The Black Sword. chapter- 14

Printer-friendly version
The Black Sword.

Down through history there has been many stories of heroes and the weapons of power. Thor with his Warhammer Mjölnir, the sword of Aries and Mars, Attila the Hun’s sword, and King Author’s Excalibur. These are but a few legends. Yet for every one of these legends there are two legendary weapons lost to time. Among those lost weapons are the few whose power comes with a cost. They are the cursed weapons of power. Each curse is unique to the weapon. The Black sword is but one such weapon of great power. This is the story of the weapon and its newest welder.


Chapter 14
Assembly Grounds South of Angelward
Campaign Tent of Vaeri Xilhana, Queen of Aos Sídhe Summer Court.
Queen Vaeri looked over her gathering troops. She knew that this was going to be an exercise in futility. The Fall and Winter Courts would never agree to work as one against the Dragonkin. With a frown plastered on her face Vaeri turned towards the forbidden city. “When the demons come for revenge nothing we poor mortals can do will stop them.”

“What was that grandmother?” Princess Veariana asked her grandmother.

“Nothing child. Just an old woman’s musing on past achievements.” Vaeri lied to her youngest and most powerful grandchild.

“Grandmother do you let Queen Finnea continue with this false belief of equality?” Veariana asked her bluntly. “We should just remove this falsehood of a Spring Court and rule all of Angelward as a single Kingdom.”

“We have to abide by the Treaty of The True King. At least until the Winter and Fall Courts combine into a single Kingdom. Until then Queen Finnea controls one half of our Kingdom.” Veari told her granddaughter with a sigh. This was an argument she had had with her children time and again.

The one thing that had kept the Aos Sídhe kingdoms from going to war with each other was that treaty. It was the reason behind what she, and the Queens of Frosthorn had done in the cave of King Author’s tomb. The spell was so dark and powerful it had cost one of them their life. That particular spell had cost her and Queen Sumina Sarwarin a third of their magical essence. Yet it had to be done. If only to keep the humans in Avalon from rising to power. Only she and Sumina knew of the dark deed that stained the Aos Sídhe peace.

“Could there be a greater piece of useless paper?” Veariana snarled. The slap from her grandmother sent Veariana to her knees.

“THAT USELESS PIECE OF PAPER WAS PAID FOR IN AOS SÍDHE BLOOD!” Veari screamed as she stood over her granddaughter. “By the Goddess never forget that.”

“Yes grandmother.” Veariana whimpered in true fear. She had never seen her grandmother this enraged. She had to know why the Treat of the True King meant some much her and the other Queens. “Please grandmother tell why that treaty is so important? Who paid in blood for our peace?”

“You will know what you need to know when the time is right Veariana. Not before.” Veari told her granddaughter. “All you need to know is that the treaty was paid for with the blood and magical essence of Aos Sídhe Queens. On the day you ascend to the throne. All your questions shall be answered.”

“Have you finally decided on who shall be your successor grandmother? Are you finally stepping down?” Veariana asked her hopefully.

“Don’t be too excited at being my successor Veariana. I have grown old and tired child. Your mother is not strong enough to oppose you Veariana. Nor are your cousins. If this was the Winter or Fall Courts I’m sure that you would have killed me in my sleep. I have seen your ambition. Keep it in check Veariana or it will be your undoing.” Veari warned her grandchild before she turned to the three human slaves who were pages in your court. “Go to the other Queens. Inform them that I wish a Council of the Courts one day from now in the Clearing of Challenges.”

The three slaves bowed as one then turned and ran to carry out their orders. As they left the Veari’s tent she turned to one of her maids. “Yulely go to the slaves quarters. Select fifteen teenage boys and train them to be pages.”

“At once majesty. Should they be clipped or fettered?” The maid asked.

“Neither. I want them to be able to run like their lives depend on it.” Veari told the maid honestly. “Because it will.”

“Grandmother why are you replacing the old pages?”

“Because none of them will live after they have delivered their messages.” Veari told her granddaughter bluntly. Then turned to her guards. “Saddle my horse and assemble my escort captain. We ride for the Clearing of Challenges in one hour.”

Campaign Tent for Finnea Iarceran, Queen of Aos Sídhe Spring Court
Queen Finnea sat back in her campaign chair with scowl on her face. It had been two days sense her Rangers had reported that the Dragon’s Eye stone had begun to glow. In the days following the report from her Rangers Finnea had yet to hear back from the knights she had sent to deal with the Dragonkin Queen. This was not a good sign in her mind. Unlike the other Queens Finnea had her own oracle. While not as powerful as the Other Soul oracle. The girl was still able to glimpse the Fate’s will from time to time. What the girl had glimpsed had caused her to jump from the tallest tower in Angelward.

