Olivia Twist ~ The True Story ~7

Printer-friendly version
Olivia Twist ~ The True Story ~ 7

By Susan Brown
In which I learn more about being a lady ~ Go on an errand ~ Meet old acquaintances

Angel

~*~

Chapter 7

My days were full and happy. A week passed from my meeting with Estella. We had no chance to meet again, as she had been called to her guardian the next day, although she had written me a quick note promising to see me upon her return. My dolly, kindly given to me by Estella, who I had named Molly, was a constant reminder of her and our time together and I looked forward to seeing her once again.

Life continued in my new home and every day brought new things for me to do and learn in my quest to be the perfect girl.

Mrs Bedwin was so nice to me, fussing over me like a mother hen. Indeed, everyone seemed to like me and it was such a change from my previous life.

The new below stairs maid, Jane, was quite nice too. She had taken Sarah’s place and was a quite a chatterbox; it was strange though as I seemed to find her staring at me more than seemed normal. I hoped that she was not jealous of my good fortune and that she liked me a little bit.

Sarah, my maid helped me with my dressing and deportment. She had so much knowledge, gleaned from her mother, and I am sure that she could be a lady too, if some rich young Sir came along and swept her off her feet; but that only happens in stories and this was real life. It seemed strange to me that I now had my own maid and how I had gone up in the world.

This training to be a ‘lady’ was not easy, I was forever doing things wrong; not standing right, sorry properly, not sitting correctly; taking too big bites of my food; the list was endless. At the end of each day I was quite worn out from all I had to remember.

For example, I was made to walk to and fro with a book perched upon my head; it was to make me walk straight and tall and like a real lady. It was hard and it made my head hurt, but I persevered and was pronounced adequate after three days solid practice.

However, the positive side of my new life was that I was living in a wonderful house with people that loved me and did not judge me for my past. The pretty feminine clothes that I was allowed to wear made me feel and look quite beautiful. I hasten to add that it was others that said I was beautiful, not I, for I did not want to fall into the sin of pride and I tried my hardest not to keep gazing at myself in looking glasses all the time, but it was hard.

The thoughts of being Oliver were getting dimmer as the days went by and I further immersed myself into being a young girl. The terrible things that I had experienced prior to coming to this wonderful place were also dimming into memory. The fear, hunger and degradation that I had encountered and lived through were fading into the past like a bad dream or nightmare

One day, while sitting in the library, I was reading a new story by Miss Charlotte Bronte and was thoroughly immersed. Mr Brownlow was reading a paper by the fire and opposite him was Mrs Bedwin who was concentrating on some needlework.

In the distance I could here the knock from the front door, but paid no heed; being engrossed as I was in the trials and tribulations of Jane Eyre. A few seconds later, the butler came in with a note on a silver tray.

I looked up from my book as Mr Brownlow opened the note and then told the butler that there would be no reply.

He looked at Mrs Bedwin and said, ‘I must get someone to return those books to the shop.’

‘I will get one of the maids or servants to do it, shortly.’

A desire to help in some small way and of wanting to venture outside prompted me to speak. I had been living at the house for a few weeks now and I longed for some sunshine on my face.

I put my book down and went over to Mr Brownlow and Mrs Bedwin.

‘Sir, may I take the books back. I would like a walk in the fresh air?’

‘Hmm… Olivia, I cannot allow you to go by yourself. What do you think Mrs Bedwin?’

‘Well, Sir, I am sure that the walk would do her good, but I cannot countenance her being abroad on her own.’

‘I agree. Olivia, I will allow you to go but you must be chaperoned by one of the maids, Jane I think would do. Mrs Bedwin, could I impose upon you to sort out the details?’

‘Of course, Sir. Come along, Olivia.’

‘Thank you, Sir!’

‘Not at all, my dear. Now run along and remember to do exactly what Jane tells you to do while you are out.’

‘I will, sir!’

I followed Mrs Bedwin out, almost skipping with excitement.

In no time at all, I was dressed in a day dress, bonnet and cape and was waiting eagerly for Jane to come upstairs so that we could go to the book shop. A few moments passed and at last, Jane came up to me, she was carrying some books, tied with a string.

‘Well, Miss, don’t you look the lady. Are you ready to go?’

‘Yes, Jane.’

I turned to Mrs Bedwin who was standing by me and gave her a hug,

‘Thank you for letting me go.’

‘Enough of that nonsense, my girl.’ she said with a laugh in her voice, ‘now be a good girl for Jane and do as she says.’

‘Oh I will, I will!’

A few moments later, we were on the busy street. My eyes blinked in the strong sunlight as we manoeuvred around the various bodies walking abroad and struck out for the town centre.

Jane held me firmly by the hand and I was grateful for this as I was somewhat nervous.

I was concerned that I would be taken as a boy in girls clothing. I thought that I might be unmasked and ridiculed. My heart beat faster and I felt slightly sick at the thought of such a calamity. After a short while I realised no one was looking at me strangely. Indeed I received smiles from many passers by. I could see no frowns or angry looks and so my heart started calming itself and I began to enjoy our walk.

Jane still held me firmly as we walked through many streets and alleys until we stopped on a corner. On one side was a public House and on another a church.

‘Why have we stopped Jane?’

‘Erm, we are meeting someone.’

‘Who?’

‘Mr Brownlow asked me to meet someone to give him a message and we are to meet here.’

I looked around and began to feel uneasy. This place was run down and reminded me of my first days in London when I was in the hands of villains. The place was filthy and smelled of unpleasant things and it did not seem a nice place to stop and wait for any length of time.

‘I don’t like it here.’

‘Don’t worry, Miss, he won’t be long now.’

