The Black Sword. chapter- 12

Printer-friendly version
The Black Sword.

Down through history there has been many stories of heroes and the weapons of power. Thor with his Warhammer Mjölnir, the sword of Aries and Mars, Attila the Hun’s sword, and King Author’s Excalibur. These are but a few legends. Yet for every one of these legends there are two legendary weapons lost to time. Among those lost weapons are the few whose power comes with a cost. They are the cursed weapons of power. Each curse is unique to the weapon. The Black sword is but one such weapon of great power. This is the story of the weapon and its newest welder.


Chapter 12
City of Ancients, Angelward
Throne room of Finnea Iarceran, Queen of Aos Sídhe Spring Court
Finnea smiled down at her newest human pet as the boy danced to the music of Hanshell. She knew that she would keep this one for a while at least two or three centuries. Before returning it to the other side of the Misty. Though she would make a few modifications to the human. He was all hard angles and rough edges. He would need to be softer and rounder. She liked for her pets to be on the effeminate side.

When the doors to her throne room were thrown open disrupting the music and her pet’s dancing Finnea fought to control her anger. She knew that her guards won’t let just anyone disturb her during her play time. Looking up at the door she saw stunned to see one of her fastest Rangers being half carried, half dragged before her. The sight of half dead young man chilled her anger faster than the frozen north wide.

“What news do you bring Elgar?” She demanded.

“My Queen it’s the Promise stones. Four of the outer five have begun to shine with an unearthly light.” The Ranger gasped between breaths.

“Which four Elgar? I most know which four?” Finnea demanded as she hurried down from her throne to grab the man by his leather vest.

“The stones for Merlin the Wise, Morgana the Emerald Queen of the Fay, Modredus the Mage, and the Dragonkin Emperor.” Elgar gasped before dying from exhaustion in her hands.

“What else Elgar? Speak to me Elgar!” Finnea screamed as she shook the Ranger in her hands. When he did move the Queen of the Summer Court looked to the Captain of her personal Guard. “Saddle my horse and assemble my escort. I ride for the Crystal Caves of Promises.”

“At once my Queen.” the Captain said as he came to attention then looked down at the dead Ranger. “What of Elgar my Queen? He was loyal Ranger.”

“Give him a hero’s Captain. If he has a spouse send them two-hundred gold coins. If he has children move the family into Palace Quarters. His sons are to be trained as Rangers. His daughters as Ladies in Waiting.” Finnea ordered the man as she looked down at the dead man at her feet. “If he has no one. Give the gold to the Foundlings.”

“As you command my Queen.” The Captain said as he turned to carry out her orders. In the fifty years he had been the Captain of the Queen’s Guard he had never seen her unsettled about news from the crystal caves.

While the Captain was carrying out his orders Queen Finnea rush to her personal chambers to change. Her personal chamber slaves jumped to their feet as she entered the room. “Bring me my riding leathers, boots, and cloak. Be quick about slaves. I most ride within the next half of an hour.”

Twenty minutes later the Queen stepped through the doors of the Royal stable. There she found her horse saddled and her escort mounted. Thirty minutes later she and her escort were passing through the eastern gate of Angelward. She was but seconds ahead of rival Queen Vaeri of the Summer Court.

Privet Chambers of Vaeri Xilhana, Queen of Aos Sídhe Summer Court
At six-hundred and sixty-three years old Vaeri Xilhana was the oldest Aos Sídhe ruling Queen. She was also the current Grand Queen. Unlike her fellow Queens Vaeri had long outgrown her need for pets. Instead, she preferred to entertain herself with more cerebral pursuits. Her current leisure time activity was painting. Her guards knew not to disturb their Queen during these time unless there was a national emergency.

When the doors to her privet chambers slammed open and were followed by a half dead Ranger screaming she knew it was bad. “MY QUEEN! I BRING DIRE NEWS FROM THE CRYSTAL CAVES OF PROMISE!”

“Speak.” Was all she said as she continued to paint.

“My Queen the stones for Merlin the Wise, Morgana the Emerald Queen of the Fay, Modredus the Mage, and the Dragonkin Emperor have begun to glow.” The Ranger panted as he knelt behind her. When she didn’t move the young man thought she had died at hearing this news.

“Our you sure, Ranger Yar?” Varie asked without turning. She just held still as the statue she was painting.

“I saw them with my own eyes, my Queen. Those four stone now shine with an unearthly light. As if they were possessed with the spirits of their makers.” The Ranger gasped out in pain as he grabbed his chest. The last sight he in this earthly world was of his Queen’s face as she held his head in her lap.

“Be at peace Ranger Yar of the Great Ash. Sleep well in the arms of Gadhelyn.” Varie whispered as she closed his eyes. Taking a deep breath to both calm her nerves and control her fear Varie called out to her personal guards.

“Saddle my horse and assemble my escort! I ride in one half hour!” She then called for her personal maids. “Hanna, Racheal, Stella attended to me!”

“At once my queen!” Came the shouted reply. When the maids appeared in her rooms Varie gave them their orders.

“Racheal, Stella, bring me my riding leathers, boots, and cloak. Please be quick about it. I must ride within the next half of an hour.” She ordered the young human girls as she began to undress herself. “Hanna find Lord Thornison. Tell him to arrange for Ranger Yar’s funeral. Full military and courtly honors. Yar is to have a hero’s funeral. After that go to Lady Meriel Kellee in the Royal treasury. Tell her that she is to send one-hundred gold pieces to the Bifrost Orphanage in Yar’s name.”