“Damn that girl’s soul to the lowest pits of hell.” Finnea snarled before taking a drink of her wine. “She could’ve at least told us what she saw.”

“What was that your Majesty?” One of her guards asked.

“Nothing Colman. Just talking to myself.” Finnea sighed then looked out at the gathering armies of the Spring and Summer Courts. “How much longer before we’re ready to march on the forbidden city?”

“Another day at the minimum Majesty.” Colman answered honestly.

“Any word from the Fall and Winter Courts?” She asked him.

“None your Majesty. Though I doubt they have been able to gather their soldiers any faster than we.” He told her.

“Why is it taking so long to gather our forces?” She asked.

“Most of our Foot soldiers are conscripted from the commoners and are poorly armed. We’re having to replaced their weapons and armor.” Colman explained.

“How come the Foot soldiers of the Summer Court are forming up quick than our own? Aren’t they also conscripts from the commoners?”

“You Majesty the answer is simple. Queen Vaeri’s subjects routinely muster forth to drill for combat. She also has a system in place for arming them with new weapons and armor.” Colman answered her as he looked towards the other half of the open field. Unlike his Queen the Knight knew for a fact that the Summer Court and its subjects was always ready for a fight.

“Sir Colman would it be possible to for us to implement such a program within our own half of the kingdom?”

“It would take a larger purse for our military your Majesty.” Colman answered honestly hoping that for once his Queen would heed his advice.

“Should we survive this upcoming battle with the Dragonkin Colman. I want you to arrange for the same type of system of training for our Foot Soldiers. I never want us to be at such a disadvantage again.” Finnea ordered the knight then sighed. “Be honest with me Sir Colman. What are our chances of surviving open warfare with the Dragonkin?”

“I will not lie to you, your Majesty. In a frontal assault with the Dragonkin we will not survive. Neither army has the sheer numbers to overcome their far superior firepower. We would put up a valiant fight but in the end they will simply overpower us in hours.” Colman told her bluntly then sighed. “Should they call on their magics. The fight will end in minutes.”

“What of their dragons the legends speak of?” Finnea asked him with concern. “How long would we last in a fight then?”

“Seconds if we were lucky Majesty.” Colman answered bluntly.

“Is there anyway we can attack the forbidden city from the sea?” Finnea asked him deep in thought.

“Only a fool would attack the forbidden city from the sea your Majesty. As powerful as our galleys are they pale in comparison to their golden barges. Just one of them could destroy five of our galleys in minutes. Then there is their harbor defenses. If legend is half true. They could rain down death and destruction on our galleys before they got within range.” Colman said.

“What if they were to attack us from the sea? Could our harbor defenses repel them?” Finnea asked the knight.

“We would be hard-pressed to repel such an attack. Even with the help of the Summer Court knights and foot soldiers there is a good chance that the Dragonkin would take our city.” Colman answered honestly.

“How long?”

“If they should take the harbor Majesty. Then within six to seven hours the Dragonkin would be at the doors of the Summer Court throne room. One to two hours later they would be at the doors to the Spring Court throne. It wouldn’t matter really. Because once they took the harbor. None of our city defenses would be enough to stop them.” Colman told her honestly.

“What about our magical defenses?”

“Majesty of all our mages. Both in the Spring and Summer Courts to include both Queens. There is only one that stands a small fleeting chance against their weakest mage.” Colman grunted. “You are not that one Majesty.”

“Are you talking about Queen Vaeri?” Finnea asked him.

“Even she falls short Majesty. No, the one I speak of is Princess Vaeriana. The Summer Queen’s youngest granddaughter.” Colman told her then dropped the volume of his voice so that only Finnea could hear. “They say she has mastered the mystical arts of the Human mages Merlin and Morgana Le Fay.”

“Only one Aos Sídhe has ever mastered the magic of those foul beings. The day that the first Grand Queen was assassinated by her successor was a grand day for our people. If the Princess Veariana has mastered those magics. Then her own grandmother would slay her in her sleep.” Finnea snarled. “That is the one law none of us would dare to violate. Not even the Dark Fey.”

“Your Majesty I carry word from the Summer Court.” A young page said as he approached her. Finnea waved for the boy to continue. “Queen Veari has asked for a Council of the Courts.”

“When and where boy?” Finnea snarled.

“One day from now in the Clearing of Challenges.” The page told her.

