A New Style of Education - Part 70 - Final Chapter

Printer-friendly version

A New Style of Education

by Karen Page

Part 70 - Final Chapter


Part 70

Wednesday 24th May 2006

"Time's up," informed the exam invigilator, breaking through the silence of the exam room. "Please put down your pens and close your answer books."

A sigh rippled through the classroom, followed by the scraping of chairs as people sat back for the first time in nearly two hours.

"What did you think of that exam?" I asked Helen as we left the exam room.

"Very strange," she responded as we filed out. "These exams have been a lot easier than I thought they would have been."

"I know, right?" added Emma. "I mean we're doing these exams two years early. You'd think we would struggle more."

We went to our years common room and settled in our favourite seats.

"Just one exam left in a few weeks," stated Lewis. "I don't plan on studying for that until after the leaving party. So, what now?"

"I thought about lying out back," said Paula.

Just as she finished saying those words, we heard a rumble of thunder in the distance.

"I thought it was supposed to be dry today," sighed Paula. "Can't the weather people get it right?"

"How about a game then?" suggested Helen.

"Sure," replied Emma. "Though I thought you would be spending time with Andy and Stacy before they leave."

Paula elbowed Emma.

"What?" queried Helen.

"Any time year five leaving is mentioned, you and David get all glum. We've all seen how you look at them and they look at you."

I blushed and couldn't look at anybody. What must they think?

"Hey, I've seen them both help each one of you and keep what they know to themselves," said Martha sounding pissed off. "And now you just gossip that they're in some open relationship."

"Polyamorous, not open," I muttered, hoping the floor would open and swallow me.

"Good," said Emma and moved across to give both Helen and I a hug. "Now it's out in the open and you don't have to hide."

"Huh?" uttered Helen, her voice sounding shaken.

"I know how I would feel if I wasn't with Paula. If you only feel a fraction of what I feel for Paula, then when they leave you are going to be heartbroken. Yes, you have each other, but there is more to it for you. Now you know that we know, you don't have to hide your feelings and we can be there to help."

I burst into tears. They were a great group of friends.

"Thank you," I blubbered. It didn't come out quite right between sobs.

"When did you realise?" asked Helen.

"At first, I thought it was just the Beta handover stuff, but it was the way you were with each other. The day after your commitment ceremony sealed it for me."

Others were nodding.

"Oh?"

"Helen was in hospital and nobody was allowed to see you. David was with you, but so was Andy and Stacy. For that to occur, not only must Rachel have known, but it was accepted by the school."

"So, why don't you spend some time with them?" asked Brian. "I mean, there is only so many days before they go."

"Later," I said, trying to pull myself together. I was still in shock that my friends knew about our cross-partner feelings. "They are also leaving their friends. They need to spend time with year five too. Stacy works so hard that she doesn't get to spend as much time with her friends as she should. I'm not going to take that away from her."

"I hate to ask this, but do you know the schedule for year five leaving?"

I sighed and tried not to get upset. After all, it wasn't their fault I was in a relationship which part would turn into a long-distance thing.

"While Helen was in the hospital, we talked a bit about it. I don't remember everything, as I was more worried how Helen was. All I remember is that the day before they leave there will be some type of presentation, and then a big party. Andy described the amount of food after our Commitment Ceremony as just the right amount. He said at this party it will be too much."

"Too much?" gasped Lewis. "I don't think there can ever be too much food."

I shrugged. "Perhaps I remember it wrong. I had other things on my mind that day."

"Stacy is on her way," announced Helen. "She said she would fill us all in."

While we waited, we moved the seats around a bit to fit in another chair to the circle. She was soon being invited in and sat with us.

"It doesn't seem five minutes since I was sat here explaining what happened at Christmas. So how much has David and Helen told you?"

Erika repeated it.

"Okay, so that's the basics for your involvement. Let me explain what has been happening in year five, so you are prepared when you get there. All of us are off to university. That doesn't always happen. Last year two couples decided they'd done enough tertiary education and went straight to employment. Since university accommodation isn't available yet, we will be living in rented property for a few months. When you leave, the school pays for six months accommodation, so you have somewhere to get started. We each have a stipend to purchase clothes and other things we need. Remember, we can't take our school clothes. The school also pays for our university fees and accommodation."

"Have you already started getting things?" asked Emma.

"Sure, we have a furnished apartment in London. We've been buying clothes and getting it setup. For those moving further away, the school organise storage and shipping, just like they did with the Christmas gifts."

"So, there's no real packing for you? You just up and leave."

"With empty pockets just wearing a simple set of clothes. Just like when we joined."

"That sounds so ... harsh," whispered Paula, sounding a bit shocked. "Like they're kicking you out of your home."

"Not really. If we left with nothing, then I'd agree. The school try to make it as simple and smooth as possible. It's no different from when you finish at university. You have a move out date of your accommodation. You know when it is and prepare. Life moves on. We've done our education here. The school have taught us so much. Now it is time to learn elsewhere and give back."

"And that's it? You just disappear?"

"No, Paula. We don't just disappear. We all have email addresses, so it's easy to keep in touch. Also, sometimes an ex-pupil is asked to help. June, the head pupil the year before me, was here a few times this school year and I know of several others that came by. You just didn't see them, as they weren't here to help you."

"The final bit is the departure. Just as you were collected and escorted to the school, the reverse occurs. We leave with one of the support staff and when we get there, we get changed and put our school clothes into a bag. They are then brought back."

She took out her PDA and clicked a few buttons. Our television came on, and we saw a picture of thirty-two students lining the driveway; the cars were departing.

"This is last year's event. The leaving. It isn't a day to mourn, it is a day to celebrate. In four years, you will be ready to leave. You will be educated to a standard much higher than most people that age. The school will have done what it can, and it is time to face the world. Life is an experience where you are always learning.

"Paula, since you seem to be asking most of the questions, let me ask you something. You and Emma have been helping at the farm next door. How's it going?"

"I was scared at first, but it has been really good. I get on well with the others over there. It isn't like I thought though. I thought I would be working a lot with Emma. However, Emma knew a lot since she grew up on the farm, so I'm at a much lower level than her."

"And is your day different, than at school?"

"Oh sure. At school there are set meals. When we are at the farm, you stop when you can. If you're bringing in the cows for milking it isn't possible to stop for a drink, let alone food. We're more driven by events, than a time."

"And you David, your work experience you did?"

"That was a lot more structured. Nothing I did was time critical. I was able to stop for lunch when I wanted, well between set times."

"Lucky you," moaned Brian. "I've done no work experience yet."

"Mine was only for four days," I reminded him. "Emma and Paula's is different as its just next door, and that type of skill isn't something that can be learnt at the school. I'm sure we will all get work experience when we're further through the school. We have GCSE and A-Levels to worry about first."

"When you leave, do we stay in this room, or do we move to where year two are?" asked Lewis

"You stay here. This is your year common room. Rather like you won't change bedrooms."

"Good, I've kind of grown to like this room."

With no other questions, she bid us adieu and went back to join her year.

I looked across and saw Anna relax. "Anna, why does Stacy make you nervous? You got on well with Andy when you did the Mozart."

"Oh sure, Andy was so helpful. It's just Stacy. I've no idea why, as she has been nothing but kindness. I mean, she's year five, leader of the orchestra and so super talented."

"So, not a nervous fright, but in awe?" asked Martha.

"I suppose. I mean-" Anna tailed off and blushed.

"I think she'd pretty awesome too," I added with a cheeky grin.

That got a groan and lots of cushions thrown at me.

"At lease she didn't know that we knew about the polyamorous thing," pointed out Emma.

Helen grimaced a bit. "She knew. I told her when I asked her to talk about year five leaving."

There was a stunned silence and a lot of embarrassed faces.

* * *

Andy saw me coming off the squash court. I'd been beaten again, but I was slowly improving my game. It wasn't as easy a game as I first thought. It helped that since I now knew the basics, the number of people I played against was increasing.

