Wrong Place Right Time Chapter 33

Printer-friendly version

Wrong Place

Right Time

By Jamie Lee

Most often people talk about being in the right place at the right time. Maybe they achieved a beautiful photo of a sunrise, or the antics of children or animals. Maybe they found something someone lost and received a big reward when it was returned. But how often do they talk about being in the wrong place at the right time? If they do, it’s often about the death of someone or maybe witnessing a crime. And if this is the case, they are sad or horrified. Walter Williams often is in the wrong place at the right time, though his reaction to the incidents he encounters is much different than anyone would expect. And, life-changing.

Chapter 33

Terry didn’t know Jenny had already told Beverly the Stepel story, including what almost happened to Peter. “Terry,” Beverly said, “I need to hear all of the story. It won’t do you any good to shy away from something that happened. It’s probably why you’ve been having those nightmares. And why you keep getting so wound up when Kathy is involved in some situation. As you’ve been told, it’s up to you how long we keep you here. If we feel you’re holding back, aren’t being completely honest with us, you’ll be here until you start being completely honest with us. And while you’re in therapy, visitors will be limited.” Beverly was hoping Terry didn’t know that was a lie, that visitors could come and see her. She was hoping that by using this ploy, Terry would decide she wanted to see her family sooner rather than later.

Terry surprised both women by saying, “Um...I have to pee.” She quickly got up off the bed and almost ran to the bathroom. Both women chuckled as they heard Terry say, “Ahhh...that’s better.” When Terry returned from the bathroom, she again sat on the bed, pulled her legs up to her chest, wrapped her arms around her shins, then laid her head over her knees. Jenny and Beverly could see Terry had a glazed look to her eyes, as though she was seeing but not looking at anything in particular. They waited, but Terry remained silent. Beverly looked at Jenny, who nodded her head, then said, “Terry. Jenny told you about the length of time you’d stay with us if you weren’t open and honest with us. I reminded you and now I’m reminding you again. Your stay here is dependent upon your honesty and openness with us. Jenny and I can return to your room day after day until you tell us what happened to Peter and why you glossed over it in your story. The longer you’re here, the less time you’ll have with your family. The longer you’re here, the less you’ll be available if Kathy gets involved in another situation or event.” Beverly hoped the last words she spoke would provoke Terry into talking with them, but again Terry remained silent.

Beverly again looked at Jenny, who nodded her head, and both women got up out of their chairs, moved them back to the table in the room, and started walking to the door. They were about two feet from the door when Terry said, “Peter tried to hang himself two days after our parents were killed. And I wasn’t there to stop him.” Both women stopped where they were, turned to face Terry, and waited. They had to make it plain to Terry they would not allow her to get off hiding anything about her life from them, so they stood and waited. It only took a few moments before Terry opened up and told the two what she’d glossed over in her original story.

Terry took a deep breath, sighed, then looking at Jenny and Beverly said, “I was in the kitchen fixing lunch for us, grandma had gone shopping. As I was fixing lunch, I heard a cry, a crash, and a thud, coming from the garage. I thought Peter was looking for something, or moving something, and had dropped it or hurt himself in some way. When I opened the door to the garage, the first thing I saw was a rope hanging from a rafter, its end frayed. Then I saw a chair lying on its side. I couldn’t see around grandma’s other car, so I walked around the front end and found Peter lying on the garage floor, a rope looped around his neck, and the end frayed. I rushed over to him, took the rope off his neck, checked his breathing and pulse, then went back into the house and called 911. I told them what happened, and that Peter was breathing and had a pulse but was unconscious. It seemed like hours to me before the paramedics arrived and started checking Peter before putting a neck collar on him, then putting him on a backboard and then onto a gurney. Grandma came home just as they were putting Peter into the ambulance.”

“I thought for sure she was going to deck the police officer who was questioning me, when he told grandma to stay back and let him do his job.” Terry chuckled, then continued with, “She got right into his face and told him she was Peter’s grandmother, and if he didn’t get out of her way she was going to get him out of her way. That officer started getting angry with grandma until his partner, a woman who knew grandma, called him over to her. All I heard him say to his partner was, ‘no shit,’ before he apologized to grandma and allowed her to question me. I told her what I’d been doing, the noises I heard from the garage, and how I found Peter. She growled that I should have kept a better eye on him, given his state, but softened it with an apology and she was just taking her worry about Peter out on me. I told her I understood, because I was blaming myself for it even happening, but she corrected me and told me it wasn’t my fault for what Peter tried to do. Neither she or I had seen something like this possibly happening. She told me to make sure everything was shut off in the kitchen, and to throw what belonged in the fridge into the fridge, and we then headed to her car. That same police officer wanted to ask me, and her, more questions, but grandma got into his face, again, and told him to get the hell out of her way because she was going to the hospital. I really thought grandma was going to put that officer down, and she would have, she had more than enough skills to do it, but again the partner stepped in and told grandma to follow them to the hospital.” Terry chuckled yet again, and said, “At one point we were doing fifty in a thiry mile an hour zone. Anyway, we got to the hospital, grandma parked the car and we both ran into the ER, grandma going right up to the reception desk and asking about Peter.”

Terry reached over to the night table and pulled a tissue out of the box, blew her nose, held the tissue in her hand, then continued. “Grandma was someone you didn’t want angry at you, she knew things she never talked about or showed us. Where she learned it all, no one ever knew. Peter and I stayed with her for a few days during one summer, and while we were at the mall with her, we watched as she put this big guy, who’d been bothering me, down on the ground without so much as a ‘by your leave.’ That guy was about a foot and a half taller than grandma and a hundred plus pounds heavier than her, but he went to the ground in the blink of an eye.”

Terry hadn’t noticed Jenny and Beverly got their chairs and placed them where they’d been, before sitting down to listen to Terry tell her story. They remained silent as Terry kept talking.

“Peter and I learned how to gauge granda’s moods by her voice, and the voice she was using with the person at the reception desk was her ‘I’m patiently angry’ voice. That voice was two levels before her DI voice, one you never wanted to hear. And if she used her ‘patiently sweet angry’ voice, it was time to be someplace else; the guy I told you about at the mall heard that voice before he got personal with the floor of the mall. The woman police officer who escorted us to the hospital, and knew grandma, finally came over and explained the situation to the person behind the reception desk, and gave him a discreet warning, before he finally phoned someone. A nurse immediately arrived, explained things to grandma, and had to threaten grandma with a sedative if she didn’t calm down. She then placed her hands on grandma’s shoulders, looked grandma directly in the eyes, and told her she’d had something similar happen in her own family, and understood how concerned grandma was at that moment. She also told grandma the doctors would send Peter to imaging to get pictures of his head when they’d finished their cursory exams; he had nasty bump on the side of his head. She then suggested we go to the cafeteria and get something to eat or drink, that she’d come to get her when the doctors knew more. She then did something which kind of shocked grandma, as she reached up and wiped tears off grandma’s face. The two hugged for a few moments, then grandma cleared her throat, and told me we were going to the cafeteria.”

“Someone must have called the cafeteria because we were treated like royalty when we entered the cafeteria. Someone took us to a table, asked if we’d like anything, brought back what we asked for, and kept an eye on us the entire two hours before the same nurse came and got us. She took us into a small room, where a doctor sat looking over some pages in front of her. She told us Peter did have a concussion because of his head hitting the garage floor, his hyoid bone wasn’t broken, which was good, and until Peter regained consciousness they couldn’t tell how much damage was done to his vocal cords. She also told grandma something she simply hated, that Peter would be kept in the psych ward, under suicide watch, until the resident psychologist felt Peter was no longer a danger to himself. Grandma asked if she could see Peter, and the doctor said we could, and took us to him. She took us up to the psych ward, past a locked door to Peter’s room. He was still unconscious, IV’s in his arms, and a rope mark around his neck. Grandma sat down beside him and started talking to him, telling him she and I were there for him, and to come back to us. We needed him. She told him we had to go but the doctors would keep us informed of how he was doing. The entire time I knew grandma, I’d known her to cry only twice, that time sitting besides Peter was the second time.” Terry put her head in her hands and cried. She didn’t notice the extra weight that was added to the bed, but felt the two pairs of arms that held her as she cried. With her nose and eyes running, Terry said in a choked up voice, “And I wasn’t there to stop him,” before her emotions took hold again and she continued crying.

When Terry’s crying eased, Jenny asked, “Did Peter give you or your grandmother any hint he was thinking of killing himself?” Terry just shook her head. “Did he say or do anything, like arrange his things, or give you something, which would have made you feel he was acting out of character?” Terry again shook her head. “There was nothing you could have done to prevent Peter from attempting suicide because he never gave you any clues that’s what he was thinking. Your grandmother was right, it wasn’t your fault. It wasn’t her fault either. Peter would have attempted suicide whether at her house of someplace else. You’ve got to realize this, Terry. You and Peter were upset over the death of your parents two days before. You felt a sense of loss. You both may have been depressed, maybe Peter more than you, because you saw it was necessary for you to become Peter’s parent, his big sister, his protector, like your parents were to both of you. So you pushed your feelings down in order to take care of your younger brother. And you’ve continued to do that all of your life. And, you passed that same thing to Walter, who is now your daughter Kathy. You both have repressed feelings that have finally reached their limits in your minds, and are now manifesting as outbursts which have caused both of you problems. In your case, Terry, outright aggression when Kathy is involved in a situation. You couldn’t be there for Peter on that day, so you’re trying to be there for Kathy. You’re trying to make up for not being there for Peter.”

Jenny’s last statement caused Terry to lift her head and look at Jenny. “You really think that’s what I’m doing every time I go charging in like a bull? Making up for not being there to stop Peter?” Terry’s questions caused Jenny to nod her head. Beverly joined in by telling Terry, “We both think that’s the primary reason you get so wound up every time Kathy is involved in any situation, good or bad. That and repressing your feelings.”

Both women watched as Terry got a strange look on her face, before looking at Beverly then Jenny. Terry stared at Jenny long and hard then asked, “Peter told you everything, didn’t he?” She then looked at Beverly and said, “Because it would be the only reason you’d know so much about all of this. Gads, little brother looking out for big sister for a change.”

Jenny just smiled and said, “Terry. Peter has been looking out for you ever since they released him from the hospital after his attempted suicide. He could see how you were acting like a mother hen, making sure you knew where he’d be, what he’d be doing. Even being with him a lot of the time. He could see how worried you and your grandmother were about him so he made sure to do exactly what he said he was going to do. Or go exactly where he said he was going. He didn’t want you or your grandmother to worry more than you already were worrying.”

Terry laughed then said, “Why that little bastard. And here I thought I was the one taking care of us.” Terry used the tissue she was holding to blow her nose, then pulled another one from the box on the nightstand to wipe her eyes before asking, “So where do we go from here, docs? You both got me to open up about everything, told me a few things I didn’t know, but haven’t really told me how to change it all. What do we do now?”

Just then Beverly’s stomach growled, and she said, “I think the first thing we should do is have some lunch. I’m hungry. Then after lunch, Jenny and I can tell you some more things, like we told Kathy, and the two of you can work together to help each other make those changes you asked about.”

Beverly and Jenny got off Terry’s bed, Jenny going to the door and opening it, moving the slide over to reveal ‘open.’ She then stuck her head out of the door and nodded to someone Terry couldn’t see. As Terry continued wiping her eyes, four people walked into the room, and stood waiting until Terry saw them standing there. When Terry saw them she flew off the bed and pulled Shelby, Peter, Kathy, and Marge into the tightest hug they’d ever received from her. She also noticed each one was carrying a bag from her favorite deli. It was Beverly who caused a chuckle from everyone when she said, “Aww...come on guys. Let’s eat. I’m hungry.” It took a few moments for the five, seven if you count Jenny and Beverly, who did their best not to be seen leaking tears, to dry their eyes before they all sat down around the table in the room and caught up as they ate.

Terry had assumed she and the doctors would still have a lot to talk about in the afternoon. What she didn’t count on, when she started saying goodbye to the five, was Beverly saying, “Oh, Terry. Did I forget to mention these five are part of your afternoon session with us? Oh, well, I must be getting senile in my old age. Your actions of late have affected them as much as you and those around you at the time. They need to understand why you’ve been so wound up and to voice their concerns for you. I think we’re all comfortable here around this table, so, Terry, why don’t you tell them your story.” Beverly’s last words were more of a command than a question, though a gentle command. Terry gave Peter a pained look, causing him to reach across the table, take her hand in his, and tell her, “It’s okay, Terry, go ahead. They have a right to know.”

The brother and sister had since learned how to read the expression on the other’s face, and when Terry gave Peter the ‘are you sure’ look, he nodded his head and said, “Yeah, I’m sure.” She gave him the ‘if you’re sure’ look before taking a deep breath and began telling the five everything she’d told Jenny and Beverly. She only stopped once, as Kathy got up from her chair and retrieved the box of tissues from the nightstand by the bed. “...and if these two quacks are right, I’ve been flying off the handle when Kathy is involved in any situation because I’m trying to make up for not being there to stop Peter’s attempted suicide. Grandma was right, it wasn’t my fault, but I still blamed myself for not being there when he needed me.” She then looked at Peter and told him, “If I’d have lost you, I’d have died inside. I would have likely gone off the rails for good. It was hard losing mom and dad, but to lose you too? It would have been too much.” Peter reached across the table and took Terry’s outstretched hand in both of his, the other hand was wiping tears out of her eyes with a tissue.

Kathy chuckled as she wiped tears out of her eyes. She chuckled again when Terry asked, in her ‘it’s not funny’ voice, “And what are you chuckling about, young lady? You do realize none of this is funny. I almost ended up here as my new address for all my mail.” Marge saw the smirk on Kathy’s face and said, “Oh, no. Here we go again. Okay, love, spill.”

Now with a sheepish look on her face, Kathy said, “I can’t help realizing this is like that movie, ‘It’s a Wonderful Life.’ You know the one, where the guy owns that savings and loan his father started, goes to commit suicide and is saved by the angle. Then he wishes he’d never been born, and gets his wish, only to find out he did have a wonderful life. Mom, if you’d gone off the rails, I wouldn’t be here today. You wouldn’t have met dad and I wouldn’t have met the love of my life. None of the things I experienced in grade school wouldn’t have happened, and I wouldn’t have been here to help put an end to Tony and Patrick’s actions against other girls. Maybe you have been trying too hard to make up for not being there for Uncle Peter, but you’ve been there. You were there when me or dad needed you. And from what I’ve heard, you enjoyed being there for dad.” There were snickers from those around the table, except from two very red faced adults. Shelby turned to Kathy and said with a smirk of his own, “From what your mother and I have heard, you two seem to be enjoying yourselves in your bedroom at night.” This time the snickers started with Peter, worked their way to Jenny and Beverly, then to Terry, Shelby, and finally to the two girls, who after getting over their embarrassment, finally laughed out loud.

When the laughter died down, Peter, with a smirk of his own, said, “I wonder what it would cost to soundproof both of those bedrooms?” Several wadded up tissues flew at Peter, until he took one and waved it as a flag of surrender. His waving the white flag, and what he said, started everyone laughing again. It wasn’t until Marge took one of Terry’s hands in her own that things got serious again.

Marge used her other hand to wipe tears off her cheeks, then said, “I’m also glad you didn’t throw in the towel, I don’t know if I’d be as happy as I am today. You and Shelby have been so kind to me and accepting of Kathy and I being together. But you do worry me when you go rocketing into things when Kathy gets involved in something. I keep worrying you’ll finally go over the edge in trying to protect her. I think of you as my second mother, and I’d hate to lose that because of something you did.” Marge had trouble finishing what she said, as her voice choked up and she began crying. Terry pulled Marge into a hug and let the girl cry on her shoulder, telling her, “Oh, sweetheart. I’m so sorry I worried you. But knowing what I know now, I can work on not doing that anymore.” Terry held Marge until she cried herself out.

As Terry held Marge, Peter told her, “Sis, I’ve been talking with Jenny during some free time I had at school. The events with Kathy, what we found out about those two boys, and a few other things, made me start thinking about our past. Especially the days after mom and dad were killed. The more I thought about the days after they died, the more I realized how much hell I put you through because of what I tried to do. I was so wrapped up with myself, and how I was feeling then, that I never considered how you might be feeling. And because of my attempting suicide, I was part of the reason you started tamping down your emotions. It may not mean much now, but I’m sorry I never considered your feelings at the time.” When Terry offered one of her hands to Peter across the table, he could only give her one of his hands. The other was having a hard time keeping his eyes clear so he could see the smile on Terry’s face, and the tears sliding down her cheeks. And in a rather husky voice Terry told him, “You’re wrong, little brother. It means a lot to me right now.”

Terry looked down at Marge and asked, “Better now?” And when Marge nodded, Terry released her and watched as Kathy took her place, Marge leaning her head on Kathy’s shoulder as Kathy held her.

Beverly and Jenny had remained silent throughout the entire time, letting the family have their turn to voice their feelings without any clinical examination.

Shelby reached over and took Terry’s hand in his, cleared his throat a couple of time before he was able to speak, and wiped his eyes with the other hand before telling Terry, “Before you came along, honey, I don’t think you realize how close I was to going down a path which might have put me behind bars or pushing up flowers at some local cemetery.” Peter handed him a tissue, as Terry took his hand in both of hers. Shelby cleared his throat again then said, “But that day we met for the first time, I could see something in you I wanted to know better. And the more I knew about you, the more I wanted to be better, do better, for you. I did so because I didn’t want to lose the most wonderful person I’d ever met.” The tissue was fighting a losing battle, as tears streamed out of Shelby’s eyes. He reached over with both hands and took Terry into an embrace, and with everyone watching, unashamedly cried on her shoulder. Terry joined him, but on his shoulder. Kathy and Marge got up out of their chairs, walked about the table, and put their arms around the two parents, tears falling from their eyes as they held Terry and Shelby.

Jenny and Beverly looked at each other and smiled, giving each other a slight nod of their heads. Things were going as they planned, as the two hoped they would for this family. Both ladies knew the hard part was getting everyone to open up, to let their emotions out, to say how they felt. And it looked like the floodgates for this family had finally opened, their healing could finally start taking place. They all still had a hard road ahead of them, learning new habits to replace old ones. But it would have been much harder had they not opened up and allowed their feelings to show openly.

Jenny had a sudden thought, and catching Beverly’s eye, nodded towards Peter, who she felt might be feeling left out, since the Williams, and Marge, were in a group hug at the moment. But when both women looked at Peter, all they saw was contentment on his smiling face, as he watched his sister and her family. He was more than extremely happy for her.

The two women looked at each other, again, smiles on their faces, and Beverly mouthed, ‘tomorrow,’ and Jenny nodded her head. Beverly then said, “Shelby, I think it would be best if you come late tomorrow afternoon to collect your lovely lady. She, Jenny and I will talk some more tomorrow, like we did with Kathy. We’ll give her some lessons she, and Kathy, can practice so she, and Kathy, don’t fall back into their old habits.” When Beverly used Shelby’s name, he’d lifted his head off Terry’s shoulder, as did Terry, and leaning their heads together, they looked at Beverly as she spoke. Beverly then told Shelby something he didn’t expect to hear. Beverly looked directly at Shelby and told him, “And you, mister, could do with a bit of our help as well. While you may not have flown off the handle as Terry did, you still have packed your emotions down into your own vault. I think if you sweet talk Jenny, she might have time to meet with you at your convenience.”

When Shelby leaned back and turned his head toward Terry, she did the same, so they were looking into each other’s eyes. His throat was tight as he said, “I...I think I like that idea, Beverly.” The two then kissed, as everyone watched. Almost as one, Kathy and Marge said, “Eww...you two need to get a room.” Terry and Shelby turned to look at both girls, with Terry saying, “Oh, hush, you two. We already have a room.” She then turned to look at Shelby and told him, “One which we’re going to use quite soon.”

Beverly and Jenny laughed as they watched both girls finally catch on to what Terry just said. And after another round of ‘Eww,’ from the girls, Shelby turned to them and said, “Oh, hush. You both know you’re going to do the same thing,” which caused both girls to turn beet red. It was Kathy who reached down and took Marge’s hand, looked Marge in the eyes and said, “You’re right dad. We will be doing the same thing.” Marge reached down and took Kathy’s other hand in her own, and leaned in and kissed Kathy.

While Jenny and Beverly might have been thinking ‘TMI’ at this point, they couldn’t be happier at the openness they saw displayed by the family members.

A knock on the open door caused everyone to look that way, only to see Marsha standing in the doorway. “From the sounds of things,” she began, “it sounds as though you’re having an orgey in here. I, uh, just stopped by to let Terry know all of her blood tests turned out normal. There’s nothing we need to look at further.” She’d heard some of what was said as she walked down the hall to Terry’s room. When she’d given Terry the good word, she walked over to Terry and Shelby, gave them a hug, and told Terry, “Don’t be a stranger, call me. We’ll do something together.” Terry hugged Marsha back and told her it was a date.

Shortly after Marsha left there was another knock on the door, and when everyone turned to see who was at the door, they saw a nurse with Tina standing beside her. With a sheepish look on her face, she told Peter, “I, um, snuck off a little early, I had to come and see how Terry was doing.” As everyone watched, Peter got out of his chair, walked over to Tina, and gave them a toe curling demonstration of his love for Tina, as he kissed her so passionately she ended up with her legs wrapped around his waist. The nurse, who brought Tina to Terry’s room, said so all could hear, “You two need to get a room,” before she chuckled and left the room.

If it wasn’t plain to the others, it was to Terry. Peter was in desperate need of the woman he fell in love with. The woman who had helped him not long after Pamala died. The woman who verbally kicked him in the pants when his depression threatened to overpower his will to live. The woman who became first his friend, then his love and lover. The woman who’d become his rock, as Shelby had become Terry’s and Marge had become Kathy’s.

It wasn’t long before everyone could see the change that came over Tina’s expression, as their kiss ended and she gave Peter an extremely concerned look. She lowered her legs until she was again standing on the floor and could be heard whispering, “Oh my gawd, you poor man,” and she pulled Peter tightly into her as Peter began to shake. And it wasn’t long before everyone heard why Tina looked concerned and had pulled Peter into her. Even the nurses came running, as Peter was crying so hard he was actually screaming.

It was Kathy who first got up out of her chair and walked over to the couple and put her arms around the two, resting her head against Peter’s side. With tears running down her cheeks, she told Peter, “It’s going to be okay, Uncle Peter. We’re here for you.” It wasn’t long before Marge followed Kathy, then Terry, then Shelby. All four were hugging the couple, each saying something to try and help Peter get through the moment.

The six were so engrossed in comforting Peter that they didn’t notice Beverly or Jenny having trouble keeping their professional composure. As each one had to reach for the tissue box to dry their own eyes, and regain their aloof composure before Peter was calm enough for them to continue.

It took several minutes for Peter to cry himself out, only to apologize to the five holding him for becoming so upset. Terry gently lifted his chin off Tina’s shoulder, looked him in his eyes, and told him, “No, little brother, you don’t have anything to apologize for. You’ve been affected by all that’s happened as much as we have, and your emotional bucket couldn’t hold any more. You’ve been doing the same as Kathy and I have been doing, tamping our emotions down until our emotional buckets overflowed. Guess we all need help on that score.”

When Peter said he felt better, they all returned to the table and sat down, Tina sat in Peter’s lap. For the next few minutes, Jenny and Beverly talked to all of them about holding in their emotions, how it can lead up to uncontrolled outbursts, causing more problems than was meant to occur. How it not only could affect them mentally but physically too. And that contrary to popular belief, men were more prone to this than women, since society considered it a weakness for men to cry; not that some men cared what society said.

Beverly looked at her watch, and saw it was close to Terry’s dinner time. She hated to do it, but it’d been a long and emotional day for Terry. And she wanted Terry to get plenty of rest before tomorrow. She cleared her throat, then said, “I hate to do this, but I think it’s time for the five of you to head home. It’s almost Terry’s dinner time, and she’s had a long, and emotional, day. I want her to get plenty of rest before tomorrow. So, skaddale. Vamoose. Be gone. Go home, already. Say goodnight, Gracie.” Her last statement was the wrong one to say in front of Shelby, Kathy, and Marge. For that’s exactly what they said together, “Goodnight, Gracie.” Then they just smiled at Beverly. Beverly looked towards the ceiling, rolled her eyes, then said, “I should have known better,” before everyone broke out laughing. The five said tearful goodnights to Terry, with Shelby improving on Peter’s toe curling kiss, just as Terry’s dinner arrived at her room. While Terry ate, Jenny and Beverly talked with her, telling her how more relaxed she was compared to the morning. They then chatted about nothing of importance before telling her to have a good night.

After Terry bathed, and put on a clean gown, the night nurse helped her get comfortable in the bed, before she too bid Terry a goodnight. Terry slept more soundly than she had in years. And without the sedative of the night before.

As to Peter and Tina. After Peter left early the next morning to get fresh clothes for school, a single woman living next door to Tina, who’d been friends with Tina for years, came over for a chat. The neighbor woman had no trouble seeing the glow surrounding Tina and just had to know, “What does that man do to you that makes you scream so loud?” Tina blushed for a moment, then answered, “What doesn’t he do?”

At nine in the morning, Jenny and Beverly walked into Terry’s room in the psych ward, each woman carrying their own brand of morning poison to drink. They greet Terry, who is sitting at the table eating her breakfast. After they sit down across from Terry, they start the usual, “How did you sleep? Did you have any dreams or nightmares?” And run of the mill general information about how Terry was feeling after yesterday’s session. They had hoped, and were pleased, that Terry’s answers were positive, because it meant Terry was understanding many events of her past were not her fault, or hers to correct now. It also meant she had come to understand it was okay for her to show her emotions. That she didn’t have to pack them away until they exploded to the surface. Because of the positive results Terry was showing, both felt they could proceed with helping Terry learn how to keep from falling back into old habits. Some of the things they would tell her could be used alongside Kathy, who had similar habits.

Jenny and Beverly spent the morning explaining the process of creating new habits, habits which have to be consciously worked on or the old habits would intercede. They also told her, if she was diligent in working on the exercises they would explain to her, in time, her old habits would become less than faint memories. But she had to practice the exercises. One thing they stressed most of all, with Terry, was her stopping to think before she acted in most situations. She had to stop thinking every situation Kathy was involved in was serious. Because as she previously found out, it wasn’t. She was helping another girl who’d been abused at home. Once their explanations were completed, they had Terry practice the exercises until it was time for lunch.

It was 1 p.m. by the time the three women finished lunch in Terry’s room. They were just chatting when they heard a knock on the door. Terry was sitting facing the door, and when she looked up and saw Shelby standing there, she gave Jenny and Beverly a puzzled look. Beverly just smiled and told Terry, “I asked him to come at this time. He has some exercises of his own to work on.” Beverly turned and told Shelby, “Come on in and take a seat,” and waited until Shelby gave Terry a kiss then sat down beside Terry.

As the morning had started for Terry, answering Jenny and Beverly’s questions, Shelby’s afternoon began the same way. “Yes, he slept very well. In fact, better than he had for some time.” “Yes dreams, but no nightmares.” And on they went, until Jenny and Beverly were satisfied Shelby was also doing better. They went on to explain much the same things as they’d explained them to Terry in the morning, including the exercises they’d told Terry about. They then had Shelby practice the exercises to be sure he understood how they should be done and when. Beverly then gave the couple a piece of paper that turned out to be an appointment schedule. Shelby’s was in one column, Terry’s in another. Both were told it was a no latitude schedule, unless there was an emergency. She also told them she’d already checked their work loads and knew they could make each appointment. When asked how she found out, Beverly just smiled and said, “Ve have our vays.” Terry and Shelby chuckled at Beverly’s comical answer, but gave her assurances they’d make the appointments.

Then Beverly did something so comical Terry and Shelby couldn’t help but laugh. Beverly stood up, pulled out a wand, with a star on top, waved over Terry and Shelby’s heads, and said, “I now pronounce you fit to leave. You may kiss the doctors on their way out.” Jenny and Beverly received more than kisses on their cheeks. Both received hugs and Terry and Shelby’s profound thank yous for their help. Before Jenny and Beverly left the room, Jenny told the couple, “Now you two understand. Nothing will be a walk in the park. It will mean work on your parts, conscious work. You can’t decide to do the work one day and not the next. You must practice every day or you’ll be right back to square one. And things could be much worse if they fall back to square one.” Beverly then told Terry that the discharge papers would be ready by the time she was dressed and had her things packed. Both were admonished to make their appointments, or else. ‘Or else’ wasn’t explained, but the look Beverly gave Terry and Shelby let them know they didn’t want to find out what ‘or else’ meant.

Beverly pulled Jenny to a stop just out of view from the couple in the room. When Jenny gave her a questioning look, Beverly told her, “Just listen for a few minutes.” Both stood there and listened, only they didn’t hear anything at first. It wasn’t long before the sound of a kiss ending reached their ears, and, “Gawd, I’ve missed you,” from Terry. Then they heard Shelby give a gasp, as Terry told him, “And I’ve missed him too. I’m afraid he’s going to be busy for the next few nights, or days, or both. I need you so bad I’ve a mind to shut and lock the door and take you right here.” It was Terry who gave out more than a gasp, as Shelby told her, “I think he’s missed her too. And he’s more than willing to fill her anytime she wants. Let’s get you packed and go home. I think we might have time for makeup lessons before the kids get home.” It was quiet again, until the end of a kiss could again be heard. Beverly smiled at Jenny, who said, “I think I need a bit of TLC tonight. Or something a bit stronger and longer.” Both chuckled at what Jenny said, turned then walked down to the reception desk. As they walked, Beverly thought to herself, ‘So do I.’

Jenny and Beverly waited as Terry and Shelby all but ran to the reception desk. Terry signed the papers so fast that her signature was almost illegible. Both women were about to say something to Terry, but Terry beat them by saying she’d see Beverly at her first appointment. Shelby was holding the elevator and Terry practically ran into the elevator, where she and Shelby began, there, what they’d finish when they got home. While watching Terry and Shelby’s beginning, before the elevator doors hid the scene, this time it was Beverly who said, “My Bill is going to be in for one heck of a ride tonight.” Hearing this, Jenny gave Beverly a shocked smile, as both women laughed before heading to the elevator. Whatever else they had planned at work, could wait. There were more important matters to attend to at the moment.

Peter parked his car in the Williams’ driveway, and walked Kathy and Marge into the house. The minute the front door closed, it was obvious to the three that Terry and Shelby were home. There were smiles on three faces, as Marge turned to face Kathy and Peter before saying, “Well, I guess Terry and Shelby are home.” Kathy replied, “Yeah. Guess they’re working on some of the lessons Jenny and Beverly gave them.” Peter suddenly got something caught in his throat, and did his best to stifle a cough. Kathy and Marge chuckled together, before they each got a twinkle in their eyes. Peter saw the twinkles, and told the girls he had another meeting and would see them at school. As he was leaving, Kathy, a smirk on her face, said, “Say hi to Tina for us.” Caught off guard, Peter said, “I wi…,” then realized he just told the girls where he was going. He showed Kathy a fist, but with a smile on his face.

It didn’t take Kathy and Marge long to change into nothing, and practice their own lessons.

When everyone finally came up for air, and convened at the kitchen table, it was Terry who said, “You two seemed to be working on some lessons rather fervently. I thought the neighbors might come over and complain.” The smirk was back on Kathy’s face, as she asked Marge, “What did that Roman Emperor say to his best friend before those Senate boys killed him?” Marge played along, and acted like she was thinking, before she said, “I think it was ‘Et tu, Brute?’” Kathy turned to look at her mom and said, “Et tu, Terry?” Terry gave Kathy a funny look, but Shelby caught on and started laughing. Terry slowly turned her head to look at him and asked, “Okay, funny boy. What’s so funny?”

The look Terry gave Shelby only made him laugh harder, and that infuriated Terry. When he finally stopped laughing, or to a point he was just chuckling, he said, “The girls must have heard us when Peter brought them home. You complained the girls were too loud, and they must have heard us all the way by the front door.” Terry turned back to look at Marge and Kathy, who had the biggest smiles on their faces Terry had seen. Terry put her head down on the kitchen table and began banging it lightly on the table as she kept repeating, “Oh, my, gawd.” It wasn’t long before all four were laughing because they’d each heard the other couple during the throes of love making. Kathy reached across the table and took both of Terry’s hands in her own, causing Terry to look up at Kathy. Terry got her concerned look on her face when she saw tears in Kathy’s eyes. Kathy shook her head when she saw the look on Terry’s face, and told Terry, “No, mom. Not unhappy tears. Happy tears, that you and dad can still enjoy each other in that way. I’ve heard too many stories at school about other parents who fight all the time. I’m just very happy for both of you.” Now it was Terry who had tears in her eyes, after hearing what her daughter just said. When Terry could finally speak, she said, “Thank you, sweetheart. That really means a lot to you father and I.” She then turned her head to look at Shelby and asked, “RIGHT, laughing boy?” In answer to her question, Shelby leaned in and gave Terry so passionate a kiss that she almost drug him from the table and back to their bedroom. But settled for his hand to be where he just put it.

After he ended the kiss, reluctantly, he said something the three girls hadn’t considered. “It’s kind of funny. But our talking about our love making noises, is actually practicing what Jenny and Beverly talked about. Sharing our emotions, being open with each other. They may not have meant this particular topic, but still, we are sharing together.” He watched as the three women thought about what he just said, then as they each started nodding their heads.

Marge must have been taking lessons from Kathy, because Shelby saw the smirk form on Marge’s face. He had a feeling it would be a good one, and it was as she said, “You’re right, Shelby.” She paused for a few seconds, then said, “I mean, about the noises.” The reaction from the other three was as Marge predicted. Kathy and Terry facepalmed themselves, while Shelby sat stunned before he started laughing. It wasn’t long before the napkin holder sitting on the kitchen table was empty, as balls of wadded up napkins came flying in Marge’s direction. The laughter coming from that kitchen was enough to wake the dead.

Since no one had showered, yet, and it was on the late side, they decided to order out, and chose Chinese. The water heater worked overtime that evening, after which, Terry and Shelby relaxed on the couch watching television while the girls did their homework. They all would need another shower in the morning, unless the neighbors complained about the noises to the police.

When the girls arrived at school the next day, Terry received a kiss from each of them, before watching them walk into the school. She saw Peter standing by the front door with a goofy grin on his face. It only took her a moment to realize he must have been with the girls when she and Shelby were pleasing each other. She shook a fist at him, then smiled and blew him a kiss. He acted like he caught it, before walking out to the car. He blushed a bit when he reached Terry’s car, and said, “Sorry about hearing you and Shelby yesterday afternoon. It wasn’t intentional.”

She reached out of the driver’s window, took his hand, and told him, “You have nothing to be sorry about. I’m almost positive you and Tina bothered her neighbors last night as well.” Now he was really blushing and could only nod his head. Terry squeezed his hand and told him, “Peter. The four of us have been told to work on being more open with those we love. Not to hold our emotions in, not to put them in our special boxes, as it was said. You are my dear brother, whom I dearly love with all my heart, and I want to be more open with you. And if that means you hear Shelby and I on occasion, then so be it. You don’t need to feel embarrassed because you do.” Peter reached up and wiped tears out of his eyes before saying, “I love you too sis.” They exchanged kisses before Peter stood back so Terry could pull away from the curb, and out of the school parking lot. Neither one noticed two girls standing at a window, watching the two of them.

The days passed, lessons practiced, appointments kept, and as they all discovered, replacing bad habits with new ones was more difficult than they realized. A case in point: Over the days since Charline, Kathy had others come to her because of the trust Charline had given her about her problem at home. And word had spread. Shortly after Terry had been discharged from the psych ward, she received a call from Kathy, telling her she was helping another student with a problem much like Charline’s problem. Terry immediately told Kathy she’d be right there, until Kathy reminded her of the lesson they were given by Jenny and Beverly. Terry was silent for a few moments, before thanking Kathy for reminding her and asking Kathy to call when she was ready to come home. Another time Terry had a spat with Peter, over nothing of importance, but brooded about it all day until the girls and Shelby came home. They could see she was upset, but refused to say why. It was only when Shelby reminded her about the lesson of being open to each other that Terry finally told the three why she was in a bad mood. And it wasn’t only Terry who tried to fall back into old habits.

Kathy had been in a stall in the girls’ restroom, when, judging by the voices, three girls entered the restroom. “Who does that bitch think she is? I’ve known Patty longer than her but who does Patty go to with her problems? Kathy, fucking, Williams. That bitch has only been a girl for a few months, and she acts like she knows all about being a girl. Girlfriends stick together, they tell each other their problems. They don’t go running off to some twat with their problems.” When the first girl stopped talking another girl said, “Maybe Patty went to Kathy because Kathy doesn’t gossip about other people’s problems, like you do. Maybe Kathy has a level of trust you lack.” Kathy didn’t have to see the anger displayed by the first girl because of what the second girl said. “JUST WHO THE FUCKS SIDE ARE YOU ON? THAT TWAT DOESN’T HAVE ANY MORE TRUST THAN I HAVE. I KNOW HOW TO KEEP SECRETS.” The third girl then spoke up, saying, “Yeah, we all know about your trust issues. That’s why after you posted about Kelly’s problem her parents came to your house to talk with your parents. Yeah, you’ve got trust, alright. Trust that you can’t keep your mouth shut.” The first girl screamed, “FUCK YOU BOTH,” before storming out of the restroom.

The two girls left in the restroom froze as a toilet flushed, a stall door opened and Kathy walked out of the stall. She walked over to a sink, washed her hands, dried them, before turning to the still frozen girls. “Don’t let her get to you. Or that I heard it all. I’ve accepted that not everyone is happy with me or when others confide in me. I didn’t ask for any of this, but it’s how my life has become. Well, I guess I’d better get to class.” The two girls didn’t see the tears falling from Kathy’s eyes as she walked out of the restroom, or how quickly she wiped her eyes when she approached Marge. Marge could see that Kathy had been crying, and when she questioned Kathy, Kathy just told her, “We better get to class.”

Later, when Terry picked up the girls from school, Marge again asked Kathy why she’d been crying. Kathy was sitting between Terry and Marge, and just shrugged her shoulders, then mumbled, “It was nothing.” It was Terry who reminded Kathy of the lessons Jenny and Beverly told them about, and it wasn’t long before tears fell from Kathy’s eyes as she told them about what she’d heard in the girl’s restroom. Marge pulled her close, let her cry, before Kath blubbered, “Why can’t people just accept me for who I am now? I didn’t ask for any of this.” Terry turned left instead of turning right towards their home. It wasn’t long before she parked the car in front of the Ice Cream Shoppe.

As the days passed for the Williams and Marge, so too the days passed at West High School. Ever since the first day Walter came to school dressed as Kathy, and the three boys took it upon themselves to teach Walter a lesson, only to have Terry teach them a lesson, the school had gotten tougher on those bullies who used physical violence to get what they wanted. Because the school upgraded the security cameras, and added many more, no one on campus could escape being seen by the cameras. And because some places had camouflaged cameras, more than one bully had received an immediate two week suspension for their actions against another student. And when their parents learned what they’d done at school, they were often grounded for the rest of the school year or made to volunteer at a shelter of some type. Peter received several handwritten letters thanking him for informing them about their child’s conduct at school. Some were less than kind, as a couple of families felt entitled, as did their ‘little Johnny or Joanie,’ who did nothing wrong.

Because of the crack downs, and the additional cameras, the school had settled into a rhythm which seemed to suit all of the students who attended the school. That is until Tony and Patrick arrived, and attacked Kathy. But with the help of all the students, it wasn’t long before that rhythm was restored. It did help when the students learned Tony was in Juvenile Detention until he turned eighteen, then would be transferred to State Prison to serve the rest of his sentence. And Patrick, who’d been abused by his grandmother and Tony, was in a mental health facility getting the counseling he so needed.

The days counted down to the end of the school term. Awards were given at an assembly in the gym, with Kathy and Marge receiving the Citizens of the Year award for all they’d done to help the students during the year. They were even approached by the advisor for the National Honor Society, who told them if they continued next year as they had this year, they’d be eligible to join. But when they learned what would be expected of them, they declined. Even though Terry, Shelby, Dorothy, and Thomas told them how much it would impress those who looked at their resumes. As the girls told their parents, they wanted to be accepted for who they are, not because of the club they had joined.

The final school dance was held a week before graduation, and it seemed the entire school attended. No one acted as they had during the first school dance, when Marge and Kathy danced together. More than a few cornered the girls and thanked them for all the help the girls gave them during the year. Especially those who Kathy helped get the needed help with a problem at home.

The lessons the four had been given by Jenny and Beverly were paying off, some of their old habits had become distant memories. But a few old habits still wanted to take over, which sometimes caused a few problems that were soon fixed.

When Terry picked up the girls for the last time at school for that term, Terry started asking all sorts of questions, questions the girls did their best to answer. “Do you two have plans for the summer?” “There are a few things I think you might be interested in doing.” “Have you both given any thought to what you’ll do after you graduate, it isn’t too soon to make plans.” The girls tag-teamed Terry by alternately saying, “We’ll know in a couple of days what we’ll be doing this summer.” “So if that pans out, we won’t have time for other things.” “Yes, Marge and I have discussed our future plans, together and with two others.” When Terry tried to press the girls for more details, they told her they would tell her after they found out about their summer plans. Two days later Terry learned both girls would be spending their summer with Beverly, under a special program for high school students at the hospital. And if they did well during this summer, they would spend each summer with her. They also told Terry their plans after graduation.

