The Voyage of the Visund -63-

Printer-friendly version

The two vessels continue on their voyage along the great river. The newest passengers learn what it takes to live on the water as they head towards Faralan. As they round the last bend an unexpected danger threatens.

grakh on parchment

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

63 - Learning the Ropes


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2022 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



«Where first, Mistress?» asked Torvin.

The area of land had obviously been used by river travelers to camp in the past, judging by the circles of scorched earth and, less pleasantly, the several heaps of refuse scattered around the edges. This included human wastes. Fortunately nearly all of those were downwind of the main camping area.

Eriana was not happy about the location. It was set back from the main river which hid them from both passing and possibly hostile traffic but also meant that they could be surrounded by land forces that could remain concealed until the last moment. Her natural warrior instincts wanted a clear space so that they could see anyone coming, but the surrounding scrub grew thick and rambling, with only narrow random tracks leading into the brush.

«Look at it this way,» Lars had offered, «at least this undergrowth will hide us and the fires. I agree, we'll have to post sentries, but we would do that anyway.»

«But we have two vessels to guard now,» she objected. «It is not as it was before, when we just had the Visund to worry about. And not all our company are warriors, either. I am concerned for the safety of the women.»

He shrugged. «It is inevitable, Princess. This new water-force of yours is going to be much bigger than just the crew of the Visund. Much bigger. You and I have to learn new ways of doing things.»

«We have spoken of this before, Lars. I wonder if I have volunteered for something I am not capable of doing.»

He put a gentle hand on her shoulder. «We have time, Princess, and we might have just the people to help us do it.»

«If you insist. Very well. Set your sentries and we will see what happens tonight.»

Lars bowed his head. «Princess.»

Adin came over to join them with a grin. «Supper is served, Highness.»

«Thank you, Adin. Not salt fish again?»

«Not this time, Highness! I have been shown a new way of stewing gavakhan meat which makes it taste really good. Can't you smell it?»

Eriana shook her head. «Not really, we are the wrong side of the fire. Coming, Lars?»

«When I have set the sentries, Princess.»

At the fire Ursula sat between Tyra and Zakaros with Karan beyond him. There was a clear space between them and the others, who were in several groups scattered around the glowing embers. Some cast suspicious eyes at the newcomers. All held spoons and bowls of stew.

"I did not know what to expect when you told us that we would be camping tonight," the older Yodan commented. "I expected rough fare but this is delicious! Your little cook is a talented man, I deem."

Ursula smiled. "He may be now but at the beginning he could do little more than boil salt fish. Which, I have to say, was tasty enough. Once the Visund reached Joth he met a man who really is a good cook and he taught Adin how to use the local herbs and what to do with different cuts of meat." She pointed across the fire. "See that man helping him? That's Kedian, one of the bargemen we rescued. He is also a cook and the two of them have learned much from each other."

"Kedian? I saw him at the mansion but I know little about the others who travel with Her Highness. Her men I may readily identify by their attire and their hair but the others, I assume, all are those you rescued?"

Ursula smothered a chuckle. "The others, as you call us, come from all over the Great Valley and for very different reasons. You can recognize Lars by now, yes?" He nodded. "The smallish man sitting on his right is Lord Kalmenar, who is some kind of legal representative provided by the King of Palarand. Since Her Highness, as you will have noticed, is mainly a woman of action, he was sent to help smooth over any disputes in foreign countries."

"Ah. Aye, I can see the need for such a man."

"His success is variable, Master Zakaros. Apparently there was a... spirited argument, let us say, when I was discovered on an island in the Sirrel soon after they left Palarand. There was a great disagreement about what should be done with me."

"Oh?"

"Apparently there are rules which apply to travelers who, for whatever reason, get into trouble on the river, like being wrecked, falling in or being marooned. Do you know of them?"

"Not at all, Mistress. My domain was far away from the water's edge."

"Both Lord Kalmenar and our pilot at the time thought that I should be left at the next port we came to, as is the custom, for return to wherever I came from. For myself this would not have been safe. I had lost my memory and would have been at risk from almost everyone. Fortunately, at that time we had Duke Wallesan of Joth on board, and with him was that man I mentioned, the other person who came from my world. They managed to persuade the others it would not have been sensible to leave me at the next port."

He nodded. "I do not know the laws of the river but I can believe what you say. They could not return you? Of course not, if you do indeed come from another world. But, tell me, how did they know that? For that matter, how do you know?"

"I told you before that people who are transferred are usually at the point of death on the other world."

"I recall."

Now, how much do I tell him? A little, perhaps, but not everything. He might not believe it all.

"When we are brought, it is almost in the state that we were when that happened. We are no longer injured, we are given a new, unmarked body, but we are dressed the same way that we were whenever the death happened. Whatever we were carrying at the time comes with us as well. For me, that meant clothing that is impossible to produce on Anmar, clothing that had been ripped in such a way that it was obvious that I had been mauled by a large wild animal."

"Clothing, Mistress? I do not understand. How can clothing be impossible to make here, yet it can be made elsewhere?"

"Machinery, Master Zakaros. On Earth we do very little hand-sewing of garments any longer. Machines are used which make the production of clothing very quick and easy. If you wish to see what I wore, then you will have to apply to the Duke of Joth, who holds in trust for me what I came with."

Zakaros stared at her and then gave a nod and a grunt. Ursula noticed that Karan was paying close attention to the conversation.

"I see now why those above me desired to find and obtain those who come from this other world," Zakaros commented. "I doubt not that you could tell them much which would be of use to Yod."

"That may not have worked out as intended," she replied. "While I could tell you - or others - that certain things exist, or that things can be done a certain way, that does not mean that I personally know how to do them. There is so much for us to know that we all spend a long time learning how to live a useful life and that means that we have to specialize what we learn. For example, I consider myself to be a reasonable doctor, healer that is, but I could not tell you how to make any of the machines we use to help us in our work."

"Machines? What machines would those be, Mistress?"

"Machines to help with breathing, for example. Machines to test pulse and blood pressure. Machines which can look inside you without opening you up. Machines which can remove your blood and clean it of impurities and then put it back. Many others."

Zakaros stared at her and then shook his head. "Mistress, if I did not know better I would think that you spin tales of fantasy. Will you swear to me that all you have said is true?"

"Of course. I swear that I have told you nothing but the truth."

Tyra added, "Heard and witnessed!"

Zakaros leaned across to address Tyra. "You speak as if you know more than she has said."

The reply was careful. "Master, there are always secrets between mistress and maid and that is where they will stay. She has told me more, it is needful if I am to serve her properly. I am of Joth, I have seen what my Mistress wore when she was discovered. She speaks the truth."

He acknowledged her with a slow nod. "Thank you... Tyra?"

"That is my name, yes."

Ursula said, "Tyra is the next person who joined the company. When I arrived in Joth it was to a completely unfamiliar world. I did not know any of the customs and I could not even dress or undress by myself. By chance Tyra ended up helping me and His Grace has made the association a formal one." She added, "You should know that Tyra is learning to read, write and do math and she is also learning to fight. Her family are fisherfolk and she is already familiar with our two vessels."

"I am surprised but perhaps I should not be. I have already the example of those two before me," he pointed to Bennet and Semma, eating their stew with the other women, "and it seems to me that we of Yod have made serious errors where our womenfolk are concerned. Yet you can never be as strong as a man."

Tyra responded, "But I do not have to be, Master. All I have to do is to make sure my sword goes into the right place on your body and it will not matter how strong you are."

"As you say, Tyra. Brute force does not win every battle, it is true. I must needs learn to treat women with more care."

"More respect would do for a start," Ursula added, scraping her bowl. "The conditions inside Yod are unlike that of anywhere else I have been so far. If you would excuse me, I think I will have a little more of that stew."

She stood and walked around the fire, leaving two thoughtful Yodans behind her.

~o~O~o~

"Mistress, wake up!"

Tyra's hand was shaking her shoulder gently and her voice was lowered.

"Mmm. What is it?"

"It is morning, Mistress. Time for breakfast."

"Oh. Yes."

Around Ursula the camp was coming to life, men and women standing up, stretching, scratching various parts of their bodies. Adin was at the fire, restoring it to life by fanning it with a blanket while one of the others fed more wood in as the flames reappeared. Some were walking off towards the screened off area where -

"Tyra, I need to go." She struggled to her feet.

"Of course, Mistress."

The two made their way to the separate latrine set aside for female use. By chance it was not being used so both entered and dealt with the necessary bodily functions. They then left and walked back to the Visund, where it was possible to scoop river water out with a bucket and perform some rudimentary washing of hands and faces. Other body parts would have to wait until after they had eaten.

When they returned to the camping area the men were standing in rows, just beginning their Tai Chi.

"Oh!" Tyra groused. "I wanted to join in that. It has been several days since either of us last did it."

Ursula yawned. "I would have liked to as well. Maybe next time. Look, Adin is busy with breakfast, let us go over and see if he needs some help."

They passed Zakaros and Karan, both of whom were staring at the Norse with open mouths.

"Mistress," the former Commissioner stopped Ursula, "what is it these men do? Is it some kind of barbarian ritual to their gods?"

"You could think of it as a ritual," she replied, "but it is an exercise designed to help anyone and everyone maintain their bodily fitness, even the very young and the very old. It can also help you to clear your mind, ready for the coming day. In fact, both of us are learning to do it but we did not wake up early enough today, and of course we take longer in the latrines than men do."

"You would do this as well?" He gestured at the men as they moved slowly from one foot to the other, their arms and hands sweeping in unison.

"I would, Master Zakaros, and as a healer I have no hesitation in recommending it to you and to Karan as well."

"Interesting. Thank you, Mistress, for the explanation. Karan, what say you? Would you attempt this... exercise... as well?"

"Master Zakaros, it seems to me that there is more to what the men do than simply to wave their arms about. See there? If I am not mistaken, that could be the beginning of a fighting movement. Ah, yes! I understand now." Karan turned to Ursula. "Mistress, I feel that it is necessary that we learn this curious art. How may we do so?"

"I will have a word with Her Highness later on, Karan. It would not be easy to attempt to do it all at once, so what has happened in the past is that those who already know what to do perform the whole exercise and then newcomers are taught the first few moves afterwards, each time learning a little more." She smiled. "It is not that difficult once you get to know what is required."

He nodded. "Thank you, Mistress."

"Then, if you would excuse us, we were on our way to see if Adin required any help preparing breakfast."

* * *

Once breakfast was over the men began packing everything away aboard their two vessels. Ursula spotted Eriana in deep discussion with Kalmenar, Hashim and the two captains. She decided to make herself available in case there was some potential problem. As she walked over Eriana greeted her.

"Ursula. Join us if you would."

"Is something wrong, Highness?"

"Not at all, Ursula. We merely seek to identify where we should next come to land. Hashim thinks we should camp once more while Kalmenar would prefer the comforts of a town or city. Unfortunately Pakmal Town and Zebrin City are more than we might manage in a single day, unless the wind freshens considerably. That leaves Faralan, on the other shore... I mean the other bank, of course. He was explaining what we might find there."

"Faralan? I have heard the name before but that is all. What country is that in?"

"If I may explain, Highness," Kalmenar said to Eriana. He turned to Ursula. "As Yod and Pakmal occupy the southern side of the Sirrel, Mistress, on the northern side are three countries which may be of interest to us. Lowest of all, before one reaches Ferenis, is Lower Fanir, which faces Yod City across the river. The island which we passed on our right side also belongs to Lower Fanir, though it was occupied by those of Yod during the war.

"Next comes Upper Fanir. This land was once the upstream part of Fanir but the river moved and separated the two lands one from another. There is a high outcrop of rock, similar to that of Boldan's Rock, between the two lands now, though there is room for a road to pass below between the river and the rock. The Fanir Finger, which we have been sailing around, is all part of Upper Fanir.

"A similar finger of land pokes out on the southern side, Mistress, and we shall soon be sailing past that on our left. Facing the tip of the finger, on the northern side of the Sirrel, lies the capital of Upper Fanir which is named Faralan. The Fa river empties into the Sirrel just upstream of Faralan, and that is the border between Upper Fanir and Faralmark. Once beyond Faralan the river swings south again and another day's sailing would bring us to the twin cities of Pakmal Town and Zebrin City.

"A day's sailing, perhaps, beyond those two cities will be Bibek, which is the capital of Faralmark. Further upstream lie the lands of Thesk, Benmond and Mirdul. Those lands are larger than many downstream but are less heavily populated than most we have already visited."

Eriana said, "Thank you, My Lord. Aye, my original plan was to journey so far but," she smiled at Ursula, "for some reason we have been delayed at various points along the way, by chance gaining passengers from far-off places. We have already lost a month or so from our original schedule, though I do not begrudge any of it. We will reach Bibek, I have no doubt, but when we do I will confer with Simbran if it should be possible to go further before we must needs return.

"Today's question is where to go today. We have the provisions to camp another two days, maybe three if we are careful. I would be content to do that if it means that the busybodies we have already encountered along our way would leave us alone. However, Lord Kalmenar counsels that it may be wise to call at Faralan since there may be messages waiting our arrival there."

Although Eriana did not actually ask any question, her pause indicated that she wanted to hear Ursula's opinion.

"Do we know what state Faralan is in?" she asked. "I mean, was it attacked by Yod or occupied? Would we cause complications by going there? I mean, for them, not for us?"

"Faralan was occupied by those of Yod, Mistress," Kalmenar replied. "However, the latest word I have is that, before the war ended and those of Yod surrendered, there were popular uprisings in those three lands that I named, where the invaders had reached. I believe, though I have no confirmation, that the whole of Upper Fanir was freed and some kind of rule restored, but who leads that land now I could not say."

"You think it would be safe for us to go there."

"As you say, Mistress. I feel that the city will be stable enough even if the countryside beyond may be less so. Whatever the state of the government, the Valley Messenger Service is reliable and I feel certain that, knowing of Her Highness's progress, there will be mail awaiting us there."

"Have you been there before? What is it like?"

Kalmenar shook his head. "Mistress, it is not a place that I have visited. The trade road lies on the southern side of the Sirrel along here and so my journey took me from Yod through Pakmal to those cities on that side. But Hashim here will have called there, I deem."

Their pilot nodded. "I have, My Lord, on several occasions. Mistress, Faralan is not so large a city, not like many further downstream. Though my own preference would be to camp, that is the natural thought of a bargeman and it may be that we would be better served by calling at Faralan."

