Thanks Truck-kun For Making Me A Trader - Part 10/27

Printer-friendly version

Finally, it is morning. I tossed and turned in my bed tonight instead of sleeping. My mind circled about the possibilities the Bracelet Of Shielding Pasus has gifted me. It had an intriguing enchantment but wasn't very strong yet. Here, take a look as a reminder.

> Bracelet Of Shielding <
> A plain bracelet that was modified to house an enchantment. <
> Enchanted: minor cumulative personal shield <
> Active ability: Spends charge to summon a personal shield or reinforce an already established one. <
> Passive ability: While inactive it collects 23 points of charge each bell up to 451 points. An active shield steadily loses 46 points of charge each bell.
> 672 void-favors <

The maximum charge is barely a tenth of my health points. Yes, it is stupid to have health points in the first place. And stats. But such non-sense is the normal reality of Besona. How they exactly work I don't know. Can someone survive a knife in the heart if they have enough health points left? I don't know. To be honest, I don't want to find out.

My first impulse was to try rotating all my clothes on the research bench while the bracelet is taking up the second slot. In the hopes of shifting the enchantment over to my regular clothes. But is that really the best way?

When I managed to research my enchant-up bras their growth enchantments were of the same strength as the growth potion I used. Now, I have to research stronger enchantments for each bra one at a time. Maybe if I manage to boost the bracelet's enchantment first, I can transfer a stronger enchantment later. Smart, right? I know you would agree.

But how to do that? I could research the bracelet over and over again, but that takes time. Well, I am rather impatient. So, my thinking is this. The bracelet has to run on magic, right? So, it needs mana. That's what everyone collects to cast spells. Until they run out. Then they drink one of my products. A mana potion. That's why I popped one onto the research bench in the middle of the night along with the bracelet. At least then I got a few bells of sleep. Now is the time to see if I was successful.

Damn, I failed. Yes, the bracelet got stronger, but not by much. A few points more overall charge, two points to recharge speed, and one point to charge loss while active. Guess this was a bust.

Wait a minute. I've got a new blueprint unlocked. A potion?

> Potion Of Shielding - Strength 30 <
> Drinking this potion grants the user a personal shield with a charge of 600 points or strengthens an established shield by this amount. The shield loses 61 points of charge each bell <
> 66 void-favors <

Oh, that is so much better. Granted, compared to others the potion isn't cheap, but it is stronger in effect than the bracelet. And it is consumable. That means I can sell it again and again instead of only one item. Provided I can entice it to customers. Maybe to mages. They might value having some added protection without having to dress up in armor.

Well, now that I have a stronger potion, I can throw in a copy of my normal clothes and see what it gets me. I think I start with my tunic. Then breakfast and opening my shop. At least this will distract me until research is done again.

I talk to you again when it's finished.

....

....

Change of plans. There is something strange going on. My shop isn't even open for a full bell and I spotted a strange customer in the waiting line for my shop.

It's a young woman, but I am pretty sure she isn't an adventurer. She isn't wearing armor or one of those robes wizards and mages favor. Instead, she is dressed casually. Not unlike myself. But what really stands out is her hair. It is a dark metallic blue. I swear, if I wasn't on Besona, I would guess that color is from a tube. It can't be natural, right? I haven't seen anyone with such a colorful mane of hair. Well, maybe Awyn. Essie's aunt has her weapons shop here. Her red hair is a little too vibrant to be normal.

But there is something else. I could swear I saw her before, but I can't place her. Oh, here she comes. Maybe if I get a closer look I can't place her.

"Good day. I am here to- Leon?"

What? She knows my name? Well, my former name. The one I had on Earth.

"How do you know that name?"

"It's me, Leon. Myra. The priestess that welcomed you to Besona."

Oh my gosh. Now I see it. That's why she was so familiar. Back then I have seen her only in a dark robe and some tight headwrap. I hadn't seen her unusual hair color or much of her figure except for her face.

"Myra, I've been looking for rotations for you. Well, a friend of mine. No wonder they couldn't find you. What are you doing here?"

Hmm. She looks nervous. After a glance around, she is stepping closer to me.

"I guess it is alright to tell you. But you've got to keep it a secret."

"I swear. Now out with it."

"I am part of Maryn's entourage. You know, the summoned Hero from Earth. We keep her arrival a secret until she is strong enough."

