Jihad 6.02

Printer-friendly version

Jihad
6.2 Israel
by Red MacDonald
Copyright © 2013 Red MacDonald
All Rights Reserved.

The Faithful, North African and Middle Eastern Islamic nations, are plotting to seize the oil resources of the Middle East. By controlling the earth's oil and its major trade routes, they plan to bring the world to its knees. Then, when the entire world is kneeling, the Faithful of Allah will read to them from the Koran, preaching the message of Islam, the True Faith. The Faithful will stop at nothing to achieve their goal. But how far will they go? And how many lives will it cost?

Buhayrat.jpg

6. World War

6.2 Israel

* * * * *

6.2.1 Judaydat

Second Brigade had lagged behind the advance, trying to recuperate from almost three days of continuous battle. They'd followed the Twelfth Brigade up the road from Shahba at a leisurely pace, letting the "Laggards of Fiq" lead the way for a change. During the day, they all had at least eight hours of sleep and something resembling a shower, as well as some hot food. It had done wonders for everyone's morale. The battalions had also received some badly needed reinforcements, bringing them back up to strength for the first time since Butmiyah.

Jake Hiram's Impala rolled up next to David's. The colonel leaned out of his command cupola, cupped his hands against the wind and shouted, "We've got the easy part for a change. Twelfth is heading straight for Najha to force the Awaj River. We're going to the salt marshes to cut off the Hijanah salient. We'll be on guard duty while the rest attack Damascus. Not bad duty really. We've done all the real fighting so far. It's about time they did something.

"We'll be pulling out of this parade shortly. We'll follow First Regiment which is going to Harran al Awamid. Your objective is Judaydat al-Khas. Third will be behind us, heading for Hijanah. We'll protect the army's right flank, unless the Syrians have learned some significant mountain climbing skills in the past few days." He laughed at his joke and sped away.

An hour later, Major David Weissman was leading his battalion towards the northeast, staring at the maps of the salt marshes of Hijanah and the route east of them towards Judaydat Khas. The brigade's maneuver plan looked beautiful on his maps. One blue arrow gracefully arched through Hijanah, while two others diverged to the east and split towards Judaydat and Harran. It was pretty, graceful and neat.

But, David was worried. He didn't like the plan one single bit. First Regiment was going west of the Hijanah salt marsh while his regiment and Second were traveling east of it. The plan went against all his training, knowledge and skill. "You don't split your forces in the face of a superior enemy," he fumed. Yet, that was exactly what they were doing. If the Hijanah salient was filled with enemy troops, it was a death trap.

Three hours later, at dusk, Second Brigade was in position. It was called military twilight. It was just dark enough that the human eye could not see color, yet not dark enough for night vision. However, the time was perfect for the Israeli troops. The combination of their low-light goggles, their day-night fire control and superb training gave them all the advantages. They had every advantage, except perhaps the most important one ... surprise.

David's battalion was on the left, next to the salt marsh of Hijanah, protecting his regiment's left. He couldn't imagine anyone trying to move troops into the salt flats. It would be almost impossible to maneuver once in there, but that didn't mean that it couldn't be done. After all, he'd scaled Mt. Ammar, and that was supposed to have been impossible, too.

The code word came over the command frequency, and the battalion's first four companies moved out in battle formation. Sixty tanks and armored vehicles led the way, closely followed by Impalas and Rapier anti-aircraft units. The fifth company followed closely behind, either to take advantage of a break-through or to stop an enemy attack anywhere along the front.

A star-shell illuminated the formation, and then another and another. Electronic irises snapped shut immediately, protecting the eyes of the crews as they searched for the source. The radios were silent, demonstrating the superb discipline and training of the troops. Somehow the lack of any kind of recognition of the enemy's activities was disconcerting.

David informed Regiment of the star-shells, then settled into this seat sweeping his night glasses back and forth. A shot rang out to his right ... a single rifle shot. The pitch was wrong. It couldn't be one of theirs. More star-shells. Another rifle shot. A bright light in the east! Just the moon rising over the crest of Dakwah.

"Movement on the left! Tanks!" his lead company reported. David was about to give the order for his reserve company to move up when a second clarifying report came in. "Sorry, Sir, they're ours. It's First Regiment coming around the marsh."

David reported his link-up with Second back to HQ. "Thank God!" Colonel Schwartz exclaimed. "The tough part's over now, lets push ahead to our objectives."

'So,' Dave thought, 'I wasn't the only one worried about splitting our forces. The old man had been worried, too.

An hour later, David saw flashes of light off to his left, and heard the distant thump of heavy guns rolling across the land. First Regiment was attacking Hijanah. He tuned into their command net. It was relatively quiet and orderly. No one reported heavy equipment, artillery or major points of resistance. Two machine gun nests had been routinely taken out, and twelve Syrian prisoners had been taken. Routine? No resistance? This couldn't last.

"Major," it was Third Company, "Judaydat just ahead. No movement."

"Weissman to all companies. Judaydat immediately ahead. Deploy troops. Let's move in just like we practiced. Keep your heads up and your eyes open. Let's go!"

The leading tanks and armored fighting vehicles moved ahead slowly, surrounded by scurrying grenadiers. Impalas followed some distance behind, bringing up the heavy weapons crews, while the mortar crews and the Rapier assumed defensive positions.

"Second Company approaching the edge of the town. No firing, no resistance." Similar reports came in all along the line. He reported the initial contact back to HQ.

"Be careful, Davey," Colonel Hiram warned. "We know they're out there somewhere, and we haven't heard anything about the Iraqis in several hours. Just do it by the book and keep me informed."

A burst from a heavy machine gun sent some grenadiers scrambling for cover. A Badger answered with its seventy-three millimeter and the firing ceased. Ten minutes later, the captains reported that they'd passed completely through the small town. They reported one casualty. A grenadier had been knocked down by a little old lady when he had surprised her coming out of her privy. She had attacked him with her cane, and it had taken two soldiers to hold her back from beating the grenadier.

David had to laugh. If every Syrian had fought like her, the IDF would have never made it over the Golan! He reported back to HQ, "Mission accomplished. Judaydat taken. Awaiting orders."

"Hold your position. Dig in, bed down and get some rest. Tomorrow could be a busy day."

It was the best order he'd received in days!

up
79 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice to see more of this - but could you enlarge the map?

This time, I find it difficult to follow the maneuvers on the map. Some of the names are hardly readable. So unless it breaks some forum rules, could you enlarge the map by a few pixels?

Bigger map?

Hi,

Thanks for your comment.

I don't know the answer to that. I will look at the map, and perhaps I can redraw it to make that area more legible.

Let me try a few things, and update it. There will be more stuff happening in that area, so it would be important for all my readers.

Again, thanks for the heads up.

Red MacDonald

Time

Now that WWIII is officially on all the Israeli's really need to do is be in a good position to defend in depth. Even if Turkey in this time-line did become more radical I suspect that there is no way in hell that they are going to side with the Iranians and the Iraqi's. The Shia of Iraq also would need to worry about a faction in their own country that is very leary of the Arab factions of Iraq. I am talking about the Kurds who are also in Iran, Turkey and Syria.

In fact, if Turkey in this time-line is still a signatory of the NATO Alliance, they are required by their treaty obligations to declare on the "Faithful" The North African's attacked US and Italian forces before a declaration of war which counts as an attack on Turkey. As the Iranian-Iraqi-Syrian governments then declared war on the US and it's allies then this also obligates the Turks to declare on them as well. As the Brits learned at Galapoli and the North Koreans and Chinese learned during the Korean Conflict, the Turks are not to be thought of lightly.

The Kurds aren't Arabs,

The Kurds aren't Arabs, they're more closely related to the Farsi (Persians).

I suppose they would still have their enclave that they'd carved out after Pappy Bush decimated Saddam's tank regiments in Kuwait. And I'd have to assume that with the conflict they'd undoubtedly call on their tribal relations in Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Syria and Turkey to help increase the size of their real estate holdings in Iraq and Iran.

Correct

That is why I brought it up. It is amazing that so many Arab governments have distain for the Kurds. Especially when you concider that a major hero of the Muslim faith during the Crusades was not an Arab but a Kurd. And that man is Suliman.

New Map

Hello Everyone,

One of my readers suggested that I redraw the map of Syria to enlarge the area.

I hope this is better.

Red MacDonald

Jordan

Jordan is another unknown here. Are the Iranians and Iraqi's going to respect sovereignity or will they be like the Germans in 1940 and invade like they did Belgium and Luxemburg? Will they stay out because Jordan has no resources of their own or will they take Jordan just because they can? Are the Jordanian's going to declare neutrality in all this? Jordan in this day and age does not have a very large military. In fact, populuation-wise, there are more Palistinians in Jordan than there are Jordanians.