Girl Park New Years

Printer-friendly version

 

Girl Park New Years
by Melanie Brown
Copyright  © 2024 Melanie Brown


My friend Steve and I were getting bored watching TV on New Years Eve. We thought it'd be a fun joke to play one of my sister's Girl Park game modules on my new Brainbox 4500, the most sophisticated and immersive gaming system on the planet.

It was just a game. What could go wrong?

 


 

My friend Steve handed me a beer can. I was sitting in my Dad’s recliner in front of the TV. It was New Year’s Eve and my parents and sister were visiting our out-of-state cousins. I had declined to go.

“I thought you were getting water bottles?” I said studying the beer can.

Steve chuckled. “I was until I saw these.” He plopped down on our sofa while popping open the can.

I held my can to Steve as if he was still standing next to me to take it. “We can’t get into these! My dad actually counts the cans so he’ll know. Besides, Dad doesn’t approve of nineteen year olds drinking booze.”

Still grinning, Steve said, “A couple of brewskis won’t kill him.” He drank a slug from his can. “Besides, we’re in college. We’re supposed to do this. Not to mention it’s New Years Eve!”

“Dude. I’m in hot water enough as it is.” I said surrendering to circumstances and popping open the can. “You know that new Brainbox I got for Christmas? Dad locked away all my game modules.”

Steve looked wide-eyed at me. “What the hell for? I wanted to try out your new rig. That’s the first BrainBox 4500 I’ve seen. I can’t even imagine how smooth it must run. Oil cooled, thirty-two processors per brick and the advanced neural-link interface. What did you do?

I frowned at Steve. “It’s stupid. I hit a telephone pole and knocked the bumper off the Suburban.”

Steve frowned. “That’s all?”

Steve got up from the sofa and walked over to the cabinet my gaming system was sitting on. “I see several game modules over here. So your Dad didn’t take them all?”

I didn’t even turn around to look. “Those modules all belong to my sister.”

He started picking up a few of the modules. “Oh yeah. Barbie, Your Mystery Date, Barn Yard Veterinarian, Girl Park Prom. Yeah, these are all girls’ games. There are several Girl Park modules.”

I turned to look back at Steve. “Don’t scoff at those Girl Park modules. They use Girl Park tech and they’re the most immersive games available. Even Call of Duty isn’t as immersive.”

“Can we take a look at one?” asked Steve. “I just want to see what this new system will do.”

I shrugged. “Sure. You don’t have to be a girl to play. Pick a Girl Park module since they’re the best and we’ll give it a try.” Girl Park itself is the most immersive 3D theme park in the world. Once a simulation starts, you can’t distinguish it from reality. Paired with the BrainBox system you have serious simulation.

Steve started rummaging around my sister’s game modules. “I want something interesting.”

I picked up the module labeled “Mystery Date” and grinned. “How about this one?”

Steve screwed up his face. “Not just no, but fuck no.” He paused a moment and picked one up. “Hey, this is at least relevant.”

I took it from him, “Girl Park Presents Dick Clark’s New Year’s Eve. This could be interesting. You know these Girl Park games simulations start a few days ahead of the actual event.”

Steve nodded. “That could be fun. I could meet several girls.”

I said, “You know the BrainBox pulls images from your own brain. It uses images of people you may have seen, the images of trees for example, stored in your own memory. Helps speed things up and requires less storage.”

Steve picked up a headset and started to position it. “Let’s do it!”

I shook my head. “First thing. Go to the kitchen and grab us a couple of water bottles each. We need to down one before we play. You get really dehydrated with this. And then a couple caveats.”

Steve frowned. “Like what?”

I sighed, “Some aftermarket games, even Girl Park, have issues. They over stimulate the brain making your head hot. But the big problem is sometimes the games won’t let you quit early. You have to play all the way through. The unit will shut down a game after thirty minutes, regardless. The worst problem, and it’s rare, is brain-drift. Your brain is so over stimulated that even after disconnect; your brain still thinks you’re in the game for several minutes.”

Steve chuckled. “I ain’t skeer’d. Let’s do it.” He put his headset back on and positioned it. A green light on the console turned on when the headset gets properly aligned with your cerebral cortex.

I popped the game module into the system. After making sure Steve was seated comfortably and me as well, I took a deep breath and pressed the button to load the game. At first there was just a buzz and then my vision went black. The blackest black I’ve ever seen. Too late I remembered we hadn’t set the parameter switches.

In giant neon pink, letters formed in front of me “Girl Park New Year’s Eve” Then below that, some words scrolled up.

GAME TYPE: TWO PLAYER – COMPLETE IMMERSION – LOCKED
RATING: MA-13 – LOCKED
MISSION: GET A DATE FOR NEW YEAR’S PARTY – LOCKED
SIDE MISSION: NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTION COMES TRUE – LOCKED
DURATION: UNTIL MIDNIGHT NEW YEARS OR 30 MINUTES OBJECTIVE TIME
GENDER PLAYER 1: MALE – LOCKED
GENDER PLAYER 2: FEMALE – LOCKED
CHARACTER AGE: 18 – LOCKED
EARLY EXIT: DISABLED – LOCKED
MENU: DISABLED – LOCKED

PLAYER 1 STATUS: HIDDEN
PLAYER 2 STATUS: 3 DAYS BEFORE DANCE. NO DATE

Holy crap! I’m locked into the game as a girl!

SIMULATION BEGINS IN 5… and so begins a five second countdown.

The screen went totally black again and an image of a TV studio formed with a figure standing in it. The figure smiled and said, “Good evening. I’m Dick Clark, your host for this game. I see you’re playing this game on New Year’s Eve. The game will interface with the DC studios in New York to bring you the excitement at Times Square in real time! I know you’re anxious to play this wonderful new game from Girl Park home products. Like all Girl Park products, this game is amazing and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. And when you’ve finished the game, stay connected for a special New Year’s message from Ryan Seacrest. So let’s start the game, shall we?”

My vision blurred and I was sitting at a table in the mall’s food court. I was surrounded by four other girls. Total immersion was active. At that moment, I was a girl.

Laying on the table in front of me, still in its wrapper, was what I assumed was my burrito. Next to that was a bag of fries and large soda. Rebecca had a burger as did Mary. Susan had a burrito like me. Tanya had a salad. I was suddenly aware that these girls were my closest friends at Dick Clark high school. We were on our waning days of Christmas break. Just a couple days away was New Years.

I’d known Rebecca and Mary since grade school. Susan joined our circle of friends first year of high school. I became friends with Tanya just this past September which is a bit odd because she’s a cheerleader and the rest of us are not into athletics at all. And of course she’s dating the football team’s captain. Susan’s boyfriend is the chess club president. The rest of us don’t have anyone steady.

“Arrgh!” groaned Mary. “I can’t believe break is almost over! I’m not ready to go back!”

Rebecca stretched her arms out in front of her. “You and me both! I didn’t have any fun at all!”

I narrowed my eyes at Rebecca and said, “You spent the whole break with Mary and me.”

Rebecca giggled. “I rest my case!” Mary wadded up a napkin and tossed it at her.

Susan shook her head. “I don’t know what you guys are talking about. I’ve been bored out of my mind!”

We all looked over at Tanya and stared. Finally she said, “Hey. I had fun going shopping with you guys and having lunch. The rest of the time I spent with my Bobby.” Bobby of course is her boyfriend.

I sighed. “So. Who all is going to the New Year’s dance at the Star Dust? Anyone?”

Susan perked up a bit and said, “Cesar asked me to go with him.”

Rebecca said, “I would hope so, since you’re dating.”

Tanya chirped, “Bobby’s taking me. The goof is actually renting a limo to pick me up.”

Mary grunted. “Must be nice.”

Rebecca looked down at the table. “I don’t know if I’ll go or not. Nobody’s asked me.”

Sighing, Mary said, “Yeah. Me either.”

I shook my head. I looked from Mary to Rebecca. “Looks like the Three Musketeers strike out again, huh.”

Rebecca looked at me with a quizzical expression. “Steve hasn’t asked you? I thought you two had become an item.”

I shrugged. “Kinda what I was thinking too. I even bought a dress.”

Susan pointed towards the hallway. “Don’t look now, but I think I know why Steve hasn’t asked you.”

I sucked in my breath. Walking down the hall with his arms draped over the shoulders of two girls, and flanked on either side by two other girls was Steve. My Steve. I thought he was my Steve.

I stood up as Steve and his entourage approached. Steve grinned broadly. “Hey Tiff. You were right! This is great! Catch ya later!” He and his girls walked on past us.

Rebecca put her hand on my arm. “I’m sorry, Tiff.”

I sat back down and frowned. “Yeah. Me too.”

Rebecca slapped my back. “Screw ‘em, right? We came here to see a movie not be with boyfriends. It’s going to start soon, so let’s go!” The movie we were going to see was Girl Park Treasure Adventure starring Ryan Seacrest.

We got in line to get popcorn and a soda.

Rebecca said, “Hey, while we’re waiting, I want to find out what everyone’s New Years Resolution is! I’ll start. I want to get a Girl Park weekend pass so me and my three best friends get four adventures for $599.99 + Tax (maglev not included)”

Tanya said, “Oh, I want the Romantic Beach Adventure for two for just $299.99 + Tax (maglev no included)

I stood there listening to Mary and Susan chirp their New Years Resolutions. I had mine ready and it had nothing to do with Girl Park.