"Since the whole school seems to know about the four of us, do you fancy a trip tomorrow?"

"A trip?"

"For you and Helen to see our new apartment."

I think my grin gave away my answer. "Is the school okay with that? And did you have to give assurances?"

"Rachel and Mr Hobson gave their approval. And yes, we had to give various assurances."

I nodded. "It wouldn't have mattered. We know we are too young, and we wouldn't want to get you into trouble."

"Tomorrows I'll be going en-femme. I need to get some Brenda outfits. At least a few so I can go out to get more if I need."

"I'll go as Jayne." This was the first time I'd offered to dress as Jayne since working out that what I wore didn't matter. Was I more like Andy? More to ponder.

"You sure you're okay with that?"

"Yes."

"You're sure?" he asked concerned.

"Are you sure you want to go as Brenda?" I retorted.

Andy held up his hands in mock surrender.

Thursday 25th May 2006

"Remember, nothing can happen," Helen said, as we got dressed.

"I know," I responded. "And if we did make a pass at them and got rejected, we'll just feel miserable."

"So, we just go, have a good time but no making passes at them or dropping hints. Four girls out having fun."

"Yes," I tried to sound cheerful. Deep down it hurt, but I knew the reasons. Just because my heads said something, doesn't mean my heart has to follow. "Do I look okay?"

This was the first major trip since I'd got my adult Jayne voice. It had been hard work finding her, but I was glad I had. Rachel had been very cautious about making sure my voice was stable before I embarked on these extra lessons. Helen was concerned it might impact my studies, but I found it a fun thing to do. Who would have thought that I would want to do something so I could be Jayne?!

"You look great, and you sound perfect. Let's go meet the others and get breakfast. I don't want to go to London with an empty stomach."

Just as we were finishing breakfast, I noticed Hilda, who was sat at our table today, had a rather unusual necklace. It was gold with what appeared to be a blue thread running through it. I thought about asking about it but didn't feel it was appropriate with everyone around.

With calls of "have fun", and "enjoy yourselves" ringing in our ears we went out to meet up with Brenda and Stacy. They were chatting with Rachel as we went out the front.

I saw Rachel look us over and said, "Jayne, are you ready for this?"

"Yes. Is my voice acceptable as well as my look?"

"Of course. Sorry if you find my confirming is exasperating. We just care. I'll drop you off. Give me a shout when you are due back, and we will collect you."

"Thanks for this," said Brenda.

"Getting sorted for leaving school is important and it's good to see you thinking about all your needs. As for Jayne and Helen tagging along, it is a good opportunity for the four of you to spend some quality time together."

I was glad I hadn't worn mascara. It seemed that the school, or certain staff at the school, seemed to understand that our unique relationship was important. I'd no idea how Helen and I would cope over the next few years.

As we left the grounds, I soon realised we were going a different way than we normally did. "Aren't we going the wrong way?"

"We're going to Harlington station," explained Stacy. "It's on a different line and its easier for our new place. It's also easier for us to make sure nobody is following us. I'm told Security are still nervous."

When we pulled up at the station, I saw why we were dropped off rather than us taking one of the pool cars that year five were insured to use. It was a tiny station with limited parking, which appeared to be full.

Stacy went to get the tickets and while we waited, I asked, "So which station are we going to, and where are you going shopping?"

"We're going to Farringdon, which is closest to our apartment. We'll have a drink and a chat, then go up to Brent Cross for the shops. It would have been quicker to go directly to the shops, but it means more train changes."

"We aren't going to Oxford Street then?"

"It might be closer," pondered Brenda, as Stacy reappeared and dished out a ticket each.

"A day travelcard. It will get us into London and the zones on the underground we need, then back here."

"Jayne was suggesting Oxford Street instead of Brent Cross," mentioned Brenda as we crossed over the bridge to the platform.

"How could we have forgotten about there," laughed Stacy. "We just looked up big shopping malls. How could we forget the most famous shopping street in the country?!"

