Easy As Falling Off a Bike pt 3279

Printer-friendly version
The Weekly Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 3279
by Angharad

Copyright© 2021 Angharad

  
023_0.JPG

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
####

Simon arrived during the late afternoon and almost as quickly as I could kiss him, Danni was asking if he could take her to London the next day.

"I've just come from there, what d'you need to go there for?"

"My trial with Chelsea - remember? You said you'd take me."

"Did I, sure it was me?" he said winking at me.

"You're the only father I've got, so it musta been you," she was practically crawling up his nose.

"Oh, wasn't yer mother then, or Gramps?"

"When do they ever go to London?"

"Your mother goes every few months to director's meetings"

"And to watch you play, young lady."

"That was ages ago, wannit, Meems?"

It looked as if Meems was trying to say something back, got a little upset and started crying - all without gaining consciousness. It was strange and heart-breaking.

"Hey, c'mon, Meems, don't get upset, get better, okay?" Danni gave her a smacker on the cheek and the younger girl smiled momentarily then seemed to lapse back into her 'sleep'.

"Daddy's here," I said rubbing her hand and she smiled.

"Hi, Meems, how's my favourite girlfriend?" Simon said as he leant across her supine body and kissed her on the cheek. She smiled back at him, her eyes remaining closed. "If you want a break, I'll sit with her," he said to me and Danni said she thought it was a good idea.

We wandered up to the cafeteria and bought more teas, I got a takeaway one for Si and Danni and I shared a pack of tuna and cucumber sandwiches. Where she puts it all, I had no idea, just burns it off, I suppose.

We were back about twenty minutes later but I felt a little fresher with the walk and the snack, Si was pleased with his tea after drinking it he suggested he took Danni home and brought back Trish to boost my batteries. I didn't disagree with him but sat down with Mima and tried pushing some more energy into her praying to the goddess that we could save her.

I became aware of it getting very much colder and that I was no longer alone but I avoided looking at our visitor.

"So you appeal to us and then ignore us, your manners have not improved, Catherine."

"I'm sorry, Milady, but my thoughts are disturbed with the worry for my child."

"Well, you should have let her die that day at the swimming pool, would have saved you all this worry, wouldn't it?"

"Then I would have missed out on several years of the company of one of the most delightful children I've ever met."

"It's not like she's actually yours, is it?"

"She is just like my own and she loves me as her mother. I would kill to save her."

"You already have, haven't you?"

I began to feel I may again in a few moments. I kept quiet in case my mouth betray my anger.

"Temper, temper, Cathy - besides you can't kill an immortal."

I nearly asked her how much would she bet on it, instead I said politely but coldly. "Milady, I asked you to help me save this child not to taunt me, if you wish to descend to that level, please do it when I am not trying to help a sick child as I found it unhelpful."

"You are certainly no shrinking violet, are you, Catherine? So what would you have me do?"

"Please, Milady, help me save this child who has done nothing to harm anyone."

"I suppose you want her speech impediment sorted too? I must be getting soft in my old age." She shook her head, "Wake up, child, pick up your bed and walk." She placed her hand on Meema's head and there was an intense golden light and moments later her eyes flickered open.

"Mummy, I knew you'd come and rescue me. It was horrible."

"Thank you, Milady." The vision nodded at me and disappeared.

"Oh, Meems, I'm so glad you feel better," I said as she leapt out of bed and hugged me just as Sam wandered in.

He nodded at the doorway, "Was that what I think it was?"

"She granted my wish, Sam, I'll not have anything said against her."

"I wouldn't dream of it, value my sanity too much."

"She's very beautiful, Sam."

"I'm sure she is, but doing house calls, you must be important, Cathy."

I chuckled at his silliness.

"She is a lovely lady, Dr Rose," said Mima.

"Your mother? she is indeed."

"No, Dr Rose, the golden lady, she helped Mummy heal me."

"Did she now, a sort of resurrection, was it?"

"What's a resurrection, Dr Rose?"

"Just a beautiful word, Jemima, just a beautiful word."

"They're not going to laugh at me again, are they, Mummy?"

"No sweetheart, they are not." Mind you I'd have had something to say if I caught them anyway.

"The golden lady fixed my mouth, didn't she?"

"I think so, Meems."

"Can we get her some flowers, Mummy, to say thank you?"

"That's a lovely idea, Meems, but I'm not sure where she lives."

"I know where to take them."

"Oh, okay then."

"Can we get them on the way home? Can I go home, Dr Rose?"

He looked at me and shrugged, "Provided you come straight back if you start to feel ill or have a headache."

"I will, Dr Rose, but I know I'm completely well again, the golden lady said so."

I found Mima's clothes and she dressed herself and I thanked the hospital staff. I also sent Si a text telling him we were coming home so not to bother coming in. He sent one back reminding me I didn't have a car and the alternative was a ride with Stella. I decided to ask him to collect us.

Mima insisted we bought flowers on the way home and after dinner, she made me walk with her to the cemetery where Billie's ashes and Tom's family were buried and we placed them in the vase and Meems thanked the Shekinah for her help and hoped she liked the flowers.

