County Sheriff -03- An Unwelcome Visitor

Printer-friendly version

[Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend]
The town was quiet that day. The next county was having its fair. This was the first of the season so a lot of the townspeople had decided to head on over there to enjoy themselves.

I was in the office doing some of the never ending stream of paperwork that a Sheriff seems to attract almost every day of the week when the front door burst open and a man in his 50’s burst in.

“Can I help you Sir?” I asked trying to put a smile on this rude interruption to my work.

“You dammed better be able to help me,” came his gruff reply.

The accent told me right away that was from New York but with strong Irish undertones.

“Where is he? That scumbag nephew of mine who seems to think putting on a skirt can escape from his family.”

I knew in an instant that he was actually referring to Kelly.

“I take it you are referring to Deputy Kelly Fitzpatrick.”

“That’s not right.”

“Well, that’s her legal name. It tallies with the name on her passport and other documents.”

“They are all fake. She’s having you on. She is really a he!”

I smiled.

“Who are you by the way?”

“I am the new head of the family. Donal Ronan O’Gara is my name and I come from God’s own County, County Galway but I have been in the FDNY for the past twenty-five years.”

“I’m Sheriff of this County. Matt Beecher is my name.”

Now that we had been introduced I could answer his statement about Kelly.

“I knew that Kelly had legally become a Woman. Her medical would have revealed if that wasn’t correct. As far as we are concerned Kelly is a woman.”

I carried on before he could reply.

“What is it you want with her?”

“He stole a lot of money from the family. Money that should have gone to other members of the family.”

The smile that was on my face disappeared in an instant.

“That is a pretty serious accusation you are levying at one of my Deputies. What facts do you have to back them up?”

He didn’t answer.

“I was chosen to be head of the family so that I could return to them what is rightfully theirs.”

“And what might that be?”

“Five point five Million Dollars.”

The amount stunned me.

“Are you saying that she stole it?”

“Yes. Yes, he did.”

“How?”

“By forcing his Grandmother to change her will.”

At that, my heart sank.

That was just not like the Kelly I had come to know these past six months.

“Why do you say that?”

“Why else would she give most of her money to my Charity and some to my bastard nephew. That is not what OUR family is all about.”

“I see. A bit out of character then?”

“Dammed right it was. So, where is he?”

Then I realised what had been troubling me about him. He was carrying a concealed weapon.

“Let me take some notes and then I’ll ask my Deputy when she reports for duty in the morning.”

“He’s not here?”

“She has the weekend off. I have no idea where she is.”

I did but I was not going to tell him. I reached into my desk drawer and pulled out my Glock 9mm.

“Now Sir, I want you to slowly remove that weapon you are carrying and place it on the desk in front of you.”

“Why? I have a right to bear arms.”

“Sir, that is indeed correct but not inside a Police Station. There is a notice on the door that you came through instructing you to declare each and every weapon when they come inside. You didn’t so… I need that weapon and then I’ll arrest you for carrying a concealed weapon without a permit in this state and for carrying a firearm in a prohibited place according to the law.”

The look he gave me was a look of death.

Very slowly he took his pistol out of the shoulder harness and put it on the desk. All the time he was staring at the business end of my Glock.

“Good. Now turn slowly and walk over to that door.”

“Where are you taking me?”

“To the cells.”

“I want a lawyer.”

“In due course one will be provided. But, first I must do my duty and put you in the cells. Then I’ll process you. Then we can see about a lawyer but I have to remind you that this is a Holiday weekend, so don’t expect so see one in an hour.”

“I am not saying anything.”

“That is your right but first, the Cells. If you please?”

I marched him into the back of the Station where our three cells were located.

Once the door was closed and locked behind him, I said,

“Right, your belt, shoulder holster and shoes. I am sure that you know the routine?”

After a disapproving grunt he complied with my requests.

“Thanks.”

“Do I need to read you your rights or do you know them?”

“I know them. I’m not answering any questions until I see my lawyer.”

“That’s good to know.”

“What am I being charged with?”

“Carrying a concealed weapon inside a Police Station. There is both a state and county law on the subject. The exact numbers will be on the charge sheet which I will prepare for your lawyer.”

