The Golden Blade Part 9 of 13

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 9 – Making Sense of the Chaos

“Now for the clean-up” I said. Lance was about to burst so I put a finger to his lips and whispered “We cannot let them report to Melehan. They all have to disappear.” Merilyn said “They have been shocked but one has suggested ringing the boss.”

“Right” I whispered “Merilyn, when I say ‘now’ put a big sphere of light over us. When I have dealt with these guys, send it north in an upwards arc as if it was accelerating. Then put it out when it gets above the cloud.” I got ready to stand and then said “Now!” I was shading my eyes when the light flared above us, seeing the three men about fifty feet away and spread from the waterside to the other side of the road. One had a phone in his hand. I sent them each a ball of electricity which hit each one in the head. They dropped to the ground. “Come on” I said “It’s time to do some work.”

“Gwen and Lance; go to the guys and frisk them for anything we can use. Take their keys and go and bring their car back here. I’ll go and get ours.” By this time the sphere of light was glowing in the clouds and then everything went dark. I got the Volvo and parked alongside the car that Lance had come in. The two of them had collected the weapons and some papers that the men had been carrying. Lance trotted off to bring back their car, driving it without lights. We heaved the three bodies into it. I then turned to Lance and said “If I neutralise the tracker on your car it will fry the electrics; that OK with you?” He nodded, obviously still a bit shocked at the events. He got everything out of his car that would identify him and locked it, leaving the windows slightly open as I had asked him, doing the same with the other car.

I said “Gwen, you will have to drive us home; this is going to take a lot out of me.” We put Merilyn in her seat and then I concentrated very hard, lifting one car off the ground and then sending it out to the middle of the lake before releasing the levitation. I quickly turned to the other, with three bodies in it, and did the same. I was right, I felt like I had been wrung out after that. We all got into the Volvo with me in the back. Merilyn said “That was magnificent, Mummy, rest now.”

On the way back we had nearly got to Bolventor when a police car passed us going the other way. Lance was asking Gwen what the hell had happened and she told him that she was sure it would all be explained in the morning. She did get him to take the back off his phone and look for the bug. When he found it he threw it out of the window and then took the battery out as well, putting the bits in different pockets. I just sat quietly and recuperated.

As it was coming up to the hour Gwen turned on the radio and we listened to the news. Much of it was the usual doom and gloom but the newsreader then said “We finish with news that an alien spacecraft has been seen over Bodmin Moor. It is reputed to have climbed at great speed before disappearing. There are also reports of loud noises in the area. Police have been despatched to see if there is any trace of their visit.”

At the house we all went in with Gwen helping me. I put Merilyn to bed and kissed her goodnight. She whispered “There was nothing else you could do, Mummy, if you had not acted we would all have been dead. I have no powers over a rifle bullet.” Gwen and Lance went to their room and I went to mine, just laying down and falling asleep. My sleep was deep but I had a dream where I was standing on a hillside and there was a guy on horseback coming towards me with a spear in his hand. Unlike the modern tales, he did not wear armour and the spear was just a spear, not a lance. He was, however, out to kill me so I levitated the horse and he was in mid-air, going no-where. Beside me an archer drew his bow and put an arrow into the riders’ heart. I then rotated the horse so it was heading back the way it had come and then let it down. When it got back to the line of warriors they gave a howl and started running away. I had beaten one foe but I knew that, by then, the battle had already been lost. It was time for me to head for other places. I knew, in my heart, that Arthur was now dead and there was nothing left for me here.

In the morning I had a long shower, redressing in a house dress and slippers. The others were already at the kitchen table finishing their breakfast. Merilyn said “Good morning, Mummy, how are you now?” “Much better” I said, giving her a hair kiss. I got myself a cup of tea and some toast and Lance held himself in check until I had finished. He then said “Now, please explain what has happened and what you are. You certainly are not poor Arthur any longer.” I thought for a moment and then said “Now there you are wrong. I am that Arthur still, transformed into a female so that I could bear my child. The differences were taking place before you first met me. We have a theory that the covid injections triggered some alterations to my DNA.”

“What it did was wake up some long lost chains from the family, far back. I did not become Morgan Le Fay but the DNA started giving me some powers that she had. I passed these powers on to Merilyn but she has much more than I could ever give her. We cannot sit you down and talk about past lives” I lied “but there are things I know come from the sixth century. The original Morgan could sense and manipulate gravity which is the power you saw last night when I moved the cars. We both can sense electricity and Merilyn can sense radio waves better than me. Last night I sensed the heat sensing gear from the helicopter.”

