Jihad 5.2

Printer-friendly version

Jihad
5.2 Tunisia
by Red MacDonald
Copyright © 2013 Red MacDonald
All Rights Reserved.

The Faithful, North African and Middle Eastern Islamic nations, are plotting to seize the oil resources of the Middle East. By controlling the earth's oil and its major trade routes, they plan to bring the world to its knees. Then, when the entire world is kneeling, the Faithful of Allah will read to them from the Koran, preaching the message of Islam, the True Faith. The Faithful will stop at nothing to achieve their goal. But how far will they go? And how many lives will it cost?

Strait of Sicily-5x50.jpg

5. Straits of Sicily

5.2 Tunisia

* * * * *

5.2.1 Gambit

Ahab Dingjatha stared hungrily at the large situation display that covered the entire wall of General Yusuf Kamsanni's headquarters. His plan was working!

He'd spent countless hours talking with his peers in Algeria and Libya hashing out the details. He'd spent more hours cajoling the military into adopting a plan proposed by a civilian. Then he'd fought every ship's captain along a thousand kilometers of coastline to embark. A few had refused. They had been shot, and his own officers of the Interior Department had taken control of their ships. Every ship that sailed was under the control of officers he could trust to carry the ploy to its maximum extents. Nothing could interfere with his plan. Nothing!

Then, the exclusion zone was announced. It almost wrecked his plan entirely. If the Yankees could see all the way into every port then he’d have no chance to surprise them.

His diplomatic protest in the UN had given him back his opportunity by acknowledging the territorial waters of the North African states. That gave him twelve miles to work with, plus every meter his fleets could push further into the sea.

His officers had performed brilliantly. For almost a day, they had sailed ships both large and small into the Straits only to be chased back into territorial waters. The three navies had also performed well. Unlike the civilians, they only had to receive and obey their orders. They did not have to understand why they were doing it, so long as it was done. At the same time, the Interior Department's officers had gone to great lengths to create a truly chaotic situation, misinterpret orders from the patrolling vessels, while mixing and mingling to confuse any watcher. As the situation grew worse, more warships were called into service.

Then, the second stage of his deceit began to unfold. His agents on the rust-bucket, Ar-Cabril, sailed into the exclusion zone northeast of Pantelleria Island. After two hours of fighting the balky engine, they opened the five fifty-five gallon drums of oil and set them afire. The smoke and heat on that small a ship made it appear that it was engulfed in flames. Their emergency calls came in loud and clear.

Dingjatha began to admire the skillful officer who managed to not only sound as though he were panicking, but also overcame years of training in radio techniques. It was a wonderful performance. After a while, Dingjatha wondered if the officer had overplayed his hand. Yet, as though on queue, the radio ceased transmitting and the response to the mayday was heard. It would work!

General Kamsanni, who had been sitting phlegmatically at Dingjatha's side, suddenly sprang into action. The Americans had passed Cape Bon, and they were in the jaws of his trap. Kamsanni's VisiPhones blinked with changing images as faces appeared. His orders were given and acknowledged, and then new faces appeared.

Dots representing aircraft popped onto the screens, moving very rapidly. Then, the warships began their sprint into the Straits, and the overtaking aircraft zoomed past them towards the American fleet.

Now it was Ahab Dingjatha's turn to sit back. The ancient Ar-Cabril was maintaining a steady stream of nonsense, while the Gulf of Hammamet sailed across the American's bow forcing them northward into the waiting grasp of the Libyan subs. His fleets were in position and sailing to the attack, while two hundred planes from three Islamic countries bore down on the small carrier battle fleet. He had done all he could. The battle was in Allah's hands!

up
101 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The trap

Now the question to pose is which side is the side that is actually walking into the trap? Well, based on my training and experience it is the U.S. Navy that has actually set the real trap. They have determined what the Islamic moves were going to be before they actually struck and came up with counters for those moves. Mean while, the Islamic forces are all happily going along with what their superiors have ordered them to perform without deviation. None of the Islamic forces have any plan in place for if their plan talks with Murphy and am willing to bet none of them have the authority to deviate from the master plan without orders from on high. To wit, if they deviate from the plan there are "Minders" present to shoot them in the head.

Russian Dolls

Yes, indeed, Payter. It's a bit like Russian Dolls. It's wheels inside of wheels, with traps and counter-traps springing to life, hiopefully, to catch the opponent off guard. I would hope that the US Navy succeeds, but then I am prejudiced.

I'm pleased you are enjoying this. Once again, I thank you for your comment.

Red MacDonald

Training

and initiative can make all the difference in the world between defeat and victory. There has been much talk about the two military models, the old Soviet doctrine, and the more initiative driven US military's. When a Faithful sees something going off the tracks he either does nothing, that's not his job, or if he's really on the ball, he asks for instructions.

A US sailor simply fixes it or even takes action to take greater advantage of the situation. What's going to happen when those allied ships and planes begin unloading all of their Anti-air missiles is an open question.

Pilots tend to be a more independent bunch, but as 911 pointed even half trained ones can be suicidal. A lot of those Faithful pilots are not coming home. So will they break off the attack in the face of determined defense?

The subs are of course the wildcards in all of this.

The Faithful surface naval combatants I'm not too worried about unless they get very lucky. They're going to find all the clutter from all those other vessels are going to work against them particularly when the radio and radar jamming cuts loose in full force. They're going to be blind limited to their old Mark one eyeball, but the allied air and surface units are going to be able to see them. It's not going to be pretty.

Cry havoc and let loosen the dogs of war!
For what we are about to receive, may the lord MAKE US TRULY THANKFUL.

Take your pick!
hugs
Grover

PS: And my personal favorite "Nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won."

Exploitable weaknesses

There are times when any military asset is vulnerable.

Carrier aircraft are at risk a short 1-2hrs after taking off and reaching station–they need to refuel unless they tanked up immediately after launching.
Aircraft carriers are especially vulnerable when doing flight evolutions.
Subs are vulnerable as soon as they move to fighting depth. If ASW choppers are actively pinging and have been dropping passive sonobouys in a grid pattern the chances that a torpedo will be successfully launched before the sub is found drop to nil.

Seems like I heard a phrase...

Sounds like a "Target Rich Environment".

I'm betting on the Allies in this one. Great story so far!

Thanks!

Abby

Battery.jpg

So who is setting the trap?

The Americans know they are running into it and have assets in place and ready to fight. I think the African forces are in for an unpleasant surprise here, though there will be losses on both sides. The matter of initiative and training has already been brought up. Also, a quote from somewhere I've read but won't even attempt to do more that paraphrase is that 'One thing the Americans are very good at is making war'. These next few chapters should be really interesting.

Maggie

The quote

Yes, I have used that quote quite often and have even used it in my comments in previous Jihad episodes. That quote is from a former Soviet Union Field Marshall back in the late 60's, early 70's. It was brought up as a teaching moment when I attended Basic Training back in 1981.

Nintendo Army, Airforce, Navy

Where are these assets?
Have they been phased out of the military of the future?