A half hour later she was riding at the head of her escort. She was but a few seconds behind her fellow and junior queen of Angelward as she passed through the eastern gate.

City of Mist, Frosthorn
Privet courtyard of Sumina Sarwarin, Queen of Aos Sídhe Fall Court.
Sumina Sarwarin enjoyed her time alone in her privet courtyard. As the second oldest of the Aos Sídhe Queens she had worked hard to increase her standing with the other Queens. She ruled over her half of Frosthorn with an iron fist. She showed no mercy to the criminals that were brought before her. One of her favorite punishments was from the Ruins Of Erotic Transmutations. In this garden she was surrounded by the most erotic and twisted displays of her power. As she neared the center of the garden Sumina smiled in cruelty. There before her chained to the stone pathway knelt her newest victim.

“Dame Terranova you were charged with guarding the Mist Mountains against human intrusion. You failed in your duties. If your squires were still alive they would be changed next you. Because they are dead, the human escaped, and you live. You shall suffer their punishments as well.” Sumina sneered as she held out her glowing hands. With a twisted smile and glint of glee in her eyes Sumina unleashed her spell. “For each squire’s death you shall suffer for one-thousand year in sexual torment.”

As her newest victim silently screamed in both pain and unending sexual release. Sumina turned away and head back towards the entrance. She would return in three days. She knew that the former knight wouldn’t last more than two days. Like the other victims of Erotic Bronzing. The former knight would be placed on a pedestal once she had been turned into a living statue. As she neared the gate to her privet garden one of her most loyal Rangers fell to ground just feet from the gate. Sumina knew the young man was dead before ever reached him. Whatever message he carried didn’t matter. She knew that the message could only concern the Crystal Caves of Promises.

“Captain of the guard!” She yelled out as she walked pass the body of her Ranger. When the Captain of her guard appeared, she gave him her orders. “Have my horse saddled and assemble an escort. Be ready to ride for the Crystal of Promises in three quarters of an hour.”

“At once my queen.” The man answered with a bow and ran to carry out her orders. While her Captain was doing that she went to her privet quarters. The second she entered the room her slaves jumped to their feet and pulled at their chains to get to her.

“Bring me my riding leathers, boots, and cloak slaves. Be quick about it or you’ll spend a night in the garden’s iron maiden.” Sumina snarled. Her slaves knew that this was on idle threat and hurriedly changed their Mistress. Even the slaves in the lowest levels had heard the tales of what happens in the Queen’s privet garden when the sunsets and the moon rises.

When their Mistress left their presence the four slaves when to the window that overlooks the garden. While the Queen rode through the western gate of Frosthorn the sun was already setting and the moon just beginning to rise. Within moments of the moon clearing the horizon the bronze statues came to life. As one the slaves looked to the female slave that had been placed in the garden’s iron maiden two days ago.

They watched as the first of the statues reached her spread eagle naked body. This statue was a male. The slaves sighed as the night long rape of the woman began once more. They could turn away from the sight but not the screams. If the woman the was lucky she would die this night. If she survived she would join the other bronze statues in the morning. The castle guards told a tale of the two oldest statues in the garden. They say that one of them was once the human lover of the Queen. The other was the woman he had cheated with on Queen. That was over three-hundred years ago. The personal slaves of the Queen knew that the story was truth.

Privet stables of Dalilah Saa Llolth, Queen of Aos Sídhe Winter Court
Queen Dalilah Saa Llolth, youngest and most powerful, of the Aos Sídhe Queens brushed down her horse after her morning ride. This was her one secret guilty pleasure. She enjoyed taking care of the midnight black stallion. His loyalty to her was unquestionable as the stone walls of her castle. All of the palace staff knew to leave their young Queen alone during this time. So, the sounds of metal shod boots announcing the arrival of her personal guards could only mean that there was an emergency. With a heavy sigh she turned towards the Captain of her guard and the Ranger accompanying him.

“What has happened Ranger Logan?” She asked without preamble.

“My Queen four of the Great Promises stones have begun to shine. The Crystal oracle claims that the great prophecies are coming true.” Logan told his Queen as he dropped to one knee. Of the four Rangers placed to stand watch over the Great Promises stones he was the youngest of them. He was also the most fit. He had trained to make seventy-five mile run from the Crystal Caves of Promises from the time he ten. When he wasn’t standing watch at the caves he was running from the castle to the caves and back daily.

“Which four of the stones have begun to glow Logan?” Dalilah asked him.

“The blue Dragon of Merlin the Wise. The green Ice tongue of Morgana the Emerald Queen of the Fay. The purple Tear of Modredus the Mage. The ruby Flame of the Dragonkin Emperor.” Logan told her without looking up.

“Captain assemble an escort. Logan did you see in which order the began to glow?” Dalilah asked as she resaddled her horse.

“That is the strange thing your Majesty. When the stones first started to glow, they would only flicker for but a moment then nothing. It was a random thing jumping from one stone to another in no set order. When they started to shine steadily it was the blue Dragon and green Ice tongue at the same time. Then the purple Tear and finally the ruby Flame.” Logan told her.

“Wait. Did you say that the blue Dragon and green Ice tongue began to glow at the same time?” Dalilah asked him sharply.

“They did your Majesty. Only they do not glow but shine with a light not of this world. One could read the ancient ruins carved in the cave walls by the light they give off.” Logan told her.

“Which of the four shines the brightest?” Dalilah demanded.

“The ruby Flame my Queen.” Logan answered.

