Wrong Place Right Time Chapter 31

Printer-friendly version

Wrong Place

Right Time

By Jamie Lee

Most often people talk about being in the right place at the right time. Maybe they achieved a beautiful photo of a sunrise, or the antics of children or animals. Maybe they found something someone lost and received a big reward when it was returned. But how often do they talk about being in the wrong place at the right time? If they do, it’s often about the death of someone or maybe witnessing a crime. And if this is the case, they are sad or horrified. Walter Williams often is in the wrong place at the right time, though his reaction to the incidents he encounters is much different than anyone would expect. And, life-changing.

Chapter 31

Doris Palmer had always been vocal in their first period science class, but Kathy had noticed over the past few days how quiet she’d become. When Kathy tried to speak with her before class, during class, or after class, Doris curtly told Kathy it wasn’t any of her business. It wasn’t until Kathy saw her sitting in the bleachers at the ball field as her class was playing softball, that Kathy finally found out why Doris looked upset and dejected.

When Connie finally told the girls it was time to head in to shower and get dressed to go home, Kathy told Connie she’d be in after speaking with Doris. She was about to object to Kathy being alone with Doris, when she spotted two figures watching from a distance. She also noticed that one of those figures was a rather huge man. She watched as Kathy made her way around the chain link fence, climbed the bleachers and sat down next to Doris. Kathy stared at Connie until she got the message and followed the rest of her class into the girls locker room. Connie stared at the two figures on her way in, but one just motioned that everything was okay.

Kathy sat quietly next to Doris, trying to figure out the best approach to get Doris to talk to her. Doris had been curt with her when Kathy tried to speak with her. Maybe she should be curt to Doris. Maybe a personal approach would get her to open up, and that’s what Kathy did as she told Doris, “I’m worried about you, Doris. I can see something is bothering you but you refuse to let me try and help you. I shared something very personal with you and a few other girls in the supply room, and believe me when I say, I was scared. I was afraid of what all of you would say, or do. Please, won’t you let me try and help you? I know some people who might also like to help if you’d let them.”

Neither girl noticed when Robert and Bobbie moved so they could watch the two girls better. Nor did the girls notice the two were now close enough to hear everything the girls were saying.

Kathy remained quiet and watched Doris’ face. She saw the anguish form on the girl’s face before her whole body started shaking. Kathy put her arm around Doris and pulled her into a hug, just as Doris burst out crying. “Oh gawd, Kathy. Help me, please,” she choked out before grabbing Kathy and starting to bawl.

Bobbie had to grab Robert’s left arm with both hands to hold him back. Then she whispered, “Wait, damn you! Wait!”

When Doirs’ bawling slowed to a whimper, then to a low moan, she was still clutching Kathy when she said, “It’s my brother, Kathy. He found my diary a few days ago and has threatened to show it to my parents if I...he comes into my room each night, Kathy. I’ve done some stupid things, Kathy, and I’m afraid what they’ll say if they see what I’ve written. I didn’t know what to do but to give in to him. He takes me when our parents go out to dinner or to a meeting, then comes in when I go to bed. I...I don’t know what to do Kathy. I’m so ashamed of myself. I can’t go on like this, Kathy.”

This time, Bobbie had to get in front of the big man and threaten to kick him in his jewels if he didn’t let Kathy try and help Doris. He gave Bobbie a dirty look, but he also covered his jewels in case Bobbie was sincere about her threat.