Since it was post rush hour the trip was quiet. I was quite surprised when the train went underground and was even more surprised when we stopped at Kings Cross Thameslink. "This would have been a shorter trip for my work experience," I complained.

"Sure, but a longer trip for Rachel," responded Helen. "Anyway, you missed out on our morning exercise, so it was good you did some walking."

"Ooh," said Brenda and Stacy together at Helen's teasing. Well, I hope she was teasing.

It wasn't long before we rolled into Farringdon, and I noticed the underground platforms ran parallel to the main line.

"This is so convenient," I commented.

"Why do you think we chose here," retorted Stacy.

"Cheap and available?"

"Sure, it was available, but this is London. Nothing is cheap."

Within a few minutes of leaving the station we were being invited into their apartment. It was bright, clean but stark.

"What do you think?" asked Stacy, rather nervously.

"It's great," Helen and I said together. We all laughed at that.

"A great find," added Helen.

"Really convenient. You only get this for six months?"

"Yes. Such a shame. So, now you know where we'll be living, let's go and get me some clothes," said Brenda. "Then we can go and have a nice day out. A nice time, just the four of us."

The shopping didn't take long and then we were out, exploring London. We'd done the quiz when we were getting over the Russia trip, but none of us knew London. A hop-on-off bus tour, a trip on the London Eye and a walk past MI6 headquarters. Thank goodness Mavis Brown didn't see us.

Monday 29th May 2006

After lunch, instead of carrying on studying, Helen and I had an appointment with Mr Hobson. As usual he hadn't forewarned us what he wanted to discuss. Even though I'd met him several times over the last year, I still got nervous. I didn't think we'd done anything wrong.

"Come in and shut the door," he boomed when we arrived. We were offered to sit on his comfy settee, and I felt myself relaxing. I glanced at the two plastic chairs opposite his desk and was glad we weren't being invited to sit on them.

"This morning, Mr Taylor and I had a rather detailed review of your participation in the Beta program. You both have worked hard with your respective handovers, and you will be Beta One and Beta Two when the current holders leave. There is no ceremony for this, as the Beta program has always been hidden. As the years go on the knowledge of what happened in Russia will disappear and the program will again fade from view."

I glanced across at Helen, at the same time as she glanced across at me. We both shared the same expression of relief mixed with glee. How Mr Hobson had started his speech had me nervous that we wouldn't be allowed. Now we knew we'd passed that hurdle.

"However," started Mr Hobson. I quickly turned to look back. That wasn't a good start to a sentence. Not in this case. "However, there is an issue with continued training. You have only the management side covered, with some basic training. The continued learning would normally be done by a senior student overseen by Mr Taylor. We won't have that."

My gaze didn't leave Mr Hobson's face. Were things going to be different? Was that it? Were we going to be symbolic?

"To get around this unfortunate situation, we will mostly revert back to how things were when the Beta program first started. Mr Taylor will be teaching and guiding your additional learning and training. However, some elements are best coming from students, so Andy and Stacy have been asked to provide some assistance a few times a year, for the next three years."

"Thank you, sir," uttered Helen. I just grinned.

"Four years is a long time. I hope this helps a little. Now, back to your studying."

Thursday 1st June 2006

When we entered the dining room for breakfast, we saw boards surrounding the edge of the room. They were full of pictures taken of the leavers over there time in school. How they'd changed. I was surprised there were pictures of some of them pre transition. A few gasps of shock could be heard from a few in year one.

"It is who we were," I heard Stacy from behind us, knowing what we were thinking.

"Sorry?" asked Helen.

"Just because some of us are not the gender we were when we started school, it doesn't mean we try to shut it out. I know that some try to blank it out, and some of us might do that in future. Stealth they call it."

"But don't you hate the reminder?" asked Emma.

Stacy shrugged. "Not really. Yes, I had some difficulties before joining this school, but not since. Who I was in year one is just as important to me. I can celebrate my change because I can say this is who I was, and this is who I am now. Even people who don't change gender have changed from who they were when we joined. Be glad you didn't know Andy when he first arrived."

"Hey, I wasn't that bad!" called out Andy looking at the next board.

"Oh, let me see. The swimming pool incident, the bicycle chain incident, the mistletoe in the cinema incident, the –"

"Okay, okay," laughed Andy. "Perhaps I needed a bit of straightening out."

"There's a picture of the mistletoe incident here," called out Susan from further down.

"A few notices", called out Mr Hobson, and we all scarpered to our chairs. "There is time for looking at the boards after breakfast. From Monday the classroom wing will be out of bounds for several weeks. That includes both floors, not just the ground floor. There is a lot of unused space on the first floor, which is going to be turned into classrooms. The dance area should stay the same. Downstairs, some of the rooms will be turned into a large recreational room for all years to share. Like a whole school version of your year room. Things like boardgames will be moved from the library and stored in the new room. Your year rooms will stay and will be a good place for group study. You share a lot that's not year related, like the orchestra. The hope is this new area will enhance the idea that we are one school, not five years."

"Do you have plans that we can see?" asked Tim.

"There are plans, but I don't plan on sharing. I want it to be a surprise. Second notice, there are no lessons tomorrow, so curfew tonight is waved for all years until 2am. Breakfast will be as and when you come down and will just be cold items, as the kitchen staff won't be on duty until later."

* * *

Just before lunch a handbell rang out, and our chatter quickly came to an end. The bell sounded again, and on the third ring Stacy rose.

"The bell has rung three times. My time at this school is ending. Will Susan, as head student of year four, take on this duty or should a special vote be held?"

Susan rose. "I would be honoured to take that duty."

Stacy then called out, "Mr Hobson, as Headmaster, will you accept Susan as the student representative?"

Mr Hobson rose and turned to face Susan. "Susan, I accept your nomination as head student. I look forward to our first official meeting."

Susan and Stacy walked towards each other and hugged. A bell with a slightly lower pitch, and more solemn sounding, tolled twice, and we all stood and applauded.

There is one thing I've found about this school, they like ceremony.

Friday 2nd June 2006

Pupils from year one to four were dotted along the drive waiting for the departing cars. Helen and I were stood next to each other, holding hands. Those in the higher years had known them for much longer, but they had been through this ritual before. It was our year's first experience of this. Yes, we'd moved away from our birth family, and had suffered that loss. Yet today was something that, for me, felt more profound.

In five weeks, a new cohort would arrive. Ten new pupils away from home, some for the first time. Ten children bewildered and surprised by the greeting that Susan will give. Ten new friends to welcome into the family.

As the cars started to depart, our hands got tighter. My heart sank as they drove past. With the tinted windows, we couldn't see if Andy and Stacy were looking at us and we couldn't get a last glimpse of them. It wouldn't be the same without them. Not just Andy and Stacy, but the whole of year five. Hayfield was a small school, and therefore everyone mattered.

We just stood there; bereft. When I eventually refocused, I saw that Helen and I were the only ones left. We were alone.

"Bye," I quietly whimpered. "Bye."


Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.

up
193 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The end?

Many many many thanks for a wonderful tale of finding for our duo. I have thoroughly enjoyed the trial and tribulations of David/Jayne as live has proceeded. Will there be a final final in 4 years as they leave school I ponder, but that is for our author and the future. Again thankyou for allowing us to share.

A

re: the end

Thank you for your thoughtful comment. It is the end of this book. There will be more books, which they all seem to integrate. Strange that ... its like I might have a plan!

I will post the deleted chapter in a few days.

will

Maddy Bell's picture

we get more takes from Hayfield at some point?

bit of a sad ending.


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

re: sad ending

Thank you for your kind comment. I tried to make it less of an impact, but it was the ending that couldn't be anything else.

I'm so sad.

