New Tale to Tell Chapter 19: The Winter Dance

Printer-friendly version

New Tale to Tell
Chapter 19
by Justin M.
Copyright © 2020 Justin M. All rights reserved.

“Jonathan? What are your intentions with Shelby?..."
Robert downs his scotch while he absorbs the young man’s words, stepping to the bar he fixes another. He can feel the alcohol warm his blood, relieving the tension he feels whenever the thought of his daughter being intimate arises. Over his shoulder he asks the question he's been avoiding...


~o~O~o~

Chapter 19: The Winter Dance

November has descended on the south. The evening finds Robert enjoying a rare few hours alone. Thanksgiving’s fast approach has prompted the girls to go out for some early Christmas shopping. Settled in with the remnants of three fingers of scotch and engrossed in his favorite medical journal, his quiet is interrupted by a knock at the door.

Answering the door he greets Jonathan. “Why hello there my boy. Don't tell me you’ve forgotten this is girls night out?”

“No sir. I actually came by to speak to you.”

“Really? C'mon in and tell me what's on your mind. Can I get you a drink? Water? A soda?” He goes to freshen his single malt.

“No thank you sir.”

“Ok bub. What's on your mind?”

“Well sir there is a dance coming up at school. It’s nothing formal. Just a casual event before the break. I thought it would be nice if I could take Shelby. Before asking her I wanted to get your permission first.”

“Wow. You really are old school, aren’t you Jonathan? When is this dance and where?”

“It’s next Friday in the school auditorium. There will be chaperones sir. It ends at eleven. She would be home by midnight.”

Robert sits there thinking, the liquor flowing through his system dissolves his reservations about asking several questions which have been hanging since the weekend at the beach. When Mary convinced him the kids becoming physical was something he couldn’t avoid. And why he gave his understanding, if not his blessing. Those same questions were then compounded by the meeting with Aaron. “Jonathan? What are your intentions with Shelby? Her mother told me Shelby informed you of her condition a while ago and you accept it. Now most boys would be rather turned off by such a thing. Why not you?” He looks questioningly at the young man, “Are you gay Jonathan.”

“Mr. Curtis, being gay implies I'm attracted to the same sex. I'm not attracted to boys. I'm attracted to your daughter. Her intellect and her physical being. Do I realize she has similar parts as I do? Yes, but it's the woman I know, respect and care about that matters to me.” Jonathan’s voice assumes a matter-of fact tone. “Sir, I was raised to believe that when you care about someone, REALLY care, any differences they have, you find ways to accept. Can I overlook what kind of genitalia she has? No. Can I accept it based on what my feelings for her tell me she is? Yes. What's more my adapting to Shelby's uniqueness feels right for me. Sir, Shelby feels right to me.”

Robert downs his scotch while he absorbs the young man’s words, stepping to the bar he fixes another. He can feel the alcohol warm his blood, relieving the tension he feels whenever the thought of his daughter being intimate arises. Over his shoulder he asks the question he's been avoiding. “You two have been together?”

“No sir. Not completely. But enough to know her, um....”

“Biology?”

“Yes sir. Enough to know her biology is not an issue for me.”

“Promise me this, If you find it does matter, remember she is still the same person you fell for, and when she turns 18 she will be able to undergo SRS.”

“Yes sir. It won't ever matter sir.”

He thinks it over and decides he believes the kid. “Enjoy the dance. You have my permission to ask her to go. I will speak to Mary about extending her curfew, to say, dawn?”

“Really? Thank you sir.”

“Jonathan? Why don't you and I go get a bite to eat? My treat. You drive. I may want a few in me before talking to Mary about the curfew.”

Later when the boys return Shelby and her mother are curled up on the couch watching a movie. A bowl of popcorn between them.

“Hi Daddy! Mom, look what Daddy brought me! A cute boy! How thoughtful.”

“Hi sweetie. I think this is yourss.” His words slur just a bit as he points in Jonathan's general direction.

“Robert, have you been drinking?”

“Yup. My boy here has ssomething to talk to Shelby about.”

“Oh he does, does he? What do you want to talk about Jonny?”

He hadn't planned on asking her tonight but the well lubricated Dr. Curtis forced his hand.

“Well Shelby, it's like this. The Winter Dance is-”

“YES!”

“Yes?”

“I mean... yes. I would love to go with you. That is, if you're asking?”

“I'm asking.”

“Then I'm yes-ing.”

She gives him a quick kiss then turns to her mother. “We need to go shopping mom! ...again.”

Robert walks up and puts his arms around the kids. “See boy! I said you had nothing to be nervouss about. Oh and Mary? You and me, that makes "we,” ‘hic’ decided he can keep her out till dawn. OK! I'm headed to bed. Night all!” He hugs the kids and wanders towards the bedroom.