Kathy was back in the boys locker room, with Patrick holding her and Tony standing in front of her, his jeans and underwear around his ankles, and his erection evident. ‘Not this time,’ Kathy muttered, before asking Doris, “Doris. Do you trust me? I mean, really trust me? Trust me enough to come with me and tell this to someone who can put an end to your being raped by your brother? Because that’s what he’s doing to you, Doris. Pure, abusive, rape. What do you say, Doris?” Kathy couldn’t see Doris’ face because she planted herself into Kathy’s chest as she clung to Kathy. But she could feel Doris nod her head, and told the girl, “Come, on, let’s go.” Kathy helped Doris stand, then held her hand as they both climbed down the bleachers to the ground. Kathy put her arm around Doris as she led her back towards the school, and to Jenny’s office. Kathy turned her head to look at Robert and Bobbie and told them, “Thanks, guys. But you both need to learn how to whisper softer. We’re going to Jenny’s office. You might want to call Uncle Peter.” Doris had her head on Kathy’s shoulder as they started walking, but raised her head to look at Kathy when she heard the word ‘uncle.’ “Principal Stepel is your Uncle?” Doris asked Kathy. Kathy chuckled, nodded her head, then held up her pinky finger and said, “Pinky swear you didn’t hear that. Okay? Please?” From a tear stained face a beautiful smile grew, as Doris held up her hand, took Kathy’s pinky with her own, and said, “Pinky swear, girlfriend.”

Peter was standing outside of Jenny’s office as the two girls came walking toward him. He started to say something, but Kathy shook her head, telling him, ‘Not right now.’ Kathy opened the door to Jenny’s office, let Doris go in first, and feeling Peter right behind her, turned and put a hand in his chest, stopping him in his tracks. “Not yet, Uncle Peter. Don’t screw this up by being like my mom.” Robert and Bobbie had been following the girls, and it was Bobbie who put a hand on Peter’s shoulder and told him, “She’s right, Peter. Let Jenny get things going legally.” She then stepped around Peter and followed Kathy into Jenny’s office, closing, and locking, the door after her.

Robert watched as Peter paced back and forth in front of Jenny’s office door, before telling him, “Peter, wearing out the soles of your shoes won’t make what has to happen go any faster. Think maybe I need to give you my right to chill you out, or can you do that on your own?” Peter stopped mid-stride and looked at the big man. Robert had just suggested that he hit him with his right hand, to help him chill out. Peter looked at the man’s massive hand, then his forearm, then his upper arm, and thought better of having Robert help him calm down. He looked at Robert and told him, “Uh, no, thank you, Robert. Being put into the hospital right now isn’t going to do anyone any good, is it?” And Robert only smiled in response.

Robert’s ploy had worked, and the big man watched as Peter pulled out his cell phone and dial a number. “Detective Stevens, please. This is Principal Stepel at West High School. Thank you. I think we have another case for you, Detective. Insest. Brother. Forced. She’s in talking to our school psychologist right now. Kathy Williams and one of our female security people are with her. Seems her brother found her diary and threatened to show it to their parents. Seems the girl has written some things she did and the brother is using the threat to get his way with her every night and when the parents go out for the evening. Yeah, okay, I’ll have that information for you when you arrive.” Peter hung up then dialed another number, telling Margot to get Doris Palmer’s file out and make a copy of her personal information. Peter almost had to shout at her to get her ass in gear when she started asking questions. But a hand on his shoulder by Robert, calmed him down and he told her he’d explain later.

Peter had walked back to the school office to get the copies he was going to give to Barbara. As Barbara and Jo came through the front doors of the school, Peter was standing there waiting on them. “He’s a copy of Doris’ personal information. Her home address, her parent’s names, and their telephone number. And if you’ll come with me I’ll take you both to Jenny’s office.” The three were quiet as they walked to Jenny’s office. Peter knocked on the door and said, “Bobbie, open the door please.” There was a click before the door opened, and Peter told her, “Bobbie, this is Detective Stevens and Officer Dunnley.” Bobbie opened the door wider to allow Barbara and Jo into the office, then closed the door and locked it again.

Peter was again standing with Robert, waiting for whatever they were doing in Jenny’s office to conclude. Robert was facing the direction of the main corridor and when he saw the two people turn the corner coming their way, he told Peter, “Um, Peter. Incoming. And the rockets are at full throttle.” Peter never turned around, closed his eyes, grimaced, and asked, “It’s Terry, isn’t it Robert?” Robert chuckled and replied, “Oh you’re good, Peter. Yep, it’s Terry, and Marge, and she’s got fire in her eyes.”

Terry’s gatling gun questions started even before she reached Peter and Robert. “Where is Kathy, Peter? Is she hurt? Did someone get to her again? Is she in Jenny’s office? WHY THE HELL DIDN’T YOU CALL ME, LITTLE BROTHER?”