Ursula shrugged. "I can see nothing obviously wrong with either choice, Highness, but I am guessing that you planned to call at the capital cities of all these countries as you sailed along the river."

Eriana nodded. "That is so, though some we may call at on the return journey, of course."

"But, as Lord Kalmenar said, there may be important messages waiting. For that reason I would suggest that Faralan should be our destination."

"Then it is decided. Hashim, I assume that you know these waters well?"

"I do, Highness, but as you are well aware much may have changed since I last came this way."

"It matters not. Whatever has happened to the river, a way must be found. Find us a course for Faralan, Hashim."

"As you command, Highness."

He bowed and headed for the Visund along with Captain Tor. Eriana turned to Ursula.

"There is another small matter concerning the travel arrangements, Ursula. It is not what I would prefer but it seems I must needs be more sensitive to what is happening around my people."

"Highness?"

"The rescued women... and some of the bargemen, it would appear, are wary of the two you rescued in Wadek, mostly because they are Yodans and one was definitely of the Ascendancy, even if Karan may not have been. They would rather not travel on the same craft as the Yodans - not yet, at any rate. Thus I am forced to ask the two Yodans to travel on the Visund, and myself to remain with the women and the bargemen aboard the Green Ptuvil. My own men are also unsure of the two men, having recently battled others of the same party, but they will obey my orders and leave them alone. What I desire is that you and Tyra travel aboard the Visund with the two men, since both they and my men trust you. After the incident with those pirates Tor has complete confidence in your judgment. Will you do this for me?"

Ursula was surprised. "Um, Highness, I can see the logic. Considering how those we rescued at the farm were treated I do not blame them for keeping a distance from anyone from the Ascendancy. We have traveled this way before, as you say, so I cannot think of a reason why we should not do it again."

Eriana's smile was very warm. "Oh, thank you, Ursula! It is not something I desired to do but the circumstances offer few alternatives. In future I would like to try rotating some of each crew so that all become comfortable sailing either vessel in time but not yet. First we must reach Faralan and then, as always, we consider the next leg of the voyage."

"I will go and inform Tyra, Zakaros and Karan of the new arrangements. We will need to shift all our gear to the Visund."

* * *

"They do not like me. I can see it in their faces."

Ursula shrugged. "It is not surprising, Zakaros. You were in charge of those men who snatched me off the street and shut me in a shed, men who fought back when they came to rescue me. They all have reason to dislike anyone who was of the Ascendancy."

"Yet I am permitted to sit here among them aboard their ship."

"Now that they do find surprising, that I would rescue you and that you would end up traveling with us. However, they are all reasonably well disciplined and they practically worship Her Highness, so they will do as she requests. They also respect me and my decisions, though sometimes they may not understand them. Do not make the mistake of thinking them soft or even thinking of them as barbarians. Most of them are very smart and I respect them in turn."

There were mutterings in Norse from those who sat nearby and could overhear their conversation.

"Very well, Mistress," Zakaros concluded. "It seems that I am now in exile, in lands unfamiliar to one who knows only the ways of Yod. I would not account myself smart but neither am I stupid. I will learn by watching and, if time permits, I would earn the respect of these men in turn."

"You set yourself a hard task, Master Zakaros. Earning their trust will be hard enough. Unlike most on this ship, you do not have a clear purpose with the company."

"I understand that, Mistress. Indeed, this is the first time I have ever set foot on any water vessel. I am content to do whatever may be asked of me, should it be to pull on a rope, heave on an oar - or to stay out of the way."

Any further conversation was interrupted by alarmed shouts from the bow, with Vynil frantically jabbing his arm to his right. At the stern Tor leaned on the oar and the Visund swung ponderously rightwards, but further shouts and gesticulations caused the action to be abruptly reversed. The sail flapped as it was dragged round to lessen the impact of the wind, slowing the ship.

"What is happening?" Zakaros leaned towards the side, peering ahead and down into the water. "Maker! I can see the bottom! We will be stuck on a sand bank!"

"Tyra," Ursula asked, "what is the water like the other side?"

The maid stood and climbed onto a tarpaulin-covered pile of chests in the center of the Visund, peering into the Sirrel.

"It is deeper this side, Mistress. There is no bottom visible, though the water is very muddy and it is difficult to see much at all."

By now the ship had come to almost a standstill, the partial wind on the sail being balanced by the slow current in the channel. Tor handed the steering oar to another and jumped down to have words with Hashim. Both looked forward, then up at the masthead, before looking forward again. After another discussion Tor came forward to address Ursula.

«Mistress, if you permit, we have need of Tyra. She is the lightest and on another occasion she said that she could climb the mast. She knows the river and we need her to tell us where the channels are.»

Ursula pointed. «From up there? How safe is it?»

Tor grinned. «As safe as anything we do on the ship, Mistress.»

