Unaccounted Gains - Book 1 - Part 9

Printer-friendly version
UG1_cover  

Accountancy Can Be Deadly
Part 9

First posted here in 2014, this story had only been available on Kindle since 2017.

 
Life, The Universe and Everything
 

Gail was alone in the pool again, and similarly at the breakfast table.

"Good morning Gail, you have a couple of appointments today."

"Not too many please Jenny, I do have a packed diary!"

Jenny managed a smile, even if the joke was becoming rather worn.

"Quite, the doctor would like to see you this morning, when he manages to get off the motorway, and Helen will be here for dinner."

"Not too bad then."

"No, also I can confirm your transport is arranged for tomorrow morning. The meeting is at ten so you'll head from here at eight thirty to make sure."

"That'll be fun, driving into central London in the morning."

The doctor finally arrived at ten o'clock, less than happy with Tuesday's M25 traffic, although the combine harvester on one of the nearby country roads came a close second place in his ire.

"Medical room please, is that nurse around?"

"I've not seen her this morning."

"Damn, I'm supposed to have a female present for any patient who presents female, if you get my gist. I'm sorry that it was overlooked two weeks ago."

Gail ignored the apology as too little too late. "Is the nurse there for your or my protection?"

"Both."

They reached the medical room and went in, but Doctor Hughes left the door open.

"An examination is out of the question, given the circumstances unless there's a problem?"

"No problem down there doctor."

"Fine, as usual tell me or Anna if there's anything, but I wouldn't expect any issues now. Right, next is an armful of your finest blood."

The repertoire of checks concluded with height, weight, blood pressure and a listen to her ticker.

"Good good, you've put on two kilos in the past ten days, plus your colour is better. We'll drop the iron tablets down to one a day, I guess you're remembering to take them plus the HRT?"

"Yes, although they're really birth control pills, aren't they?"

"Of course, but little point calling it a contraceptive in your case?"

She laughed.

"Now Gail, I think I don't need to see you again unless something crops up. Here's a prescription for sixty iron tablets, that'll be good for two months, by which time you should be registered with an NHS Doctor."

"I'd hope so, it's a bit stir crazy being stuck in here."

"I understand, I do, but there's a reason for everything whether or not we accept it."

"I know, and thanks."

Gail walked to her room and stared out of the window wondering if she'd finally explored all of the property? Could she get out undetected? Unlikely. What would happen to her security clearance if she decided to go solo, to escape? Could she re-establish herself?

Gail tried to busy herself but it wasn't working; the author Douglas Adams once wrote that 'Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so' and on this day Gail knew that to be very true.

When lunchtime had finally arrived she asked for a tray and took it down the garden, just for something different to do. Gail had no energy today for the fitness suite and no brainpower necessary for analysis of the accounts so she made her way back into the house as the skies were darkening and went to her room. She stared at the ceiling for a while then dozed off, mostly due to a lack of anything else better to do.

Gail was woken by a knocking on her door, although a few moments later there was a crash of thunder that would definitely have grabbed her attention.

There was a knock on her door again.

"Come in."

"Gail, we're worried about you."

Gail pulled herself up the bed, "hi Helen. I had nothing to do."

"I think we need to get you sorted for the long-term."

"Sometime soon?"

"Working on it. I understand you have a meeting at Thames House tomorrow?"

"That's right, the German federal security service will be there."

"Yes, I've been tasked with getting you there and back safely. Anna will join us but she's not cleared for Thames House yet, the best we can hope for is an 'accompanied' pass for her. You have a standard pass, as do I."

"What about the long-term?"

"Let's talk after dinner, you've got fifteen minutes to make yourself presentable."

"Why would I need to tart myself up, who's going to see me?"

"Right now, just us, but you need to be prepared for life, the universe and everything. Come on!"

Helen left Gail to it. The storm outside seemed to be ebbing as Gail made her way down. She'd changed out of her creased skirt and was now wearing a dress, with make-up repaired. She remembered her bag as well, this time.

Dinner was okay, but her appetite wasn't all there, so much for the doctor's good report that morning! Gail was ushered into the library by Helen as soon as they were done pushing food around, her friend had that brown envelope with her again.