“Other than myself have you shared this information with anyone?” Dalilah coldly asked the young Ranger.

“I have told only you my Queen. No one else.” Logan answered honestly. Little knowing that he had just spoken his last words. The blighting flash of Apollo’s Lance ended the young Ranger’s life.

“Stable boy!” Dalilah screamed as she grabbed the reins of her horse and mounted. When the slave appeared, he looked down at the cooling body of the Ranger. “Give that thing to the pigs.”

As she rode over the body Dalilah didn’t care that her escort would have to catchup to her. As she exited the stables Dalilah summoned her cursed sword Shadow Strike. Of all the Aos Sídhe Queens only Dalilah Saa Llolth would lower herself to use a weapon in personal combat. She would use her magic in defense of her castle, but she preferred the feel of gutting a personal opponent with her own strength. Her escort would catch up to her just as she reached the western gate, a full ten minutes before Sumina.

Crystal Caves of Promises, 54miles from Imrryr.
The Other Soul oracle looked down at the cuff locked around her left ankle. She let her eyes fallow the fifty feet chain back to the cave wall. For the first time in almost six-hundred years she was alone in her cave. Despite her power the dhampir was a slave to the Aos Sídhe Queens. A very pampered slave but still a slave. She eat the finest food. Drank the finest of wines laced with the blood of virgins. Dressed in the softest of silk dresses and softest of leather slippers. She lacked for nothing, except her freedom.

Her guards knew not to get too close to the dhampir. Despite her appearance of a preteen girl, she could rip a man to pieces with her bare hands. She was as strong and fast as her father with none of his weaknesses. She could be the perfect killing machine. The only thing that held her in check was the cuff around her ankle and the chain. They were made not from ordinary iron. The chain and cuff were Artificer forged from mithril, obsidian, raw diamonds, steel dragon scale, and moonbeam crystal. Only a Holy sword could release her from her imprisonment.

“Hello Noir. Come to lift my spirits girl?” The oracle asked as she scratched the ears of her only real companion. A little black cat that had been a gift from one the Rangers. Noir jumped from her lap as the girl’s eyes rolled back in her head and she arched her back. After a few seconds the girl slumped back in her chair. With a shacking hand the girl whipped a bloody tear from her check. “I sorry girl Logan won’t be coming back. You better find someplace to hide until I call for you. I don’t think the four Queens like kitties. I know they don’t like me.”

When the cat hissed and ran for the oracles bedroom she knew that the Queens were arriving. When they didn’t enter the cave right away the oracle knew that they were abiding by the treaty. All four Aos Sídhe Queens had to be present to enter her home. That gave her time to think. She had to figure out why the last two promise stones had yet ignite. Looking at the fifth and last outer crystal the oracle snarled.

“Why haven’t you lite damn it? Your Mistress is in Imrryr. Why do you hide from her? Why haven’t you risen from your slumber?” The oracle asked the eight foot tall yellow Dragon’s Eye crystal.

“It’s not yet time my daughter.” The voice came from the massive blue/white crystal in the center. As the oracle sat up straight in her chair as ghostly figure appeared from the crystal. As the figure floated across the floor to stand before the oracle Noir came out of hiding. The little cat jumped to the oracle’s lap and staired up at the ghostly figure. “You have faithfully fulfilled your duties Ambassador Seemsucia of the Shadow Cat Clan.”

“I thank you my Queen.” Noir said clear as day. Much to the surprise of the oracle. Before jumping down off her lamp and growing to the size of a small horse with wings sprouting from her back. “Though it has not been easy to my true form from this one. Her magic is quite powerful.”

“You can talk?!” The girl gasped. Then shook her head. “Wait a minute! You’re Shadow Cat! How were you able to hide that from me?”

“Worry not my daughter. I sent her to you. We do not have much time. The four Queens are gathering outside this cave. When they ask about the Dragon’s Eye tell them this. The White Wolf can still be stopped. They must send their ten finest knights and the four best Rangers from each court to Dreaming Imrryr. No more, no less.” The ghost instructed the girl. Then smiled down at her. “When you finish be sure to have Seemsucia sitting in your lap.”

“But they’ll kill her.” The girl gasped.

“Seemsucia cannot be killed by an Aos Sídhe no matter how powerful. Nor can he be held by Tomorrow’s Chain. Whatever or whoever touches him travels with him through the Shadow Realm.” The ghost told her. “Your freedom is at hand. As was promised in the unspoken prophecies.”

“May I know who you are my Lady?” The oracle asked.

“I am the enchantresses Nimue. One of Oberon’s three Ladies of the Lake and sister of Morgana le Fay.” The ghost Nimue told the girl with a smile.

With that the ghost vanish back into the crystal. The oracle heard the voices of all four Aos Sídhe Queens entering the outer cave. “They’ll be here shortly. Where will you take me from here Noir?”

“To the one person in all of Avalon who can protect you.” The Shadow Cat told her as she shrank back down to the size of a housecat. “Only one person matches her in power, and she is her champion. We go to Avalon and her Emerald Queen Kathrine Pendragon.”

“Slave! Show yourself!” Dalilah showed as she enter the chamber before the other three Queens. When she saw the oracle still chained to the wall Dalilah relaxed. “Why hasn’t the Dragon Eye Crystal begun to glow?”

“The White Wolf can still be stopped, Queen of the Winter Court.” The oracle answered the Queen as she was instructed.

“How and where?” Sumina demanded.

“Each court must send their ten greatest knights and finest Ranger to the Dreaming City. They must keep the White Wolf from her crown. This is the only way Queen of the Fall Court.”