For a moment I thought I heard several voices, the first the goddess telling Mima she thought they were delightful and that her mother (viz me) never thought to show her appreciation as visibly. Billie also said they were lovely flowers and Meems was one of her favourite sisters, and was it Celia or my namesake who said, your speech is better, Jemima? Or did I just imagine it?

We walked home in good spirits, "The golden lady liked my flowers, Mummy."

"I know, sweetheart, she also likes you."

"Is that good, Mummy?"

"Good? it could be lifesaving."

None of the others could get over how Mima's speech had improved. In fact, they accused me, teasingly, of bringing home a different child. Thankfully, she took it all in good heart because she knew they didn't really mean it. Despite her 'resurrection' both she and I were in bed early and I heard Danni calling goodnight to the others as she and Simon were travelling up to town, to Chelsea FC training ground at Cobham and also that they were going in the F type, so I'm surprised Danni wasn't so excited she even bothered going to bed.

I was just getting the others up when Simon and Danni set off after a breakfast of toast and cereal and taking some biscuits and a banana with her. As they left I heard Simon teasing her, "And if you get crumbs all over my car you can bloody well clean them up when we get home - d'you hear me?" Then Trish had to dash out to them as Danielle had left her boots behind, yet again - she was so excited. I was feeling more a sense of dread because somehow we'd have to get her to training and to London for home games and to the collection point for away ones. But at least, Simon was well versed in contracts, so she'd get a good deal or he wouldn't sign it. If they wanted her, they could pay for the inconvenience we'd all have to put up with to enable her to play each week. That was going to cost quite a lot and trips to London were a big part of it, so he wanted to cover the entire cost of travel to training or games. Then he wanted her salary on top.

He told me if they claim she wasn't one of their stars yet, he'd point out that indeed she wasn't, she was a supernova and thus required suitable recompense for her time. She was also back in the England squad and that had to be worth something too.

I thought he was being a trifle optimistic but wished him well. Supernova eh? what does that make Trish or Sammi and the term super black hole, came to mind. I hurriedly thought of something else.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
184 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

wot

Maddy Bell's picture

have you dun Cafawin, you've fixed Meems an now i can't get my worms wite!

nice chapter Angerwad


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Excellent chapter -

I can't help thinking about all that toing and froing up to the smoke in that Jag.

bev_1.jpg

Lovely sweet Meems

is back,You did wonder though if that was going to be the case when Cathy had her chat with the Shekinah, Not many people would talk to a person of such absolute power over life and death in the way Cathy did .... Mind you this is Cathy we are talking about here and since when did she ever follow the norm.

Kirri

All’s well that ends well, sort of...

Robertlouis's picture

Thrilled for Mima, after so much trauma in her young life. I’ve lost track of how old she is now. I’m presuming you keep charts of all your characters, Angharad, because it would be impossible to keep up without one.

Lovely chapter to round off some trying times.

☠️

Meems

I am happy that Meems has lost her speech impediment. It will, I am certain, make school life easier. Her loving nature shone through in this episode.
Well done Angharad.
Love to all
Anne G.

Please Send The Goddess To Me

joannebarbarella's picture

To take about 65 years off of my current age and leave me as a young girl!

Cathy really needs to reassess

her views on religion. Given she has strong scientific evidence of its existence.

Methinks the lady doth bless us all ...

I just discovered the new stories last week. Having been so entirely disappointed that it looked like Cathy and her family would never return to grace us, these are a breath of fresh air and so very well received. Thank you!

I thought I saw a story where Tom had passed away? Luckily I can't find it now! Please keep up the goddesses work, Angharad. I pray to her that you do.

Ever yours,
Richelle

Remember John Alsop?

SammyC's picture

Angharad,

I wonder if you’ve ever thought of bringing back some characters from Cathy’s schoolboy days. Specifically, what if the boy who played MacBeth opposite her in the “the Scottish play” were to encounter present-day Cathy? That might unearth some back-story that could provide some current drama. Not that Cathy would ever leave Simon but...a girl can never have too many admirers. Can she? Well, just a thought I had re-reading parts of your great saga. Stay safe!

Sammy

Great relief

Podracer's picture

it is, that Meems has been reprieved and restored. Sometimes the innocent are lost, it is a joy to see that this one was not. Cathy might have used words, weapons and a mother's ferocity to defend and promote her children, but Simon's element is the coin. I am sure that he will wield it quite ruthlessly on Danni's behalf, as Cathy surmises.

"Reach for the sun."

in the last episode i thought this might happen to Meems

Julia Miller's picture

My mother suffered from intense migraines all her life. They traced it to a bad vertebra in her neck but felt it was too dangerous to operate on. Years later she got into a terrible auto accident and broke her neck. They had to do an operation on her, and found this particular vertebra in her neck had shattered. It took a very long operation to remove the pieces, take a piece of bone from her hip, and fashion it into a new vertebra in her neck. She had to wear a halo brace for the next 6 months but never has had a migraine again.