Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 3383

Printer-friendly version
The Weekly Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 3383
by Angharad

Copyright© 2023 Angharad

  
023_0.JPG

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
~~~~~~~~~

The rest of Sunday went quietly on, I surreptitiously gave the bigger girls their bars of chocolate and at last, I seemed to have pleased someone. I'd also sent some money via bank transfer to Julie and Phoebe and also to Jacquie. They sent me texts to say thank you, obviously telling me they had received it in a roundabout way.

The weather was up and down after Easter and being a school and university holiday, I had time off but I also had children under my feet the whole time and I while I understood how it was my fault they were there, it still cramped my style more than a bit.

We did things as a family, for a day or so then Simon had to go back to work. He seems to work about 360 days a year, rarely takes time off and seems to think the planet will stop when he does. I tried to remind him that it was more likely while he was in work because much of his profits came from destruction of the natural world. He went all sullen on me after that and we parted on not good terms, him to London and me staying here. I must admit that possibly I had been a little tough on him but I wasn't going to take back what I had said, we might be the greenest bank, but we still had loads of shares in oil companies and other planetry agents of destruction.

After he had left on Easter Monday, a bank holiday, Danni saw me in my study and came and put her arm around me, "You feeling a bit down?" she asked me.

"I always say the wrong thin to Simon, I wait for weeks to see him, then he causes me a problem with his over-enthusiastic lovemaking and with you kids and Easter chocolate and I then criticise his business ethics. It was uncalled for and I wish I'd kept my mouth shut."

"Let's go watch a film," she said, "and eat some chocolate."

"I'd have thought you would have eaten yours by now."

"Oh, I have," she joked, "I meant let's eat yours."

"I didn't buy any for me, sorry kiddo."

"Yeah, well we put in a few quid and bought you one, it's in the lounge, come and see it." So it was, a large gold-wrapped Easter egg. We all sat down and had chocolate and watched a weepie together and enjoyed it so much we all cried buckets.

Then after chasing the younger girls to bed, Danni and I just sat closely together on the sofa. "Thank you," I said quietly to her.

"Glad we could give you something back, you give us so much and all we do is take. I felt it was time we gave you something back." She hugged me before I could say anything. I admit I was close to tears and some wet stuff trickled down me cheek while we embraced, I loved these girls so much.

"I take my test next month," she casually mentioned, "and you did promise me the old Jag."

"I didn't, but I tell you what," I whispered to her.

"What?" she replied full of anticipation.

"If it's still in my possession when I die, then you can have it with my blessing."

"Huh," she said almost angrily, "You as good as said I could have it."

"I didn't say when, besides, it's too powerful for a learner driver, it takes years of practice to drive safely and young drivers are prone to speed which is why their insurance is sky high."

"Yeah, but by the time you die, I'll be too old to enjoy it if there's any petrol left?"

"I expect there will be and you'll still enjoy driving it. That car was given to me by someone special, who I didn't appreciate until it was too late. The car reminds me and also that he rebuilt much of that car himself, it was his baby and he gave it to my custody. When you are old enough to appreciate it fully, that car remains mine and will be kept in mothballs, except when I want to remember Mr Whitehead and his attempts to protect me from the Murrays of this world."

"Well, I knew him too and I'm sure he wouldn't mind me driving it, I'd look after it,"

"I know you knew him and I don't care if he minded or not, I am not going to give you his old car. I've told you, you can have a runabout when you pass your test, but that's all. You need to get the miles in controlling an ordinary car before you aspire to a powerful one like the Jaguar."

"You've got two and I haven't any, even Julie has one."

"She was happy with what we gave her it's only you who doesn't seem to be."

"Is that because I'm really a boy?"

"Are you, most boys are happy just to have a set of wheels."

"Huh, we're one of the richest families in Europe, so we can afford it."

"I tell you what, I'll buy you an old Jaguar but you have to insure it yourself."

"Yey," she shouted punching the air. Kissed me and went off to bed unaware that insurance on a powerful car for a young newly-qualified driver, was more than the car cost. She was going to have a shock.

Early the next morning I spoke to the little man who did our repairs and explained my dilemma. He was shocked that Danni should have my old Jag and again offered me thousands. I declined his very kind offer but asked if there was anyone he knew who had an old jag for sale and could I borrow it. I explained how Danni was going to have to insure it herself but I needed an actual car for her to get quotes. He promised to ring me back. I was going to mention that I would buy it if she could insure it but he rang off.

An hour later as I was eating some toast and reading a scientific journal, he rang back. He gave me the number of the owner and told me that the car was in good order as he had serviced it a few months past. I spoke to the owner who listened to what I had to say and agreed to my promise to buy it if Danni could raise the insurance cost.

He brought it over and it was in very good condition. It was an old Jaguar X-type with a two-litre diesel engine, he wanted five thousand for it because it had an hundred and twenty thousand miles on the clock. I drove it for a little distance and liked it immediately. I agreed to buy it there and then. We shook on it and off he went and I went to my bank account and transferred the money to his account. I couldn't wait for Danni to come back, she was off training at Bournemouth and still required a taxi to take and collect her, but she was earning a regular income so she could pay for the insurance if she had saved enough.

She came home for a late lunch and immediately notice the strange car in the drive. "Who is visiting?" she asked.

"No one, why?"

"There's a strange car in the drive."

"Is there, show me." She led me to the back door and pointed out the dark blue Jaguar contrasting with my white one.

"Oh, that's the Jaguar I promised to buy you when you passed your test."

"Oh wow, Mummy, it's fantastic." She dragged me down the drive and we had to go back for the keys, then she sat in the driver's seat and look around her in pure wonder, I felt rotten about the insurance trick I was going to play on her. She looked at the engine and at the boot, which was capacious, and at the spare wheel and the jack. "Can I drive it?" she asked excitedly.

"Not until you insure it and you also need L plates."

"Can't we do it on your insurance, just for me to see how it goes?"

"You're not on my insurance, so you can't drive it and we still need L plates."

"Oh bugger!" she exclaimed and ran back into the house and straight to the phone book. I went to my study as she began calling insurance brokers. Half an hour later she came into me with tears running down her face, "They want five thousand a year for me to drive that car, and that's just third party."

"Oh dear, that would mean that my old Jag would be even more."

"I asked them, It would be between seven and ten grand. Oh, it's so unfair, I'm either persecuted because I am a transwoman and now I'm persecuted just because I'm young."

"There is some advantage in being a woman, a boy in your position would be charged even more."

"Oh, I'm so glad having my balls cut off was for a good reason," she said ladling on the irony.

"It could be worse, they could have cut your head off."

"Ha, bloody ha, if they had at least I wouldn't be in this hell now."

"Is life that bad?" I asked her.

"Did they give you any idea what an ordinary car was?"

"Yeah, if I had a little Peugeot or a mini it would be about two and a half thousand for third party or about three and half for comprehensive. It's so unfair."

"I tried to tell you it was expensive, but neither Daddy nor I want a new young driver on our insurances."

"Why? I'm hardly going to be racing am I?"

"I hope not, but young drivers have more than their share of accidents which is why the premiums are so high. And I'm not suggesting you will race or go mad but lack of experience often causes dangerous situations and collisions to occur."

"Compared to you my reflexes are faster, my eyesight is better and I'm less likely to fall asleep."

"Hoy, I'm still young too you know, not some geriatric old fuddy-duddy and I have twenty years safe driving behind me."

"Yeah, like some geriatric old fuddy-duddy," she laughed.

"Speak to Daddy after dinner, what's David cooking?"

"Beef something or other looked like stew."

"Okay, talk to Daddy after he's finished work, he might be able to get you something a bit cheaper."

"I think I might have to sell my Jag," she sobbed and ran off to her room.

I did try to tell you it was a hard world out there, I said to myself, it's a pity but youngsters do have more accidents and she plays football like a boy, for all I know she may well drive like one too. If she takes it to Uni she will have to pay for parking and it will drink the juice in all that traffic, mine does and I have a more modern engine albeit twice the size of hers. However, I have to show some tough love here because she isn't coming on my insurance and I'm sure Simon will say the same.

I rang him at his office. He was busy but did listen and I told him the saga. "What the hell did you buy her a Jaguar for?"

"That was what she wanted."

"Wanted sex but I didn't get it," he made a dig at me.

"That is another issue, I promised to get her a Jaguar and it is in very good condition and it is one of the lesser models."

"It's still a Jag and they load it on because so many drivers are complete maniacs."

"I know, especially youngsters."

"Why can't she go on your insurance?"

"Same reason I can't see you adding her to yours."

"Fair enough, leave it with me, I have to go."

"Thank you, Simon, just act surprised when she phones you, she doesn't know I've spoken to you."

"Okay, byee," said and rang off before I could tell him I loved him and that if he hadn't shagged me like a steam engine we might have been able to do something again before he went back to London. He was apologetic when he knew he'd hurt me again and I did ask Stella to examine me, which she did and told me that there was a little tear again and brought me some medicine from the hospital which would heal it in a few days, she also said she would ask Michael to check it for me.

So here I am trying to teach one of my daughters a lesson about desire and I'm feeling randy but know I couldn't have sex if I wanted to, life is just great and it's back to work next week. Ain't it just wonderful?

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
128 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Newbie drivers are a plague

They get trained enough to pass the exam but basics like parallel parking and common sense seem to be left off the curriculum. The bigger problem is they don’t know squat about anticipating problems or the nano-second reaction times you need when the stuff starts flying.

2.0 L Diesel Jag

I’ve owned a couple of small Fords with 2.0 L Diesels: even a Jag so powered would take its sweet time to reach dangerous speeds, but I suppose youth would find a way.

Thanks for keeping it real

ChristopherH's picture

So my 15 year old will be driving soon. Me, with one of the last fords built off of a safe Volvo, totally paid for and really don’t care if something happens to the car, just that they’ll be safe - which they will be, because it’s a tank(ford flex). I have to go buy a smaller car - what don’t they understand with this?

What Danni needs

Is the safest vehicle her mom can get her. If she can drive without an accident for a year, then she might be upgrading to the Jag but not until then.

Lovely little story

about the realities of owning a car, Like many others i certainly would have not said no to a Jag But like Danni the insurance needed would have bean far too much for me too afford,

Now Danni will need to work on her father and grandfather . Lets hope they stay strong Jag and a teenage girl are not a good mix

Kirri

My Car

joannebarbarella's picture

Is a 2.0 litre Lexus and my insurer works my premiums on who drives it. When I was the only nominated driver my premium was $700. When I added my son and daughter to the list (both in their 50s) they upped the premium by $50 a year. When I inquired about adding my 22-year-old grandson they wanted to increase the premium by $500 per annum. I declined..

Insurance, a necessary evil

Insurance, a necessary evil and in some cases a rip off. But, it was great to see another chapter of the Dormouse saga up. It went well with my 3rd cup of coffee. Yes, it's been one of those days.

Thanks, Angharad!

Teddie

Driving a powerful car at 17 is sure-fire recipe for disaster.

No matter how carful dear little 17-year-old daughter promises to be, there's a racing certainty that when she goes out with friends there'll ba wll sorts of temptations and dares to 'she what she can do'. Besides, she's not even passed her test yet so the insurance premiums reflect her situation. A jag at 17? Pure bloody lunacy!!!

bev_1.jpg

Driving a powerful car at 17 is sure-fire recipe for disaster.

No matter how carful dear little 17-year-old daughter promises to be, there's a racing certainty that when she goes out with friends there'll ba wll sorts of temptations and dares to 'she what she can do'. Besides, she's not even passed her test yet so the insurance premiums reflect her situation. A jag at 17? Pure bloody lunacy!!!

bev_1.jpg

Driving a powerful car at 17 is sure-fire recipe for disaster.

No matter how carful dear little 17-year-old daughter promises to be, there's a racing certainty that when she goes out with friends there'll ba wll sorts of temptations and dares to 'she what she can do'. Besides, she's not even passed her test yet so the insurance premiums reflect her situation. A jag at 17? Pure bloody lunacy!!!

bev_1.jpg

I Don’t Know

What the driving age is in the UK, but when I got my license, the age in the States was 16. We didn’t even have a road test then. It was all on a closed course. At 16 I was an absolute menace. I had no business having a driver’s license at that age. Now we have a graduated license system in Maryland. Much safer that way.

Another great installment. Really good way to teach a life lesson.

The licence age in the UK

Angharad's picture

is 17 for a car, 16 for mopeds and small motorbikes and I think 21 for HGV and PSV there are also age restrictions on various other classes or require a test, towing things is one such.

Angharad