A Thief’s Problem –chp8

Printer-friendly version

A Thief’s Problem.

142px-US_Marshal_Badge.png

Sister Magdalena, a.k.a. Angelic DeMarco, finds evidence of more than just illegal art trade while recovering a stolen painting in the home of a known criminal. Her investigation leds to the US and a very problematic situation with the US Department of Justice.

by Snowfall and Jessie Wolf.

Dedicated to the men and women of the US Marshal Service.

Edited by my husband Paul, and AJC Snowfall.

~o~O~o~


This is a work of fiction an any persons in this work are purely fictional.


Chapter 8
Inside of the ALOC, Interstate 75, Mid Florida

Kristine sat next to her sister working on her laptop as they drove the up to Eglin Air Force Base. Like everyone else in the four-truck convoy they had been switching out every few hours in the driver’s seat. While one drove, the other was working on gathering Intel on Sylvia Price’s Long Island home in Cutchogue Station. At one of the team’s rest stops Kasey spotted the first of their obstacles. Price’s home sat in a bend of the road.

Price’s home quite literally had a perfect natural defensive setup. The home was surrounded on all four sizes by heavy woods with one side backing up to the Long Island Sound. On two of the other sides were multi-million-dollar homes. The third side fronted by an open field. The driveway was the next problem she spotted. It was more than a quarter mile long and 50-feet wide with a high security wrought iron gate crossing it. The beach area was nightmare approach. This part of the beach was more than 250-ft wide and at least a half mile from the house.

Kasey put all this into a report for Stronghold and forwarded it to Command. When she turned their investigation over to Kristine, Kasey knew that they would need a major plan for attacking the property. Kristine was even now working on how to get around these five very distinctive obstacles even now.

“Kasey, I got a crazy idea that I want to run by you. Do you promise not to laugh at me when you hear it?” Kristine asked her.

“Kristine, I will never laugh at any idea you get. Well not always. There have been a few of your ideas that are truly too far off the wall to be taken seriously. Especially if it is a way for us to get inside that fortress of Price’s.” Kasey answered as she drove.

“Price is supposed to be this big-time connoisseur and philanthropist of the performing arts, right? What if we got Nonnina to pose as a concerned investor for some performing arts school? Maybe some small-time ballet company in need of financial support?” As Kristine was outlining her thoughts Kasey could already see where sister was going.

“Double check all of Nonnina’s investments. There may be a school that we can use for that kind of a cover.” Kasey ordered her sister. Then as if an afterthought put in one more search parameter. “While you’re looking; one of those really fancy boarding schools might fit our needs. See if there's one in the area. If there is, check the school’s citations. Find what they’re teaching at the school itself.”

“Gotcha, sis. What exactly am I looking for?” Kristine asked as she began digging through the Net for what Kasey asked.

“If there is a preforming arts school nearby, we may be able to use that to our advantage. Before you ask it's simple. Price will more than likely heard of the school and will be more than willing to invite Nonnina in for a sit down. If Nonnina can get us inside, without us having to go in after night, all the better. We can get a full recon done and her security will be none the wiser.” Kasey smirked as she thought about once again using their appearance to get the job done.

Kristine giggled as she figured out what Kasey was getting at. “Just like what we did in Japan after our mission there. Only this time when we go in, we’ll be letting our appearance work for us to bely any suspicions. We’ll be laying the groundwork for our assault. That’s sneaky as shit sis.”

“I do have my moments, Kris. Have you found anything we can use yet?” Kasey knew that Kristine had been working while they talked.

“I might have what we need. It’s not one of Nonnina’s though. It is a school for the preforming arts, but it belongs to a holding company. It's called Iron Butterfly LLC. I wonder who they are?” Kristine looked up from her laptop, when Kasey giggled. “Did I say something funny, Kasey?”

“Kristine there are times you really need to pull your head out of the Network. What do you want to bet that company belongs to Prima Lyssa? Or that if you go digging into the background for the company, you’ll end up going around in circles chasing your tail?” Kasey smirked.

“What should I do? Contact Stronghold?” Kristine asked in bewilderment.

“Open the connection to Stronghold and I’ll bet Command is already waiting for us.” Kasey ordered.

Sure, enough as soon as Kristine opened the connection Kimberly answered the teens. Kimberly got straight to the point. “We were wondering when you girls would come knocking. Care to explain why you two are digging around one of Lyssa’s shell companies?”

“We were looking into a performing arts school that is owned by that shell company Command. We have an idea for getting inside to run recon, but we need more information on the school.” Kristine explained.

“What is the name of the school Gemini?” Lyssa asked.

“Terpsichore school for the preforming arts. Wholly owned by Iron Butterfly LLC.” Kristine answered quickly. “Why didn’t you tell us you owned a preforming arts school Prima?”

“You didn't ask.” Lyssa replied. “It's one of many financial operations used to secure my legend.”

“Um… Prima Lyssa according to what we found that shell company is the sole owner for that school. We have been able to figure out that the school is solely a school for dancers. They teach everything; ballet, jazz, tap and ballroom.” Kristine point out for their mentor.