"Let's finish this off, Gail. Here's a new Oyster card for the tubes and buses, there's no need to top it up. Next, we have new Institute of Accountancy certificates for Miss Abigail Adams, finally I have your indemnity insurance certificate and membership of the Chartered Institute of Internal Auditors."

"I can't afford their fees."

"It's covered."

"I also only did the basic course, so I can't have this."

"Yes you can, and don't worry about any training. Let's finish this then I'll tell you what we have in mind."

"Okay."

"We arranged a flat for you over a week ago in Amersham on the far western side of London. Initially it would be a correspondence address for you to establish your new identity but in time you would be able to use it."

"Use it for what?"

"To live there, as a base for your work."

"But what work would I be doing?"

"That depends on what comes up, but you would be a very selective independent accountant and auditor, Your clients might be individuals, families, small businesses, large companies or bigger corporate villains. You wouldn't need to go touting for work, it would be delivered to you. You'll brought in as a freelancer alone or part of a team to deal with cases of internal fraud, pre-taker accounts or maybe just the annual returns. While doing that you would analyse the accounts for Dave Brown's team."

"So would I be working on a salary from the security service?"

"Yes, although you'll have to declare any income from your fees."

"Of course. What about security?"

"The flat would be secure, of course, plus we'd arrange for Anna to share the flat for a while, it's a two bed apartment, until we found someone else or you were happy on your own? Obviously, you won't meet any clients at the flat."

"A bit of a change from here?"

"Yes, and you might already have moved if it were not for the more recent incidents."

"So when can it all happen?"

"Dave Brown is signing this off so plainly wants to talk to you before he agrees to a start date."

"Give me a clue, how soon?"

"We'll talk tomorrow."

 
Need To Know
 

Wednesday morning was dull, outside Gail's bedroom window at least, but she was getting out of the house for the second time this week so the weather was unimportant. Today's trip was one that many people only dream of; Gail was full of questions but Helen was not prepared to field many of them.

"Come on Helen, I want to know all about spy HQ."

"Gail, settle down, it's not spy HQ, it's the home of the Security Service. The spies are the other side of the river." Helen giggled.

The spies in this case were in their strange building on the South Bank of the Thames, as seen in recent James Bond movies. The First World War codename was MI6 but it's properly now known as the Secret Intelligence Service. Gail's trip, however, was to Thames House, home of the Security Service, also known as MI5, on the north side of the River Thames. It was a curious matter that the buildings of MI5 and MI6 faced each other across London's iconic river.

Their journey into Central London started in one of the blacked out vans but the driver soon used an intercom to talk to Helen.

"I've been told that the traffic on the A10 is lousy, there's a lorry on its' side by the North Circular junction. The whole area is at a standstill."

"Plan B then."

"Roger."

Anna, sat next to Gail, was less than happy with this development.

"We don't have enough personnel, I suggest we abort."

"That's not an option today."

Anna reached into her bag and pulled out her weapon, transferring it to a bum bag after checking it. Gail was starting to get worried.

"What's plan B?"

"We divert to Enfield station and take the train. Do you have your Oyster card?"

"It's in my bag."

"Good, but please keep that bag close to you this time."

The van dropped them at Enfield Station in North London and they quickly found a south-bound train into Liverpool Street. There was a procession across the busy concourse into the adjacent Underground Station, with Gail as the filling in a sandwich, Helen in front and Anna behind. They went through the gates together and straight onto the Circle Line Westbound platform, thankfully on the same level as the gates.

Helen insisted that they move close to a platform exit, in case of an incident, but her and Anna's constant scanning of the area brought them to the attention of a roving British Transport Police officer.

"Good morning Ladies, I'm a little concerned that you're acting suspiciously. Where have you come from today?"

"We caught a train from Enfield Town, officer."

"Do you have your tickets?"

"No, we all used our Oyster cards."

"Okay, where are you going?"

"Millbank."

"In that case your best stop is Westminster. What's the reason for your trip there?"

"A visit to The Tate, our first time there!"

"Enjoy your day, ladies."

The officer, seemingly satisfied, wandered away just as a Circle Line train was arriving. They said nothing to each other whilst on The Tube during the fifteen minute journey to Westminster Underground Station. Even once out of the Underground, in the shadow of the UK's Parliament, they walked in silence.

