Rules Are Rules: 38. The Sports Deal

Printer-friendly version

I borrowed a top from Alice that was as daring as I dared to be. "Um," she said, "I don't know if you're old enough for that top, but one thing I do know for sure: if you're going to wear it, you have to take a jacket, so you can close it up. You need the option."

Rules Are Rules

38. The Sports Deal

copyright © 2006, 2007 Kaleigh Way; All Rights Reserved

 


Part 38
 
I stayed at Alice's on Saturday night. She looked good, and she said she felt a lot better. Not happy, but not under the cloud like before.

She told me, "It's been nice having you here, and in some ways I wish you could stay forever, but I have to start sleeping alone sooner or later. Tonight, why don't you and Denise go sleep in your own beds. I'll be okay."

Then she gave me a big, big, back-breaking hug and said, "I really love you for being here when I needed you!"

While I was packing my stuff, Jerry called to invite me to the mall. I asked Alice if she was sure she'd be alright.

"Go, take off!" she replied. "I'll be fine. I'm a big girl. Not a tall girl, but a big girl."

"I can come," I said into the phone. "How are we going to get there?"

"My mother's going to drive us. Don't worry, though: she has to get Nina some shoes and clothes and stuff, so you and I can go around by ourselves."

"Okay," I agreed. "And I have a surprise for you!" Afterward I wondered whether it was a good idea to say that, but I couldn't take it back, and I did want to show my assets off to somebody besides Dr. Monroe.

I borrowed a top from Alice that was as daring as I dared to be. "Um," she said, "I don't know if you're really old enough to wear that top, but one thing I do know for sure: if you're going to wear it, you have to take a jacket, so you can close it up. You need the option."

The jacket was zipped up when Jerry rang the bell. "What's the surprise?" he asked. The jacket was bulky, so you couldn't tell that anything was different about me.

"I'll show you when we get rid of your family," I replied, blushing. Now I was pretty sure I'd done a stupid thing. Oh, well. Live and learn.

Jerry sat in front with his mother and I sat in back with Nina, who was very glad to see me.

"Do you know what I'm doing today, Marcie?"

"No, what?"

"Getting my ears pierced! Does it hurt?"

"No."

"Really? Will you hold my hand while they do it?"

"Sure."

She talked for the rest of the trip about movies she'd seen, books she'd read, new dolls she got or wanted. All girly topics. Jerry sighed and looked out the window, tapping his fingers.

"Aren't you hot with that jacket on, Marcie?" Mrs. Auburn asked.

"No, I'm good," I said. I think she knew I was hiding something. It occurred to me that I should get a t-shirt or something at the mall, so she could see me with the jacket open later. It might be a good idea anyway.


Nina was brave about the ear-piercing, and I gave her a big hug afterward. Mrs. Auburn kept looking at my jacket, so I decided that the first thing I had to do was buy a replacement shirt and put it on.

Jerry was waiting impatiently outside the jewelry store. I smiled at him and said, "I need to buy a top."

"Hell, no!" he said. "I've had enough girly stuff for one morning! Come on!" He took my hand and dragged me off to a sports store, where he spent a good hour looking at sneakers, baseball caps, and sports equipment. I tried to be interested, but I was pretty bored. I tried to talk with him, but he didn't hear me. He was so absorbed in the merchandise that he seemed to have forgotten me.

So I wandered off and found a girl who worked in the store. "Do you have any shirts for girls?" I asked.

"Anything in particular?" she asked.

"Um, just something to cover me up better." I patted my chest.

"Any team in particular?" she asked.

"Nope."

She laughed. "You're not a sports fan, are you?"

"Nope."

"Oh-kay-ee," she laughed. "Follow me!"

She showed me to a room in the back of the store that was full of shirts and caps. "These are baseball t-shirts," she said. "Women's on this side. You look like a small. And, uh, this one... if you don't care about teams, um..." she looked down the aisle at Jerry, to see what he was looking at. "Is he your boyfriend?" I nodded. "Then, um, how do you feel about black and orange?"

"Sounds like Halloween," I replied with a shrug.

Her eyes almost popped out of head. She said, "Oh-kay-ee," really slowly. I think she wanted to laugh, but I didn't see anything funny.

Then she reached past me, pulled a shirt off the rack, and put it in my hands. "How about this one? It'll go well with your eyes." She said the last part as if it were a joke, and I felt pretty sure she was putting me on, but I couldn't see how. In any case, I looked at the shirt and really liked it!

