My Super-powered Diary: Chapter 39

Printer-friendly version
Merida.png
My Super-powered Diary
Chapter 39
Breakfast

By
Amethyst


When Maddock Ainsley gets involved in a rescue operation with his unit things go horribly wrong and his life is forever changed. Can the newly minted Merida cope with being a girl and a teenage super hero?
“Thanks cuz, you’re all heart. I’ll remember this when…” Whatever Jordyn had been about to say it wasn’t uttered as she stared at a spot just behind her cousin. “There’s… a nature spirit here, a damn powerful one.”

 


 
Author's Note: Here's chapter 39 of MSPD. I was a bit busy this weekend to finish it on time trying to finish, but at least it's still the weekend. I hope you all enjoy, and thank you for supporting my stories. ~Amethyst.
 


 
Chapter 39: Breakfast

Fawn and I were a few minutes late meeting the others for breakfast. We had stopped off back at our dorm room first to put away the clothes that she had borrowed from me and then my Fairy friend got a little case of the nerves. “I… I don’t know if I can do it Merida… let everyone see me like this,” she said uncertainly as she tightly gripped my hand in hers.

“Ya dinnae ‘ave tae if ya dinnae wan’ tae, Fawn.” I told her, squeezing her hand reassuringly, “bu’ these are our friends, an’ ya keep sayin’ tha’ Fairies are friends fer life. Nobody is goin’ tae hate ya jus’ ‘cause ya ‘ave a new ability. I think tha’ they’ll be ‘appy fer ya.”

“But… I haven’t even seen Rosetta since she arrived and she probably doesn’t know about the force field stuff or anything like that,” my Fairy friend said with another look toward the doors of the Grotto.

It was the first time that I had ever seen Fawn uncertain about anything. Usually she was so eager and impulsive and just flew into situations with the self-assurance that everything would turn out okay. She normally didn’t care about what others thought of her, as wildly free as the animals she cared for. “Oi, c’mon now, where’s the Fawn who decided tha’ she wanted tae fight three Tainted all by ‘erself? Ya kin dae this, an’ I’ll be right there by yuir side.”

Finally, I managed to convince her and we stepped inside, taking a quick look around for our family and friends. It didn’t take long to spot them. With it being a long-weekend, and school not starting until Tuesday, there weren’t many students at the school and they were almost the only students eating in the Grotto this early. The fact that our group took up two whole tables helped a lot too. It seemed that Fawn and I weren’t the only ones running late either, since Jordyn was nowhere to be seen.

We went to get our breakfasts and then approached the tables where the others waited and talked amongst themselves. Lindsey and Mei had apparently been talking about creating Lindsey’s familiar while everyone else watched the conversation intently as Lindsey said, “Yeah with a male Meidragon we could breed them later, Mer seemed pretty keen on the idea too, and maybe in a darker shade of pink… oooh magenta! Yeah magenta would be an awesome color for it. So what are you doing for your familiar Mei? I mean you’re going to be learning magic too right?”

“Yeah, I’m supposed to be learning some healing magic and stuff, and Jordyn has been showing me Medium stuff too, but it may be a while before I can really sense or talk to spirits like she can. Dr. Edwards would have liked if I could take the Medium classes, but I’ll have my hands full studying magic and stuff with her and she’s not too keen on people finding out I’m a Soul Dancer. Honestly, I’m pretty happy with having the Fairies around and that Merida got the dragon she always wanted. I don’t really need a permanent familiar either with my powers.”

Mornin’ e’eryone, sorry we’re a wee bi’ late bu’ we needed tae sort out some clothes an’ things wi’ the Taylors fer Fawn. It seems tha’ she outgrew hers,” I told everyone with a grin to get their attention.

Fawn took an involuntary step backward beside me as everyone turned and stared at her, even Hiro, Lindsey, and Michelle, who had known about her new ability. “Hi everyone,” she said a little self-consciously.

“Whoa, so I guess that your new ability really does work then,” Michelle said. “It’s kind of weird seeing you that big and without wings.”

“It’s just as weird for me,” Fawn admitted as we both sat down, me to Brooke’s right and Fawn on my other side. “Everything seems so small and I’m afraid that I’m going to break things. Merida thinks that it will make school easier for me though.”

Six fairies practically swarmed Fawn and my sisters were all still gaping. “How did…” Tink began to ask, but she couldn’t seem to finish the question. “You look like a human, Fawn.”

“Magic,” Hiro explained from the next table. “The spirit who helped us fight the Tainted used the magic of one of the nasty little things she was possessing to give Fawn a magic mark that lets her become human.”

