The Station's Late Nite Princess -chapter 08

Comments

Absolutely loved this chapter

Absolutely loved this chapter. It does look like Don's dad will be meeting his "daughter" sooner than later now; as I also believe will be the case with Blake, who will be meeting his newest female announcer very soon.
Lawence needs to be arrested and FINED fig time for his profanity on and over the airways. He is responsible for his actions and speech, even though he will not doubt get the station fined, he should bear the brunt of the actions in the end. This includes him losing his license to be a DJ or announcer ever again.
Each station has an overall license assigned to it; however the personnel who go on air are required to have their own FCC license that they must take a test for.
I know I have mine, and it is a lifetime license.

In 1988....

wolfjess7's picture

This chapter reminded me of something that happened in 1988 at a radio station in Fayetvile NC. One of the local DJ's made the mistake of dropping the F bomb while live at a remote. THe station was fined and the DJ had his license suspended for 6 months. Form what was reported later that DJ was latter fired and unable to renew his personal license. Something like this would be concidered as an attack against the station by a disgruntled ex-employee. Depending on how the FCC looks at it they could most likely forgive the station but still place them on notice. If there is a repeat the station is shutdown.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

I would also hazzard

Sammi's picture

a guess that the 'New Job' the lawman was doing to would ask him to no longer come.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

arghh!

Great episode. I so want to read it ALL RIGHT NOW! This is a really fun story.

I would love to...

wolfjess7's picture

Tell you what is coming next. However Snowfall won't even give me a glimsp at the next chapter.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

She is so secretive that I

She is so secretive that I swear she has armed guards nearby when she gets ready to write the story ;)

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Guards? Me?

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Guards? Me? *waves to the 6 man team to take cover*
Nah; no idea what you're talking about.....

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

crawls slowly across the yard.

wolfjess7's picture

*crawls slowly across the yard using a wooden stick to poke the ground.* I know there a land mines here somewhere. I already found two claymores, and one pungee pit. I just want a sneak peak Snowfall.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

OOPs

Sammi's picture

That sounds like our beloved ballerina model has side lined in extreme security systems


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Wonder ....

... if she'll be want to train Kendra and the maids to protect her from those that are trying to sneak into her place and peak into what is coming up? She could have Lyssa and Company train them as a one of Lyssa's ever popular favors that she trades.

Yay Dawn hits the air waves

Best chapter yet, although I am expecting even greater chapters to come.
Hugs
Francesca

- Formerly Turnabout Girl

yay!!!!!

dawnfyre's picture

SHE GOT ON THE AIR!!!!

perfect ending to my first day in recovery house from the surgery was logging on here and seeing Late Night Princess posted.


Stupidity is a capital offense. A summary not indictable.

yup, she got on!

Can see why it was the perfect ending to your first day in recovery house - I was grinning "like a jackass eatin' briars" myself at the end of the chapter. Glad you had the smile and wish you a speedy recovery from the OP, Dawnfyre!!
Hugs,
Miriam

Lux Noctis

Beoca's picture

This is why I like reading Snowfall - it gets extremely fun. This is a blast to read, but it is also going too well. Congratulations to Lux Noctis on being the new 10-2 DJ, and on picking a superb name. Now the question becomes what laws will the "Law-man" break to try and snuff out this light?

Will Lux Noctis be a Lux Aeterna, or a Lux Mortuis? (My bet's on Aeterna).

WOW Snow, . .

Best chapter yet. Reminded me of Allison Steel, "The Night Bird". NY City in the 70s !! Thanks for what you ARE !! jjc

johncorc1

Princess

The story is moving along at a nice steady pace. I think I can see ahead a bit, although you have left your self many alternate paths if you want to avoid the obvious. Good character portrayal, the players all have depth and personality. I look forward to more.

Thank you for sharing.

Yeah!

GypsyWoman's picture

You go girl! Dawn saves the night! COOL!

Kat H

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC

sugar_britches63's picture

chapter this week. Best chapter yet and I think I will say that with every Chapter to come. Lady Snowfall you are one of three reasons that I come here, especially on Friday nights. Here is to hoping that you continue to have these kind of characters and stories. I have compared you to others, you know who, and I believe you continue to meet or exceed those comparisions. Thank you again.

