A different angel 11

Printer-friendly version

A different angel Chp 11

That caused Richard to raise an eyebrow in confusion and Tracy shook her head and mouthed later. The time that Richard had spent with Steph had opened his eyes to a few things and he noticed that David wasn't really there, there was a girl there though. Richard made sure his sibling was looking at him and mouthed silently.
“why don't you introduce yourself sis?”

Tracy nearly fainted right off with that comment and looked at her younger brother. She wondered how he could be so incisive and unknowing had mimicked the expression Steph had when she had told Richard about herself. There was no violence in her brother and there was the warmth from Ginny and the smile of understanding from Ginny's mother although there was still the slight fear of the unknown in the adults body language.

Seeing that reaction from the adult in the room caused Richard to do what his mother referred to as spocking, tilting his head and raising his right eyebrow. His mum and he shared a love of science fiction and the original star trek. His dad was more into physical things and rarely watched or read fiction. Richard gently reached a hand and touched his older siblings hand and squeezed gently. The brief moment was interrupted by Ginny giggling and then trying to climb up onto the hospital bed and her mother trying to restrain her slightly. That little dynamo was not willing to be deterred though and managed it and then wriggling over the two siblings hands wrapped Richard in what could only be called an atomic hug.

“RRRRRIIIIICCCHHHIIEE!!!” Ginny managed to make his name a whine as she wanted to give her hero attention and the grown ups were spoiling it.

“Whhhaaatttttt ssssmmmuuudddgggeee?” Richard mimicked the whine right back at her causing Mrs Harris to laugh gently . Ginny pouted and Tracy joined Ginny's mother in laughing gently. Any further reply was cut off as the small frame of Steph darted into the room and bolted for the corner.

Mrs Harris saw what to her was the blur of someone dashing past and then hiding in a corner. Thankfully Ginny didn't notice it as her attention was still firmly riveted to her hero laying in he hospital bed and his big sister. Tracy had also seen the small figure and she wondered what the devil was going on now. Out in the corridor of the ward that lead to the main area there was the sounds of raised voices. What was being shouted was muffled by the sounds around the ward but the tone was definitely not friendly. A young nurse peered into the room and scanned and then nodded when she saw Steph hiding in the corner trying to squeeze into the space behind one of the visitors chairs.

The shouting increased in volume and other voices had become raised. The nurse made her way into Richards room and slightly closed the door and walked over to Richard and quietly asked if Stephen was welcomed in his room. Richard nodded and then seemed to notice where Steph/Stephen was hiding. There was the sounds of a fight following the shouting and then two police officers ran past the door to the room.

“well I definitely am not missing my soaps today” Mrs Harris tried to joke all the while keeping an eye on the small child hiding behind the chair as well as protecting Ginny.

Ginny looked confused at all the noise outside and then glanced around seeing another child that seemed her age hiding behind the visitors chair. She could see this peer was frightened over something and then in her usual way took the matter outer the bigger peoples hands. She wriggled and hopped off the bed and walked over to where Steph was hiding. She smiled as she approached and then stood a few paces away from Steph then put her hands behind her back to show she wasn't going to hurt the other.

Mrs Harris was surprised seeing her daughter acting in such a mature manner and turned her attention fully to Steph and Ginny. This caused both Tracy and Richard to pay attention to what was going on in the room more than each other. Richard due to his nature seeing that Steph was scared tried to struggle to get out of the hospital bed and Tracy feeling the movement shook her head and gently pushed him back down.

Steph saw the girl walking towards her and then was surprised when she stopped and then put her hands behind her back. She couldn't help but feel jealous of this girl standing there in a cute blue cotton summer dress and long hair being held back by a matching Alice band. She no longer could hear her father ranting in the hallway and she hoped he had been taken by the police. The stress started to leave her and finally taking in the people around her saw Richard in his bed and an older boy, dressed in a rather androgynous manner gently stopping him from getting up and a woman was there in the room.

To Steph the woman had the look of a social worker but there was also something else. The other girl in the room wasn't behaving like a social care kid would be and seemed to be acting friendly. As Steph was trying to decide what to do there was a knock on the rooms semi open. After waiting a few seconds the person knocking on the door peeked in and the head and shoulders of a woman in a police uniform became visible. Tracy and Richard were a little surprised by this but Mrs Harris smiled, she recognized inspector Karen Robertson Smythe form the Child protection Unit.

Karen scanned the room and her gaze settled on the small figure of Steph and if anything her smile seemed to get bigger. Her blue eyes shone with a warmth and compassion and her auburn hair was in a decidedly professional but mumsy style. In fact the 30 year old was perfect for her role as designated officer for children under a police protection Order by both appearance and manner. The junior officers at the station referred to her as Mummy Dearest and she actually took that nickname with pride. She as a little surprised to see Bethany Harris there as she was supposed to be on 3 days compassionate leave from the social services after what had happened with her daughter.

Beth smiled seeing Karen at the door and knew that she was there for the little child that Ginny was trying to calm. Seeing how her daughter was to someone in need made her proud also, she had never tried to instil her own code of ethics into her child. It seemed Ginny was a natural and Beth hoped that she might follow her into social work. Ginny had remained focused on the other child and still standing there showing a warm smile quietly whispered.

“hi I'm Ginny, that's my Mummy and Richards the poorly boy in the bed an the bigger one with him is his secret sister.”

Beth hearing her daughter give out Tracy's secret so openly made her want to groan and she looked worriedly at Karen. Seeing the police inspector just shake her head and raise an eyebrow she mouthed she would explain in a little while. In those few seconds and words Karen had come into the room receiving the nod from both Bethany and Richard. It was ingrained for her to wait for an adult in a room to invite her in with either gesture or word but then she realised that Richard was the resident of this room and Beth the guest.

Richard waited for the officer to introduce herself and why she was here and also worrying if he or Steph was in trouble for something. He was put a little at ease by her smile and her relaxed manner once she was fully into the room.

“Morning folks I'm Karen, as you can see I'm a copper” Karen introduced herself and Steph let out a high wail and tried to bolt for the door again.

up
117 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Welcome back

I admit that after a year hiatus I had forgotten about this story, so went back and read from the beginning. Thank you for resuming this one.

Looking forward to many more episodes.

Thanks!

Thanks for continuing this one, looking forward to see where it goes :)

Sounds like

Someone needs a break from their parents, and their parents need a break in the hoosegow to cool down.