On the Cut - Part 1

Printer-friendly version

There are some days in the middle of winter that are perfectly described using a single word. That word is ‘Dreich’. It is a Scottish word that means one or more of the following, ‘Bleak, miserable, dismal, cheerless and dreary.' If you add a biting wind that comes from straight from the Arctic ocean and you get the idea about just how it was that day.

If I’d have had any say in the matter, I’d have been in a pub with a big log fire, some good food and more than a few pints of good beer. But I didn’t have any say in what I had to do that day.

I was at the helm of my narrowboat 'Roxy' and heading west out of London. I'd been moored at various places in the City since the previous October. You can legally moor up for up to two weeks at a time without paying mooring fees. A good number of people live all year round like that. I'd hoped to have stayed until the warmer weather but as they say, the best-laid plans and all that.

Roxy had sprung a leak over the time I’d been in London and needed to receive some TLC plus a few upgrades. Roxy is also my home for most of the year. While it wasn’t serious it could get that way if left unattended so, I’d booked her into the boatyard in Oxford for a refit starting in three weeks. London to Oxford is not that far as the crow flies but by water, it is getting on for double the distance. A lot of the trip is also against the flow of the River Thames which cuts your speed down quite a bit. The day was set to be cold but sunny so I’d made an early start on my journey.


I’d made good time and had just passed the back of Wormwood Scrubs Prison when I heard a commotion behind me.

I turned around to see five young men all wearing black hoodies and bandana's and riding BMX bikes chasing a single man along the towpath. It looked like that they were going to win the race when I saw one of them pull a large knife from his belt. I guessed that they were out for blood. I could not let that happen.

I quickly assessed the situation and realised that if I could get the man being pursued onto my boat, I could take us over to the far side of the can and hopefully out of their reach.

I throttled back and took Roxy close to the bank as I dared. The man looked terrified.

“Jump on board,” I shouted.

The man didn’t need a second invite. He leapt aboard and in doing so, almost knocked me off the other side. I quickly regained my composure and got Roxy going again. I put the tiller hard over and slowly she came close to the far bank of the canal.

Those in pursuit were not happy. They started mouthing off at both of us. They threatened to kill both of us ‘Paedo’s and make an example of us in the process. What they had in mind for us was not very nice at all. As a follow-up to the verbals, they started lobbing whatever came to hand at Roxy and the two of us.

A narrowboat is not a swift vessel at the best of times and there are speed limits on the canal but for once, I opened her right up in the vain hope that we could escape. The gang were easily able to outpace us but I carried on nevertheless with Roxy hugging the far side of the canal as much as possible.

We approached a rail bridge. A sign on the side of it said ‘Mitre Road Junction’. One of the gang went up onto the railway bridge and started to relieve himself right onto Roxy as we passed underneath.

“Duck into the cabin,” I said ushering the young man down the steps and into my living quarters.

I had waterproofs on but even so, I really didn’t want to get his urine on me even if I was wearing fully waterproof clothes. Thankfully, he’d shot his load just before I passed under him.

Once we were out the other side of the bridge, I fully expected to see them chasing us but they stopped at the bridge and continued to hurl insults at us until we could hear them no more.

I breathed a sigh of relief and throttled back until we were travelling with legal limits once again.

Five minutes later, I slowed right down and came into the bank. There was no sign of the hoodie-wearing thugs and I decided that it was time for a temporary halt whereas the song goes, 'I could review the situation'.

“Why? Why have you stopped?” asked my guest with a lot of urgency in their voice.

“Those thugs didn’t follow us beyond the railway bridge and I need a brew it is pretty cold standing up there for hour after hour.”

“Brew?”

“Tea. Far too early for booze but it is never too early for some tea.”

He relaxed as I leapt off ‘Roxy’ and tied her up to a gatepost on the other side of the towpath. Then after going back on board my boat, I went down into the cabin.

My guest was very nervous. He backed away from me.

“There is no need to be afraid of me. If you want to get off there is the door.”

I moved away from the steps that led out of the cabin. He didn’t move.

“I’m Ray. Ray Curtis and this is my home, the narrowboat Roxy,” I said as a way of welcoming him. I filled the kettle and put it on to boil. I use a small gas stove for all my cooking.

My guest said nothing but carried on watching me prepare the cups for two teas.

“Milk? Sugar?”

“Just milk please.”

From the few words he’d said, I guessed that he was from Suffolk. He sounded just like my second cousin Frank who came from Stowmarket.

The kettle came to the boil and I poured us large mugs of tea. He just wrapped his hands around the mug. He was not dressed for this weather and his hands were quite grimy. I wondered when was the last time he’d had a decent wash let alone a shower or a bath.

I considered inviting him to take a shower but I didn't have enough water on board at the moment. Water, water everywhere and nary a drop to drink. All of us who lived on the canals had said that to ourselves many times.

“What do I call you?” I asked.

He didn’t answer.

“It does not have to be your real name. Many of us on the water use assumed names for a variety of reasons. Ray Curtis is not my real name but it is the name that others who live on the canal know me by.”

He looked at me suspiciously. I guessed that he was around sixteen or seventeen. Most of the young people living on the streets seem to be that sort of age.

“Melody. I’m Melody.”

The fact that he was using a female name didn’t shock me. I could see the remains of some red and black nail varnish on his left hand.

“Welcome aboard Roxy, Melody.”

She looked at me as if to say… ‘didn’t you hear what I just said?’

"Melody is such a nice name. I don't think that I have ever met another Melody before."

"Don't it matter that I'm a man and… Well… Like… Melody is a female name?"

“It does not matter at all Melody.”

“Bollocks! I’m a tranny. Most people throw a mega wobbly when they hear that.”

I smiled back at her.

“Have I thrown a wobbly as you put it? No, I haven’t. I learned a long time ago to take people as I see them.”

“Yeah right!”

“I’m being serious. As I said, a lot of people who live on the canals of Britain use fake names. Bargees have done that since the start of the canal age in the late eighteenth century. I know of two people who call themselves Dawn and George. Dawn is like you a male to female transsexual. George is female to male. They are now in their fifties and have been together for around thirty years. No one really knows and what is more important, no one really cares. They travel around the canals doing odd jobs for the other canal folk. George is a wizard at fixing things like toasters and the like. Dawn makes furniture and other stuff. They rock up at a mooring for a week to ten days at a time and then move on. There are many others like them living on the ‘cut’.”

Melody didn’t say much so I changed the subject.

“I’m heading for a mooring just to the east of Hayes tonight. There is a huge Tesco’s right alongside the canal. If you want, we can get you some clothes.”

“I don’t have any money and I’m not taking any from you!” replied Melody very forcibly.

I tried hard but failed to suppress a small laugh.

“Everyone thinks that just because I’m on the streets I’m fair game. You buy me a meal and expect me you suck your dick in return,” countered Melody.

“The last thing I was thinking about was having you suck my dick as you so eloquently put it. How about you work for your keep. Do some housework, help with the locks and such like. In return, I’ll provide you with a place to sleep, food and some decent clothing. If we buy you some clothes today and then you decide to leg it with them, then that’s my loss. What do you say?”

Melody didn’t answer me so I tried another tack.

"Why not buy something sensible but nice then wear it tonight and we can go out for an Indian tonight. There is a great place near the canal in the middle of Hayes. I don't mean look like a tart or a prossie. Just a slightly dowdy young woman. That is just the sort of person that people don't notice."

I paused for a few seconds.

“How about it eh?”

There was still no reaction.

“I’ll even spring for a hotel room for tonight. There will be plenty of hot water.”

“One room?”

“Each.”

Slowly she began to smile.

"Perhaps you aren't like all the rest. People promise the earth but there is only want one thing that they want at the end. of the day"

“I’m not like that at all.”

“That’s what they all say.”

I sighed.

“Then let me prove it to you tonight?”

“I don’t do blow jobs!”

“So, you have said and the last thing I am looking for is any form of sexual contact.”

Her look said to me ‘prove it’.

I stood up.
“This sitting around talking won’t get us to Tesco’s let alone to the Hotel at a decent time.”

I left her sitting in the small cabin and went up on deck. After releasing the mooring, I climbed back on board and started the engine. We were underway again.


After about ten minutes, Melody poked her head out of the cabin. I moved to one side and she came up to join me.

“Where are we?”

“Look to your left and up.”
“That’s the North Circular Road. We are just over an hour from Hayes at this rate.”

“We were going faster before?”

“We were but that was strictly for emergencies. We are limited to four miles an hour on the canal. A bit faster on some rivers like parts of the Thames.”

Melody sighed. Her stomach rumbled.

“When was the last time you had a decent meal?”

“Two or three days ago. Sausage and Chips from a mobile van.”

“Why don’t you go below and fix us both a cheese sandwich. There is bread in the cupboard next to the kettle and cheese in the fridge. There is some pickle there as well. That should tide us over until later.”

Melody didn’t move.

“Why? Why are you doing this?”

I smiled.
“What? Being nice to someone in need?”

“Yeah. Why?”

I resisted shrugging my shoulders.

“I guess that it is because I could have done with someone helping me when I was your age. I didn’t and I left home much like you. Ten years later, here I am, a wanderer with no fixed abode but in general I’m pretty happy. Happy to be alive.”

I let out a small laugh.
"Now it is my chance to help someone in need. I shudder to think what that gang would have done to you had the gotten hold of you. They didn't and it is time for you to get your life together if you want to that is? If you don't and want to head off on your own again, just say the word and I'll stop. Or you can wait until you have some clothes and a full stomach and then disappear or, you can come with me until you finally decide what it is that you want to do with your life. If that is going back on the streets then fine.”

