Unaccounted Gains - Book 1 - Part 11

Printer-friendly version
UG1_cover  

Accountancy Can Be Deadly
Part 11

First posted here in 2014, this story had only been available on Kindle since 2017.

 
Spooks
 

Saturday was almost a complete non-event for Gail. Her energy levels were well down, her appetite was nearly non-existent and her willingness to chat was absent. Indeed, she probably said less than a dozen words between rising and returning to her bed in the evening.

She woke at a decent hour on the Sunday morning but any talk of self-defence or driving tuition was still off the menu, she could however manage a light breakfast.

The day itself started slow and even seemed to drag. The Sunday paper wasn't as fulfilling as normal but the country was still in 'silly season' when the Government was on summer holiday. Gail did take a walk down to the summerhouse and helped herself, perhaps unwisely, to an ice cream. There were no ill-effects thankfully so she just sat in the late summer sunshine listening to the sounds around her.

She'd grown fond of a wicker chair that had several large cushions to make it more comfortable. It was big enough to curl her legs up so she was facing towards the lake. In this relaxed state she didn't hear or see anyone approaching.

"Good morning Gail."

She span around suddenly towards the voice, regretting the sharp movement instantly. Gail grabbed her neck and rubbed it as recognition kicked in.

"Hi Helen."

"I understand that you weren't well?"

"I suppose it was self-inflicted?"

Helen pulled another chair over. "Nonsense, the wine you had was off but contained a chemical to mask it so you couldn't have known. I've seen you handle two, or three, glasses before and it's not a big problem. It looks like new management will be needed in that pub though!"

"So why wasn't Justin unwell?"

"He was on soft drinks, wasn't he? That's what he said when he was interviewed."

"Interviewed? That serious?"

"Yes, definitely. We had to eliminate if there was a risk to you."

"I suppose so Helen, am I that valuable?" Her eyes watered and she reached for a tissue.

"Of course you are, all of our guests here are valuable, in their own special way. Talking of which, we've had to speed things up a little as the house is needed for another guest at the weekend."

"Someone like me?"

"No, this one's coming from another country and is more like the standard visitor for here."

"I'm intrigued."

"Sorry Gail, nothing more can be said. Now, how about you move on Friday?"

"Can everything be ready? I haven't finished the accounts."

"We're working on that. One thing is that you'll still need a close protection officer until we know the threat's been dealt with."

"How can that be done?"

"We still have the plan whereby David is killed off."

"But didn't Diane give up my new name?"

"She only knew you as Gail, not as Abigail, so I suggest using Abi as your name for any social contacts. There's also the issue of finding someone, anyone, in London, even with the correct full name."

"True, the hiding in plain sight principle?"

"That's it, however you will still have someone with you."

"Okay, who?"

"I could say Justin but I bet you'd object?"

"You bet I would, I couldn't handle a male, there would be implications."

"We'll work on it, something else for the brainstorming."

"So, what's there to do?"

"How about we decide what clothes and accessories can be moved by van on Monday or Tuesday and you can see the flat at the same time?"

"I have Hannah here Monday, but I don't know what time? Plus I'm supposed to be having driving lessons."

"We'll shelve the lessons for now, but a little more self-defence could be useful. Now, onto the most important issue."

"What's that?"

"Ice cream!"

Gail's mood had changed during just that short chat with Helen, she finally had a defined leaving date, even if it was because the house was needed for a spook from an unnamed country. Then she remembered, doing the work she did, could class her as a spook too. She was back in her room by now, changing her skirt due to a small accident with the chocolate shell of the ice cream.

Taking the opportunity to have a freshen, she actually felt up to lunch today; her tummy had actually settled - just as well considering the freezing treatment it had just had.

Gail and Helen sat together for lunch, careful not to discuss anything they has said earlier. Gail had no idea of the consequences but believed only her and Helen knew of the plans. Surprisingly Helen invited her into the range after lunch.

"Why?"

"It's precautionary, but it never hurts to learn?"

"Okay, but I'm not doing bad."

"Let's go."

An hour on the range with Helen was a challenge as well as a practice, it left Helen feeling bad about it.

"Sorry."

"What about?" Gail was panting after the activity.

"I did beat you."

"I didn't think there was a competition, besides seems you have had much more practice!"

"Hmmmm, maybe."

They'd moved into the conservatory, giving Gail access to the ammunition there, although it wasn't clear who threw the first cushion.

There was a cough, causing both to look up; Jenny glared for a moment then walked away. The girls recovered their senses, replaced the cushions and straightened their clothing.

"How about we meet after dinner," asked Helen?

"Sure, maybe?"

"Still not 100% ?"

"Guess not."

"Go have a lie down."

Gail felt like saying something but knew Helen was right; she wasn't firing on all cylinders that day so a couple of hours R&R wouldn't do any harm.

They both walked up the stairs to their rooms, going opposite ways at the top. Gail kicked off her shoes as she walked in the door before flopping on the bed. There was a fresh water bottle from which she poured into a glass. Picking up the TV remote she selected the BBC rolling news channel but couldn't keep her eyes open as the world's doom & gloom played.

Her phone rang just after five thirty with a reminder about dinner. Gail's first look in the mirror wasn't good, her hair was a mess and wouldn't respond to a brushing; that required a quick shower. It was therefore a somewhat different looking Gail to walked into the dining room half an hour later, her third change of the day.

Gail avoided the wine that was on offer, a Cabernet Shiraz, and sipped barley water instead as she ate. She had tons of questions for Helen but now wasn't the best time. Indeed, after the meal finished, Gail decided that any other business could wait until the morning.

 
Amersham
 
"So how are you doing, Gail?"

"Fine, Hannah, apart from a lousy weekend."

"Under the weather?"

"Yes, I'd had some dodgy wine and an icky tummy."

Gail and Dr Hannah Young were stood outside the conservatory just after breakfast on Monday morning. It was now four weeks since the escape from London when David Jones had taken the persona of Gail Jones. A month of disguises was now a complete identity and she was comfortable. They set off, across the lawn, towards the summerhouse.

"Would you ever consider going back?"

"Back to Hackney or back to my old self?"

"Either, or both?"

"No."

"What's your aim then?"

"I leave here later this week to my own place with a career as an accountant again."

"What if it goes wrong?"

"There's a fall-back plan but I'd rather not discuss it."

"For security reasons?"

"Quite."

Hannah thought about her next question before putting it to Gail.

"Have you had any doubts about transitioning?"

"None, not that it was even an option four weeks ago.."

"Wasn't this just to escape, to hide?"

"It might have been at the time but it changed within two days. Over the previous six months I must have wondered what it would be to live full-time as Gail but I dismissed it then as unworkable."

"So why decide now and not six months ago?"

"Confidence for one thing, wondering if I could keep my business running when clients found out and being scared stiff at the prospect of the Charing Cross Gender Clinic.”

"That was then, what do you say now about the same questions?"

"I'm more confident and don't see myself as anything other than a woman, I'm starting up a new business with backing and everything on the transitioning path can be private as I will have enough resources."

"What about surgery?"

"I don't have a time-scale, plus I'd like some development here first." Gail cupped her breasts briefly.

"That's a common response, but would you go ahead with surgery?"

"Yes, without a doubt."

"Do you have any questions for me?"

"Well, what arrangements can be made for me to see you after I've moved?"

"I have an NHS and a private clinic at Hillingdon hospital every few weeks so could see you there. If you are on a private health scheme that covers gender identity then the cost isn't an issue."

"I'll have to check that out. Unfortunately I don't know my new home address and I haven't established a personal email address yet, can I have your business card?"

"Certainly. Anything else?" Dr Young dug into her handbag.

"Yes, time for an ice cream?" They’d reached the summerhouse veranda.

"No I think I'll pass on that, but you need to watch your weight Gail."

"Okay Hannah, are we done?"

"Yes."

"I'll walk you back to the house."

Gail was grateful that her shrink had arrived early as Helen had reminded her that they still had a fair bit to talk about. Emily had also arrived just as breakfast finished, although she had soon snaffled a boiled egg and soldiers. The three of them met in the library once Gail was free. Helen sat, listening, as Emily took charge.

"I understand you're moving this week, Gail?"

"That's right, although I've not seen the place yet and there's still a few unanswered questions."

"I've had a request from Helen to provide you with an armed officer for a few weeks."

"Thanks Emily, I hope it's a female officer?"

"Of course, we may use someone from the Diplomatic Squad or one who's recently finished at Buckingham Palace."

"So I'll get all the Royal Family gossip?"

"I believe that would be high treason and it's still a capital offence!" Emily laughed. "Anyway, I'm here with news."

"Go ahead."

"The Germans raided several places including the Iranian Cultural Centre and detained two of the staff there. These were supposed to be clerics but in practice were collecting funds for various Al Qaeda groups."

"That's what I suspected."

"Yes, a few bank accounts were seized, there were several million Euros waiting to be transferred."

"What about the rest of the personnel there?"

"They've been allowed to remain as they weren't involved, but their activities will be monitored just to be sure."

"You said there were other premises?"

"Several warehouses were visited, the Police found a small arsenal of weapons and arrested more Iranians who had been granted asylum in Germany."

"They had a strange way of thanking Germany for taking them in?"

"Indeed. Now, amongst what else they discovered in the warehouses was plenty of documentation. Included in that were names and addresses of contacts in London who we weren't aware of. The ones we could locate have been brought in and we're talking to them. So, that information that you identified has resulted in anti-terrorist arrests in two countries so far, with several other European countries about to detain others on the same basis. An entire network is being brought down."

"Wow. So this is big?"

"Yes, I've been called to the Cabinet Office to attend a COBRA meeting this afternoon so I can give the PM and ministers a heads up. They'll want to know where the intel came from but, don't worry, we'll protect your identity."

"Thanks. Were any of the arrests here a threat to me?"

"We're working on that but we've seen nothing as yet. That's everything I can give you."

"Thanks Emily, you best get going now if you're going to make it to Downing Street in time!"

"Bye."

With Emily gone, Helen took over.

"Now Gail, how do you fancy a drive?"

"To the flat?"

"Yes, come on."

They nipped down to the garage just as Emily was leaving, A minute later they were following in Helen's car. Their route took them onto the M25 London Orbital at Junction 24 and heading anti-clockwise to Junction 18 to pick up the Amersham Road. Gail was getting more certain of the house's location being in South Hertfordshire, close to Potters Bar, regardless of Helen's denials and repeated use of unsigned country lanes until they were some distance away.

Despite Helen's attempted distractions it only took just over forty minutes to cover the journey, they pulled up outside a modern looking apartment block.

"I take it we're here?"

"Yes, here's a set of keys. You're in Flat 8 on the top floor."

"Was that for security?"

"No, it was the only empty one in the block but it does allow for some discrete surveillance. Come on, let's go in; the red key opens the lobby door."

Gail opened the door easily and walked into the lobby. There was an attendant sat at a desk inside.

"Hello, I don't believe I've seen you before? What's your name please Miss?"

"Abigail Adams."

"Ah, just moving in?"

"Yes, first time here. "

Helen now walked into view.

"Miss Bell? I didn't see you there."

"No worries Harry, you'll be seeing plenty of me and my client this week."

"Yes, you said your agency was setting everything up, I believe you've just moved back into the country Miss Adams?"

Gail picked up on the ruse, "That's right Harry. Anyway, I'm busting to use the loo."

"I won't keep you."

They used the lift and rose to the eighth floor, there being one flat per floor. When Gail let herself into the place she was amazed first at the space, then the view over the Chiltern Hills.

"It's wonderful, thank you Helen!" Gail threw her arms around Helen and kissed her.

"Less of that young lady, I'm on duty! The toilet is over there," she pointed, "and the kitchen is opposite. I have two pints of fresh milk in my bag and you're stocked for tea and coffee."

"Put the kettle on then, I'll be back in a mo."

The flat was indeed spacious, with two decent sized bedrooms, a third small bedroom that had been equipped as an office, plus the usual kitchen/diner and lounge area. The tour did not take very long.

"Have you chosen which bedroom you want, Gail?"

"Oh, the one furthest from the front door."

"I'll arrange for your clothes and bits to be brought over and put in there. Everything else that you might need is here, we'll do some shopping on Friday to fill the fridge. The phone and fibre broadband are on now, there's a military specification encryptor on order so you could work from here if necessary plus you'll have secure communications. There's a safe, plus video entryphone. Harry, the doorman is there Monday to Saturday from 8 to 5 to deal with deliveries and unwelcome guests. What do you think?"

"I think it's brilliant, and I'm so grateful that you've done this for me."

"Gail, you're only just beginning a wonderful relationship with the Security Service, your information has already saved countless lives, resulting in the confiscation of millions of pounds and euros. I think we can afford this!"

"If you put it that way!"

"Now, did you know that Amersham is the last station on the Metropolitan Line of the Underground network, it's also on the Chiltern mainline into Marylebone Station, so there's easy access into London and Oxford. If you look out of your bedroom window you can see the station, it's about a mile away. An easy walk until you get a scooter. Forget parking a car anywhere near the station, though."

"Right. Hadn't we better get back for lunch?"

"And to start packing, but first wash those mugs up."

 
Sophie
 

By Tuesday morning Gail had packed much of her clothing away, although a portable clothing rail had been found for most of those things that shouldn't be creased. These had been sent off to the flat in one of the vans whilst Gail got on with some of her investigations in the library.

Helen had disappeared on Monday afternoon, claiming other duties. This didn't disappoint Gail as much as she'd feared now that she was about to be a free agent again, sort of. The continued tie to the Security Service was more of a safety net than a leash but it was also where most of her work would come from.

"Gail, it's almost lunch time, you've been in there for hours."

"Thanks, Jenny. I just want to get as much of this done as possible."

"Well, it's break time."

"I'll be with you in ten minutes."

"Okay. Oh, there's a package for you in your room."

Gail shut down the laptop and packed it away in the supplied laptop bag. There'd been an email from Dave Brown thanking her for the recent work and giving some more details on the German operation, none of which she could repeat - naturally. He'd also requested the laptop back so it could be modified, quite what that meant she was unsure.

She walked upstairs to freshen up, finding the package on her bed. She identified it immediately as a mobile phone but wondered why she now had two? This question would have to wait for Helen's return as no-one else seemed to have answers.

Lunch brought a new face to the table.

"You must be Abigail Adams?"

"Yes, sorry you have me at a disadvantage?"

"Ah, apologies, I'm DS Sophie Grieve and I've been asked to be your close protection officer."

"Right, I wasn't expecting anyone before the end of the week?"

"I was available, I finished with the Diplomatic Protection Group two weeks ago and have been on leave, when I was called by DI Keane yesterday it was good timing as I didn't have to wait to be replaced."

"That's good timing then, I suppose you would like to see the flat?"

"Yes, but tomorrow is soon enough. First I'd like to get to know you, we can't appear to be strangers."

"Quite, but I'm unsure how much I can tell you."

"Apparently there's a John Smith coming here this afternoon to give us a security briefing."

"I've met him."

Lunch arrived so they concentrated on the food. Gail knew if she and Sophie didn't gel then someone else would have to be drafted in, not ideal as time was running out. Sophie would obviously have to know Gail's personal secret and so far had only been given the Abigail identity. She excused herself after lunch so she could have a wash, although Sophie then followed her up the stairs and into Gail's room.

"Oh."

"Sorry Abigail, but if we need to get to know each-other then it has to start somewhere."

"Can you at least not follow me into the bathroom?"

"Sure."

Gail returned a few minutes later, Sophie was sat on the bed. It didn't look as if she had been opening drawers to check Gail's sizes, or lingerie preferences for that matter.

"Abigail, Is there somewhere better we can talk?"

"The sun's out, so why don't we use the hidden garden?"

After pausing at the summer house to collect some vital supplies they walked into the walled garden and settled on a bench. Gail was uncomfortable, but knew this was a necessary step.

"Sophie, why don't you tell me something about yourself?"

"Okay, I'm 31 years old, single. I'm London born and bred, have a degree in psychology, I love good food, music and theatre, I also enjoy hiking. I've been a police officer for nine years and was promoted a year ago. I spent five years in the Diplomatic Protection Group."

"Right, how much of a briefing have you been given about me?"

"That you're an accountant working for the Security Service. I know that there is, or was, a contract out on you and several viable attempts have been made to kill you. There have also, apparently, been some security lapses. The plan is that I stay for a month to start with, with an option on a two month extension."

"Well, that's some of it. I'll be working from the flat alot but we'll have no visitors there who are not cleared, okay?"

"I guessed as much."

"Okay, I'm 32 years old, from Hackney originally, and I've worked as an accountant since I left college a decade ago. Abigail is not the name I was born with but it is my name now, Although I'm known as Gail here, my name in public at all times must be Abi or Abigail and never just Gail. One other thing, I'm transgendered so if that makes you uncomfortable then we best finish there."

"Not at all, it turns out my brother was transgendered but apparently couldn't handle it, he committed suicide when I was at university ; that's one reason I joined the police, to help deal with hate crime."

"I'm sorry you lost your brother, did you know her female name?"

"No, and I never met her either. All I know is what he wrote in a letter to me shortly before he, she, died."

"So sad."

"I'm over it now, but I still get the feeling I never really knew him, or her."

Gail reached out and took Sophie's hands in her own. There was an unspoken conversation going on, Gail knew that she could trust Sophie.

There was a cough from behind, Justin was stood there.

"Hi Sophie, long time no see?"

"Hello Justin, are you still up to your old tricks?"

"What, me?" He started to turn red.

"Yes, you. I'm sure you didn't come down here to try ask for another date with me?"

"No, there's a visitor at the house to see both of you. He's in the library."

"Thank you Justin," Gail was forceful in her delivery of those words, Justin turned and walked away. Once he was clear of the garden, she needed to know more.

"What's the problem Sophie?"

"He comes over smooth but he's really just working out how quick he can get to third base."

"I noticed."

"He had a go at you too?"

"Let me tell you about it as we walk back."

The security briefing with John Smith was mostly the blah-blah type but Gail's interest peaked when he said a technical guy would be coming around the following week to install some security equipment. He also warned Gail not to disclose her previous identities to anyone, including Sophie.

"I don't need to tell you not to disclose who you work for?"

"Not at all. I don't have my cover story fully arranged yet, though."

"I'm sure that's something Miss Bell will be handling?"

"Probably."

"Could you send Miss Grieve in now?"

"Certainly."

Gail was pleased to get out of there, even though she knew enough of the workings of the Security Service that such advice could save her neck, literally. In her time guarding royalty and diplomats, Sophie had obviously had many briefings but Gail doubted she had worked directly with the spooks before.

It was just the two girls in the dining room for the evening meal, Gail again passed on the wine.

"What are you doing after dinner, Abi?"

"Just heading to my room for an early night."

"Okay."

"Do you fancy a swim in the morning?"

"There's a pool? What time?"

"Yes, it's in the basement. Meet by my room at seven?"

"I'll be there."

 
----
 
Accountancy Can Be Deadly - concludes with the next chapter, Part 12.

This book, and the follow-up - Spying By Numbers - are also both available for Kindle.

The third book, Diminishing Returns is currently in production.

up
227 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Independence

joannebarbarella's picture

Of a sort, coming soon. The flat sounds nice and Abi will have some company to start with.

So....the wine was spiked. That explains why she didn't pick it.

Moving is always a chore

Jamie Lee's picture

Moving is always a chore, more so if things have to be disarded. But in Abi's case, it means she's been sprung from her cell. It also means she'll have to be more aware of her surroundings at home and out and about.

Having a room mate will be a first for Abi, but for her protection. Hopefully she and Sophie will get along.

Others have feelings too.