“Saddle my horse. Assemble my personal escort. I want to be moving in one half hour.” Finnea ordered as she stood up from her camp chair. As she walked passed Colman she whispered. “Kill the boy.”

Colman didn’t even think twice as he cut down the human page. To him it was one less human vermin polluting the Spring Court. Now he just needed the command to strike down the Summer Court Queen and his day would be complete.

Assembly grounds for Frosthorn
Campaign tent for Sumina Sarwarin, Queen of Aos Sídhe Fall Court.
Like her counterparts in the other three courts Sumina had given the order for her army to assemble. Unlike her counterparts Sumina knew that their chance at stopping the return of the Dragonkin had already passed. That dream had died in the womb of creation. Sumina knew that no matter how large of a force the four Queens gathered. It would not matter once the Melnibonéans gathered in force and awakened their dragon brethren. They would march across the northern half of Avalon as an unstoppable military wave of conquest. Enslaving or destroying all in their path.

“The Hunter’s Moon is only four days away. The Dragonkin Queen will be in the forefront of their battleline.” Sumina sighed as she looked toward the Forbidden city. “Forty of our best knights wasted in a futile attempt to keep a prophecy from coming to fruition.”

“Excuse me my Queen. The Ranger we placed in the Crystal Caves of Promises has arrived.” Her tent guard said from behind her.

“Send Lars to me.” Sumina ordered without turning around. When she heard the creek of leather armor Sumina turned to face the kneeling Ranger. “Tell me Lars. What brings you here today?”

“Two human slaves have crossed through the boundaries of the Cave Majesty. One heads for the Winter Court and the other comes here.” Lars told her.

“How do they travel Lars?” Sumina asked him.

“By foot my Queen. They run as if the hounds of hell are nipping at their heels.” Lars explained for his Queen.

“Are they alone?” She asked him quickly.

“Alone without escort Majesty.” Lars answered in confusion.

“Death run messengers.” Sumina gasped. “Lars ensure that those messengers reach the assembly grounds. If the Winter Court attempts to stop you are to interfere. Those humans must reach the Queens they were sent.”

“As you command your Majesty.” Lars told her as he stood and bowed then left his Queen’s campaign tent. As the Ranger disappeared back into the woods two thoughts ran repeatedly through his head. ‘What was a Death run message? What was so important about them?’

Back at the tent Sumina turned towards the Angelward assembly grounds. “What could drive you to use such a disparate spell Veari? Have you reached your end days at last old friend? Has the time come when we pay for our crime?”

Not getting any answers from the Universe or the Gods Sumina turned to her campaign chair. As she sat down Sumina’s joints popped with arthritis. “The years have not been kind to us Veari. We have both lived longer than any other Queen in our race’s history. I’m surprised that your granddaughter hasn’t slit your throat in your sleep.”

Taking a drink from the wine cup next to her Sumina turned her head to the side and spat it out. Looking over at the youngest of her granddaughters Sumina smiled. “Nice try Fearina. Did you really believe that I could have been poisoned so easily?”

“Not really grandmother. Though I did hope you would not recognize the taste of Twilight Leaf. What gave it away?” The twenty something woman asked.

“It was not the taste Fearina. When poisoning someone you must know far more than just their favorite foods and wines.” Sumina told her granddaughter with a sly knowing smile. Tapping the side of her goblet with her ring Sumina gave her a harsh glare. “You must know what precautions they take against being poisoned in the first place.”

“Understood grandmother.” The young Princess said with a deep curtsy of respect as she eyed the goblet and ring. Fearina used her magic sight on the golden goblet and ring. She noticed that when the two touched a magic spell was released within the bowl. “A two part anti-poison spell on the goblet. Why didn’t I think of that?”

“Because you’re still young Fearina.” Sumina told her bluntly then poured out the rest of the wine in her goblet. Then waved for a fresh cup. As the wine soaked into the ground the grass died within seconds. Sumina smiled over at her granddaughter. “There is an art to poisoning Fearina. One that takes years to master. Should you survive this war with the Dragonkin. I suggest that you spent time with your Uncle Leevie. He is a true Master of the art when you were still a gleam in your father’s eye.”

“Excuse me your Majesty, but there is a human page from the Summer Court here. He says that he has a message for you.” Her tent guard announced.

“Bring him to me, Sergeant.” Sumina ordered from her chair as her maid poured her a fresh cup of wine. When the barely breathing human slave was dragged before Sumina sighed. “Speak your last words slave.”

“Your majesty Queen Veari has asked for a Council of the Courts to be held one day from now in the Clearing of Challenges.” The page gasped out then fell over gasping his chest in pain.

