us apart. I’m an egalitarian, a true feminist believing that everyone should have the same opportunity to develop their potential. I don’t believe that we should all be paid the same because people like doctors study for years to acquire their qualifications. They’re also likely to have large debts which will take years to pay off.

So what about people who aren’t clever enough to be doctors or other top jobs? We should all be paid a living wage, sadly many wage slaves don’t earn enough to live without benefits paid by the government, and those on zero hours contracts are in a sort of double jeopardy—they might have no work yet have to be available just in case, effectively preventing them looking elsewhere for work. Alas, this seems to be the way things are, in the disposable age people are disposable.

I wondered about my idea to run distance learning. Lots of universities do it these days in competition with the Open University, but I’ve never been involved before and wondered if it would work. The first priority was to achieve self sufficiency in paying for itself, and this only because if it didn’t it would be closed down. The second was to try and educate as many people as possible to what was happening to force the powers that be to change things.

Sadly, until we develop nuclear fusion as a form of energy provision, we’re going to continue destroying this planet. Carbon based fossil fuels are inefficient and produce pollution, and the latest means of acquiring them is potentially very environmentally dangerous. Fracking means lower imports of fuel but what is it doing to the environment, but then building certain soft drinks plants in India or Africa also produces huge amounts of pollution and alters the water table because they use so much of it.

Let’s face it, most global companies are far more interested in profit that preserving wildlife, so once again we have conflicts of interest. Unfortunately, some of these companies are too powerful and can destroy economies or democracies causing widespread damage to communities. So they have leverage which means governments often allow them to get away with dumping waste or over-consuming natural resources. Could Simon’s bank be like that? Are they involved with some of these harmful processes? Very likely. Only the Co-op bank wasn’t and they nearly went bust and have been forced to become more commercially minded. I didn’t want to be at odds with Simon or Henry, at the same time I didn’t want to be appearing to endorse a bank which was profiting from destroying my heritage. No wonder I’m unable to sleep.

I went downstairs and made some tea hoping I’d be able to break my train of thought and get back to bed. As I sat in the kitchen I quickly became aware that temperatures were tumbling and I moved my chair closer to the Aga, which stores heat and is thus a bit like a giant radiator. I was sure it was getting colder, and shivered, my dressing gown not warming me much at all.

I sipped the last of my tea and I now felt very cold. It almost felt as if the back door was open, except I knew it wasn’t. Why did I feel so cold? I was sure I saw my breath for a moment, then I began to feel I was not alone—here we go, more stuff I don’t believe.

Became aware I was being watched but when I turned around, couldn’t see anyone. I shrugged and tried to laugh it off but it persisted and finally, out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw movement. The ghost of Stanebury stood before me, the white or grey lady thereof, I think she’s called. Normally she only appeared to let the Lady of the manor know she was there—I’d had that visit so what did she want? If it was enrolment on my distance learning courses, she’d have to apply like all the others.

According to what I thought I remembered of the legend, she came to inform the incumbents that the estate was in trouble or being damaged by current policy, or people of the estate were.

“What d’you want?” I asked—as if a wraith could answer my questions.

“The people of Stanebury are suffering.”

“Why?”

“You are going to call for policies that will lose jobs.”

“I’m not deliberately trying to do that, but I consider the rest of the planet is more important than one estate.”

“You are the Lady of the household, it is your job to protect them.”

“I’m also a scientist responsible for much bigger projects,” she scowled at me.

“Nothing is bigger than yer responsibilities tae yer people.”She scowled again.

“If we destroy the environment they lose their jobs anyway.” I tried to explain what I was doing but she simply glowered at me. Wonderful. Is she stuck in a time-warp and thus not able to understand? Didn’t people call the natural area in which they lived, the environment, centuries ago? Possibly not.

I tried again. “Milady, the area in which the estate resides is called its environment, and that environment is part of a larger one and so on. In protecting the larger environment, the smaller may suffer, but we are committed to alleviating their suffering as quickly as we can by diversifying through introducing new techniques or technologies or training. If you think I’m looking to stop grouse shooting, you’re well informed but wrongly so. If it does stop, I will endeavour to offer jobs doing something different which is equally lucrative for those who were disadvantaged.”

She glowered at me as if she felt I was lying—I wasn’t, but then, I hadn’t decided what I should advise Simon to do on the estate. I might well suggest he stop shooting on a commercial scale, but how I had yet to consider, our local eco-friendly ghost was seemingly jumping the gun—no pun intended.

No matter how much I tried to explain about setting up workshops and so forth, she called me liar. I was beginning to get hacked off by her. I thanked her for her interest but told her it was my concern not hers and for her to leave. She as good as refused until I gave an undertaking to stop my deprivations. As I hadn’t done anything yet except get very cold, I told her to go, very firmly.