Mary jumps up to follow, “Robert!”

….

Friday, Jonathan picks up Shelby for dinner before the dance. As the evening is a non formal affair, he is wearing fashionable jeans, a button down shirt - untucked, and loafers. The entire outfit, hand-picked by Shelby.

When Jonathan walks in, Mary is there with her camera, a devious smile across her face. “Shelby will be out in a minute. Until then… “ 'Click’.

Robert looks up from the case file he's reading “Well I'll be... That is NOT the potato sack I approved, young lady.”

“Oh Daddy. Stop.”

Jonathan turns to see his date. He lets out a long breath. Shelby had traded in her signature petticoats for a simple off the knee dress with open shoulder quarter sleeves and pleats. It does little to hide her figure. AND it's arrest-me red. A white bangle on her wrist and matching earrings accessorize her ensemble. On her feet are three inch red patent leather pumps. Her lipstick matches the dress perfectly.

“Wow Bee! You sure know how to make an entrance. You're beautiful. I brought this for you.” He holds up a single red rose.

Shelby accepts the flower with a thank-you and a light kiss. She tastes berry sweet with a hint of lipstick.

“I've made a reservation at Chadwick’s. Mr. and Mrs Curtis? You are welcome to join us. Provided you don't tell Mr. Maxwell. He will think I'm cheating on him.”

“Not tonight son. The grown-ups have plans. But thank you.”

Mary adds, “We will have our cells with us if you need anything. Be sure to keep us posted on where you are. You plan on ending up at your place?”

“Yes ma’am. Dinner, the dance, a ride to the beach, then after to my place. Unless you want me to bring her home?”

“NO!” They all look to Shelby. “I mean we will be fine. Besides Mommy and Daddy deserve a night without me bugging them.”

“Smooth Bee, real smooth. Now your father will be up all night wondering.” Mary winks at her daughter. “Go have fun you two.”

With a quick kiss for each of her parents, Shelby practically drags her boyfriend out the door.

“Should I run out and tell her we changed our minds?” Robert grins evilly at his wife and wrings his hands like a mad scientist.

“As much fun as that sounds,” She roughly grabs his shirt front, “Momma’s got other plans for you mister.” Locking lips, Mary drags him to the floor on top of her.

Dinner isn’t Maxwell's but nonetheless enjoyable. It lasts long enough for the couple to arrive at the school’s auditorium fashionably late. Many eyes turn to the handsome young man and the Knockout in the red dress. As in most social settings, the girls, even those already attached, wish to size up the competition. That the Knockout is Shelby, only serves to heat up the evening. The presence of her and the new boy takes mere minutes to permeate the throngs of students.

Jonathan immediately leads Shelby to the dance floor. No kids are dancing yet. Thanks to his mother, he is capable and comfortable enough to do a better than fair job of moving to the beat. With Shelby it's easy. Their natural rhythm and chemistry removes the awkwardness many teens experience dancing. The initial surprise at the appearance of the pair, allows them to enjoy the dance floor to themselves for a few songs.

“Jonny. Everyone is staring.”

“Of course they are. I've the hottest date in the state. They're jealous. I say; let em drool!”

“Are you sure? I've never been to a dance before. The only ‘dates’ I've had, have been with you.”

“I certainly hope it stays that way.” He gives her a squeeze. “As for everyone else, no worries Bee. Once they come to terms with how hot you are, they will go back to their own circles. For now, just enjoy being a celebrity.”

After the initial shock of seeing the couple, more students join in. Almost a dozen songs later the pair takes a break for a soda. Not yet comfortable enough to be left alone Shelby gets in line with Jonathan.

“Shelby! YOU ARE GORGEOUS!” She turns and it's Madison.

“I'm sorry?”

“Shelby you are the prettiest girl here. Everyone is soooo jealous of your outfit!”

“W-well thanks. I'm not sure what to say.” The line moves forward but Shelby, distracted, stands talking to the girl.

“Don't worry about it. How did you ever manage to attract the new boy, Jonathan? All the girls are crazy jealous that he fell for you!”

Even in the dim light of the dance her blushing is evident. “I don't know. Just lucky?”

“You sure are. Is he as sweet as he is cute?”

“Jonny is simply wonderful. He accepts me just as I am. I don't ever feel I have to pretend for him. I can just be myself.”

“I’m happy for you. You two are a cute couple. Do you think you could show me how to do my hair that way?...”

Thus the evening goes. Jonathan and Shelby dance. Between dances they socialize with other students. Shelby is having the time of her life. She is finally feeling accepted when one of the cheerleaders makes a comment.

“You know Shelby, so many of the girls have been jealous of your friendship with Jonathan. Then to find out he's your boyfriend! I mean, WOW! None of us could figure out why he never showed the slightest interest in any of the girls around school. It wasn’t until we saw you two together tonight that it finally dawned on us.”

“What was that?” Shelby hasn’t picked up on the other girl’s catty tone.

“Well it seems that it's true about what they say… All the really hot ones are gay. It's almost a shame, but I'm happy for you.”

“You think Jonathan is gay?”

“Well what would you call it?’

Conveniently Jonathan walks up. “Jonny can we go? I'm not having fun anymore.”

The look in her eyes is met with understanding. “Sure, but could we first do just this one slow dance? Please? You can tell me what's wrong out on the floor.”

“Ok”, he leads her out to the floor. It's a romantic slow song. He puts his hands on her waist and she places hers on his shoulders. Her head against his chest. They sway to the music. After a minute...

“So as your mom would say, ‘Alright 'Bee! Spill it.’”

“Jonathan, they think we're gay.”

Jonathan openly laughs, “Well some less informed minds might think that. What do you think?”

“I think that we are a normal couple. The whole boy and girl thing.”

“Good! Because that's what I think too.”

“So how do we change their minds?”

“We don't. We just do what we do. They are going to accept it or not. Those that do will either accept it at face value or do what your friend the cheerleader did. Find some way to bound it. Right or wrong, they will put it in terms that they are capable of understanding and accepting.”

“Will it always be like this?” She looks up at him, her lips parted, inviting.

“If you mean like this…” Jonathan leans in and kisses her. Deeply, passionately, their tongues intertwined for all to see. Several of the couple's dancing near actually stop and stare. When the kiss finally breaks, Jonathan finishes, “Yes I believe for us it will always be like this.” She lays her head against his chest. They continue swaying long after the music ends.

“Jonny, I'm ready to go for that walk now.”

As he leads her out, Ms. Hayes is by the door. She smiles at the young couple with her hand raised for the customary ‘fist bump’, Jonathan obliges, “Boom! You two nailed it!”

Shelby smiles at her teacher and breathily says “Thanks.”



This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events, locales, and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.


This was one of those chapters which seemed to write itself. It was banged out in a sky-lounge betwixt flights. And much like Robert, a quality single malt was near at hand.

To all those who comment: Thanks for making me better!

v/r
JM

up
115 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Tops!

This story makes me believe in het love. Not enough to try it, mind you. I'll stick to girls, thank you!!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

It took me a while to realize.......

D. Eden's picture

Not just who I was, but how I relate to others mentally, emotionally, and sexually.

I am pansexual.

Like Jonny, I am attracted to a person based on who they are, not what they are. I can and do find both genders attractive - or should I say all genders? But to me, it is all about who the individual is - their personality and beliefs, how they act and treat others, and whether there is a mental and emotional attachment. That is what draws me to a person, and it doesn’t matter if they are male, female, or some other non-binary gender.

Luckily for me, I found my soulmate - and we are still together after nearly 35 years. You see, she is my life and she is what makes me want to go on living.

But I do worry if she will one day wake up and realize I am no longer what she wants........

That thought haunts me, day and night.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

I'm with you on that D.

Lucy Perkins's picture

And I get the haunting fear that it may one day end. But my soulmate stuck with me when I had the Op, and we are still pulling in the same direction. Some times you just have to believe..Love does conquer all.
Lucy xxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Yay. I found this story.

WillowD's picture

I read the first chapter or two when it first came out, then lost track of it. I did a marathon read of it yesterday. I'm quite enjoying this.

"You two nailed it!”

Lucy Perkins's picture

Yup, true love does that, and this certainly feels like true love to me. Go Jonny Go!

Lovely stuff!

Lucy xxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Who's doing who?

Jamie Lee's picture

Johnathan continues to make points with Robert, by asking to take Shelby to the winter dance before asking Shelby.

And it would seem 'The Talk' has had the affect of charging the batteries of the Curtis parents, who are making excuses for any strange noises by saying it's the pipes.

Guess taking Shelby to the winter dance had an affect the teens know nothing about.

Ignorance is always at the top of the list in high school when someone opens their mouth and says something before they learn the truth about something.

That cheerleader still has it in her head, probably like many others, that Shelby is a boy wanting to be a girl. And instead of going to the trouble to learn the whole truth, she opens her mouth and sticks her foot in it.

This upset Shelby because that's all she'd hear before Johnathan started school, and that sore has yet to heal. Johnathan has it right. They accept Shelby or not, it's their problem not her's.

Others have feelings too.