“When must this be done?” Finnea demanded.

“Within the hour Queen of the Spring Court.” The oracle told her as she placed her hand on Noir’s back.

“Will the Dragonkin return?” Vaeri asked the girl with more respect than the other Queens. She knew the true power hidden behind that childlike appearance of the oracle.

“Because of your kindness to me. I will grant you a boon great Queen of the Summer Court.” The oracle told her as she closed her eyes. Then in a voice devoid of emotion gave her last prediction to the gathered Queens. “Gather your army. Fortify your castle. Under the raising moon Dreaming Imrryr shall awaken. Upon black wings of death her warrior queen rides. Vengeance shall be theirs with the rising of the Hunter’s Moon.”

All four Queens stepped back in both surprise and fear. Never before had their oracle dared to threaten one of them. Yet the girl had just prophesied not only the return of the Melnibonéans but the deaths of their kingdoms. Then to their further amazement the oracle was swallowed in shadows and vanished. The first to react was Dalilah. She turned towards the Dragon’s Eye crystal and unleashed her most powerful spell. The spell never even touched the surface of the crystal. It dissipated ten feet from the Dragon’s Eye crystal.

“Save you power girl! You’ll need it in ten days.” Finnea told her coldly. Then turned to the Captain of her guard. “Captain ride back to Angelward. Gather our ten bravest knights and drag Caspien out of whatever whorehouse he’s in. Sober them and ride for Imrryr. Your mission is simple. Find and kill the White Wolf before they can find their crown.”

“Let her waste her magic Finnea. If we’re lucky and bless by Queen Tatiana the White Wolf will only unleash her vengeful rage on the Frosthorn Courts. Not that we don’t deserve their rightful vengeance.” Vaeri advised her fellow Aos Sídhe Queen. Then looked towards the empty chair and Tomorrow’s Chain. “Hopefully our pet dhampir does not return at the side of Avalon’s Emerald Queen.”

“What does that mean Vaeri?” Sumina asked her coldly.

“Because Frosthorn and Angelward will be reduce to nothing more than shadows in Void. All of our predecessors had a hand in that child’s enslavement five-hundred-and-ninety-one years ago. It was my mother who peered through the Mist to find her. It was your mother Sumina who crafted the spell that brought her here. Fennie your mother worked the spell that locked her in that childish form leaving her weak and unable to protect herself. Dalilah it was your grandmother who ordered the forging of Tomorrow’s Chains to enslave her.” Vaeri told them as she staired at the empty chair. “Though of us all I hold the greatest debt to that girl.”

“Why do you say this Vaeri?” Dalilah asked not really caring.

“Because for the last four-hundred-and-nine years I have held the key to her freedom.” Vaeri answered as she held up a key made from black diamond and mithril. “During all that time, I could have freed her on a whim.”

“Why would she go to the Emerald Queen?” Dalilah asked her elder Queen.

“Because the two of them are bound by a prophecy five-hundred-and-ninety-five years in the making. The very one that brought her to our predecessors attention and motivated their actions.” Vaeri told her with more than a little exasperation.

“What prophecy Vaeri? Were you there? Tell us.” Sumina demanded of her.

“I was there when the Azure One Nefferi gave her final prophecy. The power of that child’s finally prophecy is without equal. She gave her life powering the prophecy. Nothing was left of her as well. She too was swallowed by the Shadows of Time. Just as our pet dhampir was.” Vaeri told them with real remorse in her voice.

“What was the prophecy?” Sumina demanded again.

“When the Stones of Promise ignite. A Daywalker Child of Vlad’s line shall guide the Emerald Queen. Be not cruel to the Other Soul. A blood soaked White Wolf bound to the Emerald Queen holds the Courts’ Fate.” Vaeri told her with a sad chuckle of remorse. “We should have heeded the warning.”

Imrryr Capital of Melniboné
Morgan Pendragon sat on the edge of the fountain in the City Square staring at the burning campfire in frustration. She knew that they were close to their two goals. She could feel Lisa searching the city. For the last three days they had searched the city for her. She and the guys had agreed to stay away from the Central Tower until they found Lisa. When what she really wanted to do was to head straight for the Central Tower with the Throne room and the Royal Seals.

Ever since they had entered the city proper Morgan’s racial memories had been flooding her mind almost nonstop. Each time Morgan could feel a little more of herself slipping away as more and more past Empresses invaded her mind. The last to visit was Empress Elvira II. She was often called the Red Crystal Sorceress because she used a fist sized garnet to increase her power. Of the ten Melnibonéan Empresses to have invaded her mind only one had not fueled her desire for the Queen’s tiara. The Empress Myra the first had left her with a desire to return Melniboné to its former glory by any means.

“Morgan chows on.” Tony called to her.

“What? Oh, thanks Tony.” She answered and walked over to the campsite.

“Okay kiddo. Who visited this time?” Mike asked her kindly.

“Empress Elvira the second.” Morgan answered honestly as she sat down taking her plate of fish from Tony. “Guys I don’t know how much longer I can holdout. These racial memory flashbacks are getting stronger.”

“Morgan you just need to hold on for a little bit longer. We’ll find Lisa and haul ass back to Avalon. I know that our parents will think of something. You don’t need that fucking tiara.” Lee told her hoping to change his friend’s mind once again about owning one of the three Royal Seals. Of her four traveling companions he was the lone holdout.