Peter watched as Robert flexed his massive right hand, the message very clear, stay calm. Peter turned to face Terry, smiled, and let her reach him before telling her, “Jenny’s office. No. No. Helping another girl. Because it’s none of your business, this time.” Because Peter didn’t parrot Terry’s questions, his responses threw her for a moment, until she realized three people were looking at her, waiting for her to calm down. Before Terry could start up again, Marge calmly asked, “Is Kathy alright, Peter? Mrs. O’Conner said she was talking with Doris Palmer when their class ended. Is that what’s going on, Peter, she’s in Jenny’s office with Doris?”

Peter was about to answer Marge’s questions, when Terry got right into his face and was about to give him what for, when Robert laid a hand on her left shoulder and gently squeezed. The pain Terry felt registered in her face, as her right hand came up to grip Robert’s right wrist. “Terry, maybe you should listen for a few minutes before you start talking again.” Robert then gently moved Terry a few steps away from Peter, then took his hand off her shoulder. As she was rubbing her left shoulder, Peter told her, “Terry, nothing has happened to Kathy. Not everything happens to Kathy. The Doris girl Marge mentioned has some problems at home, and Kathy brought her to Jenny so things could be straightened out. And Terry, this time, it’s none of your business.”

Still rubbing her left shoulder, and while looking at Robert, Terry asked, “So, why are the police here, Peter?” Peter sighed, shook his head, then said, “It’s none of your business, Terry. Any question you ask about anything connected with what’s occurring in Jenny’s office is none of your business. Do you understand me, Terry. None. Of. Your. Business.”

Terry’s head slowly turned from looking at Robert to focus on Peter. “Don’t you DARE ever tell me it’s none of my business when my daughter is involved.” And she moved again until she was within inches of Peter’s face. “How DARE you tell me it’s none of my business. Little brother…” but she never finished what she was about to say, because Robert grabbed her by the upper arm, spun her around and told her, “Let’s go wait up in the office. Shall we?” Robert’s comment was his usual way of giving an order, an order Terry was fighting against, as she tried to pry the massive fingers off her arm. And even though Terry fought not to go with Robert, Robert simply pulled Terry along like she weighed nothing. As Marge and Peter watched Robert pull Terry along with him, Marge said, “Oh, Peter, she’s going to have your guts for garters. You know that, right?” Peter chuckled at Marge’s use of the saying, then told her, “Yeah, Marge, I know. But I’m still not allowed to tell her anything, no matter how mad she gets. This time it really is none of her business.” Marge then told Peter she better go stay with Terry, and help calm her down. Peter agreed and watched until Marge turned the corner into the main corridor. Peter pulled out his cell phone, dialed a number, leaned against the wall, then said, “Hi sweetheart. I could sure use a friendly voice right now. I really want to be with you right now.”

As Peter was waiting for the meeting in Jenny’s office to conclude, he caught movement out of the corner of his eye. Turning, he saw Margo with a man and woman walking behind her, coming toward him. They stopped in front of Peter and Margot told him, “Peter, this is Mr. and Mrs. Palmer. Detective Stevens called them.” Peter knocked on Jenny’s office door and said, “Bobbie, the Palmers are here.” Bobbie unlocked the door before opening it to let the Palmers into the office, closing the door and locking it once more.

About thirty minutes later the door to Jenny’s office opened and Bobbie walked out, followed by Mr. Palmer, Doris, and Mrs. Palmer. Kathy followed behind Mrs. Palmer. To Peter, Mr. Palmer looked as though he wanted to punch his fist through a plate of steel. The expression on Mrs. Palmer’s face was a mixture of helping her husband with that steel plate and unhappiness. Doris, of course, looked upset, but also relieved. And Kathy looked as though she wanted to kick someone’s something. Peter noticed Bobbie had put her arm around Kathy, not so much to comfort her but to hold her back. The Palmers had been walking away, with Doris in the middle, their arms around her and her arms around each one of her parents. The Palmers stopped when Doris stopped, turned and ran back to Kathy, hugging her and telling her, “Thank you, girlfriend.” With a big smile on her face, Kathy replied, “You’re welcome, girlfriend. Any time.” Doris walked back to her parents and they continued on before turning the corner to the main corridor.

