The Scoobies Do: Chapter 9 - Lexi's Cooking

Printer-friendly version
The Scoobies Do
Chapter 9 - Lexi's Cooking

by Jennifer Sue

Copyright © 2009 Jennifer Sue

 
Chapter 9
 
Bea dropped Lexi off at the Fuhl home at 251 Fern Street at four in the afternoon. Lexi wore a simple slightly flaring denim knee length skirt with a two inch denim ruffle at the hem. A snug pull-over sweater demurely accentuated her padded bra. Knee socks that matched her sweater and Mary Janes completed her ensemble. While Bea and Cyn spoke for a few moments, Faith and Lexi hugged. After putting the ingredients for the meal away, they headed up to Faith's bedroom. Lexi enviously drank in the room's girlish decor.

"I love the room, it is so you! Faith, I need to get some ideas to redecorate my bedroom from boy drab to girl sparkle," Lexi bubbled. "Do you mind if I make some notes and sketches?"

"Go ahead," Faith smiled. "If you'd like, maybe we can all go shopping Monday afternoon after you see your shrink. We'll help you redecorate your room and get you some school clothes."

Just then the phone rang. Cyn called Faith and Lexi downstairs to take the call. It was Gabi calling to invite Faith and Izzy to the New Year's Eve party. Faith was delighted she and her brother had been invited. When Gabi learned Lexi was visiting, she told her that Bea had already okayed Lexi and Def attending the party. Cyn agreed to call Moms and Pops to get the full scoop on the party, it’s setting, and chaperones and then discuss it with her husband.

At five, Faith and Lexi headed to the kitchen to make supper. Together they made the simple but delicious Beef Stroganoff. While they were working, Izzy came in the back door. The girls turned to see who came in.

"Hi Lexi, looking good," Izzy smiled as he passed through the room. "Hi Faith, whatever you're making smells good. I hope there's plenty for seconds!" With that he stepped into a short hall and bounded up the steps to his bedroom.

Faith was perplexed.

"I met Izzy this afternoon when he came over to my house to play video games with Def and the guys," Lexi explained. "Mom and I had gone to The Crateful Bread to get this recipe and ingredients. We called home and the guys said they wanted pizza. Mom told them to call in an order and we stopped and picked it up. I was worried about how they'd react when they saw me. They smelled the pizza and stampeded into the kitchen. Mom gave them plates and I gave them Cokes. they attacked the pizza like a pack of ravenous wolves. None of the guys even noticed me and I was wearing a skirt!"

"Guys are so blind," Faith sighed.

"Tell me about it," Lexi chuckled. "They finished up and went back to their games and never noticed me. That upset me so I went into the game room and stood in front of the monitor. That got their attention but all they did was yell at me to get out of the way. Mom finally told them to pause the game. I scolded them and they apologized. We talked for a bit and I broke down in tears but Def hugged me. When I settled down they all said they'd look out for me at school. Then I gave them hugs."

"That's great," Faith nervously smiled. "Now we only have to worry about my father."

Shortly before the meal was ready, S. Newt Fuhl came in the back door after fumbling with the latch. Standing unsteadily, he clumsily hung his coat on a hook. Weaving to the stove, he stopped and inhaled the aroma of the meal, then looked at the girls. "Schmells good," he said with a definite slur. “Whosh your friend?”

"Daddy, this is my girlfriend, Lexi. Lexi, this is my dad, Sylvester Newton Fuhl," Faith introduced trying to hide her embarrassment.

"It's good to meet you," Lexi smiled nervously noting the smell of stale beer and cigarette smoke wafting from him.

"Damn it girl, how many timesh do I have to tell you I don't like people to know my firsht name. Introdushe me as Sh. Newton Fuhl," he slurred. Smiling and nodding to Lexi he continued. "My friends call me Sh. Newt Fuhl." With that he weaved his way to the refrigerator where he pulled out a can of beer. Cracking it open he took a gulp and headed into the livingroom.

Lexi realized that S. Newt Fuhl had obviously stopped at a bar on the way home.

"He's not always like that," Faith apologized as she tried to hold back tears of shame. "Mom is going to give it to him for coming home like that, especially when he knew company was coming."

Just then Cyn Fuhl's scolding voice could be heard from the living room. S. Newt Fuhl yelled back. Although the girls couldn't understand the words, they could tell the argument was heated. Lexi felt embarrassed for Faith who was obviously near tears. Reaching out she hugged her friend.