"Thanks," I said. "I'll take it." The t-shirt was a nice gray and blue, with a round neck and half-sleeves. She rang it up, and I shoved it in my purse. After another fifteen minutes, Jerry bought a pair of shoes and a baseball cap. The cap was black with orange letters on it. Honestly, it seemed like the ugliest one in the store, but he seemed excited about it.

When we got outside, he said, "Oh, hey, what was that surprise you had for me?"

"Oh, uh, okay," I said. "Now I feel really stupid."

There was an alcove between the sports store and the vitamin store. It looked like a good spot to show him. I pushed him into the alcove, past a big leafy plant, and opened my jacket, blushing (of course).

"Whoa!" he said. "Nice!" He grinned. "Can I touch?"

I hesitated for a moment, then said no.

I closed the jacket, and was about to zip it up, but he gently put his hands on mine. "Don't, don't," he said. He made an effort to look into my eyes, but his own eyes kept wandering down.

"Come on," he said. "Take the jacket off for a while. Let's go for some ice cream."

As we walked, I got a lot of looks from boys and men of all ages. It wasn't that my breasts were so big, it was just that the top really put them on display.

"I didn't know breasts could grow that fast," Jerry commented. "You didn't have those two weeks ago, did you?"

"Could you lower your voice?" I asked him. "I don't really want to talk about it."

While we were eating the ice cream, a big drip fell on my right breast. Jerry's eyes widened. "I can take care of that for you," he offered, smiling broadly.

"No, thanks, I got it," I said. I wiped the ice cream off with my index finger, then had to clean the sticky spot with a wet napkin. When I finished, I realized that I had a audience. I looked up at several sets of male eyes.

"Jerry, I have to go to the bathroom for a minute," I told him, and quickly made my way to a stall where I changed shirts. The new t-shirt was cute. It was a little tight, but not revealing at all. I felt a lot more comfortable. It reminded me that I needed some new bras, but I didn't think Jerry could handle that kind of shopping, and didn't know whether his mother would appreciate my bringing her son into the lingerie department.

On the other hand, Jerry might like it too much! In any case, I'd do it later without him.

When I walked up to our table, Jerry's jaw dropped. I could see the disappointment in his face. "You're kidding!" he said. "I can't believe it! You're kidding me!"

"I'm sorry, Jerry, but that other top was too revealing. It was embarrassing."

He scoffed. "I don't mean that," he said. "It's that Dodgers shirt. I never knew you were a Dodger fan."

"I'm not," I replied. "Is this a Dodgers shirt?" I looked down, and sure enough, the word "Dodgers" was printed on the shirt, just above my left breast.

"You didn't know!?" he exclaimed. "You didn't notice!?"

"No! Calm down! I just got it for the color! Is it really a problem for you?"

"If I buy you a Giants shirt, will you wear it?" he asked me.

"If it's that important to you, sure," I replied.

"Okay, wait here," he said, and he ran off, leaving me at the table. I watched his spoon shift slowly through his ice cream as it melted in the cup.

To tell the truth, I was a little miffed. I liked the shirt I bought, and had no idea what colors I'd just agreed to wear. I felt a little frustrated.

A chubby middle-aged man at the next table was chuckling to himself. "I'm sorry," he said to me. "I couldn't help overhear. If you don't mind my saying, that shirt does look very cute on you. They're nice colors."

"Thanks," I said. "Are you a Dodgers fan?"

"No," he said. "I couldn't care less about baseball."

"Me, neither. Hey, do you know what color the Giants wear, by any chance?"

"I'm guessing it's black and orange," he said. "Like your boyfriend's cap, right?"

"Oh," I said, and my face fell.

"Don't worry," he said. "You'll make it look good."

I had to smile at that, and he smiled back. "Ah, you've made my day," he said. "I better go while the sun is shining." And he left. He was nice, so I waved goodbye when he looked back.

After a long time Jerry returned, carrying a bag from the sports store. "Hey," he said. "Here is a shirt for you." He produced a black t-shirt with some orange letters over the chest. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

"Okay," I said, and looked at the size. It was a medium. "Jerry, it's way too big!" I looked at the cut. "And it's a man's shirt!"

"I thought you were a medium," he said.

I sighed. "We can go change it," I told him.

"Hmm," he said. "Do you mind going by yourself to do it? I don't want to walk with you while you wear that other shirt."

I was speechless for a moment. Then, in the spirit of compromise, I took out my jacket and put it on.

"Can you zip it up?" he asked.

"Are you serious?"

"Dead serious."

I looked at him for a moment. I was willing to make concessions, but I honestly felt he was going way too far. I know that I don't care about sports, but even taking that into consideration, I felt that he was making a big deal out of nothing.

"It isn't nothing," he said. "It's important to be true to your team."

"If I was a Dodgers fan, would you still want to go out with me?"

"It would be difficult," he said. "And anyway, you say Dodger fan, singular."

"I don't believe this!" I cried.

At the table behind Jerry, a big guy in a Giants cap was sitting with a little girl. He leaned back and touched Jerry on the shoulder. "Listen, man," he said. "Let her wear the shirt. It isn't worth it. Take it from me — I been married 25 years. And let me tell you: your wife doesn't need to be a Giants fan."

"She's not my wife," Jerry said in an irritated tone.

"She's not going to be your girlfriend either, if you don't back down on the shirt issue," the man said. Then he turned back to his food.

Jerry sat, stewing silently, fighting with himself, until finally he said, "Okay. Let's go change the shirt. Together. I'll get one for me in my size, then it will be clear. From now on, when you wear your Dodgers shirt, I'll wear my Giants shirt. Deal?"

I laughed and gave him a big hug.

"Good move, son," the man commented with a smile.


 
To Be Continued...

up
192 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Baseball...

Since there is no chance of the Dodgers OR the Giants moving back to the five boroughs, GO YANKEES!!!!

Much love, for pinstipes.
Toni

No Toni...It's

GO RED SOX!!!! Been a Sox fan all my life...

TGSine --

TGSine --958

agree to disagree....

Perhaps that would be the best policy since there is no way you're going to convince me to cheer for the sox, and I KNOW there is no way any Sox fan worth their salt would ever cheer for the Yankees... Unless that is you're cheering for Clemens to get banned from baseball for using steroids... in that case, we're on the same page.

Much love.
Toni

Nice story

Kaleigh you've had me hooked from the first chapter and I look foward to seeing how marcie's life continues to unfold.Toni you don't need to cheer for the Red Sox now it's the off season.So if you don't mind you can cheer the patriots on to your hearts delight.After all New York teams are so yesterdays news why not cheer for the best.Lol Amy

I am neither a Yankee fan or a Red Sox fan……

D. Eden's picture

But if you are going to throw out comments about Clemens and steroids, then perhaps you should remember all the stories about David Ortiz and steroids. Your precious Red Sox are far from being without blame.

As for me, I am a fan of the Dodgers - and anyone playing against Boston, lol.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

rules are rules sports

ok wow nothen wrong with the white sox.s or some of the other teems he he it just depend,s were you live but this is relly good and to bad it was not N D thats noter dam.anny way have a good one and ill be looking for the nixt half and the dude is right it aunt worth fighting with the lady
whildchild

mr charlles r purcell
verry good story i wood love to see a lot more of this all i can say is wow verry good thanks for shareing

Only a true Dodger fan…….

D. Eden's picture

Knows the origin of the name way back in Brooklyn.

The team was named for the infamous trolly car dodgers in Brooklyn. The team took on the name in 1896, eventually shortening it to the Brooklyn Dodgers.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Such poor taste!

Angharad's picture

Should be a Wales rugby shirt! Dewi Sant!!!!!

hee hee!

Angharad

Angharad

NAH....

I'm an All BLACKS fan myself.

Much love, for no pads or helmets.
Toni

Rugby...There's no American Pro Rugby teams

Rugby is fun, but in the USA there's no major league rugby teams. Since I'm Welsh (along with Italian, English, Pequot - an indian tribe in Connecticut and Swedish) I'd love to get a Welsh rugby shirt -- and a football (soccer) uniform, too.
TGSine --

TGSine --958

II you have tears ....

....prepare to shed them.

It is the word league that throws me. There is a Welsh Rugby League team, but they don't talk about it in the valleys much. The last time out it got beaten 50 - 26 by the Lebanon.

Mind you if your talking about the Rugby Union team. That's an altogether different kettle of fish. Although come to think of it ..... I don't suppose they talk much about them either at the moment. Some would say that they haven't exactly distinguished themselves of late.

Not me of course. I am far to generous hearted to gloat over the misfortunes of others. Wouldn't dream of it. Not the right attitude at all. I am the first to offer encouraging and soothing words, pointing out that it is taking part that matters. Winning isn't everything. Losing is infinitely better for the soul, and that there can't be winners without losers, so they really do have an important role to play etc.

So if you are looking for a Welsh rugby shirt my guess is that Ebay will be swamped with them, all at bargain prices.

Consolatory hugs,

Fleurie

Fleurie

Proof positive

erin's picture

He really is a Giants fan. Because it's Dodger fan, singular. One of the exceptions. :) This may be because it was originally the fans that were called Dodgers as in Trolley Dodger because to reach Ebbetts Field from Manhattan or the North side of Brooklyn, you had to dodge the trolleys in the trolley yard which was on the northwest corner of the ballpark. LOL.

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Jerry's learning an important lesson

... early. Relationships involve compromise. If he's learning it this early, he's way ahead of the game!

That said, Marcie needs to learn enough to "sound" like she knows a bit about the sport to hold her end. I'm not saying she needs to be a fan, far from it, but if sports are so important to her friend, she should take a look to see what it's all about.

I recall my mom saying something when I was growing up that, in retrospect, makes a lot of sense... "A lady should learn someting about almost any topic. This allows her to hold up her end of any conversation." In retrospect, the concept could well apply to just about anyone. It doesn't have to say you enjoy the topic, or in the case above are a fan, but it means you're not excluded from conversations just because you have no clue. That "lost" fealing is no fun.

Story's still a lot of fun!

Your mum was nearly right

Angharad's picture

it's about learning enough to ask an intelligent question, from there on it's easy, you feed off the info they give, assuming you manage to stay awake.

Angharad

Angharad

Marcie Has Just Won A Moral Victory

Here in the South, the biggest rivalry is between the football teams of Alabama [Roll Tide Roll] and Auburn {War Eagle]. Every year, the GAME is played for bragging rights. By Marcie winning the right to wear her Dodgers shirt as opposed to the Giants shirt, she now can stand up to Jerry on other issues. But Marcie still needs to take it easy with Jerry. If she doesn't, she can get into trouble. Then it will be Marcie in a Catholic School for Girls or worse; Military School for Mark.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I like Jerry, but.

that might not be such a bad thing.

I've never seen a tg story taking place in a
Military School, and it has some interesting
possibilities. Catholic School stories are
also quite nice , and I much prefer those
uniforms to the ones mentioned.

Having learned my lesson about the
Leeks, I won’t even suggest that I’d
assumed the Yankees were extinct
after that last series thing. (I think I
Heard a rumor from some friends down
In Boston.”

My favorite part of this story had to be
Jerry though.

“Can I touch ‘em.”

“No.”

“Can I touch ‘em.”

“No.”

“Can I touch ‘em.”

“No.”

Or, perhaps it was the fact that somewhere
I had the distinct impression that Marcie had to
think about it hard before she said no.

Thank you Kaleigh!

Bama/Auburn might be a rivalry game...BUT IT IS NOT 'THE GAME'

'THE GAME' is YALE - HARVARD Football. Anything Yale-Harvard play each other it is fun to watch -- including rowing on the THAMES RIVER (pronounce Thames, not TEMZ) in Connecticut.
TGSine --

TGSine --958

Nah! You've got it all wrong because…

…when it comes to inter varsity sports it HAS TO BE the Oxford v. Cambridge Boat Race which has taken place on the Putney to Mortlake stretch of the River Thames (in London) for over 150 years. It started in 1829 and the first race was held at Henley-on-Thames, but after that has been rowed on the Putney to Mortlake course (except between 1839 to 1842 when it was rowed between Westminster and Putney). The course is 4 miles, 374 yards. It is a strange fact that even people who have never sat in a racing rowing boat are fiercely partizan over whom they support. The whole of England seems to split as either an Oxford (dark blues) fan or a Cambridge (light blues) fan.

And then, of course there's the Varsity Rugby match, Footrball (Soccer) Match and of course the varsity Cricket match.

Oxford is the oldest English-speaking University in the world having been in existance before the year 1100. Cambridge is about 110 years younger, having been formed by a group of dissident Oxford students who fled north-east to Cambridge.

Just a wee bitty of English history,

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Any Sport...

Any sport you can think of, the most heated rivalry has to be Missouri-Kansas. They've been fighting each other since Quantrill torched Lawrence, KS and it really hasn't calmed down since :)

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

ummm

Go Mizzou?

