Cynthia and the Wonderful Corrections - Chapter 2

Printer-friendly version

Cynthia and the Wonderful Corrections - Chapter 2

By Portia Bennett

 
Introduction: This story is the fourth and final story in a series within a series. The overall series is the “Cynthia Chronicles”. This story is directly connected to “Simoné and the Second Time Around”, “Marti and the Doppelganger”, and Marti and the Doppelganger – a Follow Up”. Several of the stories in the Cynthia Chronicles left some unanswered questions. In “Bobbie and the Glass Ceiling” two of the antagonists are regressed to childhood. Now we will learn what happened to them. In “Randi and the College Professor” Randi and Frank Deere adopt Betty, a bit of a rogue witch. Betty was regressed to early childhood, but she kept her powers. As it turns out, Betty was a real blessing. We also learn a bit more about Cindy’s first born who is the first new wizard in probably close to a thousand years. Then there is a question that has been floated about. What about death?

Remember Betty? She was the young witch who tried to break up the romance between Randi Lewis and Frank Deere. She didn’t know there were other witches and had never had any formal training until she found a book of programmed learning for witches. She doesn’t understand her power and makes some significant, far reaching mistakes. Betty is given a second chance, and now she is the adopted daughter of the two people she tried to break apart. Things are going quite well as we shall see.

 


This work is copyrighted by the author and any publication or distribution without the written consent of the author is strictly prohibited. This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance of the characters to persons living or dead is coincidental.


 

Chapter Two – Children and More Children

Martin started walking when he was just a bit over 13 months old. His sister started a month later. This was May and June of the year following their births. Donald Alfred was eight months old as was Cynthia Anderson. Bobbie would win the (British) Open in just a little over a month. She had played in two PGA tournaments as warm ups, and finished in the top ten both times. Her game was right where she wanted it.

Randi and Frank Deere were expecting their first. They had made the decision to start a family as soon as possible after they got married, and it didn’t take long. Betty, now four years old and officially adopted by the Deeres, had turned out to be a real blessing. In many ways, she acted like a twelve-year old. The suppression of her previous memories had been only partially successful. At best, they had been smoothed over. Her previous ‘R’ and ‘X’ rated behavior wasn’t totally hidden from her, but she didn’t dwell on it. She would never have to be told about the birds and the bees; however, the burden of her past behavior for the most part was no more. She was loved, she was still magic, she had Marvin, and soon she would have a little sister. This was something she eagerly waited for.

It hadn’t taken her long to realize what a joy families were. One of these days she would find the right young man, or perhaps he would find her. They would have children surrounded by love, and there would be many others for them to play with from their extended family. She had it all worked out, and this time there was no avarice involved.

“Mommy, do you need any help with dinner?”

“Sure. Set the table for six. Gramma and Grampa Lewis are coming, and so is Aunt Marti.”

“I like Aunt Marti. She showed me some neat tricks. The Wizard says it was okay.”

“I thought you were watching Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood.”

“I was, but it’s over. He was such a nice man. I wish I had watched him before.” Betty got a bit pensive, with a faraway look. Randi was thinking about that previous life Betty had experienced in that church home. The children who resided there were not allowed to watch “Educational TV” without the approval of the sisters. As Mr. Rogers was a Protestant minister, his teachings weren’t appropriate for good Catholic children. At least they weren’t in Betty’s universe.

There had been a time shortly before Randi and Frank got married when Betty began to realize ‘in depth’ what had happened to her. It bothered her briefly until she realized what a blessing it had actually been. She was getting instruction on how to be a better human being, and how to be a better witch. She was surrounded by people who knew what she had been through, and those people loved her. They loved Marvin, too. Marissa Lewis’s magic hadn’t changed him one bit. Then there were all those cats. Silky and Marvin, a ferret, were best friends. Queen Maddie was definitely in charge among the families’ familiars. Betty saw her frequently. Then there was ‘Willy the Giant’. He was with Charli. With the exception of Phantom, who was Terri’s associate and Willy’s son, he was twice as large as the other cats.

It was shortly after Randi and Frank’s marriage that Betty lost the baby talk. Marissa fixed that when she saw how difficult it was for Betty to try to converse. She made a few corrections, and Betty was able to converse without sounding like an infant. At the same time though, Marissa strengthened the acceptance for Betty that she was just four years old, even if she was a bit precocious. Betty never thought she was being punished. She just knew she was being given a chance for a wonderful life; a life that was hers to develop in the best way possible.