“Lee we’ve gone over this already. Morgan’s only hope of remaining sane is that tiara. She’s too powerful. Without that tiara to help regulate her power she could accidently destroy a city.” Mike sighed as he pulled at his fish bitching. “Wish we could have dropped one of those deer before entering the city. It’d be nice to chew on some red meat for once.”

“Like any of us have or could use a bow. I won’t even talked about Morgan using her magic to hunt again.” Tony snorted as he looked at the blushing girl. “What lead you to believe that a magical bolt from you would be equal to a three-oh-eight round?”

“Okay. I get it already. I got a control problem.” Morgan grumbled.

“Morgan that bolt was equal to a one-five-five howitzer.” Mike groaned before dropping his plate as he jumped to his feet spinning towards the sound of crunching gravel. With his saber drawn Mike called out. “Who goes there?! Step into the light and show yourself!”

“Relax Mike! It’s me Lisa Small Dove!” She cried out stepping into the light of the campfire. It took the two older men a few seconds to recognize the Native American woman before them. “I’ve changed a little sense the last time you saw me.”

“You can fucking say that again. Where the hell have been Lisa? We’ve been hunting your ass for weeks.” Tony said as he grabbed her up in his arms.

“AWK! You’re breaking my ribs Tony!” Lisa squeaked out before he handed her off to Mike. Who promptly gave her his own rib cracking hug. “Put me down already you overgrown yard ape.”

“Damn it’s good to see Lisa. We thought we would never find you.” Mike said as he put her down. “Care to explain why you look like you just stepped right off the local Shoshone reservation?”

“It’s not my fault that I’ve been living off the land and following my peoples’ traditions.” Lisa told him as she looked over at Lee and Morgan. “I’ll be honest guys. I’ve been shadowing you four for the last two days.”

“Why did you wait so long to approach us Lisa?” Tony asked her.

“I’m not the only whose changed Tony. The two of you look like a pair of NFL Linebackers. Than a pair of archaeology grad students. I only got close enough to hear your voices and names tonight. I still haven’t figured out why you’re traveling with a pair of teenagers. I thought you two would’ve known better.” Lisa told him honestly.

“We needed experts in the magical and mystical. They’re our experts.” Tony told her honestly. “Don’t knock ‘em Lisa. They both know their shit.”

“They should. The young man is Lee Grant, Professor Grant’s son. The young lady is Morgan Pendragon Professors Pendragon’s daughter.” Mike told her.

“Hold on here guys. I know for a fact the Pendragons have a son.” Lisa grunted as something pointed her in the ribs. “Not now Cherec.”

“Show yourself spirt or face my wrath.” Morgan snarled then chuckle as the pixie squeaked then appeared beside Lisa. Standing up slowly Morgan looked at the pixie smiling. “I welcome you to our fire.”

“I thank you young Empress of the Dragonkin. I am Cherec of the Ivory, Keeper of Names for the Wind Flower clan.” The pixie said as she curtsied in the air just a few feet from Morgan.

“I welcome you Cherec of the Ivory. Thank you for protecting our friend. I know that only one of your kind could hide her from magical sight.” Morgan told the pixie with a friendly yet knowing smile.

“You do me a great honor Empress. I would have help Lisa Small Dove of the Shoshone anyway. She is a woman of the wild and very innocent in the ways of our world.” Cherec told Morgan with a heavy sigh as if she was a mother talking about a petulant child. “I think she would have happily walked around naked if not for me.”

“HAY! I’m not that bad!” Lisa yelled at the pixie causing her to giggle.

“Relax Lisa. The Wind Flower Clan Pixies are known for their pranks.” Morgan told Lisa as she glared at the smiling pixie. “They are the most favored of the Pixie clans by Puck. Getting pranked by one is considered an honor by some.”

“Then I’ve been raised to the level of the Grand Poohbah.” Lisa snarked. Only to hear Cherec giggle again. “Word of advice don’t turn your back on the little sister. She likes to pop bra straps.”

“Good thing I don’t wear one.” Morgan smirked.

“Not like you need one with those leathers.” Lisa chuckled as she eyed the very gorgeous albino in black leather. “With a little makeup and an ice blue dress you would make one hell of a Queen Elsa.”

“Do not go there!” Morgan snarled as she gave Lee a death glare.

“The next time Lee gives you any shit. Let me know. I’ll give you all the ammunition you need to put him in his place.” Lisa told her with smile then turned serious. “Now can someone please tell me how this very beautiful young lady could be Professor Pendragon’s daughter. When we all know that the only child that had at Avalon college was a son?”

“Remember that black sword the professors were studying?” Morgan asked her. When Lisa nodded her head Morgan slowly drew Stormbringer from her scabbard. “Does this sword look like the one in the lab?”

“That is the exact same sword. What does that have to do with anything?”

“What do you remember about that day?” Mike asked her.

“David Pendragon junior coming into the lab. He started translating the ruins on the scabbard. Drawing the sword. Then a fucking wormhole opening up and swallowing everyone the room. Like I said already. What does that have to do with anything?” Lisa demanded.

“This is the bastard sword Stormbringer.” Morgan told her. “It opened that wormhole. When we came through it I was David Pendragon. I make a mistake by using this beast to defend my mother Kathrine. There is a price for wielding Stormbringer. The price I paid was my manhood and race.”

“Oh shit. The curse was real. Did the belt for that scabbard come with it?” Lisa asked as she pointed to the belt around Morgan’s waist.

“No. When I woke up here. I had the sword in one hand. The scabbard in the other. I had to stick the scabbard through my own belt. I had this one made before we left Avalon city.” Morgan explained then asked. “What was written on the old belt Lisa?”