"Damn it dad, you're drunk again," Izzy yelled as he came bounding down the steps after hearing the yelling. Then he stood in the hall and shouted into the living room. "If all you want to do is get drunk every night, why do you bother to even come home? Get a room at the damn bar and leave us in peace!"

Cyn's voice could be heard concurring with Izzy. In a few moments, Izzy stalked into the kitchen and placed himself in front of the girls as S. Newt Fuhl came staggering in. Cyn followed scowling.

"Don't bother coming back," Cyn declared in a cold voice. "You've embarrassed us for the last time. I'll pack your clothes in garbage bags and put them at the curb. If you don't pick them up by Friday, they'll go with the other garbage. Now get out!"

"Damn ungrateful bitch," S. Newt Fuhl mumbled as he pulled on his coat and stumbled out the back door.

Cyn Fuhl clenched her fists and fumed at the closed door. Her chin was set in determination. Once she heard the him start his truck she picked up the phone and called 911. "I'd like to report a drunken driver in Hickstown... My name is Cynthia Fuhl... Yes, he's driving a tan Chevy pickup, license plate WYZ-475... He's heading east on Third Street and I believe he's heading to the Dew Drop Inn on Main Street... thank you."

With that she hung up the phone and turned to face the others. Seeing that Faith was quite distraught she opened her arms and Faith burst into tears as she ran to her mother.

"Lexi, I'm sorry you had to see this," Cyn declared as her anger settled. "Unfortunately, this has been happening more and more often. I've repeatedly talked to him but he refuses to admit he has a problem. Izzy, thank you for helping."

Izzy stoically nodded his head.

"Izzy," Lexi whispered and nodded her head towards his mother and sister.

It took a moment for Izzy to understand, then he joined in on the family hug.

"I'll call my mom and have her pick me up early," Lexi said as they finished their hug.

"Please don't," Cyn replied. "We're still a family and need to get on with our lives. Besides, that smells delicious and I think we could all use some good conversation about the table."

"Okay," Lexi smiled. "I know Izzy can talk with his mouth full."

Cyn looked perplexed as Izzy blushed, until he explained about the pizza and meeting Lexi earlier in the day. Faith, Cyn and Lexi chuckled about how boys see only what they want to see.

The meal was as delicious as it smelled. Under the watchful eye of his mother, Izzy ate with at least a bit of decorum although he did have three servings. The conversation centered on school and what changes would happen when Lexi showed up.

Just after the meal finished, the phone rang. It was S. Newt calling to ask Cyn to come to the jail to bail him out as he'd been arrested for drunk driving and resisting arrest.

"You can rot in jail for all I care," Cyn answered with a slight snarl in her voice. "Why should I bail you out of jail when I'm the one who called 911 to report you were driving drunk?"

She hung up the phone as the line went dead. A faint smile of smug satisfaction filled her face. "I should have done this long ago," she said as she turned to the others. "I've been seriously considering it for a long time but tonight was the straw that broke the camel's back. I guess I'll have to find a lawyer to see where I need to go from here."

"Eddie and Gabi's dad is a good lawyer," Lexi said. "He's the one who set everything up to bust Coach Strapp and the school for abuse. He's also helping me transition."

"I met Faye Bull yesterday," Cyn answered. "I'll give them a call tomorrow."

Lexi called home and explained what had happened so Bea arrived alone to pick up Lexi. Cyn invited her in. "The kids are getting along just fine but I need to talk to you. It's nothing concerning Lexi, we're all fine with her. Just as you wanted to be honest about Lexi, I need to be honest with you about my husband."

Bea listened as Cyn related what happened earlier and her decision to finally divorce her all too often drunk husband. The women consoled each other and before they knew it an hour had passed. Bea agreed with Lexi's recommendation that Cyn seek out Lyle Bull as her divorce lawyer.

As they gathered the kids to say goodbye, Cyn stopped them. "I almost forgot, Gabi called and invited Izzy and Faith to a New Years Eve Party at The Dog House. It'll be a coed sleep-over. I know Lexi, Def, Gabi, and Eddie will be going as well as the other three Scoobies. I've decided to let you go if you'd like."

"Yeah," Izzy exclaimed. "That sounds like fun!"

Lexi and Faith squealed in delight and hugged each other.

After saying their good-byes, the Kahns headed home.

*****

When he tore out of the driveway, S. Newt Fuhl was enraged because Cyn had thrown him out. The fact the kids were there and that Izzy had so forcefully supported Cyn only added to his fury. When the cop tried to pull him over he sped off and panicked. He'd already had five DUI convictions and had lost his license six months previously. The last two DUI convictions had additional convictions of driving with a suspended licence. The first had cost him 30 days in jail. The second was still pending sentencing but would most likely be six months in jail. Knowing he'd face permanent revocation of his license if caught again, he tried to outrun the cop. During the 15 mile pursuit he lost control on a sharp turn. Skidding sideways the passenger side slammed into an old oak tree. The tree didn't budge and the pickup wrapped around the stately old tree like a horseshoe, demolishing his beloved pickup. Miraculously, other than a few bruises, he was unhurt and crawled out the shattered drivers door window. When Officer Fetterman of the Hickstown Police attempted to arrest him, S. Newt took a few swings at the cop. Easily subdued, he'd been handcuffed and locked in the rear seat of the patrol car until the paramedics and ambulance arrived. After a quick trip the hospital for an emergency check-up which showed no injuries, he was taken for arraignment before district justice, Gerald Atric. Despite his wizened shuffling old man appearance, DJ Gerry Atric retained enough intellect to remand S. Newt Fuhl to the county prison in lieu of $500,000.00 bail. The bail was so high because of his previous record and obvious belligerence. That's when he used his one free call to ask Cyn to bail him out. The arresting policeman, Officer Fetterman, gladly took him to the county prison. During his subsequent court appearance, S. Newt Fuhl's continued denial, defiance and anger would eventually find him repeatedly convicted of contempt of court and finally being shackled. The frustrated angry judge of the County Court of Common Pleas, Judge Barb Dwyer, sentenced S. Newt Fuhl to 15 to 20 years in the state prison where he couldn’t see the sky without being surrounded by barbed wire.

*****

Thursday morning Cyn got up early and called every credit card that had S. Newt Fuhl listed as a user to cancel the cards. She followed up on each card by sending e-mails and printing out the notes and snail-mailing the copies to the appropriate addresses. During her first break at the Farmers Bank of Hickstown, she called Lyle Bull, Attorney at Law, to set up an appointment late that afternoon. During her lunch she withdrew everything from the joint bank accounts and used the funds to open new checking and savings accounts in her name only.

As Cyn worked, Faith and Izzy did as she'd told them. The pair packed up their dad's clothes. Izzy pulled the clothes from the closet and drawers and laid them carefully on the bed. Faith neatly re-folded everything and carefully placed it inside doubled garbage bags. Both worked silently thinking about their disintegrating family. They were sad to see their dad go but at the same time felt relieved that he would be out of their lives. They understood all too well the issues their father faced and his refusal to seek help.

S. Newt Fuhl had always been a heavy drinker. When Cyn was promoted to manager at Hickstown Farmers Bank, she earned more money than he did. Even though she wisely never mentioned it, he felt belittled to be the low wage earner in the family and his drinking grew worse. As his job performance tumbled, his employer tried to get him into AA as did his family. Like many alcoholics, he angrily denied he had a drinking problem and refused to seek help. The excessive drinking and resultant poor job performance finally cost him his job. For the last year he'd been working for Hickstown Automotive washing cars, but even they were considering terminating him because his drinking continued to increase.

As far as Izzy and Faith were concerned, their dad had shot himself in the foot. They didn't hate him, but could not trust him. Unless he could prove he'd reformed, he would be out of their lives. They finished their sad task just before lunch and put the bags in the attic as they knew with their dad in jail he’d be unable to retrieve them.

*****

After they'd all eaten lunch in their individual homes and despite the cold, Gabi, Eddie, Lexi, Def, Faith, and Izzy rode their bikes out to the Dog House where they met the rest of the Scoobies as well as Moms and Pops. Lexi, Def, Faith, and Izzy couldn't believe how nice the Dog House was and looked forward to the New Years Eve Party. They helped decide what games they would have available and what music they'd have. Except for Lexi who had to leave at 4:00 to get ready to meet the Goodes, they spent rest of the afternoon playing games and talking.

*****

Lexi didn't bother to change from her jeans and sweater as Liv had told her to wear jeans so she could show her the family's barn. Bea picked Lexi up at home and took her to The Crateful Bread for the next batch of ingredients. Choo Choo was delighted the first meal had been so successful despite the family issues.

As they approached the Goode farm, Lexi smiled and pointed out an immaculate mini-farm. "That's where I was this afternoon. Moms and Pops live there. The Dog House is in the garage out back."

The Goode farm was right next door. A three line sign out front read GREEN ACRES - GOODE FAMILY - ORGANIC FARM. They pulled up to the huge stone farm house right at five. Lexi knocked on the door and waved goodbye to her mom as the door opened.

Liv greeted her with a hug. "My parents are out in the barn milking the cows," Liv explained. "Normally I'm out helping mom and dad while my grandmom prepares supper but they let me off because you were coming."

"Are they still milking," Lexi asked. "I've never seen cows being milked. Do you think it'd be all right if you took me out?

"Sure, as long as supper is ready by seven," Liv answered. "That's why I asked you to wear jeans tonight."

"It only takes an hour to prepare the meal," Lexi answered eagerly as she wanted to see the farm at work.

"Let's go," Liv replied as she led Lexi through the house.

In the kitchen an older woman stood at the counter working some dough. She looked up from her task and smiled at the duo. "Ah, you must be the one making supper tonight."

"Yes Ma'm," Lexi replied.

"Gram, this is Lexi Kahn," Liv introduced the pair. "Lexi, this is my Gram, Bea Goode."

"It's nice to meet you, Lexi," Bea said. "Liv has told us a lot about you, all of it good."

"It's nice to meet you too, Ma'm," Lexi answered managing to keep her nervousness under control as she wondered if Liv had revealed her secret.

"Ma'm is too formal," Bea smiled. "I know it's awkward for a youngster to call an older person by their first name, so please, just call me Gram."

"Okay, Gram," Lexi smiled.

"Now, let's put away these ingredients so you can get out to the barn," Gram chuckled.

After donning their coats as they went out the back door, Liv led the way to the barn located about 50 yards away.

They entered a low building adjoining the barn. "Wow, all this stainless steel makes this look like it's a hospital," Lexi exclaimed. "I never expected something so bright and clean on a farm."

"This is the milk room," Liv explained. "That big tank is where the milk goes after it comes out of the cows. It keeps the milk from becoming contaminated and chills it. This floor is hosed down with antiseptic spray every day and the entire room is done once a week."

"That's a lot of work," Lexi replied.

"This is the easy part," Liv chuckled as she led the way through the room into the barn. "Come into the barn, that's where it gets nasty."

They entered a white vestibule that had a shallow tray of green liquid on the floor. A fan created a slight vacuum. "This is a buffer area," Liv explained. "The fan maintains a negative pressure to keep odors and insects from getting into the milk house. The pan contains an antiseptic wash. We have to step in it to disinfect the soles of our shoes before we go from the barn into the milk house."

"This is more complicated than I imagined," Lexi said. "But I guess it's all necessary to keep the milk pure."

"You got it," Liv chuckled as she led the way into the barn.

The musky smell of the cows and fresh manure slapped Lexi in the face like a wet towel. "Wow, that takes my breath away," Lexi declared as she blinked her eyes. "This is more like what I expected in a barn full of cows."

"You'll get used to it in a few minutes," Liv chuckled as she walked to the first line of cows. "Their heads are held in place by these metal rails called stanchions. They don't mind being secured because as you can see they have food and water available to eat."

"It's really clean in here too," Lexi marveled as she looked at the clean white walls and cobweb free ceiling.

"We wash the whole room thing down after every milking," Liv explained then with a giggle added. "The cows have absolutely no sense of manners when it comes to relieving themselves."

Lexi giggled at the joke as they walked along the line of cows until they reached the end, then headed down the wide aisle behind them. A second set of cows was in another row, the butts of the cows faced each other. Recessed troughs on either side of the aisle caught what the cows were dropping. Liv pulled Lexi back down the aisle a bit when she saw one cow raise it's tail. Lexi was a bit perplexed until she saw the excrement start plopping out of the cow's butt to plop in the trough. Small bits splattered, which would have hit them if they'd continued down the aisle.

"Eww, that's gross," Lexi wrinkled her nose.

"It's Mother Nature at work," a strong male voice laughed. "That right there is some of the best fertilizer in the world."

"Daddy, this is Lexi," Liv turned to her father. "Lexi, this is my dad, Seymour Melvin Goode."

"It's good to meet you, Lexi," he said as he nodded. "You'll forgive me if I don't shake your hand." With that he held up his gloved hands.

"I understand, Mr. Goode," Lexi smiled.

"I'm not old enough to be Mr. Goode," he replied. "And I don’t particularly like my first name, I’m just not a SEYMOUR. All my friends call me S. Mel, as in Smell Good. I think that's an appropriate name for a farmer!"

Lexi giggled. This man was so different from the man she’d briefly met last night. Neither liked their first name yet how they handled it was totally opposite. She already knew she’d like S. Mel Goode.

“I take it you’ve never been in a milking barn before,” S. Mel stated.

“No, this is the first time,” Lexi answered.

“Excellent, then I can teach you how to milk a cow,” S. Mel said. “If you’ll follow me, young lady, it will be my pleasure to instruct you in the ancient fine art of milking a cow.”

They headed out of the aisle into the next aisle where Alice and a younger boy were monitoring several what to Lexi appeared to be some sort of weird machine with stainless steel tubes and pipes and rubber bits hanging from the bottom of several cows. The machines were connected to glass pipes and she could see the milk being suctioned from the cows flowing through the clear pipes into stainless steel pipes that headed back to the milk house. The machines were making some weird noises as they operated. Alice smiled and nodded as Lexi followed S. Mel to the last cow in the line. The boy just looked at her with his brows furrowed in deep thought. It looked as if he was about to say something but Alice shushed him.

Lexi felt a bit uncomfortable as she wondered if he knew she'd been born a boy. S. Mel had made no indication that he was aware of her birth gender but the boy's reaction made her nervous. Taking a deep breath to stoke her courage she followed S. Mel. After all, the purpose of tonight's visit was to reveal her past to the family. She giggled as she realized Liv had been right, even with the deep breath she'd taken she no longer even noticed the barn odors.

"The first thing to do is make sure the cow is secured in position," S. Mel began the instructions while demonstrating and having Lexi copy him. "This is old Betsy. She's not as productive as the younger cows but she still hangs in there. You can see she's held in place by the stanchion but you could also tie a halter to a sturdy post. The next step is to clean the teats with soapy water or an iodine solution. I prefer to use warm, soapy water since it helps "bring down" the milk. Dry them, but don't rub or irritate the teats. Then place a bucket underneath the udder and sit on a stool or squat in a position that will allow you to move away quickly if the cow becomes uncooperative. Never sit cross-legged on the ground. Apply a lubricant such as Vaseline to your hands to keep friction to a minimum then wrap your hands around two of the four teats. This is the most difficult part, but once you master it, it's simple. It's sort of like learning to ride a bike, it's awkward and scary but once you have it, you can ride without thinking about it. Are you ready?"

Lexi smiled nervously and nodded her head.

"That's my girl," S. Mel praised her. "Now firmly squeeze the base of the teat. Squeeze down to push out the milk while maintaining your grip on the base of the teat so that the milk doesn't flow back up into the udder. Be careful not jerk or yank the teats. You must be gentle but firm. Keep your eyes peeled for swelling or redness on the teats as that can be the first sign of problems with the cow. Then you simply repeat the procedure with your other hand. Most people prefer to alternate right hand, left hand, right hand, and so on. You simply continue until the udder on the side that you're milking looks deflated. Experienced farmers can feel the udder to know exactly when all the milk has come down. Then you reach under to milk the other two teats."

Although she had some initial difficulty, with encouragement and minor corrections from S. Mel and Liv, Lexi soon developed a steady rhythm and the rattling drum-like beats of squirting milk hitting the stainless steel bucket rang in her ears. Before she knew it, she'd drained the udder. The tautly stretched hide of the udder when she'd began was now loose and a bit baggy.

"You did a fantastic job for a beginner," Liv complimented Lexi.

"You sure did," S. Mel agreed. "Now, while Liv and I finish here, why don't you go over to Alice, she'll show you how to use the milking machine."

Alice had been observing Lexi's efforts and was smiling broadly as she headed in her direction. "Looks like you did a good job," Alice smiled. "But you can imagine how long it would take to milk the herd by hand. That's why we use the milking machines."

"I can see that," Lexi answered. "But it was fun."

"We usually do Old Betsy by hand and use her milk for ourselves," Alice replied. "She likes the personal attention."

Lexi giggled at the idea a cow could like the attention of being milked by hand but realized Old Betsy had seemed rather content.

While they were talking the boy sidled up to his mother. "You don't look or act like a boy," he blurted out. "I think Liv is trying to pull a fast one on me."

"Johnny B. Goode," Alice scolded. "Mind your manners. Lexi, I apologize for him."

"That's all right," Lexi smiled. "I was confused by my condition all my life. My name is Lexi," she added extending her hand to the boy.

"I'm Johnny B.," he replied as he took her hand. "I'm sorry if I upset you."

"I'd be more upset if you hid your feelings," Lexi answered. "That's what I did for years and it will rip you apart. Besides, I want to thank you for recognizing that I am a girl."

"See, I was right," Johnny B. exclaimed. "You were trying fool me. There's no way she's a boy!"

"I am a girl," Lexi smiled. "But I was born with a slight defect. No one was trying to fool you. I do have a boy's body. But as you already see, I'm really a girl. I came over tonight because I want to be Liv's friend and I wanted her family to know all about me. I don't want to fool anyone."

"I still don't think you're a boy," Johnny B. said in a challenging tone.

"After supper I'll try to explain it to you better," Lexi smiled. "Right now I'd like to learn how these machines work."

Just then a thumping noise came from the end of the aisle. Lexi looked up to see an opening had appeared in the ceiling and some dust and bits of straw swirled through what had to be an open trap door. Just then an angled chute protruded through opening and jiggled about a bit before locking in place. Moments later a male voice called down "Heads up." Then there was a thump, a cascade of straw from the chute, and a SHUSH as a bale came sliding down to land in a cloud of dust. The dust floated across the room, and as another bale came down the chute, the cloud reached Lexi who promptly sneezed.

"Bless you," Alice said. "You do get used to the dust after a few years."

"That's Gramps," Johnny B. said. "He's sending down bales of straw to sop up the mess the cows leave." With that he pointed to the troughs at the sides of the aisles.

"It helps if you keep busy," Alice added. “Let's get started with your milking lesson."

Lexi sniffled as she smiled and nodded her head.

"Using the milking machines starts out similarly to milking by hand," Alice explained as she led Lexi to one of the units while Johnny B. worked the others. "You secure the cow in position just as you would for hand milking and clean and dry the teats in the same manner. Next you turn on the milking machine and allow it to build pressure. Hand-milk each teat a few times to let down the milk and check for redness. Release the pressure on the milking machine so that suction begins. Then place a suction device on each teat. You have to move quickly before the machine loses its pressure. Wait until the machine draws all of the milk out of the udder, which will become flaccid as you saw in hand milking. Then you turn off the pressure and gently tug the pneumatic milking cups from the teats. As you can see, the milking machine is suspended from the ceiling to keep it off the floor and away from any source of contamination."

Lexi was grinning from ear to ear as she assisted Alice disconnect the system from one cow and hook up another. Johnny B. kept a wary eye on Lexi as he tried to see if he saw any sign that she was a boy. Liv smiled to see her friend enjoying what to her was a daily chore.

"I hate to interrupt your fun," Liv said. "But we've got to clean up so we can start supper."

"Go on," Alice said. "I'll finish here."

"Thanks," Lexi said as she stood and stretched.

Liv led them over to a sink by the door to the milk house where they thoroughly washed their hands. "This is fun," Liv said as she flipped a switch activating a brush that spun and a vacuum that sucked away any loosened debris. She put her foot under the spinning brush and it cleaned the top of her shoe, twisting her foot she pushed the fronts and sides of her shoe, and finally the bottom. Then she repeated the procedure with the other foot. Lexi giggled as she cleaned her shoes. Both stepped lightly in the pan of disinfectant in the vestibule so as not to cause a splash.

They passed through the milk house and then outside to the house. It was only as the cold outside air filled her lungs that Lexi for the first time truly realized what the term FRESH AIR really meant. It smelled wonderful!

Grams greeted the girls as they entered the kitchen. The smell of freshly baked bread filled the room making Lexi's mouth water. "We'll serve some with supper," Grams smiled. "Do you mind if I watch? It's never to late for an old dog to learn new tricks."

"I'd be pleased to have you watch," Lexi chuckled.

Grams sat in a chair and picked up some yarn and began to crochet as she watched the youngsters. Together Lexi and Liv prepped the ingredients and started the meal. They talked about life on a farm and how the cows needed twice daily milking. It was a routine that could not be put off or ignored.

