Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2578

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2578
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
@@@@@

Within an hour Special Branch and some bloke in a suit I assumed was from MI5 or some similar organisation, had arrived and crawling all over the computer. We’d left the transcript of what it said for them to see. While we waited I’d called Tom to take Trish home, which miffed her somewhat as she’d anticipated demonstrating her cleverness to all and sundry. I thought differently and decided to spare her the ordeal of endless questions, some of which were insulting—presumably deliberately so, in order to provoke a reaction. Having dealt with these weirdos before, I half expected them and didn’t react except to say, that next time I wouldn’t bother telling them.

“In which case we’ll arrest you under the anti-terrorism legislation.”

“Not if you enjoy your job.”

“That sounds like a veiled threat, Professor Watts.”

“I’m sorry, it was meant to be much more direct than that.” I smiled at him.

“I’m not sure who you think you are, but even the Cameron’s money won’t get you off a charge of treason.”

“I’m not sure who you think you are either, Inspector, but as I will never betray my country, as my lawyers will demonstrate, you’ll be wasting your time. They’ll also demonstrate how I’ve raised over half a million, from various individuals and police forces for wrongful arrest, which various charities have found useful.”

“Everyone has their price,” said the policeman.

“I presume this is a statement of personal experience.” I offered pushing his buttons.

“Indirect, yeah—but it’s surprising who’ll give away anything to save their kids—though they’re not really yours are they, men can’t give birth, can they?”

I was about to react with extreme prejudice when Jim grabbed him by the throat with one hand lifted him off his feet. “I think you might wish to retract that remark and apologise to the lady or I’ll make sure your breeding days are over as well.”
Two of his men stepped closer but MI5 or whoever he was said quietly, “I’d stay out of it boys, by the time you rescue him he’ll be dead, right, Mr Beck?” The Inspector was now limp and turning blue.

James placed him gently in a chair and he slowly came round holding his throat. He shook his head and glared at Jim. Jim stepped towards him. “I withdraw the remark and apologise, Lady Cameron. I assume you’re as attached to your children as any other mother.”

“I accept your apology, Inspector, however, I should state that I am legally female and the legal parent of my children and any allusion to anything contrary to that will result in very expensive writs landing on your doormat, which will be the only piece of property I’ll allow you or your family to possess.”

“I hope that’s the end of the playground games,” said MI5.

“Who are you?” I asked.

“An interested party, shall we say.”

“And exactly what sort of interest is that?”

“I think you know that, Lady Cameron, we follow your career with great interest and know all there is to know about you.”

“Perhaps you do, while I know nothing about you—it hardly seems a relationship of equals does it?”

“There is nothing to know about me, I’m replaceable by someone equally replaceable and unknown. It is my job to know not be known.”

“I shall call you Mr Spook.”

“If that satisfies you, that’s fine with me.”

“Does Annabelle think so?”

“Who’s Annabelle?” He replied with just the tiniest reaction, an almost imperceptible one.

“Your wife, or she was this morning. Let’s see, she works for the Ministry of...”

“That’s enough of your tricks, Lady Cameron.”

“Is it?”

“If you don’t want Sammi to have a difficult evening, I think so.”

“Very well, Edward.” I’d just seen his name in my mind.

“I don’t know who is the more spooky of you two,” said the Inspector smirking at Edward’s discomfort. At least he kept his remark grammatical which pleased my sense of pedantry.

We adjourned to my office, the lab was locked and sealed with police tape and the technician’s computer and that of our expired vice chancellor was also removed. I was to learn later that friends of Edward spoke to Simon and Henry about the plot we uncovered. They knew nothing about it but also knew that as long as Sammi and her team were there, the odds of a similar plot succeeding were small.

Over tea we attempted to cooperate as much as we could—at least on the face of it. There were threats and counter threats, if I withheld information they’d prosecute me. If anything happened to any of my family, I’d sue their arses off and so on.

“I believe you’re going to Reading tomorrow?” stated Edward.

“Yes, my daughter has been picked for the English schoolgirls’ squad.”

“I hope she plays.”

“Thank you.”

“I saw her play for her old school—very impressive.”

“I think so.”

“Be careful,” he said quietly.

“Is that a warning?”

“It’s a suggestion.”

“Thank you.”

He simply nodded his response.

They insisted on speaking with Trish who took great delight in explaining her hacking the passwords despite my efforts by gesture to stop her. She is incredibly bright but also equally vain. Not a good combination, which I tried to explain to her after they’d gone.

Sammi was irritated that they insisted on removing the computer she’d used to access the university one remotely. She told them given the potential for it containing sensitive bank data, she required a warrant. It took an hour to arrive by which time one of her colleagues had copied the whole hard disc while she distracted the police. Then, everything except the relevant program was deleted and scrubbed, especially her decryption program.

The evening wore on and Simon and I lay in bed discussing the latest developments as we knew them. His interview was short and sweet, he knew nothing about the plot to hack the bank nor of my discovery in Portsmouth. We speculated about Black’s killer, suspecting it was MI5 or similar. Edward declined to answer if his lot had done the deed saying, “If my lot had done it why would I be here now?” We came up with loads of answers including that he could be a double agent. That would have amused him.

So, all in all, we knew a bit more but not a lot. I just hoped the powers that be were better informed or we’d really be in trouble, we’d find out eventually either way. I just hoped it wasn’t because some sleeper assassin terminated one of my family to make some esoteric point. We’d just have to wait and see and do what we could to protect ourselves. Hiring Chas and Dave, Jim’s friends was the first step in that protection.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
270 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Why aren't you working

for Cubbi Broccoli's trust company and write the scripts for the next James Bond movies? :)

Sephrena

Scary Stuff !

Cathy must be a little worried to be hiring Chas & Dave* ( maybe she is hoping their singing will keep the baddies away ) Trouble is protecting anyone at a football match is a job fraught with problems, I guess though the old adage applies if you need a good job doing then its always wise to employ the best.... And we already know they are that !

Kirri

* Chas & Dave are an English pop rock duo, most notable as creators and performers of a musical style labelled "rockney", which mixes "pub singalong, music-hall humour, boogie-woogie piano and pre-Beatles rock 'n' roll".

Apparently the DCI and the

Apparently the DCI and the other "fuzz" just can't seem to grasp the concept of "do no harm", especially when it comes to Cathy or any member of her family; the girls, or young women, or the men in her life.
one day maybe some will "get a clue" and realize she really is on their side and as long as the police and other government officials don't try to "screw" Cathy over, they and she will both have a very amicable professional relationship.