A New Style of Education - Part 28

Printer-friendly version
Synopsis:

After saving the day in London, will David and Christopher still get punished?

Story:

A New Style of Education

by Karen Page

Part 28

We were left stewing in a waiting room. Our PDA's had been confiscated and there was no clock, so we had no idea how long we'd been waiting.

"Sorry I got you involved," I eventually said to Christopher. I'd been thinking about the day, trying to think of a way of not being punished while not revealing the truth.

"We stick together. I could strangle you for the way you baited Mr Black, but I don't know how else you could have distracted Ms Brown. Do you think she recognised us?"

"When we were at the concert we were Jayne and Helen. Today we were two boys. I think there might have been more repercussions if she had suspected. The only other person she might have recognised from the concert is Jill, but Jill was surrounded by others, so it is unlikely."

"I think she must suspect the school is up to something, the way she tried to bug the concert."

"At first I thought the school worked for someone like MI6," I said after a few moments thought. "However, the more I think about the situation, I'm not sure. Why would the American's be involved if it was?"

"Well, please don't ask when we get called in," begged Christopher. "We don't want Mr Hobson having a heart attack."

"I'll behave," I promised. I regretted that almost as soon as I said it. 'Perhaps I should have crossed my fingers when I said that. No, that would have been wrong. Christopher / Helen is my partner. I can't betray her. I'd be betraying myself.'

We slipped back into silence, awaiting our fate. Eventually Christopher began to fidget, because the seats were so uncomfortable. His bottom was more padded than mine, but it seemed to have affected him first. I was going to ask if he would like to sit on my knee, but never got the chance as the door swung open, revealing Stacy.

"They're ready for you," was all she said.

"They?" I asked as we followed.

Stacy didn't say anything, but led us silently towards Mr Hobson's office. It felt like we were being marched to our funerals. Christopher's face looked terrified as we approached the door. I hoped my terror didn't show.

"Keep your head up," Christopher whispered after taking a deep breath. "We did it right."

Christopher's face cleared and I drew comfort from that as we walked into the room, our heads held high. Sitting there on the settees were Mr Hobson, Mr Taylor, Mr Moore and Mr Black. Stacy didn't enter the room, but closed the door behind us.

There were two old wooden chairs opposite, which I presumed were for us. "You wanted to see us?" I said, not taking the seat until it was offered.

"Please sit down," said Mr Hobson, indicating the chairs. As we sat down, Mr Taylor gave a little smile and a wink. My confidence grew. "You have been asked here to try and explain your behaviour this afternoon."

"Sir?"

"You made insinuating comments about my interest in looking at a certain property. You also said that I was scouting the area," grumbled Mr Black.

"I did not," I said indignantly, hoping I wouldn't get into trouble for being impudent. "I remarked on how lovely the architecture of London is. I'd never seen such ornate property before and Mr Black seemed to be showing a similar interest. I then commented how good it was to have a dry run; referring to the choir practice we'd just witnessed."

Mr Black coloured slightly, as he realised that he'd assumed what I actually had meant. Mr Hobson however was a fair man and burst out laughing. "I'll give you ten points for having the gall, but I can't give you anything for originality."

"What?" asked a puzzled Mr Moore.

"He used exactly the same technique on me in Paris," laughed Mr Taylor. "I'm just glad I wasn't the only one he spotted."

"David and Christopher are members of our Beta team," continued Mr Hobson. "David is very observant and spotted Mavis Brown planting a device at a school concert."

"So that's how you knew Mavis. I thought it was strange."

"I want to know what she was doing there," moaned Mr Moore. "She doesn't work in that building and should have no business there. In fact apart from the occasional researcher, that building is normally empty."

"Since Mavis planted that device at the school, she at least suspects that the school is more than it publicly appears," said Christopher, revealing our previous thoughts. "Now, with her appearing somewhere where you wanted to get some information, it appears you have a leak."

"Explain yourself!" Mr Black sat up, looking at me with deep interest.

"Since we've joined the school there have been two apparent leaks. The first involves Jessica's and Wendy's parents. The second appears to involve Mavis. Though I'm not sure how they are linked."

There was silence while everyone pondered on Christopher's thoughts. Mr Hobson broke the silence by uttering the single word, 'Russia'.

"I know Mavis specialises in Russian affairs," said Mr Black, "but how does that affect Jessica and Wendy's parents?"

"They spent a few years in Russia," informed Mr Hobson, "including the children. Jessica and Wendy both speak fluent Russian. I believe that Jessica is slightly embarrassed about that fact and has been hiding it."

"The bitch," Christopher thought out loud and then apologised when he'd realised what he'd said. The four adults just grinned at us.

"I'm sure you will have good fun, now you know the truth," laughed Mr Hobson.

"If Mavis has been tipped off," continued Mr Taylor, "then there is a leak somewhere and they are close enough to the students to have information regarding Jessica and Wendy's skill in Russian. It's a shame that the chat we had with their parents didn't help. They didn't recognise any pictures we showed them and the name they had also didn't match anybody at the school."

"You don't think Jessica and Wendy are in danger, do you?" I asked, worried for their safety.

"No, and if I did, then I would send them to one of the other schools for their safety."

'Other schools?' I thought to myself. 'Interesting.'

"Since it appears we have been compromised, I'm cancelling the planned excursion," said Mr Black. "It might make her think the information she's been given is wrong. However, we will still do the concert, so whoever is leaking the information doesn't know we are onto them." I couldn't believe they were talking so freely in front of us.

"Also the students then wouldn't think something strange was happening. I don't think you've ever cancelled a concert. Anyway it's a real shame the excursion is cancelled," said Mr Hobson, producing some rather nice large photographs. "Just after David went to all that trouble to get some nice photographs of the inside of the target."

"How did you do that?" gasped Mr Black.

"When you thought we were fooling around, we were doing two things. Firstly, we were trying to divert Mavis from thinking we were anything other than a normal rabble of school children. Secondly, I took advantage of the great angle I was in and took the pictures. I forwarded them to Mr Hobson, as I didn't know how much he wanted you to know."

"We work in partnership," said Mr Taylor. "It isn't deemed fair, or safe, to investigate in our own country, but we never stop other schools doing so and always give as much assistance as we can."

"Since the others can't know why we did what we -" started Christopher.

"You're still going to have to be seen to be punished," finished Mr Hobson, handing back our PDA's. "You will be informed of your punishment tonight. Can I come to your common room, in about thirty minutes, to inform you and the rest of the year?"

"Yes sir," we said together. My heart sank at the thought of being punished, though I knew it had to be done.

We slowly made our way to the common room. Our minds ablaze with thoughts about the chat we'd just had. It seems we had been given the privilege of knowing a lot more of the goings on than usually happens. I wasn't sure if this was a good thing or a bad thing. There was no way that we could discuss it now, in the middle of school. It would have to wait till we got to the comfort of our rooms. There was also the impending punishment. I hope we weren't kicked out of this school and transferred to one of the other ones.

As soon as we entered the common room we were grabbed, by a bunch of students and dragged to one of the couches, demanding to know if we were going to be okay. They were worried because we'd been gone for so long.

"Listen up everyone!" called Melisa, the leader of year D. "David and Christopher did what they did for a reason. At The Manor, because we've been there longer, we know there are certain students who seem to know extra things. Since they can't tell us what's happening, we just have to accept and help as much as we can. We have learned not to query certain things. You seem to have learned that lesson a lot quicker."

"Wendy, my sister who is two years older than me, told me that David and Christopher were special students and had more information," Jessica added. "That's why we voted for them as year leaders. They do an excellent job."

"That's what I mean," continued Melissa. "Take today, I take it their behaviour isn't normally like that?"

"No," replied Paula. "The only time they have ever got into trouble before was in Paris and that didn't seem right either."

"Do you want to say anything?" Jessica asked me. "You and Christopher seem awfully quiet."

"Two reasons," answered Christopher. "How can I say anything about what you've just said, it is so laughable. The main reason is, we are waiting to hear, in about ten minutes, what our punishment shall be."

"We'll be there with you," said Anna.

"Did we miss anything else?" I asked.

"I have an appointment tomorrow morning with one of The Manor psychiatrists called Kathy Ray," Sam informed us all. "It seems that she has some knowledge on my condition, so she and Dan are going to chat with me about it and the implications. After lunch, Jessica is joining us."

"I'm glad," Christopher said, giving Sam a hug. "It's about time you had assistance. I know you're frightened of telling us, but when you are ready we will be there for you."

At the allotted time, there was a sharp knock on the door. Each different teacher had a slightly different knock and Mr Hobson's is quite distinct. What the knock didn't tell you was how many people were with him. When Clara opened the door, we saw it wasn't just Mr Hobson, but he was accompanied by Rachel.

"I'll keep this short," said Mr Hobson, as he strode into the room. "One of the duties of a year leader is to set an example to the others in that year. Today, the way David and Christopher encouraged others to misbehave was, in my mind, not in keeping with that role. Therefore, they have been removed as year leaders. I would like all of the year one students to again vote for who they think would be a good candidate to be year leader. You should vote tonight after ten, when you will be in your own rooms. The vote will close at midnight and I will notify you before breakfast tomorrow. Any questions? No? Then I wish you all a pleasant evening."

I wondered why Rachel came. She didn't seem to do much other than stand and observe. Very strange. Perhaps she was there to answer questions, if it seemed they needed to be answered by someone other than the headmaster.

Everyone had an early night and were up early the next morning, eager to get to the year room to find the details of who would be the new leader of year one. The American's were there just as early as we were. It had been unheard of for a re-election of a year leader. As we waited for Mr Hobson, Helen and I received a message on our PDAs. There would be a special meeting of the beta team tonight at half-ten. Since it was past our curfew Brenda would collect us.

"I wonder if we will be removed from that position as well," I whispered to Helen.

"I doubt it," she whispered in reply. "I doubt they would have kept us in that meeting, if that was going to happen."

I wasn't convinced, but didn't have time to voice my concerns, which was good as it wasn't really the place. Mr Hobson had knocked at the door and was being ushered in.

"Are you all sure of how you voted?" asked Mr Hobson, looking at everyone sternly.

We all nodded.

"Very well. It seems you all voted exactly the same as you did last time. Therefore, David and Helen are again both joint year leaders. It is nice to see that you have faith in them. I will see you all at breakfast."

"Thank you," was all I could say. I hadn't expected that result. "But why?"

There was a lot of shrugging of shoulders. "Don't analyse it," Melissa told us. "They obviously think highly of you."

The nodding of the others was spoilt when Lewis asked, "Can we go for breakfast now?" He was nearly drowned in cushions.

We were slightly early for breakfast, but so was the entire school. They had all heard the rumours about their being an unprecedented year leadership election and wanted to hear the results.

"It's a good job that the kitchen staff are miracle workers, or you would all have to wait for the allotted time," stated Mr Hobson. "Either that or I can ramble on for slightly longer than normal." That led to a universal groan. "Okay, yesterday, for reasons I'm not going to get into, we held a special re-election of the year one leadership. It gives me great pleasure to announce that their view of Helen and David is unchanged and they will continue as leaders. Now that's enough from me, enjoy your breakfast."

Since we finished breakfast with plenty of time before lessons, we all went off to the common room. Helen disappeared with Melissa for a while. I had an idea what they were discussing, so I kept quiet.

The day passed quickly. Neither Sam or Jessica were at lunch, but word from Becky, our psychiatrist for the day, was that things were going well.

"Do you think that Sam will ever open up to us?" Jill asked her.

"Eventually. It is very hard for Sam to trust others. Telling Jessica was very hard, but Jessica has done well. By keeping the secret, it has strengthened Sam's confidence in others. Sam is very frightened of being ridiculed and I can see why. When Sam does tell you all, then I want you to promise that you won't laugh and be open-minded. What Sam has is a real medical condition; just as others like Emma have specific medical conditions."

* * *

"So what did you do?" asked Matilda as we continued our project work that evening.