Right. I wasn't the intended soul to arrive on Besona. Marie was. I guess she took a Besonian name just like me. My huge knockers are thanks to her. Apparently, she had been rather flat-chested on Earth and always wanted to have a huge bosom. So, Besona provided her ideal body. Only for me to land in it by accident. A fact I am still not happy about.

"I see. I guess the large Little Swan that arrived yesterday evening is from the church then? We guessed rich adventurer kids, but if you keep this trip a secret it makes sense your ship doesn't have the church symbol."

"We are on a mission to get her stronger fast. And we need to keep it a secret, Leon."

"It's Lillyn now," I correct her. "Maryn isn't the only one who took a new name to blend in. Don't worry. I'll be discrete. How long are you guys staying? I have so many questions for you."

"A rotation. Maybe two."

"I usually take a stroll around the courtyard in the evening. Maybe you'd like to join me in the evening?"

Myra looks to be in thought for a minute but then nods. "I guess that will draw less attention than me blocking the waiting line here for much longer."

"It's a date then," I confirm. "Now what can I trade you to keep the cover intact?"

After a few standard potions, I saw Myra walking down the ramp. What are the odds? I have Essie look everywhere for Myra just for her to walk back into my life on her own. And here of all places. Well, now I have a new reason to look forward to the evening. Hope Pasus doesn't mind that I go with Myra-

Wait, what am I thinking. It's not that Pasus and I are a thing. This isn't cheating if I take someone else on an evening walk. Stop overthinking things Lillyn. Argh. Back to work. Customers are waiting.

....

....

Lunch break. Finally. But first, I have to check up on my research. With Myra arriving I nearly forgot. Let's see. The potion's strength was enhanced by one level and my tunic-

> Simple Tunic Of Sustaining <
> This simple tunic is made with fine bleached and dyed Hounshack leather strips and hardened silver thread that was woven together. <
> Enchanted: minor sustaining of personal shield
> Passive ability: Reinforces a personal shield with 5 points of charge each bell. <
> 311 void-favors <

Strange. It can't create a shield of its own. But maybe it isn't totally useless. Apparently, shields lose part of their charge each bell and this strengthens one. Meaning that this tunic will make any shield last longer. Now I am curious. If I have enough items on me that add charges can a shield be sustained indefinitely? Well, there is only one way to find out. Time for a copy of my skirt to join the Potion Of Shielding on my research bench.

I might as well try the new tunic on. After all, it works in combination with the Bracelet Of Shielding Pasus gave me.

It switched colors! The original is this light cream color. But this one is light grey. A little metallic. And it has a pattern sewn onto it with some metallic thread. Right, the description said silver was used. Interesting. The pattern reminds me of the circuitry we had back on Earth.

Well, back to work. But first, lunch.

....

....

It's evening. Time to close up shop and get ready to meet Myra. It's about time I get some answers. But first, I have to check on my research.

Another level of strength for my potion and-

> Plain Skirt Of Sustaining <
> This skirt is made with fine Hounshack leather strips woven together. It was dyed black and accented with hardened silver thread. <
> Enchanted: minor sustaining of personal shield
> Passive ability: Reinforces a personal shield with 6 points of charge each bell. <
> 325 void-favors <

With the five points of charge income from the tunic, I could offset eleven points of the charge upkeep from any shield. That would mean a shield from the bracelet would only lose thirty-five each bell. A lot more for a shield made by a potion. Still, everything helps I guess.

Now to try it on. Great. It didn't change color like the tunic. I was worried for a bit. No, I still give a crab about fashion. But running around in all gray is not my style. The skirt is all black, but it too has the circuit-like pattern in silver on it. It really pops against the dark fabric. I like it a lot.

I mean-

It is tolerable.

Right. Time to head out. New skirt and tunic. Check. In my inventory two of the shield potions. Yep. And on my wrist the Bracelet Of Shielding. Not sure about what I am gearing up. Maybe the paranoia of Pasus' merchant family is rubbing off. That Western Empire doesn't sound good. Still, now that I can gear up, why shouldn't I?

Time to head out. I hope I don't have to wait long. No, wait. There she is. That blue hair of hers really stands out. Even in the setting sun.

"Hey there."

"Hi," she says while giving me a small wave with her hand.

Right. My evening walk. Do we link arms as I did with Pasus? Maybe not. How do women interact with each other on Besona? Or in general.

"Ler's walk."

"Right."

