Honey Bunny: 3

Printer-friendly version
Our first rehearsal with the band
Ally in her Bunny outfit Sometimes it is more important to listen to your inner voice than those around you.


Honey Bunny

Chapter 3

by Louise Anne Smithson

Copyright © 2015 Louise Anne Smithson
All Rights Reserved.

 


 
Chapter 3: The new Bunnies  

Bethany’s plan for Thursday afternoon worked very well. By a quarter to four Carol and I had arrived at her house, each carrying a suitcase. Inside there was a black shirt-dress and some underclothes loaned to me by my cousin for the rehearsal, together with high-heels and the hair extensions previously supplied by Beth. There were also the black stage costumes that we were planning to wear the following night. By six o’clock my colleagues had once again transformed me into Ally. My boobs were strapped up and penis tucked safely out of the way. My hair extensions inserted and styled and my makeup applied, including a new set of nail tips. I began to feel like Ally once again.

Ten minutes or so after we had finished we heard Beth's parents return home.

‘Ally, would you like to come down and say hello to Mum and Dad?’ asked Beth.

‘It would be polite to do so,’ added Carol.

‘Are you sure it is going to be alright?’ I said, conscious that they would be the first people to meet Ally, other than my two companions.

‘Just stick to your ‘Ally’ voice and act naturally; everything will be fine.’

I followed them downstairs, treading carefully and feeling very self-conscious about the way I looked.

‘Mum, Dad, this is Carol’s cousin, Alexandra, who’ll be filling in for Alice at the performance tomorrow.’

‘Nice to meet you, dear, Beth has been telling us what a good singer you are,’ said her Mum.

‘Thank you,’ I said blushing slightly, ‘but we’ll have to see how we get on at the rehearsal tonight.’

‘If you don’t mind we won’t stop for dinner as we still have a number of things to do,’ said Beth.

‘You go ahead girls,’ she replied.

‘Dad, can you give us a lift to the rehearsal tonight as well as tomorrow?’

‘I suppose so. Let me know when you’re ready.’

~o~O~o~

The ‘Pompey Players’ proved to be three fairly average looking young men, trying hard to look like a heavy metal band, but not quite succeeding. The founder of the group was James who was tall and spotty and played lead guitar. Thomas, who played the drums, had long hair and a spider’s web tattooed on his neck. Finally, George was a shortish but otherwise a quite nice looking guy, who played the keyboard. I was introduced to them as ‘Ally’ and they were all welcoming to me and didn’t appear to display any suspicions regarding my origins. At first sight I wasn’t terribly impressed and wondered whether they would be in the same league as the ‘Bunnies’, who appeared somewhat more sophisticated than the guys but any doubts were quickly dispelled once they began to play. They were all good musicians and ready and willing to contribute to the overall performance, rather than just remain in the background. As I’d suggested, they were more than happy to add several instrumental solos or flourishes to enhance our performance as singers.

We worked through our proposed programme without any serious hitch and were satisfied that everyone knew what they would be doing on the night. By 10.30 pm we were all pleased with the way things had gone and the guys suggested that we might adjourn to the local pub. Beth turned down the offer explaining that her Dad would soon be coming to collect us, so we stayed where we were chatting pending his arrival. At one point, George came over to me and spoke quietly.

‘I was impressed by the recording that Beth emailed. To be honest, we were a little anxious about tomorrow night’s gig when we heard that Alice had left ‘the Bunnies,’ but you’re exactly what they need to strengthen the line-up and to increase their repertoire.’

‘That’s nice of you to say so, but I’m only a temporary replacement for Alice,’ I replied, blushing a little, although quite pleased to find that my contribution had at least been recognised.

‘That’s a pity, but at least you will be performing tomorrow evening.’

‘Oh yes, I’m looking forward to it,’ I replied.

‘Me too!’ he said and smiled at me.

He had a nice smile. I wondered whether Alex would have even noticed, but on the other hand, perhaps George wouldn’t have smiled at Alex in the same way.

~o~O~o~

Beth’s father turned up at eleven o’clock: Carol and I got in to the back seats of his car with Beth in the front.

‘As it’s fairly late I’ll drive you and your cousin straight back to your house, if you like, Carol,’ he offered.

‘That’s alright thanks, Mr Jones, Ally and I have left all our stuff in Beth’s bedroom. We can easily take a taxi.’

‘That’s no problem, we’ll go back and collect your belongings and then I’ll drive you home.’

Carol didn’t answer: Beth turned to look at us and I’m sure that she noticed the look of horror that was on my face. What was I going to say to Aunt Emma when I arrived home wearing one of her daughter’s dresses, together with hair and nail extensions and full makeup?

‘Actually, Dad, I was planning to ask Mum whether Carol and Ally could stay at our place for tonight. Neither of them will be working tomorrow and we still have plenty to do to get ready for our performance tomorrow night.’

‘Will that be alright with your Mother, Carol?’ he asked.

‘I’m sure it’ll be fine but I’ll phone her to let her know where we are.’

‘How about your parents, Ally?’

‘They’re both in Bahrain, but I’m sure they would be alright about it so long as Aunt Emma is happy.’

‘Alright in that case we can go back to our place and make the necessary arrangements.’

~o~O~o~

Beth’s mother was happy to have us stay in their spare-room, but pointed out that we would have to look after ourselves in the morning as they would both be leaving for work by 8.00am. Carol rang Aunt Emma to explain that we would be staying with Beth but we would call round later the following day for a change of clothes. She also said that Alex had agreed to help them set up the equipment ready for the evening’s performance at the Red Lion.

‘Doesn’t he have to work tomorrow?’ Aunt Emma asked.

‘No, he’s not needed again until Saturday lunch time.’

‘So when will I see you both?’

‘Saturday morning, I guess. I’ll phone you sometime tomorrow just to reassure you that we haven’t been kidnapped and sold into slavery.’

‘I’ll need to find you both some bedclothes for tonight,’ said Beth. ‘Carol, you can wear a pair of my pyjamas. Ally, there’s a nightdress and housecoat set that was bought for me last Christmas by my gran, and which I’ve never worn. They are a little bit girly for my taste, but girly is what you should be aiming at for the next twenty four hours.’

‘I suppose I don’t have much choice but will one of you help me to take off this makeup please.’

‘Alright, but we’ll leave your nail tips in place to save time tomorrow,’ said Carol.

‘Have you thought about how and where I’m going to get changed back to Alex after the performance tomorrow night?’ I asked.

‘I’m afraid that Mum and Dad are likely to be in,’ said Beth.

‘So will my Mum,’ said Carol.

‘Would I be able to get changed at the venue, after the performance?’ I asked.

‘No, I think that might be too risky as you might be seen by one of the lads,’ said Beth. ‘There is a shed at the end of our garden which is some way from the house. You can probably get changed in there. We’ll leave the back gate unbolted and put Alex’s clothes and some makeup remover pads in a bag ready for you to use. I’ve already told Dad that we’ll be getting a lift home from the venue, but instead we’ll take a taxi. I’ll go in first to make sure that my parents are asleep in bed and then I’ll text you that the coast is clear for you to go and get changed.’

‘As long as we don’t get arrested for attempted burglary,’ said Carol.

‘I don’t think that’s likely to happen. The shed is not visible from my parents’ bedroom and is really only overlooked by my own bedroom and the spare room.’

‘Life can get really complicated when you try to switch between male and female,’ I commented.

‘Maybe so, but it also makes for a more interesting time,’ said my cousin smiling.

~o~O~o~

‘Good morning, ladies, and how are we feeling today?’ Beth asked as she came into the spare room on Friday morning and handed us both a cup of tea.

I sat up and became aware that I was wearing a lacy nightdress, had long lacquered artificial finger nails and had long hair tied up with a ribbon.

‘Alright, I guess, but I’ll be glad when today is over and done with,’ I replied, once again using Ally’s voice.

‘Really, I got the impression that you enjoyed yourself at the rehearsal last night,’ said Carol.

‘The rehearsal was fine, but I was petrified afterwards when it looked as if I might have to arrive at your house dressed as Ally.’

‘Well my parents have already gone to work and so you have no need to worry again until this evening.’

‘So what is the plan for today?’ I asked.