Finally they reached Victoria Tower Gardens on the southern side of the Palace Of Westminster. The crowds were thinning out and Helen was reasonably sure they wouldn't be overheard.

"I must say I was a little worried back at Liverpool St."

Anna was more direct, "we should have aborted the journey as I said."

"No, this is more than a sightseeing tour and can't be re-arranged."

Gail decided to stay out of the argument, even though she was the reason they were walking alongside the River Thames. Ten minutes later they reached the impressive front entrance of Thames House, home of the Security Service.

"Anna, your pass couldn't be arranged in time so I suggest you meet us back here at 2pm."

Anna was now even less impressed with Helen's decisions but had little choice, you do not get into this building without prior clearance. Helen and Gail walked up the steps together and through the outer doors. A light on one of the doorway scanners flashed and two guards moved towards the ladies. Helen spoke softly but without hesitation.

"Good morning, yes I'm carrying a firearm, I will of course be handing it in. My permit and pass are in my bag, my colleague has her pass but this is the first time she's been here. She is not carrying a weapon."

She was directed the visitor reception and instructed to place her weapon in a hopper set into the wall, once she'd shown her pass. Gail was also asked for her pass, so handed it over.

"Miss Adams, I see this is your first visit to Thames House."

"Yes."

"What's your connection to Miss Bell?"

"She's my security escort today and has been my liaison with the Security Service and Met Police for three weeks."

"Okay. You're clear to proceed to the Yellow zone. Given that you've not been here before I have asked for an escort however your pass is authorised for unescorted access to the Yellow zone and Green Zones. Please make sure your pass is on show at all times."

The receptionist handed back Gail's pass and now addressed Helen.

"You're needed in Personnel."

That was that. They now proceeded to a set of airlocks and pressed their passes on a panel, opening the first door. There was a delay of thirty seconds before the second door opened with a slight hiss, they were now inside the secure area.

"Helen, do we have to do that every time we come here?"

"'Fraid so. I'm off to Personnel, I'll catch up with you at lunchtime."

Gail stood there as people passed in and out of the building and didn't see the young man approaching.

"Miss Adams?"

"Err, yes."

"I'm from Mr Brown's team, would you like to come with me?"

***

Gail next saw Helen a few hours later and was feeling exhausted as they carried their lunch trays to a vacant table in the self-service restaurant. Gail guessed that telling Helen anything about the morning's meeting was out of the question at the moment, similarly asking Helen about her own appointment was not permissible here.

"Are you finished with meetings, Gail?"

"Yes. It's only 1pm so what do we do when we've finished lunch?"

"I have a treat for you."

Helen took Gail up in one of the lifts and exited on the Executive Level. They walked past a long line of offices following signs for 'Terrace'. Finally, after the fourth set of doors, they walked into daylight. There was a lounge area but beyond that was a glass wall with views along the Thames and across central London. Almost directly across was the rather odd MI6, or Secret Intelligence Service, HQ. As the day's early low cloud had lifted, the sun was now shining brightly. The view was, truthfully, impressive.

"Wow!"

"Indeed, I still remember the first time I came up here."

Gail took in the view, wishing she had a camera but understanding that she wouldn't have got it into the building. It was with regret that they headed back to the lifts and descended to the main lobby. Helen had to arrange to collect her firearm, which delayed them for a few minutes. Finally they passed through the exit airlocks before they walked down the steps and into the street.

Anna wasn't to be seen so Helen pulled out her phone, checked there was a signal and called Anna's number.

"Okay, see you there."

Helen turned to the South with Gail following.

"Where are we going?"

"Tate Britain."

"Is Anna there, enjoying the art?"

"No, she's in the café dealing with her caffeine habit."

Helen and Gail took a few minutes to reach the gallery, although crossing Millbank was a challenge in itself with the constant black cabs, red buses and multicoloured coaches. Once in the building they followed the signs to the café, finding Anna in a far corner, surveying the room. She did not look happy.

"If you propose this fiasco again, I'm resigning from the job."

"Calm down Anna, I didn't exactly have an easy day either, and I have no idea how Gail got on as yet."

They sat to drink the coffees Anna had organised then Gail asked one of the most important questions of the day.

"How are we getting back?"

Anna now looked smug, "the van will be outside at two thirty. That's five minutes from now, drink up and and get moving."