He nodded. It was obvious that he knew the ropes.

“I have to process you. Fingerprints, mugshot and DNA swab. Any objections?”

He didn’t answer.

“I’ll have to wait for the deputy on duty to come in. He is our fingerprint expert. He will be here at the end of his shift shortly.”

All I got was a glare for an answer.

Back at my desk, I went through his belongings and itemised them. Once he’d signed the sheet I left him alone to stew for a while. I knew that Tom would not be back for at least an hour. I pondered calling him, but in the end I decided against it.

After looking at the mountain of still unfinished paperwork I sighed and pushed it aside and started filling out the charge sheet for my unwelcome guest.

However, my mind wasn’t on the task. I kept thinking of Kelly. I knew I had to do something about my relationship with her sooner rather than later.

Several times, I reached for my phone to call her but resisted. She was over in the next county at their fair. It was her first experience of such an event which even included an amateur Rodeo. I wanted her to experience it all on her own. Phoning her now would be a real downer to what I was hoping would be a very enjoyable day out for her.

By the time I’d finished the charge sheet, Tom had called in to say that he was returning at the end of his shift. This spurred me into action to call Sue-Ellen and explain to her about the prisoner.

“Can you take the night shift tonight?” I asked.

“That’s great. What time are they due back?”

“Ok. If you cover from nine, I’ll be on duty till them. Thanks Sue-Ellen.”


Tom arrived back just before 5pm.

“What idiot has parked their car over three spaces?” where his first words after he’d come into the office.

“It belongs to our prisoner.”

“Prisoner?”

“Came in here asking for Kelly carrying a concealed 9mm.”

Tom smiled.

“Oh dear.”

“Exactly.”

Then I added,
“Can you go move the car to the pound and give it a search? If he has one weapon, then there might well be more.”

“Sure thing boss.”

As he turned to leave I stopped him.
“You’d better glove up and if you find anything give me a call on my phone. No use broadcasting the fact that we have a guest.”

He smiled back at me.

“Sure thing Boss.”

Less than 10 minutes later, my phone beeped.
I saw that it was from Tom. The SMS had a picture attached. As I saw it, a shudder went down my spine. It was almost as if I was back in Iraq manning a road checkpoint. There was a veritable arsenal in the trunk.

I joined Tom outside to view the evidence.

“The Mak-10 is loaded. The 45 has hollow point ammo and there is about 1500 extra rounds for the Glock and the Mak.”
“So, we have him on the loaded Mak. Anything else?”

Tom grinned.

“I saved the best to last.”

He went to the front passenger door and opened it.

“I noticed that the panel was loose.”

With a huge smile, he pulled it off to reveal at a cache of explosives.”

“This guy comes well prepared.”

I just nodded. All this weaponry made me worried. It was clear that he’d come here with the clear intent not leaving empty handed. Thankfully, he was locked up all nice and safe.

“Carry on with searching the car but something is not right. It just does not jell correctly.”

“Boss?”

“If he wanted to kill Kelly just one gun would have done it. Why everything else? Why was the Mak loaded? Did he fear someone here or on the journey?”

“What does he say?”

“He lawyered up right away.”

Tom laughed.

“You explained that there are no lawyers available?”

“I did. He didn’t care.”

“Boss. That makes no sense.”

"I agree. But what is?”

After a second or so’s silence I added,

“Carry on pulling the car apart. I have a hunch that there is at least one more surprise waiting for us. What do you think?”
Tom looked at me with a wry smile and nodded his head.

“This sure beats having to go to the In-Laws for a BBQ.”

I left him to pull the Beemer apart. I was a little unsure if he could put it back together again but we’d cross that bridge later.


After checking that my prisoner was ok and taking his order for Dinner I went back to my desk and started to think about everything and anything and nothing in particular.

The whole thing was a mystery and a mess and just didn’t make sense. The only person who could make some sense of it all I really didn’t want to call.

Tom dragged me back to reality when he came bounding into the office clutching a large package.

“Guess what I found inside the back seat.”

“Drugs or Money?”

“The latter,” replied Tom carefully opening the package.

At least forty bundles of $50 bills fell onto my desk.