‘I have to do some shopping after breakfast, so you two are welcome to come with me, or else stay behind,’ replied Beth.

‘We’ll go with you,’ said Carol without consulting me.

‘Alright, when we get back we can indulge in a little beauty therapy before we get ready for the evening.’

‘What do you mean by beauty therapy?’ I asked.

‘Last weekend we only shaved your arms and legs. I think the time has come to give them a waxing, if we are going to do things properly. Maybe we could tidy up your eyebrows a little as well and show you how to put on some false eyelashes.’

‘Will I be going shopping this morning dressed as Alex or Ally?’

Beth looked at me as if I’d asked a stupid question.

‘Well if you want to go out dressed as a boy wearing those girly finger nails and long hair, you are welcome to do so, but I think that might attract some attention, don’t you?’

‘Come on Ally, you can wear my shirt-dress once again,’ said Carol. ‘Also I think it is time you had your first makeup lesson whilst Beth prepares us some breakfast. From now onwards there must be no more mention of Alex until tomorrow morning. Is that agreed?’

‘I guess so, but do I have to wear the heels again? My legs were beginning to ache after the rehearsal.’

‘I’ll loan you a pair of my flats for today, but you’ll have to wear the heels again this evening for the performance.’

‘Yes, of course.’

~o~O~o~

Carol was right; living as a girl rather than a boy was a lot more complicated but it was also more fun. I had a great time during remainder of the day and I felt as if I’d become an accepted member of the Honey Bunnies. We completed Beth’s shopping and Carol and I each bought a new pair of knickers, a bra and a pair of tights, ready for the evening’s performance – sharing the cost of a ‘two for the price of one’ special offer. We returned to Beth’s house where the three of us proceeded to have the hair from our arms and legs removed, our hands and faces creamed, and our nails buffed. By 7.00pm there were three attractive young ladies in tight, low cut, black dresses showing off some cleavage, high heels and sexy looking makeup. I’d made a start on my own makeup, but the finishing touches, including the false eyelashes, were done by my colleagues. I was also given a pair of gold coloured chandelier style earrings which Carol had to put in for me as I was still unused to having longer finger nails. She also handed me a matching pendant with a bunny rabbit and the letter ‘A’.

‘We bought three matching pendants for Alice, Beth and Carol. I’m glad that you have adopted the name Ally as the idea still works.’

‘Thanks, but would you mind fixing the clasp for me?’

It had taken a deal of time and trouble to get the three of us looking the way we did, but as I checked myself in the mirror I couldn’t help but think that it was worth it. Especially as in my case this was likely to be the only opportunity I would have of looking so good.

‘Wow, just look at you three,’ commented Beth’s mother. ‘You all look lovely!’

‘Thanks very much, Mrs Jones,’ said Carol.

I smiled and felt good to be included in such a compliment.

‘Now are you sure you’ll be alright for a lift home tonight?’

‘Yes thanks, Dad, if you can take us in to the Red Lion now you won’t have to worry about us for the rest of the evening.’

‘Alright but make sure you telephone me if you find that you need a lift. I don’t like to think of young girls being out on their own late at night.’

~o~O~o~

We arrived at the venue just as the Pompey Players were unloading and beginning to set up their equipment.

‘Hi, guys,’ said Beth. ‘Is everything ok?’

‘I think so, but we’ll do a quick sound check before the audience arrives.

‘In that case we’ll adjourn to our dressing room to check on our hair and makeup,’ she replied.

This was going to be the first appearance of the Honey Bunnies in several weeks and a number of those involved in the local music scene were aware that there had been a change in the line-up and were intrigued to see how we would get on.

Beth began the set with ‘I don't feel like dancin’ by The Scissor Sisters with Carol and myself on the chorus. This was followed by The Sugababes number ‘Push the button’ this time led by Carol, with Beth and myself backing. These had been heard before and were part of their normal repertoire. It was now my turn to lead with the Britney Spears number from the nineties, ‘Baby one more time.’ This seemed to go down quite well with the audience, and George caught my eye and smiled his approval. These were followed by our versions of the Lady Gaga song ‘Bad Romance’ sung by Beth, and the Rihanna number ‘Rude Boy' by Carol. It was now my turn with my arrangement of ‘Where did our love go?’ from the Supremes, which dates back to 1964, before my parents were even born, but has been recorded at least a dozen times since it was revived by the Spice Girls in 1998.

By the mid-point in the evening, when we took a break, we had completed fifteen numbers dating from the 1960s to 2012, all of which had seemed to go down well with the audience, some of whom had been dancing, whilst others stood to watch.

‘You’re singing really well, Ally, but try to move around a bit more in time to the music like your colleagues,’ suggested George as we came off the stage.

That’s all very well for you to say, but I’m not exactly used to prancing around the stage wearing high heels and a dress,’ I thought to myself.

‘Thank you,’ I replied. ‘You’re not doing too badly yourself.’

I then gave him a nice smile and disappeared into our dressing room where I was hugged and congratulated by Beth and Carol who also seemed both pleased and excited by the way things had gone.

The second half of our performance seemed to go just as well as the first, with a mix of fifteen songs from the last five decades. I think it would be fair to say that we all performed pretty well, especially so the musicians, who made all the difference. As soon as we’d finished there were plenty of people who wanted to congratulate us, ask questions about the group or suggest further numbers for us to include in our next show. However, now that I’d done my duty as far as my cousin and her friend were concerned, I was quite anxious to get changed back into Alex and get back to my Aunt’s house safely without her having discovered about ‘Ally’. Carol and I therefore retreated to our dressing room leaving Beth to deal with any last enquiries. My cousin helped me to quickly remove the false nails, earrings and false eyelashes, as these were best taken off when there was plenty of light but I retained my costume, hair and the remaining makeup until we got back to Beth’s house. As soon as Beth was able to withdraw from the throng of those wishing to offer their congratulations we sneaked out the back door and took a taxi to her home.

‘Well done Ally, you were wonderful tonight,’ said Carol in the taxi going to her home.

‘I think we were all pretty good,’ I replied.

‘Yes, but you were the newcomer, in more ways than one,’ she replied indicating with her eyes that she couldn’t say anything more without being overheard by the taxi driver.

‘I’m sorry I didn’t get to thank and say goodbye to the musicians, they were very good,’ I commented.

‘They had plenty to do packing up after the show but if you like I’ll pass on your thanks when I next speak to them,’ said Beth. ‘I’ll need to arrange to pay them as soon as I’ve received our fee.’

‘How much will we get for tonight’s efforts?’ asked Carol.

‘After deducting our expenses, paying for the band and the taxi there should be forty pounds each.’

Given the amount of time and trouble that we’d invested into the performance, it was clear that being one of the Honey Bunnies paid substantially less well than the McJob. On the other hand there was no question in my mind as to which was the more interesting one to do.


 
Next time: The good news and the bad news

Many thanks to Angharad and to Bronwen both of whom sent me corrections and offered to proof future postings for me. Louise

up
422 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you, Louise,

Love the story, which you tell so well .Nice to have Angharad and Bronwen to look after you ,we have all missed your postings and it is good to see you back.

ALISON

trying to fool her parents?

not a good plan. I suspect they either know now, or will quickly figure things out.

DogSig.png

Liking it so far...

Tanya Allan's picture

.. as I keep looking for more!

Tanya

There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!

I'm wondering if someone was

I'm wondering if someone was at the show and recognized Alex as Ally? Also perhaps their next show offer will require Ally to be with the group. Either way, a new life in skirts, dresses and makeup seem to be in Alex/Ally's immediate and long term future. Janice

The classic TG story

This appears to be the penultimate theme for TG folk, and challenges the limits of believability for me. Still it is a very nice story and easy to read.

Gwen

I imagine...

...Alex/Ally will be keeping up the double life for a few weeks / several performances before building more Ally time into daily life - and probably a while longer before she comes out to Carol's parents - let alone her own.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

What's Up, Doc?

joannebarbarella's picture

Not much chance of Ally being recognised and outed during a performance, given that (s)he lives in Bahrain. The problem, if there is one, is going to be with her aunt.

George has an eye on Ally

Where oh where has my baby gone? Into the shed to change