“Saddle my horse and breakdown my campaign tent. You have one hour.” Sumina ordered her maids as she stood up. Looking down at the slave she sighed. “Sergeant put the boy out of his misery.”

Campaign tent for Dalilah Saa Llolth, Queen of Aos Sídhe Winter Court
Like the other Queens Queen Dalilah was overseeing the gathering of her army. Unlike them though she still believed that they stood a chance against the Melnibonéans. They might be the great boogieman from the past, but they were still part of the past. They could be defeated. Dalilah knew that of the four current Queens she was the most powerful. She also knew how to defeat the Dragonkin. The question was how to force them into the situation that would lead to their defeat. Looking down at the map on her field table Dalilah slowly outlined the routes her enemy would have to take.

“If I can only get the other Queens see the path to victory. The woods surrounding the Forbidden City are the key. They have had eons to grow. Their dragons will be of little use to them in that mess.” Dalilah grumbled.

“Your wine Mistress.” One of her slaves said as she approached the Queen.

“Find Lord Gillum for me, slave.” Dalilah ordered the girl as she took the goblet from her. As the slave ran from the tent Dalilah thought about the woods. “There is no honor in this strategy. Only victory.”

Dalilah picked up the markers that indicated her Rangers and Foot Soldiers. She placed half of them along the road that lead directly through the woods to Frosthorn. The other half she split between Frosthorn and the assembly grounds. “I don’t care what those three old crowns do. I will not leave my home undefended. The dragons will come for Frosthorn and Angelward.”

“All of your plans shall be for nothing Queen of the Winter Court.” The voice came from the shadows in the far corner of the tent. It was one that Dalilah knew well. It was also the one voice she had hoped to never hear again. Slowly a portal opened in the shadows and the dhampir Princess Vladislava stepped through. She waved her hand sending out a wave of warding magic. “Do not bother calling out for your guards Queen Dalilah. They will not hear.”

“So, this is your true slave.” Dalilah chuckled. “I always knew that you hide your full power from us. Have you come to gloat?”

“I have come to repay your one act of kindness.” Princess Vladislava said as she walked towards the table. She reached over and placed three markers on the map along the coastline. “In three days, the golden barges of Imrryr shall sail toward Frosthorn. Here will be your only chance to save your city. Fail to stop the barges Frosthorn will fall in one day.”

“What of the knights that were send to Imrryr?” Dalilah asked the dhampir.

“They have become the playthings of the White Wolf.” Vladislava told her coldly. “They failed before the sun reached its zenith.”

“Will you visit the other Queens dhampir?” Dalilah asked Vladislava.

“I might. Though for you this will not be the last time. I shall visit you twice more.” Vladislava told the young Queen honestly.

“What is the real reason you have come to me now?” Dalilah asked.

“Of the four Queens, you had the least to do with my enslavement. You are also the only Aos Sídhe Queen who has not accepted the fate of their kingdom. You still dream of a victory over your accent foes. I wish to save your subjects. To that end I will offer you a choice.” Vladislava told her.

“What is this choice?” Dalilah asked.

“Come with me. Become my mireasa legata de sange.” Vladislava smirked. Dalilah didn’t knew what a mireasa legata de sange was, but she had no desire to find out. At least not until she had no other choice. “I can see that you’re not ready. I shall visit twice more. Until then Queen Dalilah.”

“Tell me something dhampir. When will the final promise ignite? Will you at least tell me which prophecy shall take hold?” Dalilah asked.

“I will tell you when you accept my offer.” Vladislava giggled as she faded once more into the shadows. “See you soon my pretty.”

“Damn that woman. I will not become her personal plaything.” Dalilah snarled.

“Your Majesty, there is a runner from Queen Vaeri.” Her tent guard called.

“Bring them in.” Dalilah snarled as she turned to the tent flap. When her guards dragged a half dead human slave into the tent Dalilah knew that he would not live long. “Speak your last words slave.”

“Your majesty Queen Veari has asked for a Council of the Courts to be held one day from now in the Clearing of Challenges.” The slave gasped out before dying in pain from an exploding heart.

“Worthless. The Spring and Summer Courts may claim to be more gentle but only the coldest of hearts would use Death Runners.” Dalilah sighed. Looking over at her personal slaves. “Strike the tent. Have it ready to move in one hour. Guards saddle my horse and gather my escort. We ride for the Clearing of Challenges in one hour.”

“What of the runner Majesty? What should we do with it?” The guard asked.

