Essentially Egg. Part 20 of 39

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 20

He turned to look at his wife. “Did you feel something, darling?”

“Of course, I did, you big lump. Not that you would notice without being told.” She came over to me and hugged me. “Thank you, I think my husband may be in for a torrid time, because now I’m able to stand up for myself. I know how I can get my way in future.”

“Go get him, girl,” I smiled.

She stepped back, now beside him, not behind as she had been before.

I turned to Kelly. “I think that it may be time we left for the hotel. It’s been a long day.”

Kelly took me aside, “Please hang about a while, until the others have left. You girls have really made Algernon’s party one that will be spoken about for months. I rather think that he would very much like to have a quiet discussion, afterward. He’s a dear friend and I’m proud to know him, especially now he’s seen the light of the real world. He’s been a driven man up to now and may be ready to open up. Not to say that he didn’t open up already tonight. You realize that his input will guarantee the orchestra continues for a long time. I rather believe that it’s all because of you girls.”

Jordan and I went back to the band. They had congregated in a group with a few extras.

Antonio was there, so I went and gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek, “Well played, maestro. We wowed them, again.”

“Edie, there’s a lot I have to thank you for and one of them is that Richard has asked me to solo in one of the cello concertos next year. It would never have happened without the Swan.”

I congratulated him and told him he deserved it. The viola first also came over and gave me a hug, telling me that it had been an absolute honor to be on stage with the Pixies.

I saw the small band starting to take down their kit. I went over and thanked them for the use of their instruments.

The guitar played snorted. “You’re thanking us? It’s us who should thank you girls. That was an honor to be able to watch. It was a masterclass on how to entertain and I know all of us learned something. I had my phone filming Joyce as she played. And you, well you did things on the piano that would have my teacher pulling her hair out. How on earth did your teacher let you get away with those fingerings?”

I laughed. “Teacher? What teacher? I’m purely self-taught by listening to albums, reading sheet music, and playing along on an old upright that my Dad saved from the dump at the junior high school. It was the same with guitar, and the violin.”

“You play guitar as well? Please show us, so I can tell people that the great Edie Grosse has played my guitar.”

I picked up his guitar, which was still plugged in, and started playing a few tunes while he filmed me.

The orchestra guys saw me and came over. “Pity you never took up classical guitar.”

I just had to start playing some Segovia pieces for him. “That’ll take the wind out of his sails,” I thought. Silly me. Richard and Kelly had big grins, and I could tell that Allan had his cha-chinging coin mind in overdrive.

The New Yorker asked, when I stopped. “Do you know the Rodrigo?”

I played a bit of that wonderful tune from the Concierto de Aranjuez. Joyce also stood and watched with a look of interest in her eyes. I didn’t go very far with it because it sounds better with an orchestra.

Richard asked. “How many dates have you clear next year, Edie? We could feature you in the double violin concert that we have planned. We could do another piano concerto. Now you’ve just shown us that we could run a guitar concert. How many more instruments do you play?”

I told him that he’d heard my complete package.

Slowly, the other guests took their leave. In the end, it was just us and the hosts and a photographer from the social pages, who posed us in various groupings, before he thanked Algernon for the invitation and left.

Algernon took us back into the dining area. We sat at the top table again and he had his footmen bring out the best brandy. “A toast to whatever angel is watching over us. My life is turned on its head. My girls have been on the stage singing with pop stars and my wife has a lifetime of social scene ahead of her.”

We all answered. “To the angel!”

I’m not a spirits drinker and that brandy was like fire in the throat followed by a warm feeling in the stomach.

He added. “Tonight, I announced a number of donations for things that will bolster my own businesses. I’d like to do something that has no direct link with me. Does anyone have any ideas?”

Everyone looked blank.

I nodded. “Yes, I’ve an idea. I know of a couple of guys who were injured in Afghanistan, and it has had a profound effect on my life as well as theirs. Could you sponsor a concert tour that’s aimed at veterans? It could still be your company that’s the naming sponsor, but it will only benefit the vets. It could even be a free show with invited guests only if you want to keep the venue size down.”

Allan had a smile on his face. He knew who I was talking about, even if no-one else did.

Algernon looked shocked. “I served in Vietnam. Since your concert I’ve had no more bad dreams. That’s a great idea, Edie. What do the rest of you think?”

“Don’t worry about asking,” Fiona said. “I think there’s no one here tonight who will disagree with Edie. I think it’s brilliant and we could pay for some of the anti-war singers to hang our flag out for all to see. We could also have patriotic singers who will sing to the vets themselves.”

“For Those Who Served” concerts sprang into life that night. It would become a part of my life but didn’t know it then. We drank to the new project. Finally, we picked up our things and were led by our beaming hosts to the front door where a line of town cars waited just for us. We completed a session of hugs, kisses, and “thank you for coming / inviting us” before we went to our cars.

Our driver held the door for us. I thanked him for waiting so long. He grinned and told me that he was on a special rate since midnight and that he should thank me for buying his next phone for him.

Back at the hotel, Jordan and I went straight to the elevators, up to our floor, into our suite to shed our glad rags on the way to bed. I was tired, but he was a new man with strength and purpose and a totally different technique in bed, from the night before. He played my body like a violin.

I had several orgasms before he came. I lay cradled in his arms and just went to sleep. Who cared about the wet spot?

In the morning I woke up with him gazing at me.

“Wot choo lookin’ at, den?” We laughed, and he kissed me once more. I lay in his arm with my head on his shoulder.

He smiled over at me. “Sweetheart, I still can’t believe that I’m in bed with you. I find it hard to believe what happened yesterday. It was like someone’s dream, but I was living in it. That Algernon was a really nice guy. I talked to a billionaire.”

“Just think, darling, he may be in his bed with his wife right now, saying, ‘I can’t believe that I had a friendly discussion with that nice Jordan.”

We showered, dressed, and picked up last night’s clothing before we went down for breakfast.

Jordan asked, “What about these outfits?”

I told him that the outfitters would come by the hotel to pick them up. We only got charged if they were damaged.

At breakfast you could tell who had a good night sleeping. The rest of us just looked like we had a good night. Allan told me that he didn’t have his usual dream and Helen said that it was probably the first night without it since they were married.

Matt was as bright as a button as he looked through the national morning paper for the football results.

Abigail remarked, “The way we played last night was dreamy, not how we usually do things. I wonder if we could recreate the sound for the Stability album; it would certainly be different.”

I told her that we had better leave that for a couple of albums in the future, because it was something we should keep back for private functions like last night.

Joyce asked, “Do you think we’ll be asked to more, then?”

I told them all about the three guys with orchestras who were keen to get us on their stages. I thought that they would have sponsors in Chicago, Washington, and New York who may put something on.

“Then you can play more of that classical guitar,” Joyce said, “Last night was fabulous when you did the bit of the Rodrigo. Can you play it all from memory?”

I told her that I had played a lot of things when I was young, accompanying albums. I hadn’t played that piece for about ten years. I would have to listen to it again to reset the memory.

I told her that knowing lots of small pieces we played on stage was harder because it was all different tunes, different times, and different keys. Classical music, even the long concertos, had a progression, usually, which made them easier to remember, even if you couldn’t remember the end when you started at the beginning.

Allan told us that he thought we may have some dates in the next couple of years alongside orchestras. It was a good thing because it widened the buying demographic. Then he asked, “What about that suggestion at the end -- the shows for the vets?”

Pet said that she thought we would not be in many, seeing the age of the audience. Algernon or Fiona would need to create an office and a set of contacts, to put all the shows together.

Flora said that she thought that if they set up for shows on military bases with local vets bussed in, the singers and players might be able to be transported by the military, as it would be a good look for the current administration.