“I wouldn’t say that she looks completely human, more like a LOTR elf with those ears, but yeah with the size and no wings I can see why she needed clothes for that form, shapeshifting can be a bitch sometimes,” Vanessa put in while looking at Fawn across the table.

“Aye, which was why we ‘ad tae see the Taylors, Melanie was able tae add sumthin’ tae the mark tae le’ her change her clothes tae, now the mark should le’ her change the size o’ anythin’ in physical contact wit’ her, or tha’s wot Melanie said anyway,” I provided. “We’ll need tae ge’ Fawn a few things afore classes start though, like a purse an’ a backpack an’ stuff.”

“Do you think Melanie could put a mark like that on the other Fairies? I mean if she was able to alter it, maybe she can reproduce it,” Tasha suggested as I placed Peaches on the table with a bowl of food in front of her, giving her an affectionate stroking.

“I dinnae think so,” I replied with a sad shake of my head, my fork halfway to my mouth so that I could start on my own meal. “She said it was an old an’ powerful magic an’ tha’ she prob’ly couldnae copy it if’n she spent her whole life tryin’. The best she could dae was tae add sumthin’ tae the mark so tha’ the enchantment works on anythin’ touchin’ her, like her clothes.”

“I wonder what it’s like being so big, it’s too bad that we aren’t clothes or we could see what it’s like too,” Silvermist said conversationally in a slightly dreamy tone.

Everyone at both tables stopped eating to stare at the water talent Fairy, but it was Vanessa who exclaimed, “Sil, you’re a genius!”

“I am?” she asked in wonder as she looked up at her best friend.

“Yup, you are Sil, and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise,” Brooke said with a grin. “Mer said that the spell would extend to anything touching her, not just to clothes, so maybe that could include other Fairies.”

“We could give it a try after breakfast,” Fawn offered. “It feels so strange seeing all of you so small, I feel so big and awkward.”

“Don’ you worry none, buttercup. You may look like a big ole human, but you’re still one of us, and our friend, no matter how you look. A flower doesn’t stop bein’ a flower just ‘cause it went from a bud to bloomin’ after all, it just becomes bigger an’ prettier,” Rosetta said with a smile on her tiny face. At least I figured that she had to be Rosetta since I had never seen her before. She was a bit on the small side, even for a Fairy, with shoulder-length red hair curled at the ends, peach-hued skin, and green eyes. She wore a dress that looked to be made of rose petals in three shades of pink, and red shoes and she spoke with a southern accent.

With that said, all of the Fairies swarm-hugged Fawn and we all got back to eating and trying to keep Brooke and Hiro from worrying about their upcoming appointments at the clinic. I was half finished my meal when Jordyn joined us. Her hair was gathered up in a hasty ponytail and she had bright pink paint stains on all four of her bare arms. “Sorry guys,” she said apologetically, “I was helping Aunt Rachel move the stuff back into my room at the house.”

“Well you did spend half the day painting before coming over to teach me the basics of Medium stuff yesterday,” Mei replied. “So is your room all finished now?”

“Uh yeah, it no longer looks like a storage room, now it looks like a teenage girl lives there, it’s kind of weird. I wanted to go with more gender neutral colors, but Aunt Rachel insisted that I needed to get used to being a girl and making others believe that I always have been,” she responded with a shrug.

“Yeah, she pulled the same thing with me when I jumped the gender fence,” Lindsey replied with a smirk. “At least I managed to convince her to go with Lilac for my room instead of Barbie pink.”

“It’s not Barbie pink it’s bubble gum,” the four armed girl protested. “Seriously though Linds, Aunt Rachel is even more eager to make me into a girly-girl than my mom was.”

“Well it didn’t exactly take with me, so maybe she’s hoping it will with you, better you than me cuz,” Lindsey said with a grin. “Mom loves the whole mother-daughter time, at least you being here and all newly female gives me a break from it sometimes.”

“Thanks cuz, you’re all heart. I’ll remember this when…” Whatever Jordyn had been about to say it wasn’t uttered as she stared at a spot just behind her cousin. “There’s… a nature spirit here, a damn powerful one.”

“Linds, meet Khestrid. She ‘elped us out a lo’ on our wee adventure in the woods an’ prob’ly saved Lindsey’s life. She said tha’ she’s a Valkyrie and she’s interested aboot formin’ a contract wit ya,” I said as casually as I could.

What followed was, for everyone but Jordyn, a rather one-sided conversation as she and Khestrid got to know one another and discussed the details of the contract. Apparently the contract would come with some physical changes in addition to Lindsey gaining Khestrid’s powers so that they were more alike physically. Jordyn was arguing against wings and wanted to see if she could go back to just having two arms, but Khestrid wasn’t willing to let her give up what would clearly be an advantage in combat. Finally, the two of them came to terms and Jordyn’s body tensed up as she began to change.