Last to leave Jenny’s office was Barbara and Jo, followed by Jenny. All three could see the questioning look on Peter’s face, so Barbara told him, “I can’t give you all of the details, Peter, but it’s a matter of forcible incest by the brother. We’re going over to the Palmers right now, and I’m afraid their son will be coming with us. What happens after that I haven’t a clue. It depends on several things that I’m not going to go into. As I said, Peter, ‘I’ can’t tell you any more,” and she looked at Jenny as she said it.” Peter looked at Jenny, who nodded towards her office, and Peter followed her back to her official office, after Jenny closed and locked the door.

Peter sat down on the couch, and Jenny sat in one of the facing chairs, before she told Peter, “Peter, I can’t tell you everything Doris told me, you understand. So I’ll give you the gist of her problem. Seems her brother found her diary, and because of some things she’d written in it, threatened to show it to their parents unless Doris gave herself to him at night. And any time their parents were out of the house. And, um…” Her voice trailed off for a moment before she said, “And when Kathy saw her, she was contemplating sucicide. She was too scared to go to her parents because of what she’d written in her diary, and too embarrassed to go to anyone here at school. If Kathy hadn’t taken it upon herself to get her to me, you would have read about Doris Palmer in the obituaries. Peter, this goes no further than between those in this room and you. All you can tell anyone, even Terry, who I heard quite clearly, is that Doris has some problems at home. We have to step back and let the police handle this one. And Doris will be meeting with me, and likely she’ll want Kathy with her.”

Peter nodded his head at the last part of what Jenny told him. Then he said, more to himself than Jenny, “Yeah, getting the message through to Terry might not be easy. She hasn’t taken ‘none of your business’ very well. Gads, poor Kathy. Terry is going to rip her a new one when Kathy tells her the same thing. Or tells her she can’t tell her. Maybe you should be with me when I face Terry, she seems to respect your opinion better than mine.” Jenny nodded her head, and together they got up out of their seats, left Jenny’s office and walked to the school offices.

After the Palmers had turned the corner into the main corridor, Bobbie had taken Kathy to the girls locker room so she could get dressed in her school clothes. Once Kathy was dressed, Bobbie walked with her towards the main corridor, where they met Jenny and Peter. Jenny and Peter could see by the expression on Kathy’s face, that they didn’t have to ask the question. So Peter just asked, “You ready?” Kathy chuckled, then replied, “About as much as I was ready for the hospital after the accident. But it’s got to be done.” Bobbie and Kathy followed Jenny and Peter as the four walked the rest of the way to the school offices. Once inside, it wasn’t difficult to know where Robert had taken Terry because she was yelling her head off. The four followed the shouting and found Robert had taken Terry to one of the smaller conference rooms. Bobbie stepped in front of Jenny and Peter, opened the conference door and walked into the room before the other three. She wasn’t shy when she told Terry, “TERRY! EVERYONE OUT HERE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREAMING. SO SHUT YOUR MOUTH RIGHT THIS MINUTE!” The shock of how Bobbie spoke to Terry had the desired effect, Terry stopped shouting.

Just after Terry stopped shouting, Jenny, Peter, and Kathy walked into the room, Kathy closed the door after her. Robert had again grabbed Terry’s arm and forced her to sit in a chair, and Bobbie was staring daggers at her to keep her quiet.

Jenny spoke first by asking, “You haven’t been taking that medication I prescribed, have you?” When Terry sheepishly shook her head, Jenny said, “I thought so. It shows. You’re going to hate me for this, but I don’t care. Peter is going to take the girls home, and you’re coming with me to the hospital to spend a few nights in the psych ward. We’re going to find out why you’re so wound up, and refusing to take the medication I prescribed.” Jenny held up her hand to stop Terry from speaking. “This is not negotiable, Terry, you’re going. Even if I have to have Robert carry you to my car, hold you down and carry you into the hospital. You’re going!”

Marge spoke up just then, and told Terry, “Terry. I tried to tell you what was going to happen if you didn’t calm down. Because that’s what you’d already been told. Don’t blame Jenny, Peter, Kathy, Robert, Bobbie, or me. This is all on you.” Terry tried to give Marge a nasty look, but Marge didn’t flinch under Terry’s stare. She simply told Terry, “That’s not going to work this time, Terry. You know I’m right in what I said.”

Peter took his turn by saying, “Terry. I told you before but I’ll tell you again, this particular situation is none of your business. It’s a matter for the Palmers to work out. Kathy’s only involvement was to save the life of Doris, because the girl was thinking of taking her own life to put an end to her problem at home. I also told you not everything happens to Kathy, other people have problems that Kathy is sometimes in the right place to offer help. And I hate to say this...no I don’t hate to say it, Jenny is right. You need some time by yourself talking to someone in order to find out why you keep being so wound up. And the hospital is the perfect place to go. And if you try to fight this, I’ll find a judge who knows you and ask to have you committed. And believe me, sister dear, you’ve made yourself known because of what happened to Walter. And I’ll have no trouble finding someone to sign the papers.”

After Jenny, Marge, and Peter spoke, everyone could see the fire in Terry’s eyes, and the angry look on her face. She started to get up from her chair, but Robert put his hand on her shoulder, gently squeezed and pushed her back down into the chair. He then bent over and told her, “Stay seated, Terry. And listen. You’ve said enough for today.” He kept his hand on her shoulder.

Kathy walked around the table to her mom, put her arm around Terry and told her, “Mom, I know you would have hounded me for answers but I couldn’t have told you more than what you’ve already been told. It wasn’t for me to tell, plus, anything said in Jenny’s office is privileged. And you would have gotten angry with me because I wouldn’t tell you anything. And knowing you, as I do, you probably would have grounded me for no reason other than I wouldn’t answer your questions. Mom, I dearly love you, but you need to get yourself under control. Even daddy can see that.” Terry pulled Kathy into a hug and cried into her chest. Robert took his hand off Terry’s shoulder, then motioned to Bobbie for them to wait outside the room.

**--~~--**

The ride in the Palmer car from the school to their house was deathly silent. Doris sat in the front seat between her mom and dad. Both parents had an arm around her, though her dad often had to use both hands on the steering wheel. When they reached their house, Dale reached up and pressed a button on the remote for the garage door, waiting until the door was fully open before driving into the garage. He hit the same button again, causing the garage door to close, before getting out of the car. He waited for his wife and Doris, taking their hands in his as the three walked into the house.

Tad Palmer, Doris’ brother, was in the living room watching TV, and was so engrossed in the program that he didn’t hear the garage door open or close. His attention was averted when his father walked over to the TV and shut it off, standing in front of it with a look Tad had seen a few times over the years. Tad realized something was up when his mom walked to the front door, opened it, and let two women into the house, one a uniformed police woman. He then looked over to Doris, who was standing out of his reach, but was also staring at him with a look of triumph written on her face. Tad swallowed hard.

“Hi everyone, so what’s up,” Tad said, trying to sound matter-of-factly. No one said a thing, they just kept staring at him. In a voice Tad had never heard Dale use, Dale told his son, “Doris had told us everything, Tad. It won’t do you any good to try and pretend nothing is wrong. This woman there is Detective Stevens, the other woman is Officer Dunnley. They heard everything, Tad.”

Tad had pulled the same innocent game on his parents several times before, and got himself out of trouble. Because the police were in the house, he felt it was his best chance of getting out of it this time too. “Doris told you everything about what, dad? You know she’s always making up stories about this or that, so you can’t always believe what she says.”

It was Joyce who told her son, “That innocent ploy isn’t going to work this time, Tad. You’re in it up to your neck this time.” Tad tried to look exasperated as he said, “Mom, I don’t have the slightest clue what you and dad are talking about. Maybe if you told me what this is all about and why two police women are here, it might help.”

There was a coldness in Doris’ voice that sent a chill up Tad’s spine. “It’s no good, Tad, they know about my diary, and how you found it and had threatened to show it to mom and dad if I didn’t let you screw me every night and when mom and dad were out of the house.”

Tad put on his best ‘I’m innocent’ look and said, “Doris, I don’t know what’s gotten into you, but I haven’t been in your room for ever. I think you must have been dreaming or writing one of your stories.” Tad didn’t like the smile that formed on Doris’ face, as he watched her walk out of the living room towards the bedrooms. She returned a moment later with a plastic bag, held it up and asked her brother, “So, brother dear, if these officers took what’s in this bag to their lab, they won’t find your sperm and my fluids on them? And my blood as you forced yourself into me?”

Still trying to wiggle his way out of this mess, Tad said, “I don’t know where you got those, Doris, but they aren’t mine. I think you’re trying to get back at me for that prank I pulled on you last year.” Doris handed the plastic bag to Detective Stevens.

Dale spoke again as he told Tad, “Tad, take your mother and Officer Dunnley to your bedroom and give Officer Dunnley the diary you took from Doris’ bedroom.”

But Tad wasn’t finished trying to play the innocent one at this moment. “But dad, I don’t have Doris’ diary. I never took it, or anything, from Doris’ bedroom. I don’t understand why she’s accusing me.”

Dale got a real ugly look on his face, as he slowly walked towards his son. He bent down until he was inches away from Tad’s face, and said, “Tad, either you go with your mother and Officer Dunnley, or Officer Dunnley will go with me and I’ll tear your bedroom apart and find that diary. And gawd knows whatever else you’re hiding in there.”

Tad pulled all the stops out now, as many stops as he’d acquired. “Dad, I’m telling you, I don’t have Doris’ diary. And I’m not hiding anything in my bedroom.”

Dale straightened, nodded his head, then said to Jo, “Officer Dunnley, would you please come with me to Tad’s bedroom.” Dale started walking out of the living room with Jo behind him. Tad stood up and yelled, “YOU CAN’T GO INTO MY BEDROOM, IT’S PRIVATE.” Dale stopped, turned to face Tad and told him, “The only private bedroom in this house is your mother’s and mine. The other bedrooms are open for inspection any time we like. Now sit down and keep your mouth shut.” Dale again turned and started walking down the hallway to the bedrooms.

Tad took one step to follow his father and the Officer, when his shirt collar was grabbed from behind and he found himself again sitting on the couch. Joyce bent down and snarled, “Your father told you to sit down and keep your mouth shut.”

About fifteen minutes later, Dale and Officer Dunnley came back into the living room, Dale carrying the diary and Jo carrying a duffle bag. “Well, look here, Joyce, look what we found in Tad’s bedroom. And look what else we found in this duffle bag.” Jo sat the bag on the floor, unzipped it and pulled the sides down, revealing bag after bag of various colored pills. And a lot of money lying at the bottom of the bag.

Barbara had constantly watched Tad throughout this whole time, and was amazed that he was able to keep his cool. Even when confronted with the lie he’d been telling. “Where’d you find the diary, Mr. Palmer? And the duffle bag?” Jo had taken everything out of the duffle bag and laid the contents separately across the floor. In all, there were thirty bags of pills and twenty-five hundred dollars in mostly twenties and tens. Jo had picked up one of the bags and examined its contents. Then she said, “Barbara, there’s a little of everything in this one bag. And it looks like the same in the others.”

After Jo had finished speaking, Dale said, “The diary was under the mattress and the duffle bag was hidden in the back of the closet. We found some other things under that bag, which we left along, but it might be best if you see them for yourself.” Dale took Barbara back to Tad’s bedroom, and when she came back she told Jo to repack the duffle bag, told Tad to stand up, he was under arrest, and then told everyone to get out of the house. It wasn’t long before scierns could be heard and the bomb squad arrived at the Palmer house. Two people got out of the truck, put on protective gear, took a heavy looking container off the truck and carried it into the house. Another police car arrived, a K9 unit, and when the two in protective gear came out of the house, declaring it safe, the Officer with the dog went into the house. She came out a few minutes later saying, “There’s no more explosives, but you better come and see this, Detective.”

The Officer with the dog led Barbara into the house and back to Tad’s bedroom. The Officer had her dog ‘sit’ and ‘stay’ as she showed Barbara what Rexy had found hidden in the clothes closet. Behind a concealed panel Barbara saw what must be one hundred of the same bags they found in the duffle bag. And at the bottom was even more money. Barbara pulled out her phone, dialed another number, and within minutes, two more police cars arrived. The Officers came into the house, Barbara directed them to the closet, and let them carry out their jobs. These four Officers were from the drug unit.

Barbara went back outside, walked up to Tad, being held by the arm by Jo, and told him, “Tad, you are under arrest for rape of a minor, possession of illegal substances for intent to sell, and possession of explosives.” She then went on to read him his Miranda rights, making sure everything was done by the book. She had a feeling what they found in Tad’s room would clear several cases the drug unit had been working on. And a couple the ATF had in their possession.

It wasn’t long before the Officers with the drug unit came out of the house, carrying a large plastic bag with the bags of pills they were shown in the closet. They were also carrying a plastic bag which contained all of the money also found with the bags of pills. When it was all finally counted, it’d total just shy of fifty thousand dollars in tens and twenties.

The K9 Officer was again asked to have Rexy make one more sweep of the house. The Officer came out a few minutes later and told Barbara the house was clear. Jo then opened the back door of their car and placed Tad inside the car, pulling the seat belt across him and latching it before closing the back door. Barbara went back into the house with the Palmers, while Jo stayed at their car, and Barbara went over the procedures for booking Tad and his need to make a first appearance in Court for a bail hearing. Dale looked at Joyce, who shook her head, before Dale told Barbara, “He won’t be bailed out, Detective. He’s too much of a flight risk. He’ll stay in jail until his Court date. We’ll get him a lawyer, but it’s time he receives what he’s due. I know you think we’re being too harsh, but this crap has been going on for far too long.”

Barbara chuckled, then told Dale and Joyce, “Mr. and Mrs. Palmer, with what we found in his bedroom I seriously doubt if he’ll be granted bail. The Courts are cracking down on those found with explosives in their possession. And those five pipe bombs are going to cost him a lot of years in prison.” Barbara said goodbye to the Palmers and left the house. Dale got on the phone and called their lawyer, who recommended a good criminal lawyer, one who was fair but knew when it was best for their client to take a plea instead of going to trial. Dale hung up then dialed the number their lawyer had given him. When the call was answered, he told who he was, who recommended that firm, and asked to speak with the lawyer recommended to him. After explaining the circumstances to that lawyer, that lawyer told Dale with everything the police found, the best chance Dale’s son had was to plead guilty and hope he got out of prison in just a few years. Because if they went to trial, Dale’s son could be old and gray by the time he was released from prison. Dale gave that lawyer all the information Barbara gave him, then said he’d bring the retainer by in the morning.

After Dale finished the phone call, he, Joyce, and Doris collapsed onto the couch in stunned silence. None of them could believe what Tad had been doing or how bad it had gotten. It was Doris who verbalized what Dale and Joyse were thinking, by saying, “Gads, what a fucking mess.” For once, Doris got away with cussing in front of her parents. “Yeah,” Joyce replied, “what a big fucking mess.” Despite the severity of the situation, Doris looked at her dad, who looked at her, then the two looked at Joyce, and burst out laughing. This had been the first time anyone had heard Joyce cuss. She was always the one correcting anyone’s language, and here she’d drop the ‘F’ bomb in front of her daughter and husband. She turned to face Doris and Dale, who were both still laughing, and asked, “What’s so damn funny?” This only caused the two to laugh harder, until tears rolled down their cheeks. And kept rolling as their laughter turned into crying, with Joyce joining them.

The lawyer that had been recommended to Dale spoke with Tad, and laid out the possible sentences the boy was facing if he pled guilty or went to trial. Tad was still trying to pull off his innocent act, until the lawyer told him to cut out the bullshit, the police found his fingerprints on everything they found. And he was going to prison, how long was the question. When the DA came into the mix, Tad was given a choice. Ten years for the pipe bombs and five years for the drugs. Or face a jury trial and face a possible twenty years for the pipe bombs and ten years for the drugs. Tad wisely chose the former, even though there was no chance of parole. He’d be in his early thirties when he was released.

tbc
Chapter 32

up
182 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good gods!!!!

Samantha Heart's picture

Terry brought this on her self THIS time, now to figure out why the springs are wound so tight & how to gently unwind them without getting too drastic!

As for Tad Palmer he's going to see Leavenworth or Marion first hand. (Both med security federal prisons) and probably won't make it to the state prison for when the fed inmates learn of the rape of his sister.... he's good as dead.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

The reason is coming

Jamie Lee's picture

She sure did, Samantha. But this time it was the last straw, especially since she wasn't taking the meds Jenny prescribed.

Oh you bet, Tad is a goner. And as the DA said, it only depends for how long. Tad did show a bit of smarts though in what he chose. To bad he wasn't smart sooner.

Others have feelings too.

WOW!

Wow Jamie, this was a shocker! didn't see this coming. Hope you had an enjoyable trip/visit.

Hi Darlyne

Jamie Lee's picture

Yep, trip was enjoyable.

Yeah, Terry finally went to far over something that wasn't her business, even though Kathy was involved.

And why is coming up.

Others have feelings too.

Those poor Palmers

It can't be easy to watch your child get arrested, no matter how guilty he is.

Tad would have been better off if he had just given them the damn diary. He would have still gone to jail, but maybe the drugs and pipe bombs would have remained hidden.

Everyone else is better with that obvious narcissist in jail.

Thanks for the comment Ray

Jamie Lee's picture

The Palmers didn't show their hurt until after Barbara and Jo took Tad away.

If Tad had given the diary back it would have validated what Doris had told Jenny and her parents. He didn't want to be found out for raping his sister, but never felt anything else would be found.

His parents knew he's pulled other things but couldn't find any proof. Well, they have proof now, even though he continued denying everything.

You've brought up side stories for this story. The Palmer's side story come just as though it belonged in the story. Unlike Gerald's actions, or grandma's action, who revealed in the open why those kids were messed up, there was nothing to show what Tad was really doing except Doris' word. Even writing what Jo found in Tad's bedroom closet was a surprise to me. But it work well with the overall tone of the story.

Others have feelings too.

True dorothy

Jamie Lee's picture

It's true the rape wasn't part of the plea deal, even though Doris had kept evidence. While Tad raping his sister by blackmailing her was terrible, my sprite thought the DA felt the drugs and pipe bombs were easier to prove beyond a reasonable doubt if he went to trial. And if it was discovered in prison Tad had been raping his sister, justice might be served any way.

Others have feelings too.

Add:

Extortion or blackmail, possibly both. And with the quantity of drugs found, they could possibly apply RICO. He couldn't acquire such a large amount of drugs without being a midlevel dealer. The amount of money found surely exceeds his allowance.

The bombs are an ATF - federal charge. The local DA can't make deals on that, that would be up to the federal prosecuter, who could look at what's involved and take everything to the federal level, RICO, drugs, and bombs. Maybe even the DEA considering the quantity of drugs involved. The feds are well-known for taking over juicy local cases. And there is no parole at the federal level. Tad could easily die in prison.

Just saying.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

After what he did to his

After what he did to his sister on top of everything else I think I would have left him to the public defender.

Hi Guest Reader

Jamie Lee's picture

The Palmers did let the lawyer they hired handle things. But that didn't mean they were happy about the whole thing. They were upset because of how Tad turned out and his antics. They were upset because Doris was scared to come to them about Tad.

Whether they maintain contact with Tad while he was in prison wasn't something need for the story.

Others have feelings too.

They are invisible to us

But Kathy has to have an extremely bright halo and a beautiful pair of lovely white wings. She certainly has the knack of being in the right place at the right time knowing the right thing to do. No wrong place for Kathy. She is a pearl of great price.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Nicely said Karen

Jamie Lee's picture

Walter has always been there to help others, only this time the stakes are higher. Lives are really at stake this time.

Your take on the title of the story is one I never considered, but can agree with your version.

Others have feelings too.