“I’m not mad at you girls. I'm guessing you want to use it.” Lyssa sighed. “Seeing as how I did something similar; I'll authorize it.”

“We need more information on the school itself Sergeant Major. As you guessed, I have an idea for getting us inside for recon, but we need more Intel on the school to pull it off.” Kristine went on to explain her idea. When she finished, the command staff were laughing their asses off. Once again, the teenagers had gone outside the box with their thinking. “Did I say something Funny Sergeant Major?”

“No Kristine you haven’t. It’s just that you two girls keeping thinking outside the box that we as your teachers are amused by it. Your plan is simple. Your chances of it working are high for success. I am impressed by your on-the-fly planning. What do you need for us on this end to complete the mission?” Lyssa really was amused with the way the girls were thinking and planning.

“Other than more solid intel on that school, just our old school uniforms. Miss Anna should be able to find them in our closet. We can swing everything else from what we have onboard the ALOC.” Kasey answered quickly.

“No short cuts here Gemini. Is there any specialized equipment that you need?” Lyssa said flatly. “This is no time for half-assing your equipment.”

“Understood, Sergeant Major. We’re not. Everything we need for the rest of this assignment is onboard the ALOC or the Tactical trucks. All we need are our old school uniforms. The Marshal and the Deputies have the needed undercover clothing for what we need. Our only problem is the Intel on that school. There is nothing on the Net other than a Facebook page.” Kristine explain what their problem was.

“Gemini, the school is a legitimate school. You won’t have any problems swinging the needed background for a cursory examination. Have you informed the Marshal of your plan yet?” Krystle asked from her station.

“Not yet, ma’am. We wanted to gather as much Intel as possible before broaching the subject first. We hit a wall when we started looking into that school. We also want to run the idea by you first to see if it was even possible.” Kristine answered honestly.

The three members of the OICA command staff chuckled hearing this. It was time Lyssa that answered for them. “We’ll get you the needed intel by the time you’re ready to implement your plan. Anything else?”

“Not at this time Stronghold. Anything you need for us to pass onto the Marshal?” Kasey asked them.

“Negative Gemini. Good hunting. Stronghold out.” With that the connection was cut. As the teenagers drove through the heart of Florida, they took in the surrounding natural beauty of one of the longest states in the Union.

Eglin Air Force Base, Florida.

Maria looked out at the C-17 as it pulled to a stop in front of the cargo hanger. It had taken her and the others the last 5 hours to finally convince Annette to head back to the Ram’s Rock. If it hadn’t been for Maria finally putting her foot down Annette would still be trying to stay on mission. Angelic was still having a small problem with understanding how her aunt and cousins could be so casual about hunting down a high-powered criminal like Sylvia Price or Charles Andrews.

Maria was the first to greet Pete as he stepped down the loading ramp. “Thank you for coming to pick us up Peter. Sorry for the delay. Traffic was heavier than expected. How was the flight over?”

“Good to see you too. As for the flight it wasn’t bad. Don’t worry about the delay. This is one time that we’re not holding up any civilian traffic. The only problem we face now is with the flight from here to New York. It may get a little bumpy, if we don’t get a move on. There’s a heavy front moving in from the Northwest. After we land, we’ll have around six to eight hours before the front moves in over New York.” Peter looked over to where the team’s trucks were waiting. “We figure about two hours of that will be taken up with the loading and unloading of your trucks.”

“I believe that we can get that time down Peter. We should be off-loaded and on our way in less than an hour.” Maria chuckled.

“What about making a run for Annette’s craving fixings? Have you figured that in? Lyssa basically gave us orders to not return without covering that problem. Is that going to be enough time?” Peter asked Maria bluntly. He wasn’t the only one worried about having a highly trained old-world assassin on the island going through carving withdrawals while pregnant.

Maria just smiled and pointed to where Bobby and Hunter were loading several large crates into the back of the Gray Ghost. “We stopped at a local Wally world super store before coming here. Annette should have four months’ worth of fixings for her current craving. We won’t need the Gray Ghost for the rest of the mission. Just have Annette drive it up to the house and unloaded it there. She’ll know where to put everything. Any word on Anna?”

“Miss Anna is already in Grand Cayman with Eddie still acting as her bodyguard. I was told to inform you that the contract for Abrams is underway. The Irish Rose has given her word that it will be done by COB, Friday. Miss Anna also said something about the trades will be handled through the shell companies for all members of the family. Whatever that means.” Peter groused as he didn’t know exactly what was going on.

Maria just smiled. “Good. I was a little worried about her being there on her own. Anna maybe be able to still teach us all a thing or two about handling a contract, but she is losing the war against time.”

“Madam Maria, I have to ask. Just how did you and Miss Anna ever meet? I mean from what I have gathered. People in your old profession don’t normally socialize. Isn’t it more or less a dog eat dog world?” Peter asked kindly.

“The world of the Hired Assassin is not always one of ducking and dodging the law, Peter. The truth is far from it. A truly successful assassin hides in plain sight. Sometimes going so far as to even court the eye of the press. It helps when one is looking for a trouble-free alibi. I know for a fact that Anna has had dinner with seven heads of state, twelve members of parliament, and close to twenty members of our legislative branch. That doesn’t take in to account the number of actors, sports stars, and other celebrities. Her ‘wall of fame’ rivals my own.” Maria smirked then turned slightly serious. “Did you bring the girls’ school uniforms as asked?”