“Pay my price in blood or souls. That was as much as I was able to translate. It was written in Nordic ruins.” Lisa told Morgan honestly.

Stormbringer what was written on that old scabbard belt?’ Morgan asked the chuckling voice in her head. Then changed her mind. ‘On second thought forget I asked that question. I already paid the price for your power.

You’re not as ignorant as I originally believed, Morgan. Though you have come a long way from that clumsy boy who first held me. You have become a very formidable woman of power. Very soon, you’ll become the four-hundred-and-twenty-nineth ruler of Melniboné. The first of your line and the most powerful Queen or King sit upon the Ruby Throne.’ Stormbringer told her.

“Hey you in there sweety?” Lisa asked as she snapped her fingers in front of Morgan’s face. When Morgan only blinked her eyes Lisa sighed. “What the hell just happened to her guys?”

“Relax Lisa. This happens from time to time.” Tony told her then explained. “Usually when Morgan is having a conversation with Stormbringer that only she can hear.”

“She also has visits from the dead Kings and Queens of Melniboné from time to time. When that happens, her personality will unexpectedly and radically change. Usually happens during combat.” Mike told her honestly.

“Is she dangerous?” Lisa asked as she and Cherec backed away from Morgan.

“Only during combat.” Lee told her. “The ones that show up at other times can be very helpful. It’s the ones that appear during combat that we worry over. They can be rather bloodthirsty.”

“Hun? What? Oh shit! Sorry, about that guys. I dropped out again didn’t I?” Morgan asked them. Then sighed as the guys nodded. “How long?”

“No long, kiddo. Who was it this time? Stormbringer, a King, or a Queen?” Mike asked her softly.

“None of the above.” Morgan told them as she turned towards the Central Tower of Imrryr. “They’re calling me.”

“What’s happening guys?” Lisa asked the three men as Morgan sheathed her sword and starting walking towards a bone white tower.

“The Empress is being called by her Royal Seal, Lisa.” Cherec said as she floated over to sit on her shoulder. “Now that she has found you. She has nothing holding her back from her Royal Seal.”

“Excuse me Cherec what are you talking about?” Tony asked the pixie as he grabbed his sword then headed for their horses. “We’ll get the horses Mike. You stay with Morgan. Don’t let her out of your sight. Lee, Lisa, you’re with me. I hope you can saddle a horse Lisa.”

“Mike you help the guys with the horses. Cherec stay with them. I’ll follow Morgan. Don’t worry guys I can move faster on foot.” Lisa told them as she ran after the dazed Morgan. She didn’t understand what was going on with the girl, but as she got closer to her. Lisa could feel something powerful pulling at the girl’s very soul.

“Cherec what did you mean by nothing holding Morgan back now?” Lee asked.

“A promise kept the Empress from her Seal. That promise is now fulfilled.” Cherec told the strange man.

“You’ll have to forgive me Cherec. How could a promise keep Morgan from doing something? It’s not like words can chain her down.” Lee pointed out as he saddled his horse on the other side of Mike.

“Oh, but they can. Promises have great power for the Aos Sídhe, and the Fay. Especially for those of the Dragonkin. When they give their word or promise. Not even a God can make them break it.” Cherec told him as she flew around their heads. “Will you ride your horses into the tower?”

“Not if we can help it Cherec. Why?” Tony asked her.

“Because the hallways are wide enough for five men on horseback to ride comfortably.” Cherec answered with a giggle.

“Worry about that shit later Tony. Mount up and secure Morgan’s horse. Come on Cherec you can ride on my shoulder.” Lee snapped as he wheeled his horse around to find Morgan. “Any idea of which way they went?”

“They went that way.” Cherec said as she pointed towards the tower. The men caught up to Morgan and Lisa just as they entered the ground floor entrance to the Central Tower. It took them five minutes to tight up the horses. If it hadn’t been for Cherec’s guidance they would never have found the women. They weren’t in the throne room as expected.

Instead Cherec had led the three men to a stairway going down at the back of the tower. When they reach the end of the stairway it opened to a massive cavern. The cavern was at least three-hundred feet long, two-hundred feet wide, and one-hundred feet high. In the center was a massive vault that took up three quarters of the cavern’s floor. Morgan stood in front of the vault door with Stormbringer in her hands.

“Guys think we just found the Royal treasure vault for the Melnibonéans.” Lee whispered as he lead his two friends into the cavern.

“Lee has anyone ever said that you have a gift for understatement?” Mike asked with a heavy chuckle before looking over at his fellow grad student. “Tony is it my imagination or is that beast glowing?”

“You’re not seeing things Mike. That vault is glowing. I don’t know of any metal that glows that isn’t charged by something.” Tony told him.

“I hear ya partner. The problem is I don’t see any power or heat source. Do you?” Mike asked him as they walked towards the vault.

“Oh, that’s the Royal magic.” Cherec answered. “All the really powerful and shiny things have been kept in there. The last time anyone entered this vault was during the time of Elric the Pale Prince of Ruins.”

“Why would Morgan need Stormbringer?” Lee asked out of nowhere.

“It’s a master key, Lee. These ancient vaults always have two keys. The first is the master key which is always kept in the royal family. Those can be lost over time. So, there are always two additional guard keys. It takes both keys to open the vault door. Where the master key can open the door on its own.” Mike explained for Lee as they watched Morgan slam Stormbringer into a slot dead center of the door.

The sounds of heavy bolts grinding as they slowly withdrew from the vault wall grabbed their attention. All three young men could tell that the bolts for this boor had not moved in eons. When the first bolt locked back the magic protecting the vault lashed out into the only place it could go. Morgan screamed at the top of her lungs as the power flowed into her. Not thinking Lee ran forward and grabbed a hold of Morgan trying to pull her away from the vault. With no place to go the magic flowed into the teenager couple. They acted as grounding rods for the ancient magic. The very ground beneath their feet turned to crystal as the magic flowed outward into the cavern.

Lisa, Mike, and Tony showed an uncommon amount of common sense by stepping further back from the raging magic. Each had their own reason. Lisa instinctively knew that the magic was unlocking more than just the vault. Mike was flooded with memories from his childhood. Only Tony understood why he held back. He could tell that the spell protecting the vault would only allow those of Melnibonéan blood to enter the vault.

What he and his three human companions did not realize. Their reactions to the spell was too late. The second they had stepped foot into the cavern they had come within range of the protection spell. With each locking bolt more and more of the magic flowed outward from the vault and through the teenagers. As it passed through the two teenagers changes occurred in all of the humans. Only Cherec and Morgan would remain untouched by the spell.

When the second bolt slammed home the first to change was Lee. His skin turn cooper. Her grew 12in height to 7ft 2in while gaining 90lbs of muscles. Lisa was the next as the third bolt pulled back. With the exception of her skin tone and hair Lisa became an exact copy of Morgan physically. Mike came next followed by Tony. Both men grew to 7ft 2in and gained 60lbs of muscle.

The next change to happen among the four humans was their clothing. With the sixth bolt Lisa’s buckskin hides were replaced with wyvern hide leathers the same as Morgan’s. Even her moccasin boots changed to match the thigh-high high-heeled boots that Morgan wore. Her deer hide cloak rippled as it changed as well. The one difference between the two sets of wyvern hide was their color. While Morgan was dressed in all black Lisa’s hides were blood red.

The magic from the seventh bolt reached out to the three young men. Where the girls were dressed in light weight wyvern armor. The boys were now in full armor. Not just any armor. Their armor was that of the Melnibonéan Royal Guards. As was befitting their status as the Queen’s Guards.

As the eighth bolt locked back the magic reached deep underground. Down to an unknown cave shattering the crystal imprisoning the rightful residents of Imrryr. When the five of them had entered the cavern there was only one living Melnibonéan on all of Avalon Island. With the fifth bolt that number had grown to five. When the last and final locking bolt slammed home the Melnibonéan race had returned to the Island of Avalon.

With the protective magic of the vault now dissipated Morgan staggered back into Lee’s armored arms. In her slender hands she held a much sleeker Stormbringer. Lee looked from the blade to the lock. He noticed that the slot was the same size as the sword’s blade.

“My Queen if you are able. We need you to sheath Stormbringer before the vault door will open.” Lee was surprised at the deep rich timber of voice. He didn’t know where the information had come but he knew that the door wouldn’t open until she hand sheath the sword.

“I need a moment Lee.” Morgan answered as she struggled to stand. It was taking all of her strength just to stand. After a few deep breaths Morgan stood straight and slowly sheathed Stormbringer. As the cross guard touched the sheath the vault door sprung open.

“Lisa retrieve the Queen’s tiara.” Lee ordered her harshly. “Our Queen is not yet steady upon her feet.”

“I’m on it, Lee.” Lisa shouted as she rushed pass the teenagers. As she leaped through the open door Mike and Tony moves to each side of Morgan.

“Come on Lee we need to find our Queen something to rest on.” Tony told the younger man. His voice was thick with concern for Morgan. “You don’t look to hot yourself kiddo. You feeling okay?”

“I’m fine Tony. I’m more worried about our Queen.” Lee told him bluntly.

“Hey guys! What’s with all this Queen shit? What Queen are you talking about?” Morgan asked as she shrugged free of Lee’s arms only to have Mike sit her down on a flattop stalagmite near the edge of the cavern. With a put upon sigh Morgan pushed her hair from her eyes. It was now that she saw her radically changed friends. “Is that really you guys?”

“Oh yeah. It’s us Morgan. Well, maybe I should say that the new and improved us.” Tony chuckled. “It seems that only Melnibonéan Nobility may enter this chamber. I have no idea what the spell was, but it packed one mother fucking punch from hell.”

“It was three spells Sir. The Binding of Noble Birth, the Queen’s Gift, and Shattered Slumber.” Cherec told them as she ticked off the spells on her tiny fingers. “My Queen you must hurry and change. It is time to claim your tiara. Your people have awakened from their immortal sleep.”

“What are you talking about Cherec?” Morgan asked the pixie.

“The Dragonkin have returned. Even now they make their way to the Central Tower. Very soon the common people will begin to gather at the steps. The Nobles will gather in the throne room. They have all waited since the time of the last Great Reset for their Queen. Please do not make them wait any longer.” Cherec told her as she flittered around excitedly.

“Hold on here Cherec. Whoever said that I agreed to be their Queen in the first damned place?” Morgan snarled at the flying pest.

“Peace my Queen. The pixie only speaks truth.” Lee whispered from behind Morgan. When Morgan gave him a death glare Lee smirked. “You might not want the damned job Morgan, but it became yours the second you unlocked the vault. The whole situation is a Schrodinger’s Box.”

“Don’t you mean a Schrodinger’s cat Lee?” Mike asked him.