“Feed it to the crows. They have as much right to eat as worms.” Dalilah snarled and waved the man out. Once she was alone once more Dalilah looked to the shadow filled corner. “I will never be your plaything.”

Central tower of Castle Avalon, Avalon City.
Queen Katherine stood quietly looking out over the rampart at the city below. She knew that her daughter would soon be returning at the head of an army. There was no way she could stop that from happening. Even her husband had seen the upcoming confrontation with their daughter.

“Mistress, Dame Eleanor and Grand Master Grahone wish for an audience.” Sile said as she stepped onto the battlement to kneel behind Katherine. “Mistress they are not alone. They have brought their followers.”

“Good. Are your sisters in place?” Katherine asked without turning around.

“They stand at the ready Mistress.” Sile answered with a sly predatory smile.

“Then it is time to beard the dogs in their den.” Katherine snarled as she turned towards the stairwell. “Sile is my husband and Lord Dale in the throne or are they in the Tower of Sagas?”

“Neither Mistress. Master and Lord Dale have gone to the practice field used by Dame Eleanor’s more fanatical followers.” Sile answered in confusion. “They were discussing some type of magic that is unknow to me.”

“Did they by chance mention the name of this magic?” Katherine asked.

“They did not say. They were talking about something called a polymimetic alloy, and electroplating.” Sile answered honestly.

“They were discussing a type of science Sile not magic. Metallurgy is made of heavily controlled disciplines. The laws that govern the individual fields of study are very unforgiving. Electroplating being one of the most difficult to master.” Katherine chuckled as she lead the way down the stairs. “Knowing my husband and Lord Dale they were comparing the different types of metal properties and their uses.”

“I can only take thy word Mistress. I know very little of this science and its laws. Magic is an art. It defies all laws.” Sile said in confusion.

“That is because magic is the study of words and emotions Sile. In the world we came from magic would be the province of the poet.” Katherine chuckled as they exited the stairwell. “Though there are some fields of science that I would often place in the same category as magic.”

“Mistress magic is magic.” Sile huffed then giggled. “Though the best mages have always been masters of poetry and song.”

“I wonder how many Bards were overlooked for their contributions to magic.” Katherine wondered out load as they walked through the halls of the castle.

“I have no idea Mistress. Though the greatest of Bards was said to gather great storms, cause the very ground to shake, fires to run wild, rivers to rise over their banks, with nothing more than his songs.” Sile confessed. Then giggled. “One tale speaks of how he won the heart of a Princess with his songs then turned her into a dryad when he left.”

“Why in the world would he go to all the trouble?” Katherine asked Sile in total confusion. “Then again Bards never did make sense to me.”

“According to the story he did it to punish the Princess. For what no one knows Mistress. My mother used the story to scare me into good behavior.” Sile told her Mistress with a soft giggle.

“I take it from that giggle it didn’t work?” Katherine asked with her own giggle. “I doubt that such tales work on most girls.”

“That has been my experience Mistress. Did they work with you?” Sile dared.

“Nope. Then again my mother was more of a free spirit than my father would have liked at times. Tell me something Sile. Which of Dame Eleanor’s and Master Grahone’s followers are going to cause the most problems.”

“Mistress of all those who are with them. All will cause problems. They are their most fanatical of followers. If you disagree with Dame Eleanor’s or Master Grahone’s wishes. They will attack. To them you should be nothing more than a figurehead for our government.” Sile told her.

“Very well. Sile once we are in the throne I need for you and your sister to do something for me.” Katherine told her then went on to out line what she wanted from her personal guards and slaves. “Any questions Sile?”

“Just one Mistress. How shall we know when to carry out your wishes?”

“Do not worry Sile. You’ll know when.” Kathrine told her bluntly just as they entered the throne room. Sile moved to stand with the personal guard while Katherine took her seat on the throne. She took a deep breath and glared down at the eight people before her. “What can be so pressing that you have damned this audience Dame Eleanor, Master Grahone?”

“We must address the threat that your former Champion and daughter presents. Your continued ambivalence to the threat is tantamount to High Treason.” Dame Eleanor snarled without preamble or respect. “We damn you turn over the governance of Avalon to those of us who know what is best for our people.”

“What does that mean Dame Eleanor?” Kathrine snarled as she slowly drew in her magical power. “And if you fail to address me properly again. It will be the last time. Do you understand?”

“Of course, your Majesty.” Dame Eleanor snarled.