They had recently moved to Boston as both Frank and Randi were involved in academics: Randi working on her PhD, and Frank was working with Avery Mankowitz on several physics projects. Randi was happily showing her first pregnancy. She couldn’t be more pleased.

“Mommy, tell me about Aunt Bobbie and Aunt Cindy.”

“Well, they have been best friends since they were little girls. That’s not exactly right. They were in elementary school when they met.” Randi said avoiding the obvious. She hoped that the discussion was not going where she hoped it wouldn’t.

“Remember when I told you that you and Daddy were my angels because you saved my life.”

“Well, yes. Why?”

“You never told me how Aunt Cindy and Aunt Bobbie saved your life.”

This was going to be very difficult, Randi realized. Then she realized what had happen when she told Frank about her origin. Of course, that time, he’d pretty much figured things out when he read the headstone.

“Frank, I think Betty and I need to take a trip. Would you like to come?

“I guess, where are you going?”

“To the place where you proposed to me.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, I don’t see any alternative. Betty needs to know the truth. I think she’s old enough, even though she doesn’t appear to be.”

Betty was watching her parents with a bit of a quizzical look.

“That is a rather long drive, and it is afternoon.”

“Let me make a phone call

It took only a second to reach The Wizard via her cell phone. “Your Wisdom, Frank and I would like to take Betty to the cemetery outside Bridgeport. I think she needs to see it. It’s a bit late to make the drive. I could transport by myself, but I can’t take them with me. Could we meet you at the mall in about 30 minutes?”

“Certainly, I think it’s an excellent idea. She’s old enough to understand.

“I’ll see you at the mall.”

It didn’t take long for them to pull up at the side entrance that led them to the delivery door to the SRU shop. It didn’t really matter where the shop was. If the door was enabled it would lead to the rear room of the shop. Likewise, they could exit the door at any place The Wizard chose. Betty pressed the delivery button, she had done it several times in the past, and the buzz of the electronic lock let them know it was okay to enter.

Betty had accidently bumped the skeleton her first time there, and was startled as it disassembled. She gave it wide berth this time.

“Betty, why don’t you use the bathroom while we talk to His Wisdom.”

“Okay, if we’re going to take a trip, I should,” Betty said as she entered the room that was far too big for the space it occupied. The Wizard and Randi had made many improvements to it over the years. When Adam, now Terri, had written it up during an insurance inspection, The Wizard realized that what he thought was ambience, was just sloppy. Now there was a modern toilet replacing the one with the always breaking toilet seat. The modern sink replaced the old porcelain pedestal one that looked like it came out of a 1940s service station. Randi had balked at installing a modern hand dryer because they spread germs, and weren’t that environmentally correct. She had The Wizard install a germ and virus filter that was 100 percent efficient. She had him install a regular paper towel dispenser that was much more environmentally correct. She also installed a tub and separate shower. Wolf and family enjoyed that more than anyone else.

“Do you think it’s wise to show that to her now?” Frank asked. “After all, she’s not even five years old.”

“She’s a lot older mentally, and she’s magic,” The Wizard replied. “Her advances have been rather remarkable, all things considered. For the first time in her life she is truly happy. You are wonderful parents, and you are enabling all those repairs to her psyche that couldn’t have happened otherwise. The subject is bound to come up many times over the years ahead with everyone knowing what Randi, Cindy, and Don went through. She’ll also learn about those other transitions very soon. All of that won’t be important enough for her to dwell on. This way you will never be having to explain something to her when the time isn’t right. After all, she knows what happened to her, what she did to everyone. She was forgiven on the spot. Now she doesn’t have to dwell on any of it. She’ll be fine.

“By the way, here are the keys to your rented car, complete with an approved seat for Betty. It’s a beautiful day for a trip in the country.”

They walked hand in hand out the front door to the parking lot outside the mall in Bridgeport.

“That was a great day, wasn’t it?” Frank said. Betty looked up at her handsome father.

“This was where I met your mother. I fell in love with her in about two seconds.”

Randi looked to see Betty start to tear up. “Don’t you dare cry. We’re together and we love you very much. We’ve learned a lot about ourselves since then. We are a family, and you will always be part of it. One of these days you are going to meet someone like your father. You will fall in love, and if you want to, have all the children you desire.”

“I’m so sorry, Mommy.”