Charolotte

opinor ergo sum

Charlotte Van Goethem

sweet chapter

lots of fun and games , seems like a certain former DJ is really going to feel the pain .
I have a feeling that there's going to be no air time in his future. Perhaps Ryan needs an assistant grabbing the trollies at the value food store.
Dawn was live on the air for the 1st time and really nailed it from the sound, I wonder what the school buzz is going to be about a hot sounding Girl on the air ?
A certain Wrestler and his dad really put the mouths into gear before engaging brains * that's if they had them *
really cannot wait to see what happens next.

Matt

We all expected her to get

We all expected her to get the job soon but not that response to Law-less being a moron. That was classic and totally outstanding!

Snow, you have a wonderful way with words!

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

latest episode

All I can say is *wow* you rocked that one I wont tell folks that you hired me to be the guard.

Finally :)

Yay Dawn!! You go girl!!!

Carry on

Bobbie Sue's picture

Snow,

This was great! And you leave so many possible twists that a pretzel would get confused. I am really anxious to see what happens next.

Great story!

Way cool!

Lux Noctis gets her debut. Whatever happens about the f-bombs, Lux is sure to come out smelling like a rose. I suspect that she will have a big fan base very soon.

By the way, 87.1 is outside the FM broadcast band. It goes from 88.0 to 108.0 MHz.

Great story! I really like Don/Dawn.

This was one of your best yet!

D. Eden's picture

I especially liked the little side bar with the disgruntled girl friend, lol.

I'm not really sold on the name, Lux Noctis, though. It doesn't sing, and as the man said - it has to sing. Either way, Dawn made a big impression on a lot of people - and I would say a very good one. Well, except for one very immature and angry ex-DJ, lol. Wonder what the fallout from that will be!

Don's going to have fun explaining his new hours and occupation to Marty, not to mention his new persona. I wonder how long he thinks he can keep Dawn under wraps?

I can see dozens of complications evolving from this one night of work! Can't wait to see how this all pans out.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Dawn's Time Has Come

jengrl's picture

I think Dawn is now here to stay because I don't think she will be able to hide it from her Dad . Her popularity is only going to increase and make it more difficult for her to keep her identity a secret . Being that she is still under age and working 10PM to 2AM will require some kind of arrangement since she only just got her work permit as Don . It was also great to see Casey and his dad get their comeuppance from that female judge . It's like the woman who gets pulled over for speeding and thinks she can use her feminine wiles on male police officers to get out of a ticket until she gets pulled over by a female officer and realizes that trick won't work on her . I love this story and look forward to seeing each new episode!!!

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Yay, finally!

This chapter and the last were really satisfying, but set up enough expected consequences that it leaves me hungry again. This series is torture, but oh so much fun!

Oh SHE got the gig great

Oh SHE got the gig great lawman is spam .The girl rules the night.

WIN_20151023_13_56_29_Pro.jpg

Janitorial Work

I wonder if Don or Dawn knows anybody willing to do janitorial work part time. Things are going to get interesting really quick. I suspect Teacher Dana will catch on pretty quick, or maybe Angela because she is familiar with Don's voice talent. But I'm thinking Dad needs to know what's going on. If Marty discovers others knew what was going on while he was treated like a mushroom that will fracture or break the trust between father and son/daughter.

And sorry, "Lux Noctis" does not flow. She will need something easy to understand that will grab the listner's attention. Not many people take Latin these days. It's a dead language for a reason.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Problems?

Since others are voicing their opinion about Dawn's on-air name, I'll have to agree with them - just doesn't flow. Sounds more like a Roman Centurion than a young lady who "lights up the night". However, Don/Dawn has more potential problems to face.

It's already been mentioned, but being underage, she'll need a new work permit in Dawn's name. I assume the station will continue to pay Don since everything's already set up. Removing Don and putting Dawn on the payroll could prove problematic with the State. However, the most crucial thing to attend to, is Marty's immediate introduction to his daughter and the realization that he never really had a son. Without that, things will be a lot more complicated for Don/Dawn. If I recall correctly, Dawn's already had two close calls with being caught by Marty.

The station will also have to get someone to replace Don as soon as possible, if not sooner. Since 'Dawn' is now the 10 to 2 DJ and will now exclusively be the one showing up for work at the station, there's a small matter of co-ordinating an increasingly visible dual life with Don. 'Dawn' is already known around town by a few people, but now by virtue of her new position at the station, she'll become a minor celebrity ... so to speak and thus come to be known by a whole lot more people than know her now, especially if she ends up doin PR appearances for the station or the odd remote. Another thing the station and Dawn should wonder about is Lawrence. Is he really out of the picture or will he continue to cause problems, especially for his replacement ...'Dawn'? You know he will if he connects Don and Dawn, given how he felt about Don in the first place.

That said, I have to tell you this is one of my 'must-reads'. Thanks for writing this and please, carry on!

PB
.

Dawn needing work permits and Identification?

No "She" doesn't, since it is in reality Don doing nothing more than voice acting. Now does she need some permit/license to be on the air? I've no idea, but I would hazard to guess that there is some kind of provision for someone learning the trade.

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Work permits to be on air

I'd imagine it's like a lot of industries where employees fall under the license of the business - after all there's probably no regulated training industry to prop up the need for personal licenses, and it's not as if dawn owns the radio apparatus she's broadcasting on (now that requires a personal license)

Xx
Amy

Great chapter

Thank you for the great chapter.

Why so much "The world is falling" comments? As far as the radio station is concerned Don can continue on as Don; there is no rule that you have to use your own voice / name on the air as a DJ. Don could also pass it off as work towards his voice over career. So there are several ways Snowfall could take this story. Best of all; it's a story and not bound by any rules the author wants to ignore. So Dawn's future is still in her hands :-).

Late night princess

Well, Lawrence just settled his hash.

1) He will never work the industry again.
2) He is up for some Federal time rather than just a slap on the wrist. One or two foul mouthed explicatives are 'sometimes' forgiven. An entire sentence will get you a fine, especially if you show any kind of animosity in its use. The playing of music in the studios while foul mouthing on the air shows malice aforethought and will buy some Federal prison time as well as the fines.

3) unfortunately, the station will also receive fines and, if the event is deemed serious enough, the possible loss of license.

of course the station can sue Lawrence but from all I've read, I figure he doesn't have anything worth pursuing AND the Feds would get first crack at it anyway.

Fun fun. I'll bet Lawrence, if he's sober enough, is on the run. He best change his name because this isn't a misdemeanor and the Feds will pick up on him if he continues to use his present name.

If he had the new job cinched, then his new employer needs to be told of his actions before he can do the same to them. If course that means he will come back and try something else - maybe try to burn the station down or blow up the antenna tower?

Great story

Anesidora

Great Story

The future looks like Domina Noctus will be arriving in town very soon. (Night Princess)

Lux Noctis

With a kudo count of 374, why do you need comments? I get the feeling that Dawn is perhaps 5'2" and skinny?

Great chapter.

Gwen

I dont think Lawman would go

I dont think Lawman would go down well on Radio 4 before the Archers or the Shipping forecast. Use to love Terry Wogan on Radio 2 class one micky taker use to crack me up. Many a time stuck on M1 and Wogan taking the p.ss out of the good and great ,great guy.I hope she does well on the wireless this is a great story.. On Radio 2 there is a great laugh called Lisa Tarbuck excellent crack total radio rental.She may be as good as that if is she do well.I l
like radio I watch DvDs but don't have telly myself rather have radio.Lot of UK tv cack now.Keep up good workWIN_20151116_19_28_36_Pro.jpg

WIN_20151023_13_56_29_Pro.jpg

Wonderful story!

gillian1968's picture

I loved this chapter too.

Cool Air Name, too.

I'm sure a couple people are going to make more trouble, but the Dawn star is rising.

Gillian Cairns

Yep, I would like Dawn to call herself Dawn on air

I must admit I don't like the Lux name. Given Don is Don at school. I don't see why Dawn can't be Dawn on air. She would get the bonus from Blake for bring the supermarket in and she could be Dawn at home and work while staying safe at school as Don.

