Easy As Falling Off a Bike pt 3053

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 3053
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
007b_0_0.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

I took a later train than Simon does—he doesn’t have to get a zillion girls ready for school—besides it also means I have about five seconds longer to decide what I’ll wear to the meeting. It will have to be comfortable is the only constant about my clothing, though I do occasionally take risks with shoes.

The black suit with the poppies around it, with a red blouse and red shoes was the decided ensemble. Daddy agreed to take the holy terrors into school and drove the VW minbus thing. I decided that a taxi was probably cheaper than the parking costs near the station, though in the end Stella gave me a lift. “You look very good in that,” she said, “though I’d have opted for black shoes and possibly a white blouse.”

That’s right Stella, point out all my fashion mistakes. I sighed.

“You obviously disagree and you do want to make an impact, which you will—that suit is very distinguished, as is its wearer. Give ‘em hell, girl,” she said as I thanked her for the lift and the gods of the roads for allowing me to get to my destination in one piece. Her driving has not improved but she does make me look reasonable behind a wheel.

I’d booked a first class seat because I wanted to do some work on my laptop on the journey and it tends to be quieter than economy, also more leg room. Thankfully, I saw no one I knew on the train so apart from getting a cuppa from the tea trolley that comes around, I was uninterrupted and did the extra work I wanted to do.

I took a cab from the station to the bank headquarters and as I had half an hour before the meeting was due to start I went and spoke to my assistant, who does most of the environmental stuff for me, though I have to approve it before she can submit anything. I showed her my paper for the meeting and she gasped.

“You can’t say that—can you?” she said looking at me in disbelief.

“I’m an ecologist, the project they’re part funding is ecologically unsound. I’m staying ethically congruent by suggesting they don’t fund it. What they decide is up to them, but at least I will have fulfilled my role. I didn’t sign up to tell them what they want to hear, but what they need to hear.”

“I hope you say that to begin, it shows you have some integrity.”

“I hope they all do. I suspect Henry will be embarrassed by it, but I do that to him quite regularly.”

“He’s very fond of you, isn’t he?”

“He seems to be, not sure why.”

“I think you speak to him on his wavelength, he’s basically an honest fellow.”

“Yes he is, though this might be pushing my luck.”

“You’ll soon find out, thanks for showing it to me—perhaps I need to push things a bit harder too.”

“Don’t do it too much, he can sack me but not from the family. You don’t have that luxury besides, you answer to me and I won’t let you do anything too suicidal.”

“You’re a great boss...”

“Yeah, because I’m not in the office very often.”

“Uh...” she blushed.

“I have to go—at least the blood won’t show on the blouse.” She laughed at my comment and I left her fiddling with her computer to go to the board room.

I bumped into Henry at the door and he pecked me on the cheek and bid me enter in front of him, being well mannered. We took our seats and I set my laptop up and my papers in front of it. We started the meeting with a coffee and a ten minute chance to flick through all the reports we’d have to work through during the meeting. It looked like a long day in prospect. It was.

First were financial reports of how the bank in general and in particular was doing. Si reported on the retail element which was making a profit despite the current uncertainties in the markets and housing with Brexit looming, and with the associated plunge in Sterling.

We’d now been in session for an hour and a half and Henry called for a ten minute break for loos and more coffee. I availed myself of both, coming back to my seat Si accosted me. “What on earth are you doing?”

“I beg your pardon?”

“The Brazilian paper, that’s what?”

“I tell it like I see it.”

“I know that but this isn’t a university debate...”

“I’m well aware of that, it’s one of the possible players in an environmental disaster. I’m just pointing it out to them.”

“On your own head be it.”

“I’m happy with that. I’m an ecologist and I’m telling it like it is.”

“Okay, just watch your back.”

“Why d’you think I wore the red blouse?”

He smiled—“To show you were coming out fighting, why else?”

“Quite.”

The meeting restarted and after a long report on the effects of Brexit so far and the contingencies they were investigating, it was my turn. I presented my paper, the highlights and explained the importance of the Amazonian area and its vulnerability to abuse and over exploitation. I also gave some reports of the corruptness of its local and national governments. After answering some questions, one or two quite aggressive ones, such as asking since when had we become the ethical bank, which had Henry twitching in his seat, comments were made prior to a vote on my paper and what action would be taken.

The gainsayers continued their attack thanking me for my research but reminding the board that our purpose was to make money for the shareholders, of which I was one. Of the twelve directors, four seemed very anti my paper. Three others had nothing to say except to compliment me on it but without revealing their feelings beyond it. Two directors spoke in favour of it and said the bank should seek some assurances that certain environmental conditions be met before agreeing the deal. That made me feel much better.

Three more passed without comment of any sort, four if you include Simon, who I suppose felt he couldn’t speak against his wife, though I would have accepted he had a duty to say if he thought I was wrong.

Finally, Henry spoke. “Professor Watts is an ecologist of some reputation and integrity, she is also my daughter in law, as you all know. I was unaware of the damage that is happening in this area, though upon reflection it doesn’t surprise me, nor do the levels of corruption and malpractice involved. I read this paper last night when Cathy submitted it. I also did some research of my own and found that she tends to underreport the problems of environmental damage and loss of diversity of habitat. Despite the fact that the bank could make long term gains for the next five years, I’m not prepared to sacrifice the future of my grandchildren for money. I am therefore voting against the loan without massive undertakings on behalf of the Brazilian government that they protect these species and do everything they can to protect and conserve habitats.”

“They’ll go elsewhere then, won’t they?” said gainsayer number one, rather loudly. “We’re a bank, Henry, not the World Wildlife Fund.”

“It’s actually called the Worldwide Fund for Nature, Dave, and I’d like to believe in the possibility of a time when bankers are seen as people of integrity again, not greedy grabbers who’d sell their own mothers if the chance arose to make a quick profit.” I began to see my pa in law in a new light and Simon looked gobsmacked.

In the end, they voted to approve a deal if the Brazilians gave certain reassurances. I voted against any deal because I knew it was a waste of time. After a working lunch, the afternoon dragged on and when we were finally finished, one or two patted me on the shoulder as they left. Henry approached me, hugged me and kissed me on the cheek.

“Thank you, dear girl, for reminding me that this bank and its reputation are more than just about making money.” He kissed me again and left.

“I hope you realise how far he went out on a limb to protect you,” said Simon.

“I do appreciate it, pity his son couldn’t do the same. See you later.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
252 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oops, Could There Be Trouble Ahead on the Home Front?

littlerocksilver's picture

Even before I read this episode, I wondered what was going to drive Simon and Cathy apart. She may be seeing the worst, but Simon certainly hasn't helped much.

Portia

I feel for Cathy; her own

I feel for Cathy; her own husband, knowing her mindset, background, and the fact she was specifically hired to provided the information she did; failed to stand behind her. SHAME on him.

Do women need the support of mere men?

Cor, I have just been sitting through a very rough and tumble Facebook discussion on "powerful Evangelical women split from male church leaders...". They have been so strident in their hatred of males, that I think they might all be lesbians. Yes, Simon could have been more supportive of his wife, though he is perhaps used to his father doing the heavy stuff. No mate can possibly be everything to their partner. They pay Cathy lots of money to do the sorts of reports she does, so if they don't like it, they can jolly well terminate her. I have sat in management meetings where I was sure the various members were going to kill and cannibalize one another.

Poor Si. In my previous life I was placed in that position a lot, and eventually found wanting.

Gwen

Rock and a hard place...

Simon is in a no-win situation here.

Cathy is obviously upset that he didn't come out vocally in support of her report and its recommendations, yet if he had, he runs the risk of the Board believing that the Camerons are running the bank as they 3 see fit, without listening to the Board and by extension, the shareholders.
But remember Simon's position as head of retail customer services. His division is by far the most fickle of the bank's areas of responsibilities. One need only look at Bank of America's shenanigans in creating over a million fictitious retail customer accounts to make everyone (i.e. Wall Street and Shareholders) think that the bank was doing better than it actually was.

So as Brexit comes closer to fruition, and the UK's economy gets more uncertain as the Sterling continues to fall against the Dollar, Simon could very well face hostile members of the Board seeking his ouster if his division becomes unprofitable. That might force Henry to have to spend political power keeping him on the Board, which could very well lead to members of the Board and activist shareholders trying to oust Henry.

For once, Simon kept his mouth shut, because that was really the best thing he could do.

Although he did put his foot in it at the end, trying to make Cathy realize Henry had spent some position power in following her recommendations. Cathy doesn't see position power, personal power, and political power the same way as Simon etc. does. She spends her own personal and position power, even her Goddess power, in the heat of the moment, using her morals as her guide. Very commendable, but sometimes not very far-sighted. The world would be a far better place if there were more people like Cathy IRL, but we have a long way to go before that happens.

'Otium cum dignitate'
Cicero2K

Speak truth to power

The phrase "Speak truth to power" comes to mind. Tough to do, but necessary at times.

As a very long aside, the phrase came to the public with the publication of "SPEAK TRUTH TO POWER A Quaker Search for an Alternative to Violence A STUDY OF INTERNATIONAL CONFLICT PREPARED FOR THE AMERICAN FRIENDS SERVICE COMMITTEE", but may have originated a decade earlier with Bayard Rustin.
The Origin of the Phrase "Speaking Truth to Power"

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

That last line...

"pity his son couldn't do the same."
I would kill to see the look on Simon's face.

A good one

After Cathy herself, Henry has always been one of my favorite characters, and he has (i.e. you have) not let me down.

Henry is a man of honor who

Henry is a man of honor who voted not to save Cathy, but the environment. Simon has feet of clay If he has a complaint , take it up with his father, not his wife.

Karen