“You have nothing to be sorry for. Everything is fine, and no one is mad at you. We are a happy family, and you will have a little sister in just a few months.

“I’ll tell you what. What’s that truck over there in the shade?”

“That’s the ice cream truck that comes by our house.”

“Well, not quite, but it’s the same company. Let’s get you an ice cream cone. What flavor do you want?”

“Stwawbewwy,” Betty said with a little smile. “I love you, Mommy.”

“We love you, Betty, and don’t ever forget it.”

Betty’s mood improved dramatically as she buckled herself into the well-designed seat. It was just a short drive to the cemetery where they parked in the small lot at the bottom of the hill.

“I smell flowers. They smell real good.”

“We’ll see them in a minute. It’s not a very long walk.” They stopped by a concrete bench next to a large sugar maple.

“This is where your Daddy proposed to me the day after we met.”

“Did you say yes?”

“Of course I did. I chided your father for being a bit slow.”

“Why were you here? It’s pretty, but it’s a graveyard. Did someone die?”

“Yes, a long time ago.”

“Oh, look at all the flowers. They smell so good.”

“They’re my favorites: roses and gardenias.”

They stopped in front of the headstone. Betty read the words that her father had read less than a year before:

Randal Christopher Mantooth
September 7, 1979 – August 15, 2007
He lived in two worlds

“Mommy, what’s your name. I know everyone calls you Randi, but that’s just a nickname isn’t it?

“Christine Miranda Lewis Deere.” Randi remembered Frank’s reaction.

“You and Aunt Cindy?”

“Yes.”

“And Aunt Bobbie?”

“No, that was different.”

“Hmmm,” Betty looked at the grave and marker before walking to the flowers that never faded, never wilted, and continuously gave off their wonderful fragrance.

“Can we go home, now? I want to give The Wizard a hug and a kiss.”

It was ten years before she talked about it again.

***

“Mom, when Aunt Randi visited the other day, I discovered there was someone else with her. Her name is Linda. She doesn’t talk a whole lot, but she knows who she is. She loves music. She doesn’t understand where she is. I told her not to worry. I startled her the first time. She thought I was in there with her. How did she get in there, anyway?”

“We’ll talk about that later.”

“Okay.”

“Don, our precocious son has been communicating with Linda. I’ll have to explain privacy issues with him one of these days. I don’t think he’s intruding. He also asked how she got inside Randi”

Martin and Joann had been toddling around before being settled down for their afternoon nap. Maddie was watching them as Don was working on a legal brief.

“I imagine he’ll figure it out rather quickly. If it gets to the point I have to tell him, I will. We had to explain to Lucy when she was 12 about Santa Claus. She took it rather well.”

“When the children are toilet trained, what would you think about creating a little brother or sister for them?”

“I think you are the one who is in control of that option. We’ve gone over this quite a bit, and you know I’m in favor of more children.

“Are you happy, Cindy?”

“I couldn’t be happier. It just gets better and better. I’m going to put the twins down for a nap. You’ve been working too hard. I think you could use a nap, too.”

As naps went, they didn’t get much sleep.

***

“Bob, the doctor says I’m dangerously hypertensive. He thought about putting me in the hospital, but said if I took it easy, I could go home. I’ll have to wear a monitor.”

Dr. Stephanopoulos had been standing in the background as Hilda told her husband what he had told her.

“I’ve prescribed some medication that has been very effective in reducing blood pressure without serious side effects. She is going to have to take it easy for a while, and we’ll monitor her readings closely. If and when things get down to a safe level, I would suggest taking a long cruise, and just enjoy life, your children, and grandchildren.”

Three months later, they left on a cruise around the world. They would take many more cruises over the years. As their grandchildren got older, they frequently accompanied them on their trips.

***

It didn’t happen right away, but six months after young Donald was walking, Cindy turned on her ‘egg factory’. They missed the first time, but four weeks later Cindy was pregnant. Bobbie determined very quickly that there was a little girl ‘in there’. Cindy couldn’t be happier. She seldom reflected on that past life she’d had. She knew it hadn’t been a waste, because it gave her a real insight on how horrible being transgender could be for some people. She would use that knowledge to the best of her ability.

***

Next time: We are going several years into the future. Cindy and Bobby are settled into their roles and psychiatrist and psychologist. Although most of their work is with the non-transgender, they do get more clients than the statistical average who are truly transgender. We will visit two of their many successful ‘cases’.

up
32 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos