A Gayle Blows Up Part 39

Printer-friendly version

Part 39

That was something I had not seen coming but, on reflection, it made perfect sense. Anu did not need to prove again that he was a great singer and proving that he was also a great actor to those who panned Bollywood films as just fluff would be irresistible.

Mr Singh then deferred to Ajay who stood up and gave us a brief idea of how he wanted to film the two projects. He wanted to get the first in the can as it was able to be shot in a studio with the right sets. Much of the outside work would be in the night and almost any street would be good as background. The second film, he said, would be mainly on location, somewhere up towards the border, so it had a sense of realism. He had expanded the first part of the script to give the commanding officer a couple of good scenes and he had a few more ideas on the final scene that made me wonder why I had not thought of it myself. But, there again, I am not an experienced director.

The conductor was in on the ground floor but his work would be needed once the initial cut had been made so he had the visuals to work with. He did suggest that the last scene cried out for ‘The Lark Ascending’ and I agreed because it immediately gelled with the scene I already had in my mind. I suggested the use of a drone and that brought smiles from some of the others as they saw the possibilities. I think that everyone knew that this would be the more powerful statements when it came to the screen, even if I did like the detective one better.

The weekend was a lot of talking, taking notes and making changes. Saturday saw Anu, Gaurav, Jill, Joyce and me talking to the detective writer, going through the script and suggesting where he could add a few scenes or detract one or two. We decided that the working name would be ‘The Blue Shorts’ and he needed to make revisions so that every scene up to the big reveal would show them worn to look like a blue Vee. He promised Anu that he would work on packing his part a bit more. Over lunch I took him aside and told him that Anu would often spout a seemingly ancient saying which usually meant nothing and he had a grin on his face as he took it in. The film guys spent their time with the other writer.

On Sunday our positions were reversed and we went through the script of the other film. I could see that his copy already had copious notes already on it and I expected that the film guys had noted the changes to the detective film. On Sunday night we had a proper, dress up, dinner with all the clothing supplied by our host, no doubt supplied by the hotel stores. It was a very jovial affair and the two writers looked like they had won the lottery already.

After the meal I found the song writer, who had been a bit quiet, and we discussed the range of songs for the two movies. The first needed to be cabaret style and very roaring forties, while the second needed to be Pakistani pop. He had written quite a lot of the second but had not done much of the first. He said he would listen to music of the era and write some songs that would fit. That day both teams decided that we should make both films in English and Hindi but to actually film them as separate takes to ensure reality.

Monday morning we had breakfast together and, one by one, the others took their leave. Sitting at the table we could see helicopters arriving but there was very little sound of them as they flew in. Mr Singh asked us if we would hold on for a while and it eventually came to a point where it was just the two of us, Sabhya, Jill and Joyce and Mr and Mrs Singh sitting in the lounge watching Ajays’ helicopter heading south. Mr Singh said “Just over a year ago I gave you and Anu the responsibility to make the show happen and the tour work. I must say that I was astounded that you got to the end of it without a single dancer, musician or even roadie leaving or getting sick. The team that you had was something to cherish.”

“Today I am tasking the four of you with getting these films onto the big screen and in a shape that commands respect. They both have powerful stories to tell and I must admit that a year ago I would not have had the nerve to approve them. I now realise that to achieve greatness you have to take chances.” He looked at Jill and Joyce and said “I have been very impressed with the level of dedication and skill you brought to the tour last year. I believe that you both will be excellent in the jobs I will now give you. Please tell me if you do not think you can do it. Jill, I want you to be the Executive Producer of the detective movie. You will report directly to me. Joyce, you will be Executive Producer of the other movie, again reporting directly to me. That reporting will only be required if you hit a snag you cannot overcome. Do you agree?”

They both said it would be an honour. He then turned to us and said “Gayle, you are the main character in the detective film and will be in more than half of the scenes so I want you to take on overall control, alongside Ajay, to bring it to completion. Gaurav; most of the second film is about you and your compulsion so I want you to take a similar position for that one. If you both agree I will send a memo to everyone to instruct them of your responsibilities, are you in agreement?” I could see Gaurav have a little fight with himself and then draw himself up and say “Yes, I’m in” in a strong voice. We girls added our own agreement and we were then able to hug the Singhs. Before we left the room Mr Singh said “Jill and Joyce, I believe that both of your boyfriends have skills that they could bring to the production. Feel free to employ them.”

In our room I hugged Gaurav and told him I was proud of him and that I realised that the decision must have been hard. He told me that he thought of everything that he had achieved already since he first came to India and had realised that he did not need to fear what people said any more. “Before I met you I was just an extension of my father and was forced to mirror him in everything I did. I was not happy and I was frustrated but could not extract myself from the family business until I was replaced by Grette and Guntaj. I have totally loved becoming a singing star and doing so alongside my wife has been a double bonus. These films will be more hard work but there will be a lot of others adding their skills so we will not be alone. It will be odd doing straight acting with Anu but I can see that he really does want to be a serious actor and I think we will all have fun along the way.”

Back in Mumbai we all went to our homes and Gaurav rang his family to tell them the news. After he had spoken to his parents he passed the phone to me and said “Aganee wants to speak to you.” I took the phone and, after our hello’s she said “Anu has sent me a text asking if I could come back to India to help out with the Hindi versions of your films. Can I stay with you while I am there?” I told her that it was no trouble and we hung up.

I then texted Jill and Joyce to come up to our apartment, and bring their partners. When they joined us I put on a kettle and we sat in the kitchen to have our drinks. I said “This may be the way we work through the next year, discussing things around a table. We are going to have to relocate to Delhi to be close to the studio so we had better start as we mean to go on.” Jill and Joyce said that they would organise somewhere we could use as headquarters so we left them to it. Their partners had been told that they were now on the payroll and were much happier they were not living off the girls. One had been a baker and would now work with our catering crew, while the other had been a handyman with a real estate firm that concentrated on rentals so would join our set builders.

Over the next two weeks we had located a big house that would be useful as our headquarters as it had once been a hotel. The girls took their partners and went there to make it suitable for the rest of us. It was big enough to house the core of the film crew and a couple of coaches were bought and drivers employed. By the time that Gaurav and I had put our luggage on a truck and organised a sub-lease of the three apartments furnished, our rooms in Delhi were ready for us. With just a single case and carry-on bags, we flew to Delhi to start the next phase of our life together.

When we were picked up at the airport we found that Jill had organised a mini-bus for small groups as well. It was only branded with the Studio name on the side so was almost anonymous. The house was magnificent and our rooms doubly so. Joyce explained that they were befitting the stars of the movie and we had a big bedroom, a lounge, our own kitchen and two bathrooms. She said that it had been the previous executive suite but they had repainted it for us as she thought all of the gold had been a bit over the top. The gold plated taps and door-knobs remained, though.

Ajay was already settled in and we found him at the studio putting the finishing touches to the initial plans. He had commandeered two sound stages and the first was having the night club set being made, along with the set that showed the detectives rooms at home so that the scenes of him singing could be shot. The other sound stage already had a military commanders’ office being built as well as a mock bakery shop. While we were there we were offered some small pastries which were delicious. “I don’t know where you found him” said Ajay as he munched happily “but the new baker is fantastic.”

Marianne G 2021

up
77 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos