Run, Red, Run: Chapter 4

Printer-friendly version
Run Red_0.png

 

Chapter 4: Blush

Red was just going to visit her sick grandmother; she wasn't expecting the big bad wolf.

 

“Do I have to? This is nice,” the Vampire whispered into my ear teasingly.

 


 
Author's Note: As with Snow Angel, I should have posted on Sunday but work and exhaustion got in the way. As always, thanks to Big Closet and to all my readers for your support, and I will continue to post chapters here, patreon chapters are only for people who wish to support me and read ahead. I hope you all enjoy. Further chapters are available on Patreon.~Amethyst.
 


 
Chapter 4: Blush

It was difficult to concentrate on driving with Goldie holding me tightly as we made our way down the interstate. I tried not to read too much into it and just focus on getting us to our destination. After all, there wasn’t a large pillion space back there, so she had to hang on tight and stay close if she didn’t want to fall off, right?

I offered her one of my hoodies when we took a break at a rest stop so I could use the facilities, but apparently, Vampires don’t get cold. They don’t need to go to the bathroom or eat or drink anything either, except blood. Blood was all she needed and drinking it would regenerate any injuries that she managed to get and keep her healthy. Well, as healthy as someone who is undead can get. During our brief stop, she tried to explain the whole undead thing to me too, at least as much as she had managed to figure out on her own.

While the sun wouldn’t cause her to burst into flames or turn her to ash, she was very sensitive to sunlight and would get terrible sunburns if she was left uncovered or unprotected in the sunlight. She could cross running water just fine and didn’t need to rest in a coffin or anything, and churches and religious symbols only annoyed her because she had hated organized religion long before being turned. The only thing that garlic did was make blood a little less tasty if someone she was feeding on had eaten too much. Most of the information I had about Vampires was fiction, like the sources it came from.

There were a few things that did seem accurate though. Silver did burn her, and fire hurt, but she had found that those injuries could be healed by drinking blood. She was pretty sure that a wooden stake to the heart and cutting off her head would both probably kill her, but only because something like that would kill anybody.

Goldie couldn’t turn into a bat or mist or anything like that. She couldn’t seem to mesmerize people either, or she just hadn’t figured out how yet, since she would have used it against the Bayers and previous meals, had she been able to. She was extremely strong and fast though and possessed very acute senses, especially her night vision. And her acute sense of smell said that I didn’t smell like normal people.

She hadn’t really encountered any werewolves before, so she couldn’t be absolutely sure that I had been turned, but after I had mentioned being attacked by a werewolf, she thought that I should be realistic about the possibility. No, I needed to concentrate on the road. If I started thinking about that in-depth, about turning into a monster and attacking people as Granny did, then I would never be able to function properly.

I knew that we were going to have to talk about this at some point, and it would probably be a good idea to take some precautions before the next full moon, but I didn’t want to face that possibility yet. As luck would have it, we had plenty of other things to worry about, like finding a place to sleep before daylight. There were other things too, like finding a radio or something to check the news. I didn’t want to be caught unawares if people were searching for me.

I continued along the I-75, passing through Pontiac and several other small cities and towns that were part of the Detroit metropolitan area. Between the events at the Bayer home and rest breaks, it took longer than I would have liked to get to the Detroit outskirts. It was just after seven in the morning and getting far too close to dawn. We needed to stop somewhere; I didn’t want to risk Goldie being out once the sun rose and I could barely keep my eyes open.

After stopping to top up the gas outside of Detroit, checking to make sure that my disguise was still looking okay, and discovering the time to be 7:15, I managed to find a seedy-looking motel to stay in until we could find something more permanent. The motel had seen better days, but there were no cameras that I could see and the manager took cash, didn’t ask questions, and didn’t ask to see any ID. The place was also cheap, but we got what I paid for with only a twin bed and none of the little extras that a more reputable establishment would have had.

At least the bed sheets and stuff were clean, and the TV might be old with only local channels, but it did work. Another bonus was that since our check-in time was so late, we couldn’t have to check out until eleven o’clock the next morning, and I planned to use that time once we had gotten a bit of sleep. I figured that Goldie and I could get some sleep and then I could go buy some necessities and start doing some research for places where we might be able to hide out for a while. Thankfully, sharing a bed with Goldie wasn’t awkward since we were both so tired that we fell asleep as soon as we were under the covers and our heads hit the pillows.