“Fifty G’s?” asked Tom.

“Closer to a Hundred.”

I picked up a bundle and flicked through it.

“Brand new with consecutive serial numbers. A Pay-off or stolen? What do you think?”

Tom grinned as he fished out a slip of paper and read it.

“Neither. According to this bank slip it was withdrawn from a Bank in Islip on Long Island last Friday.”

I almost snatched the slip from him and read it with bulging eyes.

“If this is legal then why is he really here?”

“I don’t know so why don’t you call her?”

“Her?”

“Kelly….” Then he added,

“Boss, can I talk man to man for a moment?”

Before I could think I said,

“Yes.”

“Bo... Matt, we all know that you are sweet on her. Why else have you gone to almost any length to avoid going on patrol with her these last months? When she comes into the Office your eyes go all soppy. Am I barking up the wrong tree?”

I knew he was right.

“Yes. Well, No…” I replied in little more than a whisper.

“So why haven’t you asked her out?”

I was lost for words.

“She told us you know.”

“Told you what?”

Tom sighed.
“Sometimes Matt you are real stupid. Kelly told us about her past and everything.”

“I didn’t know.”

“That’s because it does not matter to us. She is a very good deputy and a decent person. We aren’t in some redneck backwater you know.
What more do you need eh?”

I couldn’t answer that. Instead I turned my attention to matters in hand.

“Something just does not feel right. Here we have a prisoner who has not been demanding a lawyer and seems quite content to sit there in a cell. Why? What’s wrong with that?”

“I agree. Why did he some waltzing into the Station like that? He could have asked just about anyone where Kelly lived.”

“Call her then. He claims that they are related so what if there is some history?”

I sighed.

“Yeah, you are right.”

Tom smiled at me.

“Good. While you do that, I’ll put the car back together as best I can. Then I’ll be off home.”

“Thanks Tom.”

He just grinned back at me.


[two hours later]
Kelly came breezing into the Station without a care in the world.

“Hi Boss.”

“Good evening Kelly. I take it that you had a good time at the Show?”

“Yes. It was great. Well it was until I got some unwelcome attention.”

“Oh who from?”

“A certain State Trooper.”

“Oh, you mean Harvey?”

“Yes. Him,” she replied sternly.

“But why is he called Harvey? That isn’t his name.”

I grinned back at her.
“His name is Stewart James. Swap them around and you have James Stewart. Jimmy Stewart starred in a play and a film called Harvey. It was about a Rabbit.”

“No wonder he hates people calling him that to his face.”

“He threw a baseball at Coach once because he was called that for missing a catch in a crucial match at High School. Thankfully, he missed. I hope he wasn’t too… well, you know?”

“A couple of elbows in the ribs put him his place.”

I grinned back at her.

“What was it you wanted that you couldn’t talk about on the phone?”

The grin disappeared from my face in an instant.

“Go take a look through the peep hole into Cell no 1. Don’t say anything just look and then come back here.”

Kelly looked at me with a distinctly puzzled look. When I didn’t add anything, she gave a slight shrug of her shoulders before doing what I’d asked of her.

It didn’t take her long to return with a look of pure hatred on her face.

“What’s Lol doing here?”

“Lol?”

“Lol is Lawrence Monaghan. Loan shark enforcer, bookie debt collector and general thug.”

I had to laugh.

“What’s so funny? He’s a shit!”

I passed over the ID he’d presented.

“He came in here claiming to be head of your family and asking, no demanding to see you about a property of your Gran’s. Then I saw that he was carrying a concealed piece so I arrested him.”

Kelly’s mouth was doing the dying fish impression.

“But he didn’t resist. Tom then found that lot in his car,” I said pointing at the pile of weapons on the table at the side of the office.

“What was he driving?”

“A white 5 Series Beemer with a gold roof. Why?”

“Oh shit. We are in trouble, big trouble.”

“Why?”

“If my memory serves me right, it belongs to Viktor Lysenko. Lysenko is an enforcer for the Brighton Beach Russian Mob. They will be after him and they won’t take prisoners.”

That remark stunned me into silence.

A chill had suddenly come over the whole place.

“So, he’s on the run?”

“It appears so. But why would he come here and let me arrest him without a struggle?”

Kelly smiled.

“Because we offer a safe haven?”

That thought hadn’t crossed my mind but it made perfect sense.

“There is a hundred large over there. This must be his flight stash.”

Kelly shook her head.

“No why?”

“Rumour has it that he’s been skimming some of his collections off the top for years. It is probably in the Caymans or some other tax haven.”

“And didn’t anyone stop it?”

Kelly laughed.

“Lol had a reputation for getting blood out of a stone. If the alternative was getting nothing, then getting most of what was owed is better than nothing.”

“I get it.”

I thought for a few seconds.

“What should we do? I’m asking because this is not the sort of thing we normally experience around here.”

“I know and that’s why I love it here.”

"‘Do you think Lol is on the run?” I asked.

“What? From Viktor?”

I nodded.

“Why don’t we go and ask him? Can I do the honours? I have an idea?”

I grinned.

“Why not. You know him and he was after you or rather your Gran’s house.”

“Oh. That. It sold last month. My guess is that he wanted to extort some money from me in return for not telling my family where I am.”

“Don’t they know where you are?”

She nodded.

“Just my cousin Dermot. He’s gay but firmly in the closet. His sister knows as well but I told her that if she told on me, I’d out Dermot.”

“Blackmail eh?”

“Just normal for a large family. Secrets and Lies everywhere you care to look.”

Kelly thought for a minute.

“I really don’t want all the press attention we’ll get if we involve the Feds as we should. I have an idea that might get him out of our head but leaving most of his stash of stuff here.”

I looked at her. I could tell that she was serious about the press and her standing in the community.

“I’m all ears.”

[half an hour later]
“Well hello Lol. Long-time no see eh?” said Kelly.

Lol looked at us and smiled.

“Well, here he is, the family outcast,” he said glaring at me.

“That’s strange coming from someone who never knew his father. Didn’t he get blown up in Belfast trying to bomb a British Army barracks only to have it go off right outside a Catholic School?”

He glared back at the two of us.

“Touché.”

“So, Lol, what gives? It seems that you didn’t put up much resistance to being arrested? You didn’t come halfway across the country just to see me with some fantasy about getting the money from a house that my Granny is supposed to own?”

He glared at Kelly again.

“You don’t know do you?”

“Know what?”

“Your beloved grandmother was into all sorts of schemes in the 1950’s.”

“Well, my grandfather was no use once he took a bullet in the skull on St Patricks Day in 1957.”

He nodded.

“She was one very rich lady. She owned a Brownstone on the Lower East Side. Once she died, it was sold for a cool five million."

This was obviously not a surprise to Kelly. Well, she feigned the news brilliantly.

“The street was saying that all the money went to you. So, when things went pear shaped I figured I’d head out of the city. This was as good a place as any. I needed a grubstake so… here I am.”

“In a very hot car? Are you stupid,” asked Kelly.

Lol grinned.

“I didn’t graduate from the Bronx school of hot wiring for nothing. I disabled the GPS and the tracker before I got off Staten Island.”

“You were with Victor’s wife?” asked Kelly.

“Yeah. My bit on the side for the last six months.”

“You must have known that you’d get found out. Was it worth the risk?”

“You bet. She’s an animal in bed,” he replied with a huge grin on his face.

“But you got out?”

“Victor texted his wife when we were in his bed to say that he was going to take her out for a surprise lunch. I just about had enough time to get dressed and slip out the side when he came in the front. My wheels were several streets away so I took his car because he’d left the keys in it and hot-footed it towards the Verrazano and I-80. That was almost a week ago.

I grinned.

“You didn’t think to look in the door panels or the back seat now did you?” I said slightly gleefully.

As sudden realisation that he’d goofed spread over his face.

“How much?”

“Almost a hundred big ones and six blocks of C4.”
“Shit!”

“Yes Shit. You could be sunning yourself in Cancun as we speak. Instead, here you are locked up facing at least a 10 stretch for what eh?”

“Ok. Ok. I get it, I’m up shit creek.”

I looked at Kelly and gave her a nod.

“However, we want to keep a nice quiet life. So, we are prepared to let you go but without a very hot car, its contents or your illegal firearms. Don’t you know that it is illegal in this state to possess a firearm with the serial numbers filed off? Then there is the little matter of the loaded Mak-10’s.”

“They were in the trunk when I took the car. You won’t find my prints on them.

“They were in your possession and as they say possession is nine tenths of the law but in your case, it is at least a ten stretch in a Federal Pen but Viktor will make sure that you never see ten days let alone ten years.”

His face dropped.

“Where would I go? And how?”

I laughed as I said,

“We have an old pick-up in the pound. It is due to go for scrap but I am sure that it could be diverted to get you out of here. I’m sure it will let you get to Denver but there again, once you go over the state line, you are no longer our responsibility.”

Lol glared at me for a long second. Then he realised that I was serious.

Then Kelly piped in,
“We’d give you a sum of money that would get you out of the country but…”

She paused for effect.

“The conditions are fairly simple.”

“Firstly, you don’t come back here ever. Secondly, you never mention that you have met me here. If what you say about my Gran and the Brownstone is true I’d expect a few members of my family would want some if not all of it. As I don't have it, then they can ask all they like.”

“And if I don’t?”

“I put the feds onto you. The FBI really don’t like moving illegal weapons Interstate. Then there are the money and the ATF will want their slice of the action for the explosives. All in all, Lol, you are in deep shit. It could even be life if the weapons can be traced back to a murder or two? You know as well as I the line of business that Viktor is in…”

“So what is it to be?” I asked.

“Why are you doing this?”

I looked at Kelly and gave her a small nod.

“This is my home now. It is nice and peaceful here and I really don’t want any people from back home spoiling the peace. You could say that I was run out of ‘Dodge’ by my family and I don’t want anything to do with anyone from back east. The whole of the Bronx can disappear into the East River for all I’m concerned.”

Lol didn’t say anything but his eyes flicked between Kelly and myself. Then a smile started to appear on his face.

“You two are an item, aren’t you?”

We both said ‘No’ instantly.

“Pull the other one. I can see the signs,” said Lol.

Then he put up his hand to stop us saying anything.

“I’ll take the deal. I know far too much. They’d get me even if I was alive long enough to get into WITSEC.”


[one hour later]
“Well Lol, there’s the State Line and here are the keys to the Pickup,” I said as the three of us stood at the top of the Interstate ‘On-Ramp’.

“Thanks,” he replied slightly grudgingly.

Then he turned to Kelly.

“Look, I said a lot of bad things about you back there. I realise now that you are being yourself and have made a home here. I get the feeling that this deal is all your idea. Well thank you for that.”

I saw Kelly give him a little smile as he got into the Pickup.

As Lol disappeared westwards I looked at Kelly.

She was giving me a funny look.

“Out with it?” I said.

“Do you fancy me?”

Well, I asked for it. I should have expected it. Kelly never beat about the bush.

“Do you want the political answer or the truth?”

She laughed.

“How about both?”

“Ok. The Politically correct answer is No.”

“and the other one?”

I didn’t answer her but I leaned over and kissed her. Just a little peck on the lips. I hoped it was enough.

“Is that it?”

So, I kissed her again. This time it was a proper kiss.

Kelly came into my office early the next morning.

“I was thinking last night.”

“About Lol?”

“Sort of. I now realise how this place works and how different it is from… from before. What we did with Lol probably broke a dozen laws and…”

“And we should be sent to jail as well?”

Kelly nodded.

“We took a load of illegal guns off the street. Isn’t that a good thing? Isn’t that better for the public good? Lol is a what I call a chancer. The way he stole that car tells me that. It also means that the chances are that he’ll meet a sticky end sometime in the future but to put him away with some nasty people after him would probably hasten his demise. He does not deserve a shank in Prison.”

Kelly said nothing.

“So, Deputy Kelly, did we do the right thing?”

“Yes Sheriff, I think we did.”

Then she added,

“In the long run, I think we did.”

“What is going to happen to those guns, money and especially the car? We can’t very well put them through the evidence system as I’m guessing here that there is no formal record of Lol being here?”

I thought for a long second.

“I’m not sure. I tried to come up with a solution to that problem myself.”

“Well?”

“I don’t know. That is the honest truth. We can’t keep the money. The guns are easy. I’ll take them to the cemetery and get them put into a grave that is about to be used. They’ll be off the streets and out of sight for the foreseeable future. That leaves the car.”

“If this was New York, hot cars have been known to be delivered to a ‘chop shop’. They’ll strip it and dispose of the rest in a matter of days. I’ve not seen anything resembling a ‘chop shop’ here. Rather hard to hide something like that out here.”

I smiled back at her.

“The car is also easy. Barney SWA knows people who know people who will… well get rid of the car. If I slip him a ‘C’ note, he’ll take it off our hands no questions asked. After all the parts for a two-year old BMW M5 are worth quite a bit.”

“Will it come back on us?”

I shook my head.

“No chance. Also, these people are on the Reservation.”

“Eh? I thought that Barney didn’t want anything to do with his people on the ‘Res’?”

“He doesn’t unless it is business.”

“That leaves the money?”

“I was wondering if an anonymous donation to a few local charities might be in order?”

“Kelly smiled back at me.”

“What about that Pickup?”

“Another ‘C’ note and Barney will make it appear in all records that it went through him for crushing.”

“Problem solved then?”

“Not quite,” I said quietly.

“What’s left to wrap up?”

“Not really wrap up. I was wondering when you were going to tell me that you were a Millionairess?”

Kelly grinned back at me.

“I’m not. What Lol said was basically true. The Brownstone sold for more money that I could spend even if I tried so I gave it away. Most of it went to the relatives of the emergency services who died in 9/11. My donation is there as a matter of public record. The rest went to a wildlife preserve on Long Island.”

After a slight pause.

“That good enough for you?”

I grinned.

“More than enough. Thanks for telling me. I was scared that you might be off to sunnier climes with all that money in the bank.”

“Sorry Matt, I kind of like it here so I’m staying,” she replied with a nice smile on her face.

“In that case, do you want to come over for Dinner tonight? Ma will be playing bingo at the Community Center.”

Kelly smiled.

“Why don’t you come to me and…?”

[End of this Episode]

up
543 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Chancer he was

Sammi's picture

and not a very bright one, Matt's fear for Kelly's safety obviously overshadowed his analitical cops mind.

Kelly's family while bigoted and they ran her out of her job and home are part of the Emergency services of NY state, and if they had an issue with Kelly having that inheritance thay would have found a way to stop it.

Kelly's donation to the relatives of the emergency services would have been a cause that I don't even think they would have disagreed with.

and the chancer while clever in some ways, I'd guess he is a joke in others with the nickname LOL.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

LOL was from before 'text speak'

I once worked with a Lawrence Monaghan aka LOL who was indeed a chancer. That was until he met his match with a female version of him. The last I heard, he was now a grandfather. I guess he 'took his chance on her' (to paraphrase an Abba lyric) :)
Samantha

I was really

Sammi's picture

commenting on the changing of times and the Chancer haveing an unfortunate nickname.

While LOL and similar acronyms are now accociated with Cellphones and SMS, LOL is rumoured to have been coined in the 1980's within the BBS chatrooms.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

LOL, and Smiley :-)

along with other text based emojis, were in use in AOL and Compuserve chat rooms long before cellphones learned to text.

I like the series

Interesting plots, well written.

Pentatonic

Bronx

Hey, Bronx is not all that bad :P.

It is firmly attached to the continent, mind.

Now Staten Island ....

County sheriff

I was glad to see the latest county sheriff tale, but before I even clicked on it I realised one of the reasons was that these are very well written in a stand alone fashion. It makes it easy to enjoy them this way and its nice sometimes to not have cliffhangers. Thank you for your work and please keep them coming.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Thanks

Writing a complete episode is a change for me. It poses problems in its own right.
However, I might return to it in the future.
There is one more 'episode' completed and will be posted next weekend. Then I'm taking a break and going on Holiday.
However, there are two more multi-part stories in the bag.
Samantha

Beautiful Warm, Soft

BarbieLee's picture

Each chapter is so complete they can stand alone. One isn't left with the feeling of frustration reading an incomplete story. The ability of Samantha to tell this story in such a soft warm way kind of leaves one with a feeling of the good ol boys saying, "awww shucks" as if it twernt nothing to rescue the pretty girl. The setting, the action, the dialog is blended movie picture perfect. A beautiful love story.
Life is a gift. Treasure it until it is time to return it.
always
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Smiles!

