Easy As Falling Off a Bike pt 3095

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 3095
by Angharad

Copyright© 2017 Angharad

  
007b_0_0.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

“Emergency, which service?”

“Police, please.”

“Could you please say why you want to speak to the police?”

“Yes, I have just found a dead body in my garden which I don’t think was there yesterday.” I know these people have to do their job to try and minimise the thousands of nuisance calls they get every day but I tried to sound matter of fact, perhaps I should have said, ‘I’d like them to move it before it begins to smell or my cat eats it.’

“You’ve found a dead human body in your garden?” she repeated.

“Yes, if was any other sort of body, I’d have buried it myself.”

“Um—quite—could I take your name and address, madam?”

“My full name?”

“Yes please.”

“My married or work name?”

“Which one is more appropriate at this moment, madam?”

“My married name.”

“Which is?”

“Lady Catherine Cameron,” I could have sworn I heard the voice mutter to a colleague, ‘You’ll never guess who I’ve got on the line—dormouse woman, herself.’

“Putting you through...”

I then played silly buggers with the police switchboard, which included the following, I kid you not, “How can I help you, Mrs Cameron?”

“I have found a dead body in my garden.”

“I see, how do you know it was dead?”

“I’m a scientist, so I know when things are dead—I have large numbers of dead things in jars in my laboratories.”

“But not humans?”

“Uh no, we’re not a medical school.”

“But this in the garden of your house, not your university?”

I was beginning to wish I called the non-urgent police number, then I could have made some tea and had a nice chat before they came out to clear the corpse from my copse. “It is in the orchard of my garden, yes.”

“And you’re sure it’s dead?”

“I could ask my husband to stick the garden fork through it to make sure if you wish...”

“I don’t think that will be necessary.”

“Well I thought it might confuse the pathologist, so I’m glad you agree with me.”

“Quite—now is the body a man or a woman?”

“Yes.”

“I beg your pardon?”

“It’s an adult man or woman, not sure which.”

“There are ways to tell them apart...”

“I’m well aware of that, I’m a biologist, I meant that I didn’t disturb it for the sake of the SOCOs.”

“You’re familiar with police procedures?”

“I hate to say it but if your colleagues want to look at things in daylight, I suggest we stop talking about inanities and you get a car load of them over here PDQ, I’ll go and put the kettle on. Goodbye.”

I heard squeaks from the phone as I switched it off, the rate it was going it would have been teatime before they got round to sending out a team and I haven’t had my breakfast yet.

I turned to see Tom smirking at me. “Don’t you start,” I cautioned him.

“I cannae believe that someone takin’ a call reportin’ a deid body would take sae lang to even consider sendin’ oot a team tae investigate. Are ye sure it’s deid? Heavens above, wit for did they ask that?”

“Because finding someone dossing in a sleeping bag would require a different response and is not an emergency.”

“If they’re deid, is it an emergency, blue lights are no going tae save them.”

“Yes, but if they’d not long been killed by someone, they might still be about and they might just catch them.”

“No thae way they we’re talkin’ tae ye.”

“Perhaps she thought I was a lonely old lady and needed to get out more...”

The conversation was interrupted by sirens and blue lights screaming into our driveway as at least two cars arrived and a third blocked the gateway. ‘Simon’ll be happy when he gets up, he’ll have to walk to get the papers.’ I thought to myself.

Before the doorbell rang a flurry of bodies—live variety—flooded into the kitchen. “Woss going on, Mummy?”

“Yer mither’s foond a deid body in yon orchard and thae keystone cops hae come tae investigate.”

“I thought it was Hampshire Constabulary?” challenged Livvie.

“Aye it is,” offered Tom.

“Well it’s clearly not the keyhole cops or whatever you said it might be, is it?” She sounded like Hermione from the early Harry Potter films.

I left them to deal with it and pulled my coat on before going to show the police where our deceased visitor was hanging out.

“Oh it’s you, I should have recognised the name, shouldn’t I?”

“Hello, Inspector Plod, I mean Plume.”

“Very funny, Lady Cameron, now shall we stop the insults and you show us where this body is supposed to be.”

“This way, Inspector, boys and girls.” In some ways I was relieved the body was still there. It would have been somewhat embarrassing if it had got up and walked off somewhere.

“You haven’t touched anything?”

“Only to ascertain it was dead, otherwise I’d have called an ambulance.”

“Of course. You found it, when?”

I glanced at my watch, “It’s nine o’clock, about half an hour ago.”

“Why did it take so long for you to call?”

“It didn’t, I just got distracted by playing games with the switchboard people, including your own. I began to wonder if we were summoning the forces of law and oppression or starting a relationship.”

“Law and oppression—is that what you think of us?”

“I have had a variable relationship with your colleagues, so try not to interact if I can help it.”

“Why ever not, you have a great reputation amongst the local officers.”

“Yes, I believe they call me the pension cutter or the terminator.”

“Uh there have been hiccups in the past.”

“That’s one way of describing it. I’m going back in the house to make some tea, who’d like a cup? One, two, three—so all seven of you? All with milk? Okay, ten minutes.

I left them all standing over the corpse presumably trying to work out what happened—probably hypothermia. I’d felt nothing for whoever he was. Usually I have some inkling, pick up on something from them about either who they were or how they died. But it was zilch on this one. Oh well, I’ll let the plod do their stuff and one day in the not too distant future, we’ll get an answer—and pigs will fly, but only in the police helicopter.

