Venus Cursed! - Chapter 77

Printer-friendly version
Venus_Cursed_4.jpg
by Saless
Chapter 77

Sarah awoke to the smell of bacon frying. Opening her eyes she found that Erica was still asleep. She carefully extricated herself from their tangle of limbs and threw a robe on before going out to see what was going on. When she got to the kitchen she found Mike at the table with Vash and Jill working away at the stove. "Uh, hi guys." she said uncertainly. "Why are you guys here so early?"

"Good morning Sarah!" Mike greeted with a subdued smile that told Sarah she probably wasn't going to like the answer. Vash flew to her shoulder and rubbed his face against her neck and purred loudly, which only further confirmed that something was up.

"Good morning Sarah, we wanted to catch you before our guest arrives." Jill said.

"Guest?" Sarah replied quizzically.

Jill nodded, "I'll tell you about that once Erica's up. Breakfast's almost ready, maybe you should wake her?"

Sarah shrugged and went to get Erica. She was just waking up when she got there. "I don't suppose you're serving breakfast in bed?" Erica asked hopefully.

Sarah smiled, "Sorry, I just woke up myself."

Erica frowned and said, "But I smell bacon?"

"Yeah, Jill's cooking. She and Mike came over early. Apparently we're having a visitor. She said breakfast's almost ready." Sarah explained.

"Oh, I guess that explains why you have the furball on your shoulder." Erica mumbled as she drug herself out of bed. She threw a robe on and followed Sarah to the kitchen.

"Good morning Erica, have a seat!" Jill called out.

"Good morning Jill, mind explaining what you're doing here so early?" Erica inquired.

"We had a visitor last night, though they only talked to Vash." Mike replied.

"Oh, who?" Sarah asked curiously.

Tiffany. Vash said.

"Tiffany?! Why would Tiffany go to see you so late at night? For that matter, how does she even know you guys?" Sarah exclaimed.

"She doesn't know us, really, but she knows Vash." Jill replied.

Sarah sat down hard upon hearing that. "How does Tiffany know Vash?!" she asked in shock.

"Apparently she's the reason Vash is even with us. She's the one who killed his former master." Mike said.

"What?! How is that even possible?!" Sarah exclaimed.

Allow me to explain. Vash said, and proceeded to do so. Erica had to eavesdrop through their bond to hear what Vash was saying, as Sarah was too shocked to relay it herself.

"So Tiffany is the one who killed John?" Erica asked, having latched onto that part. Vash nodded from his perch on Sarah's shoulder. "Where is she?"

"I'm here." Tiffany said softly as the room suddenly brightened to reveal her standing behind the table up against the wall. Jill dropped the fork she was using to turn the bacon and Sarah and Mike nearly fell out of their chairs. Even Vash was surprised and almost fell off of Sarah's shoulder. Fortunately for Sarah his claws were blunted so he didn't penetrate her skin when he dug in.

"Wha…how…uh, how did you do that?" Sarah spluttered.

Tiffany's gaze sank to the floor as she said, "I'm Shadowkin, or so Vash says. I just know I can control shadows. It makes it easy to hide. I've been able to do that ever since following you through one of your portals the first time."

"Uh, Tiffany, I'm pretty sure I locked the door after we came in…" Mike said.

Tiffany blushed and stepped closer to the table. Dropping a key onto it she said, "I'm sorry Sarah, I stole your keys and made a copy. That used to be how I got in. Now I just use this ring." With that she held her right hand up so they could all see the obsidian ring.

"That ring opens locks?" Erica asked. Tiffany nodded. "You know, you could have just told us that without admitting to the copying of Sarah's key."

Tiffany shook her head, "No, I want to be honest with you. Sarah's my only friend; though I know she probably doesn't feel the same way anymore. I don't want to have any secrets or lies between us anymore."

Why don't you tell them your story. I've told them what I know, but I'm sure there's more to it than that. Vash said.

Tiffany sighed and nodded. "Okay. Well, when you first came to work as Sarah, I was shocked! You were so different, it didn't seem possible that you could change so much so quickly. I looked it up, and that only confirmed that it was impossible. And you couldn't change your height at all! So I followed you home the next chance I got and started following you everywhere. I didn't find out much at first, because I couldn't get into your apartment and I couldn't hear what you were saying from the window. But I did see you go through a portal and come back, and I saw Mike in his naga form." she said.

"So you've been shadowing us for quite a while." Jill said.