Her face and coloring didn’t change much, as she remained pale with bright pink hair, the only real difference there was that her milky white eyes became a bright gold color, a color that matched the large feathered wings that sprouted from her back. She grew about four inches in height too, just shy of six feet tall, and her whole body including all four of her arms, became more toned with tight muscles visible under her skin and a set of abs that I was a wee bit jealous of. It was hard not to see those abs, or the rest of her body, as the remains of her torn top and skirt hung precariously off of her, barely preserving her modesty. “Aww damn, now I’m gonna need new clothes again! Geeze Khestrid, did you really have to do this right in the middle of the grotto? You couldn’t have waited until I got to my dorm room?”

We had all finished breakfast by this time, Fawn eating nearly as much as I did, and we still had a half hour before Hiro’s appointment. “Okay, here’s wot we’re goin’ tae dae. Someone grab Jordyn some food she kin eat on the go, she’s prob’ly goin’ tae be ‘ungry after all o’ tha’ growin’. Me an’ Linds will take her tae the Taylors an’ ge’ them started on makin’ her some new clothes, or mebbe they kin alter the old ones.”

Brooke was staring at Jordyn in awe, and possibly something else, but she managed to shake it off and offered, “I’ll grab her some food and meet the rest of you there.”

“Merida, I can’t have you paying for my clothes again, I already owe you too much for the first time,” Jordyn complained.

“I dinnae recall sayin’ tha’ ya owed me anythin’ Jordyn, I did it ‘cause I’m yuir friend. ‘Sides, I think tha’ mebbe me an’ Linds can make an arrangement with them tae ge’ yuir clothes replaced wi’ no money changin’ hands,” I told her with a grin. Meghan had been a little jealous of her sister getting one of the promised eggs from Peaches’ future clutch, so now she could get one of her own. I was pretty sure that both Taylors would agree. I whispered to Lindsey, quickly explaining things.

“Oh!” Lindsey exclaimed, a grin nearly splitting her face in two. “That’s a good idea, and I don’t mind us parting with two eggs from the first clutch. The Taylors are awesome, and they deserve to have them regardless.”

What followed was another visit to the Taylors, where Jordyn quickly ate the food that Brooke had brought her, now safely away from any prying eyes. The few people besides us who had been in the grotto had been staring rather unabashedly at Jordyn following her change. The Taylors, especially Meghan, were only too happy to create a new wardrobe for Jordyn when Lindsey and I offered an egg for the younger of the siblings.

“Yeesh, and I thought that bras were tricky for you before, when you just had four arms,” Meghan said with a shake of her head as she took in Jordyn’s new wings. “Those are going to complicate things. I can probably come up with some specialized halter bras that should work for you though.” With that she got to the long process of creating a new wardrobe for Jordyn, including all of the necessities, such as school uniforms. Once they were started, Brook, Lindsey, and I all took our leave and joined the rest of our crew outside to head toward the medical center for Hiro’s and Brooke’s appointments.

While we were inside with the Taylors Fawn had done some experimenting to see if her mark could affect the other Fairies as well, if they were touching her, but they all ended up a bit disappointed since it only seemed to work on inanimate matter and not living organisms. It had worked just fine when she had borrowed Vanessa’s purse to test it, but it just wouldn’t work on anything that was alive it seemed. She was a bit disappointed that she couldn’t share this with her Fairy friends, but they were happy that at least she could experience it. We would have to talk to Mom about other ways of helping to make school easier for the other Fairies.

Fawn did change herself back to her normal size and form before we entered the clinic though. Our group was already big enough to take up significant space in the waiting room, so she didn’t want to push it. It was nearly time for Hiro’s appointment and his parents were already in the waiting room when we arrived. Kasumi quickly hugged Hiro and then surprised me by hugging me and then Lindsey and Michelle as well. “Alana old me what happened, I’m so glad that all of you made it out that situation safely.”

I was about to respond when Mom walked out of her examination room with someone that I didn’t recognize, a pale Caucasian woman in her mid-twenties with raven black hair and blood red eyes who was wearing a black and plum colored bodysuit and a huge smile. “Thank you so much Blair, I can’t thank you enough for giving me this freedom. I guess that I should go get some normal clothes now that I won’t have to wear this anymore.”

“Wait a minute, I did recognize her, or at least her voice and the bodysuit, I just wasn’t used to seeing her without the mask covering her entire head as well. It was Toxin. “Kendra?! I sputtered I surprise.

“Yup, it’s me Merida. Your mom able to fix it so I don’t need to wear this anymore. I can touch people again and live a normal life.” There were tears in her eyes as she hugged Mom and then me.