Her slacker mate who needs a job could take over Don's cleaning job and Don could have fun winding him up as Dawn at work with her friend not knowing she passes as Don at school.

Sophie
ps. please put this out on kindle when complete. I'll buy.

Just a thought...

...The supermarket manager and Ryan will recognise Lux as Dawn on the radio, and will I'm sure mention to Blake how great it is that Dawn is his new late night DJ.
So Blake will know that Don is Dawn.

Sophie

Anyone remember The Warriors?

The whole time I'm reading Dawn as Lux, Lynne Thigpen's voice is sounding in my head.

This has been a slow building, fun story! Love it!

I Wonder If Lawrence...

...has a future in live streaming on the Web. If the story spreads nationwide, there'll probably be people out there who'll consider him courageous -- some may even become sponsors. Notoriety gets you listeners, many of whom want to see what you'll do next. And an Internet carrier (unlike a radio station) isn't liable for the content provided by its users, though it can be pressured by social media into dropping them.

I may very well be wrong on this, but I have a vague memory that a new radio station's first license is provisional, or at least short-term. So there could be trouble there for the owners quite apart from any punishment this case brings.

Eric

I'm not quite old enough to remember Lux Radio Theater, except as a source of old-time radio broadcasts. (Wikipedia says it lasted until 1955.) I do remember ads for Lux Liquid soap. But the station's demographic probably doesn't extend to Boomers, so that's not really a concern. OTOH, I can't help thinking anyone named Noctis seeking a radio career would change it, or their boss would. (Sounds too much like noxious, for one thing.) And I'd expect a female using the hard-edge first name Lux to find something softer to follow it, unless she was a punk rock type.

A little bit of light

... makes a fabulous chapter of one of my favourite stories!

Another enjoyable chapter as the stations late-night-princess takes the reins. I love the name, and I also actually like the idea of dawn coming in to work as don, doing the cleaning and then just walking into the studio.

I know that Blake is going to have to be clued in, and brett knows - but who else? Will dana have been listening? Will anyone else? I'm sure it will be a minor mystery but I'm glad to read on!

Xx
Amy

Dawn is a schoolkid

Can she really do the 10 to 2am time slot?

Hung themselves

Jamie Lee's picture

When people keep trying to shoot themselves in the foot, without knowing it, one day they finally accomplish the task.

Lawrence finally did that. And he can't blame anyone but himself, even though he tries.

And the wrestler and his dad were hauled up short by their pitards. Both learned real quick they could walk on water as they believed. Awww...shame it didn't happen sooner.

And that judge, poor man wasn't popular with the ladies so resulted to blackmail. Aaannnddd it came back to bite him in the tush. Another who should have had it happen sooner.

Lawrence, Lawrence, Lawrence, what a maroon! Shows what little he has at the remote, then pulls that vulgar stunt at the station for his next shift. To top it all off, his girlfriend heard what happened at the remote. How in the world he had a girlfriend is a mystery. How he holds any job is an even bigger mystery.

Does Lyle know what he's done by putting Dawn on the air? It may be the late shift, but there are plenty who listen and will want to know who Lux Noctis is. So will Blake.

Others have feelings too.

Dons radio start for real

Funny how things go. I've just started reading Dick Van Dyke's book My Lucky Life in and out of show business, and read about his first job which paid less than his friends were getting working at the market.

Shortly before my seventeenth birthday, I spotted an ad in the local newspaper for a job as a part-time announcer at the local CBS radio outlet, WDAN… I worked after school and on weekends, from ten pm to midnight… I did everything; played records, read the news, gave the weather report, wrote my own commercials and even sold my own advertising, if a breaking story came in from New York, I patched it in myself.

It's just that here in the UK we have never had little radio stations like that, even the pirate radio stations in the sixtys were not like KVTX, 87.1. The Vortex. Of course our pirate radio stations really were at sea on ships, on everything from old fishing trawlers to old ferry's. I can still remember listening to Radio Caroline in the sixtys as a kid. I even had a Radio Caroline poster which my father would not let me put in my bedroom. Anyway all that makes Don's and Dick's story's kind of fun for me.

Sunrise

Yes, Sunrise or "dawn" is a light in the night!
Enjoying this story very much!

Danni R