Of course I had quite a number of volunteers to take the teas out to the police, so I let Julie and Phoebe carry the trays knowing full well that there would be either a screen or a tent thing over our immobile visitor by now and ‘do not cross’ tape half way down the drive.

“Huh, we couldn’t see anything,” they complained, I simply shrugged. “You knew, din’t you?”

“Who me?” I said innocently, thinking that they’d probably seen as many whodunits as I had or news reports where the body is covered for decency and to reduce the ghoul’s view points, including two of our own.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
264 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Dang!

Maddy Bell's picture

Far too short!

So who is it?
Why was there no aura?
Will the plod work it out?

Now i've got to wait again, grrrr!

Only kidding, I can be patient.

Mads


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

I absolutely loved.......

D. Eden's picture

The conversation on the phone with the police. If you call 911 in many of our large cities, you actually get a recording or get put on hold. Laughable, but true.

Eden

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Your call is important to us .....

Here in United Kingdom calls to emergency services 999 are answered quickly, then transferred to police, ambulance or fire/rescue after checking telephone number to determine which area. Sometimes borders don't agree with phone numbers.
For non-emergency police calls to 101 are directed autocratically to nearest police control., though with a short pause to allow the caller to pick an alternative police service, never needed that option. That is when you can join the queue.
All that with no charge to caller.

Only in a police helicopter?

Unexpectedly funny.

(That may not have come across quite as I meant...)

I keep six sound retainers,

They've served me long and true,
Their names are what and where and when,
and why and how and who!.

(Kipling.)

The investigator's mantra - and Kathy's I'll warrant.

Still loving it Ang and thanks!

bev_1.jpg

A lot of time the calls will

A lot of time the calls will be switched around because no-one really wants to "work a dead body scene", especially early in the morning. Kinda ruins the entire day, not only for the dead person, but also the cops.
I can remember having just got to work at Minneapolis Air Reserve Base at 0730 on a Sunday morning. I was busy assigning patrol officers to their sectors, when a woman and a man walked in and told us they had just found a headless dead body of a woman,
Went out with another officer and we saw the body laying just on the boundary of the Air Base and Minneapolis City line.
She had a T-shirt pulled up, so it did look like a headless corpse.
Thankfully, when we checked, she was not dead; but with the weather they were having just then, by all rights she should have been, just by exposure.
Found out after we got her awake, that she had been taken from a Native American Reservation nearly 80 miles south, given lots of alcohol, then used, abused, and finally "tossed out of a car" at the location where she was discovered.
She did not even know where she was when I asked her.
When I informed her that she was in Minneapolis, she was truly shocked. Turned out she was only 16 years old, and all she had on her person was an ID card for her Tribe.
Thankfully, because of how she was laying when found; the majority of her body was in Civilian police jurisdiction.
I called MPD and said "send a unit and an ambulance" ASAP. We placed her into my Unit to warm up until the ambulance arrived.
Short report for me; but not so much for the Minneapolis police officers who arrived at the scene.

I once found a dead body ...

... on my way to work. Unusually I was in the car rather than my bike for some reason and going to the company training school to do some useless management course or other and driving along a quiet suburban street when I saw what I thought at first was an abandoned Guy (it was just before Guy Fawkes Night - 5th November for non-Brits).

Sadly, it was a smartly dressed, middle aged woman lying tidily on her back on the pavement, eyes wide open. I sent some children who were on their way to school to knock on the door of a nearby house to get then to dial 999 (no mobiles in those days). An ambulance arrived very quickly and I gave my name and address but heard nothing more. I'm ashamed to say I was glad she was dead as I was dreading having to perform mouth to mouth resuscitation.

The funny thing is I shouldn't have been there at all. My course was the following week. I'd mistaken the date but I did always claimed my work diary was a write only device. I always said if I was needed at a meeting they'd phone ask where I was.

Robi

I'm surprised she had to go through all that

Considering all the 'business' she throws their way, one would think it would be more cost effective just to assign her a full time liaison ^_^

The 64 million (thousand is so passe) quid question is how in the world did that person wander into her property and why did she was not 'tapped on her shoulder' by a certain goddess as soon as that person died.

Maybe the goddess can send that person's shade to her to answer some questions? Or maybe she can ask Billie to do some long distance questioning for her, you know, ghost-to-ghost ^_^

Finally back after an exhausting couple of weeks

with my daughter's husband's mother staying in our home over the holidays, then a really hectic week in Las Vegas for the consumer electronics show. (Yes, working ... working from breakfast till midnight bed times ... definitely not a week long party.)

Trying to catch up on Cathy and company. Thanks Angharad for continuing to post and add new twists to this tale.

Woody

The body in the orchard

The body in the orchard could well be an Agatha Christie novel. Miss Marple shaking her head and saying "Oh dear" ...
Only time and our author will decide how the story continues.

Back in the real world, It's a Sunday morning, the foghorns have been busy in the Solent so I suspect it will not be sunny today.
Loving the story as always Ang.
Love to all
Anne G.

I Really Believe

joannebarbarella's picture

The conversation with the police!

Lets not forget the tongue

Lets not forget the tongue lashings to come. Where's Danni?

Karen