Karen,

I'm sad, but happy too. I had feared that I would never see the end of this wonderful tale. I will admit that I had thought you would do all five years for these characters. I'm sure there are many more stories for them to tell and adventures to go on. I will admit to being one of the dim ones and never figuring out what SPA means, even with your clue.

I'm also sad because Annette will never finish her delightful foray into the SPA universe.

Thank you for this engaging and lovely story. I hope more ideas come to you in the future and that you will choose to grace us with them.

Arwen

S.P.A.

I'm subtle, not cruel. Go pack to chapter 66. Look when the mystery woman announces that she is the chair of the governors. Does that help?

Okay

Just read it again; the words were all lowercase. I would have thought such a body, being official, the first letter of each word would have been uppercase.

The other thing in my case, I had something far different in mind for what the words associated with SPA would possibly be, so I completely missed that. I guess too I thought that SPA would be more to do with the extra curricular spy stuff and not mainly with their education. I seem to remember you said there was a clue around the time they went to Bletchley Park, a place deeply steeped in WWII spy history, and the worlds first true computer. So secret that the UK government allowed the US to believe it built the first computer.

Thank you again, Karen. I do look forward to further stories from you.

Arwen

re: S.P.A. 2

Hi Arwen

You have the words, but what they stand for and what they do isn't covered. That is a story for another day.

Karen

Thanks and Looking Forward

Thanks for finishing the First Year story! FWIW, I agree with your decision to close it here and am glad at your comment that other books will be forthcoming. I appreciate you skills and talents.

Thank you

Thank you for your kind comments. It was a bit of a journey for everyone. Life got in the way a few times, but I'm glad you stuck with it

All Beginnings must have an end

Lee's picture

Well this is an emotional into a great story but then again looking back on our school lives the friends we made and the friends we lost couldn't be any other way. Well you've done your Sorcerer's Stone. I hope overtime you would complete the remaining years and perhaps a glimpse into life after this school.

I wish all your friends provide you with enough explosives ( inspiration) to get through all those blockages that pop up (writers blocks) and have fun doing it.

I am a male lolita.
So what is lolita fashion http://lolita-tips.tumblr.com/faq

Re Reading

I went back to the first chapter and found that I had read it when you first published it. I'm starting over to enjoy it again. Thank you so much.

Gwen

"Bye," I quietly whimpered.

I HATE good-byes and people leaving, always so sad! Am I just afraid of change? Beats me, OTOH was VERY happy to read your comment that this is the end of the book, but not of the saga. Thanks for many enjoyable hours, Karen!
Hugs,
Miriam Russer

Old friends and new

Samantha Heart's picture

There has to be a time when things have to move on. But there will be new adventures to be gained, and old friends never really dissappear for ever. The will be back at q few points to help the new Beta 1 & 2.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Thank you all

Thank you all for your kind comments. They really do help the author.

I wonder what 2022 would hold for David and Helen

Julia Miller's picture

I enjoyed this story, starting at the beginning and reading it all the way through. It only took 14 years to finish this series. I hope you have found more time if you would like to continue things. Since you started this series in what was then the present time in 2006, if you are planning on a new series, I would love to hear what David and Helen are up to in 2022. Do they both work in the S.P.A. now? What kind of cover jobs would they both have to conceal the fact they would be seasoned spies by now? Do they have any affiliation with Haydon Hall? Perhaps they are members of the Alpha team there. It would be interesting to find these things out. And I suppose in 2022, all the students would carry smartphones with custom school apps loaded on them. Things have progressed a bit since PDA's were in use.

I hope we get to see more of David and Helen

Karen,

I just want to say thank you for such a delightful story one, that I have been following since the first chapter came out (along with the related stories.) I will admit that I shed a tear or several at the end of Chapter 70.

Thank you for the memories and and I can’t wait to see what happens next.

Samantha

Kleenex (tissue) please

I am so happy to have found this series. Every story has been a joy. I have laughed, I have cried (sometimes ugly cried), but most of all I have thoroughly enjoyed the journey. You are a talented writer and I thnk you a hundred times for sharing these characters with us.