"Yes." Tiffany said. "Anyway, I managed to follow you guys through a portal not long after that. I also managed to get a hold of Sarah's keys and make that copy. From then on I followed you on every portal trip you took when I was there. I…killed that wizard. When we got back Vash noticed me and made a deal with me. I gave him that ring and he promised not to tell any of you about me. After that it wasn't long before even Vash couldn't tell I was there. I stole a gun and explosive bullets from those people that gave them to you, and then got some use out of it at the tomb. I picked up those wands from the other wizard along with various coins, gems, and other stuff from the rooms as we went. When you moved all the treasure up to the room above I went through it."

"Wait, you went through the treasure before we did?!" Jill exclaimed.

Tiffany nodded, "Yes. I was going to just grab stuff, but certain things just sort of…called to me. So I only took those. Then you guys came up and went through it. When you were done I went through the non-magical stuff and stuffed my pockets and the bag I took off of the mage."

The things that called to her were Shadowkin artifacts, I believe. Vash added.

Tiffany shrugged, "I guess. They do seem to fit in with my powers really well. Anyway, I kept following you on your trips. And I learned a lot about you and wanted to be friends, so I approached you at work. I know you won't want anything to do with me now. But then this man approached me as I was walking back to my car yesterday morning. He threatened to arrest me if I didn't spy on you, and threatened to arrest us all if I contacted you. That's why I waited until you were all in the kitchen to show myself, because he can't see us in here."

"What about John?" Sarah asked.

"Well, I saw you were acting strangely that day, and you left through the back door. I was worried about you, so I went looking for you. When I saw Vash lying on the ground with blood in his fur I knew you were in trouble. Then I saw John standing over you and pulling his pants down…" Tiffany trailed off, her hands clenched and two of her throwing knives appeared, one in each clenched fist.

"Whoa, where did those come from?!" Mike exclaimed, putting himself between her and the others.

"Huh?" Tiffany asked, puzzled, and then noticed the knives in her hands. "Oh, sorry." She put the knives away in her pockets. "They do that sometimes."

Would you put one of those on the table, here?" Vash asked, pawing the table. Tiffany shrugged and pulled one out of her pocket and put it on the table as he asked. Hmm, I see. Yes, this is a Shadowkin artifact, like I thought. Either those policemen were ill informed, or they were lying. John wasn't poisoned. Vash said thoughtfully.

"What?! Do you mean he's still alive?!" Sarah exclaimed fearfully.

No, sorry. I mean there's nothing left of him. These knives were designed as the perfect assassin's tool. Hit your target anywhere on their body and they will slowly disintegrate into a pile of an ash-like substance. That substance cannot be used to call their spirit from the dead, resurrect them, or clone them. They also guide the hand of their user and return to that hand at will. But they are only usable by Shadowkin. To anyone else they're simply throwing knives that are very tough. Vash explained.


 
To Be Continued…

up
94 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yay! Another One!

Now I have to read it. hee hee. (I already voted for it because I have faith.)

And after I read it, I might even be able to make a semi-intelligent comment. ;-)

Not Only Do We See

Tifany meet and coime clean with the group, we also learn more about Tiffany, too. I wonder if she could defeat the Ringwraiths [ Nazgul[ of the Lord of the Rings story?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

With those knives of hers,

With those knives of hers, probably! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Finally another useful member for the group

Thank Vash for the knife explaination, that helps.

Saless I really enjoy your story, it has turned out to be quite exciting, and the thrill of being chased adds a new demention to the story context. I wonder how trust worthy this FBI or special agent is. Will he try to steal the secrets and try to sell them group out for money, to other unscrupulas organizations, other than the government, if he gets the chance? but then, that is our government agencies too aren't they? Unscrupulas. Or am I being sinical.

Great job with the story, please keep it up.

Hugs
Joni w

Useful member?

Does that mean one or more of them isn't useful? ;)

I don't know if you're being cynical, but it's certainly a common sentiment!

Thanks Joni! ^_^
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Honestly... that Sarah isn't

Honestly... that Sarah isn't that useful at all, and Jill, while she does wield a mighty Paint Fu what other use does she have?

:P

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Hire a doorman?

Waht are you saying, they could maybe hire a doorman to do Sarah's job? As for Jill, I think you'd better ask Mike that question.

Just occurred to me, Jill has an official role as Vash caretaker-in-chief, primary petter and litterbox cleaner. Ummmm, Vash DOES use a litterbox, right? ;-)

Yeah, I'm in full-tilt silly mode this morning! ;-)

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

So...

Now they know about the knives and the black dust. I can see that they will be doing some serious discussing and planning. I wonder if that will delay their trip to Sara's parents.

I think I would be tempted to have Tiffany play along with Marvin, then have the entire crew come over and sit with them when they meet in the coffee house again. They have to realize that Marvin doesn't really have anything on them, and they have an almost-lawyer who can figure out how much of his bluster is really bluster.

Since they know about him, they ought to be able to listen in on his thoughts. Once they have enough information, they can turn the tables by taking some pictures of him skulking around, then calling the cops and reporting him as a stalker.

Ooh, that would be

Ooh, that would be priceless! He uses the stalker card on Tiffany, and they get him arrested for stalking! I love it! ~_^

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Ever practical Erica

"So Tiffany is the one who killed John?" Not hard to see why Erica is studying to be a lawyer, she immediately grasped the important (at least in her eyes) detail. While I really don't have any doubts about the outcome, I will point out that Tiffany is not on board yet. It could still be a rough go for her to be fully accepted, especially by Sarah.

Do the knives have their magical dissolve power when wielded by a non-Shadowkin, and what happens if Tiffany accidentally cuts herself? Or one of the others? Without a way to reverse the process, it might be wise for Tiffany to put those suckers in a VERY safe place unless needed. Like an alternate universe. Otherwise a fight with some general opponents could prove quite fatal if there were to be an accidental "friendly fire" injury.

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Does this help?


But they are only usable by Shadowkin. To anyone else they're simply throwing knives that are very tough.

They're very dangerous weapons, but that's why they're assassination weapons. You don't usually have friendlies around when you're assassinating someone! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Wasn't sure

I wasn't sure just how literally to take this. There were two un-related effects, the improved accuracy and return to the thrower trick and the dissolve the target into dust trick, and I didn't know if they both were shadowkin effects or one might be "ordinary" magic.

Assuming they don't have much of a need for a professional assassin, Tiffany won't be needing the knives. But given their tendency to appear in her hands during times of stress, they might pop up at the wrong time anyway. What if she was pulled in for questioning by Marvin and they suddenly appeared when she got upset over his questions? If he got hold of one and accidentally nicked himself? Oops!

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

If he nicked himself all

If he nicked himself all that would happen would be...that he nicked himself! ;) But if Tiffany nicked him, uh oh! Only the toughness of the blades works for non-Shadowkin.

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

I just commented....

to give Saless a hug.

Oh yeah, and to ask about more Kittyhawk too.

Ahh, thanks Sarang! ^_^ I'm

Ahh, thanks Sarang! ^_^

I'm working on finishing up KittyHawk 10 right now. I'm hopeful to have it up later tonight. *fingers crossed*

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

No pussy-footing around, Saless

Great chapter.

Karen, I am guessing some but given that Vash says the knives only are magically deadly when used by a shadowkin --IE they are just ordinary throwing knives for anyone else -- I suspect they have a built-in safety feature to prevent self-annihilation.

As to another dose of Kittyhawk ... YEAH!

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Thanks John! Kittyhawk 10

Thanks John! Kittyhawk 10 is already long enough, but I've got a little more to shoehorn in before I post it. Soonish, though! :)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Marvin = FBI

The first words of "The Watcher" give his full title: "Special Agent Marvin Garner".
Which, IIRC, is the job title of FBI employees.

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I thought the Special Agent

I thought the Special Agent title might have been used by some of the other agencies, but I guess not. Oh well, FBI works fine!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Agency

Actually, the Department of Homeland Security makes the most sense. They would be very interested in the destruction of that hill on our homeland, since it would have lots of applications for terrorists. Also, they are the closest thing that we have to being a Gestapo -- that is, powers that the constitution really doesn't allow.

By the way, I'm not overly cynical, and I'm certainly not anti-American. It is a characteristic of 'secret police' type organizations that they get too big for their britches. They are worse in some countries than in others. Ours are probably the least out of control (though I could be wrong.)

Thats five stories

on the front page Saless ....Do you ever sleep?....Or have you pinched something from Sarahs treasure to help keep you awake at nights!!!

Not that i'm complaining though "cos" your stories are just so readable , In fact i would say the only complaint you might get, Would be from your computer!!!

Kirri

Yep, I sleep. In fact,

Yep, I sleep. In fact, Breaking Point would have been posted about five hours earlier if I hadn't fallen asleep waiting for the site to be available again (I was trying to post it at 1:00 a.m., and that's one of the times the system is down for regular maintenance).

Thanks Kirri! So far my computer hasn't complained, but if I keep taking it to bed with me and falling asleep with it on my lap I'm liable to get some! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America