Melody just shrugged her shoulders.

“Give it a try. There will be some hard work. Locks are a fact of life to us when we are on the move. The advantage is that every few weeks, I move on apart from Easter.”

“What happens at Easter?”

I sighed.

“Easter is when I’m summoned to my Father’s home. He’ll rant and rave at me and how I’ve wasted my life when I could be more like my brother David who is running the family firm. To be honest, the prospect of being tied to a desk is one of the main reasons why I left home a week after my eighteenth birthday."

“If it is that bad why do you go?”

“A bit of masochism I suppose. I love seeing him rant and try to get me to stop being a wastrel. Besides, the whole thing just makes me appreciate my life such as it is, is even more worth living. Call it a reality check if you like. Maybe one day, I'll just say yes and give up this life but at the moment I'm pretty happy with my lot and see no reason to change one little bit.”

Melody disappeared below and soon returned with a cheese sandwich for each of us. The bread was doorstep sized but it didn’t matter very much. I’d get some more bread very soon. She’d just cut the bread and put large bits of cheese between them.

“Oh well…” I thought.
“She has a lot to learn but we all had to start somewhere.”

Melody wolfed the sandwich down. On the other hand, I nibbled at mine. She'd finished hers before I had got even halfway through mine. I handed what was left to her.

She smiled, nodded her head and took it.

“Another brew I think?” I suggested when she’d finished eating.

This time she responded with a bigger smile before disappearing below. Perhaps she was starting to trust me just a little.


Melody didn’t say much for the rest of our journey to Hayes. It was clear that she was deep in thought but was very much keeping them to herself. I tried to put myself in her place. I’d have bitten the hand off someone like me if they’d have helped me like I was trying to help her but I wasn’t her and she was right to tread softly especially if the bruises on her wrists were anything to go by. Someone had been a bit rough with her in recent days.

‘Memo to self. Don’t mention the bruises!’. There were fresh ones on both her arms. I’d seen them despite her attempts to conceal them.


I moored Roxy close to the Supermarket and after getting Melody to at least wash her face and hand and run a brush through her hair, we set off towards the store.

“Take a trolley for yourself,” I suggested as we walked towards the building.

“I don’t have any money?”

I smiled.
“I’ll pay for whatever you get. Don’t forget to include a bag of some sort to put your things in.”

“Aren’t you afraid that I’ll do a runner the first chance I get?”

I shrugged my shoulders.
“That’s a risk I’m willing to take. Someone very much like me showed faith in me when I wasn’t much older than you. He took a chance just like I’m doing right now and it worked out ok. If you quit then that’s a risk I’m willing to take. It is all down to what you feel is best for you.”

Melody didn’t say anything but I saw a slight nod of the head.

“Shall we go in?”

“Ok,” replied Melody quietly.

As we pushed our trolley’s into the store, I said,
“Get yourself a coat. What you have on is nowhere near good enough for this sort of weather. If it is waterproof then that’s even better.”

“Are you sure? It will not be cheap?”

“Plastic pays the bills on days like today so don’t worry about the cost. Get what you need.”

As Melody headed towards the clothing section of the store, I wondered if I should have added, ‘but don’t go overboard’ but it was too late for that. Instead, I concentrated on not forgetting what groceries I needed and remembering that I was not shopping for one for the time being.

I’d found everything I needed after a little under half an hour so I went in search of Melody.

I found her in the lingerie section. She was holding a nightdress as if it was the last one on the planet. I saw that her eyes were red. The redness around her eyes told me that she'd been crying. I could not decide if they were tears of joy or sadness.

“That will look good on you,” I said quietly.

Melody almost jumped out of her skin.

“Sorry,” I said.

"That's all right. It is a bit overwhelming… All this choice. I wondered what this day would feel like and nothing could have prepared me for what it really is like to live as a woman."

I was about to say something but stopped myself just in time.

"It looks like you are going to be for some time. I'll go and pay for these groceries and then I'll be back to help… if you want me to that is. I have some frozen items that need to be put away sooner rather than later."

Melody didn’t answer but I saw the signs of concern on her face.

“Don’t worry. I’m not going to do a runner. I can’t go very fast in Roxy now can I eh?”

It took her a second or so to realise what I’d said. Then she smiled.

[to be continued]
[Authors Note]
The term 'Cut' is the name for a canal. It was coined by the navvies who literally 'cut' their way through the countryside to build the canals across the UK in the 18th and 19th Centuries.

up
336 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Life on 'The Cut'.

Canal life is an excellent experience. I spent several long summer holidays with my wife when on leave from the sea. She always laughed when she observed I had changed salt water for fresh but canals are very picturesque places.

bev_1.jpg

Very curions to see where

Rose's picture

Very curions to see where this leads.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Great start.

Loving the situational vistas coming to mind as you talk of narrow boats and life as they travel the canals. A really nice change of scenery here. As a live-aboard myself, life and pace aboard are very different and different rules govern relationships between like-minded boaters and with life ashore in general.

“Ray’s” kindness is a great reminder to us. I am on watch for the next chapter.

Almost Forgotten

joannebarbarella's picture

England has an extensive network of canals which was as much an integral part of the industrial revolution as the railways, but these days they are more or less surplus to the transport of goods and are mainly used by fringe dwellers and tourists, so Melody was extremely lucky that a boat happened to be passing by at just the exact moment to save her life.

Nice start Samantha.

Nice start

crash's picture

This is a nice start. You've captured two of my fantasies: Cross dressing and canal narrow boating. I'm looking forward to the next segments.

I have just a bit of confusion over canal boat details. The beginning talks about the current in the Thames but the rescue appears to be on the Padington arm heading to the Grand Union canal. Canals don't have much current. The locks tend to regulate it. You did pick a convenient spot for the rescue. There are no locks at all for quite a way along that segment.

My best girl at bible camp when I was a kid was named Melody. Just saying.

Your friend
Crash

Good observations

Roxy is indeed heading along the Paddington arm of the GUC. In the next part, she'll make the trip down to the Thames at Brentford.
The choice was either go this way or down to the Thames in the City and fight the tides and currents all the way to Oxford. Going this way avoids a lot of the tidal part of the journey. Brentford to Teddington (where the tidal part of the river ends) is not that far.
However, the current in the Thames can be severe. I took part in the Devizes to Westminster canoe race a long time ago. The route runs along the Kennet and Avon canal all the way to Reading where we get into the Thames. The currents can take you to places that you really don't want to go. I remember watching in horror as a tired competitor could not get out of the current and went over the weir at Boulters Lock (Maidenhead). Luckily, he got away with just a smashed up canoe. We portaged around these wires for good reason. If the river is in flood then good luck going upstream.
Samantha

Canals

Glenda98's picture

Fun to read a narrowboat story. I like the Oxford canal but the catch is that you can’t turn a 58 foot boat around when you reach Oxford, the winding hole is too small, at least it was in the 90’s. Reversing a narrowboat isn’t easy!

Glenda Ericsson

I shall have to watch out

as it seems that there are some here with more knowledge than me. :) :)
Well done for bringing up the subject of the winding hole. The story uses one in a later part as an alternative to reversing which as you say isn't that easy.
Samantha

Interesting all around...

several views of life that one doesn't generally get to read about: to what extent do we get to choose who crosses our path? The big surprise for Melody is that anyone would allow her into their life without a catch or wanting something. You're on the Roxy, going against the current and someone is there. The other is the one who got pissed on, but it's hard to trust...

One is along for the ride, ready to cut and run if needed.

Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Melody sounds like

Wendy Jean's picture

she was due a break.

Good start to a promising story

I do like the start to this story but which way will it develop? Two storylines in one? Ray's story deserves the telling every bit as much as Melody's. Why is Ray living under an assumed name and is it relevant to the rest of the story?

There is a lot of potential ways this can go and we will find out more about Melody as the story develops. I look forward to reading the rest of it.

Will

A world apart

Spending time on the canals takes you to a different world. The slow pace is addictive, and even though the modern world is still screaming by around you, you become completely unaware of it. Even when you are proceeding under busy road bridges. I can't think of a better place to explore one's preferred gender.
Melody is so lucky to have Ray rescue her. You have included many themes in the story so far. From hate and aggressive persecution with the current knife problem included, to random acts of kindness, and Melody's skeptical suspicions that someone is being kind.
A nice start to your story, and there is a hint that there are two people's stories to be told in later chapters. I am looking forward to reading more.

Thanks for the comments on this part

I have to hope that the rest of the story lives up to the expectations that I've set.
Samantha

Terrific start

Robertlouis's picture

Great premise and setting Samantha

And another tantalising reveal about your own amazing past!

Three stories here - Ray’s, Melody’s, and their journey together. It’s intriguing.

Rob.

☠️

I came close to living on a boat.

It was a small Sailboat of 26 feet. The largest issue was no head room. At the time, it was just after the Doctor had wanted to put Herrington rods in my back.

Trust

Jamie Lee's picture

Paying it forward can be difficult if someone like Melody has been put through the wringer. And Ray seems to understand this, as he isn't pushing Melody for answers.

Being given a hand, without asking for sexual payment, is hard for Melody to understand after all of her past experiences. Ray is unlike anyone she has previously met, willing to help her but also letting her decide whether to stay or leave. And, trusting her when she went shopping for items she needs.

Something says Melody is going to learn about life on the cut firsthand, while she helps Ray reach the drydock.

Others have feelings too.