She held my hand firmly still and I remembered my instructions to do as Jane said.

Several people of dubious nature passed us by. More than once I saw a wicked look or a sneer as we waited for what seemed to be an eternity.

After some time, I felt a tap on the shoulder and I jumped with shock. I turned around and saw to my horror, Bill Sykes, standing there with a scowl on his face and a look of murder in his eyes. He had a cloth in his hands and he placed it over my mouth and nose, effectively smothering my cries of alarm.

There was a terrible taste and smell in my mouth and after a moment I knew no more.

I awoke to a terrible headache, my eyes were watering and my throat was parched and sore.

I blearily looked around me as I regained my senses and saw that I was once again back in the lair of Fagin!

All was much the same. I was lying on a shelf; my pretty clothes had been exchanged for a rough grey shapeless garment. My hair was plastered around my face and I felt quite sick. Indeed I was sick on the floor; heaving my stomach up and feeling wasted and ill.

I looked up after my repeated heaving had stopped to find Fagin looking at me. The room was quite empty apart from him and me and I wondered with some concern what plans he might have for me.

‘Well, my dear; not feeling quite well yet? Never mind, you will feel better soon now you are back with us.’

‘Why are you holding me prisoner?’

‘My dear, we were worried about you. I was only saying to Dodger yesterday how much I miss my Olivia. Don’t worry you are safe here and no harm will befall you.’

I looked at his face, he was smiling but the smile did not reach his eyes. I was in danger and I knew it.

There was something else that worried me.

‘How is Jane and what have you done with her?’

Fagin looked puzzled and then his brow cleared.

‘Worried about her are you my dear? Such a thoughtful and considerate child you are. Have no fear she is safe. Jane will you come here?’

Out from the shadows came Jane; she looked well, for which I was relieved but she was no longer wearing the clothes of a maid, but street clothes of a rather cheap quality.

‘Jane I am so glad you are safe.’ I was relieved that no harm had come to her.

‘And why wouldn’t I be safe then little miss?’

‘I…I do not understand.’

I looked at Fagin; he had a knowing look upon his face that was mirrored by Jane. All was clear to me in an instant.

‘You did this?’

‘Nothing personal dearie, Fagin asked and as I owed him a few favours I helped. Now you can be like me and live off the streets and not with those la de la people who think that they are better than us.’

‘So you are not really a maid?’

‘Never; it was just a role to get you back.’

She laughed, but there was no humour there.

‘Well, Fagin, I must be off, I’m pulling tricks in the Dog and Duck tonight.’

She waved at me and left. I hated her more at that moment than I had ever hated anyone in my short life. I cried tears of bitterness and defeat. I was trapped with nowhere to go. Mr Brownlow and Mrs Bedwin would think that I had run off and would disown me and…

‘Olivia, do not cry my dear. It is of no consequence. You belong here with your friends not with people above your class. Remember, you were born in a workhouse. They were only interested in you as a charity case. You were only an amusement to ease their conscience. No you must stay with us and learn to manage as we all do…on our wits and keeping one step ahead of the law.’

I turned away and buried my head in my hands. I cried like I had never done before; heart wrenching sobs that shook me deeply. Eventually I must have slept as when I opened my eyes it was dark and I could hear the sounds of heavy breathing around me.

My eyes soon grew accustomed to the dark and I noticed a glimmer of light coming from over in a corner where I knew Fagin slept behind a curtain. There was the sound of hushed voices coming from there and I just new in my heart that I was being spoken of.

I quietly got out of bed and crept over to the curtain. I could now here the hushed tone of the conversation…

‘Bill, my dear, is it wise?’

‘Don’t ‘my dear’ me, you Averwishus old goat. I need someone small to get through that window and she’ll fit the bill.’

‘What about young Toby, he’s small and won’t blab?’

‘I don’t want Toby, it’s going to be Olivia or do I have to wring your scrawny neck?’

‘But why her Bill? There are others, why risk trouble on us all?’

There was a pause and then I heard something that I will never forget as long as I live.

‘Because she’s too good; too squeaky clean. We need to make her as bad as us, so she doesn’t have any hope of being dragged out of the gutter. So she won’t be in a position to peach on us.’

I gasped in horror at what I was hearing and before I knew it, the curtain was dragged apart and I was grabbed by Sykes and held up by my throat. My life was going before me and I could see madness in his eyes…

To be continued…

Angel

I will not beg for comments because it is unseemly, but if you have a moment in your busy schedule, please let me know if you like or not like this little piece.

My thanks go to Kristina L.S and Gabi for pulling this into shape.

up
73 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well done.

I'm really enjoying this. Have you thought about turning your hand to Pigmallion next?

Thanks,

Annette

olivia

verry good and i missed this its relly good keep up the good work and love n hugs to ya have a good one ,[email protected]

mr charlles r purcell
verry good story i wood love to see a lot more of this all i can say is wow verry good thanks for shareing

Poor Olivia

Sue Brown, I have enjoyed this story and hope that you continue to post future chapters. my one question is how Olivia will avoid a male puberty in that day and age or will she go back to being Oliver?
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hmmm

One of three ways I guess.

1) Herbal hormones - now.
2) Severe damage to the nether regions during a struggle.
3) Misidentified at birth.

I am discounting magic as this does not seem to be in the cards for this story.

Kim

Keep It Coming, Sue

joannebarbarella's picture

Talk about The Perils Of Pauline. Our poor little heroine is in a right pickle now. How are you going to rescue her? Did they have cavalry in those days? Of course they did. Stan has raised an interesting question too. Exit to tune of Lone Ranger,
Hugs,
Joanne