The Adventures of Jamie Potter: Bunny Girl Jamie (2)

Printer-friendly version

The Saturday morning of the convention dawned bright and clear, the forecast for that morning though was cloudy with a chance of rain in the afternoon. The digital clock on my car read six o' clock in the morning. And the traffic report said that the road was clear and everything was moving smoothly. In short everything seemed to be going my way. And so, with my spirits soaring like a bird, I pulled out of the driveway and aimed my car south toward Jackson. After a brief stop at Church's Chicken for two sausages and biscuits and Double Quick to top off the gas I was on my way. 

As I drove down Highway 49, my mind started to wonder a little. Here I was sixteen years old, and about to attend my first anime convention. My tongue tasted adventure and that faint taste sent goosebumps up and down my skin. And most of all this would be my first time really being 'Jamie' on my own. I mean I roamed around Benton, I roamed around Yazoo City, heck I even roamed around Vicksburg. But I always had somebody there with me, I was always part of a pack. When I traveled with the other cheerleaders to far away games, I was part of a team. When I went shopping in the mall, I was part of a pack of other girls. Some like me were Transgender.

But here I was, driving just five miles under the posted speed limit down Highway 49, passing various road memories that dotted the road, a sobering reminder to drive safety and of my own morality, but most of all I was alone. Lily had decided that this was something I needed to do on my own. Madeline, my best friend, was down with a cold, she always seems to catch at least one cold a season. And mom and dad were in far away Memphis.

But that's okay, I'll be going to college soon. I'll be on my own soon. I needed to get used to this. I needed to experience this sense of freedom. And so I turned the car's air conditioner off and rolled down the window and allowed the wind to blow through my hair. I was now in the rural countryside, passing broken stone walls, grown up house places, fields, and junk yards full of rusting out cars.

Thirty minutes into my driver and I was passing through the sleepy village of Flora. Flora was half the size of Benton. And in a way if you blinked you missed it. Up next was the tiny hamlet of Pocahontas, Pocahontas was nothing more than a collection of shops and houses that were all clustered on one side of the railroad. Their main claim to fame was a small barbecue place called Big D's tepee BBQ, the tang line was that the barbecue was so good it stopped the train. 

Anyway, twenty more minutes I was driving into the heart of Jackson, the downtown area. You see, the anime convention was to be held at the Mississippi Trade Mart, a shiny building that was located right across from the Mississippi Coliseum. It was located on the state fairgrounds.  When I'd been driving a solid hour and a quarter when I finally found a space to park. My heart was racing. Taking a deep breath I parked the car and climbed out. Releasing that breath I tossed the bag that held the costume over my shoulder and started to walk across the tarmac. 

I still had something of an hour left before the convention took place at eight, plenty of time to slip into my costume and get ready. I felt my heart starting to race again as I pushed open the door and stepped into the blessed air conditioned space. I waved my con badge along with my ID to the guard who allowed me to pass. Quickly I found the nearest bathroom and after fifteen minutes I'd managed to slip on the costume.  I was once more bunny-girl Jamie.

With little less than an hour to kill before the con really kicked off I started to roam around. A steady stream of guest, and fellow con-goers started to trickle in. And I'm flattered to say the sight of a wild bunny girl caused them to stop and peer at me. I of course flashed them my best cheerleader smile and even offered to pose with some.

Now before I go on, I want to say something, Mississippi is not the desert wasteland most people make it out to be. The media does a horrible job showing the good side of my native state and an excellent job of showing the horrible side. Yes, we have issues, major issues that we need to work on. Yes, the state as a whole seems to almost cling to its Jim Crow past. Yes it seems to cling to the lingering memory of its Confederate roots. But there, at that convention I saw a different part of Mississippi. 

The Mississippians that I saw there had come out together to celebrate not just anime. But Geekdom as a whole. As the trickle of people became a flood, I saw people dressed up as Batman, some dressed up as Superman, some dressed as Wonderwoman. Comic book geeks, manga geeks, steampunk geeks, wrestling geeks. It was not so much an anime convention as it was a celebration of all things Otaku. 

And yes there were Sailor Moons, Sailor Mars, Lady Bugs, and of course there were guys running around dressed as maids and wearing Sailor Fuku. It was cute, I mean I really admired the courage of those guys who came out, some you could tell were doing it for the shock value, while on the other hand some had made an effort to pass as female. Of course on the other side of the coin you had girls cosplaying as guy characters. It was different.. a totally different world. I felt like Alice, who after chasing after the white rabbit had found herself in wonderland.

I think the most odd thing I saw that day was a Steam Punk Confederate Soldier.. So I guess we have some History buffs attending the con, and nobody blinked. Nobody freaked out. They were just there, roaming around the crowded convention floor in their gray tunic with a bunch of odd looking metals pinned to the front. They looked as lost as a lamb in a slaughterhouse. A totally normal reaction if you ask me.

After an hour or two of roaming around the busy convention scene I noticed I was leaving one area and entering into another. It was a subtle change, at first you noticed an increase of kiosks. These small open air booths and carts sold a variety of things. Read to wear Cosplay's still on the hanger, trinkets, anime inspired novelty items, and of course the classic plastic figurines of anime characters. It reminded me of a Middle East Bazaar in its own way.

As I browsed the tables and picked my way through the narrow paths, I could not help but smile, there were treasures here that rustic anime fans like me could only dream of owning. But, alas my costume did not have pockets, nor did I have the foresight to bring a purse along with me. My phone, bank card,  house keys, car keys, cash, and change of clothing were stashed in a rented locker toward the front of the convention center. Anyway, I was here to be seen and to model, not buy.

So with that in mind I left that one area of the convention, I soon found myself in another area, I think this area must have been the fable artist alley part of the convention. I was amazed to see how many area artists and writers had come out to support the convention. But I wanted more, I wanted to see more, I wanted to make memories. I wanted to come out of my shell. You might not believe me when I say this, but I'm really an introvert. Sure I'm a cheerleader, but that is only because my older sister Lily pushed me into it. Sure I've been crowned Homecoming Princess and Mardi Gras Princess before, but that was just blind luck. Sure I'm Head Maid at our town's Southern inspired Maidcafe but that is just because of my older sister.

So, sitting there, posing as best as I could while others seemed to pause and admire my body, I knew I had to decide, should I drift alone and enjoy the convention. Be the person looking inside from a window frame? Or should I take a deep breath and jump into things?

Releasing my deep breath I decided that I'll join the crowd. There had to be some panel I could volunteer for? I'd mean I'd volunteered for enough things in my life to know that there is always somebody looking for a willing somebody. Then out of the corner of my eye I caught sight of a girl. Okay I'm going to assume she was a girl, I was still getting used to the vibe of the anime convention. Anyway this girl had long, blue hair and was dressed in a pink Sailor Fuku.

“Hey! Excuse me!” She said waving her hands around. “But I need a favor!” She called out.

I blinked and blinked again as I turned around and peered toward the girl.

“Okay this is totally insane, but me and a group of friends are trying to gather up some cosplayers to help with a game of 'Cosplay Chess' and right now we really need volunteers.” She said blushing as she rushed up to. “Also FYI I love your costume girl. Totally rocking the bunny girl look.” She said, smiling sweetly.

I'm not going to lie, I was a little taken back by the forwards of the girl. But I smiled a little. 

“Thanks.” I said, pushing a strand of blonde hair behind my ear. “And sure, I would love to volunteer. But first could you maybe tell me a little more about the event? This is kind of my first anime convention. And I'm totally lost.” I said, forcing a giggle as I started to blush.

“Oh no problem!” The girl said, smiling. “Like me and my club putting on this game of  Cosplay Chess, its pretty much like Chess but with various cosplayers acting as the pieces. I mean since your the bunny-girl of the group you could the queen.” She said smiling. She then added, “If you want too that is, no pressure at all.”

At that moment a little light bulb above my head lit up. This was just the thing I'd been hoping for! Smiling, I reached out and took the girl's hand and then without thinking I gave a little squeeze.

“Sure! I'll love to volunteer!” I said smiling, I'm sure my smile reached from one ear to the other. It was the girls turn to blink now. 

“Okay cool! In about half an hour could you go to the big ballroom on the second floor? Just look for the door that has 'Cosplay Chess' written on a slip of paper, it should be taped to the center of the door. Once you get in, flash your con badge and tell them Melody sent you!” 

And with that the girl bounced away! Off to find more hopeful recruits I guess. Anyway that is how this chapter ends, and with thirty minutes to go, I guess I best try to find that room. Wish me luck, I'll keep you guys informed. 

up
60 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos