Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2660

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2660
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
@@@@@

It was a couple of days later that Andy Bond popped by at the house and informed me that no further action was going to take place.

“You mean I won’t be referred to the CPS?”

“No you won’t be referred for prosecution, the new film backed up your statement very well.”

“I tend to be pretty honest, Andy.”

“I know, Cathy, but people forget things in the heat of the moment.”

“And then you prosecute them?”

“We don’t prosecute, we investigate and collect evidence.”

“What about enforcing the law?”

“That’s a different function, but yeah we do some of that as well.”

“Agents of the state and all that...”

“You are so cynical, Cathy. Remember that I didn’t have to come and see you, I could just have waited for you to enquire or heard on the grapevine.”

“Well thank you for telling me, at least I don’t need to save my energy for defending myself against spurious charges. I hope your Chief Inspector hasn’t got a mortgage.”

“Cathy, if I thought for one moment that you’d stoop to those levels, apart from it being illegal, your esteem in my eyes would have dropped significantly.”

“Okay, I wasn’t really serious but I wasn’t feeling full of the milk of human kindness.”

“Look I know you’ve had some tribulations with us over the years but I thought you were beyond those now.”

“Now hang on a moment, Andy. At times my interaction with the police has been dreadful and I’ve been shown actual violence on more than one occasion, but I’m also aware of the deaths of several officers while trying to protect me and my family, whose sacrifice I shall never be able to repay.”

“I knew two of ’em, good blokes.”

“Indeed. At times it seems the police are made up of two distinct types: the good guys, such as yourself; and the bad guys or incompetents such as your Chief Inspector.”

“He was just doing his job as he saw it.”

“I’m glad no one agreed with him.”

“They did before the fresh evidence appeared.”

“What they were seriously going to prosecute?”

“It looked that way,” he blushed.

“And did you agree with them?”

“Not my job to judge people, just collect evidence.”

“So you said before—you didn’t believe me, did you?”

“I wanted to, Cathy.”

“Well thanks for being honest—at least I know where I stand now. Et tu, Andy.”

“You’re adding two and two together and making six.”

“So tell me where I’m going wrong?” I really wasn’t sure about my relationship with the local plod any more, but at least they’d stopped accusing me of being a man in a dress—not that nice guys like Andy ever did, but there were plenty who did or would if they could because the environment was still skewed towards aggression in policing and having been on the receiving end of aggressive behaviour, I certainly didn’t want others to have it befall them.

“I have a duty to investigate possible crimes.”

“I don’t have a problem with that Andy, except you seemed to be investigating just one side of things. Remember I’m the one he attempted to assault, I’m also the one he nearly killed on a busy junction, yet I’m the one who was being investigated and by someone I thought I could trust.”

“My warrant comes before friendships, Cathy.”

“So I see, but I still don’t understand why he attempts to assault me and when I try to assist him to prevent injury, I risk being charged with assaulting him. Don’t you see my difficulty, or do you lot just persecute the innocent now as it’s easier?”

“That’s below the belt and you know it.”

“Well explain to me how that man is able to flout various laws and yet I nearly get prosecuted for something of which I was innocent?”

“His lawyers complained, we looked at the film and saw their point. It really looked as if you’d slammed him into the van and he seemed to confirm it.”

“I hope he’s going to be done for knowingly making false accusations.”

“That is being looked into.”

“It better had or I’m going to bring a complaint against the force and the last one cost you dear.”

“I’m well aware you took half a million off us.”

“The charities I supported did quite well, though in truth it’s my taxes which I’m getting returned and for being beaten up and accused of being a homosexual man posing as a woman. I think you got off cheap—next time I’ll go all the way to court and bankrupt the force.”

“What would that achieve?”

“It would enable the whole world to see how many idiots are employed by the police.”

“Sounds more the objective of a spiteful woman.”

“Who has reasonable grounds to feel spiteful.”

“I won’t argue with that but what about those who died protecting you—are you going to punish them as well or their families?”

“Tell me that Quentin is being prosecuted.”

“Or what?”

“Just tell me.”

“I’ll tell you something, Lady Cameron, I used to know a lovely young lady who would help anyone or anything. She possessed a magical touch and everyone loved her—then she became older and more cynical which just made her more and more bitter. Does she remind you of anyone, Lady Cameron?”