Prepping the meal was just finished by the time Alice, S. Mel, Johnny B. and an older man came into the kitchen, the mouth watering aroma fo the Beef Stroganoff filled the room. All four commented that the meal smelled delicious.

"Lexi, this is my straw bale tossing dad, Hertz Goode," S. Mel introduced the weather-warn but still robust older man.

"Call me Gramps like Liv and Johnny B. do," Hertz smiled as he extended a leather like hand. "I'm the one who made you sneeze."

"I'm pleased to meet you, Gramps," Lexi smiled as she shook his head. The grip was firm but by no means crushing.

While they were meeting, Johnny B. handed a large stainless steel thermos bottle to Gram who rinsed the exterior in the sink. As the farmers went to wash up, Gram opened the top of the thermos and poured Old Betsy's fresh milk into tall pre-chilled tumblers she took from the freezer. Lexi watched the procedure with interest.

By the time they had washed up, the table was ready and a tumbler of chilled milk sat be each place setting. Gramps led the group in a prayer of thanks and then they dug in. The talk was light and jovial as they ate. Lexi blushed and smiled at the repeated compliments her efforts had earned.

Lexi's eyes grew wide as she took her first sip of the milk. "This is so good," she declared. "I've never tasted milk so flavorful and delicious! It makes the milk we have at home taste bland."

"That's because it's fresh from the cow," S. Mel explained. "The milk you get in stores is pasturized and has most of the cream removed."

Everyone had a second portion of the Beef Stroganoff. Alice, Liv and Lexi took smaller portions as befits a girl. Hertz, S. Mel and Johnny B. refilled their plates.

When they finished eating, Liv and Lexi cleaned up, then joined the others in their living room. Alice apologized to Lexi for revealing her secret but explained she knew that while they might have some questions, Gramps, Gram, S. Mell and Johnny B. would accept her as she appeared.

"We're hard working honest folk who don't like people who are fakes or pretentious," Gram explained. "Alice and Liv both said you were a girl and we accepted their word. Everything I've seen only confirms that you are a girl."

Lexi smiled to see everyone nod their heads in agreement then proceeded to answer all their questions to the best of her ability. Everyone was impressed by her openness. Johnny B. accepted that Lexi was a girl but still didn't understand how someone can feel their body is wrong.

"I have something you can try that may help," Lexi smiled. "Take your shoes off and put them on the wrong feet, then walk around the room in them."

Johnny B. looked perplexed but followed her instructions. "This feels weird," he said as he finished a circuit of the room.

"Even though it feels awkward, your shoes fit on your feet and do the job they designed for," Lexi explained. "But you're right, they feel weird and even uncomfortable. That's what I feel like being a girl in a boy's body. Everything fits and does what it should but it simply doesn't feel right to me."

Johnny B. nodded. "I think I see what you mean now. Is that why you tried to kill yourself?"

"Johnny B. Goode!" Gram scolded.

"It's okay," Lexi smiled sadly. "Yes, that's why I tried to kill myself. I felt so wrong and weird I couldn't handle it anymore. But that was before I knew why I felt that way. It was only afterward, when I was strapped down in the hospital on suicide watch, that I finally understood what was wrong with me. Gabi Bull came into the room dressed as Abby from NCIS as Part of Operation Scoobies Treats. She saw right into me and told me I was just like her, a girl trapped in a boy's body."

"I know Gabi and the other Scoobies from school," Johnny B. said. "Everybody said Gabe was weird and I used to wonder why he used to dress as Abby. Then at Halloween he wore a skirt as part of his Abby costume and has been wearing them since and everyone calls him Gabi now."

"Speaking of the Scoobies, I spoke to Pops today," Alice said obviously referring to their neighbor. "He told me he'd put S. Mel and I in detention for a week if we didn't let Liv go to the Scoobies New Years Eve Party."

Liv and Lexi exchanged huge smiles.

"Can I go too?" Johnny B. asked.

"There's not enough room," Alice answered. "Pops said only 12 can attend and they have 12 lined up. What we can do is let you invite a friend over to spend the New Years Eve here."

Johnny B. was disappointed at not being able to go with his sister but obviously mollified by being allowed to invite a friend over.

"I just met Moms and Pops today," Lexi said. "They must be great neighbors."