"Tyra? They want you to climb the mast and look out for the channels."

"Me, Mistress? Of course, I am the smallest and lightest. Um, I will have to do it in this ship dress."

"I don't think any of the men will give you trouble. Just be careful what you show and try not to tear anything."

"As you say, Mistress." Tyra shaded her eyes and examined the mast. "How far up should I go? I'll have to be above the sail, I think."

Tor nodded. "Sit on yard, Tyra. Is high enough to see."

The maid grinned. "Ah! That will be easy enough."

She skipped along the cargo stretched along the center line, even scrambling over the upturned praam which protected the cooking equipment. Disappearing behind the sail, she made her way up the mast, her bare feet easily gripping the wood. She reappeared at the top, swinging her legs over the yard, one each side of the mast.

«That does not look comfortable,» Tor muttered. «The yard takes her weight but her bottom is behind it and has no support.»

«You said that you had a boy who went up the mast. How did he do it?»

«Ah, Alrik was younger, smaller and lighter. He sat on the yard to one side, with an arm around the mast. It will do for now. We must quickly find a way out of this maze before it traps the barge.»

Tyra was now standing on the yard, to the applause of many below. She began surveying the waters around them.

Zakaros and Karan were staring at her with amazement. "Mistress," the former asked, his face pale, "how does she do that?"

"Ah, it is a result of how she grew up," Ursula explained. "You know that her father is a fisherman?"

Zakaros nodded. "Aye, you told me. In Joth."

"They live in cramped quarters next to the docks. Think of two rows of terraced houses facing each other with an open balcony connecting all the upper floors on each side like a sidewalk. There is storage at ground level and they live upstairs. Between the two rows of houses the women stretch their washing lines at several levels. The children play on the balconies and lines, climbing all over them. It is terrifying to watch what they do. Have no fear for Tyra's safety."

"If you say so, Mistress."

Seeing Tor still with Ursula, Tyra came down the forestay, hand over hand, to end up at the bow. She rejoined Ursula, grinning ear to ear.

"I liked that! You can see a lot from up there. Captain," she pointed, "go three ship lengths that way and we should join a bigger and deeper channel. This one does continue but it is very narrow ahead."

"Yah, Tyra. You sit on yard, find way, use whistle to tell?"

"Oh, the whistle, of course! Captain, I forgot. I'll climb back up right now."

This time she climbed back up the forestay, just to prove that she could, swinging onto the yard when she reached it and seating herself comfortably to one side of the mast. Tor made his way back to the stern and reclaimed the steering oar. Orders were shouted and the Visund swung onto a new course.

Ursula noticed that Karan was red faced. "Do you think that she is showing too much, Karan?"

"Mis - Mistress," he stammered, "I am not used to seeing so much of a woman's body. It would not be considered decent in Yod, let alone seemly. Is this normal attire in other countries?"

"Not at all, Karan. The situation is slightly complicated," she gave him a knowing smile, "as much is when you travel with people like Her Highness and her crew. In the countries that I have visited so far, and there have not been very many, what women wear is much the same as Yodan women do but it is usually of finer material and will show more of her legs and arms. Nobody wears cowls outside of Yod.

"For work on the river, aboard a barge or a ship like this, even that may hamper movement around the decks so a lighter design was produced in Joth for us. These dresses are easy to slip on or off over our heads and have no bones or knots to hurt us if we should fall over or bump against something. The skirts are long enough for modesty, wide enough to move around in but not so wide that the wind will lift them up. They are more cooling in the heat of summer, but I expect another design will be thought up when the weather becomes cooler again."

She gave him a sidelong look. "Do you mind if I were to lift up my hem and show you something?"

Karan looked shocked. "Mistress!"

Even Zakaros stirred. "Mistress, is this needful?"

"You will not see anything you should not, except perhaps a little more leg. You have already seen it all on Tyra anyway. May I?"

Zakaros gave an abrupt but reluctant nod. Karan saw this and also nodded. Ursula lifted up her hem to reveal the 'bloomers' beneath.

"For purposes of modesty, and also to help when we are sitting down, we all wear these," she explained, letting the hem fall again. "I am told that variations of these are becoming popular along the Great Valley, because they allow women to be cooler than the traditional gowns and dresses permit."

"As you say, Mistress," Zakaros muttered, getting over the shock. "Normally, in Yod, only a husband or a parent would see so much flesh of any female. I understand your point about keeping cool in the warmer months and I appreciate that river folk have different customs and attire." He waved a hand around. "Is the curious attire of the men also from the same source?"

She nodded. "It is and the men like what they have been given. They also find it much cooler."

"Is it a uniform, or may such as we take advantage of the design? I am comfortable now, I deem, but I expect the weather to become even warmer in the next month or two, before the rains change all."

"It is a uniform, but only by accident. If we were to make some in a different color then I do not foresee any problem, but I would suggest that you ask Her Highness first."

His eyebrows raised. "She holds the design license on this attire? You make it yourselves?"

"Design rights are complicated, Master Zakaros. Technically the rights are held by Joth but they have already given permission for the armies of Forguland and Ferenis to make summer uniforms based on what our men are wearing, it was too big an improvement for them to ignore. I do not think Her Highness will object but it will be better to ask first. The men mostly made their own garments but the women on the barge have made some as well as making dresses for us."

He nodded. "I will do so, Mistress. Karan, what say you?"

The young man replied, "I have looked at what the men wear and thought it unusual but perhaps practical, Master Zakaros. I notice that some of the men on the barge and Master Hashim, our pilot, also wear such attire but of different colors. Perhaps, if we are permitted, that will be what we would be given."

He replied, "I will enquire when we arrive at Faralan. Ah, Mistress, technically Karan is your responsibility now."

Ursula said, "I suspect that you both are my responsibility now. I will ask Her Highness about clothing once we arrive."

In fact the day was a little cooler than many of the previous few weeks. The sun still shone but there were more clouds in the sky and the air felt somehow different. It was still pleasant enough weather and, looking around, Ursula could see that many who made their livelihoods on the water were taking the opportunity to do so. There were many craft, small and large, within view and going about their normal activities.

A sequences of whistles brought everyone to their feet.

"What is happening?"

"It is a normal action, Master Zakaros. The wind is dropping and we have to cross to the other side of the river, so Captain Tor has asked for the oars to be made ready."

He blinked. "But I thought that Faralan was on this side of the river. Did we not cross soon after we departed? Why then must we cross back once more?"

"Something to do with the way the river flows, I was told. The strongest current is always on the outside of the bends so, to go upriver, we often switch sides to where the current is weaker."

"Ah. I did not know that."

"A problem is that the stronger current is where the river is deepest and therefore safest for shipping to go. When we cross over, we will be back among the shallower waters."

"I take it this is not a good thing."

Ursula shrugged. "Because this ship is so wide it does not sit very deep in the water. That means it can go where others may not. The Green Ptuvil sits much lower in the water and I would expect Her Highness to choose a different route. We will still have to take care but, with Tyra up there," she pointed up at the masthead, "we should be safe enough."

"But why do we need oars? Is the sail not enough? Oh, you said the wind was dropping, and now I can see that it is so."

"It... is complicated, like much else that happens on the water."

The men rearranged themselves and set the oars as required. Ursula found herself on the inboard end of one held by a grinning Ragnar. On the other side Zakaros was beside Stine and Karan, on the seat ahead of them, beside Halsten. With Lars aboard the Green Ptuvil it was up to Ormund to beat the time.

"How do I do this?"

"Let Stine handle the oar, all you need to do is to add your strength to his. Oh, and it is not a contest. Rowing all together requires coordination to work properly."

With Tyra still sitting on the yard and whistling instructions, the Visund swung across from the Upper Faral side back towards the Pakmal bank. There was an awkward moment when they crossed the main current, which here was a broad stream, and the ship heaved and creaked alarmingly.

"What is happening? Why are we going backwards?"

"The whole river is flowing towards the sea, Master Zakaros. We just take advantage of the fact that some of it is doing so more slowly than the rest. This is normal until we can get out of the main current."

"It is safe? Why is the ship making noises?"

"The ship will twist and flex as we go over waves. If it did not, it would break in the middle."

"Ah. Thank you, Mistress. It seems the river is more mysterious than I knew."

Once in the quieter waters Tor elected to stay away from the shore and the shallows that lurked beneath. This meant that the oars would be needed for some time. The pace was steady and caused no-one any problems, though Karan was not strong enough to help all the time. He and Ursula broke in the middle to serve out water to the other rowers.

"Tyra? Do you need a drink?"

"Why Mistress, I do believe that I do. Will you ask the Captain if I should come down?"

Permission given, Tyra scrambled down one of the side supports and joined Ursula and Karan near the base of the mast. She was handed a leather bottle of water and promptly drained it.

"If you go up again," Ursula cautioned, "you should take a bottle with you. I would not like to see you become dehydrated."

"As you say, Mistress! I did not think I needed so much. Ow. Sitting in one place for so long has made my backside sore."

"I'm not surprised. Normally you move about all the time. Since you should not be up there all the time perhaps Captain Tor should arrange shifts." Ursula turned. "Karan? How would you like to go up the mast?"

He stared at Ursula. "Me, Mistress? I would fall off and break my neck before I ever reached so high!"

"I was partly joking, Karan, but if you become one of the ship's company there are many different tasks you ought to be able to do. And it would be easier for you to climb up than many of these big men around us."

Karan gulped. "Mistress, there is much in what you say, but... I do not like heights."

"Ah, that is different. A discussion for another day, then, but what I said is true. You might have to learn some unusual arts before we sail much further."

"And I expect to, Mistress, but I thought that you would be my teacher."

Ursula considered. "I think we need to have a talk with Her Highness when we get to Faralan. We have gathered many extra people and we all need to know what tasks we can do as we journey onwards."

"As you say, Mistress. If I can help then I will."

The Visund reached the next bend in the Sirrel, which had Faralan on the outside edge. To reach it would require them to go around the bend some way, cross back and then let the current take them downstream towards the city.

In the distance around the bend was a galley. When it saw the Visund approaching the oars flashed in the water and they could see that it was headed directly for them. There were urgent whistles from the masthead, where Tyra had resumed her position.

Many of the men had already made their weapons ready as it bore down on them. Ursula headed for the stern where Tor and Hashim waited.

She asked, "Do you think it is pirates again?"

Hashim answered, "Mistress, I do not know. Much may have changed since I was last in this reach."

"Can we escape? Go over to the current, let it take us away?"

He gave her a sad smile. "Mistress, it would just do the same and the current would carry it at the same speed we would travel. And, with those oars, it would soon overtake us. Look, it will pass on that side, cutting us off from the current."

The galley was becoming nearer and larger.

"Of course," she said, "what they don't know is that we could escape the other side. Suppose we head off towards the shallows? They cannot follow us there any more than the last galley could."

«Mistress,» Tor said, «look, he will go past us. He is traveling too fast, unless he wanted to run us down. Perhaps he seeks prey behind us.»

"The Green Ptuvil!" Ursula gasped. "They are behind us and cannot maneuvre the way we can!"

As the galley passed by them, their oars barely missing those aboard the Visund, there were shouts from the bow and they could see figures silhouetted against the sky, pointing. Before it had traveled more than a ship's length behind the Visund it had come to a complete stop, earning an appreciative whistle from Hashim.

"It is certain they are not Pakmali, not handling themselves that way. I believe I might know the colors at the bow but they passed so fast I could not see... Maker! Look! It is us they desire. Captain, ready your men for defense."

Having come to an abrupt halt, the galley spun, almost on the spot, a considerable feat of oarsmanship. It then began to follow the Visund, getting closer by the moment.

«Mistress? Instructions?»

«I am not sure, Tor,» she replied. «As Hashim said, they are too good to be Pakmali - or pirates. Tell the men to prepare but we'll keep on this course for now.»

To Hashim she explained, "I agree. I do not think they are hostile, but I have asked Tor to ensure the men are ready."

She then turned forward and pulled out her own whistle. Blowing an "attention" she beckoned Tyra to come down. As Tyra came down the supports the galley eased itself to within arrow-shot and then kept station.

"Ho! The ship! Are you the Visund of Palarand?"

The three looked at each other. Hashim suggested, "Mayhap someone has provided us an escort, Mistress. The colors in the bow resemble those of Upper Fanir, though I am not certain from this angle."

Tyra reported to Ursula, "Mistress, I had a good look at the galley as they went past. There are many men on the top deck but none were obviously bearing arms. I do not think they are ready to attack us."

"Can we ease up a little?" Ursula asked Tor. "It will be hard to shout from this distance."

«Better that we ask them to approach,» he replied. «They seem to have more control than we do.»

Tor jumped back up onto the stern deck and used both arms to beckon the galley closer. They could hear the beat of the drum aboard the galley as it increased the tempo slightly and it began to close the distance.

Ursula shouted up to Tor, "Get ready to dive off to our left if this turns out to be a trap. We'll take our chances in the shallows."

"Yah, Mistress!"

Soon the galley had reached a position where it would almost have been possible to reach it with an outstretched oar. Several uniformed men loomed over the bow, staring down at the stern of the Visund.

One called, "Be at ease! We have no evil intent on you or your ship! I must ask again, are you the Visund of Palarand? Your ship greatly resembles the description we were given."

"Hashim? You had better answer. I think your voice will carry better than mine."

The pilot called back, "Aye, this is the Visund. Who are you?"

"We are the Ten-legged Brakky, a patrol galley from Upper Fanir," came the reply. Ursula stifled a giggle. "Your Highness, Count Olva welcomes you to Upper Fanir on behalf of his liege Count Darkwin, who is presently indisposed. If you would follow us, we will escort you to our port."

Hashim started and then turned to Ursula. "Mistress, I deem he believes that you are Her Highness!"

Ursula suddenly understood what had happened. As the galley had passed by the Visund they would have seen only men except for two women, one who may have been a servant. That was why the galley had come to an abrupt halt and returned. The conclusion was obvious, even if it was wrong.

"Tell them I am not the Princess, Hashim. Tell them we are part of her company but that she is on the barge following behind, the Green Ptuvil."

"Aye, Mistress."

This information was received with complete confusion by those on the galley. Eventually another man leaned over and called, "Ho, the Visund! We did not know there would be two vessels. We will go and make ourselves known to this barge you name. We will return with the barge and escort you both safely across the river."