We aim for the path in front of the guest mansion. This, of course, leads past the grand Little Swan parked right beside my own Little Mule. It really was a class of its own. Outshining the ships of us void-traders.

Time to forget about ships and focus on Myra. Wait, was she studying me while I was distracted by the Little Swan? Two can play this game. Her most obvious feature is her metallic gleaming dark blue hair. Now that I am close to her I see even her eyebrows are blue. Either she is very committed to dyeing her hair or it is indeed natural. A strange thought.

Her eyes too are an unnatural color. Not quite blue or green. A strangely vibrant aquamarine. Her face is heart-shaped with pronounced cheeks. You know the kind, right? By her cheeks alone I got the impression that she smiled or laughed a lot. And her lips appeared downright kissable.

Like me, she is wearing a long wide skirt. Though hers is brown. Further up she wears a blue top. Matching her hair nicely. While shapely, her chest wasn't as overblown as mine. Which I would count as a plus.

"So, you had questions, right?" Myra suddenly asked. "I mean I hadn't much time to explain anything to you when you arrived."

Shoot, I was distracted by my own narration. I blame you, my imaginary audience.

"Hardly anything," I concur. "By now, a few others had filled me in. But they only know so much. To them, this world is normal. You and your church appear to have a connection to Earth and other worlds. Maybe you can understand my confusion and alleviate them."

"I'll try my best," Myra promises me. "But bear in mind I haven't been a priestess of the church for long. In fact, I was only raised to this rank two rotations ago."

"Okay, the most important one first."

I quickly check if we can be overheard. No, not many pay us any mind. A few adventurers glance in our direction, but most are busy prepping for dinner, erecting additional tents, making their beds, or other busywork.

"Alright. So, I am from Earth. From the United States of America. There, we speak English. I die. Get send to Besona. New world. Magic. Different culture. All that shebang. Now, why the hell are we still speaking English?"

Great, I made Myra chuckle. Not my intention. Even if it looks kind of charming.

"I should have known this might be your first question. It was one of Maryn's too. In fact, this was expected and one of the things I was especially taught to answer. So, here it is. You speak English. Everyone around you is speaking Eastern Cobondaian."

"What? That doesn't even make a lick of sense. Are you saying I have some build-in translation spell or device?"

"I understand your confusion," Myra assures me. "It is like this. The Church Of The Otherworldly has summoned heroes from other worlds for a long time. There was always a language barrier that hindered their quests. But we wisened up. You see there are a near-infinite amount of worlds out there. On some languages developed that are close or even identical to our own. Earth is such a world and it has several countries that speak a language so similar to Eastern Cobondaian that they are practically identical. We simply changed our request for a hero that comes from such a world. Most often, it is from Earth."

In a convoluted way, this actually makes sense. Parallel linguistic evolution, huh? Interesting. Well, good for me I guess. I was never good at learning other languages. Believe me, you don't wanna hear what is left of my school Spanish classes.

"I see. So how does this work? The summoning of heroes. Is that the purpose of the church?"

"That's complicated. But I'll try my best to explain. Normally more senior priestesses take this part over. The church was founded over a millennia ago. You see, there was an event. Invaders of a different world attacked us. We repelled them to where they came from. They left behind artifacts. A few people who grew up around them noticed a strange connection. They could feel beyond the veil. Outside of Besona. They were the first. It is a rare gift. Only those influenced by otherworldly forces may develop it."

"What's your influence, Myra? I mean you have to have one, right?"

"My hair of course." Just to underline her statement, Myra is running her fingers through her hair. Giving me a good view of her unnatural color. "You see, blue hair is not a natural hair color on Besona. Yet, I was born with it. There was a fad a few decades back. Potions that can change one's hair color for a while. They are based on hair dyes we got from Earth. Both my parents had consumed potions for blue hair. Not knowing that I would inherit this effect as I was conceived."

"Hold on a minute." I stop Myra just before the fork in the path that leads to the hedge labyrinth. "You inherited a potion effect? That doesn't make sense."

"Lillyn, don't mistake Besona for Earth. In your world, one inherits traits based on the original body of the parents. Here, it is based on the current body."

"That would mean potions change the DNA of a person and-"

"Let me stop you right there, Lillyn. The church does know the Earth's concept of DNA. But we could not confirm it for Besona. In fact, we couldn't even confirm that living beings here are made up of cells as they are on Earth. You've got to remember. This is a different world. The rules are not the same."