I was surprised at the hug and even more surprised not to be dead, since a mere touch from Toxin was usually instantly fatal. “Wot? How?”

“Nanites,” Mom quickly explained. “I’ve been experimentin’ with them and I was able to create some tha’ will eat up the toxins tha’ her body produces before they can be exuded by her skin an’ hair. They can be controlled through an implant in her brain tha’ will allow her to turn them off and on if she needs access to her toxins for some reason. Her blood is still one o’ the deadliest substances on Earth, but she can a’ least interact with people more normally now.”

“Speaking of interacting, I think I’m going to go see the Taylors and get some proper clothes made. Thanks again Blair, I owe you so much,” Kendra said before hugging Mom one last time. “I’ll see you on Tuesday after classes for your next appointment Merida.”

“Aye, I’ll see ya on Tuesday Kendra. Ya may ‘ave tae wait a wee bi’ fer the Taylors though,” I told her with a grin. “They’re busy makin’ some new clothes fer Jordyn right now. She made a spirit contract an’ wen’ through a few changes. Those Taylors are right though, we Ainsleys are good fer their business.”

We said our goodbyes to Kendra and then Mom said, “Well Hiro, it’s yuir turn now. If you an’ yuir parents could come join me in my office I can tell ya what I found on yuir tests and how I would like to proceed with your treatment.”

“Ummm… okay Dr. Ainsley,” Hiro replied, visibly swallowing and then looking toward his parents who were joining him and then to me, reaching out with his hand to take mine. I quickly took it and squeezed it reassuringly with my own as he asked, “Would it be okay if Merida came in as well?”

“As long as yuir parents and Merida are both okay with tha’, I don’t see why not,” Mom replied.

Kasumi looked toward her husband Paul and then they both nodded. “We don’t mind, if it makes Hiro feel better, they’re practically connected at the hip anyway it would seem.” She smiled as she looked toward our tightly clasped hands.

“It’s fine then, now let’s all head into m’ office,” Mom said, turning and motioning for us to follow her inside.

Copyright © 2019-2020 Amethyst Gibbs
up
174 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

a treatment for Toxin

that's really good news.

DogSig.png

Yup, good news

Amethyst's picture

It's nice to have Toxin find some happiness. Hopefully she'll have some good news for Hiro and Brooke as well.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Such a mild cliffhanger

Nyssa's picture

Are you going easy on us? After the slight break I was sure that you'd be creating more exquisite torture for us (aside from the difficulty some have with the accents).

Loved this one, Ame. But woe betide those tha' dae no' ken wa' I say now tha' ma (fake) accent has refreshed.

Heh

TheCropredyKid's picture

On a forum i frequented at one time {perhaps even one i still do - i can't recall} someone {whose name i likewise cannot recall} had a signature file that said {approximately}:

Everyone needs a hobby.
 
Yours appears to be torturing imaginary teenagers

 
 
 
x

Hobbies

Amethyst's picture

At least it's not real teenagers, so I'm totally restraining myself ;)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

I saved the big cliffhanger...

Amethyst's picture

for Apocalypse Dawn this week ;)

Yeah I had trouble getting the accent out of my head while writing other stuff this week too, it's infectious ;)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Nice to see a new chapter.......

D. Eden's picture

And it looks like the team has a few new members as well!

I can’t help but wonder how long it will be before they run into more trouble!

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

trouble

Amethyst's picture

It always happens when you least expect it.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Fawn's clan mark

Now that Fawn has a clan mark, she can welcome the other fairies in her clan. But (chapter 37) [Fae can share their clan mark once every fifty years with someone not born Fae].
They just need to wait a little...

Deen

Just a short wait

Amethyst's picture

Not long at all really, within a couple centuries they could all have a mark ;)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Physical contact more precious than gold

Jamie Lee's picture

Fawn being concerned what others would say shows how much she respects the opinions of the others, or she wouldn't have cared what they thought of her new form.

Merida was right when she told Fawn how the others would react.

None of the others realize what Toxin was going through not able to touch anyone less they get hurt. She was lonely, isolated, even when around others. Now that she can control her skin and hair being toxic, she may become the huggingest person around.

Others have feelings too.

Huggy Toxin

Amethyst's picture

Fawn doesn't judge others based on first appearances, respects the opinions and feelings of others and really doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Usually she's very impulsive, but I figured that here, here feelings for her friends would override that. Merida had the right of it though and the other Fairies are just happy for her.

Toxin hasn't been able to touch anyone flesh-to-flesh for nearly a decade and while she's tried to move on, make the best of things, and help others though her experiences that kind of isolation does take a toll on a person. She's definitely going to be a hugger now, though she'll still try to respect people's personal boundaries.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Glad for toxia

Glad she can now touch others being alone like that is hard