"Who put you in charge?" Asked Helen, although she wasn't going to argue.

Anna ignored the comment and led them down to the street. Their transport pulled up almost immediately and they climbed in for their ride back to the country house.

"Well Gail, tell us about your day?"

"Interesting and need-to-know. Sorry."

The rest of the ride was in near silence.

 
Nutters
 

Gail headed to her room, taking the lift from the underground parking area direct to her floor. She was in no mood for Helen or Anna's bickering and was trying to get a hang on what she had seen and heard several hours earlier in Thames House.

She stripped and slipped into her bath, turning on the tiny jets. The aim, of course, was to relax her before any more hassle started. She'd been warned by Dave Brown about who did have the authority to be told what had been discussed, Helen and Anna were not on that list, but Emily Keane was. Even then, what she'd learned about the structure of MI5 was for her ears only.

There had been several briefings during that morning, starting with Dave Brown's assistant giving her an idea about what they were doing with her data and how she could improve what she was sending them, they called it 'the product' and said the quality of the product was key to a successful investigation. The officers from the Bundesnachrichtendienst (BND) joined them a little while later. By agreement the meeting was in English, although one of Dave's team was a German speaker - just in case.

The German security officers had been kept informed of the Fourani investigation from the very first day when Hamiz was found dead in Düsseldorf. Their investigations had been concluded as the murderer had been arrested in London. Of greater concern now was the flow of money, arms and drugs between the UK and Germany, plus the implied support of terrorist groups. The greatest threat in Europe was from Al-Qaeda affiliates, one of which had been sent money from Hamiz Fourani.

"We are considering our options."

They wouldn't be drawn on the exact nature of their investigation beyond the terse statement. Gail was more open with them. A set of the Fourani accounts had been loaded into a laptop and displayed on a screen. Gail spent some time explaining what she'd found but neglected to say she had built the files herself. Dave had warned her not to say anything that could give away her identity. Even so, one of the Germans did ask if she was free after lunch.

Once the Germans had left the building Gail and Dave sat down alone, one of the matters Dave Brown had wanted to discuss was when Gail could move to her own apartment. This conversation was held over coffee in one of the senior management lounges, well away from anyone else. Dave had been straightforward when he spoke to Gail, finish the Fourani accounts first because she couldn't take those files with her. This had confused Gail as she, or David, had created the files. The answer was simple, why would Abigail Adams have files created by David Jones that were the subject of a criminal investigation. Gail had no answer to this.

So, first finish the accounts, then arrangements would be put in place. There would be a transitional phase whereby Gail was seen in the local shops but was still staying at the house; this would test for any leakage, in security terms. How long before the move was now in Gail's hands, although she was warned not to rush.

Gail had also been told that she needed to continue her self defence training. This, she was told, was that a woman is two or three times more likely to be assaulted in a random attack, she needed to be able to defend herself. He'd also suggested she had a couple more sessions in the firing range, she was unsure why.

"Because it's there and you might not have access to those weapons again," she was told.

Gail laid in the warm water for twenty minutes but her skin was starting to resemble a prune so she reluctantly got out and manoeuvred herself into the shower cabinet. As the water danced off her chest she felt a tingling sensation from her nipples that was not entirely unpleasant.

By the time she was out of the bathroom it was nearly five o'clock so she blow dried her damp hair into shape then attended to her make-up. Now that she was completely refreshed she walked downstairs, it was now only 30 minutes before dinner so she walked to the library to undertake one task.

There was an email from Dave Brown:

 

To: Abigail Adams
From: Dave Brown
Subject: Today's meetings
 
Hi Gail
 
Thanks for coming to see us today, my team were really impressed with your knowledge of the Fourani accounts and how you've identified the anomalies. Plainly the BND are concerned about any apparent legitimate organisation that is really a front for a terrorist group and the Iranian Centre for Cultural Exchange might meet this criteria. I've heard this afternoon that they are planning to hit it very soon.
 
I hope you can manage the fortnightly meetings here, they'll be beneficial for both of us. My offer stands, by the way, if the freelance work doesn't succeed then you're welcome to join my team and work here, keep that in mind.
 
