My UEI (Unknown Entity Intervention) Chapter 24

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 24

It was just me and Eve going. Eve decided the car journey was the perfect opportunity to discuss what she knew about the school. She had only moved in the last couple of years, so she wasn't a long term resident and could only report what her school contacts had told her. The school was a public school, but it was catering to a very rich area with extremely wealthy contributors. The teachers were said to be first class and the facilities excellent.

Since the catchment area only included the well off to billionaires, they were strict with their admission policies. This meant the diversity of the students was pretty narrow. There had been complaints regarding this and in previous years they had let in a more diverse population, but it had caused tensions so it had been abandoned. They were keen on their football and basketball but not very successful. For the girls there was cheerleading, women's basketball, soccer, track, swimming and gymnastics. I'm guessing the men had more options but Eve had not looked into it or didn't think it was worth mentioning.

I think they had planned the visit to coincide with when everybody should be in class, so when we arrived it was relatively deserted. The grounds were huge and the building well maintained. If I was to guess, I would say that it was built in the 1920's as there was this art deco feel to it. The layout seemed straight forward with wide corridors and lots of lockers.

There were a few stragglers who stared at Eve in surprise, before hurrying off. Eve was holding a map that we used to direct us to the administration area. Gem or Lisa probably printed it out for her. The receptionist offered us drinks while she informed the principal that we had arrived. He came out shortly afterwards, introduced himself and ushered us into his office. He sat himself behind a big wooden desk. Eve sat opposite and I sat next to her.

The man was tall, but thin. I felt wary of him without my anxiety triggering in a big way.

“I believe we can accommodate you, Ms Hatwell. Certainly these are unusual circumstances, and I would like some legal documentation showing that you are her legal guardian at some stage. We have had foreign students here before. We can use transfer information from her previous school and use our assessments, so that she should be able to graduate.”

“That is great, Mr Calder. There are a couple of issues that we needed to discuss, so thank you for granting us some of your time.”

I couldn't help glancing at Eve. She was showing a much more serious side to her than I had seen previously. Still strong and assertive, but now more business like.

“To start with, I presume our conversation is confidential?” Eve continued.

“Of course.”

“We are unsure what name Sophia's school transcripts would come under. Sophia was diagnosed as transgender and had been living as a boy until relatively recently. The school she was attending, was a boy's school where she was known as Richard. Her birth certificate and passport still have her as Sophia, but we don't know under what name the school will send the file.”

“I don't think that will be a problem. The receptionist will have to know and I will need some proof that Richard and Sophia are one and the same, if they come through under Richard. As I said before we can start her off under our protocols for foreign exchange students until we can sort out the paperwork. For stability it would be better if that was done sooner rather than later.” Mr Calder replied.

“I do appreciate your assistance. As I mentioned I am a strong advocate for education and want Soph to start as soon as possible, however, there is a slight snag. Part of the reason that Sophia is in my and her Aunt's care is because she has been through some trauma. Just to be safe we want a therapist to give the go ahead before she starts. Today I will be making some calls and hope to find someone as soon as possible.”

“I would normally suggest that you see our school counsellor. If she couldn't assist you she would know who could. Unfortunately, she has recently resigned.” He looked at us both with a considering look, then took a deep breath. “We have a good school here, with I believe excellent teachers and good students. We have had a recent incident that does not look favourably on us. When Sophia joins us, she would likely find out so it is better if I mention the particulars. The school counsellor, Mrs Bartlett, used to hold confidential group meetings with the LGBT students. Someone, and we don't know who, managed to place hidden cameras in the room and recorded one session. This was then posted on youtube anonymously and shared on facebook. Everyone who was in the closet, so to speak, is now out of the closet. Some parents of those affected have removed their children and those that haven't have reported some isolating behaviour. No outright bullying, for which we have a no tolerance policy. Mrs Bartlett felt responsible and under some pressure from some of the parents, decided to resign. It is not ideal. Right now we need a counsellor more than ever and I am endeavouring to speed up the process of hiring a new one. When I have found a suitable replacement, would you like me to give her your contact details?”

“We may well have solved the issue by then, but, yes, please do.” Eve responded.

“On the presumption that Sophia will be starting at some point, I will give you the papers that you need to fill in, so that we can work out her schedule.”

“That is fine. Is it possible we could have a tour?”

“Absolutely. I will take you myself.”

The principal knew his school like the back of his hand. I am pretty sure that a principal would not ordinarily conduct a tour, but we are talking about Eve here. Even if she didn't want it, she would get special treatment. He showed us the obvious stuff, classrooms, gym, grounds, swimming pool, and specialist areas, like the AV room and music studios. Whilst he was doing so he would also add details, like clubs and opportunities that the school provided.

“So, what do you think?” Eve asked me, as we were driving back.

“The school seems very nice. It does sound a bit worrying about the LGBT students. I am about 90% sure that I am a lesbian. I think ones sexual orientation should be a private matter not something spread across the school. I really feel for those affected.” I'm sure the school may think no bullying is going on. I am also sure that physically hurting someone is only one aspect of bullying. I didn't want to think about that too much, I was well aware that I could well be the next target. “When we were talking to the principal, you mentioned that you would be my legal guardian as well as Gem. I thought we were only saying that to get me in and when we had evidence that Gem and I were living with you, I would just be Gem's legal responsibility?”

“I am sorry, we never asked you and we should have done. We were discussing it yesterday. We can write a letter to say that you are staying at my house with your Aunt. That does not sound like a very stable environment and Laura asked a valid, if uncomfortable question. What would happen to you if Gem was incapacitated? Child services would take you away, no question. Plan for the worst while hoping for the best, is what my dad would always say. Laura said she would be happy to take over, but she is often all over the place with her work, so logically I was a better choice. Do you mind if I also become your legal guardian?”

“No. Of course not. It just caught me by surprise. You both have been so kind to me.” I could feel myself getting emotional again. I blinked back tears. I still wanted her to know how I felt, so I leaned across and kissed her on her cheek. “Thank you.” I said.

up
152 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh

I thought Eve might like Sophia too much to manipulate her, even if she is a government operative. If Eve becomes her guardian and Gem has an "accident"... well it doesn't look hopeful for Sophia or Gem.

But then, why would Eve introduce her to school if the government plans on taking possession of Sophia? What would Laura do if Eve handed Sophia over to the government? Me confused.

Eve knows?

I am pretty sure i have not written that Eve has been told anything, only that her father was going to be informed and a plan made with him and Agent Atworth. Eve has worked for her father before, but that doesn't mean he has told her anything yet. The story is mainly told from Sophia's POV, so it is possible it has happened, but i haven't written it anywhere and i am not sure it would make sense with her actions.

I hope that unconfuses you.
Savannah

Future conflict

Yup.

Don't forget

With Eve's popularity and high public profile, if she disagrees with whatever the government wants her to do and ends up protecting Sophia she could easily turn the tables on any government plot to make Sophia disappear by pulling her on stage with her and thus making Sophia a public figure like herself.

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Guardian

My5InchFMHeels's picture

I think both Eve and Laura have both taken a shine to Sophia, they'll likely put her best interest ahead of an agenda.

Hopefully the school will work the way they want it to, to help her over her issues with guys.

Schedule question

No singing lessons this Monday morning?

Enjoying this nice story. Please continue.

Deen

singing lessons

Eve mentioned in a previous chapter that with Soph going to school she would have to rearrange the singing lessons.

singing lessons

Indeed, at the end of chapter 18:

Eve - ... Soph should be able to start school.
Laura - ... What about the singing lessons you have organised?
Eve - I still want her to continue them. I will organise with Danica to come another time.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my comment.

Deen

Reply

You're Welcome.