My Mistake, Chapter 16

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 16
By: Samantha Jenkins

Susan led the way to the front door of the District office. Mom followed, and then us three girls with Doctors Franklin and Phillips bringing up the rear. The two police officers stood on each side of the door. I heard a car coming in fast and looked over to see another cruiser pull in.

“Mrs. Richardson, we were instructed to not allow you in the building.” One of the officers said. Susan looked at the officer.

“Officer,” She peered at his name badge; “Jacobson, Do you have a restraining order that has been filed by the school district, preventing any of the members of this group from entering the building?” I glanced over at the car that had stopped behind the other two cruisers.

“No, Ma’am. We received a call from a complainant that said to not allow you access to this building.” Officer Jacobson said. Mom obviously didn’t know either of these officers. I glanced over at the car that had stopped and saw Lieutenant Chang getting out of car. Mom heard the door shut and glanced over at Lieutenant Chang.

“Jacobson. Let them in. We don’t have grounds to stop them. Complainant isn’t in this building, she’s at the high school. I have Mullin talking to her now.” Jacobson stepped aside. Susan placed her hand on the door handle to open the door.

“Jackie,” Lieutenant Chang said, walking up to her. “What the hell is going on?” Mom looked at the Lieutenant, and then at Dr. Franklin who shook her head no.

“I’ll call you later, John, I can’t get into it right now.” John Chang looked from Jackie to Dr. Franklin.

“All Right, if you need any thing, call. You have the entire department looking after you guys.” Mom smiled.

“Thanks, John.” Mom followed Susan through the door.

#

“You cant just bar people from buildings because you don’t like what they are doing.” Officer Mullin said to Joyce Paskly. “Are you aware that you could get arrested for misuse of the public safety system, interference of police business, and probably some other stuff that the prosecutor would know of that I don’t? Joyce, you are done, you have cost your self your job...” Officer Mullin let the thought trail off. Joyce looked at him.

“I’m not allowed to file a complaint because I don’t want that child in my school dressed that way, I have to accept it and go on? That’s bull shit, Officer, and you know it.” Joyce swept her arm across her desk, knocking the papers and monitor for the computer to the floor. It hit the carpet and the case cracked exposing the wiring inside. “You’re right, I should probably clean out my desk. I have probably lost my job.”

“And added a few criminal charges to the mix. You’ve screwed up today Joyce...” Officer Mullin left the room.

#

The seven of us walked up to the receptionists desk, Mom letting Susan do all the talking.

“We would like to see Mr. Gallagh, The Superintendent of the Takoma County School Board.” The Receptionist just looked at Susan.

“Do you have an appointment?” She asked. I briefly wondered how many people tried to come see the Superintendent with out an appointment.

“No, But I did just call and talk to his Administrative Assistant, Joy Phelps, who said that we could see him.” The receptionist picked up her phone and dialed a number.

“Joy did you just speak to a...” She looked at Susan.

“Susan Richardson” Susan said. I felt Katie take my hand and give it a squeeze. We were no longer playing in the minor leagues. I looked around the lobby of the District office. It was a rather drab area, with only a few fake plants.

“Susan Richardson?” I heard the receptionist ask. I glanced at her. “Meet Mr. Gallagh in the conference room on the second floor, Ok, Thanks.” She hung up the phone. “Go up the stairs to door, go through it and the conference room will be on your right.

”Thank you.“ Susan said with a smile. It was the first time that I had seen her smile since we left the school. Neither one of the mothers were very happy about the way that this was turning out. Susan turned and walked up the carpeted stairs, at the top of the stair case there was an oak door, which Susan opened and walked through, with the rest of us following. She kept walking until she got to the conference room, which she entered without knocking. Inside the room, was the Superintendent, and three other people. I wasn’t sure who the other people were but I hazarded a guess and figured that they were probably the legal team.

”Mrs. Richardson,“ Mr. Gallagh said. ”I am Dave Gallagh, Superintendent, and this is our legal team. Joe Jamski, Sally Courtright, and Thomas Jones.“ Susan shook every ones hands.

”I’m Susan Richardson, This is Jackie Smith, her son and daughter,“ she motioned to me first, ”Josh, who is now going by Morgan. and Jennifer. My daughter Katie, and Morgan’s Doctors, Julie Franklin and Robert Phillips.“ I watched the faces of the legal team when Susan had introduced me. The three of them shared a knowing glance.

”Have a seat.“ Mr. Gallagh said. We all sat at the table opposite from Mr. Gallagh, and the school district’s legal team ”I understand that this has something to do with the Johnson ruling.“ It had been Mr. Gallagh and this legal team that Susan and four other lawyers from her firm had taken on, and won.