Regards
Dave

 

Gail smiled, she now had a place to go, if she needed it, and Dave Brown seemed very genuine. Her guide for the day, Andy, had been very charming but had stopped short of asking Gail for a date, never mind,

After logging off she made her way to the dining room and was pleasantly surprised to see Emily sat there. Helen and Anna seemed to be engaged in non-verbal warfare so Gail changed her usual seat to be closer to Emily. Tonight, for a change, there was a bottle of red wine on the table, Emily poured Gail a glass, her first alcohol for about a fortnight.

Emily proposed a toast, "a successful day." Their glasses clinked, the other two were not invited to join the toast.

"How's the new job going, Emily?"

"Busy but I'm really enjoying the challenge. I'll definitely apply for inspector next time there's a promotion board."

"If you don't get the promotion how long could you remain as acting inspector?"

"How long is a piece of string? Difficult to know, DI Reynolds could come back or another experienced Inspector might be moved to my unit or someone else promoted to take my place."

"How are the rest of the team taking it?"

"They're professionals so personal feelings don't come into it. Having said that, several of the female, and younger male, officers have lodged complaints against DI Reynolds so the investigation will widen to include this."

"It doesn't sound as if he'll be back."

"Maybe, but there is the chance, however small, that he'll be cleared. Now, we must have a chat about your day after dinner."

"Yes."

Dinner was served, interrupting any conversation, although Emily and Gail would not discuss national security issues at the table. They took a refill of wine into the library and settled into two of the comfortable armchairs.

"Gail, I understand that the BND are going after an Iranian centre in Düsseldorf that's a front for an Al-Qaeda affiliate. Your research has proved the Fouranis were supporting Al-Qaeda operations in Europe. This may explain why they were so keen to remove you from the scene, in case you could prove the paper trail."

"Quite, but why did the German hitmen take out both Fourani brothers? BND are having trouble with this."

"I suspect that Al-Qaeda wanted to expand in Germany and use that as a base for all of Europe, the remains of Baader-Meinhof were not prepared to accept that and wanted to cut off the Al-Qaeda funding."

"But Hamiz Fourani was paying the Germans as well, obtaining his weapons and ammunition through them."

"It's complex, but we believe Fourani was hedging his bets, whether the far right German groups tried to establish here or whether it was the Al-Qaeda lot. He built arms dumps that his own men could have access to and sold excess weapons to other criminals. A very dirty business."

"What's the risk against me now?"

"If the BND can take out the Iranian centre, that should prevent anyone paying for the contract - if there's no money then there's no job. Remember, everyone who's had a pop at you so far is either in custody or, in one case, dead."

"True, it's just whether there's another nutter out there."

Emily laughed, "London is a city full of nutters, especially those politicians in Westminster!"

Gail nearly spat her wine out. "Quite! I take it you're staying tonight?"

"Yes, otherwise I wouldn't be on the fermented grape juice, would I? I have a task here tomorrow before heading to my office."

"Okay, I'll see you in the morning. Good night."

"Good night, you did good today."

Gail tried to watch the TV evening news but was feeling sleepy. What was going on between Helen and Anna? It wouldn't be resolved tonight so no need for her to worry about it, before the morning that was. After a wash she changed into a clean nightie, noticing that the bedding had been changed whilst she was out. Under the fresh linen Gail was so comfortable that she fell asleep within a minute.

up
261 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

An inkling

Why do I feel like another shoe is about to drop?

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

Maybe

joannebarbarella's picture

Because our esteemed author is one of the queens of the cliffhanger!

I'm sure the shoe is halfway to the ground.

Tired of waiting

Well you finely did it! I just can't stand waiting anymore so I forked over some $ and now I can read both books without waiting! Nice! I hope book 3 comes out soon. :D

Nutters are fast breaders

Jamie Lee's picture

That local officer almost blew things at the station, but his training didn't include lie detecting. Thankfully.

Gail is in a world where what a person knows can get them dead quickly, if not sooner. So not knowing is as important as knowing.

It doesn't take long to realize nutters are numerous throughout the world, though they believe they are just in the way they act. Politicians more so.

Gail going freelance after her current job is still no guarantee some nut job won't have sights on her, paid by someone she helped put away. If/when Gail goes out on her own she'll need to keep her head on a swivel, and have a plan in place just in case.

Others have feelings too.