“Nope. Think about it. Schrodinger’s whole thought experiment depends on opening that box.” Lee pointed to the open door of the vault. “Until that vault opened. The Melnibonéan race is without a ruler. Without a ruler they don’t exist. With a ruler they exist. Just like Schrodinger’s cat. Until the box is opened the cat is both alive and dead at the same time.”

“Okay kid you lost me there for a minute, but I see what you’re saying now. At least I can follow the logic.” Mike chuckled. “Does your dad know you’re studying that voodoo science?”

“Hey, I take exception to that Mike.” Morgan snorted. “I have you know that quantum physics, is a legitimate study of magic. Not like that crap they tech in combinatorics and astrophysics.”

“I agree with our Queen. When it comes to the sciences of combinatorics and astrophysics are closer to voodoo than any other. Quantum physics is closer to a study in the philosophy of magic.” Lisa said as she returned with a red pillow in her hands. “Hold this for me will Tony.”

“Sure.” Tony said and almost dropped the pillow when he saw the tiara resting on top. “Lisa please tell me this isn’t what I think it is?”

“It’s the Queen’s tiara. Now shut up and let me attend to our Queen.” She order him as she stepped behind the teenage Queen of Melniboné. All three men wisely end their conversation as Lisa pulled a Gaia stone comb from a pouch on her hip. “Cherec can you summon my pack from where I left it?”

“Do you want your bow, and arrows as well Lady Lisa?” Cherec asked as she began working a summoning spell.

“Might as well Lisa. I doubt they’ll remain unchanged.” Tony told her as he held up his saber. “Just look at what you’re wearing and your weapons. Hell, we’re not even the same race from when we first walked in here.”

Before Lisa could make up her mind. Her pack, along with her bow, and arrows appeared next to her. Cherec giggled and clapped her hands. “I did it! My spell worked! Look Lisa I actually got them all in one go.”

“Thank you Cherec.” Lisa said as she dug through her pack. She pulled out a small box made of bone. Opening the lid Lisa used her fingers to remove a small dab of grease. After combing the grease through Morgan’s hair Lisa braided a strain at each temple. She took the two strains and intertwined them at the back of Morgan’s head.

The entire time Lisa worked with Morgan’s hair she hummed a soft tune. Lisa let her magic reach out to Morgan’s leathers. As her magic touched Morgan’s leathers Lisa was surprise to find them already charged with more than leatherworkers magic. She could feel residual magic from the vault. The exact spell was unknown to her, but she could tell what type of magic. Taking a deep breath Lisa began to sing. All three men facepalmed at the same time as the words to Let it go filled the cavern.

As the notes of the song rang out Lisa forced her will onto the trans-morphic magic and changed Morgan’s leathers. Lisa could picture the Queen Elsa’s magic transforming her dress as she sang. Just as Elsa’s coronation dress had transformed into a blue gown of snow white, blue.

When Lisa finished singing Morgan’s hair was woven into a coronet braid. Morgan’s Ranger leathers had transformed into a dragon hide leather riding outfit befitting that of the Bright Empire’s Queen. Morgan was the picture of Melnibonéan Royal. The only thing missing was her crown. Lisa looked up at Cherec. “It’s time.”

With those two simple words Cherec transformed before their eyes. Gone was the foot tall pixie. In her place was a six foot tall Aos Sídhe woman with green skin and pink hair. She reached over and picked up the tiara. Cherec turned to face Morgan. As she slowly lower the bejeweled circlet to Morgan’s head Cherec took a deep breath then using her magic cast the scene for all to see and hear.

“By the High Lords of Balance. I give you Queen Morgan Pendragon, the White Wolf of Melniboné, the first of her line.” With those words Cherec set the Queen’s tiara on Morgan’s head and vanished.

“Who the HELL was that?” Mike, Lee, and Tony demanded together.

“That was the wife of Oberon, the first Queen of Avalon, Titania.” Morgan answered as she stood up. “Come on guys. Time to meet my subjects.”

-----tbc-----

up
267 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Didn’t see that coming…….

D. Eden's picture

Not the transformation of Morgan’s companions, or especially that Cherec was really Titania.

I wonder how the ten warriors from each queen will play into this, and I truly wonder how Morgan’s parents will react to her being the Queen Morgan, the White Wolf of Melnibone’.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

This story just keeps getting better

Julia Miller's picture

We have the 4 evil queens (and their Rangers) coming together to try to stop our new heroes. Morgan and the rest of their party make the new transformation into Melniboneans. And it seems the rest of the dragonkin citizens of Imrryr have awakened from their slumber. We find that quantum physics is related to the study of magic. I can't wait to see how all of this ends, but I think it will be some time yet.

Two Halves made Whole?

My5InchFMHeels's picture

It seems at this point, that the two halves that have been separated by the mist, are to be united through Mother/Daughter queens. And 2 teams of minions sent after Morgan are going to find they have a bit more to fight than they believed.

Two teams

I don’t know if they left or not they were still there when that huge magical battle that terrified them took place.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Stories

I like this story as all the others stories you have written, I'm just wondering if you going to any more stories about the Black Badge Marshall's? Thanks for all the wonderful stories you have written over the years.

Love this story

Love this story
I wonder if the forty knights and four rangers will be transformed and switch loyalties to serve the new queen or just eliminated.

wow, wow, wow!

and even more wow!

DogSig.png

Wow

I didn’t see a lot what happened in the vault coming. Does this mean Lee is now the royal consort.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

I got the shivers

Holy Moly!!! This was an action packed chapter!!

Treads woven together building to a climax and then you leave use hanging wanting more!!

All your stories are great and imaginative!!

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.