The Voyage of the Visund -70-

Printer-friendly version

Ursula examines Anmar's first prototype sunglasses. Eriana and Kalmenar decide to join her at the mansion to explain 'factories'. The next morning Ursula struggles with her desires, later, at the treaty signing, she realizes that an important document is missing.

grakh on parchment

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

70 - Designs and Treaties


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2023 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



"Please sit down, gentlemen."

Urjen and Abban each took the nearest chair and made themselves comfortable. Both, Ursula noted, had small box-like leather bags with them and Urjen also carried a flat folder, which he placed on the table.

"Mistress," Urjen began, "when you came to me with what seemed a simple commission I thought that it would be easy enough for me, with Abban's assistance here, to satisfy. However, thinking about what you required and then, following your comments about making these devices available more widely, has given us both to much deep thought."

"I wondered if it might," Ursula said. "After we left you we had other more serious business with the two Counts but your own comments made me realize that what I asked was not necessarily simple. That made me think over the whole idea. First, perhaps, I should ask you for your own thoughts."

"As you wish, Mistress." Urjen opened his bag. "Here, Mistress, is a sample of silver rod that I thought would be suitable for the purpose. As you can see, it is a square section - we can draw these easy enough - with a channel in one side to hold the glass." He shrugged. "It is much the same as the lead I would use for a window. If I soften the rod carefully and bend it into shape I can make something like this -" he pulled out a respectable looking frame, "which should satisfy your desire. In theory, then, all Abban has to do is to shape his glass to fit, I solder the frame shut and fit the side pieces, which will be made of similar rod without the channel."

Abban then took up the story. "Mistress, as I told you earlier, I thought that I should be able to make flat glass of at least the size required and then shape it to fit Urjen's frames. It is so, here are two samples I made after lunch."

Abban lifted out two small cloth bundles which he opened on the table to reveal two lenses, roughly shaped, but of different colors.

"This is my immediate problem, Mistress. I do not know what colors or darkness of shade will be required. These two are made from scraps that happened to be in my workshop." He shrugged. "No doubt I or my apprentices can spend all our days producing pairs of these lenses in many different colors and darknesses but until we know what combination will be suitable for each person it will be a wasted effort, I deem."

"And then there is the problem of fitting," Urjen added. "To change such a lens, so that Lord Darkwin and others may discover which they would prefer, would mean opening the frame each time and resoldering it around new glass. In a very short while the frame would be so abused that it will not be usable by anyone. So then I had an idea."

Abban gestured as Urjen brought out another frame. "Mistress, I believe this may be the answer to that problem."

Urjen explained, "I have made a slightly smaller frame, of the same size and shape as the lenses, from plain square silver rod and soldered it shut. Then, on the outside, you see hooks which can be bent over to hold the glass in place in front of the frame. This method, after all, is only much the same way I mount gemstones in brooches and the like. His Honor can then test the different kinds of glass we may offer until a pair is found that he is comfortable with. Once he has done that I can solder them into the other style of frame for a more permanent fit."

Ursula picked up both frames and examined them.

It is a clever idea and one I would not have thought of. I would not have thought of the problem of selecting colors or densities either. Why would I? When I wanted a pair of sunglasses I just went into a shop, chose a pair and bought them! They don't do that here. Yet.

"Gentlemen, I think you have solved one of the more awkward problems I suspected you might have. I agree, this looks like the best way of solving that problem."

"Thank you, Mistress," Urjen replied with a small bow. "With your permission, we will now begin to make a pair of frames, test and final, and a range of lenses for His Honor to select from. I assume that you will desire to carry out the testing? Honest craftsmen like ourselves do not regularly call upon our rulers."

She smiled. "Yes and no, Master Urjen. Since, as you know, we will be sailing on at some time in the next few days, I will not be around to do more than the initial fitting and testing. I expected someone from Faralan to become Count Darkwin's expert in such matters. It could be either of you, both of you, or someone else of your choosing, possibly a healer, preferably someone who normally works with patients who have sight problems."

The two men looked at one another.

"We will be too busy, Abban."

"If the other part of our business here becomes what we think it will, certainly!"

"But there is that healer who used to live in the Street of the Canthis. Remember her?"

"Aye, Urjen, but I haven't seen her around for some time. A lot of people disappeared when the invaders came calling."

"Ourselves included! But at least we returned once it was safe enough." Urjen turned to Ursula. "Mistress, we will attempt to find someone who can do as you require. For now, if we may both attend the mansion with you when you go to supply His Honor with the glasses."

"Of course." She inclined her head. "Count Darkwin already knows that it is you two I have spoken with."

Abban said, "Mistress, we are gratified that you have mentioned our names to him."

"Then there is the small matter of sun-glasses for others," Urjen continued. "Personally, I spend some time each day in the market-place and I am tired of squinting once the sun moves round to face my stall. I am astonished that I did not think of something like sun-glasses myself, Mistress. Abban and I have talked this matter over between ourselves and we are amazed, nay, even concerned, by the potential market for such devices as these."

"Aye," Abban agreed. "Mistress, if only one-tenth of those residing in Faralan were to wear such items we are speaking of many hundreds of devices which must needs be made. A pair of artisans such as ourselves could never hope to fill that demand by ourselves, even with our apprentices, it would become our life's work to the exclusion of all else. Thus we are considering combining our resources and starting some kind of venture which will make nothing but sun-glasses for those of Faralan and, indeed, for anyone who resides in Upper Fanir. But we have no idea how to go about such a venture."

"Ah," she said. "Yes, sunglasses could become extremely popular once their existence is known. And you two obviously think that I know how it is done where I came from."

"As you say, Mistress. There must be some means whereby this task can be accomplished otherwise you would not have mentioned the possiblity to us." Abban's eyes suddenly narrowed. "Unless, Mistress, you do not know how such devices are made?"

Ursula colored slightly. She had indeed overlooked this point.

"I regret that you have guessed right, Masters. Where I come from nobody can possibly know every detail about how everything is done, any more than everyone in Faralan knowing how you make jewelry and you make glass." She pointed to them in turn. "All I can do is offer you some general advice and let you work out your own ideas from there." She paused, thinking. "There is a possibility that someone in our party might know more, which means that I'll have to ask for advice myself. I suggest that you both return tomorrow afternoon when I might be able to provide more details for you."

Urjen nodded. "About what we thought, Mistress. Thank you for your time and effort. Now, concerning the device for the Count, how should we proceed? The frames before you should suffice as a start, I deem, but there are the lenses to consider. How many should friend Abban make? And of what darkness and color?"

Ursula thought. "Can you fit those two lenses into that test frame for me, please? I should at least try out what you have brought."

"Surely, Mistress, but they are different colors, as you see."

"I can shut each eye while I test the other. It is not something I would ask a patient to do, though."

Fitting the lenses was simple, the retaining lugs being bent into place by hand. Ursula took the frame and walked out onto the walkway around the courtyard, where she was received with curious stares from relaxing Norsemen. Putting the glasses on she discovered that they would be too large for her but would probably fit Darkwin well. The glass in the bluish lens was flat but there was a ripple across that in the dark red lens.

The two men had joined her outside, where they eyed the always well-armed Norse with caution.

"This frame would be a little large for me but should fit the Count fine. This blue lens is about right for color," she told them. "It looks smooth and the view is clear. Whether it is dark enough for the Count only he can tell us. The reddish lens has a faint ripple across it, but otherwise that color might also be suitable."

"Do you tell me?" Abban responded, surprised. "If I may try the device, Mistress."

The two tried the glasses on and muttered things to one another.

"I see you are right, Mistress," Abban conceded. "We will have to be more careful when we select our glass for the lenses, I deem. Tomorrow morning, then, I will make some more of the blue type, it may be possible to vary the darkness but for final use I should melt more glass with varying proportions of the coloring salts."

"...Making careful notes about which lenses have which salts, and how much of each," Urjen noted.

Abban sniffed. "I don't tell you how to make bracelets, Urjen, I know my own business. But, aye, I will begin by making careful notes of all we have done so far. It will be needful if we are to make so many of these devices."

"Done." Urjen turned to Ursula, who was now squinting in the sunlight. "Mistress, we shall return tomorrow afternoon at about the same time with suitable devices to be presented to His Honor. If we may go inside and retrieve our bags."

"A good idea, gentlemen. Until tomorrow, then."

Following the two men inside she found Zakaros and Karan waiting for her.

"Mistress," Zakaros said, "We were expecting you to tell us more about the Garian numbers."

"Oh, yes, gentlemen. I was interrupted. Come this way into my office, we have a little time before we have to prepare for the evening meal."

* * *

"Lars tells me you were attended by two of the local artisans this afternoon, Ursula," Eriana remarked as they sat for their meal.

"Yes, Highness, and that was something I wanted to ask you about after we have eaten. I'll need Lord Kalmenar as well."

Her eyebrows rose. "Are you about to break some more rules, Ursula?"

"Probably, Highness, though I doubt this will put anybody in danger as a result. I'll explain after we have finished."

"As you wish, Ursula."

This time they gathered in Eriana's office, which was a little larger than the room Ursula had been using.

"Lars speaks of a strange eye-covering," the Princess began, "which reminded him that the God Odin was said to have but one eye. Shall you explain?"

"The devices are not for a God but for Lord Darkwin," Ursula explained. "The reason that the lenses were different colors was shortage of time since I made my original inquiry. They were just samples."

She explained fully why she had thought of sunglasses for Darkwin after her own experiences in the arena of the Shevesty field, and how she had asked the two men to devise something for her.

"Thus he would not be forever trapped in darkened rooms," Eriana mused. "A clever thought, but what brings us together tonight is that you seek to introduce a new device to Anmar, I deem, and you do not yet know the rules."

Ursula grimaced. "Unfortunately we are well past that stage, Highness. Those two men have taken a commission from me to fit the Count and by this time tomorrow they will have something he might be able to wear. There was talk of design licences and fees but, though I know such things exist, I know little more. My only experience is what happened in Joth."

Kalmenar asked, "Surely a single example of such a device will not cause much of a problem, Highness? Nobility often do things and wear things that the lower orders cannot, especially if it is for medical purposes."

"If I understand Ursula aright," Eriana responded, "there will be more than one such device involved. How many, Ursula?"

"The problem, My Lord," Ursula explained, addressing Kalmenar, "is that I told them that many people where I come from wear such devices to protect their eyes from the sun, even when their eyes function normally. Urjen and Abban have had the idea that, once his people see Count Darkwin wearing sunglasses, many will want a pair for themselves, which I suspect is correct. They estimate many hundreds of pairs in Faralan alone."

Eriana added, "We have seen the same in Palarand, My Lord, as you know. All Princess Garia had to do was to wear something or display a new device and there was at once an immediate clamor for more of the same. I can easily see the same happening here."

"But we are not in Palarand, Highness," Kalmenar argued. "If we were we could easily submit this new device to the King and he would tell us straight away if it should be permitted or not. Here, we must needs deal with... nobles... who know nothing about Ursula's origins and the dangers any new device might bring."

"Actually," Ursula disagreed, "Count Darkwin already knows that I come from another world, My Lord. There were... uh, medical reasons why it was necessary that he had to know. I should not say anything more to either of you since that information is covered by my healer's oath, but I think he will understand the problem of manufacturing sunglasses when I take the samples to him tomorrow."

"If he is ruler of this land then it should be safe enough to discuss such matters with him," Eriana mused. "Very well, Lord Kalmenar and I shall accompany you tomorrow. We attend the mansion in any event to have the formal treaty with the Federation signed."

"As you wish, Highness, but I should mention that Master Urjen and Master Abban will be coming with me as well. They do not know exactly where I come from, except that it is a 'distant land' where such devices as sun-glasses are well known."

"Then we must needs manage the meetings carefully."

"Of course, Highness. That brings me to the other reason I wanted to speak to both of you, which is that the two think that, assuming they get permission, they can begin to make sunglasses for anyone in Upper Fanir. Their problem is that, being artisans, they have no idea how to build or run a proper factory. You told me once that Palarand has factories, did I remember that right?"

Eriana's smile was warm. "Oh, aye! Princess Garia naturally introduced the idea as the only way that large quantities of anything could be made efficiently, but those of Palarand, especially two named Parrel and Fulvin, have turned her ideas into practical businesses, if I may use that term. I do not know every detail, that is not for me, but I have no doubt that between us Kalmenar and I can satisfy your two gentlemen."

"And if Count Darkwin is sitting there," Ursula added, "it is possible he could give permission for them to begin there and then."

Kalmenar asked, "Do you know what exactly they need to know, Mistress?"

"The usual things that happen when two men have an idea and want to do something about it, My Lord. How to form a company, find suitable premises, take on staff, obtain machinery, that sort of thing. Most importantly, perhaps, how to fund it! At the moment I do not think they have even heard of the word company, except in military terms."

"I see. Aye, I can lay out what is required for them, but of course I do not know the laws of Upper Fanir. The laws of Palarand had to be modified when Princess Garia began to change everything."

Eriana pointed out, "Then it will be as well that we will be meeting Count Darkwin tomorrow, My Lord. It should be possible to satisfy most if not all of these matters then."

* * *

Ursula turned over once more. It was dark and had been so for some time. In the other bed Tyra gently snored and Ursula wished she could be doing the same, but tonight sleep just would not come.

I know why I cannot sleep. It is warm but no warmer than last few days. It is possible that tonight may even be cooler than last night.

Eriana. I thought I knew my own desires but apparently I do not. Ever since... that encounter... I just want to do it again, to feel her perfect skin slide through my hands, to gaze into her eyes, to...

But I am fighting it, why?

Habit again. This would not be easy even if I did want to do it. Must. Break. Habit!

Normally, stubborn is good trait to have. Today, here, now, stubborn is anchor holding me back.

Privacy. Have held secrets for so long it is habit. Must. Break. Habit!

It is not just physical. We would make good couple. I hold her steady, she looks after me. What is problem?

Problem is stupid head. Must. Break. Habit!

~o~O~o~

"Mistress?"

Ursula was groggy. Not to mention unwilling to be awake. She groaned, "What?"

"Mistress, it is late and breakfast will soon be served! Kaldar has already been here asking for his medicine."

A flash of adrenalin blasted through her veins making her thoroughly and uncomfortably conscious. "What? Oh, no!"

She flung back the light cover and hauled herself upright, squinting against the glare of sunlight. Tyra saw this and moved to stand in front of her, blocking the direct glare. Her hands held underwear and a ship dress.

"Mistress, if you would dress, there is no time to bathe first. Mayhap you can do so afterwards."

"Yes, of course." She managed a smile at the maid. "You are not to blame but you could have tried harder to wake me. This is unusual."

It is! I do not remember oversleeping like this since too-long shift at hospital. Fortunately no-one here will dock pay for late arrival.

Must. Break. Habit!

"Mistress, I did try but you resisted."

"Oh. Thank you, Tyra."

With Tyra's help, Ursula was soon dressed and the two made their way out of their room. Tyra turned one way and Ursula the other.

"Mistress?"

"I can leave a wash until later but I do need to pee first. And wash my hands before handling food."

"Oh, of course, Mistress."

Relieved and at least partly clean, the two joined the others in the dining room, where the Norsemen were already assembling zurin rolls. Ursula made her way across to Eriana's table where that perfect body sat waiting. She tried to keep her expression from showing anything but it was difficult.

"Ursula, good morning." The Princess frowned. "Some problem today?"

"Just, uh, some after effects from the recent battle, Highness."

Eriana's look was sympathetic. "We understand. Sit down, a zurin roll will soon put you right."

Once they had taken the edge off their hunger, the Princess asked, "What plans have you this morning, Ursula? I trust it does not involve letting out more Earth secrets."

"Highness, all I did was to try and provide something that will help Count Darkwin. This morning I will probably be looking - again - at all the injuries of your men. I want to make sure that all their dressings are clean and the wounds are healing."

"Most are minor wounds, they have had them before."

"True, Highness, but we are all getting older and the damage builds up over time. Besides, there are three that have more serious wounds which I do need to check over carefully."

Eriana nodded. "Of course. Stine, with his leg, Haakon's head wound and Ragnar's arm. You will tell me what you find?"

"Of course, Highness. They are your men, after all." She added, "I do not think you have great cause for concern unless anyone's wounds become infected. That is more likely the warmer it becomes, I regret."

"Do you tell me? Of course, in Einnland, we never had many warm days the way they happen here. Why is that a problem?"

"The various bugs that cause infections grow more quickly the warmer it becomes. Fortunately the local salves and potions seem to keep things under control better than I expected."

Eriana smiled. "And we have someone who is an expert at administering them, I deem. Good, Ursula." The smile disappeared. "And now I must needs go and spend part of my morning writing letters. Call if you find any unusual problems."

With a bare nod to everyone at table, she stood and stalked out of the dining room. Ursula also stood and walked over to the table where Zakaros and Karan sat.

"Karan, I have need of you this morning to go through the wounds that everyone acquired during the battles." She remembered an earlier comment of Tyra's. "Oh, after I have given Kaldar his potions."

"As you wish, Mistress."

"Do you have anything to do today, Zakaros?"

"Mistress, Captain Tor asks me to help him check the stores on the Visund." He looked uncertain. "Will I be safe there with him?"

As Tor was seated at the same table, she swung to him and raised an eyebrow.

«Knows his business better than I do, Mistress,» Tor replied. «He wants experience with new numbers, he will get that today.»

«And he is safe with you and your men?»

«I guarantee it, Mistress. He is literate, a counter of numbers, he could be useful to the crew. I do not consider him an enemy any more but,» there was a grin, «it will be a while before we can make him a crewman. Besides, he can write much better than any of us can.»

Both Ursula's eyebrows rose. «You consider taking him on?»

A shrug. «We need more warm bodies, Mistress, and they need to be able to pull oars. Stine and Ragnar can't do that for now and I doubt that Stine will ever be able to pull an oar again.» A brief grin. «You women may be able to fight but none of you are big enough to properly row the Visund. That will always be a man's job.»

«I cannot disagree, Tor. Take him, then, see what he might be capable of for us.»

«Yah, Mistress.»

Ursula stood up and surveyed the room. «Listen, everyone! This morning I will be examining every injury any of you have had since we arrived at Faralan. I apologize if this interrupts anyone's plans. Stine, Ragnar, Haakon, I will attend you last, I think, as you will all require more of my attention. Any questions?»

Lars asked, «Mistress, we intended to go into the courtyard to do our Tai Chi. I realize now that would not be a good idea. Is there anything else we can do once you have seen us?»

«Whatever you all want to, Lars. Oh, there is one thing you might be able to do for me.»

«Mistress?»

«You went to a brewery the other day. Do you know if they make distilled spirits there?»

He looked confused. «Mistress?»

«Um. You ferment the grain or whatever as usual and then boil the result. The steam is collected in a long tube and cooled and the result is a concentrated drink. Sometimes this operation is done several times,» she explained.

He nodded. «Ah, yah, Mistress! They do that but what comes out is not to drink. I was told it is used to make glues and paints. You want me to fetch some for you, Mistress?»

«If it is possible, yes, just a bottle or so, please, Lars. It is a useful way of cleaning wounds, especially deep ones. I can also use it to clean my instruments when there is no boiling water available.» Ursula held up a clear glass bottle with two fingers of transparent liquid remaining inside. «This is all we have left. Do you want to have a smell? It should not harm you.»

He took the bottle and cautiously sniffed, recoiling at the tang of alcohol. Returning the bottle he smiled. «Smells the same as the stuff in the brewery did. I learn something new every day, Mistress. Do you want to look at my cuts first?»

«Might as well. Take a seat, please.»

* * *

«That cut goes right to the bone, Haakon. Fortunately it goes no deeper.»

«Yah, Mistress. I want to keep my brains where they belong. What will you do to it?»

«It has mostly stopped bleeding now so it is time to tidy it up and cover the wound. What I will do is to numb your scalp and then shave a strip either side of the cut. Once I have done that I will sew the wound shut so it lies flat. There will probably be a little more bleeding because of that but not for very long.»

«So I will have a scar but it will not get in the way when I comb my hair?»

«That's right. You will have to leave your hair without washing for three or four days and then handle it carefully, understand?»

«You take good care of me, Mistress. I will do as you ask. I will also ask when it is safe to wash or comb my hair.»

«Good.» Ursula turned and explained to Karan what she would be doing. "So I'll need that jar of hesp salve and the razor is already out."

"As you desire, Mistress." He looked apologetic. "I have learned more today than I learned in six months with Healer Hakarin. I must thank you again for permitting me to come with you."

"I could not let your own talent go to waste, Karan. That jar of hesp, please? Then I'll show you how to sew a skin cut so that it does not leave a ridge."

* * *

Ragnar made a sharp intake of breath.

«Oh, I'm sorry. With a break like this it would be difficult to make your arm sufficiently numb without knocking you out completely.»

«It is fine, Mistress. Was unexpected, that is all.»

«It was not fine, Ragnar. I try not to be cruel to my patients. If it hurts too much I will find something to give you. Now. The break appears to be clean and that means it should heal properly without any complications. I regret that you will have to have the arm in splints for two to four weeks.»

«That means I will not be able to practise, Mistress. What can I do to keep the rest of myself fit?»

«You can still use the one arm, you know. Raise and lower some weights, something like that. Make sure you do sufficient walking to keep your leg muscles and your blood circulation active. Maybe Captain Tor will find you something you can do that only involves one hand.»

Ragnar grinned. «Every man knows something to do with one hand, Mistress.»

She slapped him lightly on his good arm. «Men! You know what I meant. Now, keep still while I wrap that arm and then fix your splints.»

* * *

«It does not look good, Mistress.»

«I have seen worse, Stine, though nothing exactly like this before. Providing we can keep any infection out you should not lose the leg. You will probably walk with a limp the rest of your life, though.»

«I am delighted I can still draw breath, Mistress. A limp will be nothing.»

«Yes and no, Stine. You will not be able to run as you did before, you know. And rowing could be much harder. Rowing uses your leg muscles as much as it does your arm muscles.»

His expression became sober. «I did not realize that, Mistress. You are right, of course. There are other things I may still do for the Princess, though.»

«Yes - assuming that you let this leg heal properly. You are keeping the weight off it completely?»

«Yah, Mistress. Is very difficult to remember. Do you want me to go around in a chair with wheels?»

«That's an idea, but not so easy when you're back on the Visund. There would be even less room if you went on the Green Ptuvil, though. We'll think of something.»

«I trust you, Mistress. I will do whatever you say.»

«So, both sides of your wound need to be cleaned off. I'll let Karan do that, he needs the experience.»

«You trust him, Mistress? Even though he is a foreigner?»

«Stine, I am a foreigner! Or have you forgotten that?»

«You came from the mother world, Mistress,» was the simple reply. «You are no foreigner to us.»

* * *

"Do go in," Mistress Chara said to the visitors. "Lord Darkwin and Lord Olva are expecting you."

Eriana, as was her right, led the way. Ursula followed, then Tyra, Kalmenar, Urjen and Abban. Chara followed them, closed the door and then stood beside it in case any messages needed to be taken. The room was darkened, as Ursula had expected, but not as much as it had been when she visited previously. The two Counts sat at the further side of a big table along with Marshals Tevos and Vikzas. All stood as the visitors appeared, Darkwin with apparent difficulty.

"Greetings, friends," Darkwin said to the group. "Your Highness, Lord Kalmenar, welcome. Mistress Ursula, be welcome, though I do not know why you attend us today. Are you, perhaps, a witness for the signing?"

Eriana replied, "My Lord, Ursula cannot countersign any such treaty today, though presently I may not give you a reason. She attends for another purpose, which is to supply you with a medical device made by these two gentlemen from the town." She gestured to Urjen and Abban. "Providing you with such a device has thrown up questions which will require consideration by you, and by you, My Lord Olva, before we depart today. Since similar questions have recently arisen in Palarand, Lord Kalmenar and myself are here to provide any advice you may desire."

"Ah? Curious indeed. Then, perhaps, we had better attend to the treaty first. Please, all of you, be seated. Master Urjen, Master Abban, this ceremony will not take long and there is no reason why you should not take note of this historic event. Lord Kalmenar?"

"I have the document here, My Lord."

Kalmenar opened a bag and pulled out a rolled-up parchment. Since it was customary for such documents to take that shape, ornamental weights were already on the table to hold the corners down as he spread it flat in front of Darkwin. Darkwin bent and peered at the writing, attempting to make it out.

"This is just readable by me but it is not comfortable. Lord Olva, if I may trouble you to take the treaty near to that window and read it out to me? That will ensure that we all understand the contents."

"Of course, My Lord." Olva took the treaty to a nearby window and slowly read out the short document. "Are you content, My Lord? Is this what you desired for your lands?"

"It is, Olva, though this may be but the first of many changes to come to Upper Fanir. In front of these witnesses, do you agree to this action? Have you any objections or questions for Her Highness or Lord Kalmenar?"

Olva returned to the table and spread out the treaty again. "Darkwin, I may not be as enthusiastic about joining the Federation as you are but, like you, I do not see any sensible alternative. Yod's latest adventure has left Upper Fanir in a disturbed state and it was only by the presence in Faralan of those of the Federation that we are both still alive. I have no questions. By all means, let us sign."

Vikzas unstoppered a pot of ink and handed it and a freshly-cut reed to Darkwin. The Count bent and signed the treaty before handing the reed to Olva, who added his name beneath. The reed then went to Tevos before passing to Vikzas, who paused.

"Highness, as the most senior Federation official present, I deem that you should make the first witness to the treaty."

"As you wish, Marshal."

Eriana stood and walked around the table. Olva stood and pulled his chair away, making room for her to reach the treaty. She signed it, "Eriana, Princess of Palarand, for the Sirrel Federation," and underneath that she added, "First Director of the Navy of the Sirrel Federation." Vikzas then added his signature below as "Marshal of Marine Forces, Faralmark," and then, "Sector Director of Marine Forces, Faralmark, for the Sirrel Federation."

The final person to sign was Kalmenar, who also added the two dates previously agreed.

"I regret," Eriana remarked as she walked back around to regain her seat, "that there is yet no seal or device of the Federation that can be affixed to such documents as these. Kalmenar pointed out the lack to me last night when he wrote it and I have made the point in my latest letter to Robanar. The original treaty does not have any seals either, so this should not be taken as a sign that this document is not valid."

"As you say, Highness," Darkwin agreed. "I am content. What must we do now?"

Kalmenar answered, "My Lord, I will now, with the help of some of your own people, make fair copies of the treaty which may be used locally to satisfy any questions of a legal nature. The original, as was mentioned before, must needs begin a journey to be countersigned by as many other Federation members as possible, the minimum being three. One we have, that of Marshal Vikzas representing Faralmark. If I may suggest, it should be securely packaged and sent by Valley Messenger Service to Ferenis, where I believe Duke Gathol will be only too delighted to add his name. He will then send it further downriver."

"And it will eventually return to us?"

"Indeed, My Lord." Kalmenar thought then added, "Eventually is the appropriate word, you may not see this document again until some time next year. That is why other copies must needs be made."

Darwin considered this and then nodded. "I understand you, My Lord. A treaty between two countries is usually signed with both rulers meeting together, this may not be possible with so large an organization as the Federation spread over so many marks."

"Just so, My Lord."

"Then," Darkwin pronounced, looking at those around the table, "from this moment we must all consider that Upper Faral is now a member of the Sirrel Federation. I would ask my friends from Faralmark and Palarand officially for their help in quelling the insurrection."

Kalmenar objected. "My Lord, we may still offer such help as we did the other day but the insurrection is an internal matter for you, we must needs be wary of interfering. If we did not then it would never be possible to remove an unpopular or abusive ruler, since they would always ask for Federation help to maintain their position. The Federation exists to promote trade and for defense against external threats, not to keep an unworthy ruler in place against the wishes of his people."

Darkwin bowed. "I am corrected, My Lord. Still, your people have offered assistance already and I would not ask them to do much more." He glanced at Olva. "The forces loyal to us would appear to be sufficient to finish the argument, we merely ask for help securing areas of interest to the Federation, for example our docks and vessels."

Kalmenar started to speak but Eriana overrode him. "Kalmenar, if I may. Lord Darkwin, we will of course do as you ask since our own interests are at stake here. However, our numbers are small, we would not care to venture further from Faralan, say."

"As you say, Highness. Very well, we will continue as we are already doing, I deem. I am sure that Tevos knows when to call you or Vikzas should the circumstances require."

"Agreed, My Lord."

"Then, I deem, as the treaty is signed and witnessed -"

"Um," Ursula interrupted.

"Ursula? You have a question?"

"I do, Highness. Listening to the discussion about what the Federation can do in any of its member states makes me ask, is there some kind of Constitution to go along with these treaties?"

"Constitution?" Eriana echoed. There was puzzlement on the faces opposite. "What do you mean?"

"In all the lands I am familiar with each state has a set of rules or laws governing what it can or cannot do to its people or others," she began. All those in the room knew her origins. She continued, "There are a number of Federations, Unions and other groupings on Earth similar to the Sirrel Federation and each has something like a Constitution defining what responsibilities the overall group has and what each of the member states have. That may include things they are obliged to do or things they are forbidden to do. Is there not something similar here?"

Eriana looked at Kalmenar who shook his head. "Highness, I do not know of such a document, nor have heard anyone mention that idea, even Princess Garia. I desire to learn more."

"Nor have I heard of such a document, My Lord." She was flustered by the unexpected diversion. "Ursula, it seems we have overlooked something that sounds important, but it is not something that can be dealt with today, I deem. Do you consider that today's signing to be sufficient for the present? It is no different than what everyone else has signed."

"It is the important one, Highness. It shows Upper Fanir's intent to become associated with the Federation."

Eriana breathed a sigh of relief. "Then it is done. Mayhap we need further discussions before we write seeking help. If we may move on to the other business? That will not be so easy to deal with, I suspect, but at least it only involves Upper Fanir."

Darkwin raised a hand in assent. "By all means, Highness. I am disturbed by the notion of a missing document but I can see the need for one. That is not for today, however. If you would continue."

"As you wish, My Lord." Eriana turned to Ursula. "Since this is your idea, I think you should begin. Once Lord Darkwin is satisfied with his new device we can then consider the wider complications."

"Of course, Highness," Ursula agreed. "Master Urjen, can I have the frames, please? I want to explain to Lord Darkwin what they are and how they are used."

The two new frames did, indeed, fit Darkwin. Once the concept of testing different lenses to find out which would suit him best was explained, the two moved nearer to the window to try out the different varieties.

"I am impressed, Mistress. I can look out of this window with no pain at all! The blue hue does make everything look strange to my eyes but I assume that this is what happens?"

Of course he can see perfectly well without the glasses but he has to keep up the charade. If the sun becomes much brighter he will need sunglasses anyway, whether he is Darkwin or his alter ego.

Which is a thought! Women are going to want these as much as their menfolk do. Especially if they ever see Orlet wearing a pair!

"It is, My Lord, but you will soon become used to it. Some colors suit different people better than others and of course you may need to step outside to test them in full sunlight."

"Mistress, as you know my legs are weak. Walking will be difficult."

Ursula silently cursed her blunder. "Apologies, My Lord, I forgot. However, you may be outside part of the time however you get there. Can we try these other lenses now?"

"Of course, Mistress."

There were red, green and yellow lenses which Darkwin thought were too uncomfortable to see through and Ursula silently agreed. Two kinds of blue lenses, a gray pair and a brown pair were more successful.

"These will take some time to become used to, Mistress, but I feel that any one of these four colors will be suitable." He turned. "Thank you, Master Urjen, for the frames and thank you, Master Abban, for your skill in blowing flat lenses for me. If I may ask Master Urjen, just this once, to make me four frames, one for each of these colors. I may then test them at my convenience to see which will be the most suitable."

Urjen stood and bowed. "Done, My Lord. I have enough silver rod on hand to make two frames within two days, the other two should be done within a week."

While this had been happening Eriana had been thinking. "My Lord, you may have need for those sun-glasses very soon."

"Highness?"

"If Ursula is right, then I can see the need for rulers of all lands within the Federation to meet in order to agree what this Constitution should demand of each of us. It is not, I deem, a matter which can be managed without all being present. That means that you, personally, must needs travel downriver to wherever the meeting would be held. I suspect that somewhere like Ferenis or Forguland would likely be chosen to avoid some being required to make long journeys."

Ursula saw that Darkwin was becoming disturbed. "Highness," he replied, "I agree with your sentiment but until this rebellion is defeated I doubt that I could travel so far from my lands."

What I think he really means it that he would be exposed to many other people and it will be harder to keep up the act. Not to mention the fact that he would be trapped as a male until he returns. How does he explain the absence of Orlet while he is away? He can hardly take her with him... can he?

Eriana waved a dismissive hand. "My Lord, it will be several weeks at least for word to travel the length of the Sirrel and for a meeting place to be agreed, let alone for all those who must needs attend to travel there. I doubt not that the situation in Upper Fanir will be resolved by then."

"Of course, Highness. I had not considered the timing in any detail. What must we do?"

"Why, I must needs write yet another letter to Robanar this evening. I think I will also write letters to the other rulers who were there to make sure they understand the problem before us." She grimaced. "My poor writing hand! Kalmenar, since all these letters must needs be very like, I assume that you will be able to help in this task."

"As you command, Highness. It is a pity, perhaps, that printing has not yet made its way west, nor yet a typewriter."

Darkwin asked, "What is this?"

Eriana said with a smile, "Yet more marvellous devices to make our work easier, My Lord. But we divert you from your present task, which is to consider sun-glasses. Are you content?"

"I am content with what Mistress Ursula provides, Highness, but earlier you spoke of related matters."

"Indeed." She gestured. "Now, these two gentlemen consider that, once your people see you, and mayhap others of your household, wearing the glasses, they will also desire to partake of this fashion. Let us speak, then, of how this can be done."

* * *

In her lightweight night attire, Ursula flopped backwards onto her bed. It had been another long day.

"Mistress?"

"Oh, nothing,Tyra," she sighed. "I am just amazed at everything that has happened to us since we left Joth... and maybe even before then! Remember those giant grakh? I never imagined that I could be doing anything like this! It all seems like a dream."

"It is no dream, Mistress, at least not from where I am sitting. We have had many adventures, I will agree, and I have seen things I would never have believed. But that is life, no-one knows what the next day may bring. Remember, before you came to Joth my family and I were tossed out of the city by those of Yod, wearing nothing but what we stood in. Now at least we have the ear and the trust of rulers and Marshals, with men beside us who would fight for us to the death if need be."

"Hmm. At least that has not happened yet, although we have come close a time or two. You are right, Tyra, I should not complain. I just hope everything will calm down once we leave Faralan and we have a peaceful voyage to our next destination."

"As you say, Mistress. Shall you get properly into bed?"

"Nag." Ursula pulled herself onto the bed and spread the light covering over her lower half. "There, satisfied?"

"Your welfare is my first concern, Mistress. Now I am satisfied. Good night, Mistress."

"Good night, Tyra."

up
153 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

a constitution

could be tricky to navigate, but it is a good idea.

DogSig.png

Realistically, there's at

Realistically, there's at least one group of people that will fall all over themselves to get 'sunglasses', although in the form of goggles.

No, I'm not talking about welders - that's already happening. I'm talking about Einnlanders and those in similar mountainous regions, like where Eriana and her thugs... crew, pushed through to free the fortress.

Snow blindness is a real thing. (And on the water, as well)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

now who of the party would

now who of the party would know to suggest a vertical press and float glass? I'm going to guess Eriana, as part of her education on her new home?

Never enough Healers

BarbieLee's picture

In a world where there are so many who want what the next neighbor has, war along with wounds, death is inevitable. Ursula will never have enough time nor enough medical supplies to take care of all those in her care. Karan along with several dozen more are needed to follow Eriana and Ursual as action seems to be a large part of their research of the countries beyond Palamar.
Hugs Miss Lane
Barb
Have fun with life, it's too short to take it seriously. I know God has a sense of humor, she made me.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Sunglasses

So now it starts. Ursula will now be collecting royalties for all the new products related to healthcare, safety etc.

She is not a subject of Palarand (yet) so she is a free agent as far as what knowledge she will provide so that puts more pressure on her to decide what is 'safe' and what is not. Fortunately for her field there are less likely to be world ending knowledge she can accidentally reveal.

Where to send the royalties, an accounting staff etc will be needed in each country which in turn needs to be managed. She needs staff, just like Garia has.

Next step, polarized lenses.

Royalties

I might as well call them that, they are the nearest Earthish equivalent.

For now it should not be a problem. Ursula has the local rulers doing the collecting for her. As each country will usually already have a system in place for existing design licenses like hers, it will all probably go into a pot in each local treasury for now. Given the kinds of devices she has produced so far, there shouldn't be too much pilferage :)

What to do with the funds? As yet I have not considered that problem. The amounts Joth is keeping would probably be enough to fund Ursula for a while should she decide to stay there but, given the current plotlines, that isn't likely. Watch this space, as they say, for further details.

Presently I have other fish to fry. The situation in Faralan should resolve itself and then our crews will head for Pakmal where... That would be telling, wouldn't it? Just don't expect anything to go smoothly!

Penny

Well banking should help,

Well banking should help, both with moving the money where needed and currency exchange, as for what to do with it, she could either sit on it (unlikely and unhelpful) or reinvest it, either back into the same products or into other products.

To me, it seems pretty

To me, it seems pretty straightforward. Considering her background, she's likely to want most of the money to go to fund healthcare development, with enough set aside for her when she happens to be in the area of collection. At the bottom end, low cost treatment works to keep the problems small. At the top end is where the real costs accrue, both for the individual and for a society. If she can fund the bottom end enough to make it more available, then everyone wins.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

low end

well there you have eye care, (its only a matter of time before they decide to grind corrective lenses out of both tinted and optically clear glass for those frames), vaccination, and refined pharmaceuticals-pretty sure she'd like having more control than the herbal "potions" she has access to provide.

Typewriter?

What's next? A printing press?

well they did have the first

well they did have the first working prototypes for the typewriter when Garia and royals visited the Print works for the first time.