"Do?"

"To get into so much trouble during the trip to London. I've never heard of someone getting publicly hauled off to the principal's office like that."

"Helen and I got a little carried away," I explained, sticking to the official line. "How did you hear about it anyway?"

"You know me; I like to know what's happening."

"You need to be more discreet, or you will get into serious trouble," I said. Then realised how hypocritical I was being. I wasn't always discreet and yes, I kept getting into trouble, so I suppose my advice was true. "By the way, did you give Julia the complete list of hacks?"

"Um, sort of."

"Let me guess, you excluded the ones where you were successful?"

"Yeah, well I suppose what she doesn't know won't hurt her."

"Yes, but I know. I'm not going to snitch, but if we don't know that there is a security hole, then it can't be fixed."

"Yeah, but-"

"Look, if you don't tell them now and it's found out later, you will be bigger trouble."

"I did all the reports, I just didn't give Julia all of them," she replied in a shaky voice.

"Look, send them now and see how long it takes for her to get here," I smiled, knowing how Julia would react. Oh, how I wished I could see her face when she got the new reports.

"You're kidding? She wouldn't come here now, would she?"

"If she thinks there is a security hole, she will. Anyway, let's see if we can get this box hacked before she does, at least that might distract her."

Somehow, I think Matilda's middle name is trouble. She doesn't look for it, but whenever something is happening, she seems to be in the centre of it. Some of the trouble, such as the hacking, she brings upon herself. Other times, it sounds like she is drawn to it. If she learns to control her inquisitiveness, then I'm sure she will go far.

It didn't take Julia long to appear. Her face didn't look happy, but on the other side, her poker face didn't show any anger either.

"Matilda, I've just got the rest of your reports. Have you been over them with David?"

"No, he knows about them, but you're the only one who's seen them."

"Some of these happened yesterday while you were in London. I've checked the log and there was nothing from your PDA."

Matilda gave a small smile. "I didn't use the PDA I was issued when I arrived. I used my PDA, which has a link back to The Manor. I was able to use tools I'd written on my server there."

"Your server?"

She nodded shyly.

"I take it nobody else knows about this box?"

"Only RJ and Mr Moore." Julia's face didn't change, but just stared at Matilda through narrowed eyes.

"I can see that I need to have a long chat with RJ. Since you've had so much fun with the live servers, I presume you've finished the test I gave you?"

It was my turn to give a small smile, as I pressed the send button on my PDA with the solution.

"Well done," Julia said as she scanned the results. "I didn't expect you to do it this quickly. I will be setting you something new at your next lesson. Now scoot and have time with your years."

"Do you think I've got away with it?" Matilda asked me, as we walked back from the classroom area.

"I very much doubt it. As far as I can gather, you are given a lot more freedom than you would at a normal school, as they want to encourage you to learn. However, there are limits to what is allowed. You have come clean, so I doubt they will try and lock you out of the system. Heck, sometimes it is better to have someone with your skills testing and enhancing things. Anyway, I'm sure they wouldn't have much more to say than yesterday, when you were told off."

"It's not nice being in trouble."

"No, it isn't," I confirmed. "It hurts even more when you have to take the blame for something you shouldn't."

"Why would you do that?" asked a shocked Matilda.

"Because sometimes it isn't good for everyone to know what's going on."

"Was yesterday one of those times?"

"Yes and also once before. You know a lot more than you should and that knowledge has to be guarded. Before lunch on Monday, you mentioned a series of names who you thought would be good to go to London. I presume you didn't choose those names by accident."

"No."

"How much do you know?"

"According to Ellen, too much. Am I in more trouble?"

"Look, it was a discreet way for you to tell me that you knew certain things and definitely a lot more subtle than I was with Mr Black today."

Matilda stopped and looked at me in shock. "You didn't tell him what you suspected, did you?" she whispered. "Even I'm not stupid enough to do that."

"Not directly, but enough for him to know what I knew, but subtly enough not to get hung."

"So what did you get into trouble for?"

"Saving Mr Black's neck."

"Thanks for telling me," said Matilda. "I never thought about having to sacrifice myself to save someone else. I guess I'm too young for things like that."

"I think I'm too young," I sighed. "However, I'm just as nosey as you are and have got myself involved in certain things. Enjoy yourself while you can and don't grow up before you have to."

"Aren't you happy here, doing what you do?"

"Yes, I'm happy. I'm glad I'm doing what I am. I can make a difference, which I never could in my previous school. Do you miss your old school?"

"You're joking, right?" exclaimed Matilda in horror. "I was bullied at school and abused by my father at home. Going to The Manor saved my life, literally."

'Abused?' I thought to myself. I was unsure what she meant by that or by the school literally saving her life, so I thought I better not ask without finding out more details. My thoughts turned to what Julia had asked the other day, "Do you find it hard seeing your mum and her not being able to be your mum?"

"There's a good reason for that," instantly said Matilda, in what sounded a very well rehearsed phrase. "I'm not any worse off than any other student."

"That's untrue. You see your mum at school and are reminded everyday of what you've lost. So, back to my original question, do you find it hard?"

"I found it harder telling my mum not to visit me in hospital, because Mary-Beth's parents wouldn't visit her. Mary Beth really missed her family and it was just hurting her more for her to see me having a good time."

"You're avoiding the question," I pointed out, not wanting her to avoid the point. I also didn't know much about her past and was worried that a wrong phrase would upset her.

"YES, ALRIGHT, I MISS MY MUM!" she yelled, starting to cry. "It hurts me when I see her walk by, knowing we can't even give each other a hug. I remember the look on her face as I went off to the school, knowing that we would be apart and not able to tell me. The school has given me so much, but at what price? Mum was so supportive when she found out about me. She helped me, even when my Dad had threatened her and she didn't really know where to turn. Yes David, I really miss her ... I miss her so very, very-"

'Oh crap, what have I uncovered here?' I thought, as Matilda collapsed onto the floor and burst into tears. We were still in the classroom block, so I picked her up and carried her into one of the discussion rooms. It wasn't as comfortable as a year common room, but at least it wasn't as austere as one of the standard classrooms.

I grabbed my PDA and quickly made a call. "Helen, I'm in room D3 with Matilda from year B. We were discussing about her mum working at her school and not being able to see her. I think she's been bottling this up, as she broke down in floods of tears."

"Do you want me to contact Rachel?"

"No, I want to keep this quiet. Matilda would probably be embarrassed and I've no idea what her mum's reaction would be. Can you have a quiet word with Jill and Erika and see if they can come and talk about their experiences?"

"It might work," agreed Helen. "I'll see what I can do. If not, I'll be down myself."

There was no need for Helen to make that last promise, as I was sure that Jill would come. I didn't really know Erika, but she was a friend of Jill and that was a good enough inkling that she would turn up.

"It's okay, Matilda," I said, as I sat next to her and took her into my arms. "If it's any consolation I miss my family too. We weren't much of a family, neither of my parents could cook, but we loved each other. I can only imagine how it must be for you."

Matilda nodded and continued to sob, getting my top wet. I didn't have to wait too long, as two breathless girls came quietly into the room.

"Matilda," I said gently. "You probably already know Erika. I would like you to meet Jill, who it looks as if she broke several school rules by getting here this quickly. Erika and Jill share something with you. They also have parents who work at the schools. They understand what it's like to see their parents and be reminded of their separation."

"I have Julia for computer classes," started Jill, taking my position next to Matilda and taking her into her arms.

"Let me know how it goes," I said quietly to Erika, as Jill talked with Matilda.

"You better warn her psychiatrist, just in case," murmured Erika back. "I don't know who it is, but Jenny, their year leader should."

I tiptoed out of the room and found Helen waiting with Melissa. "Melissa, do you know Jenny in year B?"

"Of course. I'll introduce you now. Jenny will deal with telling Mary Beth. Knowing how close Mary Beth and Matilda are, she will take this very hard and will probably kick up a fuss if she doesn't see Matilda this very instant."

"Hang on a second," I said, quickly pressing buttons on my PDA. If Matilda could be naughty then so could I. "Okay, it seems Matilda has Ellen as her psychiatrist."

"David!" scolded Helen. She, like all students, knew that the student's psychiatrist wasn't shown on the information screen.

I smiled when we got to the year B common room. It was an area which had been part of the old dining room area, which wasn't needed when they built the bigger dining area. It would be interesting to see what it was like.

Melissa knocked and the door was gently opened. "Aloha," the boy at the door greeted.

"Hi Howard, can you ask Jenny to come out for a few minutes?"

"Sure Melissa, just a moment," he replied closing the door behind him.

The door soon opened again and a young girl with a shining smile appeared.

"Hi Melissa," she said as she closed the door behind her. "Howard said you wanted me?"

"Jenny, meet David and Helen. They are year one team leaders. David needs to update you on something."

"Matilda broke down a few minutes ago. We were chatting about how she misses her mother and how it hurts to see her around the school."

"I had never thought about that," said Jenny. "It must be awful for her. Where is she now? With Ellen?"

"No, she's with Erika and Jill. I'm sure you know Erika. Jill is in year one. Julia, the computer studies teacher here is one of Jill's parents. Since Erika and Jill have similar experiences to Matilda, I've left them chatting about it."

"We were not expecting Matilda to be back for a while, knowing she was working on a project, so Mary Beth will not be worried. At least not yet."

"I'll let Ellen know, just in case," I added.

"Good idea," Jenny replied. "I will keep all of year B busy, so that nobody notices."

With everything in place, Jenny disappeared and I failed to get more than a glimpse of what the year B room looked like. "Thanks for the intro, Melissa. Could you update Anna and Martha while we see Ellen?"

"Be happy to," Melissa replied, giving a small wave as she disappeared.

I quickly pulled up Ellen's name in the contact list and pressed the dial button. As I waited for her to answer, I gave a quick prayer that she wouldn't be upset, or cause more issues.

"Ellen, sorry to disturb you," I said as she answered. There was no need to let her know who I was, as her PDA would tell her who was calling. "I was wondering, is it okay if I come and have a chat with you?"

"Sure, David" she replied. "I'm in my office and have nobody with me. Is now okay with you?"

"That's perfect. I'll be there in a few minutes."

"Do you want me to come with you?" asked Helen after I'd ended the call.

"I suppose it will save me having to repeat what happened," I said trying to smile. "Before you left the common room, were Sam and Jessica back?"

"Yes, they got back about half an hour ago."

"And?"

"Sam wanted to wait till you were back so that everyone got the information at the same time."

"I suppose that makes sense."

The PDA guided us to Ellen's office and nervously I knocked. I'd not had much to do with the American psychiatrists, so I was slightly nervous at how they would react. Were they stricter than our friendly UK ones?

"Come in."

I opened the door and found it was laid out slightly different from the ones I'd been in before. Perhaps this replicates how they have the rooms at Immigration Manor.

"Have a seat," Ellen said showing us the comfy settee. "I was quite surprised when you asked for this meeting, as I'd have expected you to see Rachel if you had a problem. So what can I do for the two of you?"

"I thought it was important that I update you on one of your students," I explained. "Helen is here for moral support."

"I don't bite," Ellen laughed. "Okay, so which of my students is in trouble this time?"

"No trouble, but it's Matilda. We were talking about her mother and if she found it difficult being a student and not being allowed to see her mother, even though they are at the same school."

"Where is Matilda now?" asked Ellen quickly and calmly, but with some urgency. "You haven't left her alone, have you?"

"Of course not," I replied a bit indignantly. "Jill and Erika are with her. As you know Erika's Dad works at The Manor, and Jill is the child of Ms Toms, the computer studies teacher here."

"You have an interesting way of phrasing things to explain the facts, but hide things that might not want to be said," observed Ellen. "It's okay. I know of Ms Toms condition, but why did you say child instead of daughter."

"Jill was born Bill, but has a medical condition where the body has selective insensitivity to male hormones. Jill has male parts and doesn't want to get rid of them, but has a very feminine look. Jill lives as female, as she finds it easier to pass that way."

"That explains a few things, thank you. So you thought the shared experiences of Jill and Erika might help Matilda?"

"I hope so," I replied. "Ms Toms had mentioned the other day that she'd spoken about introducing Matilda to Jill and Erika. I thought that the shared experience would be the least embarrassing to Matilda. It also helps reinforce the 'students look out for each other' mentality to Jill, who's only been here for six months."

"You handled the situation well," praised Ellen. "Let me just send a message to Jill and Erika, letting them know I'm available, 'if needed; ... there, that's done. Is there anything else?"

"I hope Matilda didn't get into too much trouble over the choir incident. She didn't mean to cause harm. She just needs to learn to think of the consequences."

"That's one of the things we've been trying to teach her, though it is being done carefully. As you said, she has a lot of talent and we don’t want to destroy that."

"When she's ready, she'll be an excellent member to your team."

"Stop fishing," hissed Helen, elbowing me.

"In some ways you're as bad as Matilda," giggled Ellen.

"Though you obviously understood what I was saying. Matilda also mentioned something about being abused by her father. Was she exaggerating?"

Ellen paused for a moment, as if deciding whether to tell us anything. Finally, "No, I'm afraid not. After what he did, he'll be in prison for twenty-five years. There is more to it, but I'm afraid that's all I can tell you. It wasn't a very nice time for Matilda, her mother, or any of the other children."

"Oh. Matilda seems such a sweet girl. She doesn't deserve to have memories like that. Nor do any other children who are abused. It doesn't matter to me if they are transsexual, gay, straight or from the planet Zob. Nobody deserves to have to live with that. Children are supposed to be innocents."

"Yet we aren't allowed to be innocents," I continued. "We are encouraged to work harder than other children and are trained to put ourselves in danger."

"If you feel that way, perhaps you should talk to Rachel or Mr Hobson., but as far as I've seen, you play a lot harder than other children do."

"I don't really feel grieved," I backtracked. "Nobody has ever told me that we had to study at the level we do, it just feels right for us all to learn to our potential. I was never allowed to do my best at my old school. As for the additional training, I'm happy about that as well. I've no idea why, but it feels right."

"Before we go back to the common room, was Kathy able to help Sam?" asked Helen.

"Yes, it seems the discussion she had with Sam was very much an eye opener for Dan. It was also a great help for Jessica."

"Is there anything we can do to help?"

"Just be there for Sam, and Jessica. This is very difficult for both of them. In some ways, it is distracting Jessica from her own issues. When you first saw Jessica dressed, was she passable?"

"I suppose not," said Helen thoughtfully.

"Did you laugh at her, or ridicule her?"

"Of course not! But what has that to do with Sam? Sam looks like a girl when dressed as a girl, and looks like a boy when dressed as a boy."

"What I'm saying is, just treat Sam as Sam wants to be treated and don't ridicule. That is the best thing you can do."

As we walked back to our common room with those words of advice ringing in our ears, we pondered their meaning. What was wrong with Sam?

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.

up
275 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Not unexpected

Jamie Lee's picture

These kids have so much baggage it's a wonder they can even function as they do. And they may act as they do because of that baggage.

Matilda gets into systems she knows she shouldn't, and in doing this she draws attention to herself. And when she draws attention to herself she then fears she's in trouble. The abuse Matilda suffered has her programmed to do exactly what she's doing, and it's this pattern Ellen and the other at the Manor have to break.

Erika, Jill, and Matilda are tortured every day by seeing their parent and at the same time being 'rejected' because of the rule. This, on top of their other emotional issues, puts a tremendous amount of stress on them.

David and Helen, for their ages, show a remarkable ability to think of others before themselves. They didn't have to help Mr. Taylor or Mr. Black, but they did. And they did knowing full well they'd have to be punished to keep up appearances. And this has now created a problem.

David can no longer afford acting as he did the last two times because the others in year one are starting to catch on to something more going on. And Mr. Hobson would have to do something more severe the next time.

The results of their last punishment didn't seem to surprise Mr. Hobson. It seems he actually expected the results of the re-election.

Since David has pulled their fat out of the fire twice, maybe they should plan how to use David to be the distraction but not enough of one to again be punished for appearance sake.

Others have feelings too.

Looks Like Hobson Really Did Not Want To Punish The Kids

the punishment was that David and Christopher were to be dropped as leaders, but the kids voted for the troublemakers to be leaders again. I think he knew that would happen. Then poor Matilda breaks down after confronting her past. That piece of trash dad abused her. No kid should be hurt that way. May that beast lose his innocence every day and night. In America, Child abusers are abused daily. Sorry, but I know too many kids that have been hurt.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Who Is Karen Payne? Giggle, giggle...

She has been making the posts for Karen Page for a while now. Just wondering...

Oh, and about the story? You bet it's a story and another wonderful chapter with another great ending that begs for more!

I don't know how you do it Karen, I mean, keeping all of these unique characters in a balance that has them changing from boy to girl clothes, spying, doing all sorts of cool intriguing things, going to school and learning all sorts of interesting things!

Oh, add to that another school from America comes to stay for awhile, GEEZE! An orchestra, and now a choir from the USA!

You make my story QoHM seem like a simple one to write! Giggle, giggle. Well, compared to this one of yours, mine is a simple one to write, then why am I having so much trouble finishing it? Oh yeah! Your Karen Page! No comparison! Giggle, giggle.

Huggles Karen
Angel

Be yourself, so easy to say, so hard to live.

"Be Your-Self, So Easy to Say, So Hard to Live!"

re: Who is Karen Payne

Angel,

My writing name is Karen Page, but unfortunately when I post with the Karen Page account it doesn't allow comments. Since I think it is only fair for readers to be able to voice their opinions ( good or bad) about what they've read, I post using a different name.

Yes my legal name since December 15th 2006 has been Karen but my legal surname is neither Payne or Page.

Hugs

Karen

Congrats to your name change *hugs*

Thank you for an other fantastic chapter Karen.

You really make the school and characters come to life and make me want to be one of the girls there. - ah if only

Its great to hear your real live is progressing as well.
Did you have a party or call some friends when you got the OK for the name change? After all its one of those many tiny steps that are so giantly important to us.

I see my SRS surgeon on the 24th of Jan for a presurgery talk.
Then it will probably be another 13 to 14 months till the surgery it self. Mid December I got the OK from my health insurance that they will cover the costs of the surgery.

But with all those things going well for me there is one thing they can't give me. My childhood and youth as a girl.

They can't - but you do with your storys. Thanks sooooooooo much for that.

big hugs

Holly

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

How do you do it?

Another chapter that raises many more questions and leaves the reader dying to read what happens next. I hope the next chapter is here soon.

I need a score card!

Karen,

Wowser there are so many twists and turns to this story.
I need a score card just to keep tract of the players in this story.
It just keeps getting better and better!

Huggels!

"Be excellent to each other,

And PARTY ON DUDES. & DUDETTS"

Bill and Ted had it correct.
When will you?

You've done good! K.P.

Konichiwa

Well, Wow!

Thank you Karen for another wonderful chapter.

I look forward to reading this series through to the end, like I have all of your work.

Keep it up.

Kate
"While the rest of the human race are descended from monkeys, redheads derive from cats."

Kate
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." William Gibson

Score card ------ YES!!!!! -- there's an idea.

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Thank you Karen,

Though I almost agree with Chris about the score card to keep track of the characters, I wouldn't change a single keystroke.

Each chapter of your work is worth more than entire libraries of works by many other authors.

I keep hoping that you will make scads of grammatical errors so that I could offer my services as a proofreader, but I never find any. Now there are three possibilities for this; #1 you write so perfectly that you make no mistakes, #2 you already have a superb team of proofreaders, or #3 the story is so compelling that any mistakes are completely ignored. The truth of the matter is I don't really care which is the reason, I'm just upset that I can't be a proofreader for you so that I would get to read the stories just that little bit earlier.

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.