She glared at me and told me, no. I therefore asked the blue energy to remove her, but with love. There was a large blue flash and she was gone and suddenly the temperature rose several degrees. Did I dream it? Was my conscience affecting me, because it could impact on Simon as laird. I had no idea but I didn’t think having her visit was conducive to easy slumber. I was wrong, I got back into bed after a quick visit to the loo and went straight off. Strange thing life isn’t it?

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
261 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I love it

One of my very favorite storytellers is also an idealist/activist. Brava, Angharad. You have my respect and gratitude.

Joani

Distance Learning...

Talk about your double edged sword! It CAN be a quite effective tool in that it's possible for one instructor to teach more individuals than would otherwise be the case. And, those individuals can listen to lectures at a time that suits them.

The down sides (some of which can be mitigated) are legion. (Always wanted to use that word! LOL). Problems include:
> Need for students to "make" the time to listen to lectures (with no set schedule this requires more self discipline).
> Lack of immediacy in any interactions
> Lack (or mostly lack) of student-to-student interactions
> Grading challenges

(I know this for two reasons... 1) My youngest took Geometry via distance learning. 2) I'm in the middle of a distance graduate program in systems engineering.)

There are ways to mitigate against the problems - I hope Cathy's able to address the issues in getting her program off to a good start!

Interesting interaction there at the end...

Thanks,
Annette

I'm amazed ...

... that geometry is still taught. I thought my once favourite school subject (well, maths subject) back in the 1950s had been consigned to the dustbin. Euclid lives on!

Never understood the sport in driven shoots, even when I still did a bit of rough shooting myself. Particularly of pheasants which will only fly in an ungainly stagger when forced into it by the beaters. Shooting fish in barrels springs to mind.

Robi

I think

Angharad's picture

it's more about blood lust than shooting skills, killing more than anyone else - presumably some sort of compensation for either their ruthless desires which they can't act out on their fellows, or their inadequacies in the trouser department; or both!

Angharad

It is far too late

I've been taking an economics class taught by a couple if sociologists. These Professors seem to think the earth has lost its tail rotor. I doubt that it will be the end for humanity though I think our children and their off spring will be rebuilding from the ashes. It'll be a good thing that we used all those fossil fuels up now, so they will have to build a new civilization using more sensible energy choices.

And without Jet Planes plunging about the heavens, it will allow the Ozone to eventually recover. In that first thousand or so years after the fall, the solar radiation will be so bad that everyone will wear garments reminiscent of the Burqua, including the men. Reference modern day Tuareg traders, where both genders cover completely, as practice.

The ground water will be so polluted that once thought useless organs like the Appendix will once again be pressed into service filtering things.

And, Homo Sapiens, having made a right muck of things will likely be replaced by Neo- Homo Sapiens, who will be much smarter and less driven by greed. Perhaps they won't even look like us? Perhaps they will look like Anne McCaffery's dragons and will be the dominant race, enslaving the dull witted proto Humans?

Perhaps it will be time to return to bleedin Mars to ..........

Hey, need some more Dark here.

Gwen

And so

Dahlia's picture

And so they all say as they drive to work in their autos, trains and busses. Flying for vacations in jets and planes. Cooking with natural gas as well as heating the winter cold homes. Fusion as Angharad says is the only true way but even that technology comes with a price. All due to the haves always controlling the have-nots and continually wanting more. If cheap fusion energy came tomorrow, it still would not cover for the cars and planes which are the majority of means of transportation in our 'civilized' world. We as a species are the largest polluters alive. This because we breath oxygen and produce carbon dioxide. More by far then any bunk about cows farting it out. So what is the solution? wipe out half the human race. Not likely! We all want to find a fix but none wants to do with less than we already have or face the fact that we, the human race, is the problem. Eliminate us and walla, the problem is solved.

Cathy would

probably never forgive me for saying it , But she does seem to have very strong links to all those things she professes not to believe in , The latest incident related above is another good example, Perhaps then if she became a little more open to what she cannot see, Then maybe just maybe she would see what her daughters seem able to see so easily, I'm thinking of course of Billie, Cathys much loved and much missed daughter.... It is said that children are able to see things which adults with their more cynical minds cannot, Cathy though does seem to have a special connection, Perhaps all it needs is a little more openess on her part...

Kirri

Logical?

Cathy has a logical scientific frame of mind. So the blue light and the grey Lady are, to her ‘known unknowns’ in that famous phrase.
Possibly there are even ‘unknown, unknowns’ to our modern scientists, awaiting an answer.

Perhaps it was a dream, or we are all in a ‘Matrix’ and there is no reality.

I believe a good cup of tea will put it all to rights.

Great writing Ang.

Love to all

Anne G.