Holy shit. Let me-

I have to sit down a minute. No cells? Then what am I even made of right now? Do they have atoms? Molecules?

"Deep breath, Lillyn. Everything is okay."

That's easy to say for you, Myra. Your entire worldview didn't just up and jumped into the trash can. What are we even made of now? Shaped smoke and wishful thinking? A collection of tiny soap bubbles that collectively decide to take up form? This hurts my brain. Seriously. This is fucked up.

Wait. What did Essie explain to me about the void? That it is unbound substance with endless possibilities? If we void-trader pull something from the void we give it a material form but limit its possibilities. In other words, everything around me is just realized ideas? If so, whose?

"I think I am losing my mind. What even is reality around here?"

"It is malleable, Lillyn. That's what the church is all about. It is also how we summon things."

Great. Now Myra is crouching down to me. As if she is consoling a small child throwing a tantrum. Well, I mean I am sitting in the dirt with tears in my eyes. I bet someone is already looking. Judging me. Time to get myself together. I am a big boy. Urg. Girl.

"You have to explain that to me," I request while getting up.

"It is like this. Knowing about other worlds granted us insight into our own. Those that founded the church learned that they can shape the very reality of our world by making prophecies. Of course, our reality resists. For a lack of a better term we 'negotiate' until we find a prophecy that we can get carved into Besona's reality. But we have to be careful. Once a prophecy is cast reality itself prevents us from changing it."

Dusting off my skirt, I try to assimilate what Myra told me. So they simply make up a statement of the future and Besona shrugs and makes it happen? And I thought the void-trader profession was overpowered.

"So, you demand something and the world bends to your will?"

"It is not as easy as it sounds. Calling a prophecy about Besona alone is hard. It is easier to ask for something to be added from the outside."

"I think I get it," while slowly starting to walk again. "If you ask for a hero from Besona, the world has to find a suitable person and bend them to a new fate. While getting a soul from another world leaves the reality of Besona pretty much untouched."

"Exactly," Myra confirms. "I have a good example. It might even cheer you up a little."

"I am all ears."

After this disaster of new revelations, I could use a pick me up. In whatever form it may come.

"When the higher-ups of the church confirmed that the prophecy for a new hero was in place, I started my own prophecy. I asked Besona for the arrival of a gift that might cheer up the arriving hero. Soon or later I knew they would feel home-sick and I wanted to have something to alleviate their pain. It took me a few rotations of slow negotiating, but I managed it. My first prophecy. It was what I needed to become a priestess. And last week my prophecy came true and I got this."

Myra is holding out her hand. Not to show me a soul-inventory item. Something is materializing in her hands. It kind of looks like-

"Is that an apple?"

"It is. Go ahead. Take it. You need it more than Maryn right now."

Reaching for it my hands are actually trembling. It can't be real, right? Besona with all its weird food. I thought I never see food from Earth again. But it feels real. Solid. Looks delicious too. Mostly red skin, but a good chunk fades to green.

"What's wrong? You don't want to eat it?"

"It's not that I don't want to. Myra, if I research this on my ship, I could have an apple any day. I could give copies to you and you still could give Maryn some. What? Did I say something wrong?"

Myra is actually now looking worried. Is she angry at me? A deep breath later, she appears to relax again.

"I am sorry, Lillyn. It is just- It is forbidden for a priestess to give otherworldly items away. Especially to void-traders. It didn't use to be like that. Just two generations ago the church and the void-traders were the best of friends. But something changed. The priest who gave away the hair dye that later became the potions my parents consumed actually got thrown out of the church."

"I will keep this a secret. Myra, I swear. If you let me research this apple, I will not sell it. Only you and I will know about it. No one else."

"Fine." Stepping close, Myra is looking me straight in the eyes. "I am putting my life in your hands. Don't disappoint me."

"I won't. I swear it."

As Myra steps back, I make the apple dematerialize. Hiding it in my soul-inventory. Now, I hardly can wait to return to my Little Mule. One quick research and I can taste apples again. As much as I want. I could kiss Myra right now. Well, I better not.

"Is it working out for you?"

"What?"

I got lost in my own head again. What was Myra talking about?

"The void-trader profession. I asked if it is working out for you. Are you happy?"

"All things considering, I guess I am. Granted, Besona is throwing me a lot of curveballs. Uhm, things to catch me off-guard. But overall, I manage. most of the time I am even happy to trade with people. And I got a knack for researching things. Most aren't very useful, but I am starting to get the hang of things."

"I am glad," Myra commented. "I am not a fan of how the church handled you."

"Me neither. I-"

Right. Pasus is gone. Turning onto the path in front of the servant dormitories gave us a view of the Little Mules and the large Little Swan. All lined up neatly. Except one was now missing. Pasus had left last night. I wonder what he would make of everything Myra just told me.

"Something wrong?"

"No, it's okay. Just was reminded that a friend left recently."

"So, you made a friend already. Good."

"A few actually. Some are looking out for me."

"I am glad. Maybe you aren't a hero like Maryn, but it looks like you land on your feet just like one."

"Well, I am glad to just chill in my Little Mule and leave the fighting to others."

"Don't worry. Maryn is capable. She just needs more time."

Right. That brings me to another question burning in the back of my mind.

"What exactly is Maryn supposed to do? Slay a dragon? Defeat an evil sorcerer? What danger warrants a hero summoned from another world."

"I actually don't know," Myra admits after a short pause. "Only the leaders of the church know. We normal priests and priestesses are left to speculate. My money is on the Western Empire. That's what my gut tells me. But what exactly is the threat? I don't know."

The last few steps to the Little Mules we spend in silence. Myra has given me a lot to think about and it looks like she has some thinking to do too. I may be wrong but I think I hear resentment to her own leaders in her voice. Is there a rift forming in the church? I am not sure if that is good or bad.

"Here we are," Myra announces as we finish our round of the courtyard. "I like the colors of your Little Mule."

Right. Blue with bronze accents. I quite like it, but from the inside, I don't get to see it. Another plus for my daily walk in the evening.

"Thanks. I chose this one myself. Listen, Myra. Again, I promise to keep a certain item a secret. If you come by in the morning, I'll hand you a dozen or more."

"I will. Thank you for the walk."

"It was a hard walk this time, but I still enjoyed it."

Instead of saying her goodbyes, Myra is reaching for my hands. Taking them into her own.

"Listen, Lillyn. I know the church treated you badly. Still, I hope we can be friends."

"I'd like that."

I even mean that. Myra has an honesty to her that I quite like. If she says she wants to be friends then I believe her. There is sincerity in that blue-green eyes of her.

After a short goodbye, it is time to hurry to the research bench. Now I am glad I haven't put something else on there first. Time for the apple. Actually, what does the item description say?

> Apple (McIntosh) <
> A type of fruit from #####. It is known for its tart flavor and tender white flesh. It was first cultivated by ###### ######## in #### and later was commercially produced. <
> 7 void-favors <

Strange. The description is spasming out. But the apple itself should be good. Onto the research bench. Now, I have to wait. Hmm. I still have the second research slot. What to put on it? Oh, I know. Please Besona, give me what I want. The papush ice cream plus the apple in the first slot equals apple ice cream, right?

I will find out. In just about two and a half bells. Time to get myself distracted.

....

....

Still a bell to go. Normally my research appears to be so quick, but today it feels so slow. Now, I have run out of things to do. Ate dinner. A small one. I left space for apples. And hopefully ice cream. I took a long bath. Even cleaned up my Little Mule for a bit. What else is there to do?

Maybe I should go through my collected items. Muse what combination results in new inventions. Let's see.

Right, I got a crate of congealed Zitoraxs slime. Of course, crated up I only get a generic description. Time to materialize it and look inside. I hope it isn't too icky.

Hmm. It doesn't look that bad. As if someone melted a thousand gummy bears and then let it cool down again in the crate. Time to scrape a chunk of and find out if it could be useful.

> Congealed Zitoraxs Slime <
> This product of drying Zitoraxs Slime was once coveted as a thought after ingredient in healing potions and as a sealing agent in the industry. However, its popularity diminished as better alternatives became available. <
> 13 void-favors <

That actually sounds promising. And the feel itself isn't so bad either. Kind of rubbery. I can press it and it springs to its original form. Hmm. Maybe I can use it for something that needs bouncing. I could try combining it with my shoes. Getting a gel-insole or something like that. Maybe I get sneakers out of it. Air-Lillyns have a certain ring to it, right?

The research is done. Finally. Apples. I have unlimited apples. And the ice cream worked too. Just let me summon one and take a bite.

Oh, gosh darn. That's the best apple I ever had. So juicy. I need more. Yes, that are tears running down my cheeks. Can you blame me? I thought I was stuck with weird Besonian food forever. But this-

It's special, alright. Just let me enjoy this. In fact, how about we call it a night. I've got apples to eat and you- I don't care.

Bye



Hey readers,

Cassy_Bee here. Once again ready to talk your ears off. Or eyes.

Anyway. As you may know, TTkFMMAT is LitRPG. Normally it is dominated by tables of numbers and stats. I am trying to go a light route and keep it to a minimum. Only to show it when it makes the most sense. I hope I do a good job.

If you read my other works that you might know that quite a few stories of mine feature LitRPG aspects. I must admit, it is intriguing to me.

As such, I am delighted to see other authors on BCTS dabble in it. I'd like to give a shoutout to two of them and maybe steer you to them. Just in case you haven't checked them out yet.

First, we have Morpheus with his current running serial To The Core. It has quite a few parts and is now ramping up to the final stretch. Well worth a read. He was also the person to start the custom keyword LitRPG on BCTS. Not included in the keyword, but fitting the genre is his serial "A Piece in the Game of Gods".

A newcomer to the genre is Amethyst with her serial "Apocalypse Dawn - First Light". A more traditional approach with a setting taking place in a virtual reality game, but with already hints showing that there are more forces at work there than one first might guess.

Of course, there might be more LitRPG stories out there on BCTS. If you know of them you might want to send a friendly private message to their authors and let them know of the keyword. Remember to be polite. Adding a keyword to every part of a serial is a lot of work.

Also, if you know of a LitRPG story I haven't named, I wouldn't mind a private message with a link either. Just saying.

Well, that's it for this time.
Stay tuned for part 11 of Lillyn's adventures in Besona.
After the more heavy part 10 you can look forward to more wacky gadgets researched and some light-hearted fun. Much to Lillyn's chagrin.

Until next time.
Hugs and kisses,
Cassy

up
150 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Seeds

Apples have seeds and Lillyn could become Besona's version of Johnny Appleseed and no one would have to know where they came from. LOL

Jo-Lillyn Appleseed

Sorry to disappoint, Karen.

But the church would know.
Myra had to present her summon to the church to raise from acolyte to priestess, right?
So, if apple trees suddenly pop up then the church can conclude pretty easily what happened.
Besides, Lillyn might be smart enough to figure out that apple trees might become an invasive species on Besona.

Thanks Truck-kun For Making Me A Trader

keeps getting more and more interesting. The plot and character building is is excellent and imaginative.

Lillyn and Pasus sitting in a tree...

... Or maybe not. Maybe Lillyn will take after her mentors and accumulate a harem. A girl person in every port.

As for a hero to fight the western empire... Maybe Lillyn is it. But no pressure, eh?

I'm wondering if the empire is being run by people from another world, and maybe they are using other worldly devices that Lillyn will be able to counter. This whole stabbing and slashing thing is so droll.

She just needs to keep from getting kidnapped. Either that, or outsmart them once that happens.

Or maybe she can team up with Myra. Myra can prophecy some guns and ammo and Lillyn can arm the resistance. And tell that church to go fly a kite.

Lillyn and Pasus falling from a tree...

Sorry, Ray, but...

I personally dislike that the LitRPG genre is overrun by the harems genre.
Lillyn gets a love triangle at most. No harem for her.

The hero to fight the western empire is Maryn.
Lillyn has her hands full saving the void-traders.

The empire is run by ...
< Redacted to avoid spoilers. >

Guns for Lillyn and doing what?
From a writing perspective that would be boring.
Why give the main protagonist unlimited weapons that are overpowered in the setting?

Maybe the church summoned a kite once and they let it fly regularly?
Ever thought about that?

Thanks for the comments.
Hugs and kisses,
Cassy

Guns

They won't be overpowered if the empire already has guns. In fact, I'll bet they're kidnapping all the void traders so that they can build up their arsenal of whatever it is that they do have.

Hmm. Clothes of Sustaining.

Zengar's picture

Hmm. Clothes of Sustaining. Not only do they not... infringe... on Pasus' familial exclusive, they address one of the limitations of shielding enchantments which ought to make such enchantments a more attractive purchase. For trading purposes, I think this is a much better result than simply transferring the enchantment the way she initially hoped :)

Oooh! Nice thoughts!