Orders were shouted and suddenly the galley receded to the rear. Once a safe distance had been reached it spun again and headed for the red lateen sail used by the Green Ptuvil. Everybody let out a sigh of relief.

"That could have been awkward," she said to Hashim.

"Aye, Mistress. That is the best galley handling I have seen in years. I have no doubt that free men are below decks manning the oars, to produce such a quick response."

"Could we have got away, do you think?"

"Probably, if we could have reached the shallows early enough."

Tor jumped down and rejoined them. «The sailor in me admires those in that galley. I would not like to face them in a fair fight!»

«It is just as well that we don't have to, then. But, remember, that galley could become part of Her Highness's fleet in time.»

In the distance the galley had reached the Green Ptuvil and spun once more, beginning a close approach to the barge for conversation.

"It looks like our visit to Faralan could be interesting," she remarked.

up
175 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great

And am doing the appendix stuff right now!

Eriana's Crew are Sailors

BarbieLee's picture

Different ships, different means of moving them, the sailors of the galley Ten Legged Brakky are handling the ship like it was a skiff not a ship with a keel. I strongly suspect the shallows wouldn't have been a safe harbor for the Visund?
Eriana's Navy is going to need several good River Captains to begin patrolling the Sirrel. Will her navy only be cleaning up the pirates and trash along the river or will they be carrying mail, packages, shipping?
Interesting Ms. Lane
Barb
When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

I'd think only high value

I'd think only high value/high risk transport, there's quite a substantial commercial shipping industry already.

but Eriana will be more focused on a yet to be built Ocean fleet,

Keel?

Almost all craft, even large ones like the Visund have keels, did you mean a centerboard?

The galley is to a more or less standard design and, because of the weight of timber and the large crew, will sit much lower in the water than the Visund does. Like the previous encounter, no galley will want to go near the shallows if it can be avoided. Of course you first have to know where the shallows are...

This part of the Navy is actually going to be more like a combination of Customs and Coastguard with perhaps a smidgeon of Fire and Rescue thrown in. It won't be doing anything commercial but would probably involve itself in more military matters.

Once they get powered watercraft I am certain that Tanon and his competitors will soon have their own fleets commissioned.

Penny

Different kinds of boats, ships

BarbieLee's picture

Keel, the main structural member and backbone of a ship or boat, running longitudinally along the center of the bottom of the hull from stem to stern. It may be made of timber, metal, or other strong, stiff material.

Usually, unless it is a a flat bottom boat, it is the lowest part of the bottom of the water craft. Sailing craft may or may not have a center board that can be lowered or raised to stabilize the ship and keep it from sliding sideways in the water as the wind pushes on the sails. The Visund as a dual rowing, sailing ship would of necessity need a more V shaped hull but less than a full masted sailing ship. The vikings were masters of well designed ships, open waters and operating in rivers. Their exploits on all fronts have been documented.
What I don't know about boats, ships, sailing craft could fill a large library. In my back yard are four unfinished one or two people sailing boats. If you are familiar with the Sun Fish, basically it's in the same category as the sailboats Jean and I used to mfg.
Hugs Penny, and I love your stories.
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

long boats

long boats are essentially assault ships of their time, designed to land on unprepared sites, Eriana probably won't have that luxury for most ships built for the ocean fleet, even if they don't have paddle wheels or screws initially, pumps, evaporators, cranes and the option to add guns and an armor belt are too useful

The new federation Navy

Will indeed be formidable when it is official.

atop the mast,

they have discovered the need for a coupula (I know I butchered the spelling) with speaking tubes and lightning rods

Transition

Teek's picture

Writing a good transition chapter is always tricky, but you did a good job. You have addressed issues of the past and brought up the future. As the characters transitioned from city to city, you have helped the characters transition on their journey as well (especially the two new members of the group).

I always love a new Anmar story chapter. thanks for sharing it with us. Timelines between stories are starting to come together. This will be fun for us readers to see you pull it off, but as a writer I know how it can be a lot of work for the author. Thanks for putting in that effort. You always make it look so easy. I look forward to hearing more about the lives of your characters.

P.S. - My favorite character is still Milsy, but that is probably because that is the first one of your stories I was introduced to, oh so long ago.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Milsy

I am sorry about Milsy. It is still my intention to progress that story thread, especially as it intersects with several others at later dates.

However, time and health have not worked to my benefit and so I must concentrate on one thing at a time. Even so, my production rate has been somewhat sporadic of late. There are just too many other demands on my time.

Penny

Understand

Teek's picture

I understand how demands can impact your writing. We have so much that happens in our lives outside of publishing the next chapter of a story. You do something even more amazing, you write several stories at the same time that overlap with each other, and work with others with overlapping stories. I can't even picture doing something like that.

Any Anmar story is great, and the first thing I read when I look to see what is new. You have developed an outstanding unique universe.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek