The Candy Cane Club Chapters 11 - 14

Printer-friendly version

 
There is a serial killer at work, and Detective Inspector Bruce Appleby has only one lead, there is a common link to all the deceased men. The Candy Cane Club.

This is a private and exclusive TG club in the heart of Reading, and he finds it resistant to any form of intrusive investigation. No females are employed in the club, and only males of a certain persuasion. All the staff are transgendered in some way, and Bruce has to try to unlock the intelligence which can only be inside, either from the clients or the staff.

The only answer is to get someone inside, but what cop would ever volunteer for such an assignment?

One did, and for Police Constable Nick Winton, a whole new life is opened up. The question is: where will it take him?

 
Tanya's Book Shop where she is selling her works in book form is at http://tanyaallan.authorshaunt.com/shop.php . Please Visit!


 
The Legal Stuff:The Candy Cane Club  ©2004 Tanya Allan
 
This work is the property of the author, and the author retains full copyright in relation to printed material, whether on paper or electronically. Any adaptation of the whole or part of the material for broadcast by radio, TV, or for stage plays or film, is the right of the author unless negotiated through legal contract. Any commercial use by anyone other than the author is strictly prohibited.
 
This work is fictitious, and any similarities to any persons, alive or dead, are purely coincidental. Mention is made of persons in public life only for the purposes of realism, and for that reason alone. Certain licence is taken in respect of medical procedures, terms and conditions, and the author does not claim to be the fount of all knowledge.
 
The author accepts the right of the individual to hold his/her (or whatever) own political, religious and social views, and there is no intention to deliberately offend anyone. If you wish to take offence, that is your problem.

 
This is only a story, and it contains adult material, which includes sex and intimate descriptive details pertaining to genitalia. If this is likely to offend, then don’t read it.
 
If you enjoyed this story, then please PM me and tell me. If you hated it, PM me and lie.
 
 
Book One

 
 
Chapter 11
 
 
As Nicole was getting dressed, the Glovers were in their car heading for Bramford. Carol was quite excited as she saw this as an ideal opportunity for Madeline to get together with Jamie, and who knows what possibilities were then open. Their son Trevor was also with them, he was at university, but was not that keen on being dragged off to this dinner party.

Carol had spent ages shopping with her daughter to find just the right dress, and then to the hairdressers. She thought that Madeline looked as good as she ever could, so tonight, Jamie Calder was going to get caught.

Nicole was just finishing her nails when she heard the sound of Rufus barking, so she figured that people had started to arrive. Jamie popped his head round her door.

“Are you ready? Oh my Lord, you look fantastic,” he said, taking in her stunning black dress.

“Give me a couple of minutes, honey. I must let my nails dry.”

“Okay, I have to go down and greet people; will you be all right on your own?”

“I’m a big girl now, so I’ll be just fine.”

He disappeared, and she looked at her reflection in the mirror. She had to admit, she did look pretty damn good. It was hard to imagine that only a few short months ago, she was a completely different person, living a completely different life. She smiled, and the girl smiled back. She felt almost total contentment.
 

*          *          *

 
Downstairs, the Glovers and the Sandersons had arrived at the same time. Sir Guy Sanderson was an old army pal of Rupert’s, having been recently promoted to Brigadier. Rupert had left the army when his father had become too ill to manage the estate, so he had left as a Major. Guy’s wife June was another horsey woman, so their two daughters were equally equestrian mad. The elder, Maria, was now engaged to an army officer, but Caroline, who was 21 and at university, was with them tonight.

They were all very familiar with the house, and gathered in the small drawing room. For the special occasion, Martin Stewart, the family butler, was on duty, so he took drinks orders. Shortly afterwards, Rupert’s younger brother Roger and his wife Felicity arrived, so they too, were shown into the room.

Carol Glover was trying to get Madeline to sit next to Jamie, but the blessed boy would not stand still, he kept fidgeting and looking at the door.

Rupert was holding forth on the ills of the European Community when he looked at the door, smiling.

“Ah, here she is. Nicole, my dear, you look fabulous,” he said, so everyone turned round and watched as Nicole walked through the door. She looked like a model on a catwalk, tall and slim, and ever so sophisticated. Jamie beamed his biggest smile and rushed over to her, he put his arm around her waist.

“I’m sorry I’m a little late, but my nails took forever to dry,” she said, her Canadian accent very obvious.

“Ah, right. Yes. Okay, yah. Everyone, this is Nicole, Nicole Le Fevre,” Jamie said, and then took her round and introduced her to each person in turn.

Madeline frowned, glancing at her mother, who in turn was looking not best pleased. This tall, very glamorous girl was not part of the plan, so she was not happy.

“I suppose now is as good a time as any other,” Jamie said. “You’re the first to know, but I have the greatest pleasure in announcing that Nicole has agreed to marry me, so we are now engaged. It won’t be official for a few weeks, but I’ve been dying to tell people.”

There were several gasps of surprise, and mostly pleasurable. Uncle Roger had to sit down, as he never thought that Jamie would have the balls to get engaged, particularly to such a heavenly creature.

Lady Marjorie was watching Carol, and was really enjoying the woman’s reaction. Carol tried to look pleased, but failed miserably. All her scheming and plotting to get Madeline that title were now for nothing, so it was all Marjorie could do not to burst out laughing.

Martin gave Nicole a gin and tonic, even though he had not asked what she wanted, she glanced at Rupert, who raised his glass at her. She grinned and returned the toast.

Roger homed in on her and immediately asked her the question that everyone wanted to ask.

“Tell me, my dear, what the devil do you see in young Jamie?”

She looked at Jamie, and her eyes softened.

“I see a gentle giant, who has a heart of gold and a brillopad for a brain, but I love him dearly,” she said, causing much laughter.

“How did you meet?”

“He picked me up when I was shopping in Newbury.”

“What. Jamie? Picked you up? I don’t believe it,” Roger said.

Martin chose this moment to announce that dinner was served, so Nicole gratefully took Rupert’s arm and he led them through to the dining room.

Roger took Marjorie’s arm.

“Bit of a dark horse, young Jamie.” he said, so she smiled.

“I don’t think so, he just has good taste, but was a little slow off the mark. But she’s a lovely girl, and we couldn’t be more pleased.”

“Where’s she from, she isn’t American, is she?” Roger said, making the word sound like something one trod in.

“No Roger, she has dual English/Canadian nationality, but was brought up in Canada. Her father was an English University lecturer, and her mother was French Canadian.”

“Was? I take it they are no longer with us?”

“No, they died in a car crash a few years ago. She’s an only child, so life has been quite tough for her.”

“Must have been. What does she do?”

“Ah, something in public relations, I think,” Marjorie said, not wanting to spill the beans about her real job. They had all agreed what to say when asked this question.

Nicole saw the dining room for the first time, and was amazed. From the high very ornate decorated ceiling, to the portraits of the ancestors on the walls, the room oozed history. The table was simply enormous, while the room was large enough to comfortably seat fifty at the table, at it’s maximum extension.

On this occasion, there were only thirteen places set, but Nicole did not remember if she had ever seen so much silver in her life. She gave nothing away, calmly allowing Rupert to seat her, as if she was sued to such treatment, trying to appear as unruffled as she could. It certainly worked, for young Madeline was cross with her mother, as she watched the Canadian girl who appeared to be in a completely different league to her. She felt so provincial and unsophisticated compared to her.

Nicole sat on Rupert’s right, with Roger to her right. She took in the multitude of knives and forks, remembering her father saying, “simply work your way in to the middle from the outside.”

Suddenly, several staff appeared and, under Martin’s watchful eye, they served the starters. It was a very fine Lobster Bisque, with freshly baked rolls, so it was a real treat. Roger started to question her, so she skilfully turned the questions onto him, and he was too content to talk about himself at great length. She took the opportunity to glance at the other diners, observing that Mrs Glover appeared less than pleased with life, while her daughter, Madeline, looked quite relieved.

Their son was trying to look as bored as he could, despite sitting next to the pretty Sanderson girl. Nicole smiled as she watched him start to enjoy himself as the girl chatted to him, oblivious to his attempts to embarrass his parents by his boredom act.

“I understand that your mother was French Canadian, I speak a bit of the old français, do you speak the old lingo?” Roger asked.

“Mais certainement, j’ai passé la plupart de mes études á  Montréal, donc je le parle couramment,” she said, in her rapid accent.

Roger blushed slightly, so she smiled.

“I am sorry, my French is not exactly de France, we Canadians are always accused of bastardising the mother tongue.” She then repeated the sentence, paying attention to giving the more acceptable French pronunciation.

“Ah, je comprends,” Roger said, relieved that she had given him an escape.

“I moved away from Montreal when I was about eleven, but even in Ontario, French is still a compulsory subject. But most kids from Anglo backgrounds don’t keep it up,” she told him.

“Do you miss Canada?”

“Sometimes, but there are just too many memories for me over there. I’ve made a new life for myself over here, so I have nothing over there for me any more. There are still some of my mother’s family in Quebec, so one day I may go visit them, but at the moment I’ve enough on my plate.”

“Marjorie tells me that you are in public relations?”

She smiled, as she worked out how to avoid telling the truth, without lying.

“I work for a large organisation in the Thames Valley, I sort out people’s problems,” she said evasively, and then asked him about his work. He was off again, so she smiled to herself as he began to explain the structures of his business.

They served a delicious warm salad with partridge and bacon, followed by a simply superb Beef Wellington. There was a different wine with each course, so Nicole was careful to drink as sparingly as she could politely manage. She noticed that the men were all getting rather sloshed, so their wives were obviously doing the drive home.

Nicole felt that she was performing adequately, but wished she felt less nervous. She thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful food, and Rupert turned to her as she was appreciating the gorgeous rare beef.

“I’m so glad you are the kind of girl who enjoys her food. I simply can’t stand the veggy hat stands that some girls have turned into,” he said, and she burst out laughing.

“I’ve always loved my food, but I have to keep an eye on what I eat, as I can’t afford to change my wardrobe. But this is simply wonderful, you must have a wonderful chef.”

“Oh we do, Marjorie worked out the menu, and Maggie Stewart, Martin’s wife, does all the cooking.”

“Well she’s brilliant, I shall have to tell her as soon as I can,” she said.

“She would appreciate that.” Rupert said. He’d been watching Nicole for most of the meal, having fallen a little in love with her himself. She was just so damn nice. She charmed everyone, and had the kind of smile that warmed one’s soul. She even managed to get Madeline smiling, and caused Trevor to do the nose trick with a slightly rude joke.

His brother Roger, however, was totally captivated by her as well, so by the time the ladies withdrew, the main topic of conversation amongst the men was how lucky Jamie was and how delightful Nicole was. As the brandy and cigars were brought out, Jamie realised that he missed her dreadfully, vowing to change this silly tradition as soon as he could.

As the ladies gathered in the drawing room, Nicole spoke at some length with Madeline, and once she realised that the poor girl was in awe of her, managed to break down some barriers, so they actually got on very well. Madeline was surprised to find that Nicole was not as snotty as she had first feared, and began to relax for the first time. When Nicole admitted to being terrified on having to meet Jamie’s parents, Madeline felt ever so relieved to find this gorgeous girl was as human as she was.

The men joined the ladies for coffee and liqueurs, so Nicole had a small port, deciding that she would abstain from food for a fortnight. Jamie sat beside her, holding her hand. She smiled, as he was so like a schoolboy in so many ways. She just hoped that she was doing the right thing.

Guy Sanderson spent some time with her talking about various topical issues, and in particular crime and punishment. He was surprised at her depth of understanding on such matters, and decided he had misjudged her. He had initially thought her to be a very attractive girl, but slightly air-headed. Not so, after having a chat, he had seldom come across a young woman with such well-informed opinions.

She conversed in every subject imaginable, with the exception of religion. She had actually quite enjoyed the experience, even though it was quite the grandest dinner party she had ever attended.

Even Carol Glover had to admit that they looked the perfect couple, and actually accepted that Madeline may have to look elsewhere for her future husband. It was hard for her, as she had decided that Jamie would be the one since he was three. Madeline, on the other hand, was delighted, for she had never fancied being the Lady Calder, and thought Nicole would do a far better job. Besides, she had met a young man and was trying to work out how to tell her mother. Now she would be able to.

Trevor and Caroline Sanderson were inseparable, indeed his father had to go and find them in the garden at midnight, as they wanted to leave. All in all, it was a great success, and after the last guest departed, Nicole sank onto the sofa with a loud sigh.

Marjorie laughed. “They can be a bit wearing at times, particularly Roger. He’s always one for the girls,” she said.

“I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, even though I was flung in a bit at the deep end. I thought Maggie’s cooking was wonderful, and your menu selection was perfect.”

“Thank you, one does one’s best.”

“I should love to learn to cook that well. I’m a little better than Jamie, but I just never seem to have the time.”

“Well, if you’re able to stay with us from time to time, I’m sure I can teach you the basics. Once you’ve mastered a few of the sauces, the rest is purely the ability to understand recipes, and organisational skills.”

“I’d like that, thank you.”

“Well, I’m off to bed,” Marjorie declared, standing up. “Nicole, if you fancy going riding again tomorrow, then I shall only too happy to join you.”

“Mmm. I’d love to, any particular time?”

“Lets just say before lunch, so then we needn’t rush. Well, good night, my dear, and thank you for joining us, I feel we are a little richer for having you with us,” Marjorie bent and kissed Nicole, squeezing her hand. Nicole felt rather humble, and for once, almost speechless.

“Goodnight,” she said, as Rupert and Marjorie retired.

Jamie sat down beside Nicole, wrapping his arm around her shoulders.

“You were bloody fantastic tonight. You see, I told you there was nothing to worry about. You had them all eating out of your hand, you’re a natural.”

“A natural what?”

“A natural delight, with the ability to charm everyone you meet.”

“Oh Jamie, you don’t half exaggerate.”

“It’s perfectly true. I’ve yet to meet anyone you’ve not been able to turn round your little finger within a short space of time.”

Nicole was silent, mulling over what he had said.

“Are we doing the right thing?” she asked him, after a while.

He looked at her in surprise.

“Doing what?”

“You know, getting engaged and everything. I feel so out of my depth here, and I’m sure we are being too hasty.”

“Of all the women in the world, you’re the one I want to be my wife. That’s all I do know,” Jamie said positively.

“I know you do, but are you sure you know what you really want?”

“Yes, for once in my life I’m perfectly certain. Why do you ask, are you having a touch of the seconds?”

“Probably,” she admitted.

“Oh.”

“It’s not you, it’s me. It’s all so different, so alien to what I’m used to. I don’t know if I’m up to it Jamie, I really don’t.”

It was his turn to be quiet. He didn’t know what to say, as he was terrified of saying the wrong thing, and risk losing her forever.

“I mean, I’m from a different country, a different class, and with my background, I’d just be an embarrassment to everyone. Perhaps it would be best if we just sort of, you know, just didn’t.” she said, not sure what she meant.

“Can I ask you one question?”

“What?”

“Do you love me?”

“Of course I do.”

“If I renounced the title and all the wealth, and we just went and lived in a little flat above the restaurant, would you love me any more?”

“That’s another question.”

“Well?”

“No, I’d love you just the same.”

“Well, I love you with all my heart, and I’m willing to do whatever it takes to hang onto you, so, what will it take?”

She smiled.

“You really are an utter sod, aren’t you?”

“What have I done now?” he asked, hurt.

“You know perfectly well.” she replied, introducing him to the female version of lateral logic.

He decided to keep quiet, as he was now confused.

“Oh Jamie, I’m so confused.”

“You’re confused?” he asked, now completely baffled.

“Oh, all right, on the understanding that if it is really too much, I can call things off.”

He was quiet, unsure what to say. She took his silence to mean he was upset.

“I’m sorry sweetie, but I just find it all a bit much at the moment. I’m sure that once I get used to it all, I’ll be fine,” she said, curling her arm about his tummy.

“Come on, it’s been a long day, let’s go to bed.” he said, helping her up.

They went upstairs hand in hand, but at her door, she stopped.

“Actually your parents are very sweet, and I like them lots,” she said.

He just smiled and kissed her.

“They like you too, but not as much as I do. Thanks for coming, and thanks for just being you. I’ll be just down the landing, I won’t go to my cottage tonight. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight. And Jamie?”

“What?”

“I still want you, but I need some time to think about all this,” she said, leaving him gaping at her as she shut her door.
 

*          *          *

 
Nicole half-expected Jamie to join her in her bed, but as she went to sleep so fast, she awoke relieved that he hadn’t. The sun streamed through the green Chinese curtains, so she stretched, looking around her. For someone who had been brought up in a family that had never really had much of anything, she found the opulence of her surroundings hard to accept as real.

The additional fact that she was destined to become joint steward of this opulence made her uneasy. She had to admit, there was something beautiful about it all. She just felt it was wrong for a select few to have so much when there were so many who had so little.

She looked at her clock and saw it was seven thirty. She felt well rested, despite having drunk more wine than usual. She got up and drew the curtains. The view was tremendous, so she experienced a mix of emotions. On the one hand, she was full of trepidation, while on the other, she saw the whole thing as a wonderful adventure. As she looked over the estate, she made the decision that would change her life.

She took off her nightdress, dressing in her jeans and a tee shirt, deciding that if they didn’t like her in jeans, tough. She put on some make up and brushed her hair. She left her room, feeling she could take on the world.

She found Jamie’s room and opened the door. He was still fast asleep, on his back and snoring. She stood for a while looking at him, then she smiled and opened his curtains. The sound of the brass rings on the rail was sufficient to wake him, and he sat up, bleary eyed, and confused.

“Nikki. What time is it?”

“I think it is time that I made a sensible decision. I’ve thought about it, and have decided that the ring is far too good to give back, so I’ll hang in there and see what happens,” she said.

He frowned, and then smiled, slowly. She realised that in the mornings Jamie did everything slowly.

“You aren’t part reptilian?” she asked.

“What?”

“Do you need time to get the old blood warmed up?”

“What?”

“Oh come on Jamie. Are you always this bloody dim in the mornings?”

“Huh?”

“Yes, you are. Come on, it’s shower time. I need you operating on all cylinders,” she said, hauling the duvet off him. He was stark naked under the covers, and grinned suggestively at her. His erection was hard to miss.

She smiled. “Go and have a wee-wee, and it’ll go down,” she said, and he frowned.

“How do you know that?” he asked.

“Jamie, I’ve been there, remember?”

“Oh yes. I keep forgetting. Sorry.”

“I keep forgetting too, and I want to forget. I like this part of my life so much better.”

Jamie grinned at her and tried to grab her, but she dodged his grasp, laughing.

He padded off to the bathroom, where she heard him relieving himself. The sound of the shower made her smile, and she took off her clothes, and crept into the bathroom. The shower was in the large bath, with a big curtain around it. Jamie was oblivious to her approach. She stepped in, gently pulling the curtain back. He was shampooing his hair, with his eyes tightly closed.

“What do you want to do today?” he shouted, believing her to be in the bedroom.

“You,” she said, wrapping her arms around him.

Jamie jumped as if scalded.

“Shit. You made me jump,” he said, and then smiled.

The hot water cascaded over their bodies, so she hugged herself in close to him, as he wrapped his arms about her.

“It hasn’t gone down,” she said.

“Oh, it did for a minute, but then something happened.”

She looked up at him. “What was that then?”

“I have no idea.”

He bent downwards and their lips met, and they kissed for a long time. She broke away, taking the soap and started to wash his back. They took it in turns and washed each other, both becoming equally aroused. She took hold of his erection and stroked it.

“Turn the water off, I want you. I want you now!” she said.

Jamie turned the shower off. They took a couple of towels into the bedroom and placed them on the bed. Nicole took a condom from her jeans pocket and opened the packet. She rolled it onto his engorged penis and pushed him onto the bed. He lay there, looking at her, his desire was tempered with a little apprehension.

She knelt astride him, kissing him hard.

“Okay Jamie, think of England,” she said, reaching down and locating him into her hot and very wet little hole. She sank back, gasping as he filled her to the hilt. He began to lick and kiss her breasts, so she moaned with pleasure, beginning to rise and fall in a rhythmic motion. Her nipples, already hard, gave her an amazing sensation, so he arched his back to give deeper penetration. The rhythm became faster, so they both clung to each other. She felt herself coming, shuddering in pleasure, as her hot moisture gushed over him.

He was pounding into her as fast and as deeply as he could, and she felt herself coming again, and again. They locked themselves together in a kiss, with her tongue reaching deep into his mouth as he gave a muffled groan and a shudder, as he finally thrust deep inside her and ejaculated.

Gently, she took hold of the base of his penis and the bottom of the condom, and slowly stretched up, allowing him to safely withdraw from her. Even that action of withdrawal made her shiver with pleasure. She took the condom off his now limp penis, and kissed the knob gently. He moaned, caressing her.

“There, that wasn’t so bad, was it?” she said.

“That was fucking amazing!” he said.

She pulled him to his feet and kissed him.

“We need another shower now,” she said, so they showered again to wash off the evidence of their togetherness.

Afterwards, she left him so he could get dressed, and she returned to her room. She dried her hair, reapplying make up. She sat looking at her reflection, as she had done so often of late, she smiled. Although she had taken control, she had felt so good. She decided that being a girl was better than she had ever hoped.

She was just finishing her make up when Jamie appeared. He sat on her bed watching her, saying nothing, with a silly smile on his face.

“So, worth the wait?” she asked.

He simply nodded.

“You’ll have to wipe that smile off your face, otherwise everyone will know what we’ve been doing,” she said.

He tried, but couldn’t shift expression.

She laughed.

“Am I really your first?” she asked, standing up. He took her hand, standing close to her.

“Yes. It’s not that I haven’t tried, but I never seemed to get very far with girls. Usually they treated me as a bit of a joke. Either that or the title scared them off. As a result I got rather self-conscious and shy, so I sort of gave up trying.”

“You tried with me.”

“I know, you’re just so beautiful, I knew that I just couldn’t let you go. I just had to speak to you, even if you told me to shove off, I had to try.”

She smiled. “Well, it got you this far.”

“I never imagined it would. You have made me so happy. I can’t tell you.”

“You just have.”

He kissed her.

“And, Jamie?”

“What?”

“You’re no joke. You rang this girl’s bell.”

“Do we have to go down stairs?”

She laughed again.

“What are you like? You know what they say about too much of a good thing? Besides, if we are going to move into this kind of a relationship, I have to see my doctor.”

“Why?” he asked, worried now.

“Because, honey, I do not intend to keep Durex shareholders in dividends, and I don’t want to get pregnant because of a puncture. I’ll have to go on the pill, or we don’t do it again until we want to start a family?”

“Ah. Right. I see. Good.”

“Good, he says. Look, you have to realise that this isn’t just a game, there are serious consequences to screwing. Much as I like it, I’m not prepared to have a child I don’t want, nor do I want to catch something nasty. The latter is not a problem for us, as we are both first timers, but the baby thing is for real. I don’t want to become a mother yet. Okay Jamie?”

“That was your first time too?” he asked, surprised.

“I promise, no one has been where you have just been,” she said, neatly avoiding the whole issue.

They went downstairs, as the large clock in the hall struck nine. They found his parents in the kitchen. Rupert was reading the paper, while Lady Marjorie was pouring another mug of coffee.

“Ah, good morning you two, did you sleep well?” she said, as the young entered the kitchen.

“Very well, thank you,” Nicole replied.

“I wasn’t sure what time you wanted to get up, so I thought we should just leave you. What would you like for breakfast?”

“Coffee and toast is fine for me, thanks,” Nicole said.

“I’ll be doing bacon and eggs for these two, are you sure you won’t join them?”

“No, thanks. I ate enough last night for a while.”

“I see this Telford chappie is still loose in Canada somewhere. It makes you wonder how safe we really are,” Rupert observed.

“The problem with Telford is that he is a trained Marine in covert operations, so part of that is evading capture, so to catch him, one must be one step ahead all the time,” Nicole said, as she spread marmalade on her toast.

Rupert looked at her. “You seem to know more than the papers are saying. Is this the enquiry you are on?” he asked.

She nodded. “He’s the father of an unfortunate young transgendered kid who had a liaison with five men. As a result, Telford blamed them for his son’s gender identity crisis, and sought to kill them. We found out the identity of the fifth man before Telford got to him, but the Americans were too slow to save his life. We believe that he’s trying to return to this country so he can destroy a particular club which he considers responsible for the whole problem. I’ve been working in the club, and was responsible for learning the identity of the killer and his last target.

“I would ask you to keep this absolutely confidential, as not even the club know that I’m a police officer.”

“So what has happened to his son now?” Marjorie asked.

“His son is now called Lindi, and is undergoing Sexual Reorientation surgery. He is becoming a she.”

“Good God. What a confusing world we live in,” Rupert said.

“It all sounds very horrid and squalid to me. I’m sure you will be very pleased when he’s caught,” Marjorie said.

“Yes, very. But I have a nasty feeling he’ll return to Britain, and it’ll be us who will have to catch him,” Nicole said.

Rupert changed the subject, and he and his son discussed estate business for a while. Nicole smiled, as Jamie still did not seem to have left his few responsibilities completely.

After breakfast, Marjorie and Nicole went riding, and Nicole saw much more of the property. She also became better acquainted with her prospective mother-in-law. Nicole was as honest about everything as she could be, as Marjorie asked her searching questions about her past and any future plans. In return, Marjorie shared some of the headaches she had experienced by marrying into the family, which meant both women laughed a good deal.

Nicole found in Marjorie a mother-figure in whom she felt she could trust, while Marjorie found a daughter she had always wanted but had been denied. Indeed, Marjorie had never shared her frustrations with anyone before, yet she found herself sharing her most despairing moments with the young Canadian.

“I had four miscarriages after Jamie, and the last time I had an ectopic pregnancy with complications, so had to have a full hysterectomy. I always wanted more than one child, but we left it just too damn late.”

“Why was that?”

“Two reasons really. I was enjoying my career with horses, and Rupert has never rushed into anything in his life. We were engaged for nearly eight years, for goodness sakes. Had I my time over again, I’d have married him within the year. Either that or never married the silly bugger at all.”

Nicole frowned, so Marjorie laughed.

“Oh, Nicole, don’t misunderstand, I do love the silly old sod, but sometimes men can be so damn infuriating.”

“I know. I have the advantage in having been both sides of the fence.”

“Of course, I’m sorry, I get the impression you don’t like being reminded of that.”

“It’s not that. I just find that the person I am now is the real me, and the person I used to be was just pretending somehow. It is strange, but I feel that I’m now the person I always should have been, and I resent the fact I was not allowed to grow up as the girl I am.”

“We make a right pair. You always wanted to be a little girl, and I always wanted one,” Marjorie said, and they both smiled, but they were rather sad smiles.

“I’m just terrified that my past will cause you and everyone else so much distress,” Nicole stated.

“I can appreciate that, but if we aren’t bothered, why should you be?” Marjorie asked.

“It doesn’t bother you at all?” Nicole asked.

“Why should it? You’re female, fertile and seem perfectly normal to me. That is, apart from falling in love with my idiot son.”

Nicole laughed.

“You have no idea how much of a weight off my mind that is,” she said.

“Good, and let me also tell you that for the first time in his life, I actually wholly approve of something he’s done. So, neither of us need prove anything to the other any more. Agreed?”

“Agreed,” said Nicole, with an enormous grin.

“Good. Now, I’ll race you back, and I refuse to let you win this time.”

The women turned their horses and galloped back to the stables.
 
 
Chapter 12
 
 
Robert Telford was cramped, but content. He had made it to Montreal and found his way to the docks. The security was adequate, but no match for a determined Marine. He had found a Polish freighter bound for the Republic of Ireland. After managing to get on board, he found a secluded spot deep in the hold. He made nighttime forays to obtain food and water, so by the time the freighter sailed, he had a cosy little hole, with everything he needed to survive the five-day crossing.

He had a large plastic container for waste products, and sufficient food and water. He focussed on his task, yet he was prone to moments of strange nightmare visions. Somewhere deep in his personality he was aware that he was bordering on the insane, but his training pushed everything out, save his Mission. He was talking to himself, often bursting into silent tears over his son and what he had done. No sooner than he started, then the mission took precedence once more, so he successfully blanked out any feelings.
 

*          *          *

 
Nicole went back to the club, giving in her notice. Sean was sad to have to accept it, but understood completely when she told him that she was now engaged, with plans to have children.

“Your story is like a fairytale to the others here. They keep talking about you, and so many of them are really envious of you,” he told her.

“I know; there doesn’t seem to be any justice. A few months ago I was just like them, and now I’m what they all would sell their souls to be. I’ll work the four weeks notice, that way you can recruit a replacement.”

“Thanks, but there is no need. By all means, finish this week, but your friend Yo Ling is doing well, albeit she is only part time now. She tells me she is going in for SRS next month.”

“Already? Then her sugar daddy has relented on his six-month rule and kept his promise. I’m thrilled for her, as she deserves a fresh hand of cards,” she said with a smile.

“I’ll be sad to see you go. Don’t lose touch completely, will you?”

“Of course not, you’ve been there for me at an important time in my life,” she said.

“Good. Hopefully, we’ll get back to normal when this Telford character is behind bars. You’ll invite us to your wedding, won’t you?”

“You and Yvonne will be welcome, and maybe Yo Ling, but I think the others would be too much for my prospective in laws,” Nicole said with a laugh.

“Whatever, but if you ever change your mind, you know you’re always welcome to return. You’re a real celebrity here,” Sean said.

Nicole left work that day at midnight, returning to her little flat. Jamie was back at his restaurant, planning to uproot it and plonk the whole thing on the estate somewhere, at Nicole’s suggestion. He still stayed in his house in Henley, while the chef stayed in the flat above the restaurant.

Nicole saw the week out, and as she left the club for the last time, a Polish freighter docked at Dublin. The cargo was unloaded, and the crew went to experience the Guinness for the first time. That night, a shadowy figure left the ship, and made for the ferry port. One day after he had left, a Polish crewman found where he had been staying, and threw away the few pieces of rubbish he found. Telford had even cleaned up his little den.
 

*          *          *

 
At eight the next morning, Monday, Nicole started packing things at the flat. There was a knock on the door, and it was Bruce.

“Hi, how is it going?”

“Well, on your instructions, I’ve now finished at the club. I still don’t see why I can’t stay on until we catch him,” she said.

“I don’t want to put you in any danger. We have the support group on it now, and this is what they do well. Besides, now you’re a normal young woman, it is hardly the place for you to be seen in, is it?”

“I suppose not. So what do I do now?” she asked.

“You’re still part of my team, so you may as well stay on the job, and be part of the observation team. Have you anywhere else to stay?”

“Yes, I can stay with Jamie in Henley for the time being.”

“Good, because I really have to let these flats go back, as the job can’t afford to keep them on. So, tomorrow, just meet me at the nick at 09:00, and we will plot everyone round the local vicinity, just to keep an eye out. I’m pretty certain that he must have left Canada or America, so if he is not here already, he won’t be long. Oh, and I have to tell you, that as from now, you are on normal rates.”

Nicole smiled, for the first time in her life; she couldn’t care less about money.

He left her alone, so she called Jamie. He was absolutely delighted that she wanted to come and stay with him, so was round like a shot to collect her stuff. She took a last look round the small rather grubby flat where Nicole Le Fevre came to be, and shut the door with few regrets.

She followed Jamie’s Range Rover on her Kawasaki, and they spent the morning moving her into his small house in Henley. It was a three-bedroom house, and he was delighted when she moved into the large double room with him.

He was as excited as a schoolboy at the end of term, so she had to fight to prevent him from dragging her into the large bed.

“Jamie, wait. Calm down, we’re going to be together for a very long time, so relax, and take it easy. I only started the damn pills this week, so we have to use Mr Rubber for at least four weeks.”

However, his pestering paid off, and after she had unpacked, they went to bed, spending a frantic few minutes in each other’s arms. Jamie took the upper hand, leaving Nicole breathless and completely satisfied.

“I have to go to the restaurant now, lunch starts in half an hour,” he said, after a quick shower.

“I’ll come with you, as I don’t have to be at work until tomorrow at nine.”

He drove them to Shiplake, in time for the restaurant to open. Darren, the chef, was pissed off that Jamie had buggered off, but was mollified when he saw Nicole, as she always managed to bring order out of Jamie’s chaos. Darren retreated gratefully to the kitchen, so Jamie and Nicole took over on the outside. Jamie was charm itself to the customers, so with Nicole’s good looks and skill behind the bar, soon things were running smoothly. They did a brisk trade, closing at three, after the last customer had gone.

Nicole and Jamie went back to the house for the afternoon, but when Jamie left at six for the evening session, she stayed behind. She was going to have a quiet evening in, for the first time feeling a little domesticated. She tidied up, just taking stock of everything. Her life had been like a tornado recently, just whirling around, so she rarely had the opportunity to reflect too much.

She went for a walk by the river, where she threw some crusts for the ducks and swan. She felt happy, really happy, as she had someone to love, and who loved her; she had a job she enjoyed, and she was at last the person she loved being. She went to bed early, just reading for a while. She dozed off, to be woken at about one, when Jamie returned.

He was very quiet, but was pleased she was awake. They made love, and afterwards she fell fast asleep, holding the man who loved her.
 

*          *          *

 
The next morning, Tuesday, she was up at seven, and left the house without waking Jamie. She wore her leathers, with a change of clothes in her pannier. She had simply brought a skirt and top, and a decent pair of shoes. She did not know what she was going to have to do.

She parked in the yard at Reading Police Station, and entered as someone else was going out. She then went to the front office to let them know who she was and that her bike was in the yard. She was directed to the CID office, so a few minutes later popped her head round Bruce’s door.

“Morning Guv.” she said.

Bruce was always staggered at how attractively feminine Nicole was. He remembered Nicholas, and could not see the connection. It was if they were two completely different people. She was looking stunning in simple motorcycle leathers, and those damn boots. She looked more like a model than a police officer.

“Nicole. Welcome to Reading. Come in. You are early.”

She sat in the spare chair, and he seemed genuinely pleased to see her.

“I am glad you are, because we have to discuss how we are going to play this. Do you want a coffee?”

“Yeah, that would be nice.”

He disappeared for a few moments and returned with two cups of coffee.

“Sugar?”

“No, thanks, just milk.”

“Good, there you go. Right, I don’t know how you want to handle this. Do you want to give the full details or restricted?”

“Can we just introduce me as the undercover WDC from the Met, who managed to fool the club into thinking she was a male transsexual?”

Bruce looked at the girl in front of him. No one could ever be fooled into thinking she was anything other than a very attractive female. They certainly would never believe the truth, that she had been a male a few months previously.

“We will try that. Now John saw you there, he will be here this morning. How shall we play this?”

“Call him in, and let me have a couple of minutes with him.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, he will be fine.” she said with a smile.

Bruce arranged for her to be logged into the Local Area Network (LAN), so she could access the TVP computer systems. They gave her an electronic key fob that gave her access to the building, and she was given a locker in the ladies locker room. She smiled as she realised that she still had stuff in her locker in London - In the male officers’ locker room.

Bruce was happy that she stayed in leathers, as she had authorisation to use her vehicle on duty, so that would prove useful. At ten to nine, he called John into his office.

The big man came in, very startled to see Nicole sitting in a chair.

“Hi John, how are you?”

“Nicole. Shit, what are you doing here?” he asked, confused.

“John, I’d like to take the opportunity to introduce WDC Nicole Le Fevre to you. Nicole was on loan to us from the Met to pose as a transsexual, and was deep undercover in the club. She wanted to speak to you for a few moments before I introduce her to the rest of the team. I have to speak to the DCI, Pete and Jenny.” Bruce said, leaving them alone.

“I fucking knew it! I knew there was no fucking way you could ever have been a bloke. Oh, sorry,” he said, as he realised that he’d sworn.

“That’s okay; I guess I’m used to it by now.”

“So, you were Old Bill all along?”

“Yeah, sorry John, because I knew about you, but you couldn’t know about me. I’ve transferred to the TVP, so you may be seeing a little more of me now.”

“Thank God. You know I thought I was going gay or something,” he said.

“Excuse me?”

“You were so bloody tasty, sorry but you still are, and I fancied you something rotten. So you’ve no idea how much of a relief to find out that you’ve been a girl all along. I knew all that stuff about an operation must have been twaddle. You were just preparing to come back to normal, right?”

“Something like that, John, something like that. It’s good to see you again. I’m just so sorry I couldn’t tell you the truth.”

“It doesn’t matter. But I do have one question.”

“What?”

“You mentioned a boyfriend, I figure that someone that looks as good as you do must have a boyfriend, do you?”

She smiled and held up her left hand, showing him the enormous ring.

“Afraid so John, sorry, again.”

“Shit!” he said, with a grin. “Look, if he doesn’t work out, give me a bell, okay?”

“Sure.”

“Thanks for telling me alone, I don’t think I would’ve liked finding out with everyone else. I’m afraid I told a few people that I thought you were too bloody good looking to be a bloke.”

“That’s alright, as long as everyone knows that I’m a girl now.”

He grinned. “So where will you be working?”

“I’m in the CID here now, why?”

“Nothing, I was just hoping you would move up to MK.”

“You never know, John, you never know.”

Bruce came back, so John grinned at her and left.

“Right, Nicole, I’ve just seen the DCI, and the poor bugger is confused, so I just told him that you were female all along. I think that he’s agreed to go with that story. Ready?”

“Sure.”

Feeling desperately nervous, but trying to hide it, she followed him into the main office, where there were about twenty officers assembled. They all saw a very attractive tall blonde girl dressed in black motor cycle leather trousers and the most amazing boots. She had taken her jacket off, wearing a navy low cut top on under her jacket. She was still tanned, so most of the blokes suddenly felt their collars were getting tight.

“Okay, listen up people,” Bruce said, so a hush descended on the room.

“This is WDC Nicole Le Fevre. Just so you know, Nikki has recently transferred to us from the Met. We borrowed her several months ago to work undercover as bar staff in the Candy club. She had to pose as a transsexual for the duration, and is now officially back amongst us as who she should be. I can now divulge that she identified the suspect and the fifth victim. It wasn’t our slip-up that let Telford make the hit. The information took too long to get through to the Americans, and they didn’t have either enough time or sense of urgency to get there quick enough.

“I’m aware that various rumours may be circulating about our undercover officer. As she has joined the team today, you can all see that she is perfectly normal, so before all you hot blooded young Romeos start making your moves, I must warn you that she is engaged to be married,” Bruce said, and there was a round of laughter.

Nicole met Pete’s eyes and he winked at her. Jenny just smiled, shaking her head, as she could not really believe that Nicole was the same person as the young Met PC she met all those weeks ago.

Bruce then detailed pairs to fill the positions in the O.P.s (Observation posts) and several to take the various unmarked cars. John and three colleagues, all armed, were to pose as workmen in the old front entrance and lobby of the club, and a few officers were posted either on foot or on motorcycles just roaming the area. Bruce asked Nicole to park her bike near the park, and attempt to look like a courier on a break. Then she could just cruise the area, as the others. The force helicopter was on stand-by, ready to attend once a positive identification was made and he was on the run. There was a marked ARV as back-up, so everyone hoped that he would fall into the net.

The club was due to open at ten, so everyone was on ground assigned by nine-thirty. After Nicole parked for an hour, she decided to go for a ride to alleviate the boredom.

She remembered the Christian couple from the church, David and Carol Hemming. On an impulse, she changed direction and headed for the church. She pulled up outside the church. The place seemed open and a large group of teenagers were hanging about, doing what teenagers were really good at - nothing.

David Hemming was talking to them as the large motorcycle came to a halt. As she took off her helmet, a couple of the young lads said, “Woah.”

She smiled at David.

“Hi David, remember me?”

He couldn’t place her, but the teenagers laughed.

“Way to go. Davy. Does Carol Know?”

“I’m Nicole, and thanks to your prayers, I’m now engaged to be married.”

He still couldn’t place her, so he shook his head. “I’m sorry, I don’t remember,” he said.

“You and Carol prayed for me, and I’ve come to tell you that they worked.”

This was getting a little heavy for the teenagers, so they remembered some serious hanging about needed to be done somewhere less threatening, so the slunk away.

“I used to be called Nicholas, remember?”

It suddenly came to him. He recalled being surprised the last time, but once again, this girl seemed so utterly feminine, that he never could he imagine her as a boy.

She laughed at his confusion.

“Oh, don’t feel bad. It got me too. You see, I thought I was a male, but I wasn’t. I had some male parts, but inside I was female. I got taken into hospital by the doctors, and am now a normal, healthy and fertile female. So next time you speak to Him upstairs, thank Him for me.”

“Thank Him yourself. Look, come in, I know Carol would be really interested to see you.”

“I can’t stay long, I’m working.” she said.

“That’s right, in a bar wasn’t it?”

“Yes and no, it’s a little confusing. But you needn’t worry about it now.”

David took her inside. Carol was in the office, printing off some posters.

“Carol, look who’s come to visit us,” David said.

Carol saw Nicole and frowned, she didn’t recognise the tall girl in leathers either.

David explained, and Carol was amazed at the difference only since their last meeting.

Nicole took them into her confidence and explained fully her amazing story. She actually felt it cathartic, as every time she told it, it was as if the past got a little more distant. She needed people to know the truth and accept her for who she was now, and not who she used to be.

David made her a coffee, as Nicole explained how she felt that somehow their prayers for her had helped.

“I’ve no other explanation. One minute I was a screwed up male, wanting to be something I wasn’t and facing a very uncertain future, but the next thing I know, the doctor is telling me that actually, I am female, and with a minor surgical procedure, things could be made right. If that isn’t a miracle, then I don’t know what is,” she told them.

“So you always were a police officer, all the time?”

“Yes, it sounds weird, doesn’t it?”

“It’s strange that you’ve come by now, as we had a break in last night. They only took some food, so it was probably some kids, but what is strange is that some money was left to cover the damage. That isn’t like the kids we know, and I just can’t see how they got in. There’s no forced entry, and nothing was open when I came in this morning.”

All the alarm bells started ringing in Nicole’s brain.

“Show me,” she said.

Carol took her to the back of the premises, and pointed to a casement window.

“That’s the rear storeroom, it’s locked from the inside, so they didn’t get into the rest of the building.”

Nicole looked at the window. It was wood, and she saw the very faint mark of a flat blade against the white paint.

They went inside, so Carol unlocked the storeroom door. It all appeared very neat and tidy.

“What’s gone?” Nicole asked.

“Only some crisps, biscuits and some tins of fruit. But whoever took them tried to hide the fact they’ve gone, you see how everything has been moved forward on the shelves. It was only that I stocked up yesterday, so I knew exactly how many of everything there should be.”

Nicole sensed that this was the work of Telford, and she immediately got on the phone to Bruce.

“He’s in Reading, boss,” she said.

“How do you know?”

She explained about the break in, and the fact that there was no sign of an entry.

“I agree, good work, I’ll spread the word, go and keep your eyes peeled.”

She left the Hemmings, promising to return, and jumped on her bike. She rode back to the vicinity of the club and parked outside Rose’s café along the street. She took her helmet off, and sat on the bike trying to text Jamie on her mobile phone.

“Excuse me?” said a voice.

Robert Telford was tired. He knew that he was not well in his head, as it took him such a long time to remember what he was supposed to be doing. He woke up that morning feeling glad that this was the last day, so after he had done what he was going to do, he could just rest.

He cautiously extricated himself from his hideaway in a basement stairwell of a block of flats. The tins of fruit and biscuits had sustained him last night, but he regretted having to break into the church. He drank some water from his bottle, finishing it. He carefully disposed of all the rubbish, leaving no sign that he’d been there.

He walked out into the summer sunshine, dimly aware that he was in a dishevelled state. He had not shaved for several days, and was conscious that he probably smelled ripe, as he had not been able to wash for two weeks. He didn’t care, for today it would all end.

He walked into the familiar road, glancing towards the alley where the club was located. He frowned, as the Candy Cane sign was no longer there. He noticed workmen at the entrance, and he saw a sign was up. He saw the word ‘CLOSED’ but was too far away to read anything else.

He crossed the road, feeling anger, frustration and despair. He then thought a bit deeper, wondering whether the club had closed because of him. He wondered if he had managed to frighten them all so much, that they had to close down because of the publicity.

He looked about, just in case the police were involved and it was all a trap.

The only person he could see was a very attractive blonde girl, dressed in leathers, astride a large Kawasaki motorcycle. She was concentrating on her mobile phone, obviously oblivious of him and the rest of the world.

He watched her for a moment, admiring her natural beauty, not a little jealous of her youth and self-confidence.

Judging her safe, he approached her.

“Excuse me?” he said.
 

*          *          *

 
She looked up, staring straight into Robert Telford’s eyes. She smiled, but her brain turned to jelly. His hair and stubble appeared very grey now. His eyes had a sunken look, as he’d lost weight and was tired, for he had great dark rings around them. He looked dreadful, about twenty years older than his photograph. He also smelled awful. She had this face etched on her mind, and she knew that this was Telford.

She kept the smile going, although she felt her pulse increase.

“Yeah, what can I do for you?” she said, laying the accent out as thick as she could.

“You are American?”

“No, Canadian. You gotta problem, hey?”

“Do you live locally?”

“Sure. Are you lost, hey?”

“I was wondering, do you know the club that is over the road?”

She looked in the direction he pointed, shrugging and shaking her head.

“Which, that one that’s closed? What about it?”

“There are workmen there, do you know why?”

“It closed down a few weeks back, I don’t know why, but there was a rumour that all the members got scared and left. Why?” Nicole’s heart was racing.

Telford seemed to visibly shrink within himself, it was as if his whole reason to live had just got up and walked out on him.

“No reason, no reason. Thank you, I’m sorry to have troubled you,” he muttered and walked away.

“Hey are you okay, you don’t look so good?” she asked, quite truthfully.

“I’m fine,” he said, lurching off, entering the café. He just had to sit down, as he felt dizzy and queasy. His exertion had just caught up with him, so, with nor adrenaline left, his body wanted to shut down.

Nicole called Bruce.

“Telford’s here. I’ve got him in the café just along the street. My bike is still outside the café and I’m going in.”

“No, wait!” Bruce said, but she’d gone.

“Shit!” Bruce exploded, calling up his ARV.

“No lights, no sirens, just make for the café. There should be a bloody great Kawasaki outside. A female officer has identified Telford and is trying to keep him there until you arrive. Just wait for her to call the moves, okay.”

Nicole entered the café, seeing Telford slumped over a cup of tea in the corner. She walked over and sat opposite him, positioning herself so she could see the street outside.

“Are you sure you are okay?” she asked.

He raised his weary head and stared vacantly at her. He nodded, but then he shook his head.

“I don’t know anymore,” he said, feeling dreadful.

“What?” she asked.

“I don’t know what I’m doing anymore.”

She looked at him, licking her lips. She made a decision based on his whole demeanour and attitude.

“It’s over Robert,” she said, quietly.

He nodded, staring vacantly at his tea. Then, very slowly, as her words sank in, he frowned, raising his watery eyes and looking at her. She nodded.

“Yeah, I know who you are. My name is Nicole, Robert, I’m a police officer.”

He surprised her by smiling.

“I got past them all, the Yanks and the Canadians. They were crap,” he said.

“I’m here now, Robert.”

“Did you find out that it was me?”

“Yeah. That was me,” She saw the armed officers from the ARV move into position, so she raised a hand - wait.

He nodded at her, still smiling.

“You’re quicker than I thought you’d be. They nearly got me in America, if only they’d been two minutes earlier.”

“Yeah, but it’s over now, Robert. It’s all over.”

He nodded. “It’s over,” he agreed.

“Put the knife on the table, please Robert,” she said.

He stared at her. For an awful moment Nicole thought she’d misread the signs.

“You’re too pretty to be a copper. Do you have a boyfriend?” he asked.

“Yes, Robert I do, now please put the knife on the table, slowly.”

He nodded, reaching into his jacket pocket. He pulled out a long thin object and looked at it. Then he placed it on the table and slid it across to her. It was the poly-carbon blade in its sheath.

She took it and put it in her jacket. The armed officer just outside the café watched her as she did so, and waved to say he had seen it. She sighed silently, with relief.

“Robert Telford, I’m arresting you for the murder of Warren McCarthy and others. You don’t have to say anything, but if you do not mention, when questioned, something you later rely on in court, anything you say may be given in evidence.”

“I understand. Bit of a mouthful though, isn’t it?” he said.

“A bit. Well leave in a minute, and you won’t do anything silly, will you Robert?”

He shook his head, still looking at her.

“I’m tired. Nicole, is it?”

“Yes, I’m Nicole.”

“I have done things, Nicole, stupid things, but the bastards took away my Lenny. Did you know that?”

“Yes, Robert, I know. You’re right though, you did some silly things. Finish your tea,” she said, so he obediently picked up his cup, savouring the sweetness and warmth.

“Ready Robert?”

He nodded, so she stood up and stepped back.

He smiled at her.

“I haven’t anything against you, Nicole, so why should I hurt you?”

“I’m just a cautious girl,” she said, smiling at him.

He stepped past her, so she gently, but firmly held his arm, and they left the café. As the reached the door, she noticed that the street had been cordoned off at either end, with police everywhere. There was a TV van, of which they could see the camera from where they were. The ARV was right in front of them, with the armed officers standing next to it, MP5 carbines at the ready.

He turned and looked at her.

“Can you not take me in your car?” he asked.

She pointed to her bike and smiled.

“Sorry Robert, no room.”

“I’ll only go if you come with me,” he said.

“Okay Robert,” she said, and called Bruce on her mobile.

“Bruce, get an unmarked car, as I have to go with him,” she said.

Less than a minute later an unmarked Traffic Vauxhall Omega pulled up with two uniformed traffic officers in it. The passenger got out.

“Can you ride a bike?” she asked.

“Yes, why?”

She threw her bike keys at him.

“Follow me back to the nick please. Scratch it and I’ll have your balls.”

He grinned, and she put Telford into the rear of the car. She went round and got in behind the driver.

She took the driver’s quick-cuffs and handcuffed Telford’s hands in front of him. The journey took only a few minutes, and Telford stared at his feet for the whole trip.

They pulled up outside the custody suite, and Nicole took him in through the rear doors. The custody suite was stuffy, and the sergeant at the desk, was just completing the booking in of a juvenile shoplifter.

The young PC took his even younger prisoner down to the detention room, and the sergeant raised his eyes from the computer screen.

He looked at Nicole, and then at the scruffy Telford.

“Yes?” he said, as the main door to the station opened and Bruce came in.

“Sergeant, I’m Detective Constable Le Fevre, attached to the murder squad. At ten forty-seven, today, I identified this man as one Robert Telford, being the person wanted in connection with four murders in the United Kingdom, and one in the United States. He was in Rose’s Café. I approached him and identified myself to him. I then arrested him for the murder of Warren McCarthy at ten fifty two a.m. and cautioned him. He has not yet been searched, but he produced this knife when I asked him for it.”

Sergeant Paul Winter had seen many different offenders over the past twenty-five years, and none had the dead eyes like Robert Telford.

He booked him in, asking questions, and receiving toneless answers in reply. Nicole was ever so cool, standing back and let the male gaoler search her prisoner. The DI hovered in the background, with a huge grin on his face.

Once he had all Telford’s details, the sergeant looked at him.

“Robert Telford, I am authorising your detention at this station so that the offence or offences for which you have been arrested can be investigated to determine whether there is sufficient evidence to charge you, and you will be interviewed shortly. Whilst at the station you have certain rights, you have the right to consult with and independent solicitor free of charge, you have the right to have someone told of your arrest, and you have the right to consult the codes of practice. You can do any of these things at any time you are in Police detention. Do you want a solicitor?”

“No. I killed them, just as she said,” he replied, so the sergeant noted what he said, asking him to sign to acknowledge that it was a true record.

“Do you want anyone informed you are here?”

“Like who?”

“Anyone, your wife, perhaps?”

He shook his head.

“Take him down,” the sergeant said to the gaoler. Robert looked at Nicole with such a sad expression that she stepped forward.

“Come on Robert, time to go,” she said, holding his arm again. The gaoler looked at the sergeant, who indicated that he should let her take him.

Robert went with her without a word, but two male officers were waiting in his cell to take his clothing from him. Nicole smiled at him.

“I’ll see you later Robert.” she said, to which he nodded.

She returned to the charge desk, where Bruce grabbed her and gave her a hug.

“Bloody well done, excellent work,” he said.

She looked at the custody record, with her name down as arresting officer. It all seemed such an anti-climax somehow.

“He isn’t all there,” she said.

“What?”

“Telford, he’s not all there, mentally,” she repeated.

“What makes you say that?”

“I just know, so if he gets a good lawyer, he’ll probably plead not-guilty by reason of insanity,” she said.

“We’ll see.”

“Then he’ll escape, and it will all start again.”

“My God, you’ve just arrested the single most wanted murderer in the UK, and now you go all pessimistic on me, what’s up?”

Nicole smiled, shaking her head sadly.

“I’m sorry, but I guess it’s just reaction to everything. I’m glad we got him, and I’m glad I can now go back to live my life. In a way I’m sorry it’s all over, as it’s meant so much of a change to me, and if it hadn’t been for you and the investigation, I’d still be someone else, somewhere else, and bloody miserable.”

“Do you want to come in on the interviews?”

“Sure, do you mind?”

“No. It seems you have something of a rapport with the man, so I think it would help. I’ll run the interview, but I would like you with me. You have a sharp mind, so may think of something that I miss. Come on, I’ll buy you a coffee, and we will go over the interview plan.”

“Okay, but I think we should get a doctor to certify that he is fit to interview and fit to detain.”

“Maybe you’re right, he looks pretty knackered,” Bruce agreed, and went and spoke to the Custody Sergeant. Then the pair of them went to go to the canteen, but they saw there was a commotion outside.

The DCI was outside the front of the police station facing the TV cameras, making a statement about the arrest.

“Within the last hour a female detective from this station identified Telford, who had managed to evade the American and Canadian authorities to get to Reading. She approached and arrested him for the murders. This detective connected the burglary of a local church, where food was taken, to the suspect, so was quick enough to locate him nearby. This is an example of excellent, methodical police work, and I cannot commend this officer highly enough, as well as the other officers who have worked tirelessly over the last few months. It’s a credit to these men and women that they were able to succeed where our colleagues in the United States and Canada were not so fortunate. Enquiries are in hand to ascertain his method of getting to this country, and as to how he evaded capture.

“Telford will be interviewed and it is anticipated that a charge or charges will be forthcoming shortly. Thank you.”

“Chief Inspector, is it true that the man intended to attack a gay club in the city?” one reporter asked.

“At this time, I’m not able to say what he intended. Officers will interview him and, if there is sufficient evidence, we will charge him with what we can prove he has done. If there is evidence of his intentions, then there may be further charges. Anything else is conjecture and could damage any prosecution case.”

“Is it true that he was seeking revenge against gay men who raped his son?”

“At this point, no allegation of rape has ever been made, and neither is it expected. Once again, I warn you that such assumptions are counterproductive to the prosecution, and I would ask you to stick to the facts.”

“What are the facts?”

“Five men have met their deaths in similar circumstances, and it is our job to connect these to the arrested suspect by solid evidence. Further than that, I am not at liberty to discuss. Another press conference will be conducted should the suspect be charged with an offence. That is all, thank you.”

The press wanted more, but were not going to get it. The DCI came in and saw Bruce and Nicole.

“Bastards, why we need a free press, I will never know,” he said. “You’re DC Le Fevre?” he asked Nicole.

“Yes sir.”

The DCI looked at her and shook his head.

“This is a very strange affair. Am I to understand that you were female all along?”

She smiled. “Yes sir, only no one told me.”

“One day, when I have time, you must explain it to me. For now, just accept my thanks for an excellent job, and my congratulations on your commendation.”

“Commendation?”

“You have been awarded a Chief Constable’s Commendation, didn’t Bruce tell you?”

“No sir, he didn’t,” she said, looking at Bruce.

“Too much going on I expect, never mind, just well done, and welcome to Reading.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“I expect you are due a spot of leave, eh?”

“That would be nice, but I want to finish this job off first.”

“Good, then I’m sure I will see you about, and you can tell me your story.”

“Sure,” Nicole said, with a smile.

The DCI shook his head, “I still can believe you could ever have been mistaken for a male.”

“Neither can I, now,” she said, as he walked off to the stairs.

She went to the canteen with Bruce, where they sat and went through the interview plan. One by one, the rest of the team appeared, and congratulated her on making the arrest. Bruce arranged a debrief for 09:00 the following morning, as the hard part of case preparation was the challenge. It’s easy to arrest someone, but it is securing their conviction that is essential.

There was general relief as everyone took the rest of the day off. Many hours had spent on this operation over the last few weeks, so families would be pleased to have their loved ones back on normal eight-hour days.

Bruce went and spoke to the custody officer, and was told that the doctor was expected within half an hour. Nicole changed out of her leathers, putting on her skirt and top. She returned to the CID office and spoke to DS Bridger, who was going to be her team leader once she joined the office permanently. They had even booked her a CID course for October, so she already had her own set of correspondence trays on her desk.

“I understand that you are due some annual leave?” Mark Bridger asked.

“So I’m told. I’ve been on this operation since the end of May, without a break,” she told him.

“Shit. That’s five months. Not even rest days?”

“I was undercover seven days a week. Even my days off were on the damn job.”

“Well, give me a Gen 5 for three weeks, starting next Monday, so that will take you up to your CID course, and then once you’ve completed that, you can come straight back to work. How does that sound?”

“A Gen 5?”

“Annual leave application.”

“Oh like a 410. You must remember I was in the Met, I only transferred very recently, so form numbers are something else.”

Mark opened a drawer and gave her a form.

“This is a Gen 5, fill it in and I’ll sign it, okay?”

She smiled and nodded. Two minutes later, he signed the completed form. She wanted to tell Jamie, perhaps they could do something really nice.

“Nikki, interview time, now,” Brice said, as he looked into the main office.

“Coming,” she said, hurrying after him.

He noticed she had changed, and shook his head as he opened the door into the custody suite for her. She really was a very attractive young woman.

Although Robert had declined a solicitor, the doctor had declared that although, in his opinion, he was fit to interview, he felt that his mental state was slightly impaired. However, the impairment may not be enough to section under the Mental Health Act, but sufficient to cause concerns. The custody sergeant had contacted the Royal Marine Colonel in charge of Telford’s unit, who, in turn had arranged for an officer from their Legal Services Department to attend. He was a Lieutenant Commander in the Royal Navy, but he was also a qualified solicitor.

Telford was unmoved and simply shrugged when they told him that an officer would be present.

“Do what the fuck you like. I’m guilty, and I’ll tell truth. I achieved what I wanted to achieve, so I don’t give a toss anymore,” he said.

Finally, at around 2 p.m. Bruce sat down in the Interview room number two, along with Nicole, Robert Telford and the uniformed naval officer.

Bruse completed the necessary labels and forms, and then inserted the tapes into the machine. After the bleep, the interview started.

Bruce complied with the codes of practice by reading the set statements and questions from the card, and all parties stated their names. The interview began.

“Robert, you have been arrested for the murder of three men in this police area, and one in Scotland. It is my intention to deal with each case separately, unless you offer me any reason to do otherwise. Do you understand why you have been arrested?”

“Yes.”

“Tell me about your son?”

Telford looked at Bruce and then at Nicole.

“They took him away. Those bastards took him and ruined him.”

“Who did?”

“Those five bastard queers.”

“Do you mean Warren McCarthy, Charles Ronson, Adrian Tate, Daniel Fleming and Simon Harris?”

“Yes, those five buggering little bastards.”

At this point, the naval officer tried to advise Robert to make no comment, but Robert would have none of it.

“I want the world to know what these bastards did, and if it means I go to jail, then I don’t care, because I’ve given them justice.”

The interview continued, and Telford admitted to each murder in turn, in graphic detail, with no remorse whatsoever. Nicole asked one question about Lenny, making Telford break down in tears. The full story about how he intercepted the letters, and the description of the sex acts that they had done to his little boy so sickened him that he swore he would deal with it the only way he knew.

Nicole asked him about America, and Telford told them how he evaded the police, and swam his way into Canada. Then he told them about his route across Canada and the Polish ship. The trip from Eire to the UK was simple by comparison.

Finally, Bruce pulled it together, terminating the interview. Telford was taken back to his cell, and the Naval Officer, Stephen Laing, shook his head.

“The frightening thing is that many members of the public would side with him.”

“Only because he’s given one side of the story, and if the other side’s are made public, then the whole thing could be seen very differently,” Nicole said.

“Oh?”

“His son is a transsexual. For whatever reasons, whether it’s due to his upbringing, or whether he was born like it, he wants, with all his heart and soul, to be female. He has always wanted this, but his father would not and could never accept it. So he did the only thing left to him, he left home and tried to find others like him. He found them, and became the person he wanted to be, a girl called Lindi.

“Planning to have a full surgical sex change, she wrote to her mother, telling her of her life and job. This was fine until Telford found a letter, and intercepted the others. Lindi’s mother never saw them, and Lindi, hurt and angry, became sexually promiscuous, and went to a party with the five victims. There were only consenting adults there, and nothing was done that isn’t done behind many locked doors up and down this country, but Lindi wrote to her mother again, but Telford intercepted the letter and he read all about it.

“These men are dead because of what this man has done, firstly by preventing his son from communicating by letter to his mother, and secondly by the physical act of sticking a very sharp blade into them. He is a murderer, nothing more, nothing less. Now tell me the public will side with him,” she said.

Bruce smiled, looking down at his paperwork, while Stephen looked embarrassed.

“I’m sorry, I must agree, it does make a difference, doesn’t it?”

“It certainly does,” she said, and walked out of the interview room.

“Phew, I apologise, Inspector. I didn’t mean to upset your colleague.”

“Nicole isn’t upset, if she were, you’d be bleeding from somewhere. She just likes things to be kept in perspective, that’s all.”

Stephen smiled. “I’ll remember that, thank you.” He followed her out, with Bruce bringing up the rear. Nicole was making an entry about the interview on the custody record, and Stephen came up to her.

“I apologise if my remarks upset you. I did not intend to,” he said.

She looked at him, her blue eyes steady and cool.

“I was not upset, but I just hate to see people jump to assume things through a lack of true facts. My job is to ensure that facts are dealt with properly, and evidence presents those facts clearly and openly,” she said.

Stephen smiled, realising that this case would be un-defendable from the evidence side of things, his only hope would be Telford’s state of mind.

“Good, then this case should be relatively straight forward,” he said.

“No case is straight forward, because we have to deal with lawyers, and that’s where the harsh realities of life are turned into a game. I’m sorry, but lawyers don’t actually know anything about victims, their families or genuine suffering,” she said.

“We only deal with the evidence.”

“I know, while most coppers deal with people, that’s the difference. Our problem is that we are very good at dealing with people, and sometimes that clouds our evidence gathering abilities. Not with me, I owe it to the victims and their families to get the evidence absolutely spot on, and that includes medical opinion as to your client’s state of mind,” she said, with a small smile.

Stephen smiled, this was one switched on woman, and he had underestimated her by seeing only her stunning good looks.

“Touche,” he said, and she nodded, leaving him standing by the charge desk.

Telford was brought out, so Bruce formally charged him with the murders of Darren McCarthy, Simon Harris, and Daniel Fleming in the Reading area. Adrian Tate was murdered in Scotland, and would face a further charge under Scottish law there. The US authorities were seeking extradition for their offence, so Robert Telford was unlikely to see freedom for a while.

Nicole fingerprinted him, and completed the paperwork in respect of the Police record information. He was taken back down to his cell for the last time, and Nicole suddenly felt very tired. She looked at the clock. It was seven o’clock. It had been a long day.

“Fancy a drink?” Bruce asked.

“Are you buying?”

He laughed. “The team is all meeting at the Greyhound later, are you coming?”

“Sure, I need something to eat though.”

“Me too, how about a Chinese, and then we can join them?”

“That sounds good.”

Bruce rang his wife, who was pleased that they had finally charged their man, and understood the need for a final team drink. She had been a policeman’s wife long enough.

Bruce and Nicole walked to the Chinese restaurant a short distance from the station, and enjoyed a good meal. He found the girl exceptionally good company, totally forgetting she had ever been anything other than the delightful woman she appeared to be now.

“So, what about this commendation you never told me about?”

“I’m sorry, they put you up for it, and I had to send it back as it was in your former name, I forgot with Telford’s little escapade in the States.”

“Oh.”

“Besides, you’ll probably get another one for making the arrest. You were wrong to go in without backup, you know that?”

“Bollocking accepted. I just read him right, I knew that he was ready to give up, and I was never in danger. I still called you, and the ARV was there in less than two minutes.”

“He killed people in less than two minutes.”

“He would never have hurt me.”

“No, I don’t suppose he would,” he said and smiled. “You just have that sort of effect on everyone you meet.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Nicole asked, frowning.

“It’s funny, but I’ve watched people around you, and you seem to have this knack of bringing the best out of them. It’s like you have a sort of spring of inner joy that’s catching.”

She smiled. “That’s because I do. You have no idea how I feel now, compared to the old me,” she told him.

“Really?”

“I knew that I wasn’t right when I was about six or seven. But I just got on with life. It wasn’t too bad as a child, but then puberty hit me, and I was confused and a bit angry. I had two conflicting feelings; one was as what I look liked, and that was male, so I felt I had to be what everyone expected of me. And the other was what was inside me, it was a dark secret, and I was ashamed of wanting to be a girl.

“So I lived in denial, and successfully hid those dark feelings deep inside me. I didn’t even admit them to myself, and when my parents died, I thought if I could start afresh somewhere new, they would disappear. So, I did, and they didn’t.

“Then along came the Thames Valley Police, and here I am. I now know what it means to be truly happy, so thank you,” Nicole said, with tears in her eyes.

Bruce swallowed. “I never knew.”

“No one did. I told the shrink, and Rachel, but I have never told anyone else, not even Jamie.”

“Jamie? Oh, your young man?”

“Yes, he’s very sweet, but I don’t think he could cope with the full truth for a while. He is just coming to terms with the medical side.”

“You know it will all come out in the end, these things always do?”

“I know, but I’ve nothing to be ashamed of. I don’t think I look a freak, do you?”

“No, I certainly don’t. Far from it, I know many women who have always been female, who look far more male than you do,” he said with a chuckle, and she smiled.

Bruce waved at the waiter for the bill, rather reluctantly. He was enjoying himself rather too much.

“Let me get half,” she said.

“No, this is on me, as it’s the least I can do.”

“Thanks, it was great.”

He paid the bill and they left, he felt an undeserved feeling of pride to be seen escorting such a good-looking girl. A group of young men stared at her, openly admiring. Then he smiled, they probably think I’m her dad, he thought to himself.

They arrived at the Greyhound and most of the team were already well on the way to being sloshed. As they walked through the door a great cheer was given, and neither of them knew for whom it was meant, but both reddened as a result.

“This is how rumours start, Guv,” one of the DCs said, thrusting a pint into Bruce’s hand.

“What are you drinking then Nikki?”

Nicole was in a quandary, as she had to ride all the way back to Henley on her bike afterwards.

“Just a Bud, please,” she said.
 

*          *          *

 
Two hours later, Jamie was about to leave the restaurant when his mobile went.

“Jamie Calder.”

“Hi honey, it’s me.” Nicole sounded very strange.

“Nikki, what’s the matter?”

“I need you to come and get me.”

“Why, what’s happened?” he asked, worried that she had crashed her bike.

“I’m pissed,” she said, giggling.

“What?”

“I arrested Telford, and we all went for a drink. I didn’t mean to get pissed, but they kept buying me Buds.”

“Where are you?”

There was a pause and he heard her asking someone where she was, and there was a lot of laughter.

“In a pub,” she said, giggling hysterically.

“Which one?”

“The Greyhound.”

“I know it. I’ll be there in twenty minutes. Don’t do anything stupid.”

“I’ve only got falling over to go now,” she said, and giggled again.

He hung up and smiled. Perhaps the angel was human after all.
 

*          *          *

 
Jamie pulled up outside the pub in his Range Rover. It was after midnight, but he could hear a party still in full swing. He went in and looked about the inside of the pub. There were lots of very happy men and a couple of women, obviously all police officers. Some were uniform officers with their epaulettes missing, but most were in plain clothes. There was no sign of Nikki.

An older man came up to him, he was still relatively sober.

“You must be Jamie? I’m Bruce, Nikki’s Inspector. She wanted to leave an hour ago, and they wouldn’t let her. She has had about eight Budweisers, and I think she’s in the loo.”

“Oh, is she alright?”

“She’s fine, but will be horrible in the morning,” Bruce said with a grin.

“What about her bike?”

“It’s fine, it’s in the yard at the nick. But she will need a lift in for nine.”

“I can do that. I just have to find her now.”

Bruce turned and shouted at another woman.

“Jenny. Go see if Nikki is alright, could you? Her bloke is here.”

The woman went off and returned with Nikki. She saw Jamie, grinned and ran, slightly wobbly, to him.

”Hiya gorgeous,” she said, kissing him.

“Hi yourself. Come on, let’s get you to bed.”

“Oh, yes, let’s go to bed,” she said, and giggled again.

“Night everyone, we’re going to bed,” she shouted, so Jamie went bright red. He needn’t have worried, as no one paid any attention.

“Go on, and good luck,” Bruce said.

“Thanks, I think I’m going to need it,” Jamie said with a grin.

He got her into the car, which was a major event in itself, as she insisted on hitching her skirt up to clamber into the front of the Range Rover. She was feeling incredibly good, and very conscious that she had drunk too much.

“I’m so lucky,” she said, as Jamie started to drive off.

“Why?”

“Because I have such a lovely guy to come and rescue me, and I love him so much.”

He smiled, but then he felt her hand at his zip.

“Hey, what are you doing?”

“Something nice for you.”

He felt her hand touch his cock, and he instantly started to harden. He reluctantly pulled her hand away, placing it in her own lap.

“Not while I’m driving, let’s wait until we get home,” he said.

“I might be asleep by then,” she said, and giggled again.

He drove carefully, but fast, hoping she wouldn’t fall asleep, or even worse - vomit in his car. He parked the car on the drive, so she opened her door and almost fell out of the seat.

“Come on, let’s get you to bed,” he said, helping her inside. She managed the stairs, just, falling back on the bed.

“Room’s spinning, honey, make it stop,” she said.

He pulled her up, so she was sitting.

“Oh. Thanks, how did you do that?”

He smiled. “Magic,” he said, so she giggled, reaching out for him.

He stood her up and undressed her, and then himself. Taking her by the hand, he took her into the bathroom and started the shower. He put her in under the water, and then joined her.

They stood embraced for quite a while, as he gently caressed her shoulders and back. She just clung to him, making little moaning noises. He felt himself harden, once more, so she giggled as it tickled her tummy. Her arm snaked up around his neck and she pulled his head towards her, and their lips met.

Her hands were behind his back, and she was clinging on tight, he moved his hands to her bottom, and he pulled her tight against him. She wiggled her pelvis so she could feel his hardness against her belly.

She broke off from the kiss, taking his hand and led him to the bed, once again he spread towels across the counterpane. She pushed him back and knelt astride him again, so he slid into her. She was very wet and ready for him. He remembered that they were not using a condom, and he tried to stop, but she said, “Just fuck me Jamie, if I get pregnant, we’ll have to get married earlier. But I want to feel you squirt your stuff inside me.”

There followed such a passionate an intense session that Jamie almost cried. He felt so much at one with her, knowing that no one else would ever come close to her. He ejaculated into her, just as she came for the last time, and they sank back exhausted, still clinging to each other.

After ten minutes, he realised she had gone to sleep, so he managed to extricate himself, and took another shower. When he returned, she had not moved, so watched her sleeping, naked and vulnerable.

She was so beautiful; he just sat on the bed and looked at her for ages. Then he covered her with the duvet, slipping in beside her. She immediately snuggled up to him and wrapped an arm across his chest. He smiled and went asleep.
 
 
Chapter 13
 
 
He was awoken by Nikki swearing.

“Bugger.”

“What’s up?”

“I’ve got the curse,” she said, stomping off to the bathroom. He heard the shower going.

He grinned, a hangover and the curse - Not a good day to be around her, he thought.

He got up and glanced at the clock. It was just after eight.

“You have to be at work in an hour,” he reminded her.

“I know.” she said, sharply.

He grinned again, as he pitied any lawyer or criminal who crossed her today.

“Well, at least you aren’t pregnant,” he said.

“Mores the pity,” she said, “I feel bloody awful, Jamie.”

“I wonder why?” he said, as he came into the bathroom. She was sitting on the loo, stark naked, except for a towel wrapped round her hair. She held her head in her hands.

“I was pissed, wasn’t I?”

“Just a bit.”

“Bastards, they knew I didn’t want more than one.”

“Did I hear right, that you arrested the murderer, Telford?”

“Yes, yesterday morning, haven’t you seen the news?”

“No, too busy. What happened?”

She told him all about the yesterday’s events, and that she was going to be in court with him this morning.

“I’m proud of you. Does this mean you’ll be able to get some time off, and we can make a formal announcement of our wedding plans?”

“Oh, yes. Shit, I meant to tell you, but got pissed instead. I’m taking three weeks off, from this Monday. I have to be back for my CID course on the 17th October. I thought we could go somewhere or something?”

“Sounds good, any idea what?” he said, as he lathered his face to shave.

“No, and the way I feel at the moment, a crematorium sounds fun. Pass me that box under the basin, there’s a love. There are definite advantages to being female, but this is not one of them.”

He passed the box of tampons to her, and concentrated on shaving. He was pleased that she seemed to be so unselfconscious in his presence, but he felt very uneasy. She noticed and laughed.

“Come on Jamie, get used to it. If we get married, you’ll have this for a long time to come.”

“If? I hope you mean when?” he said.

“Okay, when,” she said, standing up and embracing him from behind.

“Thanks,” she said.

“What for?”

“Last night. Coming and getting me, and then making wonderful love to me. And for trying to be sensible, I wasn’t, so I deserve to get pregnant.”

“I wouldn’t mind if you did, it would mean you would be my wife faster.”

She just hugged him, cleaned her teeth, and then went to get dressed.

After two black coffees and one piece of toast, she was ready to go. Despite her feeling like death, she looked stunning. She was wearing a navy pinstripe skirt and jacket, with a pale blue short sleeve blouse, and dark stockings, with court shoes. She looked more like a barrister or corporate executive than a police officer, Jamie thought.

“You look wonderful,” he said.

She smiled. “Yeah, but I feel like shit.”

Jamie drove her back to Reading, dropping her off at the police station.

“Are you sure you are okay?” he asked, as she kissed him goodbye.

“I’m fine. I’ll call to tell you what time I’ll be home. Okay?”

“Fine. Good luck,” he said, as she walked into the station. He smiled and drove home. Three weeks. He tried to think of something they could do for three weeks, but he never got further than the bedroom.
 

*          *          *

 
Nikki found the office in a chaotic state, as they started to get back to normal after so long disruption. Several of the officers had been away from normal work for so long that there was a backlog of work. She found Bruce, and together they put the file for the CPS for that morning’s hearing. It would just be a quick in and out, and a remand for a committal to the crown court.

“The press are going to around, so we must look sharp. The DCI want us to have a press conference, and wants you there.”

“Why?”

“Because you’re my star.”

“I’m not sure that is a good idea, all my ex-colleagues in the Met will see me.”

“It has to come out sometime, if we can control what they say, so much the better.”

She was very uneasy, but shrugged. Whatever will be, will be. Then she had a thought.

“Then I need to quickly go and see someone. I won’t be long,” she said, leaving him staring after her.

She took a plain car from the yard, and drove to the club. It was back to normal now, so she knocked on the door. It opened, and Gary, one of the doormen, smiled at her.

“Hi Nicole, coming back then?”

“Sorry Gary, just a flying visit. Is Sean in?”

“Yeah, in his office.”

“Thanks.”

She made for his office, noting that the place was quiet, it was not open yet, so most of the staff were not in.

She knocked on his door and entered. Sean was behind his desk, he smiled at her.

“Nikki. Good to see you, ready for your old job back? Oh, you look sharp,” Sean was obviously pleased to see her.

“Sean, I need to tell you some stuff, and I am afraid you may not like it, one bit. But I feel you needed to know now,” she said, and his face fell.

“Go on, what kind of stuff?”

“Well, all the stuff about me is true, and nothing was made up there, but I’m not exactly who you think I am. My real name is Nicole Le Fevre, it was Nicholas, that part was all true. But I actually had a job when I came to you. I’m a police officer, and was working with DI Appleby on the Telford job. They put me in deep undercover to try to find out some intelligence without causing your members any embarrassment. All the medical stuff happened just as I was here, and so I didn’t have to pretend that. I’m sorry, but I couldn’t tell you.”

Sean frowned, looking at her.

“I’m sorry too. I thought we were your friends?”

“You are, that is why I’m here. If we go to the press, we want to say that undercover officers worked closely with the management to find a satisfactory way to deal with the problem. I arrested Telford yesterday, just down the road. He was going to blow this place up.”

“You did?”

“Yes, I did.”

He stood up, coming round from behind his desk.

“You could have told me.”

“I wanted to, but it wasn’t my decision. Just as your directors tell you what to do, my bosses do the same. But I swear to you, no confidences have been broken, and no adverse publicity will be brought onto the club because of my actions. My evidence is minimal, apart from the actual arrest, and that is not directly linked with the club.”

He nodded and smiled.

“In a million years, I would never have guessed.”

“You weren’t meant to,” she said with a smile in return.

“I thought they’d try, and I turned away two applicants because I thought they might be coppers. But it was your accent more than anything else, and the fact you came already under the doctor.”

“I’m sorry Sean.”

He shook his head. “Don’t worry, no harm done. I have to admire you, what a thing to do. So what happens now?”

“My boss wants to hold a press conference, and we’d like to say that the club cooperated fully in the operation. No names or details will be given, but it won’t bring you any adverse press.”

“In this business, any press is adverse,” he said, with a short laugh.

“Again, I’m sorry, I’d have rather you had known earlier.”

“Not your fault, but I appreciate you coming to tell me.”

“Thanks, I still value your friendship.”

He smiled, shaking his head.

“You just have a way with people, no one can stay angry long.”

“That’s what Bruce said,” she said, and grinned.

“He’s all right, as it happens.”

“He’s a good bloke. Actually, I have a favour to ask, but I feel bad about asking it, as I’ve been less than honest with you.”

“Go on.”

“Well, as you know I was a male, well, sort of a male. But, with everything that has happened, I may be sort of in the media spotlight, and I was hoping to keep it very quiet that I was a bloke. Now I realise that the tabloids will pay for news, and the girls here will be tempted to cash in on it. Can I ask that we try to keep the fact I worked here nice and quiet? I do intend to release some information, but in a controlled way, and I know that a lot of people knew me as Nicholas, so the truth will eventually come out.

“It’s not for me, but for Jamie’s family. They don’t deserve the kind of shit I could bring onto them. If that happens, I’ll have to disappear, I couldn’t bear that.” she said.

As Sean looked at the girl in front of him, his heart went out to her, as it did to all the kids who worked for him. Life was bad enough from the inside, let alone the cruel way that society treated them.

“I’ll have a word with them all. Actually, you’re a sort of role model and heroine for them, so I think they’ll only be too happy to oblige.”

“Thanks Sean, I don’t deserve friends like you,” Nicole said, looking quite emotional.

“Don’t be silly. We love you, girl, so, go on, marry your Duke and fly the flag. Oh, and keep in touch, we still want to come to the wedding.”

“That’s a date,” she said, and kissed his cheek.

“Bye,” she said, and left him.
 

*          *          *

 
Robert Telford was brought out of his police cell, wearing a shapeless pair of denim trousers and a blue tee shirt. He had little socks on his feet, as all his clothing and boots had been taken from him.

The private security firm contracted to transport detainees to court had arrived, and the two staff were waiting for him. The sergeant had them sign for him, handing the relevant forms over. A tall security officer with grey hair searched him, and then handcuffed himself to Telford.

They went through the doors that Nicole had brought him on the previous day, and then onto the van. Each detainee was placed into his or her own little compartment, and the handcuffs were removed. The journey to court was a short one, but there were many press and cameras waiting for him. They tried to take pictures through the darkened windows.

He was taken down to the cells in the court, where he sat and waited. There were other detainees. Kids, mostly, up for petty crimes, none even tried to talk to him.

His case was called quickly, so the gaoler took him to the dock in number one court. He noticed the two police officers who interviewed him, one being the pretty Nicole with the Canadian accent, who had the balls to approach him in the café. She almost smiled at him, and he tried to smile back, but his heart was too heavy.

The naval officer was there, and he came over and told him what was going to happen. That was pointless, he knew what was going to happen.

The magistrates came in and everyone stood up. The Clerk asked Robert his name. The CPS solicitor asked for a remand in custody for committal proceedings, so the court remanded him for two weeks. The security guards took him down and he waited for a while, and then another van took him to prison. Everyone, staff and inmates alike, were afraid of him, and so he started making plans.
 

*          *          *

 
“That was quick,” Nikki said.

“Now comes the hard part, getting the full committal file together,” said Bruce.

As they walked out of court, she noticed that TV cameras were being set up outside.

“Ah well, here goes,” Bruce said, walking out into the September sun.
 

*          *          *

 
It was noon, and Jamie was watching the news on the small TV in the restaurant’s staff rest room.

The news reporter on the scene was saying.

“Robert Telford has just been remanded in custody by magistrates in Reading a few minutes ago. The committal proceedings to the crown court will take place in two weeks time. Telford faces three charges of murder, all happening here in Reading over a series on months. I spoke to the officer in the case, Detective Inspector Appleby as he left the court.”

The scene changed to the man that Jamie had seen in the pub the previous night, and standing right next to him was Nicole, looking gorgeous and sophisticated.

“This was not exactly a straight forward investigation, was it, Inspector?”

“Far from it. I would like to commend the officers who have worked tirelessly to achieve this result, but warn that this is not the end. We seek a conviction, and so I am restricted to what I can say. But officers from the Thames Valley, Grampian Police and our colleagues in North America, have all been seeking the arrest of this man.”

“How did you manage to catch him, I understand he’s an expert in covert operations?”

“My colleague here, Detective Constable Nicole Le Fevre, was the arresting officer, and it is through her courage and intelligence that the arrest was made without incident,” Bruce said, and the cameras focussed onto Nicole.

“She has already received a commendation for her work in this case, and she is one of many excellent officers that I am proud to work with.”

“Nicole, was Telford violent on arrest?”

She shook her head, smiling right into Jamie’s heart.

“No, he gave himself up without any struggle. I identified myself to him, and he even handed over the suspected weapon when I asked him for it.”

“Do you think he was in his right mind?”

She smiled again. “I’m a police officer, not a doctor. I believe he knew what he was doing, but I’m sure that doctors will be brought in to argue this matter if needs be,” she said.

“Is there any doubt in your mind that he is guilty?”

“None at all, but I’m not a jury,” she said, and the screen returned to the reporter.

“Robert Telford, decorated for gallantry as a Royal Marine, killed five men. Why? Until this case goes before the court, we may not know for certain, but it is suspected that Telford was out for revenge against five homosexual men with whom his son, a transsexual, had intimate relations. I put this question to DI Appleby.”

“Is it not true that a club in Reading that caters for gays and transgendered people was the root of the problem?”

“The root of the problem seems to have been Mr Telford’s inability to deal with his son’s gender difficulties, and not the club. The club has been honest and open and has cooperated with police all through the investigation. Indeed, police were permitted to work undercover in the club, and as a result Telford is now in prison.”

Again, the reporter was on the screen.

“Telford is up before the magistrates in a fortnight, and should be committed for trial at the Crown court in a couple of months. Once again, we may never know what made him do what he did. This is Robert Symes for ITN News, in Reading.”

Jamie turned off the TV and rang his parents.

He got his father. “It’s me,” he said.

“Ah, I was going to ring you. We’ve just seen the news, it seems your girl is a celebrity.”

“She looked great.”

“Yes, I agree, I thought she came over very well. Are you seeing her later?”

“Yes, look, Dad, she’s living with me now.”

“Really? How come?”

“She had to leave the flat she was in, and hasn’t had time to get her own place.”

“Is she going to bother to get anywhere now?”

“I don’t think so, no. Dad, she’s brilliant, I never dreamed I could be so fortunate.”

“Well, don’t mess it up. If it any consolation, I overheard your mother telling some of her chums how much she thought of Nikki, so there you go.”

“We’re going to make a formal announcement this weekend, Nicole is off for a few weeks, would you like us to come down for a few days?”

“That sounds nice, we can have a little photo shoot for the press, and get all the silliness out of the way. We’ave already had the Tatler and Hello Magazine making enquiries. Do you want me to put it in the Telegraph and the Times?”

“Could you? We haven’t had a chance to discuss it yet.”

“I will need to know her parents’ names, it should really come from her side, but I can’t see that happening. I’ll get in touch with the court editors and have some words.”

“Thanks, it’s all a bit new to me. I’ll ring you after I have her parents’ names, alright?”

“Fine, and look after her, she’s very special.”

“I know, bye.”
 

*          *          *

 
Nikki and Bruce were sitting in the Chief Superintendent Mike Osborne’s office in the station.

“Good job, Bruce, well done.”

“Thank you, sir. But it was a team effort.”

“I know, but credit where credit is due, you made decisions that got the results. You’re in line for a commendation too, for leadership and detective ability.”

“Thank you, sir.”

Osborne turned his eyes to Nikki.

“And you, young lady, what can I say? I’ve just read Bruce’s report and I’m completely at a loss.”

“Sir?”

“You seem to have broken the back of this case, whilst struggling with personal difficulties that would be enough to confound most people. Yet, here you are looking totally unruffled and at ease with yourself. Are you coping?”

Nikki smiled, making Bruce laugh, which made Osborne frown.

“Would you care to share the joke Bruce?”

“Well sir, this is one completely well adjusted young woman, for whom the Thames Valley Police appears to have undertaken a remarkable favour. Not only is she completely at ease with herself, but she makes everyone she meets feel good about life too.”

Nicole reddened, again, looking down for a moment.

“It’s true sir. I’ve been given an opportunity to become the person I always wanted to be, and still do the job I love. I appreciate that there are people who will not understand what I had to go through, but I’m hoping to show that I’m as good at the job as I’ve ever been,” she said.

“If not better,” added Bruce.

“Indeed. Still, you are to be congratulated, the Chief Constable is going to give you a double commendation, one for your painstaking undercover work, and one for the actual arrest. He’s in Paris attending a conference for a few days. But I’m sure that in a few weeks, we can a range a suitable day for you to get together with him.”

“Thank you, I’m sure that’ll be fine.”

“Can I ask you a personal question?”

“Sir?”

“I understand that you had all the female bits lying sort of dormant inside you, what triggered it all to become active?”

“I’m not sure, but I was given a hormone injection and implant to feminise me, so it could have been that.”

“I have to ask, do you have any intention or inclination to take any legal action over what has happened to you?”

“None at all, I consider what has happened to me as a bonus,” she said with a huge smile.

“Good, I had some legal chappie from Headquarters on the phone, terrified that you would sue us for ruining your life.”

“On the contrary, you’ve vastly improved it.”

Mike Osborne laughed, partly out of relief, and partly because he found her very refreshing and so up-beat.

“I note you’ve some leave planned, what are you going to do with it?”

“I’m not sure, my fiancé and I are announcing our engagement this weekend, and so we hope to get away for a while.”

“Congratulations, that was quick,” he said, surprised.

“I know, but these things happen when you least expect them.”

“Is he in the job?”

“No, he was nothing to do with the case, we just met by chance. Another reason for me to be grateful to the TVP,” she said, smiling.

“One last thing. Our press officer is fielding many enquiries, mainly from the tabloids, for a photograph of you. I have to admit, you’re more photogenic than many of the officers here. Some have even requested you with few clothes on, but they have been advised suitably. We have the SOCO and his camera, I suggest you have some taken, and we can release them to the press. If you have some done of the whole team, Bruce, then we can get them into Thames View, Police, Police Review and Constabulary magazine as well.”

Bruce took his whole team into the yard, where Dave Carpenter, the SOCO, took pictures of the group, some of just Bruce and Nicole, and several of Nicole on her own.

They then went back to the routine of collecting statements, exhibiting evidence and compiling lists of witnesses. Nikki just fitted in and did her share of the work. At three o’clock she rang Jamie to tell him she would be home at about five thirty. He had had a meeting with the chef and some of the staff, so they were actually looking at ways of transferring the business to the estate.

Jamie took on the task of identifying a suitable location, and equipping it. Darren the chef just kept the restaurant going in situ for in the meantime. They had a very good assistant manager in Henrietta Goodworthy, who had started as a barmaid, and was very efficient at taking bookings and managing the books.

So, Jamie relinquished a bit of control, and examined the estate in some detail to locate his new venture. He was keen to get Nikki along side him, but found she was unwilling to relinquish her job. She agreed that further down the line the police may be not practicable, but until then she was staying.

As it happened, she was a little later than planned, as she stopped off and did a little shopping. She had decided to do the dinner that evening.

Jamie was as bouncy as usual, as he was full of her brief TV appearance. She went and changed into a pair of jeans and an old tee shirt, and then went and prepared a Pork Stroganoff. She had been looking at some recipes and this had caught her eye.

Jamie opened a bottle of wine, and hovered in the background, chatting to her as she worked.

“How are you feeling?”

“A bit better. The hangover has gone, but the other hasn’t,” she said, so he gave her a glass of Chardonnay.

They chatted about each other’s day, and she told him about the commendations.

“No more than I expected,” he said, smiling.

He then told her about the plans for the weekend. He half expected her to object, but she nodded and agreed without comment. She dished up, and they sat close together in the small dining room of the house.

“This is really very good,” he said, and she laughed.

“Don’t sound so surprised.”

“Well, it is. You haven’t cooked for me before, not properly,” he observed.

“Well stop complaining and pour me some more wine,” she said.

“I think I’ve found somewhere we can put the restaurant.”

“Oh yes, where?”

“Well, do you remember the other day, when you had a vision for your outdoor activity centre?”

“It was hardly a vision; I just put forward some vague possibilities.”

“Whatever, well, there’s an old cottage just next to the woodland. It used to be by some estate workers, but fell into disuse when the slump happened in the sixties. I may try to renovate it and move the restaurant there. It has ample parking, it’s far enough from the house, yet close enough to be handy, and it can serve both those on the estate and those from outside. What do you think?”

“I think I would have to see it,” she said.

They finished the main course and she produced some apple pie that she had made. Jamie realised that there was more to Nikki than he had ever thought.

“Is there anything you can’t do?” he asked.

She frowned as if deep in thought.

“I can’t ever have memories of being a little girl,” she said, somewhat sadly.

“I didn’t mean that, and you know it.”

“I don’t know. I guess there are lots of things, I can’t play any musical instruments, and I can’t make my past go away.”

Jamie began to feel frustrated at her.

“The point I am trying to make, is that if you turn your hand to anything, you seem able to do it.”

“Yeah, I know, but I’m allowed to be a moody, contrary cow today,” she said with a smile.

“Oh. I see,” he said. “No I don’t, what are you talking about?”

“Jamie, I have had everyone singing my praises wherever I turn, even when I don’t either expect it or want it. You’re always so full of how wonderful I am, and to be honest, I don’t feel that bloody wonderful. I feel like shit. I’m terrified of the press making a scandal of my past across the nation’s papers. I’m terrified of hurting you or your family, and of losing you. I don’t know what to do with my life. Do I stay in the police or do I come out?” she said, on the verge of tears.

“But, most of all, I just want to live my life and find some happiness.”

Jamie didn’t know what to say, so he took her hand.

“Just know that whatever happens, I will always be here for you.”

She smiled, and stroked his cheek.

“Thanks honey, I know, but don’t put me on a pedestal, I’ll only disappoint you and fall off.”

After they had finished, they washed up together, a picture of domestic contentment. He felt so tender towards her, and they snuggled together on the sofa and watched some inane TV programme.

They had an early night, and she fell asleep in his arms.
 
 
Chapter 14
 
 
Thursday came with a shock. The Sun had a large photo of Nicole posing by a police car, with her jacket over her shoulder, and looking stunningly attractive. They ran the headlines: -
 
 


Real Life Angel Busts Killer Marine
Stunning Detective Nicole Le Fevre, in true Charlie’s Angels style showed the FBI and Mounties how to do the job on Tuesday, when, single handed and unarmed, she located, identified, disarmed and detained the Royal Marine veteran killer suspected of five grisly murders.
With Thames Valley Police Armed Response officers as backup, the 23 year-old Detective Constable, following up a lead from a routine burglary report, managed to trace and positively identify Robert Telford, the man police on two continents have been after for several months. She located him in a café near to the scene of the fourth killing of Warren McCarthy, where she confronted him and persuaded him to surrender the suspected murder weapon and give himself up.
Nicole, born in Canada, has dual British /Canadian nationality, and with over three years in the police had been working on the case since just after the fourth killing. She settled here after her parents were killed in a car crash, and has made a positive impact with the local police.

Her immediate boss, Detective Inspector Bruce Appleby, said of Nicole, “Detective Constable Le Fevre was the arresting officer, and it is through her courage and intelligence that the arrest was made without incident. She has already received a commendation for her work in this case, and she is one of many excellent officers that I am proud to work with.”
Telford (42) was remanded in custody for two weeks by Reading Magistrates yesterday, appearing briefly in the dock, he merely stated his name. He looked dishevelled and tired, with several days growth of beard and wearing prison clothes.
The murders are thought to relate to revenge attacks on five men Telford is thought to hold responsible for some form of sexual liaison with his son Lenny (18).Lenny now calls himself Lindi, is a transsexual, and is undergoing treatment to become a woman.
Pretty Nicole is now back at work in the CID office in Reading, and is understood to have just become engaged to be married…

More on Page 5.


 
 
Nicole was unaware of the paper until she arrived at work on her bike. There were photographers outside the station, so as she arrived, there was much interest in the blonde girl on the big Kawasaki.

The other papers had similar stories inside, but the Sun chose to run the story on the front page. She tried to just knuckle down and get on with the file preparation, but she kept being interrupted and congratulated. She waited for the shit to hit the fan about her past, but it didn’t. She managed to battle through the day, and slunk home at five, some reporters tried to follow her, but she lost them easily. Jamie, who had never read the Sun in his life, wondered what all the fuss was about.

Friday was similar, and the Chief Superintendent suggested she pose for the cameras, and let them get on with their work. So, with the press officer and Bruce present, she posed on her bike, wearing her leathers, and looking even better than on the previous occasion. No further information relating to the case was discussed, except that Nicole was wearing the leathers when she affected the arrest.

The press left, and Nicole felt a little better, but she was so afraid that the shit was yet to come. She cleared her desk, as she was now on leave until after her CID course in three weeks time. She just hoped that she would have a job to come back to. Bruce found her putting her helmet on by her bike.

“I just wanted to say thanks, and have a good leave,” he said.

She took her helmet off again and smiled.

“Thanks, I intend to. I haven’t actually had a proper period of time off since last year.”

“And good luck on your course, I look forward to having you back as a proper detective.”

“Thanks, so do I.”

“Nikki, seriously, don’t worry about the press. Whatever happens, you’ll get through it, and the job will be here for you,” he said, completely understanding her concerns.

She smiled, feeling rather emotional.

“Thanks, you don’t know how much that means to me.”

“Oh yes I do. I know you better than you think. Look Nikki, I hope you can consider me a friend, because I feel sort of responsible for your predicament. I’ll do all I can to prevent the press getting hold of anything. I’ve already had words with the Met at a very high level, and steps have been taken to ensure that nothing is said to cause you or your fiancé or his family any harm. As it happens, no one has connected you with PC Winton yet. You deserve at least that.”

“Thanks Bruce, I really appreciate it. I have been worried.” she admitted.

“Yeah, I could tell. So are you all set?”

“Almost. I have one last clear up job to do.” she said.

“What’s that?”

“I still have some stuff in my locker at Kentish Town in the Met. And there are a few bits and bobs in my room at the section house.”

“Do you want me to phone through and get them sent to you?”

“I don’t think so, I think I need to face these demons myself. As I recall, the Met were told that Nick Winton took a hush-hush job with the another force and then went back to Canada?”

“That’s right. The less said the better.”

“Then I should be alright to do this. I need to know that even those people I used to work with do not recognise me as Nicholas.”

“Go on, good luck and I will see you in six weeks.”

“Bye.”

He watched her as she started her bike and rode out of the yard, giving him a wave as she went. If only he was fifteen years younger, he thought to himself.

Nikki was not naíve enough to believe that the press would let her off that lightly, particularly when the news was released that she was marrying into the aristocracy. She was pleased that some doors were closed, so unless she chose to release information, not a lot should get out. She had in mind a controlled release, as if it was no big deal.

She had to go back to London, if for no other reason than to prove to herself that Nick was dead and gone. It still plagued her mind, so even Jamie noticed she was withdrawn and unusually quiet as they had lunch together.

“What’s the matter, sweetie?” he asked.

“I need to go to London and collect some stuff.”

“Do you want me to come with you?”

“Would you?”

“Of course.”

“It won’t take too long, and we can go straight on to your parents afterwards.”

After lunch, Nicole phoned the Section House, and informed them that she was a relative of PC Nick Winton, and as a TVP officer, she was collecting his stuff from his room. Someone from New Scotland Yard had already prepared the ground, so she was expected. They then set off in the Range Rover and the first stop was the Section House. She was dressed in a pale blue dress with a navy jacket. She had stockings on, and navy shoes with three inch heels.

It was a large modern building containing a hundred single rooms, all for single officers. She asked Jamie to wait in the car. She walked in and approached the warden on duty. It was Reg Leary.

Reg had been a warden at this section house for eight years, and had known the young Canadian, Nick Winton. He had suddenly disappeared, as he had allegedly taken some undercover job, but never come back. They held the room open for him, but it was understood that he was working for the intelligence services and may even have gone back to Canada. Rumours were rife, yet none was accurate.

He looked up as someone approached . He saw a very attractive young woman, who produced a Thames Valley Police warrant card.

“Hi. I am DC Le Fevre. I’ve been sent to empty Nick Winton’s room,” she said. She had a similar accent to Nick, but it was less pronounced.

“Oh yes, you called before, didn’t you?”

“That’s right,” she said, smiling. She really was a very pretty girl.

“You sound Canadian too, are you related to Nick?”

“Yeah, were cousins,” she said.

“Do you have his key?”

She produced the key, and waited for him to lead the way.

She had a strange feeling as she opened the door. She had not been here for so long now that it really felt like a different life.

There was not much to collect, and it took her a matter of a few minutes to put everything into a black bag.

Reg locked up again, retainingt the key.

“So, what is young Nick up to now?” Reg asked, as they walked back to the lift.

“He took a job with a regional Crime squad, and then went to work for one of the intelligence services. Last I heard he was seconded to the RCMP in Calgary,” she said.

They got in the lift, and another person jumped in as the doors started to close. It was Mark Edgeson. He was going off to the station for the late shift.

He stared at Nicole, frowning.

“This is Nick’s cousin from Canada. She is a DC in the Thames Valley,” Reg said, and Mark’s frown dispersed.

“Oh. I thought you looked vaguely familiar. I’m Mark, I used to work with Nick. We haven’t seen him for ages. How is he?”

“I guess he is fine. I haven’t seen him for a few months either. He is back in Calgary in Canada.”

“Did the CID job blow out?”

“Not really, he got another job straight after, and is now settled down back home.”

The lift arrived at the ground floor, and they all walked to the front door. Nicole thanked Reg, and said good bye.

“Do you want a lift to Kentish Town Police Station?” she asked Mark.

“If you passing. I was going to catch the bus,” he said.

They went out to the Range Rover, and Nicole got in the front. Mark got in the back, admiring the fine car.

“How was that?” Jamie asked.

“Okay, he didn’t have much there. This is, I’m sorry, was it Mark?” she said.

“Yeah, Mark Edgeson. I was a mate of Nick’s.”

“I’m Nicole and this is my fiancé, Jamie,” she said.

“Shit. You’re the DC who nicked that Marine in Reading!” Mark said, suddenly clicking who she was.

“That’s right.”

“I read about that. Bloody good job,” he said.

“Thanks.”

He plied her with several questions, and then she told him why she was going to the police station. As they arrived, Mark directed Jamie to the yard and, once again, he waited in the car as Mark showed Nicole where the locker room was.

In fact, it was her old shift coming on duty, but not one of them recognised her. The fact she was a good 5’10” in her heels, and so obviously female meant she was reasonably safe. Mark emptied the locker, taking the key and all the uniform items to the store’s liaison officer for her. They were all very friendly, and she positively bounced out of the station back to the waiting Range Rover.

“Home Jamie,” she said with a relieved grin. She’d just buried Nick, well and truly in the past.

They drove down to Bramford for dinner on Friday evening, where Nicole was greeted like one of the family. She felt safe in the huge house, with acres of estate between her and the rest of the world. During dinner, she shared some of her worries about her past with the family.

“I agree with you Nikki,” said Lady Marjorie. “I think you should release the whole truth as if it was just unimportant, and as the family knows all about it, there is little mileage apart from the immediate surprise it will cause. It’s not as if you were married or the father of any children. You simply had a condition, which has now been corrected and you’re perfectly normal.”

Her husband agreed.

“Look, we’ve invited some reporters from the gossip press to come and take some pictures of you both tomorrow morning at ten. Hello magazine has offered a considerable sum to interview you, particularly when they realised that you were the detective who arrested the Marine on Tuesday. Why don’t you just play it by ear, and just take the bull by the horns? We’ll be present, and will support you through whatever happens,” Rupert suggested.

Nikki felt completely overwhelmed by their support and tried to relax. However, she did not sleep well, so the following morning was feeling extremely tense as ten o’clock approached. As it happened, four photographers arrived and hung about waiting for the reporters, who were nearly half an hour late.

The announcement was in the Times and Telegraph that morning, so the phone was constantly ringing with friends and relatives anxious to pass on their congratulations and, if the truth be told, to express their surprise and to satisfy their curiosity.

The couple had decided to give an impression of casual informality, with Jamie in an open neck shirt and casual trousers, and Nikki in a skirt and a pretty top. The pictures were posed at various locations in and around the house, and Nikki thought they used about ten rolls of film each. Nikki felt awful, but everyone told her she was looking fine, so she managed to smile so much that her face ached. Several photographs were taken of the couple with Jamie’s parents, and the dogs and horses too.

The reporters fired the usual innocuous questions at them, like where and how they met and for when and where the wedding was planned. There was much interest in her being the police officer responsible for the arrest of Telford, and many questions were fired at her in that respect. Jamie felt completely overshadowed, but was delighted because he never liked being at the forefront, in any case. Besides, Nicole was looking so wonderful, he could completely understand why they were more interested in her.

All left, bar one, the lady from Hello magazine. They sat in the drawing room with her and she had a list of questions to ask. At one point, whist discussing her youth in Canada, an opportunity arose for Nikki to slip in her peculiar medical history.

The reporter, Helen Laing, asked her whether she felt that her upbringing in Canada had prepared her for the challenges ahead.

“Not really, I had a great childhood, but it was marred by a medical problem, which prepared me for facing difficulties, and it has made me a determined and tough person. I was a good student, and enjoyed sports, but the whole nature of the British aristocratic scene is very alien to me. I’m a very down to earth kind of person, but I think that in a way that’s better for the family,” she said.

“Why is that?” Helen asked.

Nikki held Jamie’s hand, and she smiled at him.

“I can keep my feet on the ground, whereas Jamie can sometimes be on a different planet.”

Helen laughed, and then asked the question Nikki had been waiting for.

“You mentioned a medical condition, what was that?”

“I had a hormonal imbalance, for some reason I didn’t develop properly, and my appearance was somewhat masculine, until that was corrected I looked rather different. Indeed, for much of my formative life people treated me as a boy. But it was identified, and as you can see, I’m perfectly okay now,” Nikki said, smiling. Helen looked closely at the Nicole, and could only see a stunningly attractive young woman, whose femininity was anything but an issue.

“Will this affect your ability to have children?”

“Not in the least, We’re hoping that we’ll have several children, as I have a completely clean bill of health in that department,” she said laughing.

“Will you continue your police career when you become Lady Nicole Calder?”

Nikki paused, looking at Jamie.

“To be perfectly honest, I’m not sure. I’d like to, but recognise that there are certain responsibilities that come with our forthcoming marriage. We’ve to cross that bridge when we get to it. But I’m prepared to give it up if it is important.”

Jamie looked sombre, adding, “I’ve made it clear that I have no such expectations, and will support her career for as long as she wants. But she has such a sense of duty that makes me feel humble.”

“Jamie, how has your family reacted to your engagement? After all, as far as certain members of the establishment are concerned, Nicole could be seen as too different and, shall we say, too much an outsider.”

A voice from the doorway answered the question.

“Nikki is just wonderful,= and we love her dearly. As far as the family are concerned, and that is the important thing, Jamie could never have found a more perfect girl,” Lady Marjorie said, as she came over to them.

“Lady Marjorie, I didn’t mean to suggest…” Helen tried to say, but Marjorie interrupted her.

“I know, and I am not suggesting you did, but you must understand that many of the old traditional families have become weak and lost their wealth, power and influence by failing to bend with the times, and by holding onto outdated and silly attitudes and traditions. If anything, the Calders have a tradition of marrying girls whose character is more important than their breeding.

“We recognise in Nikki such a strength of character, charm and grace that crosses all social divides, she is perfect for Jamie, perfect for Bramford, and she has already brought us many blessings in the short time we have known her,” she said, smiling at Nikki, who was close to tears.

Helen wisely decided to terminate the interview, thanking everyone very much, and left. Nikki gave her future mother-in-law a hug.

“You didn’t have to do that,” she said.

“I know, but I wanted to.”

“Thank you.”

“I meant it, all of it. Now go for a short walk, the pair of you. It’s been quite a stressful time for you.”

They went for a walk in the garden, and sat on a bench overlooking the ornamental pond.

“I’m so glad that’s over. How do you think it went?” she asked.

“I thought it went well, you handled the medical bit brilliantly.”

“I hope so. Oh, Jamie, I’m so afraid it is going to come back and haunt us.”

“You have been a hundred percent honest and open, so it should be much easier to manage if anything else surfaces.”

Lady Marjorie came and found them.

“Nikki, there’s a lady called Rachel on the phone for you. Why don’t you take it in the study?” she said.

Nikki grinned and ran to the phone.

“Rachel, how did you get this number?”

“Nikki. You have no idea how difficult you are to get hold of. I read the announcement in the paper this morning and nearly died. You actually went and did it?”

Nicole laughed. “It seems that I must have done, if it’s in the paper.”

“My God. How do you feel?”

“Due to it being that time of the month, pretty shitty. But apart from that, I’m very happy, thanks.”

“I can’t believe it. You’re really going to be Lady Nicole Calder, and be married to a Lord.”

“He’ll only be a Marquess,” Nicole said dismissively.

“They still call him Lord, so you’ll be a Lady.”

“Yeah, I guess so,” she said casually, smiling at the phone.

“And I saw the piece in the paper about the arrest and everything, you must be thrilled?”

“I would have been happier had the Americans got him before he killed the last man. But, I guess I’m feeling pretty good.”

“So you should. When’s the wedding?”

“I’m not sure, next June I think. We haven’t set a date yet.”

“I still can’t get my head round this. This is the young man whom you picked up in the market in Newbury?”

“I think he picked me up, actually. But yes, he’s the same guy.”

“I thought you said you were going to distance yourself from him?”

“I was going to, but things changed.”

“Yes, they certainly did. How are you?”

“Oh Rachel, I’m so happy. You wouldn’t believe.”

“I’m pleased for you. You deserve it.”

“I don’t know about that as there are so many people who deserve it more. All the girls at the club, they’ve such a hard time ahead, and for what kind of life?”

“Well, as I said, come and work with me, just help me help people like those girls.”