"The best," Hertz smiled. "They're the reason we still have the farm. We're not a big operation and 30 years ago were having problems finding buyers for our crops. Moms and Pops advised us to go organic. At that point we were almost broke and didn't have anything to lose so we gave it a try. That was the same time Walt, Val, Arie, and Choo Choo opened The Crateful Bread. The organic and natural foods movement was just starting and we caught the wave. As The Crateful Bread grew and expanded they purchased more and more of our crops. Now in addition to Green Acres, we farm ninety percent of The Hundred Acre Farm. We supply The Crateful Bread with all their wheat, rye, and barley as well as a lot of their fruits from our orchard."

"I never realized how much is involved in farming," Lexi said. "If you have to spend so much time taking care of the cows how do you have time to do the rest?"

"Most of the work is spread out over the year," S. Mel replied. "But when it gets really busy we usually hire some school kids to help."

"We'll have to start looking for some good workers," Gramps said. "The one's we had the last two years were not worth what we paid them."

“That must have been rough,” Lexi said. “How many do you need?”

“It varies,” Gramps replied. “ During the spring and fall we need 2 or three on a fairly regular basis for a few hours a week. During peak times it goes up, but that’s only for a week or two at a time. That’s part of the reason we have problems getting good help. The good workers already have regular jobs and only the lazy ones are left.”

“Maybe you need to look for help somewhere different,” Lexi stated.

“Because of our needs we have to use school kids,” Gramps sighed. “But most of the high school kids won’t even think of working on a farm.”

“I bet a lot of kids from the junior high would be willing to work,” Lexi declared.

“Yeah,” Liv agreed as she perked up. “I hear a lot of kids complaining they need money but can’t get jobs because they’re too young.”

“You may be onto something there,” S. Mel said thoughtfully. “Since we’re a family farm, we could hire younger students as long as we don’t work them too many hours.”

“I think my brother and some of his friends might be interested,” Lexi said.

“Def would be good,” Liv said. “So would Eddie Bull, Izzy Fuhl and Tad Pohl.”

“They’ll be at the New Years Eve Party,” Lexi added. “Liv and I can say something to them.
Maybe I could be one of the extras you occasionally need.”

“That would be fun,” Liv smiled. “Maybe Faith Fuhl and Skye Wright would be interested too!”

“Don’t jump the gun,” Gram chuckled. “Not only would your friends have to agree to work for us but so will their parents. But it is worth investigating.”

The conversation moved on to discussions of Lexi’s role in the Scoobies Christmas Show and the Scoobies in general. Before anyone realized it, it was time for Lexi to go home. Bea and Ike arrived and spent several minutes talking to the Goodes. The Kahns were delighted that not only had Lexi been welcomed and accepted by Liv’s parents but also by her grandparents.
 

*          *          *

 
End of Part 9
 
 
To Be Continued...

up
94 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Scoobies Do

ALISON

'make me laugh and giggle and feel good.I mean the DA,
Gerry Atric!Will the defense Council be Arthur Ritus?
Levity aside,the lovely little explanations of Gabi's
and Lexie's transgenderism are tastefully handled and
could be used anywhere.Very well done,as always.

ALISON

I must agree with my dear friend Alison

Andrea Lena's picture

....Transgender issues and clever names make for an entertaining story. Just make sure the kids stay away from that reprobate couple that's been hanging around lately...you know, Mal Adaptive and his girlfriend, Miss Appropriation? :D


She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Jenny B Goode

I do like this but I feel the silly names thing was stretched to breaking point with the hopelessly contrived S Newt Fuhl and S Mel Good, that was a real stretch.
Also I know you Americans have a pretty shoddy legal system but are we to seriously accept 15 - 20 years Prison as a sensible sentence for Drunk and Disorderly, Resisting Arrest and such like? Surely they would have hit him with a lesser Custodial Sentence, or possibly Community service and probably insisted on him going into Rehab?
This was a very erratic episode - some great scenes and some real clunkers - I am also on Gabi withdrawal symptoms - We Need Gabi! :)
The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

I'm starting to suffer from The Scoobies Do withdrawal.

Amy_Daemon's picture

I really like this story, and hope to see more of it soon.

I do have one complaint. Because of it, I am now hooked on watching NCIS! And I agree with Gabi, Abby is an awesome character on that show. They should use her more.

A stranger is just a friend that you haven't met yet.