The Story of a Reluctant Southern Belle (14)

Printer-friendly version

Greenville, Mississippi had a total population of some fifty thousand souls all nestled along the banks of the Mississippi River. The town was a thriving river port, and could boost a thriving downtown district that was lined with all kinds of shops. It also had a mall, a pretty good mall. Not as big as say North Park the second biggest enclosed shopping space in Mississippi or the Metro Center Mall, who claimed the title as the biggest and best enclosed shopping mall. But it was the only mall in the region.

The town was also the seat of power for the Percy family. The Percy family ruled over the Mississippi Delta like it was their personal fiefdom. And they had good reason too. It had been the Percy family who had transformed the Delta from a huge swampland into an agricultural empire. The family was a family of planters, lawyers and cunning businessmen. And their law firm Percy and Walker was one one of the best law firms one could find in the Delta.

This fact was not lost on me as I and aunt Cat were ushered into the private office of Roy Percy. Roy was a tall man, with salt and pepper colored hair and blue eyes that seemed hard as steel. He had a slender frame that reminded me of a railroad rail. He was dressed in a tailored three piece suit and he seemed deep in thought as he flipped the papers in front of him.

“I see.” Roy said, taking a deep breath as he leaned back in his high back leather chair. “When Sidney phoned me, saying that he needed my help. I thought that temper had finally gotten him into some real trouble. I was preparing for a real fight. Instead I got a bigger fight that I was hoping for.” He said as he then leaned toward me.

“So tell me again. Hailey from the start how all this happened.” He said as he locked his ice blue eyes with mine.

“Well about a month ago. My aunt asked me to model a dress for her for a painting. She a painter.” I said as I looked down. I felt small, like a little girl who had been caught with her hands in the cookie jar before dinner and had been hauled into her fathers office to explain herself.

“I'm very much aware of that.” He said. “I know your aunt is a painter. I own several of her paintings. She is really famous down in New Orleans. I've seen some of her prints for sale in Vicksburg and in Jackson too. Anyway, you were asked to model this dress and then what?” Roy's voice was cold and void of emotions.

“It felt like a switch had been thrown. The next thing I remember was my aunt was fawning over me. She snapped a picture and posted it on Facebook. And well things kind of snowballed. Some of her friends And before I knew it, Hailey was here to stay.” I said blushing. I was very self conscious at that moment of how I was dressed. I had decided on a simple, blue dress with long sleeves, white stockings and black dress shoes. Overly formal yes, but it was the most formal dress aunt Cat and I could find in the closet. I had worn my hair down that morning too, because a high ponytail, my favorite style, might come across as too casual. A nice touch had been a simple, matching bow in the back of hair. Aunt Cat said I looked perfect, perfectly demure and that was a good thing. Because right now my future depended on Roy Percy signing all these papers.

What were the papers you might ask? Government forms that needed to be filled out so I could get my name legally changed from “Casper” to “Hailey” and get a new state issued birth certificate and social card. Then we could set about getting my driver's permit updated and state ID too. There was still the question of my transcript from my old high school. I'm sure I'll need to present that when aunt Cat and uncle Sidney enroll me in Sharkey-Issaquena Academy this autumn.
“I see.” He said taking a deep breath. “Have you seen anybody?” He said leaning back in his chair again.

“No.” I said, taking a deep breath. “The Warren-Yazoo Mental health center just shrugged their shoulders and said their backlog was too much and signed what they needed to sign.” I said, taking a deep breath. “The woman at the front desk just muttered something about me wasting their time and money and took the papers and had them signed and handed them back to me without so much as a thank-you or have a good day.”

“You live in Yazoo County then?” Roy Percy said. As he flipped through the papers again.

“Yes, in Scarborough's Landing.” I said as I smoothed out my skirt.

“I see, I've passed through Sharbrough's Landing once or twice. It's a picture perfect Delta town. One dusty street, lined with small mother and father owned shops. A PB gas station. A small general Store. A few other minor businesses. I was surprised to see that the town also had a nice size public library and could boost of having an Episcopal, Methodist and Baptist Church.” He said. He then added kind of as an after thought. “And considering its size they even have a small, yet thriving Roman Catholic community.”

I nodded my head.

“Okay lets get down to brass tacks.” He said, taking a deep breath. “Do you intended to live the rest of your natural life as a woman?” He said as he peered toward me.

I took a deep breath and nodded my head.

“Yes.”

“You are aware that beyond a few small islands. Or very large islands. Most of the state will look upon you as a freak show. The state is changing. But change is slow coming. We have removed the Confederate battle flag from the state flag. We have finally introduced a lottery into the state to fund our roads and public schools. And after much back and forth bickering the Medical Cannabis Act was signed into law. So the tide has turned.” Roy said, taking a deep breath.

“Yes.”

“Are you also aware that the private school, your aunt and uncle wish to send you too. Can legally refuse to enroll you and there is nothing that can be done. Your uncle might have some say so over what happens in the surrounding countryside of Sharbrough's Landing. And he might have some power over what happens in the surrounding hamlets. But beyond that he is utterly powerless. Even here in Washington Country, the home of the Percy Family our power is shirking.”

“Yes..”

“Very well then.” He took a deep breath and sighed. And handed them back to me. Here you go, Hailey Sharbrough. Everything should be in order now. Mind you these papers only open the door to getting your name changed. You'll need to appear before a judge in Yazoo City to get the final seal. Just show up like you did today and I'm sure you will be fine.

“Thank you sir.” I said as I took the papers. And gently placed them in the folder. I then took the folder and placed it in my backpack. I then zipped the backpack tight and smiled a little. One step at a time I guess. Aunt Cat who had remained silent for the most part nodded her head. She seemed to be deep in thought.

“I have a friend in Yazoo City, his name is John Sharp Williams he's well connected with the legal machine there. He and I tend to hunt together from time to time. I'll give him a call this afternoon and tell him you'll be paying him a visit. I'll also tell him that I'll consider it a personal favor if he will guide you along the system without much fanfare” Roy Percy said with a small smile.

“Thank you sir.” I said, smiling a little. Any help at this point would be welcome. After that aunt Cat and I rose up from our seats and I went to shake his hand. But he then held his hand up and took a deep breath.

“Before you two ladies go. I need to offer you some advice. And this is off the books.” He said as he shifted his weight around in his leather chair. It took him a few minutes before he settled down and then he drew in a deep breath and peered toward Aunt Cat and I.

“A word of advice. The sheriff of Yazoo County is a man named Thomas Lee Vaughan. I've heard some things about him. He's not fond of people like you. And he makes a point to employee deputies that share his political views and also belong to local Lodge.” He said, taking a deep breath. “What I'm trying to say, without saying it directly, but I guess I must. Be aware that the law machine of Yazoo County is under the direct control of a man who despises people like you.” He said, sighing.

“So be mindful of how you act. Obey all laws and don't give anybody any trouble. Just some friendly advice.” He paused and then took another deep breath he said. “I have heard stories that Thomas Lee Vaughan is famous for making people vanish without a trace. He uses his connection with the local Masonic Lodge to cover his tracks. He also hunts and fishes with a man named Walker Stoner who has a childhood grudge with your uncle.” He paused. And then as an afterthought he added. “He and Walker Stoner belong to the same deer camp and the same fishing camp. They are also Masonic brothers and belong to the same lodge that based out of Yazoo City.” 

Aunt Cat and I exchanged looks and nodded our heads.

“Okay ladies if there is anything else I can do for you. Feel free to give my phone a ring.” He said as he stood up and offered his hand across the wooden desk.

I likewise stood up and reached out and took his offered hand and gently shook it. A few moments later my aunt Cat shook his hand and with that out of the way we were shown the door. As we exited his office I happened to look over at his secretary. His secretary was a woman who seemed to be around thirty years old, she had honey blonde hair and jade green eyes. A slim figure too. Her phone was out on her desk and she seemed to be sending somebody a text. She must have felt me gazing at her because she looked up and the moment she laid eyes on me she slipped her phone into her purse and gave me a bone chilling smile.

“You two ladies have a nice trip now.” She said smiling as she returned to her text. “Be careful on your way back home.” She added as an afterthought. Aunt Cat and I exchanged a glance but said nothing and with that we made our way out of the office, down the wooden flight of stairs and soon we were standing on the concrete sidewalk of downtown Greenville.

“Well that one chore out of the way.” Aunt Cat said to me with a little smile. “Next up, we need to hit up the mall. I don't know about you girl. But I could do with a little retail therapy right about now.” She said smiling as she reached over and took me by the hand. “Then we can get a bite of dinner and head home. I'm sure Uncle Sidney can handle feeding himself for one day.”

“Sounds great!” I said smiling as I followed aunt Cat back toward the car. And so the first part of our day was over and another one was about to begin.

up
91 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Roy Percy

Dee Sylvan's picture

Seems like an honest, forthright lawyer (oxymoron?). Hopefully his warning of the the yahoo sheriff of Yazoo is not a foreshadowing of future events, but what about the secretary? A coincidence? Time will tell. Hailey is on a long and winding road that Mrs. Stoner gave a little kickstart to. Aunt Cat and uncle Sidney are formidable allies, but there are dark clouds in the horizon. Can't wait for more. :D

DeeDee

I'm thinking that text the

I'm thinking that text the secretary was sending isn't a good thing.

I’m willing to bet that the text…….

D. Eden's picture

The secretary was sending was to that Sheriff in Yazoo County - especially after her comment about having a nice trip. Also, not good that Walker Stoner is friends with the Sheriff.

Unfortunate there are still plenty of places like Yazoo County, and plenty of people like the Sheriff.

Somehow I get the feeling that this trip will not end well. Perhaps their little shopping trip and dinner will throw the timing of any ill begotten plans off. I would not be surprised if Hailey and her Aunt end up in trouble though.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Are Both Shoes?

joannebarbarella's picture

About to drop with a resounding thud?