Danny - Part 8

Printer-friendly version

 

 

Danny, Part 8: Center of Attention

 
This is Part Eight of the story about Daniel, a guy with a unique talent and an even more unique problem: A great singing voice and the looks of his gorgeous sister. And how he, his family and friends deal with it. And after going on TV in his female DJ persona, the charismatic and sexy radio celebrity Robin a.k.a. the Nighthawk, to host a radio-TV program promoting the band called Unlimited Bandwidth, whose lead singer is his other persona, Dannie, the talented and sexy teen pop singer, he finds his life fragmenting more and more. And after becoming part of a small print campaign for the radio station, his expanding multimedia presence attracted the attention of the global fashion brand, Blumenfeld House. Now, Danny is about to embark on a new career - that of a fashion model in both his Dannie and Robin personae. It's enough to make anyone schizophrenic.  Still, life goes on, though a little more strained for our intrepid hero (or is it heroine?). And as he becomes the latest fashion idol and media celebrity, his finds his problem with Janet growing, as well as finds that the teen music scene is as venomous as other industries - full of opportunism, jealousy and backstabbing.

In the meantime, life goes on, and he and the family and the guys get to go to Ireland to visit and reconnect with his grandmother Rosemary and Clan O'Caiside, and he, his sister and his girlfriend find out what destiny has in store for them.
 

A lengthy Author's Note:

As readers of the DannyVerse know, my last installment of the story (Part 7, containing chapters 21-54) came out in the middle of 2019, and I also wrote another "companion piece" ("Fire on the 14th") as part of "Danny's Other Stories."

After almost one year, I am starting up Part 8. Hopefully I can finish Part 8 in a reasonable time, and, hopefully, Part 8 will finally wrap up Danny's story. Also, please note that the story will not make the COVID-19 pandemic a part of the narrative. In the DannyVerse, it'll be as if there was no Coronavirus epidemic. I made this decision because including the pandemic in the narrative might ruin the story as there is no room for it, storywise.
 

Danny's Jukebox:

Part 8 also continues the experiment from Part 7. Ever since the time the first installment of the story came out in Crystal's Storysite, there have been people who have commented that I should take out the lyrics of the songs I insist on putting in as it affects the readability of the story. But, for me, the songs provide much-needed atmosphere. I suppose they're right in a way - people can approximately see what I see in my mind's eye only if they have heard the songs before.

So, as in Part 7, I'm continuing the "Jukebox." Here is how it works:

From time to time, you will see cartoony numbers in the text. When you see them, it means that song lyrics follow, and if the reader feels frustrated because she doesn't know the song, she can refer to the Jukebox Text File.

This file ("jukebox.pdf") contains links to YouTube files on the net, which are listed by number. If, for example, you see a cartoony number , you can copy-and-paste the link for song number 726 from the Jukebox Text File, into your browser. By doing so, you will run the YouTube video for the original song the story is referring to. This will allow you to listen to it as you read, thereby adding a new dimension to the story.

This is better than putting in a hotlink because it avoids having too many links and callouts, and it's easier to code it in my text. Besides, the admin folk prefer hotlinks to external files be minimized.

If the Jukebox is too much trouble, you can opt not to use it at all and just read the story in the conventional way. But I suspect you'll want to use it coz there are lots of songs lol. (If there are songs in a chapter, the link to the Jukebox - a small picture of a Wurlitzer jukebox - will be at the beginning: just click it and the Jukebox Text File will be downloaded to your computer.)
 

About songs:

In terms of copyright and fair use, quoting song lyrics is a dodgy thing, even with the application of Fair Use practices. But know three things - (1) this is a not-for-profit work of fiction, and there is no intention of profiting from the works of others; (2) song lyrics and other peoples' works are attributed, one way or another, through the mention of the singer, the author, the source of the song, or the title, but written in a way that makes the attribution part of the story's text, so this writer acknowledges them and makes no claims of ownership to these quoted works, and; (3) normally, this would be more than enough of a notice, but if some owners of these works ask, this writer will be will remove their works immediately.

In any case, when this work is published commercially, the commercial version will strictly comply with Fair Use practices, limiting the amount of quoted text to the prescribed amount only.
 

Fair warning to all:

Part 8 will also have some very sexually explicit scenes. But I promise that they will not be gratuitous - no sex for sex's sake, and no underage sex (the characters are sixteen years of age or older). Regardless, they will be integral to the narrative and, in those few scenes, I will try to be tasteful. If you don't like such scenes, read at your own risk.
 

And, finally, my usual caveats:

As I have said in the previous instalments, please forgive the grammatical errors, ill-advised story elements, and any format problems. I'd like to request that anyone who sees grammatical or spelling errors, or technical issues, to please PM me privately instead of embarrassing me in a public comment, and I will fix them (I'm sure everyone knows my feelings about those who do that kind of thing to writers).  I really am trying to get better at writing, and, as I told some folks back in 2010, I will be taking them up on their offers of editing eventually (that is if they are still interested).

- - - - -

And now, the continuation…

up
71 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Welcome back

As I remember, you took a break from writing (with warning) for other reasons, long before Covid had even started in Wuhan. Since that warning I have hopefully looked for your resumption. Now Danny, for a start. But do you also plan to continue some of your other amputated threads? I hope so!
Best wishes
Dave

Cute :)

Enemyoffun's picture

Very cute cover pic :D

Amazing

I cant believe I found my way back to this story. I started reading it over ten years ago and was sad then when there wasn’t another chapter. In the past month this story has been popping up in my thoughts from time to time and went searching for it this past weekend. I power read up to this point ever since I found it and I’m hungry for more. Thank you for writing a wonderful story. I’m looking forward to future chapters