”Yes, it does.“ Susan said, pulling some papers out of her bag. ”This morning, Jackie Smith, her son and daughter, and my own daughter went to see Mrs. Paskly at the high school with documentation from Morgan’s doctors stating that she is going to be attending school as Morgan. The resistance that Jackie Smith met this morning is very similar to what Mr. and Mrs. Johnson faced two years ago. I’m not sure how long Mrs. Paskly has been in the district, but I do know that she had absolutely no clue what we were talking about. Even after being presented with both the opinions of the judges, and the changes to policies in the school district, she still refused to allow Morgan to enter into the population of the school, even going as far as trying to get the School Resource Officer to arrest both of Jackie’s children and my daughter on Truancy charges, even though they were in the school.“ Susan paused. ”Mrs. Paskly was also informed by Morgan’s doctors that if she were to continue attending school as Josh, that it would probably end in Josh committing suicide. Mrs Paskly then went on to defame Dr. Franklin as a half rate Psychologist, and said that if Josh did commit suicide, then it would only be Jackie’s fault. I had hoped to not have to sit here like we did two years ago, but here we are. I could file another civil suit against the district on behalf of Jackie Smith, and given the precedent set by the Johnson case, we’d win. That case was bad publicity on the district, and this one would be even worse. The staff at the high school was shaken up pretty well by the last one. I think that Joyce Paskly has realized that she has probably already lost her job over this. She called the police and tried to get them to bar us entrance into the district office. I want to know what you’re going to do about her?“ Susan looked at the four people on the opposite side of the table.

”The Doctors orders are enough for Morgan to attend as Morgan, regardless of what the principal says.“ Sally Courtright said, ”She can’t stop that, regardless of the Johnson ruling.“

”You’re right. I remember sitting through the assemblies after the ruling. Mrs. Paskly said that I would get laughed at, called gay and a faggot, would get beaten up. What she didn’t realize was that I had taken the lead role in a play that the school had put on. I was a girl for that role. I walked among my classmates for pretty close to a month wearing skirts and dresses. The girls treated me as one of them, and the one boy, out of all of the boys in the school who did try something, was quickly quashed by some others, and then dealt with according to the disciplinary rules of the school district. The high school is pretty tight knit, and I would have had more than my sister and Katie to watch my back.“ I paused. ”Mrs Paskly seemed to think that I would fail, but, I’m not the kind of person to just give up when the going gets tough, and if I’m right, I won’t back down.“

”Then why is she trying?“ Mr. Gallagh said. ”I can see that you are the kind of person that won’t just stop because someone wants you to, Morgan. I can also see that you know that you are in the right here, and that is why you are sitting across from me, rather than at home crying.“ Mr. Gallagh smiled at me. ”What was the play?“ I was slightly taken aback by the question, not expecting it.

”The Wizard of Oz, I played Dorothy.“ Sally Courtright’s mouth dropped.

”You were Dorothy?“ She asked. ”I had no idea, and to be honest, if I didn’t know what was going on, I would think that you were a girl right now.“

”Yes, I was Dorothy, and I loved every minute of it. I would do it again, and as a matter of fact, I am. This is a play, and the whole world is my stage. Do you guys know what my goal in life is?“ I asked. The four of them stared at me, not knowing. ”My goal in life is to help people like me.“

”My next question,“ Susan said. ”Is are we going to resolve this here and now, or am I going to have to file these papers with the Takoma County Municipal Court Clerk?“

up
134 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

"Aww I love the smell of

"Aww I love the smell of napalm in the morning." Thank you for sending out the next chapter. My reading is content for the day.

I thought you were going to say . . .

"I love the smell of asses burning", 'cause Mrs. P's ass is surely smoking right now. ;-)

M

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

you've obviously like a movie

statement, rather than having actually smelt it. But, I get your drift.

Actually napalm or of more recent napalm-B smells like styrofoam & burning motor oil combined, not only lingers, but, it's use is akin to dressing someone in a rubber suit, dousing them in gasoline & setting it a fire, VERY nasty stuff to say the least. even a small amount is likely to cause 1st degree burns on body & the worst of it is if you try to rub it, you just spread it to a larger area to be burned.

I know it's a funny phrase, but reality ... isn't so nice

Strange

I've always wondered how people like Mrs. Paskly get into positions like school principal with that sort of temper, this can't be the first time she has lost control. Whoever hired her screwed up and needs to be disqualified from the hiring process.

Poor Morgan, she has really taken a beating through all this, mentally.

M

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

So Does Morgan Live Happily Ever After...

...or does ol' Wac-A-Principal bring in the clergy and the Morality Squad?

Sounds as though for now at least, Paskly is listening to reason and leaving, knowing that she overreacted to the point of making her removal inevitable. But if it becomes a public incident, she'll probably have enough community support to sour the situation for everyone involved if she wants to -- and why wouldn't she want to? At least she'd get to prove herself right about the disruptive nature of Morgan's change, even if she caused the disruption herself.

Which makes it even more imperative for the district executives to defuse this as fast as they can, and if possible, to silence Paskly before this gets into the media (though I'm not sure the latter is possible short of a court order, which wouldn't seem easy to get).

On the other hand, the threat of criminal charges might keep Paskly quiet. (But if they throw the book at her anyway, she's back to having nothing to lose by escalating.)

Fun story.

Eric

Wac-A-Principal deliberately vandalized school property ....

in front of officers of the court, IE police and called in the police to carry out actions contrary to the law. She should be DRAGED out in handcuffs as she has demonstrated violent behavior. Maybe she'll get a lesbian lover in jail.

Very good chapter and they should not back off now, period. The school board knew of this for several years yet hired someone who blatantly violated the previous court ruling. Management/hierarchy respects strength, to back down now would encourage more backsliding. That the district had THREE lawyers in the meeting says a lot, they are terrified and rightly so.

John in Wawatosa

John in Wauwatosa

I'm thinking there is more

I'm thinking there is more to Mrs. Pasklys' reaction than we know. As Mr. Gallagh said, why is she trying, when she knows she can't win? There must be some history here, I think.

I am amazed at how fast these are coming out, but I love it! :)

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Why take the fight further if the School District capitulated

RAMI

Why subject Morgan and her friends and family to possible trauma by taking the fight further.
At this point it is obvious that the School District has agreed to allow Morgan to attend school as Morgan. It is also likely that the principal will be fired, since she acted in violation of school policy and did it in a reckless manner. To possibly prevent her from doing something stupid, the School Board should pay her her salary for the rest of the year, on condition she disappears.

If challenged, the doctor will have a hard time, justifying her statement that Josh would be suicidal if not allowed to present as Morgan after only one visit. Morgan never expressed that. I also think Morgan should be upset about her being viewed in that light, because Morgan is made of tougher stuff.

Why did Morgan's mom need to act in a confornational manner? Knowing that the situation could have gotten out of hand, couldn't she have made an appointment with either the principal or the superintendent to explain what is happening?

Mom is now viewed as a saint, standing up for her child, but just 3 or 4 days ago (according to the story) she was gung-ho on embarrassing her son and possibly subjecting him to embarrassment that might well have led him to commit suicide. She appeared quite ready and willing to subject him to the 5 month punishment.

I wonder what will happen next?

RAMI

RAMI

Morgan has seen Dr. Franklin

Morgan has seen Dr. Franklin in the past. How often is something that I'm not quite sure of. I think that Morgan set her self up to get caught on purpose, knowing what would occur. Morgan was setting herself up for what was needed to continue her life. In Dr. Franklin knows exactly waht she is doing, she's been at it as long as Susan has...

Kayla

Morgan and Dr. Franklin

RAMI

You are the author, so I will defer to you.

However, Dr. Franklin only saw Morgan one time for a gender related matter. Even she was initially taken aback when she first saw Morgan in her office. Her first experience was with Josh, a boy, under strain because of his father's death. From what has been said, nothing about gender was raised in those earlier sessions. Also those sessions apparently stopped, so Dr. Franklin did not think that Josh was suicidal.

I am not questioning Morgan's cry for help. She probably is on the right path to discover her true self.

Susan is also surprised to discover that Josh is dressing as Morgan. Katie must not have told her. I guess that Katie’s parent’s must be divorced. Her father learned of Josh/Morgan while they were shopping. It would be strange that he did not mention this to his wife when he got home from work. It must be a bad divorce if he did not even call his daughter’s mother to let her know what is occurring.

That Susan is immediately able to swing into attorney mode, only goes to her ability. She has not had the time to consider if Morgan is doing the right thing. She is not yet or only partially aware that Morgan and Katie are an item. As to her opinion that Morgan is doing the right thing, she is not qualified to do so.

It is interesting that Katie’s mom was the lead attorney on the test case.

If you think that I do not like your story, because of my comments, that is not the case. I am enjoying very much and cannot wait for the next chapter.

Rami

RAMI

There is a lot that Morgan,

There is a lot that Morgan, Katie and Jennifer have not told me yet, so don't feel bad. I am beginning to think that the first few times that Morgan dressed, she didn't get caught. I think that there is something about Josh that Dr. Franklin knows more about what is going on than she has told me. I don't' know about Katie's parents. I think the suprise was more from seeing Morgan dressed as such at school. Every one has seen Morgan dressed before, because of the play.

The little bit about Katie's mom being lead counsel on the Johnson case was a bit of a shock to me as well.

This story long ago hit the point where the characters took over it and I am just acting as the method to get their story out...

Samantha

(I just realized that my last statement makes me look like I need to see Dr. Franklin. ;) But then again, it's been a long day...)

Evidently, Irate

Got her position because she had yet to meet a situation such as this. Quite possibly, she is from another system, and came over due to a similar incident, but was hushed up to save the state embarrassement.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

personally

I can't see how a principal could get to said position w/o being aware of the legalities involved. maybe in the 80s or 90s but in the early 2000,s ?? NO WAY even if she were bigoted, farse, she'd likley known to go off like such would landed her in a giant stew pot.