“Yes” said Lance “the helicopter. You brought down a Gazelle, one of the most successful choppers we have ever had like you were just swatting a fly.” “That was just a ball of electrical energy” I told him as I created a small version. “When it went into the cabin it was attracted to the systems there and fried the computers and control systems.” I didn’t tell him that it would have fried the brains of anyone wearing a headset. “It was a similar ball of energy that I used on the three guys which electrocuted them as well as frying all the electrical devices they had.” “OK” said Lance “why did we have to kill those three guys?” Gwen snarled “Because they had come to kill us, doofus! They certainly didn’t come with guns and a sharpshooter in a military chopper if they only wanted to talk about the weather!”

Gwen then asked “What I want to know is why this is happening.” I thought a bit and then said “I think that Vincent Melehan is the latest in the line that comes down from Mordred. Mordred had two sons and one was called Melehan. I rather think that he is just a nasty bastard that has decided to rule the world as he knows it. One thing in our favour is that his line has no powers. When Mordred killed Arthur, according to the legend he did it with a poisoned sword so all he had to do was give Arthur a cut. He will use anything that can help him. What does he do in Whitehall?”

Gwen looked like she had swallowed something nasty. “He is the Secretary to the Minister of Defence and is tipped to take the top job after the next election” she told me “no doubt that is how he could call up a chopper to do some wet work. He probably told them they were hunting terrorists.” I said “He probably saw me as a lightning rod and someone who would take people away from his side. That’s why he is pushing the AA mob. They would be just right to back him when he tries to take over. I think it could just be coincidence that I have powers from the same time that his forebears lived. I think that he would consider me incredibly lucky to have evaded him so far but the sudden disappearance of his assassins will make him sit up.”

We decided that the best thing now would be for Gwen and Lance to reappear next to Sir Lionel and to try and find all the bugs to prove to him that he was, indeed, under surveillance. I would stay out of the way until he was clean. Then we could try a meet again, at a neutral place, sometime in the future. For interest we put the TV on and watched the morning news. It was filled with stories about aliens on Bodmin Moor and a lot of people had sent in video of a bright light going up into the clouds. There were even interviews with witnesses who stated that they had seen aliens at the windows of the ‘flying saucer’. The police said that they had searched the whole area and had found nothing unusual.

Gwen packed a bag with the things she had bought and we went to Exeter in the car. There we found a nice new Jaguar in the railway station car park and I did my thing with the security system. I told them to dump it before someone started searching for the GPS signal and take the train. We hugged and they got in and left for London. Merilyn and I just took it easy to allow me time to recover more. We bought a Sunday paper and sat in a park having a laugh at the stupid stories but we were pleased at the way they were running with it. It was as far from the truth as possible and it would be difficult for anyone to say that the event was anything else. When the shops were open again we would need to research Melehan and his circle of friends before we did anything more.

Merilyn said “Mummy, what you did last night was way better than anything we had seen you do before. I know that we shouldn’t have to kill people but, if we hadn’t, we wouldn’t be sitting here in this park. We must not be complacent now; we must start thinking about hitting Melehan where it hurts. What say we find out what his movements are in the future and see if we can put a stick in his evil spokes?” I thought for a bit and then agreed. “We can always fry his cars, maybe if we find out where he lives we can fry his home systems. Hell, if we take down the phone towers near Whitehall that would slow him up. Good idea, young lady. However, it will not stop you going to school when the guys set it up. Also, if we do this I will need to do it alone, his troops will be looking out for a toddler as well so I think that there would be a better chance of me getting away with it solo.”

Marianne G © 2021

up
171 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

As the saying goes…….

D. Eden's picture

Evil never sleeps, so the powers of good have to get up very early in the morning!

There are those in this world whose ambition sees everyone else as nothing more than tools, just a means to an end. People are nothing more than stepping stones, cannon fodder to be used up on the way to achieving their ambitions. Those who would see themselves ruling over the rest of us are the same ones who believe that the ends justify the means - that anything goes in their quest to rule.

My father, a man I knew well, sometimes loved, and often hated, taught me much about life. A lot of what he taught me was by being a negative example, but he did pass on a few pearls of wisdom. One of those was that anyone who wants to be President, should not be allowed to obtain the office; it is such a shitty job, that no sane person should want it. That is probably true of most positions of power.

It has been my experience that there are two types of people who look for authority - those who crave the power, and then there are those who have been raised to believe that service is their mission in life. Those are the ones who recognize that with authority comes responsibility; the ones who have been raised to believe in honor, duty, and service as I was. The ones who believe that their raison d’etre is to serve and to protect those who are less fortunate.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Blame it on aliens

Jamie Lee's picture

Yep, unexplained bright lights in the sky must means aliens have visited the earth. This theory fits well in keeping Morgan and Merilyn off the grid.

Yeah, it's time they took the fight to Melehan. It's time his intentions are revealed to those thinking he walks on water. It's time he's so exposed so that he never reaches the position in government he wants to reach. A person like him in control would be a detriment to the citizens of the Country.

But in order to stop him, he will have to be eliminated. No warnings like Morgan and Merilyn discussed will dissude him. It's likely to make him double down in his efforts to find them.

Others have feelings too.