Sam and Nathan

Printer-friendly version

Just a really short ftm story to get it out of my head. Could probably be a lot better with some editing but I have other projects at the moment.

Sam arrived dejected, back at the flat she shared with her roommate Savannah. She immediately entered the kitchen where Savannah was cooking. "It's not fair," she said.
"It's good to see you too." Her roommate responded. Sam went to dump her backpack on the table but there was no room. She made to move some crystals decorating the table to clear a space, but an angry glance from Savannah stopped her. "You'll ruin the energy flow, Sam, you know this. Put your bag on the floor and then tell me why you're upset." Savannah was really into magic and claimed to be a witch - Sam didn't really buy into it but humoured her because other than the gems and weird plants everywhere, Savannah was by far the best roommate she'd ever had. So Sam shrugged off her bag, dropped it on the floor and took a seat, careful not to disrupt the energy flow.
"So you know I was hanging out with Nathan today, for our group project?" Said Sam.
"Ahh, Prince Charming, did he not like your ideas?"
"No no, he loved them, we're actually making great progress." Sam and Nathan were classmates at university, studying English. They had never really spoken before being paired up for an assignment, but Sam had always admired him from afar, his messy hair and lopsided grin were too cute, and she found herself fantasising about him, even if he did turn out to be a bit of a nerd. "It's just I've been trying to make it a bit more, y'know, obvious, and he just doesn't get it. I was flirting like mad and he just asked if I wanted to stick around and play videogames."
"I was never well versed in affairs of the heart," said Savannah, "but it sounds like he might just not be into you." Sam looked incredulous.
"Not into me? Any boy would be lucky to have me!" She wasn't wrong, other than the slightly overblown ego, Sam was by all means a great partner, and she was pretty good looking too, currently dressed very casually in a simple t shirt and skirt that combined with her dark hair in a fashionable bob to look both laid back and elegant at the same time.
"Some people just have different tastes." Said Savannah.
"Well they shouldn't," Sam said, flippantly, "I just wish he was as into me as I'm into him."
"Be careful with wishes, Sam." Savannah warned.

That night, Sam had a very vivid dream. It started as a fantasy involving Nathan, and again Sam wished that he was into her in reality. Then everything dissolved into a deep blue colour, anf Sam heard a low rumbling voice. "I can make it so, but I cannot change those who do not consent. Do you still wish for change?" Sam wasn't sure what the voice meant, so she just agreed, and everything was silent. She didn't dream again until she woke up.

Sam rolled over in bed, feeling groggy. 'I shouldn't have stayed up raiding so late' she thought. 'Wait - huh?' She grabbed her phone off the side table and checked the time. It was almost 1pm, she had way overslept and didn't have much time to get ready to meet Nathan again to work more on their project. There was one of Savannah's crystals sitting by her phone - she would need to have a very stern conversation about boundaries later, but first she needed to get ready. She carefully laid out a nice outfit and hopped in the shower. Sam enjoyed the warm water running over her body. She grabbed a can of shaving foam and began to lather up her leg. She squirted another dollop of shaving foam into her hand and just stared at it - why was she trying to shave in the shower? She might cut her face without a mirror. She rinsed the foam away and hopped out. Sam quickly dried herself off and went to get dressed. She picked out a clean pair of boxer shorts, and grabbed yesterday's jeans from a crumpled pile on the floor. She completed her outfit with a plain black t shirt, pulled straight over her bare chest.

Sam turned to the floor length mirror and began to brush her hair. As she brushed, she heard a low humming sound, and felt a vibration on her scalp. A chunk of her dark hair fell to the floor, leaving short fuzz behind. She continued to brush and watch her bob turn into a short buzzcut. Sam laid the brush down and rubbed her fuzzy head - she was glad to have such a low maintenance hairstyle. As she looked into the mirror, Sam found it harder and harder to focus, her vision was blurring so she reached for her glasses. Glasses? Since when did she wear glasses? Since she was eight, and all the other boys made fun of Sam. The other boys. No, the boys. Sam wasn't a boy... Was he?

Sam put a hoodie on over his World of Warcraft shirt, grabbed his backpack and headed out to meet Nathan to get to work on their project, and then play videogames and make out. He couldn't believe how lucky he was to get paired up with his boyfriend. Savannah watched as he left, and smiled.

up
67 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice Story

Daphne Xu's picture

Nice story with a bit of a twist, in Nathan's sexual orientation.

It occurs to me that transforming her might be necessary for her to catch Nathan, but it shouldn't be sufficient. I hope that the witch didn't manipulate Nathan's heart.

-- Daphne Xu