The Chosen~3

Printer-friendly version
They stared at me and I stared at them. We said nothing–just stared...
Angel

The Chosen
By

Susan Brown

  


  

Chapter 3

  

Previously...

‘I would like to be known as Rebecca from now on, Helena.’

‘That’s a nice name, Rebecca. Shall I alter the records and inform everyone who needs to know?’

‘Yes please.’

‘It is done. Your friends Tom and David wish to visit you. Do you wish to see them?’

I thought for a moment, a shiver of fear coursing through my body. Would they laugh at the way I looked or, worse still, would I laugh at them? Then I remembered the promise I made to myself–to try to be proud to be a girl.

‘Yes please.’ I replied, sitting up.

I stood and checked how I looked in the long mirror by the closet. Staring at my face I whispered ‘Rebecca,’ to myself and smiled shyly. The door chimed and I watched the colour drain from my cheeks.

‘It’s your friends, Rebecca.’

‘Open.’

I smoothed my skirt down and faced the door while it slid open quietly.

I stared at them and they stared at me––

And now the story continues...

They stared at me and I stared at them. We said nothing–just stared. They were both dressed as I was, but because they–unlike me–had very short hair, they both wore what I assumed to be wigs, although they didn’t look like wigs. Their hair colour was the same as before, but now it cascaded to their shoulders.

‘Come in and sit down,’ I said, motioning with my hand and we settled in lounge chairs.

‘Want something to drink?’ I asked.

‘Zinga, please,’ replied David and Tom nodded that he wanted the same.

‘Three Zinga’s please, Helena.’

‘Coming up, Rebecca.’

A few seconds later the serving hatch opened and I passed around the drinks.

‘Privacy please, Helena.’

‘I’m sorry, but you are not three petals yet, so you can only have privacy when you are talking to relatives.’

‘Oh, ’I said, disappointed.

‘Do not worry, Rebecca, I am programmed only to pass on information that relates to your safety or the safety of others.’

‘Okay,’ I said.

‘Well,’ I said rather awkwardly, ‘you both look–nice.’

‘I like it,’ Tom said enthusiastically, smoothing down his skirt, ‘I’ve decided to call myself Bethany; your name is nice, Rebecca.’

‘It was my mum and dad’s choice if I’d been born a girl.’

I looked across to David who, as yet had not said much.

‘David, have you chosen a girl’s name?’

‘No,’ he snapped back.

Looking at him, I could see that he was upset and really felt for him.

‘You don’t accept all this, do you, David?’

He looked at me. It seemed strange calling him David, dressed like that.

‘No, I—I hate it. I told them I wasn’t suitable and I don’t know how I got through the selection process, but they said I was rated seventy two percent and that was within the acceptable criteria. I am a boy and I want to stay one. They might pump me full of drugs and I have had the operation like you, but I’m still a boy–I am,’ he finished, whispering.

I went and hugged him; we were all tearful by then. I didn’t know what to say; I hadn’t wanted this to happen to me, but I knew that I had no choice. I could kick and scream about it until Armageddon, but it wouldn’t make one iota of difference. That didn’t mean that I didn’t think that it was unfair to arbitrarily take children away, change their bodies into something different. It was just the way it was. Looking at David, I could see that he needed help, badly.

‘Have you told your Helper about how you feel?’ I asked.

He stood up and started pacing the room.

‘She’s no help, she’s been programmed by the system, she’s all girl and proud of it. She toes the line and keeps telling me that I should be proud to be one of The Chosen, whatever that means.’

He sat on the bed and put his head in his hands. I looked at Bethany, raising my eyebrows. She, and I call her she as she obviously liked being a girl, looked upset at the conflict that David was experiencing. We didn’t know what to do help him.

‘Helena, David is upset, what can he do?’

‘I sense her unhappiness. Not everyone accepts what has happened to them and they require extra help and support to see them through a difficult time. David?’

He looked up, tears streaming down his face. ‘What?’ he sniffed.

‘Would you like to go back to your room; someone will be there to see you in a few moments.’

‘Not my Helper?’

‘No, your personal counsellor; she will try to help you get over this.’

‘I don’t want help; I want to be a boy again!’

‘I know, David, but at least talk to her.’

After a moment, David got up and looked over to us.

‘You know, I wish could just let go and give in like you two obviously have. I hate being like this–it makes me feel such a–a sissy.’

He didn’t say anything else and just left, leaving Bethany and I staring at the closing door.

‘Have we just given in?’ I asked Bethany.

She looked at me, still upset about David. ‘No, I haven’t given in, as he calls it. I have always felt more girl than boy, so this is a dream come true to me. What about you?’

‘I don’t like it, I never have, but I knew that there was always going to be a big chance that I might have to become a girl. As I was growing up, I did wonder what it would be like to be female. Having diplomats for parents made me look at things dispassionately, weighing up the pros and cons and trying to make decisions based on the facts. I don’t think being a girl is so terrible; the thing is we didn’t have a choice and that was what has upset me. Mind you, I liked being a boy and given the choice, I would’ve stayed one. You would have thought that there would be enough boys in the world happy or at least with few objections to be changed into girls, but evidently there aren’t.’

‘So do you want to be called a he or she?’

I thought for a moment.

‘She; looking like this and knowing that I can’t be a boy again–I no longer have the right equipment to be a ‘he’. That doesn’t mean that I’m happy about it, but accept it. I am not going to bang my head against a wall over it–it’d give me a really, really bad headache!’

We both grinned at my feeble attempt at a joke.

‘Girls, please go to room 270, it is time for your Induction Class,’

‘How do we get there?’ I asked, getting up.

‘Follow the green line on the floor and it will take you to the meeting room.’

‘What about David?’ asked Bethany, ‘will she…I mean he be there?’

‘No, she is being helped in her room and will take Induction when she is ready; now please hurry.’

We left my room and immediately saw the illuminated green line on the corridor floor leading to the left with pulsing arrows. Glancing at each other, we just shrugged and followed the arrows. A few others, dressed the same as us, followed the arrows too and soon we entered what appeared to be a lecture theatre with seats rising towards the back. At the front was a podium upon which was a lectern with a lady standing behind it, illuminated by a high-tech lighting system. Behind her was a large screen with the school crest displayed upon it.

I suppose there were about twenty children in the room. Glancing at the expressions on the faces of the ones I passed, some looked happy, others sad, one or two scared and one girl looked like she had been crying. Bethany and I found a seat about half way back and to the side.

A few latecomers arrived after us and then the doors of the theatre closed silently and the lights dimmed apart from the one that illuminated the lectern and the lady.

She was keying in something while everyone was settling down. She was, I suppose, about forty with long brown hair and was impeccably dressed in a cream coloured business suit comprising a , tailored jacket and skirt, white silk blouse, black stockings or tights and black heels. She appeared very poised and pretty.

After a moment, she looked up and smiled.

‘Welcome to your new home, girls. I hope you have all settled in all right. This is what we call the Induction. It isn’t too heavy, but it is just to give you an idea about what is happening and what is going to happen to you over the next few days and months. You do not have to make any notes as you will have a vid of this, together with a package of notes, brochures and other useful material when you return to your rooms.’

‘My name is Amanda Jones and I am the principal of the Girls’ School. We like to be as honest as possible with you, and where we can, we will answer any questions that you might have at what must be, for many of you, a very traumatic time. Some of the children are so traumatised, they are not deemed ready for Induction yet. Those girls–and yes we always call them girls because it helps–need extra support to get through this difficult period in their lives. Some of you are happy to become girls, perhaps because you are transgendered, or are not bothered what sex you are; others have accepted that they have to go with the flow. Whatever your circumstances, we will help you with your transition wherever we are able.’ She paused for a moment to have a drink of water and then continued.

‘All of you have been told why it is necessary to have this rather extreme set of procedures to ensure the continuation of our race. You would have had to have lived in a hole in the ground not to know about the riots, civil unrest and wars involving other countries over the issue of turning healthy young men and boys into females. Often it is because of religious beliefs or bigotry or even fear that makes people behave in such a manner. Thousands–if not millions–have died or are living in fear. Totalitarian regimes have sprung up everywhere in the power vacuums caused by the unrest and the fall of democratically elected governments. After the Indo-China war, China overran India and has amalgamated it into in the Chinese Empire comprising of most of the countries of the Far East including, of course, Japan. It is only because of our orbiting weapons’ satellites overhead that China has stopped her warmongering. We hope and pray that no more aggressive acts will occur from that quarter.’

I gazed around the dim theatre and saw that everyone was intent on her words. Of course we had all heard this before, but as we were now deeply involved in the process of being changed, somehow it seemed all the more personal and not just about other countries on a map. It all seemed very strange, sitting here as a girl with others who were in the same predicament, listening to this woman’s calm voice telling us that the world was in turmoil and all because of a gender crisis. Her words had brought home the fact that my parents were in India and that that country was one of the worst affected. I wondered, with an ache in my heart, when I would see them again.

‘Other countries have been able to deal with the crisis better. The United States of America joined with Canada in a new united country, following the world’s financial crisis ten years ago. Australia and New Zealand did the same to counter the threat from China to their north.

Some countries have stayed independent but in loose alliance like the European Union which has just welcomed Russia into its ranks. The Middle East is the other hot spot and there is very little news coming out of that vast area. What we do know is that there have been riots, civil unrest, murders, executions and enforced feminisation of babies and young boys. Regrettably, many countries have gone down a similar route and it is in those countries that we find the greatest unrest.

So we have the situation that some countries have come together either by force or mutual agreement; others are under repressive and totalitarian rule and I have not even touched on Africa or South America. These will be covered on another occasion.’

Once again she stopped to take a sip of water. She continued; ‘What has this got to do with you and your current situation? I am just highlighting that you are lucky to live in a country that has been able to weather the storm and is in the forefront of trying to find a solution to the problem of the total lack of girl births. We think that we are close to a solution and you are very lucky to be here at this exciting time. This is not an ordinary school. We are part of a quartet of schools that are different and special–one here in England, another in Scotland, a third in Wales and yet another in Eire. These schools were selected as the prime establishments for the research and implementation of Project Phoenix. You girls are The Chosen. The girls who will be part of the treatment that gives us hope for the future.’

She looked around, beaming at us, as if she had given us the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I wasn’t so sure, as I didn’t much fancy being part of an extended experiment, if that’s what it was. I would speak to mum and dad about this later.

‘So, let’s return to practicalities. Your lessons will begin tomorrow and you will be continuing the same courses you were taking when you were in the boys’ school, but slightly shorter in length. This will enable you to have additional lessons that concentrate on your femininity. A uPad will be supplied to you for portable ’puter use especially at lectures and a mini uPad for your personal communications use. Your ’puter has a unique password which will be supplied to you in your pack. On your ‘puters and uPads you will find your schedules and any changes about which you need to know.

Also, there will be details of any treatments that are deemed necessary for you to undertake. Every morning, lunch break and before bed, you will be given some medicine and pills to take. Please ensure that you do take them as they will be monitored and are for your own good. Now, the rest of day is free and you may dress informally. Take a look at your clothes and try some on. Makeup is allowed when not in school time and extracurricular lessons are available for any beauty treatments that you wish to try and learn about. If you have any worries and problems, talk to your ’puter, Helper or, if necessary, your Unit Head. We are all here to help you have a smooth transition and above all, to enjoy the experience.’

With that, she beamed at us and then left the podium and walked through a side door. The lights faded up and we all stood up to leave. There was a buzz of conversation around the room as we left the theatre. Bethany and I didn’t say much while others were around us, but waited until we arrived outside Bethany’s room.

‘Want to come in?’ she asked.

‘Okay,’ I said.

‘Open.’

The door slid open and we entered. The room was a carbon copy of mine and we were soon settled in the easy chairs drinking Zinga and talking quietly about what we had been told.

Bethany looked up.

‘Tina, any chance of privacy?’

‘Sorry, Bethany, you know the rules, but I won’t say a word as long as you aren’t too naughty!’

I smiled at that, it seemed that every ’puter had a different sort of personality. Her voice was slightly higher than Helena’s and seemed younger, more bubbly, somehow.

‘So, what d’you think?’ I asked.

‘About what?’

‘The Principal: I notice she doesn’t call herself Headmistress.’

‘Same thing.’

‘You think so? I don’t know; and what about this special treatment The Chosen have?

‘I don’t know. As long as it doesn’t like, hurt us and maybe gives us a chance to give birth to girls, I’m okay with it.’

I gazed at her and nearly said what was in my mind, but held back and said something else entirely; ‘So, you don’t mind the thought of actually giving birth to a baby?’

‘I think that would be like soooo neat. Me, a mum–how like, kewl is that?

I shook my head–Bethany was obviously all girl already. ‘I’m still getting used to the idea that I have no male equipment except for a useless penis,’ I told her, ‘I’ll have to take time to accept it all. I wonder how David’s doing? Tina, can we visit David?’

‘No, sweetheart, she is still being–’ there was a brief pause–‘looked after.’

I wondered what she meant by ‘looked after’ but said nothing–was it some sort of counselling? I finished my drink and then got to my feet. ‘See you at lunch?’ I said.

‘Yeah, that’ll be great. I want to try on something pretty, will you?’

‘I suppose.’ I said, smiling sadly. I wished that I had been able to accept all this as readily as Bethany obviously had, but until I had at least spoken to my parents, I held back.

‘Open.’ I said and left Bethany to her fantasies.

When I got back to my room I sat in the chair opposite the ’puter screen.

‘Helena, can you try and reach my parents, please?’

‘Certainly, Rebecca.’

There was a pause for a few moments Helena came back.

‘Sorry, Bethany, there is no reply, perhaps they are in meetings.’

‘Can you keep trying?’

‘Of course, and I’ll leave a message on their vid and ’puter too.’

‘Thank you.’

I approached the wardrobe, said, ‘Open.’ and the doors slid apart silently.

I took off my uniform and sent the clothes down the laundry chute, leaving myself in just my bra and panties.

Searching on the right-hand side, I did a bit of exploration, and soon had clothes strewn over the floor, chairs and bed. They were all my size–natch–and went from the plain to the downright exotic. There were clothes for all occasions between almost slob–but not quite–to ball gown although I didn’t think that I would wear one of those in the near future!

In the end I picked out a strappy cotton top and denim skirt, finishing off with sandals on my bare feet. After putting everything on and looking at myself in the mirror, I gazed at my reflection. I didn’t look much like boy, more androgynous I supposed, leaning towards the feminine side. The hair style sort of reinforced the look and I must say that I didn’t think that it would take much to make me fully passable as a girl.

Sighing, I tore my eyes from the mirror and began tidying up. The place looked as if a bomb had hit it. After making the room more respectable I turned to the ’puter.

‘Helena, any luck with reaching my parents yet?

‘No, Rebecca, I am having some trouble getting through. I am trying different methods, but it appears that there is a communications breakdown at the moment. These have been occurring more frequently of late. I will let you know as soon as things improve.’

‘Thanks, Helena,’ I said, not really worried because, as Helena said, these things happen a lot.

I went over to the table by the side of my ’puter terminal and began glancing through the things that had been delivered while I was at the Induction.

There were loads of things to read and I didn’t much fancy that, so I set them aside for a bedtime read. Then I picked up the uPad. I had seen them before, of course. It was similar to the one that I had had at the boys’ school. As I touched the screen, the school crest came up. With a password box in the middle. Remembering that I didn’t have the password yet, I asked Helena.

‘It has been set to rebecca, but you will have to change it.’

‘Thanks, Helena.’

‘rebecca.’ I said to the screen and it immediately opened up with another box that asked me to type in a new password. I thought for a moment and typed in dadamummy912 directly on the screen using the type-pad that had appeared at the bottom. I was asked to repeat it, which I did and the screen confirmed that the password had been accepted and went into welcome mode.

There was a menu of quick-start items such as calendar, diary, schedule and notes, together with other apps which were considered useful. I was asked about my preferences, like did I want voice commands and responses or on-screen typing? I chose typing because you never know who might be ear-wigging.

Most of the rest was exactly the same as the one I had over on the boys’ side. In fact all my files had been transferred to this one, so I had my pictures, vid’s and music as well as my email and other personal files.

There was also a mini-uPad that evidently I had to carry around in the brown shoulder bag provided for me. Realising that skirts and dresses don’t usually have pockets; I thought that I would have to use it to carry things like my brush and other personal items as well as the mini uPad.

‘Lunch is in fifteen minutes, Rebecca.’

‘Thanks, Helena.’ I closed the uPad down and went to freshen up. After using the toilet and brushing my hair I was ready.

‘Helena, any news about India?’

‘Not yet, honey.’

‘How do I get to the restaurant?’

‘Follow the orange line and arrows.’

‘Are Bethany and David ready yet?’

‘I’ll ask–’ There was a short pause–‘David will not be going down for lunch as she isn’t ready yet, but Bethany will meet you outside her room.’

‘Thanks, Helena. Open,’ I told the door and it slid open. After picking up my bag and slinging it over my shoulder, I quitted my room. The pulsing orange line and arrows were indicating that I should go to the right, which was good, ’cause it passed Bethany’s door a few metres down the corridor.

As I approached her door, it slid open and Bethany exited. I raised my eyebrows when I saw that she had gone down the ultra feminine route and was wearing a pale pink calf-length dress, white hose and shoes with a low heel. She had her hair up with pink ribbons and also a small amount of makeup; something I wasn’t happy about doing for myself.

‘Hello,’ she said, smiling with glossy pink lips.

‘Hi, you look, erm, nice.’

‘Thanks, you too, though you can dress up a bit, you know.’

‘I know, but I’m still rather uncomfortable with everything.’

‘Sorry, I forgot that this is all new to you. I have been dressing up since I was six and it’s so nice to be like this all the time.’

‘Why didn’t you just wear the clothes when you were younger? There aren’t hang-ups about it. Many boys who are transgendered do it.’

‘Well, my parents being ultra conservative and orthodox have never really liked the liberal times and only allowed me to wear girls’ things in the house. Then when I came to school, I had to promise them that I wouldn’t do anything that would bring shame on them. Ridiculous really, but I love them and wouldn’t go against their wishes. Now though, things have changed and they’re proud that I’ve been chosen.’

All this was said as we walked to the restaurant. Others were going the same way too. People were dressed in all sorts of things from the formal to the informal and I was a bit alarmed that if anything I was more out of place than Bethany. The girls at the school seemed to love their femininity and dressed accordingly. I wondered if I would ever be like them and feel comfortable with all the satin, lace and ribbons. Sighing I thought that I must speak with my parents just as soon as I could.

We sat at a six person table with four other girls, there were two three-petals, and two four-petals apart from us, so there was a mix of ages. Everyone introduced themselves while we waited for our selected meals to come up through the server in the centre of the table.

When the meals arrived, I noticed that there was a little cup for everyone each containing three pills, also a small glass containing green liquid. The others took their pills and medicine without much thought and Bethany eagerly followed their lead. I hesitated and put the drugs by the side of my plate. I picked up the knife and fork and then a disembodied voice spoke up.

‘Please take your medication before commencing your meal, Rebecca.’

With considerable reluctance, I did as I was told and then continued with my meal. I wondered what the drugs would do to me and how soon they would begin to take effect. I nearly asked the others but I just left it. I would speak to my parents about it.

As the meal progressed, I listened to the conversations going on around me; everyone seemed to be talking about clothes, fashions and the latest trends. Makeup was discussed at length and what they would do when they left school; the predominant thought being finding a nice man to settle down with and most importantly, have children - preferably girls.

I could see that Bethany was lapping it all up and I tried to join in, but my heart wasn’t in it. I did wonder if I would ever get to be like these girls, accepting what was happening and revelling in girlhood. I knew that I had to make the most of my situation and hoped I would be happy one day. I felt for David who, obviously, felt much worse than I about things.

After lunch, I returned to my room, saying that I needed to speak to my parents. Bethany stayed with the others and didn’t seem to even notice much that I was leaving. I was a bit hurt at that, but realised that she was just excited about all of her dreams coming true.

Back in my room I sat down and shut my eyes for a moment. I must have fallen asleep, as the illuminated clock on the ceiling showed it was 17:30 when I awoke with a start.

‘Rebecca.’

‘Yes, Helena.’

‘Did you sleep well?’

‘Yes, I suppose I was tired and didn’t realise it.’

‘You have a visitor, will you see her?’

‘Yes.’ I said, thinking that it was probably Bethany, all bubbly and girlie.

The door slid open and my eyes opened wide with surprise on discovering my visitor to be the principal, Amanda Jones.

‘Don’t get up, Rebecca,’ she said as she came over and sat beside me.

‘I understand you’ve been trying to reach your parents?’

‘Yes. Helena hasn’t had much luck yet.’

She looked at me with compassion in her eyes and I wondered–with more than a little dread–what was going on. She grasped my hands gently; ‘I have been informed by Central Government that the borders of India have been closed and that our embassy is under siege. All messages and communications are being blocked and the situation is extremely tense. There have been strong protests by our government, but as such, appear to have fallen on deaf ears. Other embassies have been similarly affected, especially the U.S of A & C where there have been reports of gunfire. I don’t know what will happen, Rebecca, but as soon as we receive any news, you will be told.’

I stared at her with horror. All my worst nightmares were happening and there was nothing I could do about it. Tears started rolling down my cheeks and, in seconds, I was being embraced by the warm, soft arms of the principal.


  

To be continued…

  

Please remember to leave comments..it's nice to know if people like/don't like my stories :-)

My thanks go to the brilliant and lovely Gabi for editing, help with the plot-lines and pulling the story into shape.

up
128 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

All alone now?

Sue,

Another wonderful story. Rebecca seems well adjusted and introspective. But now to find out that her parents may be dead when she is in the middle of a life trauma is a lot for a young girl.

As she is your heroine we know she will survive, but it looks like it will not be an easy road.

Thank you for sharing.

As always,

Dru

As always,

Dru

Poor girl... I hope she won't

Poor girl... I hope she won't end up like those other girls... I mean they seem slightly ambitionless. This really seems like subtle brainwashing.

thank you for writing.
Beyogi

Keep up the good work

I am enjoying your story and am looking forward to the next installment.

Project Phoenix

Rebecca is unfortunately being cut off of her parents. Who knows what will happen to them? It is very sad, since they and their acceptance were the rock to hold on to, and Rebecca needs all the help she can get.

I am worried about David - he was cut off from anyone trying to contact him, and was absent for quite some time. My inner paranoia tells me it doesn't bode well, but I will reserve my judgement until we see him again.

Lastly, Project Phoenix? This name is very attention-catching, and it can be attributed, among other things, to the story of the same title I've read. If anyone is interested, first part of it is posted on Topshelf (Author - Meg), while the second part and side story 'ten years later' are on FM. The story has a similar premise, but is more explicit.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Sue B more greatness comes from your muse

The English Teacher's picture

I would have thought given the value of a woman in this society that governments would have not allowed women to be in potentially dangerous environments.

I have a feeling also, that our David is getting, shall we say an unwanted attitude adjustment?

I wonder at which is better of the evils (being forced to become that which you are not) knowing that you will be brutally forced as in the totalitarian states or knowing that you are being subtly brainwashed that the more enlightened governments (or is it devious) obviously incorporate into their programs. I suppose they each can have their own nightmares.

If our heroin becomes one, or the only successful of the Chosen of Project Phoenix what kind of life has she to look forward too? Something akin to the queen bee, hmmm?

This is so Hitchcock like that it raises the cockles on the back of my neck.

I love these kinds of stories, they are lots of fun wondering what the next installment from our delightfully demented Sue B will be.

As always, so much to read, so little time and only one of me :)
The English Teacher

So much to read, so little time and only one of me :)

The English Teacher

The Chosen~3

I can't help but wonder why wait so late to find the Chosen? Why not use the psychee tests to find those who want to be a girl and those who can adjust? Forcing the change on the unwilling is not koshr.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I think it was written that the tests did ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... deal with adjustment, which is not the same as willingness. Of course adjustment could mean anything from being miserable but unresisting to happy and enthusiastic like Bethany. I suspect that to the Powers-That-Be, "unresisting" is the main thing, and that the velvet glove has come off with David and this story's equivalents of Ovid's Mr. Coupler/Cupid and Venus are "helping" him/her. It would be interesting to see Rebecca find out that things are not as nicy-nice as the principal maintained. I wouldn't be surprised to fine Fleurie's Grace behind this. I'm hoping there is some kind of anti-draft underground, and I'm rooting for David - Give 'em Hell, kid!

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

I believe David is being

I believe David is being "forced" to comply with being a girl and that is so very dishonest to him and girls in general. He should have been allowed to remain a boy, even if he did rate at 72 percent. Nothing is so important that it requires forced feminitity. Interesting story otherwise. I find the joining of the U.S. and Canada into one country intriguing, as it was discussed back in the 1950's. There were even maps drawn shoing how the country would look. It was also discussed in the late 70's/early 80's when Quebec was pushing hard regarding separation from the Canadian Confederation. Jan

Quotas

In order to maintain the human population, a certain percentage of boys MUST transition to girls.

Evidently the first choice would be the transgendered, followed by the accepting and ambivalent.

However, it's quite probable that unless they have multiple sequential pregnancies, then their numbers alone won't be sufficient to maintain the human population.

Therefore a fourth category comes into play - those who will probably kick up a fuss when chosen, but psychological analysis suggests will eventually accept without succombing to long-term depression. Of course, since these are the borderline cases, the tests are very subjective and many in this category may take a long time to be persuaded to accept their new situation.

Besides which, at least over here the majority of the chosen are willing (or at least accepting), and counselling is offered for all those undergoing transition, unlike some of the other countries mentioned whereby the necessary quota is filled randomly, the boys are given the medical treatments then left to fend for themselves - or even worse, the countries where the culture has a strong paternalistic / chauvanistic bias which sound as though they're descending into anarchy and mob rule (presumably unwilling to consider that the combined effects of their government's policies and the public anger is leading them dangerously close to an eventual population crash)...

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Complexity

The complexity of the issues posed by this plot are truly breathtaking. Sue Brown is a genius!

It's been 20 years since the mysterious virus stopped any baby girls from being born. An entire generation of missing women! This poses some serious sociological and anthropological issues, even aside from the fact that mankind in this world is a single generation from the brink of extinction. Once the last women reach menopause, game over -- thanks for playing!

Things haven't crashed yet. The last individuals of the last normal generation of women are just reaching the age of 20 now, still at the peak of their fertility. But, they're still not having baby girls, and no one knows why. And, in trying, they're having at least twice the number of boys. Boys, who will grow up to be men, with no families to care for, no one to care for them, and all that implies.

From what we know, from the story, no one seems yet certain whether these factory-remade women are going to be able to have girl babies of their own, or whether the virus/curse is still upon the land.

I can see a number of desperate public health measures being tried under such circumstances, all quite intrusive, disruptive, and controversial. For one, a one-baby-boy limit per couple, with forced abortions. Another, attempts at impregnating women only with female-genotype sperm. I'm sure a scientific community that could change the sex of children could also filter sperm to separate the sexes.

This story has the potential for all the dystopian aspects of 1984, A Boy And His Dog, Brave New World, and more besides.

If these newly-hatched boys-into-girls turn out to be fertile, and free of the viral effects that cause girl fetuses to abort or be stillborn, one assumes that there's going to have to be some catch-up strategy. Fertile females who can bear female young are going to be helped/directed/forced into having ALL female young for several years to replenish the breeding stock. Lots of May-December unions in the offing, to make up for that missing generation of women. (Or maybe even March-December unions! Ewwwww!)

No matter what they do, this is one screwed up world! Well, for a couple generations, anyway.

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

Another issue that may be introduced

Is the dichotomy of sorts. Basically, in order to create a stable society that will not deteriorate, the transformees have to be active, assertive and independent. Otherwise, if they are meek or otherwise unable to lead others... Society will steadily come to a point when there are no prominent women, and a lot of men who consider themselves superior. When transfromed, those men will be crushed and will be made unable to assert themselves, prolonging the circle.

The dichotomy I was speaking about is present if GGs are Force feminising the Chosen. This way they are actively undermining future of the entire womankind, at the very least. Hacking off a branch they are sitting on, so to speak.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Excellent plot line. I see

Excellent plot line.

I see this school as being almost experimental inasmuchas they are trying to find a way of producing not just offspring but female offspring.
I have a feeling these children have been selected for traits that may prove to be the saving of mankind (or is that womankind?)

Justifying the change is not neccessary - these are times of extreme danger, humanity does what it has to to survive.
Nothing wrong in that premise at all.

If a child is correct for whatever reason they should be part of the scheme.

Keep up the great work - plot lines are working well and producing excellent avenues for emotion and angst.

XXJenny

I read this story through

I read this story through and noticed, I could be wrong, but the terminology from the first chapter seemed to have changed from the second chapter. From American, to British. Kinda pulled me out of it as I was reading. My 2 cents anyways
I used to be broken, I used to be lost. Unsure of what I was, until he found me...

Never be afraid to push yourself to new limits. While you might not see the path, you will be amazed at what you can achieve.

Other solution

I still feel it would be better to recruit volunteers to become girls by offering some major incentive instead of using force.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Interesting Update.

Maybe it's just me, and yes I know it's just fiction, but I can't think of any circumstance where Canada would join with the US. It does not seem like a logical partnership given the two opposing views, I couldn't picture the Americans *wanting* Canada to join them either. Not only are the views too opposing but the cultures and how they handle immigration, healthcare, and education to name a few issues would provide a substantial barrier in integrating the two countries. The only thing I could picture where Canada would enter a more united and structured partnership with the US would be a sort of North American Union similair to the European Union. An American invasion for Canadian natural resources would do it too! I can tell you, most Canadians love America but they wouldn't want to live there and the same can be said for Americans. Still I'm sure you had the reasons figured out and I'm sure they're good ones as well.

The writing is good as always, I can see that there's a lot of social and political conflict on the way in to the story but I'm still hoping for a little more gender conflict. Rebecca really doesn't have to accept this change.

"...I hadn’t wanted this to happen to me, but I knew that I had no choice. I could kick and scream about it until Armageddon, but it wouldn’t make one iota of difference. That didn’t mean that I didn’t think that it was unfair to arbitrarily take children away, change their bodies into something different. It was just the way it was. Looking at David, I could see that he needed help, badly."

I almost thought that line was written in there as a direct response to my earlier comment. Then I realised how narcissistic that sounded and figured you just wrote it that way in an effort to explain away why Rebecca simply accepted her "fate". That seems rather defeatist to me. I don't know why she would simply give in because there were no other visible options. There are certainly ways to fight your way out of any given situation and honestly Rebecca doesn't seem interested. Which leads me to believe she was actually a Transgendered Girl in denial or just a spineless, weak-willed, boy. I certainly hope it's the former, because she seems like a nice person, and an interesting character, and I don't think I could read a story with a main character I can't respect.

PS

I hope this isn't taken as either a political post or an attack on the writer and her story. The political part at the beginning just seems like a few logical reasons why the US of A & C wouldn't work in any peaceful way. The last paragraph are just my honest opinions on Rebecca. I like Sue Brown's stories a lot, and I'm hoping I'll love this one, but I need the main character to be respectable.

Defeatist or weak-willed?

The greatest problem with the situation Rebecca found herself in - it is caused by a worldwide catastrophe. There is simply no safe haven in the world. The only way to evade this fate for good was to find a better solution to this worldwide catastrophe, and that is beyond Rebecca's capabilities. Escaping is also unlikely given the situation. As it is, Rebecca has chosen a lesser evil of many. As I would have, most likely.

Canada and the US of A creating a single country? You know, from where I sit (Russia) it would make sort of a subdivision similar to Southern States...

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

If She's a Boy He's Quite Weak-willed.

First of all, I said she was either an "in denial TG girl" or a weak-willed boy". If she were truly a boy, and truly interested in remaining one, *he* would have put up a struggle and found a way out. A way out in any number of ways.

There are *always* other options. Sue Brown has laid it out that other countries are taking these steps but have you considered the validity of this information? This information was provided by the school workers and relayed directly *to* Rebecca. For all you know it's simply propaganda designed to placate the child, so they believe the rest of the world is doing the same thing and therefore there's no hope. But, assuming all you've been told is correct, you're trying to get me to believe there was no civil war when the governments implemented this mandate? That no parents took offense that their children were being "mutilated" without their consent? I would bet almost anything that there would be resistance groups *all* over the world, including the UK. Furthermore, if she *were* to run away where could she go? Who knows. It's not my story world so I can't say. But I bet she could get a job, support herself, children do this in real life. She could go to an anonymous shelter, any number of things.

There's also a sadder and more difficult, not to mention deadly option. Statistically speaking, TG people have one of the highest suicide rates. They are willing to die rather than be forced to live a lie. Even children as young as "Rebecca" have those same thoughts. I'd like to see the suicide rates in these countries and if "Rebecca" were truly intent on being a boy *he* would have even thought about it. But what do I know. She either had her dream come true or *he* is so weak-willed he can't be bothered to fight it.

But as you said "... it is caused by a worldwide catastrophe...". Does that mean the governments are doing all they can? It hardly seems like it. There's, what? 1 in 500 babies are born trans-gendered? If they simply changed the MtF TG children and took volunteers from the adults they would have quite a few baby makers. They could even turn it in to job. Using science you can even ensure that multiple babies are born in a single birth. Just look at octomom. So you're telling me governments are justified in transforming people against their will? With absolutely no way to ever turn back without important, life altering, bits missing? And all this occured within 20 years? That's the sort of thing I don't buy.

Second, you should probably research the historical and cultural differences a little more if you believe that it would be just like joining the Southern States and the Northern States. That's like saying Pakistan and India should rejoin or Japan and China would unite. The French influence on Canadian culture, along with our patriotic ties to the United Kingdom and the Queen make it far more likely we would return to colony status (which is far, far from likely). Sure, we share a language and watch several of their TV shows, but that doesn't make two countries merge and quite frankly neither would a financial crisis. The Canadian identity would be too important, in my opinion, to this country to simply give it up in times of strife.

Furthermore, the American identity would be scrambled by adding 33 million people with completely different ideals (remember: Canada's Conservatives are further left wing than America's Democrats). America certainly doesn't want that to happen, just look what happened when several people there thought a North American Union was going to form. They care so much about their own identity they wouldn't risk losing it by merging with a large, if sparsely populated, country. Like I said, I can only picture Canada merging if it were absorbed by an invasion or joined a more structured free trade agreement similar to the EU. The only way *that* would happen is if America were in such dire straights that they had to rely on someone else to survive. I bet if such a crisis *did* exist, the European Union would either die or expand as it tried to deal with the issues. If it expanded Canada would probably express interest in joining and would end up protecting it's own identity.

And I realise that Sue Brown probably included this "USAC" as a little joke. It actually surprised me to see Canada's name in *anything*. It just never gets recognition or mention in almost any story. I like that it was. Just don't try to tell me that realistically it would be possible. I don't think it'd mesh.

But if you want to discuss Canadian and American relationships in more depth I'd be happy to oblige. I love political and economical discussions quite a bit.

Bellisarios Maxim

Don't examine this too closely.

I can see you feel very strongly about the issue, and have a very firm stand on your opinion of Rebecca. I do not agree with it, but that's me. So, to your points:
---Information provided to Rebecca was provided by an Unreliable Narrator. A very good point and I did not consider that - I mostly pay attention to what was said, not who said it - unless said someone has warranted my attention before. The school officials at that point did not, so it did not stay as important. However, please remember that Rebecca is a child to ambasaddors, who have to know a lot about politics and international relations and situations on their own. She was likely kept up-to-date by her own parents, so she is likely better informed than we are.
---Rebellions and resistance. Keep in mind that this story is happening twenty years after the virus, and as was said in the very first chapter, many social stances have changed - so being gay is not even worth raising a stink about anymore. Social unrest was of a much higher probability and intensity in the early years, and now there is already a generation gap in place. Also, to be successfully followed and supported, such a movement has to successfully present a better solution to the problem than there already is. Compulsory transition is working, at least. Also, there is also likely an underthought of dooming someone else to the same fate by escaping. The government is not the only one who has to make choices, ethical and not.
---Sadder option. Reportedly is frequent in third world countries, where conversions are forced moreso than elsewhere.
---Governments, are they doing all they can? You think not. But, do you have ideas to contribute, have you got proof to back up your suggestions? Because you pointed out a lot of negative consequences of actions governments took, and only one suggestion to rectify it. I do not approve of these actions, but the consequences of abandoning these actions altogether are more dire. The choice of lesser evils is still in effect, so long as there is no good choices.

As for Canada and USA merging? I have about as much knowledge about the countries I can reasonably expect of you to know about, say, Mongolia or Congo. Canada is a Commonwealth member, it consists of quite a few provinces, Quebec was founded by French colonists, and there are raptors jousting sports (oh wait, it was in a webcomic). USA had 13 original colonies, 1776 - Declaration of Independance, 1800-somethings was a Civil War between the Southern Confederation and Northern States - and Abe Lincoln died after the end. 1930s - Great Depression, 1945 - couple of nukes on Japan, 1968 - Martin Luther King, 1996 - Alien invasion (oh wait, it was a movie).

Like I said, I can only picture Canada merging if it were absorbed by an invasion or joined a more structured free trade agreement similar to the EU. The only way *that* would happen is if America were in such dire straights that they had to rely on someone else to survive. I bet if such a crisis *did* exist, the European Union would either die or expand as it tried to deal with the issues. If it expanded Canada would probably express interest in joining and would end up protecting it's own identity.

Several of these I can address, methinks. America - needs to secure a resourse base close to home, since China and third world countries are not that easy to milk anymore. It could be proactive thinking on their part. Invasion would lead to constant unrest and is therefore undesirable. EU has found another partner, also close to their home - Russia. As for EU and Canada joining? It may have been possible, but the distance is an issue there. Different continents, you know.

And I just had a thought - we are discussing the virus as a problem in and of itself. We are missing the bigger picture I think - the virus is just another critical issue piled up on many more that are present even in our world - from shrinking reserves of natural fuels, to social unrest in third world (Somali pirates), to overpopulation. Do you know that even now, statistically, only one out of ten children is born in the first and second world countries, like EU, US, UK, Canada, Japan and Russia. Other nine are of the third world.

And about Pakistan and India, China and Japan. The first two were British colonies, and had a major falling out partly induced by religious views. Even now, Jammu and Kashmir are a major issue between them. And China was occupied by Japanese Army shortly before and during the WW2.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

RE: Bellisarious Maxim

I love the response, thanks for taking the time to write that all out.

And about Pakistan and India, China and Japan. The first two were British colonies, and had a major falling out partly induced by religious views. Even now, Jammu and Kashmir are a major issue between them. And China was occupied by Japanese Army shortly before and during the WW2.

That was exactly my point! Those countries would be just as likely to absorb in to a single entity as Canada and the United States. I can see you know quite a bit about Canada and United States, however that knowledge seems rather Wikipedia entry. You know the dates and the colonization but you don't know the social changes. Before 1776 Americans loved Great Britain. They considered themselves proud British citizens and would do nothing to give that up, however due to the amount of taxes and the way the King just flippantly instituted laws in the Americas *without* American say so and how the Americans were not allowed to pass their own laws they got rather annoyed.

Eventually it got to a point where the Americans were trying everything to come to a fair and equal solution. They even offered up the idea of a sort of Governor General who would represent the king and allow the Americans to pass laws without having to wait months and months to send it back to Britain. Unfortunately the King was an idiot and told the Americans no. The Americans got mad and started a revolution. Now this is where things really start to divide: about 50,000 loyal British Americans made their way north towards Canada where they knew they could find safe harbour. This lead to a strong, positive, feeling towards the monarchy in Canada.

The Americans who stayed behind started the United States we know today. Ever weary of a British invasion from the north, they wrote into their constitution the right to bare arms. They started freedom celebrations and the founding of the States. They felt so emboldened by their victory that they started to expand. Eventually, as a result of the British impressing several American citizens in to their Navy in the early 19th century, the US invaded Canada. They were so confident of their victory in 1812 that Thomas Jefferson went on record saying: "The acquisition of Canada this year, as far as the neighborhood of Quebec, will be a mere matter of marching, and will give us the experience for the attack on Halifax, the next and final expulsion of England from the American continent."

Of course we all know what happened next. The Americans were driven off, there were victories and losses on both sides but in the end the invasion failed. A final attack, after the treaty was signed, was an overwhelming victory for the United States ushering in a new feeling of pride and nationalism.

Things remained quiet for Canada for a while, excluding a short lived rebellion, and during this time Canadians love for the monarch expanded exponentially with Queen Victoria Day being passed as an official holiday in the 1830's. The United States had a huge civil war over multiple issues, the most notable one being civil rights and freedom. When the country was finally put back together it took over one hundred years before the racial hatreds that still existed in the south were finally cooled again. Canada was much more fortunate, it abolished slavery and was instrumental in the underground railroad. Although an interesting little hypocritical fact was that Canada secretly hoped that the South would win the war.

A few years after the end of the civil war Canada petitioned Britain for the same rights America had wanted almost a hundred years previous. The rights to make their own laws in the absence of the monarch. Britain gave in fearing a revolution similar to that of the United States. It was at this time that Canada chose it's official title The Dominion of Canada. It would have been The Kingdom of Canada but the British feared that the United States would perceive a Kingdom on their doorsteps as a threat and launch an attack.

Of course the rest of history is pretty obvious: Canada was pulled in to the war in 1914 as it was still under direct control of Britain. It gained it's national identity on Vimmy Ridge as well as several other battles. This national pride continues to this day. In the 1930's the statute of west minster gave Canada new found freedoms. It officially gave Canada the ability to act as it saw fit in almost all matters. Canada was able to test this theory in 1939 where it waited a week to declare war on Germany after Great Britain to prove it's own independence.

America refused to enter another war so soon and remained in isolation, and made a bit of profit selling weapons to both sides. Canada felt such pride at being Canadians and still felt quite a bit of love for the monarchy that where Britain went Canada would follow. I doubt anyone needs reminding of the accomplishments of WWII so I'll skip on ahead to 1982 when the Canadian constitution was finally brought home from the UK under the reign of HM. Queen Elizabeth II of Canada. Like in the UK, the love of the monarchy dropped substantially in the early 1990's, however it began to rise again in to the 2000's.

Sadly many Canadians don't even realise they still have a Queen. But every new immigrant does, and the government has no plans to dislodge it in anyway except for the Bloc Quebecois who represent the French separatist movements. Personally, I remain proud of my heritage as do the majority of Canadians. The monarchy is as strong as ever here and Republicanism is as strong as ever in the United States. Although government involvement has been taking quite a lot of heat in the US.

Ever since the 19th century America has believed quite strongly in a no government involvement policy in almost every aspect of American life. Canada evolved to have a completely different policy. Shortly after the UK developed a healthcare policy in the 40's Canada developed a similar policy in the 60's. Banks became more structured and regulated in Canada and less so in the US. The US realised their potential as a world power after WWII and began to expand their influence throughout the world. Canada realised that if a world war could happen twice than it could happen again. In the 50's Canada developed the idea of "peacekeeping" and tried to stay out of international affairs except to mediate peace between restless nations.

America never did see a British invasion but by that point loved their guns *so* much they refused to allow regulations. Canada on the other hand began a a series of policies that saw the strict regulations on gun control.

There are a *lot* more things I could write here about history but I think this is quite long enough. Canada and the US started with the same roots but the social changes that have run through both countries left them *both* substantially different after 234 years. The United States essentially took a right turn in 1776 and Canada took a left turn. Even in the present day Canada is much more left wing than the United States ever will be. Sure the US would want to hurry up and get a lot of Natural Resources close by but Canada already *has* those resources. Canada is a very self-sufficient country, it has plenty of oil, trees, farmland, and not to mention water. However, Canada's trade is essentially 70% with the US. This means that American relations with Canada are very important. But that does not mean that in a dire situation Canada and the US would merge.

Canadian ideals are so very different from American ones and Canadians care a great deal about their identity. One thing Canadians fear most about our trade relationship with the US is the fear that Canada is losing it's identity to America. Canadians hate the idea of harmonizing with the US, a lot. So much so that in the event of a world crisis Canada would never, under any circumstance, merge with US. Canada is self-sufficient enough that such a move would not be necessary. A closer trade relationship *would* be beneficial in a crisis but nothing would be formed that would compromise Canadian identity. I'm sure the same could be said about the US.

About those rebellions. It's not necessarily a feeling of "homophobia" that would cause people to violently fight what's expected of them. It's the idea of your children being taken away from you, hacked and reformed in to something even *they* didn't want to be. This is *only* 20 years after the crisis started. It took over one hundred years for blacks to be accepted by whites in the South. You honestly think that even under those circumstances homosexuality would be accepted universally in just 20 years? Hardly likely.

I also think from a religious point of view you need to remember several religions hate even contraception. You think that they would sit idly by while governments changed their children against their will? While, from their point of view, boys made babies with boys? No I'm pretty sure they'd fight it. I'm also fairly certain many religious organisations would see this as a sign from God that the world is *meant* to end. They might even fight to the death to make sure that this technology was never used again.

As for Governments not doing all they can. How do I have no ideas to contribute to find a solution? I certainly gave one. Yes it's only one solution (a pretty fair one by the way) but like I said earlier, I don't live in this world. I can only draw theories based on what I think *could* happen given such a situation. Allowing those who want to change over to change would eliminate the social unrest that should be created by it and using science to help create multiple births in order to make up for the drop in females is a pretty good solution, in my opinion.

As for the sadder option: it was pretty obvious it would be higher in third world countries. But I think what you need to look at is "higher" is a subjective term. You've drawn the conclusion that it's done well enough in the UK where the children a properly brainwashed that the suicide rate is probably the same as it is today. But I certainly wonder if it is indeed "higher" in the UK than we're lead to believe.

I want it made clear: You make it sound like I think Rebecca is some silly little flimsy and spineless character. But really, the *only* way I think she is if she really was a boy to start with. *If* she was a TG girl in denial this would have been a dream come true, so why fight it? But a boy, any actual boy with a backbone, would not have put up with someone just deciding that they'd make a good girl and *poof* suddenly they are one. I don't buy that. They'd be a little more affected by it then just "well... there's not much I can do so I might as well not even raise a stink about it". *That* is a defeatist attitude. If she's a girl than she's happy, why mess with it. But if she truly were a boy, he is one weak-willed, spineless, defeatist, pathetic excuse for a boy.

Yikes... I probably could have written a short story with all these words. Heh. I certainly hope this isn't taken in an extremely negative light. If any harsh feelings are created by this let me know.

Info dump

Wow. So much information. I never knew most of that, thanks!

Good points about religions and rebellions. We have not seen them, but it does not mean they don't exist.
Who said volunteers are not accepted? However, I feel your suggestion of multiple births has an implied image of women as baby factories, that are utilised in most efficient manner available. It goes in contrary with the image of 'life is as normal as it is going to be' that the government must be cultivating.
I don't think I came to that conclusion about the sadder option, not conciously at least.
I think that my protecting Rebecca's point of view and decision not to fight the change imposed on her is coming from my opinion that I would have acted in a similar manner in the situation. So I take your critique of character more personally than otherwise would. Hmmm, I wonder how would Rebecca react if she had your words told her. David only said she gave in so easily.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Contd.

I forgot to add about the European Union: Distance really has no relevance on joining. There already *is* a country in the EU that isn't even in Europe. Is it really hard to believe that Canada would be barred access to the EU because it was on a different continent? I don't think so. Currently this *is* the case but I'm willing to bet that if an American Union doesn't form eventually the EU will expand to include countries outside of Europe. I'm sure Canada will express an interest in joining. Currently we're already pressuring the EU to open free trade negotiations with us.

To wrap it up I wouldn't think that if the EU were looking to expand further that Russia would simply satisfy it. If it had the option to add a country with bounds of resources and one of the highest GDP's in the world would the commission actually say "well... we *could* add Canada, but we already have Russia so there's no point"?

Nice arguments, girls!

Celynn and Faraway.

It's nice that the story has started a dialogue about the past, current and future state of the world and all the 'what if's' that the future may hold.

Celynn, your point about the USA and Canada never being amalgamated could probably hold true. But this world is very different from the world you and I live in. It can take just a few events in history that change the world forever in a short space of time. The first and second world war,changed the landscape of the world. The financial crisis has changed our economic world and nearly brought countries and governments to their knees. 9/11 was an event that changed our perception of terrorism and the lengths some people would go to destabilise the world as we know it.

So, I do not think twenty years is too short a time or even a few years. Things happen fast now, with instant communications and events being televised live as it happens, so we have to disagree on that one.

As for USA and Canada? Remember we are looking at this through the eyes of a child and what she has been told. History, I have been led to believe is normally written by the winners and not the losers, so it could be that things and events have happened in the world that Rebecca is unaware of.

As for Rebecca being spineless, perhaps you should read the story so far again and you will see that she has misgivings and desperately wanted to speak to her parents about it.

Of course, I can be a bit smug about this, as i know what is happening and going to happen and you are just speculating. that is what I love about this and I get real enjoyment from the comments the story has generated.

Faraway, thanks for sticking up for Rebbecca, I have a feeling that she needs all the help she can get!

Hugs
Sue


~~ This post brought to you by the sponsors of Sue Brown and the letters q, f, j, l and the number 67 ~~

Glad you weren't offended.

I'm glad you didn't take the comments negatively, because honestly they weren't meant as such.

I feel like you've drawn the same conclusion from my arguments as Faraway. I don't think Rebecca is spineless but I do think the boy she use to be was spineless. It's technical difference, but a difference none the less.

As for the few events that change history in a short of time: you are, of course, correct. It's also your world so I won't say what will happen and I'll try and stop myself from saying what should happen. However, I can't help but analyse the political changes taking place. If you're looking at the changes that have taken place over just the last one hundred years you'll notice that most of the time when borders are redrawn *more* countries are created than destroyed.

Many European powers were destroyed by the end of WWI like Russia, Austria-Hungary, Germany, the Ottoman Empire, and Britain began it's slow decline from an Empire to the head of a Commonwealth. Even though these powers were dismantled, and empires collapsed, smaller countries were created through central and western Europe and the middle east in an effort to placate minorities (not to mention Canada officially decolonizing). Moving on to WWII you'll notice eastern Europe was taken under a single banner for a short while, but only through military conquest. If people feel they are a minority then they also feel like they need to be represented. If they don't have that representation you will have civil unrest. This is why Czechoslovakia separated in to two entities, so the needs of each group could be met by the individual governments created.

I do agree that if such an event occurred lines would be redrawn, borders would change, and the world might become something that is hardly recognizable. I just struggle with the idea, even in the "information age" that the Canadian identity, which is so separate from the US one, would be lost twenty years just because we have easier access to information technologies.

I'm also aware that all we've been told is from Rebecca's point of view and we might not have seen all that's going on, in fact I made that point myself. I'll also admit that some of my conclusions of her easily accepting her fate as a boy's boy to a girl stems a bit from her quick change of name and easy acceptance of her situation in the second chapter. I did notice she's have a few uneasy feelings I'm just hoping that they won't be wiped to the sidelines with all that's going on.

Lastly, if you *do* explore the amalgamation of Canada and the US I'd really enjoy hearing how this new government dealt with the Native Americans of Canada and the Quebec separatists. I'd be curious to hear how the social unrest created by these events would play out. Honestly, in the event of world destruction like this I would have thought several states would attempt to split off from the union.

Oh, I know this isn't relevant to the plot or anything but where is the new capital? =D

pHEW!

I've just read all the comments re C & F, very interesting but the're almost longer than the story!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

The Chosen 3

You set the standard Sue!

Just getting into the story, looks good, reads well, what else fron Sue?

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Two Petals for Rebecca

I like the way the story moves. Not everyone goes at the same pace. Though life is not programed, I do in ways feel chosen. I think having a femine side gives life breath. Life does hold a mixture of feelings. Thanks Susan for sharing your gift.
Hugs,
Jessie