Rebecca listened intently to me as I said, “Mine’s easy. I want to be Steve’s girlfriend! That’s my goal for the new year!”

Grinning, Rebecca said, “I’m sure you’ll be able to get that!”

As we exited the snack line, a couple boys from school walked up to us. One of them was Tommy. Oh my God. I’ve had such a crush on him since middle school. He’s so cute! He smiled at me. If Steve won’t ask me to the dance, maybe Tommy will! I don’t even care that Tommy is one of DC High’s resident bad boys.

Tommy asked, “Hey, what movie are you guys going to see?”

Mary said, “That new action movie that all the kids are excited about. Girl Park Treasure Adventure starring Ryan Seacrest! It’s available at all Girl Park sales outlets or in game purchase for only $27.99 + Tax.”

Tommy nodded. “He’s cool.”

Susan said, “I think he’s hot!”

Grinning, Tommy said, “Tiff, would you like to watch the movie with me?”

Tommy is gorgeous… not as gorgeous as Steve, but if Steve won’t go out with me, maybe I’ll just go out with the next best thing. His loss, right?

“Tommy, I’d love to go to a movie with you!” I squealed.

Grinning, Tommy took my hand. “Well, let’s go babe.”

We took our seats. Tommy wasted no time in sliding his arm around my shoulders and pulled me towards him.

The lights went down and on the screen appeared the words, “Rent $5.50 or buy $27.99 + Tax (R/B/C) Use current payment info.” I selected “C” for cancel.

The lights came back on, exposing Tommy kissing me. He pulled back and exclaimed, “Wow. That was an exciting movie! One of Seacrest’s best! So much action!”

I had watched the movie before when my sister had rented it and had it streamed to our TV. It was actually a snooze-fest with an AI Ryan Seacrest. Not that you could really tell the difference.

Rebecca exclaimed, “That was such a great movie!”

As we exited the Cineplex, we ran into Steve. He glared at Tommy. “Hey asshole! That’s my girl!”

Tommy glared at Steve. “Hey, buzz off you dung beetle! I’ve got her now.”

Steve stepped up to Tommy. Steve is taller than Tommy. He poked his finger into Tommy’s chest. “If you have any brains, bucko, you’ll make yourself scarce.”

I shouted, “You were with those other girls! You don’t care about me!”

Steve stepped up to me and took both my hands. “Babe! Those girls mean nothing to me! You’re the only one for me. Would you go to the dance with me?”

Smiling broadly. “You’re asking me to the dance?”

Steve pulled me close to him and brushed the hair from my face. He looked down into my eyes. “There’s no one else I’d rather go to the dance with!” He softly kissed me.

Breathless, I said, “Oh baby. I’d love to go to the dance with you!”

Steve said, “I’ll pick you up at 6pm so we can have dinner before the dance. Have you ever been to Gladstone’s?”

I was instantly excited about going to Gladstone’s. “No I haven’t. I’d love to take a gander.”

Steve’s grin grew large. “I’ll see you then.”

*          *          *

“I’m jealous.”

I laughed. “Oh stop your grumbling. Besides. What are you jealous about?”

Even though we were on the phone, I could see Rebecca shaking her head at me. “The boy of your dreams is taking you to the New Years Dance at the Star Dust. It’s a very romantic night.

I laughed again. “You’re going with Tommy! He’s like the second most gorgeous boy in school.” He looks a bit like Ryan Secrest. “It was almost the last minute. Do you have a dress?”

“Yeah. I’m wearing that dress I got for homecoming that I didn’t get to wear. Find out why by playing Girl Park Homecoming Adventure for only $62.50 + Tax. Available for all gaming platforms wherever Girl Park games are sold.”

I chuckled. “I’m glad you finally get to wear it.”

Rebecca sighed. “Me too. Hey, I need to let you go. Tommy will be here soon and I haven’t finished my make-up.”

I nodded uselessly at the phone. “Yeah. Steve will be here any minute. See you at the dance!” We both disconnected the call.

I looked into my mirror. I don’t think dynamite could remove the smile from my face. Well, okay. Dynamite probably would. Maybe. It was so incredible that I was finally going to the New Years Dance with Steve. If I hear him say “I love you” then I’ll have achieved my Resolution goal.

I smoothed the front of my dress. I got it from the Girl Park clothing catalog for only $200.01 + Tax. It’s a pink short dress with a flared skirt. I almost look like a princess wearing it. I know Steve will just love it. Oh, and the matching shoes. Pink, three inch strappy sandals.

The doorbell rang. He’s here!

A moment later, I heard Dad shout, “Tiff! Steve’s here!” I checked my dress and my make-up one last time. I had to keep myself from running out into the living room. I stepped slowly from my room and walked at a normal pace down the hallway. I sucked in my breath when I saw Steve wearing a tux standing in the doorway next to Dad. Dad looked a bit like Dick Clark.

Steve was grinning ear-to-ear. “You are beautiful!” He slid a gorgeous wrist corsage onto my hand. “Shall we go?”

Dad smiled. “You two kids have fun. Remember, she has to be home no later than 12:30. Be sure to catch the Dick Clark Rockin’ Eve simulcast during the dance.”

Steve put his arm around my waist. “No problem sir.” I looked up at Steve. I was in heaven.

*          *          *

I felt as if I was in a fairytale. I was laying my head on Steve’s should as he held my hand and rested his other hand on my waist. I was all dreamy as I smiled while we danced. I looked up into his eyes. He bent his head down and slowly pressed his soft, warm lips into mine. I moan softly as I pressed my lips into his. It was total bliss

I barely noticed when a large flat screen started showing a live feed from Times Square. New Years was just moments away. Ryan Seacrest was mumbling something. I didn’t care..

Suddenly all the dancing stopped and everyone turned to watch the ball in Times Square slowly descend with everyone counting the seconds. When the ball finally dropped, everyone in Star Dust as well in Times Square shouted “Happy New Year!” Steve and I shouted as well. With eyes sparkling, Steve bent me over and gave me a long, deep, passionate kiss.

When we came up for air, Steve looked deep into my eyes. He said, “I love you.” Suddenly our vision was covered in more fireworks and ribbons. Across my view big red letters proclaimed, “Game Goal Resolution Reached! Boyfriend loves you!!! You win!”

Amid all the ribbons and fireworks, Dick Clark appeared. He said, as only Dick Clark can, “Congratulations Player 2. You achieved your goal before Player 1. You won! Be sure to try other fine Girl Park adventures. He smiled at me for a few moments before fading away.

The view before me went sold black and then the words “Game over. Simulation Ends”

My muscles relaxed and I was covered in sweat. Somehow Steve and I had managed to embrace each other while on the couch. The wires to our headsets were tangled. He was kissing me passionately. I smiled. Steve was caught in Brain-Drift. He’s not even aware of it. Sometimes Brain-Drift goes on for hours.

Steve said, “I love you, baby.” He kissed me deeply. This was a New Years Eve I won’t soon forget.

The End
.

up
93 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well, Well, Well

Marissa Lynn's picture

"Seacrest out!"

Tiff, too, apparently. ;)

These Games

joannebarbarella's picture

Really suck you in!

Could it be?

Dee Sylvan's picture

Perhaps the only reason that Tiff won is because she didn't tell Steve that she loved him first! What a game! Or was it?

Great story as always Mel. :DD TAF

DeeDee

Merchandising

The constant in-game marketing moments were only too real. There is a reason I use an ad-blocker on my browser.

I am surprised

That she doesn't break the 4th wall with Steve. Or maybe s/he is trans.

Holy dystopian megahorrors batgirl!

Who in their right mind would beam such blatant product placement into everyone's skulls?

Who indeed, Robyn? I can think of only one dastardly deviant who would dare be so despicable.

You mean...?

Yes, cutie, this can only be the work of Market Forces Man. What's more, I fear he has you trapped in his virtual nightmare

Me? You're the one who used to be a dude.

Have you seen how your name's been spelt sweetie?

Holy dislecks... dyslux... bad spelling, batgirl! This can't be happening!! We're the good gurls. I mean gurls. Holy horrors, I can't even says guys!!!

Keep calm, sugar plum. Why don't you try on this lovely pink virtual dress? It's only $200.01 plus tax.

It's so pretty, I can't help it...

What horrendous hell await the dynamic duo? Are they doomed to a future of virtual voluptuousness? Will they be able to escape (will they even want to?)?

Tune in next week. Same bat time, same bat channel!

Maeryn Lamonte, the girl inside

One Choices to be the best ever BCTS story (and win a prize)

Melanie Brown's Girl Park Universe is as brilliant and compelling as the writer herself. What a joy our sneaky and resourceful, stealth Girl Park protagonist is to get their new year's resolution. Melanie and Girl Park always leave me wanting more. This story is such a delicious dish of romantic fun. The product placement hard sells were over the top funny. If I were the protagonist, they would get me for every cent in the bank and borrowing all I could borrow. This story has just got to win a prize!

Jo Dora Webster