“Your Majesty can you blame us for doubting your ability to rule wisely? You kill the Council members and banish their families. Then you replace them lowly commoners and bastard lords or ladies. People who are unsuitable for the roles of government.” Grahone argued their first point of contention. “It is obvious that you lack the necessary training to lead our nation. Though you have shown potential. Which with time, training, and guidance you can be modeled into one of our greatest Queens.”

“I see. Any other problems with the way I govern my Kingdom Master Grahone?” Katherine snarled as she looked towards Sile while waving her hand. Sile snarled but stood still. Katherine could tell that having Sile as her pet mage and bodyguard would be difficult at times.

“There are several your Majesty, but as I said with time, training, and guidance you could become one of our greatest Queens.” Grahone told her smugly as he bowed slightly from the waist.

“What about you Dame Eleanor? Do you feel the same?” Kathrine asked.

“I have no desire to govern your Majesty. I am merely your military advisor. My duty is to advise you in military matters. Advice that you have yet to heed.” Eleanor snarled as her three subordinates nodded their heads.

Katherine looked over at Sile. “Kill them.”

At Katherine’s order Sile bound the magic of the four mages. While her personal bodyguards attacked the knights before they had a chance to draw their swords. Dame Eleanor died before she ever knew where the strike came from. Sile used her magic to twist the spells that Grahone and his cronies had cast back upon them. The screams only when their heads were removed by Katherine’s bodyguards. Katherine stood up from her throne and turned to the throne room attendants. “Clear away the bodies please. Leave the heads.”

“Majesty what do you want done with their followers?” One of the guards asked her as she kicked the cooling body of Eleanor. “They will surely rise up in revolt over their deaths.”

“I believe that my husband and Lord Dale are handling that problem as we speak.” Katherine chuckled then turn harsh. “Place their heads on pikes at the entrance to their respective towers as a warning.”

“As you command Majesty.” One of the throne room guards shouted and grabbed the head of Eleanor off the floor. When no blood poured from the severed neck she looked towards the swords of the knight that had killed the Grand Marshall for the Gray Wolf Knights. In a voice barely above a whisper she asked. “What kind of blade leaves behind no blood?”

“The Blades of the Vampire.” Sile told her with a nasty grin. “Those blades drain the blood of their victims with each killing blow.”

“How could they come by such weapons of power?” The knight asked in fear.

“Our Mistress did gift them to us.” One of the knights for Honor’s Blade tonelessly answered as she sheathed her sword. “Remember where your loyalty lies knight or join us in our bondage.”

“Bridget take four of your sisters and find my Husband. No matter what you’re to protect him and Lord Dale.” Katherine ordered as she turned towards the exit. “Mylisant you are to take the rest of your sisters to the Tower of Sagas. Arrest any mage that supports Grahone. Sile go with them.”

“If they should resist Mistress?” Sile asked.

“Kill them.” Katherine told her bluntly and left the throne room. If she had stayed Katherine would have overheard a very unsettling conversation.

“I thought that our new Queen would show more leniency. Yet she is harsher than any Queen to have sat on the Emerald Throne.” One of the guards grunted.

“I believe I know why our Mistress is acting the way that she is Dame Helen. Two days ago, she conjured a book from her home world called The Prince. This book is a sixteenth-century political treatise written by the Italian diplomat and political theorist Niccolò Machiavelli as an instruction guide for new princes and royals. The general theme of The Prince is accepting the aims of princes and kings. Such as glory and survival. Can be justify by the use of immoral means to achieve those ends.” Sile explained as she turned to lead the five knights towards the Tower of Sages. “Captain there is quote in the book that fits Mistress’s attitude. Being feared and not hated go well together, and the prince can always do this if he does not touch the property or the women of his citizens and subjects.”

“So, our Queen is being cruel now so that she does not to be cruel in the future?” The Captain asked in confusion.

“Our Mistress is striving to set an example for how traitors shall be treated in the future. By showing no mercy Queen Katherine ends all but the most fanatical of opposition to her rule.” Sile told her they left the throne room. “She knows what must be done to put down the revolt that is brewing among the Gray Wolf and Bear Orders.”

“What of Lords David and Dale?” The Captain asked.

“They go to end the threat of the fanatics within the Gray Wolves.” Sile told the knight bluntly. “Be thankful you have already sworn your fealty to our Mistress, Captain. While she does not tolerate traitors lightly. Our Mistress’s pales next to her husband and Lord Dale in that matter.”

“Why do I have a feeling that was a threat slave?” The Captain snarled.

“No Dame Helen. That was a warning.” Sile told the woman. “I have seen the anger and the power of those two men. Only Queen Katherine can match them.”

