The life of Riley part 13 - Threats resolved?

Printer-friendly version

I almost fell down the stairs because Mary was going so fast while holding my hand very strongly. When all four of us made it downstairs we checked everywhere to see what happened. Shortly after all the lights were turned on, we discovered the reason for the rude wake up call.

It seemed like a brick was thrown into one of our living room windows. Mary and I looked at each other in disbelief. We were simply shocked. I had no idea what to do or how to react. I looked at mom and dad who were visibly upset but also seemed kind of calm at the same time. They were each on their phone talking almost calmly using low voices. I was not able to understand what they were talking about.  I could not comprehend that.

"Mary, did you notice that our parents almost seem calm?" I asked my big sister.

"Yes. Actually I did notice that. It is kind of weird." Mary remarked.

"Agreed. I am so nervous and scared. Obviously, this was another threat. A very loud threat."

"True. It is super scary." Mary pointed out while giving me a hug.

After I calmed down a bit I approached mom and asked her what her thoughts were on the situation we were  in. She gave me a big hug and told me that her and dad have it under control.

"What do you mean, you have it under control? This whole thing just happened not even ten minutes ago." I said, feeling  super anxious.

"Yeah, how can you possibly have the situation under control? Whoever did this might try to hurt us." Mary told my mom while bursting into tears and holding on to my hips.

"I understand. Please trust us. We have it under control. Please go to one of your rooms and wait for us there. Maybe take some drinks and snacks with you. After you calmed down a bit, I need you each to take a shower and get dressed. Your dad and I will call you when you can come downstairs again." mom told us with a firm voice.

Mary and I were both perplexed. We nodded and did what we were told to do. We decided to go and wait in Mary's room. We didn't talk at first because we were still too shocked. I simply could not comprehend this. Soon we noticed red and blue lights flashing. Looking through the window, Mary and I saw a lot of police cars pulling up in front of our house and in our drive way. 

"What should we do?" I asked my sister feeling defeated.

"I don't know, babe. I simply don't know." Mary said softly while pulling me gently towards her.

We both decided to get our showers and get dressed and simply wait for mom and dad. We could hear a lot of talking from downstairs in rather hushed voices. I expected a lot of hectic talking and commotion but it seemed almost calm. I simply did not understand that. I don't like the idea of panicking either but this was....almost outrageous.

After about another half hour, mom and dad said we could come down again. Most of the police cars were gone.

"The police is done here. They are collecting the last bits and pieces of evidence. We have to go down to the police station to give them statements. The  last few days your mom and I have been in close contact with Detective Michaels.We will see him soon. Let's go, girls!" dad said seeming to have it all under control. Mary and I looked at each other in disbelief and got in the car.

The car ride to the police station was short and quiet. Mary and I didn't dare to speak up. After five minutes, we arrived and got out of the car immediately. Once we entered the building, we were lead right to Detective Michaels' office. The detective  greeted us and told us to get comfortable. He addressed Mary and me right away.

"You must be Riley?" he said looking at me while smiling.

I nodded.

"And you are her sister, Mary, right?" the detective said while still smiling.

Mary nodded as well.

"Your mom and dad already told us what happened. We collected all kinds of evidence. I am assuming you haven't seen the front wall of your house below the broken window yet since the sun is rising only now?" Detective Michaels asked us.

We both shook our heads.

"The officers who were still at the crime scene took a picture which they texted me minutes ago. Take a look." the Detective said while showing us his phone.

Mary and I leaned over to see it better.

"Freaks, get out!" was written in big bold red letters under and next to our broken living room window.

Mary and I were simply speechless.

"Now, here is the good news. We believe we already caught the suspects. I am sure you might be wondering how we did this this fast?!"

Mary and I nodded again slowly.

"Your mom and dad called us last night when you thought you were being watched at the Christmas market, Riley. Of course, we were still investigating the first threat you received a while ago. We took this very seriously. Anyways, our little town doesn't have a lot of crime so we had some people working on the case. We talked to your school several times as well. We talked to the principal, Mr. Selinsky, and he told us about the incidence at school between you and a football player. Is that correct, Riley?" Detective Michaels asked me.

I could only nod again.

"The principal told us that you attacked the football player. To be honest, I found that a little hard to believe. So we got in touch with your parents again and they told us what really happened. He harassed you. You simply defended yourself. Is that right, Riley?" he wanted to know.

I nodded.

"Well done! Don't let anybody treat you this way. We also spoke to your girlfriend Sammy. She actually called us after your encounter with the young man who plays football and expressed her concern. Sammy knew about the already ongoing investigation regarding the threat your received via that letter. We highly appreciated her call. So, we decided to keep an eye on your house which we also spoke to your parents about. Again, they were very appreciative. Going back to yesterday after your parents called us, I decided to have a normal patrol car swing by your house every once in a while." the Detective let us know.

I was listening in awe.

"Guess what? This morning, we got "lucky". Of course, we don't want anything to happen to your family or house, but we could observe how two suspects were riding on bikes wearing dark jackets. Our undercover car discovered them first and alarmed some of the patrol cars. Nothing illegal happened yet but it was suspicious of course. We kept observing and bingo! The suspects had flashlights which one of them was holding towards the wall on your house. The other suspect sprayed the "lovely" message I already showed you on that wall and then the other suspect took a brick out of a backpack and threw it into your window. Both of them took off immediately. The rest is history. We let them ride along for a minute but then they were arrested."

I could not believe what I was hearing.

"Who were they? Do I know them? Was it Michelle?" I wanted to know.

"Since the investigation is still going on, I can't say that yet. I can tell you that we found a spray bottle and a flashlight in their backpack which will be enough evidence. Obviously, the officers who witnessed this entire event count as well." Detective Michaels let us know.

"What should I do now?"

"My suggestion is that you should get something to eat and some rest. We will call you as soon as the investigation is over. Your mom and dad still have to sign some statements before you leave. You are also going to need that for insurance purposes so that this awful message can be removed and the window can be repaired. Let me give you my card. Please call me anytime you need something, okay Riley?" he asked me.

"I will, I will."

"Great. From what I have heard, you are an incredible young lady. And you have an incredible and very caring family and girlfriend. You might want to give all of them an extra hug." the Detective suggested.

I nodded and smiled again. We parted shortly after that. Mom and dad signed those statements and received some paperwork for the insurance. Dad suggested to get breakfast at a diner. Nobody objected. Mary gave me a ton of hugs on the way to the diner. We settled in and started talking.

"I can't thank you all enough for taking such good care of me. I can't believe all of the things that happened in such a short time and that right before Christmas. Once we are home again I need to call Sammy and tell her everything that happened and especially thank her for everything she has done for me." I said getting a bit teary eyed.

"Of course, babe. We will always take good care of you. I am not sure how I feel about going back to the house yet. I think the window needs to be fixed as soon as possible. I can imagine it will be pretty cold in there until it is fixed." Mary added to the conversation.

"Yes, that is true. I need to find a company who can at least temporarily fix it. I will work on that right after we are done with breakfast. Meanwhile, I think it might be a good idea to not sleep at home tonight. Maybe you can kindly ask your friends to stay overnight. I am sure they are more than willing to accommodate you. Of course, we will make it up to them." dad told us.

"I think that is a good idea. Mary, you could ask Alyssa and Riley, you could ask Sammy. What do you think?" mom asked us.

Mary and I both nodded. After breakfast we texted and called our friends. Both friends and their respective parents agreed. I could not wait to tell Sammy everything and of course to give her an extra hug and kiss. Our parents took us back to the house where we packed our bags with some clothes and essentials. Sammy's mom was able to pick Mary and me up. She would drop Mary off at Alyssa's while on the way back to Sammy's house. When we dropped off Mary we agreed all to meet for dinner around 6 at Enrico's.

Once we arrived at Sammy's, my girlfriend and I decided to go up to her room and discuss today's events.

"I am still frazzled. I can't believe this happened." I said while holding hands with Sammy.

"I know. I am glad though that they seem to have arrested the right suspects." Sammy pointed out.

"True. Sammy I can't thank you enough for being so caring. Thanks for making that phone call and talking to Detective Michaels."

"Of course, sweetie. I care a lot about you. I love you!"

"I love you too!" I said while giving my girlfriend a big hug and a kiss.

"What should we do now?" Sammy wanted to know.

"Beats me."

"Well, maybe you want to help me clean up my room? I was actually thinking about organizing my closet." Samantha said while giving me a cute smile.

"Deal!"

Sammy and I cleaned and picked up her room and worked on her closet for several hours. Whenever we took a break, I texted with Mary and Alyssa and also with mom and dad. My parents told me that they found a company to temporarily fix the window. Mom also told me that they were able to briefly speak to the principal at Cherry Blossom Hill who had a few answers for my questions. He said I can use the girl's bathroom or one of the many family bathrooms they have if I wanted more privacy. He also said that we can start the admission process right after Christmas. The students' were still on break but their offices will be occupied. Those were good news.

Six o'clock soon arrived and we all met at Enrico's for dinner. Mary and Alyssa, mom and dad, Sammy and I all had a good time despite the horrible occurrence from this morning which seemed ages away. Dad told us that the window won't be fixed until after Christmas. Mom also talked a little bit about my new school.

"Honey, your new school has a special request." mom announced.

We all looked at each other puzzled.

"What kind of request?" I wanted to know.

"It looks like you and Mary made quite an impression with your basketball game. If you are admitted they would like you to bring your big sister with you." mom said as it would be the most logical thing in the world.

"Mom, how is that going to work? Mary has to go back to College on January 10." I said feeling confused.

"That would not be a problem." mom mentioned in a matter of fact kind of way.

Mary and I looked at each other in disbelief.

up
88 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Book 'em, Dano!

laika's picture

I always love it when justice prevails, not so much for the punishment element (while punishment's better than them getting away scott-free I'd rather these small-time terrorists come to actually understand that what they did was wrong + how dumb their bigoted attitude was...) so much as that they won't be harrassing Riley or her family anytime soon, and they can all rest easier now. Great chapter and I'm looking forward to seeing how she'll do at her new school after Christmas. I'll bet she really blossoms!
~Luv, Ronni

Cliffhanger?

You had to do that, I have no fingernails left now! I can't begin to figure out what their mom has planned. You beast, you are going to make me wait how long?

Amateurs usually screw up

Jamie Lee's picture

It was keen of Sammy to contact the detective and clue him in on what Riley did to protect herself. And who the boy was Riley took down.

The previous threat keyed the police to take the threats seriously, leading to the capture of the idiots who painted the house and broke the window.

If the same idiots that did the latest job also sent the letter, they have a double whammy against. And if one of the idiots was Michelle, his football playing days are over. And no principal or VP or counselor will get him out of his current mess.

Others have feelings too.