I don't think I can ask for a better comment than that. Thanks Barb

I love this series

Have I ever said I am a sucker for a romance?

Weapons

It’s good Kelly is protected but some of those weapons could have been used in a crime so should be available to be checked for ballistics.

TMI

Too Much Information could garnered from those weapons along with TOO MUCH PAPERWORK and attention from the feds.

Lol was well before AOL

Oh yeah, we used those on Compuserve back in the days when we had no graphics, brrr! No cell phones either, just the black wall hanger with a dial in the kitchen.
Of all short story serials, this is my favorite Samantha.

Just as good as

Monique S's picture

the other "episodes" Samatha. If your holiday carries you to Brittany...

Hugs,
Monique.

Monique S

Sadly not this trip

This one is Ferry, Dover-Calais (06:30 sailing) then A26/A7 down to Dijon for the overnight (350 miles approx) then down to Toulon for the Ferry overnight to Corsica. then on to Sardinia and then back to Toulon and the long slog up the Autoroute, ferry back to Dover and then another 100miles home. 450 miles that day!
Perhaps I'll take a short break towards the end of September and head in your direction?

Samantha

And real justice was served

And real justice was served in a "country sort of way." Win-win for all involved; well except for the Russian crook, but who cares about him anyway?

Wonderful Series

My5InchFMHeels's picture

This was not what I was expecting when I saw the Story Title. I have been pleasantly surprised with the development of the story. I am glad that Matt and Kelly get together so quickly in the series... though it's been a bit longer story-wise.

Still Trying to Figure Out...

...why Lol was taking a car (and the contraband in it) over 2000 miles of highway with a whole nationwide criminal organization looking for it and him, instead of either abandoning it or dropping it over a cliff somewhere, on his way to confront Kelly. Wouldn't seem that he could sell the weapons and explosives to anyone without exposing his location to his pursuers.

Plan A (before Lol stole the car) might have been to extort much of the remaining money from Kelly and return to New York. The second half of that went by the wayside once he stole Lysenko's car. (Unless he thought Lysenko's wife wouldn't or couldn't identify him; I suppose Lol might have been using a phony name with her too. That might let him go home once he ditched the car, but would he take the chance?)

Anyway, Plan B seemed to be to get Kelly's money and set up shop somewhere other than New York, whether or not that was in the U.S. That died when Lol discovered that Kelly was a sheriff's deputy and consequently the local authorities weren't going to be sympathetic to him. It also meant that the initial confrontation with Kelly would be public and she'd immediately tell the sheriff and anyone else present that he wasn't the relative he claimed to be. I don't know whether he knew that she'd actually know who he was, but once she demonstrated that he wasn't family, he no longer had any right to the money even if the rest of his tale had been true.

And then he got arrested and had to give up his wallet with his ID to Matt. At that point he probably couldn't think of any good alternatives, though I think Matt was wrong in saying he no longer was concerned about getting a lawyer. Since he couldn't do anything about that until after the weekend, he wouldn't have acted any differently whether he still wanted one or not. Matt clearly wasn't going to help him out by phoning either a legal defender or the county judge (to set bail) at home over the weekend, though in an area like that one he probably had their cellphone numbers. And if Lol had legal representation in New York that he could have contacted (he was entitled to one phone call), they wouldn't have been able to find local representation any quicker, and they wouldn't be licensed to practice law in Matt's state, even if they dropped everything and got on the next plane.

The irony was that as things turned out he couldn't have done better if he had an underworld lawyer working for him -- he got out, was given some money (not as much as he thought he'd get under Plan A, though since Kelly didn't in fact have the money it might even have been more than he could have gotten from her) and a vehicle that would get him out of the state without any police, feds or border guards looking for him. And I think he knew that the locals would make the BMW and its contents disappear, since it would implicate them if found, so there'd be no back trail there.