“Yes Marshal. They’re packed in this suitcase.” Carl answered then pulled it from a rack.

“Excellent. Those shall be our pass through the very gates of our enemy.” Maria replied with a faint smile as she took the case and went back to the ALOC.

Lonestar came from the cockpit. “How long?”

“I'll find out, Sir.” Carl replied and went down the ramp.

Pete looked over to Lonestar. “Without Annette, how're they going to work this?”

“More than likely have Sam and the Nun acting as teachers, and Gemini acting as students. Maria is going to let her philanthropical actions do all the work for her.”

“Put that way, I can see how it would go down. Maria and the ladies work on the inside. While the guys take care of the goons outside.” Pete couldn’t believe how simple the plan could be. “That's sneaky.”

“Probably more to the plan, Pete, but that's a good synopsis of it. We just don’t know all of it. For now.” Lonestar pointed out to Pete. “Our job is to get them to New York.”

“Right. Get ‘em loaded and ready to fly. Oh, yeah. We’ll be taking the Gray Ghost home with us. It seems that the Marshal is cutting down on the number of vehicles for this op.” Pete did a fast headcount and realized what Maria was up to. “With Annette out of action they won’t need all their trucks. Maria can help drive the ALOC. While Sam and the good Sister drive Blue Big. That'll cutdown on their operational resources but make things more manageable for the whole team. It’ll still give them two of the full tactical trucks and the ALOC for C-n-C. Still gives them some pretty damned good odds. Even being down one member of the regular team. With that niece of the Madam’s filling in they got one hell of a team.” Pete chuckled. “My only question is who is going to take down that ass-hate in Rome?”

“From what Kimberly is thinking; that'll fall to the good Sister.” Lonestar commented behind his helmet. “Consensus is; she may have crossed a line that there's no coming back from.”

As the last of the Black Badge vehicles rolled up the loading ramps Pete and Carl moved to start securing them. Bobby and Hunter were already locking down Black Beauty and Big Blue. Pete started with the Gray Ghost at the rear, while Carl moved to start locking down the ALOC only to be stopped by Kasey and Kristine. He was stop by a smiling Kristine.

“We got this Carl. Go ahead and raise the ramps. The Marshal wants us airborne as soon as possible.” Kristine told the Californian.

Carl smirked. “Let's see it.”

Kasey looked over to Lonestar, the mysterious man behind the helmet that she had come to know as her uncle. “Um… I know that it is not my place, but shouldn’t you be doing a walk around?”

Lonestar patted her back. The two teenagers had come to know all about his obsessive nature for double checking his aircraft. With a wave and unseen smile Lonestar stepped outside to double check his aircraft. His also wanted to keep an eye on the refueling crew and their safety measures. He would still double check the cargo when he reboarded. He had made one mistake in his life and it cost him dearly. He refused to leave anything to chance again, not if he could help it.

Once the C-17 was refueled and Lonestar had double checked the cargo, he signaled for Carl to raise the ramp and close the cargo door. Fifteen minutes later the massive aircraft was taxiing out to the runway. After a ten-minute wait on the hammerhead the big plane was taking off headed for New York. Sylvia Price had a date with Death and the crew of the C-17 didn’t want to hold up that date any longer than possible.

The Hampton’s home of Sylvia Price, New York.

Sylvia price walked the ground floor of her stylish twelve-bedroom home, the flight from Heathrow had taken more out of her than she expected. “I think that I’m getting a little too old for all this world travel. The jetlag used to not affect me this way. At least the show went off no problems.”

As she entered her office her longtime personal secretary stood up from her desk. “Welcome back Mrs. Price. How was your flight home, ma’am?”

“Long and trying Carrie. I really must look into purchasing a private jet.” Looking over at the folders in Carrie’s hands. “Are those the Quarterly’s?”

“I just finished compiling the Quarterly reports for your examination, ma’am. I’ll sum them up for you. In the first and second Quarters the profit margins were as expected. There was a slight rise during the third quarter, with a full fifty percent rise during the fourth quarter. There is one matter that needs your immediate attention.” Carrie pointed out what was in the folders.

“What’s the problem, Carrie?” Sylvia asked she came to a stop just before her own desk. “Did something happen with Abrams?”

“Not Abrams, ma’am. According to the reports coming out of Miami. It seems that Vickers might have double-crossed some of our 'friends from down South'. They may have sent in a full cleaner team.” Carrie answered. “At last report; the Miami Police still haven’t found his body.”

“Hmm… that’s not good. Have you sent word to Abrams about our missing partner, dear?” Sylvia scratched her chin in thought. Trying to figure out how to turn this to her advantage.

“I haven’t ma’am, but that doesn’t mean he hasn’t heard through other means.” Carrie corrected her boss. At Sylvia’s questioning looked Carrie explained. “The International News Networks ma’am. After all, he was an internationally known arms dealer and smuggler. Something like his death would make the net.”

“True; it would have an impact. Wonder how long it would take to reach the European Networks? Any idea on the time frame?” Sylvia asked Carrie.

“Sadly, the answer is no Mrs. Price.” Carrie really did wish she had the answer. “It will all depend on how fast the local networks can get their sources to work on the case. The guards currently have a pool on which network anchor breaks the story first.”

“Why am I not surprised? Tell me Carrie, where did you place my usual bet?” Sylvia chuckled at her secretary’s nervousness.

“The time ma’am. Twelve hours for the discovery of the body. Another two hours following that for the National News Networks and another hour after that for the International News Networks.” Carrie said with a smile.

“Very good. Thank you for taking care of the wager for me. I know that my bodyguards tend to sit you on edge. Just remember that their loyalty is unquestionable.” Sylvia sighed. “They are hard men, Carrie. They live hard lives. They take their responsibilities very seriously.”

“Oh, I know that ma’am. It’s just that Master Sergeant Stone is so harsh at times. Like this afternoon.” Carrie cringed as she remembered her conversation from earlier in the day.

“What happened Carrie?” Sylvia practically demanded.

“We received a phone call from a Madam Maria DeMarco. She requested a formal visit with you tomorrow evening. Master Sergeant Stone practically demanded that we run a background check on the Lady.” Carrie actually blushed clear down to her breasts over her embarrassment at the man’s demand.

“WAIT! Did you say that 'The Dove' has asked to visit my home? Are you sure? Maria DeMarco is coming here?” Sylvia asked in stunned amazement. The very idea that the one of the few living Primas of the Bolshoi would want to visit her was almost too much for Sylvia to grasp. “I hope that you agreed to her visit Carrie. As for Master Sergeant Stone, leave him to me.”

Carrie just stood there nodding her head yes for each one of her employer’s questions and orders. There was nothing else she could say or do at that point. Besides, Carrie knew of her employer’s need to be accepted among the rich and powerful members of high society. The fact was her employer’s need for acceptance among high society was more of a compulsion. Almost a borderline psychosis. One that Carrie just knew would drive her boss to desperate ends.

“Of course, ma’am. Should I contact Madam DeMarco for you?” Carrie asked.

“Yes please, Carrie. When you do forward the call to my private office. After that, you can head home for the day.” Sylvia ordered.

Carrie quickly returned to her desk to carry out her orders while Sylvia entered her private office. A few minutes later, Carrie contacted her through the intercom. “Ma’am, I was unable to contact Madam DeMarco directly. I was able to reach her voicemail though and left a message for her to contact you at her earliest convenience.”

“I see.” Sylvia sighed. “Very well, no help for it. You may go on home Carrie. I’ll see you in the morning. Oh, by the way. Did Madam DeMarco say why was trying to contact me?”

“Yes, ma’am. She was wanting to talk with you about a local Performing Arts School in the area. The Terpsichore school for the preforming arts. They have had some success with the less fortunate children for the inner city.” There was a pause before Carrie continued reading the report she had prepared for Sylvia on the school. “Ma’am, if I may speak freely?”

“What troubles you about the school Carrie? So far it sounds like a truly respectable establishment.” Sylvia always knew that Carrie held her best interests at the forefront of her responsibilities.

“Well ma’am, part of the school’s mission statement revolves around them taking in a certain number of what they call 'At-Risk' students. Put bluntly; many are juvenile delinquents. I know that Madam DeMarco is a well-respected member of the performing arts community. I just feel that your involvement in this matter would be detrimental to your current standing within the community.” Sylvia thought about what Carrie had just told her and cringed.

“No. Actually, I believe that this would be to my advantage. I need to take that meeting with Madam DeMarco.” Reverting back to her old military officer training Sylvia made her decision.

Sylvia gritted her teeth at the thought of helping a bunch of street scum and gutter trash. Yet she knew that this would play well with those she sought to impress. Those rich-assed old money bitches were always flaunting how they helped this poor unfortunate soul or that charity in front of her. Such was far from compassion. It was all for public image.

“Yes ma’am. I’ll try to contact her as soon as I come into the office tomorrow. What time do you need me ma’am?”

Sylvia thought about Carrie’s question. “No earlier than seven, Carrie. Enjoy your evening with Chris. Or is it Samuel these days?”

The giggle that came over the speaker got Sylvia’s attention. “Neither ma’am. It’s Rachel from the Human Resources department.”

Sylvia Price prided herself on knowing her staff. For her to not realize that her private secretary was bi-sexual struck at that pride deeply. But Sylvia recovered quickly. “Why Carrie I didn’t know you had it in you. When did you ask the lovely Rachel out?”

“Two weeks before you left for your last trip ma’am. We have tickets to that new Broadway show, Fire in the Night for this weekend. Rachel has made reservations at one of the downtown hotels for us.”

“I see. Well enjoy your evening Carrie. Goodnight.” Sylvia disconnected the intercom and turned her attention to the quarterly reports.

She knew that Carrie would already be getting ready to leave the estate for the night. As it was, the day must have been just as long for her. After spending the next 3 hours catching up on her business Sylvia finally shutoff her desk lamp and headed for a hot shower and bed. As she showered away the day, Sylvia thought about her unbelievable good luck. To have a chance to meet with one of the few living Bolshoi Primas was just too much to pass up on.

Biggs Reserve Air Force Base, New York 1630 local time

The six-man fulltime Security Team for the base watched as the unscheduled C-17 rolled to a stop in front of the main hanger. Chief Master Sergeant Dale Connors the NCOIC for the team was just short of retirement and had seen a few of the ‘Ghost Ships’. That’s what the Air Force Enlisted called these unmarked and ultra-top-secret birds. During his time as an active duty Airman he was stationed at Nellis Air Force Base, in Nevada. He seen some of the highest cutting-edge tech to ever roll down the runway. Everything from U-2 spy planes to the first ever F-117 Stealth Fighter.

The same could be said for the men of his current Security Team. When he received the call to round up a select number of Security Officers for an off the books op at his base, he knew who to pick. All five of the men were deadly as hell and fast on the stick. Former PJ’s, every one of them, before reclassifying as SO’s. They had also all spent time in Dreamland. According to the CIA, the correct names for the facility are Homey Airport and Groom Lake. To the outside world it was known as Area 51.

After what all these six men had seen during their time there, something like this operation was the norm. They stood back until the C-17 shutdown its engines. When that happened the five-men swarmed around the big plane like a well-oiled machine. Each man taking up a point of a star. One fifty feet from the nose. One under each wing tip and two just off the side of the tail clear of the loading ramp. CMS Connors stood about twenty-five feet from the ramp. A fuel truck parked just forward of the wing and began refueling. He was slightly surprised at seeing the ass-end of an F-150 pickup inside.

He was even more surprised as the truck was swarmed by women unlocking it from its travel cradle. Once free, the dark blue pickup backed off the plane. While this was happening the two women moved forward into the belly of the plane. They began working on the next truck in line. A black F-350. They worked with the same proficiency and bearing as they had the first truck. Once again, the truck started its engine and the women moved forward into the plane as it backed out of the cargo hold.

As the black F-350 was coming down the ramp a tall well-muscled man ran pass it into the plane. The next truck to be off-loaded from the plane was a massive two-tone F-550 with a custom camper shell. The eyes of CMS Connors spotted the disguised high-gain side-band antenna, satellite Network dish and multi-function signal gathering antenna for what they were. To a civilian this mini-RV would appear to be exactly that, a mini-RV. He knew for a fact that this was the ALOC for an undercover tactical strike team.

He only had one question that he couldn’t figure out. Why was the team leaving one of the four trucks aboard the plane? He watched as the strike team disembarked the C-17. It had to be the strike team. The fact that the ‘team’ was made up of two men, four adult women and what appeared to be two teenage girls didn’t add up. Especially when it looked-liked the old lady appeared to be the one in charge. He watched as the old woman gave one of the two brunettes a hug, which was followed by the rest of the team doing the same just before they exited the plane.

As the ramp was raised the members of the team split-up to man the individual trucks. He watched as one man and one woman went to the two normal appearing pickups. While the old lady and two teenagers headed for the ALOC. I watched as the three trucks rolled out in a military style convoy. The F-150 led the way with the F-550 bring up the rear or ‘tail-end Charlie’. The fuel truck disconnected and stored the hose then drove away. Even as the trucks were disappearing into the evening, the C-17 was starting its engines.

Connors whistled then signaled for his team to pull back out of the way. The second his team cleared the aircraft, the C-17 began to turn for the hammerhead. By the time the three trucks cleared the gate the C-17 was lifting off taking flight once more. The whole operation had taken a total of thirty minutes. Now the area was silent again.

“You know something Master Chief. I’ve seen a lot of crazy shit during my time in the Air Force. Especially during my time at Nellis. But this was the first time I ever saw an honest to fucking God ‘Ghost Bird’.”

Chief Master Sergeant Connors looked over at the Tech-Sergeant that was his number one man on the detail. He knew exactly what the man was talking about.

“Don’t feel like the Lone Stranger here Stevens. This is my first time seeing one of those birds my damned self. You want to know something really fucked?” Connors asked Stevens bluntly, to which the man nodded his head yes. “That team that off-loaded. That was definitely a black ops strike team straight from hell. One that can operate inside CONUS.”

Stevens turned to his NCOIC in shock. “You have got to be shitting me Chief? No way in hell. That was no fucking strike team. They’re not allowed to operate inside of CONUS. Posse Commitatis. Everybody knows that shit.”

“Stevens use that fucking head of yours for more than a place for your fucking headgear.” Connors snapped. “There is a special strike team that has always operated inside of CONUS. One so black and off the books it’s scary. And sometimes, just sometimes, outside of CONUS. They go after the really fucked up cases. You know the ones that I’m talking about. Every fucking cop has heard of them, Stevens. The ones with those Black Badges.”

“Come on Chief. That is nothing more than an urban myth. Something every training officer tells the cherries to keep them in line.” Stevens countered with a half-smile that barely reached his eyes.

“Stevens you really need to stop and take a hard look at those old legends. And when you’ve spent enough time in the ranks as I have. You’ll learn that there is more than a little grain of truth to those old legends.” Connors growled out at his Sergeant. “There are far too many stories surrounding those people for them to just be simple tall-tales or urban myths.”

“Come on Chief. Do you really expect me to accept that those seven people were some type of Spec Ops strike team? I mean come on Chief two of those women couldn’t have been older than my kid sisters.” Steven pointed out bluntly.

“That may be true Stevens, but I’ve heard of crazier shit. Just spread the word to the rest of the team. No one says one fucking word about what went down here this evening. When I say nothing, I mean not even to Rosie Palm and her five sisters. Understood?” The glare that Connors gave Stevens said more than words ever could.

The cab of Big Blue Main Gate Road to Biggs RAFB

Angelic DeMarco had marveled at the way her aunt and her family unloaded the family’s trucks. “I take it that you and your family practice unloading and loading of your team trucks cousins?”

Samantha never took her eyes off the road as she smirked. “It's just one of the many exercises that we go through regularly. We have to be down and off in under thirty-minutes Angelic. Mainly because most of the airstrips that we use belong to military bases. We don’t like drawing too much attention to ourselves. It pays to be able to clear out fast.”

“But aren’t you allowed to use these military bases?” Angelic was confused.

“While we’re authorized to use military bases, like the one we just left. We try to keep as low a profile as possible. That is the number one reason we don’t stick around for long if we can avoid it. We have to operate in the shadows of the world.” Sam sighed before taking a quick look over at Angelic. “Angelic you have to remember that for all practical proposes to the rest of the world we don’t exist. It keeps us safe. Allows us to do our jobs. And above all else, allows us to bring justice to those who believe they are untouchable and above the Law.”

“We are but Shadows passing quietly in the night. Bringing justice to those who believe themselves above the law.” Angelic nodded in a knowing way. “You and your family truly practice the Way of the Wraiths of the Moonless Night.”

“Yes cousin. We do. In more ways than one.” Samantha told her.

“Sam, do you think this plan of your daughters’ will work?” Angelic asked.

“I have no doubt that it will work. I know that it sounds outside of the box Angelic. But trust me on this. Whenever those two daughters of mine and Annette get to thinking about how to solve a problem. They never seem to see the outer edge of the box. They just blow right pass the lines not thinking that what they’re doing, or planning shouldn’t work. We’ve been forced to just go with the flow as their parents at times. They learned this from one of their other teachers.” Samantha chuckled over the last part of her explanation. On more than one occasion Gemini had stumped not only her but all their parents.

This was just one more occasion when her teenage daughters went outside the box. It always amazed her how the teenage girls could out think most of the adults on Rams Rock Island. Even before they left the island for their vacation almost a year ago the girls were already outpacing their training. They had pushed the adults on the island to their limits to just stay ahead of them in their training. Though it seemed that Lyssa encouraged them to ignore what would be considered normal. In fact, the more outlandish something seemed, the more she liked it.

“Trust me Angelic. Those two girls are far more than they appear. Their young minds understand and can operate with multi-tier concepts that we as their parents can barely comprehend.” Samantha let the wonder over what Kasey and Kristine could do fill her voice. “They truly are our Twin Goddesses and took a mantra to heart.”

“I saw what they were doing with their laptops this morning, cousin. Is that why you call them Gemini? Because of what they can do with computers?” Angelic was doing her best to understand her place on the team.

Samantha just chuckled at hearing Angelic’s question. “That’s how it started out Angelic. The problems came about when they want to be trained in other interests. My daughters could give our ‘friends’ in the Iscariot Division unholy fits if they felt like. If your so-called superiors were to piss them off.” Samantha’s chuckle almost reached full blown giggle now. “They could turn the Vatican’s Mainframe, RUBUS, into a smoking slag pile of melted plastic and metal. And they would do it with a twinkle in their eyes and smile on their lips. All while humming the theme song to ‘Mr. Rogers’.”

A sudden chain of thought ran through Angelic’s mind. ‘My God! What all am I dealing with here? These are worse than the Sisters back in my old order or even the Iscariots. I wonder if I could have a place here.’

“If you’re wondering Angelic. The answer is yes. If it came to it. If you do need to disappear, we can make that happen. And, no. I’m not a psychic. Mom kind of pointed out the possibility that you may have to disappear once this mission was over.” Samantha sighed as she watched the traffic. “Look Angelic. None of us like the fact that we’re working on so little Intel. Especially because of the fact that this job was dropped in our laps by your fucking boss.”

“I went to my Confessor, Father Lawrence, first cousin. He was the one to take this case before Bishop Karl Ferdinand. Head of the Iscariot Division. If I had known that Father Lawrence was going to take this case to the Iscariot Division’s Archbishop. I would have kept my damned mouth shut and requested a vacation to bring this case to you here in the US. Most likely some place with a beach then just spent the next week working on my tan.” Angelic snarked as she turned to look out the window at the countryside. “Is all of New York state like this Sam?”

Sam chuckled at her cousin’s question. Like a good number of Europeans Angelic had never really traveled inside the United States. They had only heard or read about the US through books and TV. “Yes, and no, Angelic. There is still a lot of unspoiled countryside in the States. Like what you’re seeing now. Then there are whole sections where you can go from one city to the next and never realize that you have crossed city limits. Why do you ask? Are you thinking about ‘retiring’ from the life?”

“Not so much as retiring Sam. Just taking a break for a while. This case has already shown me a side of myself that I find disquieting.” Angelic sighed. “Until now, I never thought I could do something to another human like I did to that man Vickers. I always believed that I was above such violence.”

This time when Samantha sighed it was with more than a little regret for her cousin. “Angelic, take it from me. Nobody truly knows what they’re capable of until they are pushed. All of us here on this team and all of those back on the island understand this fact of life. We’ve all crossed that line at one time or another in our lives. Though, some were pushed, and others dove across.”

“When did you first cross the line Samantha?” Angelic asked as she looked out at the slowly fading evening light.

“When they murdered my family Angelic. I killed the two men that killed my mother, father and sisters that night. When that Judas Priest ordered me out of Saint Jadwiga and prove myself by killing all those involved with my family’s deaths; I did just that. I crossed into the darkest part of my soul. I never once thought about what it would do to me. I had only one goal. To bathe in the blood of my family’s killers.” Sam’s voice took on a harshness that held the cold of the far north, and the heat of the world’s greats deserts. Sam’s mind had returned to the darkest time in her life.

“I killed. I killed in cold blood. I used every method I knew. I slit throats. I sniped from rooftops. I shot them in the head from behind. I snapped necks with my bare hands. I planted bombs in cars. I set fires to whole homes with families inside. I showed my enemies no mercy. I was ordered to destroy the Great Lakes Mob by an outsider Angelic. A member of the Iscariot Division. I did as he ordered trying to gain the sanctuary of the Holy Cee. When I was done, he laughed as he thanked me for removing a problem for the Iscariot Division then still denied me sanctuary. I slit the man’s throat from ear to ear for daring to double-cross a Capizeo. I killed more than fifty men and women by the time I was done. And I felt nothing for what I did.” As Sam told her tale of revenge Angelic felt her blood turn cold. Never before had she ever heard of one person bringing so much bloody death and destruction. “I was only a teenager when I crossed the line.”

“What brought you back Samantha?” Angelic was shivering as she asked this stone-cold killer the question that could get her killed.

“The only thing that matters. Love and respect from people who thought that I was worth saving cousin.” Sam’s tone of voice softened as she thought about the five US Deputy Marshals that had been assigned to protect her during the trials for the surviving members of the Great Lakes Mob. “If not for them; I would have happily joined my family in death cousin.”

Angelic's voice was small and fearful as she asked. “How do you keep from returning to such darkness?”

“It is a struggle Angelic. I fight for Redemption and Salvation daily. As for how I keep away from the darkness Angelic. I don’t. I use it now to bring Justice to those who seek to flee or believe they are above the Law. Just as I always have since those dark and bloody days all those many years ago. The only difference now is I no longer kid myself about using it.” Samantha told her bluntly. There was no feeling in Sam’s voice now. Just pure logic. “If you choose to return to us after you dealt with Delicato you will find more than a few of us welling to help you deal with the darkness Angelic.”

“I will be honest Samantha. The thought of leaving the Orders has crossed my mind more than once today. No, I will be honest. I have been thinking about leaving the Orders since I first found this mess.” Angelic sighed.

“Why?” Sam’s one-word question made Angelic take a deep breath.

“There is a part of the report that I was ordered to keep to myself cousin. It concerns how the original painting came into the possession of that pig Borgatti.” Angelic never took her eyes off the darkening countryside. “That painting was used as payment to the Church by the NAZIs. Payment in helping to secure passage to South America for war criminals.”

“Holy shit! Just how far back does this mess go Angelic?” Samantha asked in unadulterated shock.

“Samantha, I have been working the case for the art recovering division for the last three years. There is a whole task force within Interpol devoted solely to recovering those looted art works of World War Two. So far, we’ve only recovered maybe a third. I was placed within that task force with the sole purpose of keeping the Interpol Investigators away from any connection to the Church’s involvement in those eighty-year-old crimes.” Angelic waited for her cousin’s explosion of anger. An explosion that never came.

“Damn. That is just fucked up. No wonder you’ve had such a crisis of faith.” Sam sighed. “I suggest that you talk with mama Maria when you get the chance. I have a feeling cousin that you have been played by the Iscariot Division for far longer than you think.”

T.O.C. Ram's Rock Island:

“Ready to send the briefing packet Lyssa.” Kimberly said from her terminal.

Lyssa was changing Alison's diaper. “Good. Send it. Then call Darcy at the school and find Marissa. She's supposed to be Sydney. I think.”

Just as she finished attaching the diaper’s tabs, Kimberly snapped her fingers. Lyssa picked up the phone on the desk.

“Darcy. It's Lyssa. Sorry it’s late, but I need something.” Lyssa said quickly.

Darcy Stronmeyer replied. “You always did keep whacky hours, nothing new. What's up?”

“Maria DeMarco cashed in a favor. She needs to borrow the school for a deal. Vouch for her.” Lyssa said then continued at Kimberly’s nod. “Check your email, details are there.”

Darcy was apparently doing that. “Right. That's all I need to do?”

“Yes. Also, I'm going to talk to Marissa Adams about taking my interest in the school. She has more time for side-projects than I do.” Lyssa said heavily.

Darc chuckled. “Babies do that to a girl. Even you. How are they?”

“Heavy as cinder blocks and into everything they can see. Strange. Their little arms aren’t even two feet long and I have to move everything four feet away. They’re finally walking now.” Lyssa griped.

Darcy laughed. “Before they’re born, you pray they have all their fingers and toes, but by the time they’re two; you want to break both their arms and legs!”

“Mhmm. Save me Darcy. Save me.” Lyssa gave her a mock plea.

“Nah… more fun to make you suffer. Later.” Darcy giggled and hung up.

Lyssa switched to the line Kimberly was indicating. “Marissa? Hey, I'm sending you an email. You need a hobby. Bye.”

Kimberly was laughing as Lyssa hung up. “Now that’s mean.”

“How much am I going to lose?” Lyssa asked picking up Alex too.

Kimberly shrugged. “Not even a hundred thousand per year. That’s off the Zurich list. Sure, you want to dump it?”

“Creating things to be exploited is one thing, exploiting something that was already real is another. Especially by somebody else. If I did it, I might have been able to keep it. Maria borrowing it means I have to give it up. It’s not a serious loss, financially. It looked good on paper though. I’ll find something else to take its place.” Lyssa sighed then started heading up to go home. “Speaking of other things, when this one is over and I get the bikes running right, you need to take a working vacation. Go to Japan. Take Mindy, she’ll love it.”

Kimberly sat back in her chair. “Will Joe?”

“You’ll be able to stay at the Jade so he should. They’ll give him privacy to relax.” Lyssa answered then went out.

In the hangar Lyssa stopped at the lockers. She set the twins down then opened her locker. Slowly thumbed the hidden dials and pulled the panel at the top to swing down. Inside were five slim black cases, like hard cases for eyeglasses. The twins babbled at her, drawing her attention.

“I know.” Lyssa said to them, as if they understood. “Only five; if I use them. And then I’m done.”

“Mama.” Alison said then patted Lyssa's leg.

Lyssa closed the compartment, the locker and picked them back up. “But Mama isn’t done yet. Let’s go find Daddy. Warlock, kommen.”

The tactical Belgian yipped and followed eagerly.

-----tbc-----

up
404 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

plans in place

we'll have too if they unfold as expected, or if everybody's least favorite pal Murphy pays a visit

DogSig.png

Murphy's law for black ops:

Monique S's picture

Everything that can go wrong will: deal with it!

Monique S

In the words of my Platoon Sgt.

wolfjess7's picture

Murphy's law is states that anything can go wrong and will. Maxim's states the anything can go wrong will go and at the worse possible time. These are the two laws of Combat that all black ops teams factor in when planning.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Murphy's Law

The first corollary to Murphy's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Ah. A new chapter.

WillowD's picture

I have long lost track of how many times I have re-read everything in this entire universe. I am so glad that new stuff is still coming out. Thank you.

Chapter length

Robyn B's picture

Just as we are getting back into the story, the chapter ends.

Grrrr...

Robyn B
Sydney

What will become of the Iscariot Division

With all the revelations (pun intended) about the behavior of the Iscariot Division to the Maria DeMarco and her family, the Capezio family- especially Samantha, most recently Angelic Demarco and in the past, the free world as regards aiding and abetting Nazi war criminals, I see a day of reckoning coming. By the time the Black Badges are through, and I include Angelic in their number, the Iscariot Division may wind up as nothing more than the the Iscariot Squad.

As for Msgr. Delacorte, I see every member of the team taking part in stabbing him- much like the end of the 1974 version of "Murder On The Orient Express" when Poirot narrates the flashback of how each suspect, in turn, stabbed Samuel Ratchett for his crimes- but blames persons unknown who escaped the train.

Droga Jess

Jak zwykle wspaniały rozdział :) ale bardziej mnie interesuje czy bliźniaczki Annette to Lilly i Teressa :) :)

If the opportunity presents itself?

Jamie Lee's picture

Going to Prices home is for recon, but if the opportunity presented itself might Maria take the moment to give Sylvia her just reward? Sylvia believes a Prima is going to visit, not the true Dove who is gaining information that allows Sylvia's death to take place.

Others have feelings too.

Another option

Would for Sam to use "The Sleep Of The Beautiful Death" on Price. The visit would be unremarkable and Price's death that night would be chalked up to natural causes. Of course we now know that her personal secretary is just as dirty as Sylvia Price, so that would present additional complications...

I wonder

winterwolf12's picture

having just reread the eight chapters to date I wonder if the Iscariot Division placed tracking devices on Angelic
when she changed Habits and rosary when became part of the Iscariot Division. they have shown that they
can not be trusted as a whole Karl Ferdinand Maybe trust worthy but I don't trust the rest.