FROM: State Safety Investigating Board
TO: Peter Stepel, Principal West High School, and Board of Education
RE: Accident at West High School, Science Room one, supply room

After further investigation of the accident that happened in Science Room one, the supply room, upon further interviews conducted by past employees of said Science Room one, and upon deep analysis of the shelving involved, it has been concluded that the school was at fault for said accident.

After interviews with Dr. Mary Tillard, former science teacher in Science Room one, it was learned of what she found when she took over the teaching assignment from a Mr. John Roberts, freshman science teacher in Science Room one for thirty years. Mr. Roberts had stored heavy science equipment on the failed shelves, equipment which should have been stored on shelving which could handle the excessive weight. After surveying the supply room, she requested metal shelving and replacement wooden shelves. The metal shelving was granted by the then principal, but the replacement wooden shelving was denied, inspection of said shelves by the then maintenance worker said nothing wrong could be found with the wooden shelves. Microscopic exam of the broken wooden shelves revealed stress fractures along the entire centerline of all the broken shelving. Because of these stress fractures, it was only a matter of time before all the shelves would fail.

It is recommended that all wooden shelving be replaced with a sturdier material, material suitable for storage of material necessary for class lessons. It is also recommended that all liquid and powder chemicals be secured behind locked doors, thereby making it necessary for any teacher to be present when chemicals are needed.

As to the matter of the transformation of Mr. Walter James Williams, now known as Miss Kathy Elizabeth Williams, no conclusions have been forthcoming. Several experts have been consulted in several fields, and none can provide any explanation as to the event. And since it has been learned she is a healthy fifteen-year-old girl, it is then recommended yearly physical exams be conducted to further ascertain her ongoing physical health.

END OF REPORT

up
193 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

did I miss something I

did I miss something I thought the girls name was Doris instead of Charline

Yes and No

Kathy helped two girls; Charline and Doris.
She helped Charline escape a very abusive father and helped prevent Doris from committing suicide.

There are two girls

Jamie Lee's picture

Charlene is Gerald's daughter, the girl whose dad threatened to have raped by his friends if she didn't do what he told her.

Doris was the girl whose brother, Tad, found her diary and threatened to give it to their parents unless she spread her legs for him any time their parents were out of the house or every night.

Others have feelings too.

Well we find the truth out.

Samantha Heart's picture

About both Terry & the shelving. The shelving SHOULD have been replaced YEARS ago & was approved by the principal at the time, but the "maintenance head" said nothing was wrong with the shelving so nothing happened. Now Walter/Kathy's accident FORCED the school to take action.

As for Terry there were things after her parents death that took their toll both on her & Peter. We learn EXACTLY what drove Terry to be the way she was. Looks like BOTH girls are going into psychology there is a BIG need for therpist now days.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Thanks for the comments Samantha

Jamie Lee's picture

Terry essentially closed herself down after their parents were killed, thinking she had to put her own feelings on hold to take care of Peter. And when Kathy arrived, her memories of not being there for him kicked in and she unconsciously tried to makeup for that past time.

Yes, there is a lot of needed counseling to attend before they all fully come to terms with the whys and wherefores.

Others have feelings too.

The end???

I have to wonder if we have come to the end of the story or if Jamie will extend it a few more chapters or if it is the end of book one and there will be a book 2.
Regardless, Jamie has given us quite a bit of enjoyment with this story and I await whatever comes next from her.

Hi Nellie

Jamie Lee's picture

Yes, END OF REPORT is the end of the story. Right now I don't have plans for a book 2, or whatever it'd be called, but I also said nothing would come after Complicit In a Lie. And I'm currently writing Complicit In a Lie Revisited.

Saying book 2 would never appear wouldn't be best at this point in time.

Thank you for the very kind words. I often become hesitant when posting a new story, unsure how it will be received.

Jamie

Others have feelings too.

a good sequel would be shipping the girls off to college

With some distance from the parental support, it'd be interesting to see them as young women in an environment where Kathy's past isn't widely known, and they have to deal with the prejudice of being "that lesbian couple."

Hi Rosey

Jamie Lee's picture

Because I once said another story, Complicit In a Lie, wouldn't have a sequel, and I'm now working on its sequel, and while chapter 33 is the end of this story, that doesn't mean a sequel isn't possible.

The girls have 3 more years of high school, then at least 4 years at University, then their master, then doctorate, then...I've an idea for this part but will have to get an inkling for everything in between. And at the moment nothing suggests itself.

Thanks for enjoying the story enough to want more about the girls.

Others have feelings too.

is that the end?

if so, it's been a fantastic ride. but I kinda hope we get more

DogSig.png

Hi dorothy

Jamie Lee's picture

Yes, this particular adventure has come to an end.

I can only say that a sequel is not out of the realm of possibilities, but if one is written it won't arrive immediately.

Others have feelings too.

Wrong place right time

Thank you for a wonderful story. I was afraid that was the end, but it was a good wrap-up. If your muse says it needs more and hands you a sequel I am sure it will be greeted with smiles.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Thank you Siteseer

Jamie Lee's picture

It's good to hear you enjoyed the story, and thank you for your comment.

In truth, a sequel hadn't been planned, this story was all my sprite gave me. I do think, though, based on inklings I'm getting, that my sprite is busy coming up with ideas I will receive when they've fully formed. Unfortunately I can't say when book 2 will appear, so just keep an eye out.

Others have feelings too.

Sorry to see it come to an end

Jamie, Thank you for a very enjoyable story but like they say all good things must come to an end sometime and I guess it is now "sometime"
Can't wait to read your next story when ever it may appear. Thak you again.

Thanks Darlyne

Jamie Lee's picture

If a sequel occurs there has to be a beginning. With the number of readers asking, "please sir, I want some more," keep your eyes peeled, it just might happen.

And thank you for the kind comments.

Others have feelings too.

“End of Report” must be the

“End of Report” must be the modern version of “And they lived happily ever after”. However you write it, it is always nice to read that at the conclusion of the tale. Thank you.