With that he left. “Oh where’s PC Bond gone, I’ve just made some tea,” wailed Phoebe.

“He’s gone.”

“Is everything all right, Mummy?” she asked.

“No it isn’t, we’ve just treated each other as if they were collateral damage while pursuing bigger fish.”

“You don’t go fishing, do you?”

“There’s a first time for everything.”

Her facial features contorted as she took on board what I’d said and her response to it. “Sometimes you frighten me, Mummy.”

“Sometimes I frighten myself.”

up
260 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hell hath no fury -

like a woman crossed.

Still lovin' it Ang.

bev_1.jpg

Heaven hath no rage like love

Heaven hath no rage like love to hatred turned nor hell a fury like a woman scorned is, I think, the actual quote but all toooften the misquote fits.

The High Road

Cathy needs to send Andy a nice box of chocolates and a conciliatory note.

Quite

She was a bit PMSy

I have to agree

he's been the one who she's been able to trust although he seemed to be taking a pretty cold stand on the situation too.

Lost innocence

Dahlia's picture

I am sad to see that Cathy is turning bitter towards the officer. He didn't need to stop by and yes, he is just doing his job. The acrimony of this chapter reminds me that at time I can be overly aggressive towards people that are just doing their jobs. It is not nice and I don't like that side of my personality. I do hope that Cathy does some introspection about her jaded attitude. For the most part though she is still the wonderful lady she has always been.

Thanks for more story!

Dahlia

There once was a nice young

There once was a nice young lady, who had an acquaintance of the constabulary sort, and they got along quite nicely.

Then she got assaulted, persecuted, bullied, dipped in bigotry of the worst kind, untruly accused of a plethora of misdemeanors and criminal acts stemming from defending herself and/or others. She's been arrested, and tried, and unjustly convicted time and again by bigots and haters with the bias of the majority of the 'brotherhood of plod', etc. etc.

And yet she is supposed to keep her innocence, cheerful naivety, and welcoming nature?

Really Mr. Bond you astound me with your lack of empathy and failing grasp of reality. I think Cathy is still being really kind on the accounts of 'La Hermandad'.

Thank you for sharing Angharad, it is still as entertaining as #1023. Or #2413... Or any other number, I love it.

Jo-Anne

I seem to remember a group standing trial in Nuremburg.....

D. Eden's picture

Some time back. If memory serves, their claim was that they were simply doing their duty.

Sounds suspiciously close to Andy Bond's response. There is in fact a point where an individual own moral compass should trump the requirements of their job. "I was following orders" didn't stand up for the war criminals at Nuremburg; it hasn't gotten any better as an argument after 70 years.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Power corrupts …

Rhona McCloud's picture

… even the sweetest of souls. Like Cathy and Andy none of us really believe that the old ‘power corrupts’ adage applies to us until one day we look in the mirror and wonder who we have become.

Rhona McCloud

A divided audience

I say move on. Next time Cathy just avoids touch the asshole who assaults her.

Andy was being helpful as well as being a shite at the same time. I don't blame Cathy for being cynical though. I won't condemn her for resenting that she was not being given the benefit of the doubt by Andy. I believe she has repaid the favor to Andy. And as for the police who protected her, they died of their own incompetence and the fact they insisted that Cathy not act to defend herself put them in that position also. Cathy has also protected the lives of some of said police officers also.

It is not unfair to expect equitable treatment having been the victim of a crime and subjected to an accusation from a person who was intending bodily harm on you, irregardless what has happened in the past.

I will have to side with Cathy on all this.

Just following orders, doing a job

I agree with Dallas and Guest Reader. Cathy is totally right about this. Andy shouldn't try to rationalize away the mistreatment of another human being just because it's a job! We are each responsible for our own actions, all the time! And you can't rationalize away that, no matter how hard you try.

I don't think that Cathy was totally blameless,

Mr. Bond really was doing his job.He does need to realize she was the injured party through and through though.

I bet there is an apology coming.

Storm in a teacup ?

or a sign that Cathy may be under too much pressure trying to pull together the different strands of her life, Andy has proved to be a big help to Cathy , It would be a shame to see a friendship end in such a way !

Kirri