“Then the rumor is true? Are they really the reincarnations of Merlin and Mordred?” Dame Helen asked Sile.

“By all rights. That is the only explanation I could find for their power.” Sile told Dame Helen honestly.

“What of the Queen’s daughter? Can she really be as powerful as the legends say?” Dame Helen asked her with really worry in her voice.

“Queen Morgan has claimed the Queen’s Tiara and the Ring of Kings. Between those two Seals she is now twice as powerful as her parents. Make no mistake in this Dame Helen. Should the Melnibonéan Queen decide that we are her enemies. There will be nothing we can do to stop her.” Sile told her bluntly.

“What of the prophecies?” Dame Helen asked Sile.

“Both are coming true Dame Helen. Our only hope is that the two Queens can come to some understanding.” Sile told her as they exited the castle.

“What of Dame Atheena and her Hunters? Do you think they’ll be able to stop Queen Morgan?” Dame Helen asked hopefully.

“If they are lucky and the legends are halfway true. Someday in the future a foolish adventurer will find their bones molding in the sun.” Sile snorted.

“IF they’re unlucky?” Helen asked.

“Then Atheena and her Hunters are even now the playthings of the Melnibonéan royal court.” Sile told the knight bluntly.

Hill overlooking the Gray Wolf training grounds.
David and Dale looked down at the field before them. The two men did a fast count of the knights. Dale was the first to say something. “I got one hundred and sixty-five knights. What about you Dave.”

“I got the same. That’s a shit ton of armored calvary down there Dale.” David told his friend as he reached inside his jacket for his pipe and tobacco. Seeing this Dale also reached for his pipe. As the two men packed their pipes David Pendragon thought back to how the lives of his family change in the last few months. “Dale did you ever think that we would end up living out our lives in a medieval fantasy?”

“Not in my wildest dreams old boy.” Dale answered as he lite his pipe. “Though the day they brought that black rune covered sword into my lab. I should have seen something like this happening. Any idea of how to handle this one old boy?”

“It would better to let me handle this one Lords.” Both men turned to face the Green Knight as he approached them. “These knights are misguided in their faith. It is my duty and curse to be their judge.”

“I would agree with you Sir Bertilak, but these knights are fanatics. They may not recognize your author to judge them.” Dale told him before lighting his pipe. After taking a deep drag Dale pointed towards the practice field with the stem. “You go down there, and they’ll kill you.”

“They’ll try Lord Dale.” The Green Knight chuckled evilly as he caressed Braindead. “You forget sir that I am immortal. There is only one way to kill me gentlemen. One that I am not about to share with anyone.”

“That is true Dale.” David told him with a chuckle. “Though this is one time Sir Bertilak that we must use discretion. Brute force will solve nothing this time around. We must try to win over as many of these knights to the Queen’s cause as possible.”

“And if they refuse?” The Green Knight asked.

“Then they will face the Dragon’s judgement.” David snarled as he started walking toward the training grounds. Dale just chuckled as the Green Knight shook his head in disbelief.

“One man against more than a hundred and fifty knights.” Bertilak sighed. “Is Lord David mad Lord Dale?”

“Nope. He knows a spell that will level the playing field before the first of them can react.” Dale snorted as he followed his friend. “There is also something else you should know old boy.”

“What is that good sir?” Bertilak asked as he fell in beside Dale.

“These bitches went and pissed off the one man in all of Avalon that even I’m afraid of.” Dale snorted. “I may have known David Pendragon for a short time. I can tell you this much about him. He loves his wife and child. Anyone stupid enough to fucking threaten them. Let’s just say I want to be on the other side of the island when he goes after them.”

“How can you say that Lord Dale? Lord David is one of the most rational men I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.” Bertilak said in confusion.

“Because David Pendragon knows the fundamentals of more than one science. He’ll call upon the sciences of our time and world. Sciences so terrifying that they’ll allow him to destroy this city in the blink of an eye.” Dale told the Green Knight as he thought about the first atomic bombs. As an American Dale Grant had learned about those powerful weapons in grade school but it was only after he had entered university to become a historian that he learned the true power of those weapons. It was also when he learned what was honest truth and what was acceptable truth.

“How do you see this confrontation ending Lord Dale?” Bertilak asked.

“Let’s just say that at the end will be unexpected.” Dale told the knight with a soft chuckle. “David Pendragon is a man of imagination and vast power. These worthless knights and their Grand Marshal have pissed the man off in ways that no saine person would.”

As they neared where David had stopped, they both heard him chanting. “It seems that David isn’t going to give them a choice. I know that my Latin is a little rusty, but I could have sworn that last verse was ‘Commanded by Steel’ but don’t trust my translation.”

“You’re not far off in your translation sir. Though I don’t understand the reference. What are Steel Commanders?” Bertilak asked.

“It’s a name often used by our fellow historians to describe knights in our world.” Dale answered honestly. As David finished chanting a thick fog settled over the training field. Dale shivered as he felt the power that David had embedded in the fog. “A combination of Compulsion and Curse magic. With something else. It’ll take a god or goddess to break this spell.”

“Sir?” Bertilak asked in confusion.

“Oh nothing Sir Bertilak. I was just commenting on the spell that Lord David crafted for this little confrontation. It’s a rather complex combination. I can tell that there is a Compulsion component and a Curse involved.” Dale explained as he took a draw off his pipe. As he exhaled Dale grinned. “It is the third part that I can’t quite figure out.”

“Let’s just say that if they’re still loyal to that bitch Eleanor after the fog lifts. They’ll wish that they were dead.” David snarled then chuckled. “And the part that you couldn’t figure out is in truth a second combination spell. Of transmutation and enslavement magic. Much like the Binding of Honor’s Blade spell that you used Dale. Only I added in a slight twist.”

“What kind of a twist David?” Dale asked his friend with his own chuckle.

“One that befits my less than moral leans old boy.” David chuckled. “Though I doubt Katherine will take too kindly to my twist. After all it’ll set the Women’s Rights movement back by several centuries.”

“I don’t even want to know.” Dale chuckled as the fog slowly started to lift. “It’s almost show time old boy.”

“That it is.” David snarled and turned to face the now confused knights. “Hear me Knights of the Gray Wolf Order. I have come on behalf of her Majesty Queen Katherine. You have a choice to make. Continue to follow the false Grand Marshall Dame Eleanor of the Light and her rebellious ideals or swear your absolute fealty to her Majesty.”

“And if we choose to remain loyal to Grand Marshall Eleanor?” One knight asked only to fall to her knees screaming in pain. The three knights standing next to her backed away in fear as the woman’s armor began to slowly shrink crushing her to death with the thing, she loved the most. Her knightly armor.

David did nothing as the woman died before everyone’s eyes. When the woman’s screams finally ended the second half of his spell kicked in. The armor that had once been her greatest pride and joy now became her tomb. The metal liquified before their eyes and took on the from of the woman’s naked body. Once it had taken on her shape it slowly rose to a standing position on a pedestal of ivory marble rooted deep within the training field. Across the pedestal a warning slowly took from.

“Read these words and understand your fate should you betray Queen Katherine. This is not ideal threat but a promise to all who stand on this field.” David told them then turned away. “Time to return to her majesty’s court.”

“Are you not going to accept their oaths of fealty?” Sir Bertilak asked.

“Nope. That is for Queen Katherine to do. I’m merely her instrument of her royal judgement. The choice is theirs to make. Either way these knights no longer present a threat to Queen Katherine’s rule.” David snorted as he and Dale head back towards the castle throne room.

As the two college professors turned mages left the training field behind Sir Bertilak the Grean Knight chuckled. He looked over at the naked metal statue and its position on the training field. Then looking out at the gathered knights he pointed to the statue grinning.

“Heed these words of warning. I doubt that you’ll receive a second chance. Swear your fealty to Queen Katherine or pay the price.” With that warning he turned and walked away singing a soft tone to himself. As neared the crest of the hill overlooking the training field he stopped and looked down at the milling knights. “I give them about two hours before the first kneels before the Emerald Queen to their oath of loyalty.”

-----tbc-----

up
240 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Damn

What the hell did that spell do?

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

I think that spell was cool and served it's purpose

Julia Miller's picture

Either swear allegiance to Queen Morgana or face being killed and moulded into a metal sculpture. No way to misinterpret that one. And it seemed that Darwinism chose the subject.

I am remind of a quote from an old DI

wolfjess7's picture

Your comment about Darwinism reminds me of a quote from an old Drill Instructor I knew. 'You can't fix stupid. Not even with ducktape and super glue.'

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

good stuff!

things are moving to the final confrontation.

DogSig.png

So far this upcoming battle is going to end a few kingdoms

Julia Miller's picture

I can't believe that these Aos Sídhe Queens think they can win again Queen Morgan, but I guess we will see what happens. Queen Morgana is consolidating her power in Avalon, so hopefully, they can sue for peace by the time Queen Morgan rides in on a dragon.

Not much of a choice really,

Not much of a choice really, serve or die. They wouldn't get a chance to fight her.