How I spent my Summer Vacation: I became a Girl! (7)

Printer-friendly version

How I spent my Summer Vacation: I became a girl!
By
Rebecca Coleman

Note to readers: The “How I spent my Summer Vacation: I became a Girl!” is an ongoing in-universe serial that appears each Saturday Evening in the “Benton Evening Post” the story focuses on the ongoing struggle of Emil “Emily” Anderson as she strides to adopted to her new life in a small southern town that straddles the hills and the delta. The story chronicles her daily life and sometimes that of her aunt Flora.

-12-
A double vanilla frappe with whipped cream and chocolate Sauce!

I'd only gone a inch into the store, when I turned around and rushed off. Leaving behind a cast of confused sales women who I'm sure were hoping to sell me everything and everything my little heart desired. But right now, what my heart desired was a double vanilla frappe that was topped with whipped cream and drizzled with chocolate sauce.

And there was only one place in the mall to get that, and that was Siren Coffee House, a small coffee house that was located at the far end of the mall. Next to the Magnolia Department Store. You see the mall was anchored by two major regional department stores, on one end you had Magnolia Department store, and on the other you had Stain Mark. Another regional department store.

Anyway a few moments later I was standing in the middle of Siren Coffee House, the small square space was crowded with people. The savory, almost sweet smell of fresh roasted coffee beans perfumed the air, the whole area buzzed with the chatter of three dozen different, discounted conversations. And here I stood, looking up at the menu while in front of me a clearly annoyed sales woman who looked only a few years older than me just peered at me.

To be honest, the menu above me could have been written in either Latin or Greek! I could not make heads or tails of anything. I mean this was my first time going to a coffee house. So I was totally taken by the dazzling array of choices being offered.

“May I ask a question ma'am?” I said as I looked up at the menu. Still trying to make heads or tails of what was what.

“Sure...” The woman said as she leaned over. “But I need you to make up your mind really quickly, or else I'm afraid I'm going to need you to step out and go to the back of the line. Cause you're holding up the line. So not to be rude or anything. But if you don't know what you want. Maybe step out and go to the back of the line and think about it?”

“What a frappe?” I asked. I would pretend that I'd heard the last part of the girl's sentence.

“It's like a milkshake with coffee.” The woman said, sighing.

“Okay! I would like a double vanilla frappe, with whipped cream, drizzled with chocolate sauce!” I decided that instead of my normal cup of hot, soulless black coffee I would treat myself to something fun, sweet, rich and creamy and plus, I loved a good milkshake and I loved coffee so what could be better than the two mixed together!
“Okay.. what size would you like..” The woman said as she peered at me. “Or would that take another ten to fifteen minutes of your time? She added as she once more peered at the growing line that now seemed to wrap itself one the still living pecan trees that had been planted in front of the shop.

“Extra large..” I said, shrugging my shoulders.

“Oh good.. that only took thirty seconds, we're making progress here! Now for the real big question, can I have a name for your order? Or would I just write 'Girl in Dress' on the cup and call it square?” She asked as she pressed a few buttons.

I blinked, no I froze. A name?! Of course they needed a name! Damn why did they need a name. I looked around, I could feel my hand start to tremble a little. My tongue started to swell, I swallowed hard and noticed that behind me a man dressed in a navy blue jacket and starched pressed white button down shirt was peering dead at me. His ice, cold gaze pierced my heart and caused my soul to split into two pieces. He then coughed and lifted his arm and looked down at his watch.

“Oh and here I thought we were making progress.. what does mommy normally order for you?” She said snickering a little. She then looked at the business man and nodded her head and motioned for him to step up so she could place his order. Clearly, she did not waste time to waste. But the fact that she had just skipped over me caused my blood to start to boil. I clenched my fist and in a loud, tone of voice I bellowed.

“Emily Hannah Anderson!” I shouted. “My name is Emily Hannah Anderson!”

Just like that, all conversation stopped. The two dozen people that had crowed into the tiny little space turned their full attention toward me. The businessmen slowly stepped back and the girl behind the desk smirked and pressed a few more buttons.

“Is that 'Mrs.' Emily Hannah Anderson or 'Ms.' Emily Hannah Anderson?” The girl said, chuckling a little as she pressed a few more buttons on the strange money counting machine. She seemed oddly amused at the sudden outburst. Like this was the highlight of her morning.

“Ms. Emily Hannah Anderson.” I said, quite out of breath and blushing red.

“Okay Ms. Emily Hannah Anderson. Your grand total is eight dollars and fifty three cents. Please take a seat and I'll call you when your drink is ready.”

I handed her a ten dollar note and told her to keep the change. She only smirked and then she turned her full attention toward the next person in line. I could not tell if others noticed, but I was visibly shaken. I mean, that had taken a lot out of me. Going out in public was one thing, answering the door was another, but having to give my name, my full female name.. it really made what I was doing dawn on me. If I wanted to be Emily, then I needed to get used to people calling me Emily. Up to this point only two people had known me as Emily, Aunt Flora and my possible crush Jack. That's it.

Now a room full of strangers knew me as Emily. A whole room full of total strangers. I felt like I was on the verge of tears. I had no idea why I was on the verge of tears.

“A double vanilla frappe with whipped cream and chocolate sauce for an Ms. Emily Hannah Anderson.” The girl who had just taken my order moments ago called out in a loud tone of voice. “A double vanilla frappe with whipped cream, drizzled with chocolate sauce for an Ms. Emily Hannah Anderson.” She called out again, her voice echoed.

Well that was my name. It was strange, having my name called by somebody beside Aunt Flora kind of felt validating. I mean okay bare with me here, when you look down at your bank issued visa card, you know that it belongs to you because of two reasons, you know the PIN to access your money and it has your name printed on the front of it. When you look down at your state issued driver's license you know it belongs to you because it has your date of birth, your address, and your name. Your name is like a personal mark of ownership.

When you graduate from high school they call out your full name and you walk across the stage in your cap and gown and claim your diploma, you know that diploma is yours because your name is printed on it. When you graduate from college with your degree the same. When you get your first check, so in short hearing somebody else use my name was some real validation that I needed at that moment.

“I want to be Emily for the rest of my life.” I said blushing as I stood up and walked over to the counter. The girl by now had set my drink down and was fixing somebody else's drink. Without thinking I reached down and took my drink, I knew the drink was mine because it had my name written on the back with black marker.

“It's mine..” I said, a little lost for words.

“Girl are you okay?” The clerk said as she peered at me. I could tell she was confused, she set another cup down and in a loud tone of voice called out.

“Extra DEATH METAL BLACK COFFEE for ANDREW 'JACK' JACKSON SMITH.” Her voice echoed across the room.

“Girl?” I said. I paused and then smiled. “Girl?” I said again hopefully.

“Well.. you don't look like a boy!” The clerk said as she looked down at the coffee.

That hit me like a ton of freaking bricks, looking beyond the teenage snark, looking beyond the clear lack of customer service skills the girl had. She had just called me a 'girl' . At that moment all my fears vanished and I knew that I was killing it! I was passing! No, I was doing more than passing, I was flying, I was flying higher than a plane!

“Thank you!” I said smiling as I reached down and picked up my drink, I then spun around and there standing in front of me was him. I knew him by his scent, by the dull dead fish look in his eyes and the jet black hair. But there was something different about him. He was dressed differently this morning. No spike collar, no leather choker. He was dressed in a simple pair of jeans, and a plain button down shirt. And he looked tired.

“Oh hey it the Pretty Celestial Soldier girl.” He said smiling.

“Oh hey it's Baka.” I said huffing a little.
He chuckled a little and smiled. It was a tired smile.

“Well mom says thank you for the sugar.” He said as he looked down at me, he was a few inches taller than me. And well he seemed to be blushing a little as he shifted his weight from one foot to the other. I mean his ears were turning red too and that was just so freaking adorable. I wanted to reach up and touch them. In fact, before I could stop myself I found myself standing on my toes, trying to touch them.

“Your ears are so red! They look just like an apple. I want to bite them!” I said with a little too much pepper than I intended too.

Jack paused and shifted his weight around.

“OKAY! GUYS!” The clerk said. “Can you two get your drinks and like get a table or something. Or get a motel room or something! Or go into one of the changing rooms at Gothic Topic or something! Cause like you're holding up my line and girl, your half ass attempts at flirting is going to make me vomit okay!”

Both Jack and I turned our attention toward the clerk who just rolled her eyes and huffed.

“Damn teenagers.” She muttered. Bold words coming from somebody who was maybe a year or so from those troubled teenage years. She then put on a fake smile and asked if she could help the next person in line. Jack and I then turned our eyes toward each other.

“So!” I said turning toward Jack with a broad smile on my face. “Did you have any plans for the rest of the morning? I thought maybe we could hang out or something?” I paused, was this normal? I thought the guy was supposed to ask the girl to hang out? Well hell! Roles reverse!

Jack blushed a little and turned his head away, he was blushing! Oh the power that came with knowing I could make a guy blush! It felt good to have that kind of power over him, to know that I kind of thought like a guy, well my software was kind of mixed. I was starting to consider myself a person with female software but guy hardware, with some plumping issues to work out later in life.

“I'm free if you want to hang out for a bit. I mean I would love to hang out with you and maybe get a burger or something later.” Jack swallowed hard and then looked down at me. “I mean I would buy of course!” He seemed to be stumbling on his own words. Like the cool Jack from before had just vanished and a new, softer side of Jack was coming to light. I kind of liked this more timed, shy side of him.

“Sure! I can totally drag you along shopping with me! Though I might need you to hold my purse for me! And if you buy lunch, I'm buying you ice cream!” I said again with more pepper than I expected to say.

“I mean you don't have too..” He said, mumbling under his breath.

“Sure, I would love to.” I took a chance and decided to roll the mental dice. “Andy?” I said grinning.

“Andy?” He said blushing again as his eyes went wide open.

“Yes! It's either Andy or Baka, take your pick!” I said smiling as I took the first of my drink. The flavors all hit me at once. My eyes went wide as saucers as I took another long pull. The heavy cream, blended with the strong coffee, sweetened with the sugar and chilled by the crushed ice. Along with the hints of vanilla. It caused me to just tremble. It was an explosion of flavors in my mouth.

“Oh that's so good!” I said blushing.

“Andy.. but only if I can call you Emily-Chan!” He said, smiling a goofy smile. That smile.. that smile was a smile that caused my heart to burst into flames. It was like he was at last starting to lower his mental shields and show me the boy beyond the Goth..

“Oh you such WEEB!” I said giggling a little as I took another long sip of my coffee. Then something came over me, I don't know if it was the caffeine in the coffee beans, or the sugar or something else that had just woken in my mind. But at that moment I stood up and planted a kiss on his flushing red cheeks.

“...” Jack looked stunned.

“COME ON!” I said, taking another sip of my coffee. Oh God this stuff was so good! So good! “Let's go paint this mall red this morning!” I said as I reached down and took hold of Jack's hand. I smiled and pulled him alone. Jack just stood there dumb found as I pulled him toward the fountain.

up
111 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The big leap

With both feet first. This could get really interesting!

Names are powerful

Emma Anne Tate's picture

That was a nice moment, Sunflowerchan. Even if the girl validating her name was a nasty piece-of-work.

Your girl needs to watch her intake of sugar-infused caffeinated beverages, or poor Jack won’t know what hit him!

Emma

Seems more like a Baka than an Andy

Dee Sylvan's picture

A double vanilla frappe with whipped cream and chocolate sauce should be served at Baskin Robbins not a coffee shop. lol I think Jack is a bit thunderstruck by that cheek kiss. :DD

DeeDee

Snerk

Alice-s's picture

You go girl

Coffee

crash's picture

It's a stretch to call a double vanilla frappe with whipped cream and chocolate sauce a "coffee" On the other hand one of my favorite coffee shop drinks is a cherry Italian soda with a shot of half and half. Yum.

Love where this is going. We'll need to write The Ballad of Emily an Jack".

Peace

Your friend
Crash

The Ice-Cream Parlour Sales-Bitch

joannebarbarella's picture

That girl needs seriously pulling into gear by the management. She has clearly never absorbed that maxim "the customer is always right". However, she did end up validating Emily's excursion into girlhood.

She has learned the basic lesson that she can wrap Jack round her little finger with a bit of flirting. Like many teenage boys he is actually a mess when it comes to dealing with girls.

One terrific chapter!