Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 243

Printer-friendly version

Easter Falling Off A Bike.
by Angharad
part 243.

Stella's cooking was well received and I cleared up the dishes, popping them in the dishwasher. She was talking with Tom, or was that flirting with Tom? He was old enough to be her father, but that was between them.

Simon phoned a few minutes later so I became busy with talking to him. Apparently some business with US banking was messing up the system for everyone and he was having to work harder to achieve the sort of profits he usually produced.

Some UK bank was in trouble as well and had to be helped by the Bank of England. I was so glad I didn't work in that environment, although presumably the situation would affect everyone in time. Within a few days everyone was going to understand what sub-prime mortgages were, although up till now I'd never even heard of them.

Then a French bank went down seven billion euros, through one trader. A phenomenal amount of money. It seemed the system was going down the pan. I was worried more for Simon than anyone else. I appreciated it could mean that I lost my rather generous salary, but I'd lived before it and doubtless would after.

That Friday evening as I snuggled with Simon, I had missed him, he told me about how tight things were. I asked if we could still afford to go to Bristol to see my dad.

"Oh God yes, I mean I won't be able to change my car twice a year or buy you one for your birthday. It's just the big things we'll have to watch."

"Maybe I should resign my job at the bank, that would save them loads."

"No you carry on, you have a film to make, maybe give Des a call and see if he's around this weekend."

"I can't believe you are so casual with him."

"Why? He's all mouth and trousers."

That wasn't the impression I got but what did I know. Maybe he doesn't fancy Simon quite so much. I would call him in the morning and just before we left for Bristol. I'd spent the afternoon making soup and bread to take with us. I was looking forward to seeing Daddy.

I slept better having Simon there, felt safer I suppose. However, we were up at six and after showering and making myself as attractive as I could, we breakfasted and left at eight, the back of the car full of cakes, soup and bread.

We went back to my old home and checked the mail. There were a few things we needed to sort out. Simon agreed to help me with some of it. Despite the fact we describe him as a buffoon, he isn't, he knows his way around the banking and finance laws like no one else. This gives him some knowledge of general property and tax laws, so he is quite useful to me at times and in this case, to my father.

We drove to the hospital, thankfully they are very relaxed about visiting times. Simon walked in carrying the food and Daddy recognised him, he perked up then seemed to droop when he didn't see me.

"Vere Affy?" he kept saying.

"Cathy is coming don't worry, she is alright."

I was actually talking to the ward sister, who told me that he'd missed me and had relapsed a little. She knew I was having an operation, but not what. I chose not to enlighten her, but told her I was recovering well.

"You look really smart today."

"Thank you, I like to look good for my father."

"I'm sure he appreciates it," she said smiling.

I don't care if he doesn't, he's going to get it anyway, I thought to myself. I'd prefer to keep him on board but it isn't essential and he now has more to lose than I do.

I walked in and Daddy's face lit up, he started calling, "Affy, Affy."

I hugged and kissed him. "Now according to the sister, you have been awkward over food and drink, plus you haven't always taken your medication. Now we've brought some food for you, but I have a deal to make. If you promise to behave in future, then once a month, depending upon how well you are and providing I'm actually physically able to make it, I'll take you out. Today, we're going to take you over the pub because it's such a nice day."

He held out his hand to me and he cried, I hoped with joy.

"Mmmisss vou," he said.

"I've missed you too Daddy. Are you happy to agree with our little arrangement?"

" 'Ess," he said and nodded.

"Remember, if you play the nurses up and don't eat and drink enough, or take your medication, the deal is off. Do you understand?"

"Ess," he nodded.

"Are you happy with it?"

"Ess," he nodded.

"Right, lets get you wrapped up for the great outdoors."

We put a warm coat on him and smothered him in blankets. I was delighted to see Simon helping in a very caring way, lifting him and tucking the blankets in very gently. I knew he'd make a wonderful father, except I'd never be a mother.

After we deemed he was lagged sufficiently, we took him out of the ward, Simon calling, "Hold on tight pop," as he pushed the wheelchair.

We went to the pub near the hospital and ordered a round of drinks.
"Are vou etter?" Daddy asked me.

"Am I better?"

"Ess," he nodded.

"I'm recovering quite well. I can't drive yet let alone ride a bike." He laughed at the last bit.

"Are vou appy?"

"Yes, Daddy, I am very happy, thank you for asking." It meant a lot to me that he had thought that much through.

" 'Ampin," he said to Simon.

"Ampin, sorry pop, don't understand." Simon looked at me and I didn't catch it either.

" Ubbly, ampin."

"Ubbly?" I looked at him, was he calling me ugly?

He made like he was drinking something, " Ubbly, dink, ampin."

Simon suddenly beamed, "Champagne?"

"Ess!" said Daddy, clapping his hand on the arm of the chair.

"To celebrate Cathy's completion?"

"Ess, Affy's ole."

As this could mean a number of things, none of which I wanted to discuss, I didn't ask for clarification. However, Simon had no such worries.

"Do we mean Cathy's now whole, or just Cathy's hole?"

I blushed while Simon and Daddy laughed their socks off. Simon went off to the bar while I went out to the loo before I thumped one of them. When I got back, there was a bottle of Moet on the table and three fluted glasses.

I sat back in my seat and said quietly, "If anyone mentions hole or other homophones, I am out of here and I won't be back."

"I'm not a homophobe," said Simon, "and I'm sure your pop isn't either are you?"

"Simon, I didn't say homophobe, I said homophone, words that sound the same."

"Ah gotcha!" he smirked, he had heard what I had said.

"Simon, don't wind me up or patronise me 'cos I didn't go to a public school."

"I wouldn't dream of it my darling," he said still smirking.

"Simon, don't push your luck, my skin is feeling quite thin today, so I don't need the aggro."

His expression changed immediately and he apologised.

Daddy picked up his glass and said, "Do Affy."

"To Cathy," Simon added.

I blushed some more and thanked them before drinking a little of mine. I think I've said before, I don't especially like champagne, to me it's like fizzy cider only rather more expensive.

"So are you paying for this then?" I asked my father as I held the glass of bubbly.

"Ess," he nodded.

"We have sorted that out between us," said Simon.

I said nothing but gave him an old fashioned look. I had some idea how much a bottle of champagne would cost over the bar of a pub. Part of me was pleased that my father was making gestures of support, but when Simon deliberately misheard me and said, 'homophobe' and excluded my father from the term, I almost felt like correcting him. Until I forced him to accept me as I was or lose me, he was definitely homophobic.

We ordered a meal and I got the job of helping my father to eat his. I didn't really mind it, playing the loving daughter bit, because it was largely true, he was my dad and despite his behaviour in the past I still loved him. In some ways because he seemed to be trying to change, I possibly loved him even more than before.

He seemed to enjoy his curry, a smell I seemed unable to avoid with Tom's predilection for them. Simon, had salmon and I had Dover sole which was delicious when I wasn't feeding Daddy.

When we pushed him back, the fresh air and alcohol sent him off to sleep and I pushed him back while Simon walked alongside me, his arm around my waist.

"I love you Cathy Watts," he said, "and I'm getting quite fond of popsicle too."

I smiled back at him and managed a peck on his cheek as we walked. He made to stop for a proper kiss but I nodded at Daddy and we carried on walking. He was still asleep while we slipped away and back to the car. Once there, Simon pulled me to him and kissed me passionately.

"I wuv you Caffy," he said.

"I wuv yous toos," I replied and kissed him again.

"What was that about your dad back there?"

"Just some previous, you know leopards and spots."

"Wouldn't it be better to let that go. That was Charlie not Cathy."

"We shared this body, I felt the beatings he got."

"I know, I'm sorry, in my simplistic way I want us all to live like happy families, and he does seem to be trying."

"Gestures are cheap, if he didn't need me, I wonder what he'd really be feeling, probably contempt or shame."

"In which case he'd be missing out from knowing the most wonderful woman in the world."

"What Stella?"

"Stella! No you, you nit."

up
155 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

He's trying

There may be some residual effects of long-held beliefs, but it seems to me that Cathy's dad is making an effort to be accepting of her status. Now it's time for Cathy to try to let go of her own anger. A tough thing to do, as I know all too well. "Do as I say, not as I do."

Dang, no new Mercedes for her birthday, that sucks!

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Well, Cathy's Dad Has Made A Friend

In Simon now, But Cathy might need to see that Lady Padre that helped her in the past. Mister Watts is trying to accept Cathy, but she needs to let go of the old pain and forgive him. She does love him, but it might be that Charlie needs to forgive his Father.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I loved this episode!

And, I agree with Cathy that "the bubbly" is vastly overrated!

Thanks very much for this wonderful episode.

Now, if you're not too busy, do you think you might possibly share some more of Charlotte's Tale with me, I mean us?

Please, pretty please with sugar on top. :-)

Annette

Charlotte?

I have read every part up to this point, and I don't remember Charlotte. Who is she? not Simon's step mother (Monica), or Jemima's mother (Samantha).......
They say when you get old, you lose three things: Memory, and....and ..... Sorry, I don't remember the other two

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Nothing New

From me, I meant! I wish I could, but I can't, think of anything new to say about your wonderful story-telling.

Your quality is consistently good and I thank you for it once again. I look forward every evening -- I even have a reminder set in my PDA each night for 9:00_pm, Eastern Time (GMT-5) to check to see if the latest part is in. You mentioned having guests in for the Easter weekend and, if you don't post for a few days, I'll suffer withdrawal symptoms but I doubt they'll be fatal or even seriously debilitating (although for an old lady in her late 60's ....).

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

It's amazing how much has happened

I've been gone just less than a month and I'm amazed how much has happened in your story.Bad Christmas wrecks,Stella getting out of the hospital,Cathys preop surgical anxiety,Cathys surgery and you even have Simon falling off a bike.I'm only disapointed by one thing out of all that reading.You didn't get Cathy or Simon a Trek (lol).Enjoy your Easter.Amy

I really think Cathy's dad

LibraryGeek's picture

I really think Cathy's dad has changed. How he droops if he thinks Cathy isn't there, how he perks up saying 'affy!' when she arrives, I really think he's changed. One can be as suspicious as one wants about what caused the change, and if it would have happened without the strokes, but the reality is that he's changed.

Yours,

JohnBobMead

Yours,

John Robert Mead

The date

I expected a time disconnect, it was pretty close for a long while after the series started, then drifted badly when it got close to Christmas and the surgery, and moved right along after while Cathy was in the hospital. As a suggestion it wouldn't hurt to mark the days now and again. As always though, I am enjoying the story.