A waitress brought us a few copies of the local paper and said that we should look at the society page. There was an article with the heading ‘Local Businessman to Sponsor Orchestra’ and an article about the things he had announced with photos, and a rider that the Pixies had performed for the guests.

There were a couple of sidebars on the group and also of Pet and me as concert soloists. The writer had remembered pretty much everything we had talked about. I thought that the overall article was a good report on the evening.

Allan kept a couple of the papers to add to his clipping file which must be in its second or third book. We stood up to leave the table and Allan told us we had twenty minutes to be back in the lobby, as our morning was now filled.

We went back to our rooms to pack, ready for the flight this afternoon and then assembled again in the lobby. A bus picked us up and we were taken to the big Aged Care center where Algernon and Fiona were waiting.

We spent a couple of hours talking to the residents and signing autographs as many of the women there were Stable Sisters fans. The old guys were just happy to see six bright young women grace their home.

Jordan asked me why we did it.

I told him that with what Algernon had put into the orchestra and, indirectly, our band; it was a small thing to do in return. We played on stage to make people happy, and it was just the same sort of thing that we were doing now, making people happy, especially those whose whole world was now enclosed by four walls.

He gazed into my eyes. “Edie, my darling, you six are all angels. I’m honored to be among you.”

Algernon and Fiona got on the bus with us when we left and directed our driver to a very good restaurant with their own driver following. We had another great meal.

Jordan remarked that if he came on other trips, he would have to get an exercise machine.

I told him that there was one in the stable he could use.

After lunch, we picked up our bags and the bus took us to the airport. While we were waiting in the first-class lounge, Jordan and I sat a little way off so we could talk. I said, “Darling, I have a nice big bed at home, but I don’t think your mother would appreciate you moving out before you graduate as a vet. Once the clinic has been built and you’re working from the farm, we may be able to steal some evenings. Before then, I think, we’ll have to find whatever time we can.”

He agreed and said that his mother had been very protective of him since Josie went off the rails, at an early age. He was glad I wasn’t pushing it, but wondered if he could wait.

He then floored me when he asked if it was possible for him to be listed as the father on the paperwork for Alicia.

“That depends on the state laws,” I answered. “It would be awkward if I was listed as the mother having been a male at the time of birth. If we put Josie down as the mother, then you could be charged with incest.”

He went white and swallowed. “I didn’t think of that.”

“If we put down that Edward Grosse is the father and Josephine Sanders the mother, we can adopt Ali when we’re husband and wife, if you want. We’ll have to contact Josie to get her permission, but I don’t see her standing in the way.

Allan called the two of us over to the rest. “I’ve just been talking to Emily who tells me that you’re all now certain you want to move on as the Stable Sisters. Is that correct?”

We all said it was, so he carried on. “I don’t have much for a couple of months. There’s just a show back in Chicago, which Jack can advertise as a Sisters show. Beyond that Harry wants you back in his hall for a Halloween show, again. After that you’re back in Cleveland late in November and that can revert to the Sisters as well. Are you all sure of this? The Pixies have a proven record and dropping the name could lower your income.”

Pet argued for all of us. “If we play as the Sisters, I think we may lose some of our country rock followers. But when you look at the existing Sisters album sales, I think we may get some of those along to shows because they’ll be happier without the rowdy crowd. We may even gain numbers. We decided that from here on, we’re playing for ourselves. We’ll need to set aside dates for possible classical concerts for the entire group. Those will need a lot more rehearsal than we’re used to.”

Joyce agreed. “If we do go more up-market we won’t have to play lots of shows in big venues because our fans won’t expect it. I’m excited by the idea of doing a show with a full orchestra. I’m sure that Pet and Edie will come up with suitable songs that would fit. I’m all for taking it slower and more rehearsed because I think we may last longer that way.”

We all nodded, and Allan said, “Right, as long as I know what way you’re thinking and that you’re all behind it. I think you’re right to go that way. Let’s face it, if you cement your place as mature artists you stand a chance of going until you’re ready to retire instead of burning out and playing tiny halls in the boondocks for peanuts, while wondering how it all went wrong. I’ll see if I can get you into a Christmas show but it won’t be as crazy as the last one you did.”

When we got back to Detroit our bus was there for us and the porters loaded it with our luggage as we got on board. I told Jordan that he was now in normal class and would have to carry his bag into his home.

We all agreed that when the guys got home their parents or flatmates would hardly know them with the new haircuts and new appreciation of their own worth.

Matt was itching to contact the football team and start playing again. Anton had told us that his fear of rejection for his songs was gone and that he would be submitting ideas and tunes with the aim that the Sisters would play them. Matty and Ian had not undergone the full effect, but both said they had a new desire to do well.

One by one, they were dropped off. The rest of us sat in the bus as couples kissed. When it was time for Jordan to get out, we kissed first, and then got out together.

I spoke to Alicia while he retrieved his bag. I told her to expect a different son in the house from here on as the trip had opened his eyes to the wide world and the possibilities it held for him. Finally, I was alone with Allan and Helen.

Helen sat next to me on the way to the farm. She told me that since I had come into their lives, they both had been cleansed and were ready for anything. She laughed, “With you around, young Edweena, anything is possible.”

I told them that I would take them home if they wanted to stop for a while. When we got to the farm, we unloaded all of our cases and sent the driver on his way.

In the house, my folks greeted us, and Mom said that she could cobble something simple for dinner. We said that we could do simple, after what we had over the weekend.

Allan and Dad went off and Helen and I helped Mom while talking about our experiences of the last few days. Mom was amazed at the fact that we had been honored guests of a billionaire. Helen told her that the band did have to sing for their supper.

Over dinner Dad said, “Allan tells me that you are going to do shows next year for vets. I’m proud of you girls for that. Many of us feel that we’ve been totally forgotten.”

I was feeding Ali at the time and blushed. “It’s just an idea we floated. It’s up to Algernon and Fiona to get put into action.”

Allan then said that I would be pretty busy, if everything happened that had been spoken about. He said that Pet and I would possibly be on a few concert stages and that even the whole band might get a few shows in that environment. When I thought about it there didn’t seem a lot of time for Sisters shows, especially if we did a couple of albums.

We loaded up the Mustang with their cases and I drove them home, helping them take them out when we got to their house.

They both hugged me. Helen gave me a kiss on the cheek and told me that I was a true angel.

I drove home and thought that I doubted that angels drive a Mustang.

Over the next few weeks, we put together a long set with the six of us and different mixes of instruments. Joyce asked me if I could teach her how to play classical guitar. One day, we went to one of the big instrument shops and each picked new ones.

We tried them out in the store, creating a bit of mayhem as the customers realized just who was sitting there and playing something very different. We had never had to bother with buying instruments before, because we had all started out with what we normally used.

By the time we left the store, and put two cases in the Mustang, we had been in a deep conversation with the manager, who had promised to sponsor us should we need anything.

We referred him to Allan and gave him a card which we all tended to carry these days. From then on Joyce would come over to the studio where I showed her the way to play and some of the tricks while Ali would look on from her stroller in wonder. She was growing so fast!

In the middle of October, she had her first birthday. The highchair almost wore as much creamy cake as her face. It was a lovely day for Jordan, me, both sets of grandparents, and godparents to be.

We played Chicago like we’d never been away or had any problems. We did more Sisters songs and the crowd loved it. For once, there was no call for the Devil as a finale, after we had finished with a string of hits.

Between that show and Halloween, we revisited our previous set and added some more that Pet had rejigged in a spooky way. The thing that stumped us was what costume we would wear. We didn’t want to be witches again.

Janet suggested that we all dress as brides but instead of white we have an apricot color.

No-one disputed that so we went to see our costume shop, who said they couldn’t help. Then we went to our dress shop. They were only too happy to outfit us in apricot dresses with short trains and half-veils so we could sing. They had several white wedding dresses, left over from the previous year, on the racks that they could dye. The manager said that she would get them reworked, with a long slit in the side so we could expose a lace garter with a black ribbon.

The show itself wasn’t like the one we’d done so long before. There were two bands on before us. They had reworked their own songs to have a spooky feel. When we went on, we got a lot of guys who called out for us to marry them, including our own guys that were in the audience dressed as grooms. When we finished, we had them come up on the stage to lead us off in twos.

The five guys who had been on the trip were now constant companions when we went away.

Janet had finally snared her singing pupil, Colin, who was only too happy to be mixing with the rest of us. I think that the first time they shared a room in Chicago was the first time for other things, because it was a different couple who went back home the next day.

We kept our Chicago set for Cleveland.

Allan got us another show in Harry’s hall, where we did a half and half Christmas show. It was half our own songs and half traditional carols, with some of the local stable of stars on stage with us.

It was a lovely show, and everyone had a good time. Mom and Dad were there along with Ma and Pa with Jordan and Ali, far more aware of things around her. She loved the music and kept jiggling whenever she heard it. Perhaps she’s destined to be a dancer when she grows up.

The christening was a rousing success, as far as the preacher was concerned. He had a full house, with more outside, and gave a sermon that included a lot of pointed remarks about fidelity and love.

Jordan and I stood next to the font when Alicia Elizabeth Sanders was christened. A lot of press attended. The odd thing was that they mostly got the wrong end of the stick and wrote that Jordan was the father, and I was the mother. We didn’t make that mistake on the official paperwork.

Jordan was now into his third year. Brad was way ahead on the chicken shed conversion. He had the plans approved and the slab had been poured and the steel frame erected before the weather stopped things. The chickens that were left were all in the back of that shed with a partition built to keep the weather out. They would all be gone by March.

The second shed had been finished and was in the early days of production. We had also put a gate into the horse yard in front of the stable. Brad didn’t take long to build a steel frame open fronted shed to house all the cars.

A stone roadway with a generous parking area had been laid. That would leave the area in front of the new vet clinic clear for customers.

Before Christmas I received an official invitation to play a piano concerto in Boston in April, followed by the same in Washington in June. New York had commissioned us to present a full show with them in July. Boston wanted Pet and me for the double violin concert in August.

Allan had put together a tour around the country for the Sisters, with two cities a week over a sixteen-week period, which was broken up by our concert commitments. It looked as if the coming year was going to be busy for the Sisters. We scheduled recording sessions in February and March and another lot in October and November.

One of the last events of the year was the release of our classical DVD, which was number one in the classics charts on debut and inside the top one hundred in even the pop charts.

Allan gave each of the Sisters a box of twenty to give out.

Marianne Gregory © 2022

up
131 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wot! No Comments?

joannebarbarella's picture

The transition of The Pixies into The Stable Sisters is almost complete. Personally I think that's not a great name. Something a bit more marketable maybe?

Longevity vs burning out

Jamie Lee's picture

Allan made a good point about the Sisters longevity vs burning out, which seems to happen often to other groups. A disagreement between members takes place, is never resolved and the group breaks up. Or the group becomes so arrogant that no one wants them to play at their venue. Or, drugs and alcohol take over and the group simply falls apart.

Becoming serious about the music they put out and play live, will ensure they have gigs lined up until, as Allan said, they want to retire.

Might their be a fly in the ointment after Edie and Jordan marry and ask Josie's permission to adopt Alicia? Might Josie suddenly want Alicia back? Might Edie and Jordan then go to court and force the issue, since Josie ran off and left her daughter? And might Josie say okay because she regrets leaving Alicia behind and know Alicia is better off with Edie and Jordan?

Others have feelings too.