Anyways, Great story hon, keep going!

Diana <-runs away in fear for her neck

ps I think they play football and basketball, not sure what else though

pps I think they should make power shopping a sport too :P

Still 'THE GAME' is the biggist Rivalry

Harvard is the oldest university in the USA with Yale the third oldest. When you have ESPN televise a D1AA game, you know it is BIG!
The oldest Yale - Harvard sporting event is CREW. Still popular to watch and some high schools in Connecticut do have crew teams.
What Yale Harvard competes mostly in is LIFE!!
TGSine --

TGSine --958

re: Rules Are Rules: 38

lol, my jaw was dropping while Jerry was going on about that...good grief.

That's honestly not too unrealistic, though. I find myself staring at people cheering in front of a TV most of the time, flabbergasted. I just don't get it, no matter how hard I try.

To tell the truth, I was a little miffed. I liked the shirt I bought, and had no idea what colors I'd just agreed to wear. I felt a little frustrated.

haha...you couldn't have managed to make her sound prissier if you'd tried. Then again, I'm sure you did. lol. I'm envisioning Reese Witherspoon from Legally Blond right now... it came on the TV the other night.

Your mirth doth vanquish my dark mood.

Gwen It is so pleasant to have your happy story sitting there waiting for me at breakfast time. It is a great way to start my day just now. I do hope that you continue with this story for a while.
Gwen Brown

I Never Thought That I Would Start Anything

But I see that my comment did generate some thoughts from others. This is a first for me. I love it when a story generates comments. What is amazing to me is when the comments themselves start generating their own comments. There are a few authors that deserve a second look at their works. Me, I look forward to a day when the authors here can claim authorship of published books.
May Your Light Forever Shine.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Clear demonstration

This episode clearly demonstrates why I decided for myself to refuse to wear any article of clothing that has text on it, no matter what it says.

Personally I don't care one bit about sports, least of all those weird American sports like American football, rugby, icehockey and baseball, most of which seem to be invented as a replacement for waging war.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Given the choice...

I would take a sports game over a war any day, without even having to think about it. And civilization as a whole would be much better off if conflicts were resolved through sports games, violent or otherwise, than through wars.

By the way, rugby isn't an American sport.

my bad

I wonder where they play rugby then: it's not exactly a popular sport on the European continent. Probably the UK and/or Australia then.

By the way: I agree about sport games to replace wars as long as those idiot leaders of the country who actually WANT the war are forced to be the players.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Go Dodgers

Well now, this has really become my favorite story. I new Marci was special . Aside from geting in more hot water than ever body's favorite red head in a I love lucy rerun . She's a dodger fan ! Face it you can do a lot more with blue than orange & black (eeeewwwww) . Unless your into goth double eeww

Stacie a butterfly never freed

Inasmuch as Marcie's Into Chemical Enhancements...

...I suppose there's something to be said for giving her a Giants shirt, especially if it has Barry Bonds' number 25 on the back.

Eric in San Francisco
(and a Giants fan anyway)

I guess..

What's the big deal anyway? I mean so what if she likes it, she likes it. Jeez what's the difference? Dodgers Giants? I don't even know why it's such a big deal. If she likes the colors great, if not, then what's wrong with her changing it? I don't know... oh well xD

 

    I just got to be me :D

 

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

First sensible comment

Sports - overgrown, overpaid boys playing silly games watched by silly people. The big rivalry around here is the OU-Texas game, half the people assume I'm cheering for OU 'cause I'm from Oklahoma originally, the other half figure I'm a Texas fan 'cause I live here now. By the day before the game I'm actually hoping a tornado comes along and wipes out the stadium just so they'll shut up!

Marcie picked the wrong team's colors? Is she supposed to care? If I were her I'd tell Jerry he ain't never gonna touch "them" if he keeps up with that attitude. My alma mater's colors are black and orange - black, okay at times; orange, you couldn't pay me to wear orange except a small bit at Halloween.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

The guy in the Giants cap was obviously ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... Jerry's guardian angel - perhaps actually a feminine spirit, in disguise so Jerry would believe her.

Besides both color schemes were wrong. ARE there any colors but red and blue ??? Go Chicago CUBS !!!

(Don't give me that! Any team can have a bad century. :-)

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

Dodgers??????

I sorry I love this story but Doders Giants GO Padres!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard

Richard

I hate to disagree

Sorry, but you can do more with black and orange. Little black dress comes to mind. I love reading this series, it's fun, and I look forward to the next chapter. By the way, Jennfier Billings is a Giants fan, hugs Arecee

Um, I thought.....

The Dodger was in 'Oliver Twist' and the Giant was in 'Jack and the Beanstalk' So I guess there's no hope for me? Oh, by the way, I'm also English!

A great story though.

Susie

Susan Heywood, wrong... :-)

The Dodgers are a Team - orginally named the Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers (also the Bridegrooms, too) the Giants were from New York City - Brooklyn was not part of NY City
then.
Teen American boys (including this mixed up girl) are always talking about sports. Girls talk about boys, boys talk about sports.
TGSine --

TGSine --958

Heehee

I liked the shrewd way you put in how Jerry could exclaim "Hell no! ... enough girly stuff..." and then spend for over an hour with looking at sports goodies. :grin:

Are all Americans really so intense with sports and which club and so? Competitive to a fault? I mean, surely most women aren't that serious about it all. It's only a game after all. Really.

But after I read most comments here? Gha. Mind you, I favour a football team over here, but it's not that big an issue if they don't do that well, in fact I often hear about their win ( or loss ) next after the weekend, cause I forgot to watch it. And I can't recall I've ever bought something with their club colours specifically.

But I think it's funny, all the hubbub, and I think you wrote about it in a nice parodic way.

Jo-Anne

You Are All Pikers

joannebarbarella's picture

When it comes to sport, man on man, or woman on woman, we've got you all beat. You Americans are just so lucky that we don't play American Football, or we'd own it. Who needs all that armour. You pussies!

Yeah, and who knocked Oz out…

…of the Rugby World Cup—AGAIN?

Sorry to rub salt in the wound, Joanne, but England did reach the Final. And my own beloved Scotland didn't do too badly.

And I soooooooo agree about the armour; you'd think big strong men would be ashamed to appear feart of getting hurt.

Gabi.
(ducking for cover!)

So glad BC's back!

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Hum?, I still wonder what is in that tea.

I have it, the solution to Major League baseballs's woes.

The commish of BB announces it at a huge dinner to exonerate those accused in the steriod/growth hormon scandal.

"We have developed a serium that when ingested by a person who rarely if ever used seriods, there are legitimate medical resaons for their use, nothing happens. But if they abused or were a chronic steriod user, they will be transformed into a busty blonde, the bustier and Blonder the more they abused it. It was slipped ito the dinner you were all served earlier ...Oops! Like or my god!

Rodger Clements and Barry Bonds stand up together and speak to a room full of Blonde bombshell types.

"Like where can a girl get a decent manicure around here? And like who stole our bras, fure sure! --giggle -- Like, let's pick up some guys, damn, we're ALL girls here.

* * * *

What is in that tea? I mean a girl during a growth spurt cna &grow* considerabl;y over the coure od a summer but a week or two? It is fiction and maybe it's noit the later bag of herbs but the one from the seer. Were that enchanted herbal tea? Um, what of the rest of him/her, is it only a nice pair or is the rest of him becoming her?

Funny with just a hint of *What were they/he/she thinking of?* topped off by wierd in a good way.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Are You A Scot Or A Pom?

joannebarbarella's picture

Gabi,
You have to get your loyalties sorted out. Anyway, one victory in a generation hardly gives you crowing rights. Nyah, nyah, nyah.

Sports

Yep, the competition between teams and fans can get a little out of hand sometimes but usually not to blows. Honestly, it is lost on me. I just regard 'professional athletes' as highly paid entertainers and leave it at that. Still I half way keep up with the scores and such. Just for something to talk about at the water fountain. :)
hugs!
grover

WOW!

Kaleigh,
All I can say is this neat little chapter opened up some real opinions about various sports teams.
With that in mind, I will say "GO USC" and I don't mean South Carolina. Plus The Yankees seem to have a problem handling the Mariners each year and who knows the Mariners might just make it to the series eventually. In basketball, who else but either UCLA or Gonzaga?
Then when it all comes together, we can all agree that we each have our own beloved
team(s) and to each of us they are the best of the best; so GO TEAM(S),YEA!!
Hugs to all, J-Lynn

Giants or Dodgers?

What the 'kin-ell's the difference?

I'd never heard of either before this chapter.

Go Marcie, that's who I support!

NB

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Sports Rivalry

erin's picture

Giants vs. Dodgers is one of the oldest sports rivalries in the world going back to New York City in 1890 or 1883, depending on how you count the first seven years when the teams were in different leagues. Or maybe it goes back to 1889 when the Gothams (Giants) beat the Bridegrooms (Dodgers) for the interleague championship. Both teams relocated to California in the 1950s, keeping the rivalry alive. The question of whether to wear Dodger blue or Giant black-and-orange can be important to young people who have one foot in each area.

I don't know an equivalent rivalry in the UK, though I'm sure there is one.

Marcie's indifference is funny in context because it's so girly. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

My God--I'm girly . . .

There must be something like that here in England, but for the life of me I can't think of what it is -- nor do I really care.

Which makes my indifference just the same as Marcie's . . .

As Sam Beckett said at the end of each episode: "Oh boy . . ."

Better hang on for the ride.

NB

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

The Royal Game

Equivalent rivalry in the UK Erin?

Well the Oxford Cambridge Boat Race has already been mentioned above dating from 1829.

And then there is of course the Ashes in cricket dating from 1882, although that does require the participation of some Australians. That is perhaps the most fiercely contested, and most partisan of all.

On a more parochial scale, there is the Ashbourne Shrovetide Football match. The 'Royal' game.

"Each year on Shrove Tuesday and Ash Wednesday, Ashbourne becomes a war zone! The majority of the able-bodied men, women and children take to the streets to play what is probably the largest football game in the world! - The two teams number in the hundreds, and the playing field is 3 miles long, 2 miles wide and has the town of Ashbourne in the middle!"

As the blurb says. Although it doesn't mention it takes place over two days. Oh and there are no rules. As far as I can tell anyway. It dates from Elizabethan times allegedly although the first written mention of it was apparently in a poem in 1683 by one Charles Cotton. He who was a chum of Isaac Walton who used to fish up here and wrote a book about it. (The fishing, not the game.) Which side you are on, the Up'ards or the Down'ards, depends on family allegiances going back generations. Those of mixed parentage have much soul searching to do, and as you can't please everyone, if they wish to maintain a physical integrity are well advise to find pressing business in some distant county over the Shrovetide period.

It may not draw the same international press coverage as some sporting events but that is probably partly due to the fact that no stranger in his right mind would dare venture anywhere near the town during the match. And probably partly because apart from the bloody and maimed bodies littering the area there is nothing much to see. It isn't really a spectator sport.

But if the level of fiercely contested sporting rivalry, not to mention the settling of old scores, is the yardstick then there can be little to come even near it

Hugs,

Fleurie

Fleurie

Rivalries in the UK

Angharad's picture

Celtic and Rangers, Manchester City & United, Everton and Liverpool. That's just soccer, then in rugby you have Cardiff and Newport or Cardiff and Swansea. In cricket, Lancs and Yorks. Virtually every city has a couple of teams that play to the death against each other or smaller towns in close proximity, like Dorchester and Weymouth. It's tribalism pure and simple.

Angharad

eh?

I just don't get sports, am I suppose to?

Sports

Thanks for sharing your views on the topic. It makes one think and look the other side of the story.

________________
Sports Uniforms

sports

like the story - not suprized boy is fan. the girl not so much, But, dont mistake this - I know quite a few women that are as fanatics as their male counter parts. and the SPORT IN QUESTION often depends on where you grew up and how much interest your family and or peers took in. I grew up in E. Oregon (USA) and outside the local Hi-School rivally with a town near by, Interest in sports was pretty low in general. As an adult via military ended up in North Carolina where mutiple levels of sports were nearly as or more fanatical as some religions. It was DEF. a shock to my system to think they took it so personally. It's like hockey. I've never understood it nor gone to a game, but I still understand the dynamics of why fandom becomes fanatic.

Someone mentioned Rugby, As I attended U of Maryland, the N.E. part of the USA on college level at least has quite a following, tho, I believe it's on same par with Lacrosse in the type of crowds it attracts which seems to be more upper-crust. Kind of like horses - I prefer Rodeos where many would prefer a genatically altered overbread horse run around a circle and think it's peachy :)

well if we can place a bet on it...it's now a sport -----lol

(back to enjoy the next chapter)

Dodgers vs Giants

if I remember the 2 teams had a rivalry when they were both in New York, and it continued when they both moved to California

DogSig.png