~o~O~o~

I was in the woods outside Granny’s cabin. A thick low-lying mist rolled in from the lake, tendrils of moisture seemed to cling to my legs and conspired with the full moon above, and the sound of wolves howling in the distance, causing a shiver to crawl its way down my spine like frozen hands. My eyes darted around, and my heart raced as I made my way as quickly as I could to the porch, my hands fumbling as I hurriedly attempted to get the key in hand and unlock the front door. Only once I was safely inside, did I breathe a sigh of relief, locking the door behind me as I called out, “Granny?! It’s me, Red! I came to check up on you and brought you some soup!”

The house was eerily quiet, and I looked around warily. I had this feeling of déjà vu, and my breath quickened as an overwhelming feeling that something terrible was about to happen washed over me. Granny wasn’t anywhere to be seen and that sense of certain doom gripped me as I kicked off my combat boots, dropped my backpack on the couch, and ascended the stairs while clutching a travel mug of soup in my shaking hands. “Granny?! I hope everything is okay! You’re worrying me!”

The sound of coughing caught my attention, harsh and raspy. That didn’t sound good at all. Was she sick? Why couldn’t I remember? I couldn’t recall the drive to the cabin either. The feeling of dread continued to grip my racing heart as I reached out with my free hand, turned the doorknob, opened the door, and stepped inside. Granny didn’t look good, she was wrapped tightly in blankets atop her bed, looking very pale, sweating buckets, and visibly shaking. “Granny?” I asked hesitantly as I approached her bed.

Granny’s eyes were wild as they locked onto me, and a low animalistic snarl caused the mug that I was holding to fall from my hand. She was trembling and her nightgown seemed to strain and began to tear both visibly and audibly as she began to grow before my eyes and sprouted hair all over her face and body. Time seemed to slow as the fur spread and grew thicker, her nose and mouth stretched into a muzzle filled with razor-sharp teeth, her fingernails lengthened into claws, and her ears changed and migrated to the top of her head. No! No, this wasn’t happening! Not again!

Granny was fighting against the blankets that entrapped her, preventing her from leaping from the bed. There was nothing of the woman that I loved in those eyes as I backpedaled out the bedroom door, unable to tear my eyes from the sight before me. I babbled something nervously, too stunned and horrified to make myself turn and run like I probably should have.

With an enraged and savage howl that made my blood run cold, she burst free from her blanket prison and lunged toward me while snarling. One last panicked step brought me back into the hallway and I quickly slammed the door and bolted down the stairs as fast as I could as she hit the door. Reaching the first floor, I turned toward the kitchen as the massive beast exploded through the door of Granny’s room, sending splinters flying everywhere.

Even knowing how this was probably going to turn out, I rushed into the kitchen, desperately scrambling for a weapon to defend myself. I yanked open the drawer with the good silverware and quickly brandished one of the silver steak knives inside. It was barely clasped in my shaking hand when I dropped behind the breakfast island to hide, my heart threatening to burst from my chest and my breathing haggard. Then the lupine beast burst into the kitchen, snuffling loudly as it followed my scent.

I knelt there shaking in terror on the floor, gasping for air and trying to make myself move, to change how this turned out as my heart beat wildly. The snuffling sound of the creature tracking me got closer, practically right on top of me, and my hand flew to my mouth to clamp it closed and hold back the scream that threatened to escape. It was moving, I could hear it to my left, sniffing its way around the island.

I hastily shuffled around to the other side of the breakfast island, clutching the knife tightly, and it visibly shook in my white-knuckled grip. As much as I tried to keep the island and some distance between us, that didn’t last for long. The beast darted around but lost its footing on the slick tiles and slid past me to slam into the fridge, sending me bolting back toward the living room in terror as I tried to escape.

The creature got to its feet and growled at me across the breakfast island. I knew what was next; I knew that there was no escaping it, and yet I still pleaded. “Granny, I know you’re in there. You don’t want to do this.”

Once again, she lunged, leaping over the kitchen island as I frantically scrambled backward. She slammed into me, her weight and speed knocking me to the floor as her jaws latched onto the wrist that I had raised in a futile attempt to defend myself. Agony shot through my arm as her jaws clamped down. We both screamed in pain, but hers was laced with a primal fury as I felt hot blood running down my punctured arm and dripping upon me from where the knife I had been clutching in my free hand was now buried to the hilt in the werewolf’s chest.

~o~O~o~

Black Sheep Motel
Detroit, Michigan
Wednesday, October 12th, 2022 - 1:37 p.m.

The nightmare sent me screaming back to consciousness and I sat bolt upright in bed, gasping for air and shaking as tears ran down my cheeks. A pair of arms wrapped around me, and I was jolted back to my senses as Goldie held me close, quietly whispering that I was safe and that everything would be okay. Eventually, I managed to shake off the nightmare and calm down enough that she probably could have released me.

I appreciated her attempt to comfort me, but the sensation of her holding me was a strange combination of comforting, erotic, and disturbing. It was comforting that someone who was essentially a stranger still, would attempt to calm and comfort me as she had, and because I found myself liking her. That feeling, my attraction to her, and the fact that we were both naked, except for our panties, was quickly turning me on now that I had shaken the nightmare though, especially with her generous breasts and hard nipples pressing into my back as she held me against her.

Her body was ice cold though and the absence of any rise and fall of her chest from her lack of breathing made me shiver, and not just from her body temperature. Still, I found that my breathing was still quickening, and my nipples were hardening from her touch. I swallowed the urge to turn around and kiss her, possibly more.

Not that I could have escaped from her embrace until she allowed it, because she was supernaturally strong. The fact that she was restraining herself just enough to keep me secure in her arms while I calmed down, while not hurting me in the process, said a lot about the Vampire’s character. The fact that she cared that much about somebody she had just met made me even more interested and attracted, and my body was beginning to respond.

I had known about my attraction to girls since I was fourteen, but I had never had the opportunity to pursue anything. There were a couple of girls that I was physically attracted to, but we would have never meshed well on a personal level. The only girl I had known closely enough to consider us compatible had been Carrie, but she was my best friend, my roommate, and straight as an arrow. Therefore, I kept things platonic with her since I didn’t want to mess up our friendship.

I squirmed in Goldie’s arms a bit, my breathing ragged, my panties damp, and my nightmare all but forgotten. “I… I’m okay now, you can let go,” I managed to squeak out.

“Do I have to? This is nice,” the Vampire whispered into my ear teasingly. It was the only sound in the room aside from my staggered breathing. The darkness from the thick curtains being firmly closed only seemed to add to the eroticism of the moment. Heat rushed through me as her tongue playfully flicked my ear. “You’re enjoying this too, I can tell. I almost thought that you were still freaking out from the dream with your rapid heartbeat, but all of my senses are heightened, especially my sense of smell.”

I took in a deep, shuddering breath. “I… we shouldn’t. I have to…get ready and go out… to get some things… before the stores close,” I panted as her arms released me and her hands teased their way up my body.

To my surprise, she removed her hands and leaned in to give me a chaste kiss on the cheek. “I’ll take a raincheck then, for once you’re ready, Red. I may tease, but I’m not going to push you into something that you’re obviously not ready for yet while you’re feeling vulnerable. I want to get to know you better, and if something does happen between us then I want it to be something that we both want and are going to enjoy.”

I was torn. On one hand, she had my fire stoked and she was very attractive. On the other hand, I had been telling the truth. I was going to have to get some things that I hadn’t gotten at All-Mart but probably should have, and it was going to take time to shower, clean and brush the wig, and then reapply my disguise. I also wanted to research some possible locations where we could hide out so we could find a place before dawn the next morning.

So much to do, and so little time. My breath caught in my throat as I nodded, and it was a moment before I could speak. “Right. Raincheck. I… thanks, Goldie.” Then I got out of bed and made my way to the bathroom on still-trembling legs to get ready for the day.

© 2023 Amethyst Gibbs
All Rights Reserved

Thanks to RoseyRedd for the great teaser image and for putting this idea in my head. Further chapters are available to the public on my Patreon page for those who wish to read ahead.

up
92 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

lol

Amethyst's picture

Yup, it's a bit hard holding off when you're all revved up like that.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

The attraction is there

Sooner or later they will consummate it.

Probably later

Amethyst's picture

But it should happen... unless something gets in their way.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Interesting Juxtaposition

joannebarbarella's picture

Hot-blooded and (potentially) hairy meets heartless and cold, yet they have a mutual attraction. Is this one of those situations where
"Amor vincit omnia?"

Attraction

Amethyst's picture

At the very least they're attracted to one another, love takes time and more than that to truly happen. Coolud be love at first bite... err sight though.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3