Eric

I think it is as simple

Sammi's picture

as Lol is a Chancer

Lol said

Victor texted his wife when we were in his bed to say that he was going to take her out for a surprise lunch. I just about had enough time to get dressed and slip out the side when he came in the front. My wheels were several streets away so I took his car because he’d left the keys in it and hot-footed it towards the Verrazano and I-80. That was almost a week ago."

Lol is a chancer so when he saw keys in the ignition and he went with the quick getaway rather than try to get to his car and may be getting seen (Vicotr being a very dangerous mob fixer), and the plan to extort Kelly was an on the fly deal, and smacks of being made from partial information, knowing where Kelly is and knowing she inherited from her grandmother being the only things he knew for sure.

As I said in an earlier comment, Kelly's family did everything they could to take everything she had away from her, her home, employment and themselves, with this in mind I would have thought that they would have gone after the inheritance too.

However while her Family may be bigots and have a grudge against Kelly, Kelly's family are NY Emergency Services to the core so her donation of the money to the 'Relatives of the Emergency Services' and that being on record would be a reason for them not to go after Kelly for it.

Lol, obviously didn't do the math properly and in his mind
2 (Kelly & Inheritance) + 2 (Kelly's family not after her or it & Kelly still has the money) = 5 (millions he can gain)
Typical attitide of the greedy they always want more and have blinders on and can only see the direction they are going, much like a horse.
2 (Kelly & Inheritance) + 2 (Kelly's family not after her or it & Kelly Gave it away) = 4 (No $$$, for anyone to go after)
I suspect wouldn't cross the mind of someone like Lol.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

To Eric and Sammi

Lol was faced with either dumping the car and hoping that Viktor would not find out that he'd nicked it or as I imagined, he realised that his time in NYC was at an end and he needed to get out of the place pronto. By disabling the GPS and tracker and driving on the back roads he'd gone to the one place where he knew someone that wouldn't blow his head off and get the reward from Viktor.
His cunning plan had backfired when Matt applied some common sense and sent him on his way.
My aim was to show that he was already very protective towards Kelly which was proven at the end.
I guess you both liked it... :)

Samantha

Excellent as usual

Excellent as usual

Well done

Sam

SamanthaAnn

Life is full of surprises

This episode was considered by yours truly to be the weakest of those that I'd penned yet it seemed to resonate with so many readers. To say that I'm surprised is putting it mildly.
Thanks for all the comments so far.
Stay tuned (well until the weekend) for "County Sheriff - Justice is Served".
Samantha

Simple Life

I think many of us have a longing for a simple time when things were calmer and law enforcement was done with a wiser head that understood how to dish out the law with more than a touch of common sense. "Son, you know you just can't take things because you want them. So lets take that bike back to the Johnsons and you apologize. Then for the next 10 weeks you come down and work for three hours picking up trash along Main Street. The good thing is you'll get paid a little each week. If you work well by the end of those 10 weeks and save your money you'll have enough to buy a good bike of your own. I've got bikes locked up in back that might be just what you want and I'll make you a good deal."

Instead we've got "Boy, you admitted you stole that pack of gum so I have no choice but to arrest you and take you in. Monday the judge will hear your case and probably you'll get 1 to 3 months in juvie."


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Reading the readers

Podracer's picture

must be hard. Reading your story, however, isn't. Perhaps we like this one because we have become familiar with the scene and characters. Whatever the reason, it works.
Yeah, Lol short for Lawrence, met one myself.

"Reach for the sun."

Rock and hard place

Jamie Lee's picture

Lol found himself between a rock and a hard place. He took a loaded car which could have got him life in prison with all they found; the C4 alone would have ensured he received a long sentence. They may have charged him as a terrorist because of the amount.

He and Kelly had a tit for tat in order to keep hidden. He alerts Kelly's family, she informs the Russian mob. It's a win-win for the two, until Lol takes one too many chances.

Matt might as well face it, he's in love with Kelly and she him. Tom laid it out for him, everybody can see they are smitten with each other.

Others have feelings too.