“I think I might, but after I get married. I’m not leaving my job for a while.”

“I can understand that, but I feel you could offer so much to these girls, even in a voluntary capacity.”

“Maybe Rachel, but I need a little space to think. Everything has happened so fast, I need to take a deep breath and look carefully at all my options. So, I’ll call you when I get back from my leave.”

“Are you going away?”

“Maybe, probably, oh, I don’t know, we haven’t even had time to talk about that yet.”

“Well, have a lovely time, and we must get together when you get back.”

“That would be great, I’ll call you.”

“Good, many congratulations, I hope you both stay as happy as you are now.”

“Thanks, Rachel, thanks for everything.”

“It was a pleasure. Bye now.”

“Bye.”

She put the phone down and saw that Marjorie was watching her.

“She is a good friend who helped me through a lot of my rough times,” Nikki explained.

“Has everything been that hectic?”

“Yes, what with the work, the engagement and just my whole life really, I really haven’t had any time just to stop and get my thoughts together.”

“Do you feel pushed into the engagement?”

“Not really, because in that I had a free choice, and I chose to accept. I could easily have put him off as I had been doing for weeks and weeks. No, it’s everything else, my life is whizzing along, and I feel I’m missing it.”

“Have you really not discussed where to go on your leave?”

“No, we just haven’t had a moment. In fact, we rarely seem to get any moments together without something either happening, or about to happen. We seem to always be rushing from one thing to the next.”

Marjorie smiled.

“It sounds like excellent preparation for marriage. Particularly if you manage to have all those children you both seem to keep talking about,” she said, smiling.

“Perhaps, but it could be the time of the month, but I just feel so damn tired. I’d like to go away and sleep for a week.”

“Well don’t take my son, if that’s what you want to do. He’s always been a bloody fidget, and can’t stay still for a moment.”

Nikki grinned.

“If the truth be told, so am I. I might manage half a day on a beach, but I’d soon get bored and want to do something active very quickly.”

“Then you are very alike. I remember one holiday we went on; we took this villa in Tuscany. It was super, lovely views, totally unspoiled, miles from the bloody trogs, and everything I wanted to just get away from life and relax. Jamie and his bloody father had us hiring bicycles, pedalling all over the bloody place. Then we had to try sailing on a nearby lake, and canoeing, and archery. I spent about twenty minutes doing nothing, and the rest of the time rushing around after those two fools.”

Nikki laughed.

“Why don’t you do something that you should have done as children, and never managed to?”

“How do you mean?” Nikki asked.

Marjorie took Nikki’s hand, and sat her down on the sofa with her.

“You missed out on being a little girl, you childhood was spoiled because of your medical problems and the death of your parents. Go somewhere to just enjoy being the little girl you always wanted to be, and take Jamie, because he has never managed to grow up, and you can be the brother and sister that neither of you ever had.”

Nikki thought about it, and it made perfect sense.

“Like what?”

“How about Florida? There are all the Disney attractions, and a lot more besides. The schools are back, so the queues should be less, and the weather less harsh than in the height of the summer. Go now before you have little children, so you can enjoy the attractions that they would not enjoy for ten or fifteen years. Enjoy the whole tacky and silly place, and let your hair down with impunity. You will also be in close proximity with Jamie every minute of every day, and that will be a learning curve for both of you.”

Nikki smiled again.

“It actually sounds a really nice idea. My parents never wanted to go there because it was American, and not the sort of place that intelligent people go.”

“What balls. It’s a super place, we went with Jamie when he was about ten, and we all loved it. Yes, it is very tacky and very American. But it is slick, fun and very clean.”

“Okay, you’ve sold it to me,” Nikki said, “I’ll tell Jamie where we’re going.”

Marjorie laughed. “I’m so pleased you know that’s the best way to deal with him, it saves so much bother.”

“So I have come to appreciate,” Nikki said, with a smile.
 

*          *          *

 
The Virgin Atlantic Airbus landed at Orlando just before noon, and Nicole realised that this was the first time she had been back in North America in four years.

Travelling with Jamie was rather like travelling with a six-foot teddy bear with ants in his pants. He settled for about ten minutes in total during the flight. Nicole was content to simply relax and allow the entertainment system take her away from the fact she was hurtling along at 300mph at an altitude that would not support life.

Meanwhile, Jamie tried to watch all the channels at once, and as a result missed everything. He couldn’t seem to get comfortable, despite the larger seats in business class. Most annoyingly, he wanted to pester Nicole as much as he could.

Eventually, he subsided after she threatened to ensure that he and his testicles took separate holidays. Nicole was delighted to not have to do anything, and was happy just going with the flow. Jamie soon realised that he was going to have to learn the art of compromise very quickly, as Nicole was not one for letting him get his own way easily.

They had been lent a house in Kissimmee, and Jamie had arranged to hire a Grand Cherokee Jeep from Alamo car rentals. She had questioned why he wanted something so large, when it was just the two of them.

“I’ve sort of got used to the Range Rover, and anything smaller is a bit down market,” he said, and she had just laughed. She was feeling more relaxed already, and Jamie was so proud of her it almost hurt. She looked so stunning in a simple summer sleeveless dress and her wide brimmed hat. Her hair was almost at a length that she felt happy with, and her long tanned limbs were grateful for the Florida sunshine, on display in all their glory.

Jamie thought she looked better than a movie star, so just adored having her on his arm. Nicole was equally proud of Jamie, who approached life with an air of innocent superiority, tempered with a natural charm and a disarming smile. He had changed profoundly since she had first met him, and he would state that it was all because of her. Gone was the tongue-tied buffoon, and he was now a confident self-assured young man, who knew his place in the world. Albeit, his world was not always the planet earth.

As they came through from Customs, the flash of many camera flash bulbs brought them back to earth with a rude thump.

Nicole suddenly found herself a media personality. Somehow their presence had been noted at Heathrow by a free-lance reporter, and he had tipped off the press in Orlando.

“The sexy detective who arrested the murdering Marine is flying into Orlando with her fiancé. She is even more stunning in the flesh. And he is a real life English Lord,” he had said.

The American press were as vulture-like as the British version, and they bombarded her with questions. Fortunately, two Orlando Airport police officers came to the couple’s assistance, Nicole flashed her TVP badge, and the officers took them out of the public domain. Nicole explained their predicament, so they were taken in a patrol car to the Alamo depot, and were able to out fox the press. Nicole kissed both officers, promising to send them some UK police badges when she got home.

Their car was ready, fuelled up, with blacked out windows.

She was actually quite pleased with his choice of car after all, as she stretched out in air-conditioned anonymous splendour as they drove from the airport to Kissimmee.

She was amazed at the plastic tackiness of the Orlando area, but as they drove through the gates of the private estate in Kissimmee, she began to realise that the Calder family had many wealthy friends. The house they had been lent was a large one, with all mod cons. The swimming pool had a Jacuzzi next to it, and it was all very luxurious.

It was about six in the evening, and Nicole stripped off, slipped her swimsuit on and dived into the pool. Jamie found a take away menu, and the local Chinese Restaurant delivered his telephoned order half an hour later.

They sat by the side of the pool and enjoyed their meal, loving the Florida warmth. Jamie had never seen Nicole look more relaxed, or lovelier, for that matter.

It dawned on him that her life had been so manic over the last few months that she had never been able to stop for a second. This was in every aspect of her life, and he felt guilty that he had put undue pressure on her without being aware of what she was going through.

“Hey, why the long face, Honey?” she asked.

“I was just thinking.”

“Ooh, dangerous, you leave that sort of thing to me.”

He smiled. “No, seriously, it has just dawned on me how much stress you’ve been under, and I was a complete arse to give you more.”

She reached out and took his hand.

“No, you weren’t. Everything was so up in the air, you turned out to be one rock in a sea of confusion. You became my happy thought, and you kept me smiling. When everything else was so temporary or even pretend, you were real, you were bloody stupid, but you were real.”

“What do you mean - bloody stupid?” he asked, mildly offended.

“I wasn’t even a real girl. You went and fell for someone who wasn’t real.”

“You have always been a real girl, it was just that no one told you,” he retorted.

She smiled. “I know that now, but I didn’t then,” she said.

He looked at her. There was no way anyone could possibly accept that she could ever have been taken for a male. Her figure was so curvaceous and feminine, that even with  £100,000 worth of plastic surgery, it would have been almost impossible to replicate. Her facial features were too delicate to ever have belonged to a boy, and her eyes, her blue eyes sent shock waves straight through his heart every time she looked at him. She was 100% home grown, and seemed so natural that even he, knowing the truth, had the greatest difficulty in actually believing it.

“Don’t tell me you are thinking again, you have to be very careful, you know?” she teased.

“I love you so much,” he said.

“I love you too, you silly sausage,” she said, kissing him.
 

*          *          *

 
The days sped by at twice the speed of normal days. The young couple visited all the theme parks, the studios and other attractions, spending from eight am to gone midnight every day having the time of their lives. At night, they were lovers, but by day they were exactly as Marjorie had said, they became the brother and sister that neither of them had ever had. They had their arguments and their tiffs, but they experienced the joys of making up, while each learned to compromise. They grew closer together than either of them had anticipated.

By the third week, Nicole was ready to take things easy, and persuaded Jamie to drive over to St Pete’s beach on the Gulf of Mexico. She lay on the beach with a pitiful excuse for a bikini, allowing her tan to become deep and golden. Jamie sat for about fifteen seconds, and went off and tried para-scending.

Jamie kept having to pinch himself, as she was just the most beautiful girl in Florida. He found her wonderful company, and she was actually relaxed for the first time. Their lovemaking was passionate and energetic, yet it was deep and loving. Jamie was a complete novice, but an enthusiastic novice. He found her patient and responsive, and they were only too willing to try all kinds of positions and techniques to increase their pleasure. He stoutly refused to think about or talk to her about her life before, which suited her too.

They both found that making love in the pool was the best thing ever. On the second last day, that was nearly all they did, all day. Later, as they sat in a small restaurant eating their dinner, he felt her hand snake inside his trousers and grasp his manhood. She casually used her fork in her right hand, while fondling him with her left. She brought him almost to climax, but then the waitress came and interrupted them, so she stopped.

By the time they left the restaurant, they just managed to get to the car, and once the door closed, she showed him that she already had removed her knickers. They leaped into the back, and for the first time, made love in a car in the parking lot. Darkened windows have their advantages!

They went to the Epcot Centre on the last full day, and as they left the house in the morning, she let her dress slip up to show him that she was not wearing knickers again.

They managed to make love four times in semi-public, at different places in the attraction. She drove him wild, and would tease him unmercifully until she drove him too far. At one point, he sat on a park bench and she sat on his lap, undid his zip, and freed his erection, assisting him to enter her as people walked past within fifteen feet of them. At night, they were by a fence, watching the fireworks, kissing. She felt him rise to the occasion, so she turned round, so he took her from behind as she held onto the fence for support. The fireworks made a superb backdrop for their joint orgasm.

Somehow, being in public heightened the erotic nature of the event, and she came quicker and more often. She revelled in her femininity and her new sexuality. Jamie was totally besotted by her and was blissfully happy. His sexual experience had been woefully minimal previously, so together they explored the boundaries of their sexual relationship with glee.

The end of the holiday arrived, so they packed and locked up the house. They were both quiet and subdued on the way to the airport, and Jamie knew that the holiday marked the end of the beginning, as far as their relationship was concerned. He loved her more than life itself, and it almost made him cry as he thought about it. He just felt blessed by her very presence, and the fact she loved him back, made him feel very humble.

She, on the other hand, adored her big teddy bear of a man, who was so helpless one moment and yet so capable the next. He was so protective and loving, she felt so safe with him, and longed to have his children above everything else. She knew that she would not stay in the police for long after they were married.

They boarded the plane home with sadness, as it had been a wonderful experience for them both. Nicole had been allowed to be a young girl for the first time, and Jamie had been only too happy to help her. She had also explored and developed her womanhood, to a level that she felt content. She now knew who she was, and was so pleased to be herself for the first time in her life. She no longer yearned for the girlhood she had never had, but looked forward to the life that stretched ahead.

As she looked out of the window, at a diminishing Florida, she smiled,

“Penny for them?” Jamie asked.

She looked at him, taking his hand.

“Tomorrow is a whole new beginning,” she said.

“I was thinking the same. Any regrets?”

“None. Well maybe one,” she said.

He frowned.

“What?”

“We could have made love one last time in the pool before we left,” she said, and kissed him.


 
The End(Of The Beginning!)


 
 
UK POLICE RANKS

The United Kingdom is divided into three Police Regions:

  • England & Wales (including the Channel Islands)
  • Scotland
  • Northern Ireland)

There are about 50 police forces in the whole country, and the ranks the same across the whole of the three regions. The only difference is at the top levels, as depicted below.

All other Forces Metropolitan Police (London)
& City of London Police
US Equivalent (More or less.)
- Commissioner1  » «
- Deputy Commissioner1  » «
Chief Constable Assistant Commissioner1 Ranks vary according to
Deputy Chief Constable Deputy Assistant Commissioner State & type of dept.
Assistant Chief Constable Commander (MET)  » «
Chief Superintendent Chief Superintendent  » «
Superintendent Superintendent  » «
Chief Inspector Chief Inspector Captain
Inspector Inspector Lieutenant
Sergeant Sergeant Sergeant
Constable Constable Patrol Officer

Of the two forces mentioned in this work, the Metropolitan Police and Thames Valley Police, there are now 35,000 officers in the London Metropolitan Police, and 4,000 in the Thames Valley Police.

The Metropolitan Police operates within the Greater London Area, with the exception of the one square mile that is the City of London, which has its own small but fiercely independent force.

The Thames Valley Police covers the area to the west of London, covering the counties of Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire. This police area has more miles of Motorway than any other force in the UK, covering the towns and cities of Oxford, Reading, Slough, Maidenhead, Windsor, Newbury, Aylesbury, Amersham, High Wycombe, Milton Keynes, Banbury, Bicester, Abingdon, Didcot, and many more.


[1] For UK Police ranks, see appendix A

up
105 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

guilty

kristina l s's picture

See I haven't read this version so I don't know what's changed if anything. A few minor tweaks I expect, but... Sorry, life and time an' stuff messing me about... I read this a few years back and yeah it may be a little 'Cinderella' but I still loved it. Might have been my space at the time but I suspect there's more to it than that. A pinch of ideation mebe, some wish upon a star it should be like that, not to mention some quiet admiration for the skill of the telling.

Eighteen months or so ago someone posed the question of Top Ten faves, this one made my list. Never commented before on the story itself, so... Thanks Tanya.

Kristina

A true fairy tale

I don't know what to say anymore. It's a long, feel-warm feel-good story, with hardships aplenty and happy endings. Wonderful.


-Christelle

"Fun-loving geek-chick looking for someone who doesn't give a damn about her past"


-Christelle

"Fun-loving geek-chick who's addicted to sunlight!"

The Candy Cane Club, Book Two

I just completed reading The Candy Cane Club. As with Monique, this was a very delightful story. Tanya Allan's style brings the reader into the story; as if the story is unfolding around the reader.

I would like to see this story continue as well. After all, Nicole has got to take care of poor Jamie, along with manageing the new proposed facilities at the 'Estate'. Of course she will also be helping her 'other' sisters and the police at the same time.

I am looking forward to reading more of tanya's exceptional stories.

Ronnie

Candy Cane Club

Is a story with gritty realism. I can see this story happening in real life. What love drives us to do can cause you to despair in time.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Great story Tanya

Great story Tanya, I really enjoy all your stories this is one I missed when you first posted it but I am glad I came across it.

Keep up the great story telling I look forward to reading more from you.

Megumi :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p