Really thinking that Pasus and Lillyn should set up shop together now... He provides the shield rings, while Lillyn makes the clothes to support them for better use!

...

Oooh... We see a broken Flavor Text! And more info about the world!

Hmm... This world is "written" by someone! Hmm... Cassy, you had some older LitRPG thing... Crossover / Canon Welding!
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Magical "circuitry"! Magic sci-fi is always fun!
____________________________________________________________________

Hmm... That Prophecy! How do they know that Maryn is the Hero? The Apple for the Hero, went to Lillyn first. That's pointing to her, being the Hero?

Or, are there multiple Heroes? Lillyn is Trader Hero, Maryn is ??? Hero...
____________________________________________________________________

Apple of Romance! "Food is the way to a man's heart! Or a woman's heart, yes?"

Literal Forbidden Fruit! HA!
____________________________________________________________________

Now, why is there a ban on Otherworldly Trading? Ominous? Connected to the Western Empire or something?

And Church of the Otherworldly is a Double Meaning Name! Cool!
____________________________________________________________________

Numbers! I like numbers 'cause I'm a math guy! ... Also, hmm... More Numbers means more combat, or something? Because Slice of Life doesn't need a numbers focus... Hmmmm...
____________________________________________________________________

Potions, potions... Is there / Can there be, Void Booster Potions or something? ... Potions of Soul Flakes... Turning Voidfavors into Soulflakes!

This feels too easy, that I haven't said this already... Then again, we're really getting into potion crafting now...

...

What happens if you dupe the ring onto all 10 fingers??

I agree. Nice thoughts. Or are they ... ?

First, @Zenger:
Those enchantments "of Sustaining" do have a nice synergy with Pasus' family.
But for how long? We will see.
grins evilly and rubs hands in anticipation


Oh, @Malady.
You and your crazy theories.
You should at least get your facts straight.
It's a "Bracelet of Shielding". Not a ring.
Though I guess it's just a matter of time until Lillyn manages to enchant rings with this effect.

Yes, someone writes the descriptions for all the items.
ME!!!
Well, there might be an in-canon explanation too.
Who would be the best to ask about it? Myra.
Will this end up in a new fit of existential crisis? We'll see...

Magical circuitry is fun!
Though this one isn't functional beyond giving the cloth enough substance to carry an enchantment.
You'll see once Lillyn tries to transfer bigger enchantments ...

Maryn is the hero. She is the one summoned with a purpose.
Lillyn arrived by accident. She has no purpose as a hero, so she is a wild card.
It looks like she chooses the request of Iren as a heroic quest.

And yes, there are multiple heroes. The church has a rich history of it.
Come to think of it...
Head priestess on the toilet: The toilet paper is empty.
Nearby acolyte: I can run and get new ones.
Head priestess: No. Summon a hero!!!!
(Actually, the bigger the summon the longer it takes. So, no. The church can't swarm Besona with swarms of heroes. Though that would draw a nice parallel to mmorpgs and their many many heroes who are all chosen to save the world.)

It's an apple. Stop interpreting stuff into it. This isn't the bible. ;P

Booster potions and such are a little overpowered. From a writing perspective not advisable.
In other words, it would make the story boring.
And no void-favor to soul-flake mechanics beyond trading. Both are clearly separated trades/skills/magicks.

What happens when she puts a bracelet on each arm?
The description says it all.
Double shield strength but a faster decay of the charge/strength.
Obviously.

Forbidden Fruit

Sadarsa's picture

Once again it seems the apple is handed from Woman to Man(former).

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

They are because they think so

Jamie Lee's picture

It's hard to phantom a world that exists because it does. Or its people. While they might not be composed of cells, surely they are composed of atoms. And if not atoms, then by their own wills. Sort of, I exist because I believe I do.

Many times it's the little things which cause the most problems, or the most joy. And they can be the simplest things.

A rock in a shoe or even a grain of sand can become uncomfortable. Likewise, a piece of candy after a long absence of sweets can be a joy. In Lillyn's case it's an apple, a small red sphere with sweet, crisp meat underneath its skin.

Lillyn, in her enthusiasm for something from Earth, must be careful what she does with that apple. Even though she has promised to guard Myra's secret, she could give it all away in a second with the slip of one word. And while the Church would can Myra, Lillyn doesn't know what the Church might do to her. She especially wants to keep it from Iren.

Others have feelings too.