The Lyssa Kordenay Missions - Book 25 - Butterflies and Christmas Bells

Printer-friendly version

 

BaCB cover.PNG
Book 25 of The Lyssa Kordenay Missions!
  Lyssa is dancing the Nutcracker in Washington
  though not everyone is a fan!!

WARNING: The Lyssa Kordenay Missions may be hyper-violent for some readers.

 

 


 

Butterflies and Christmas Bells

 
 
 

CHAPTER1

Kimberly worked at her computer sifting through raw intel reports. Everybody was gearing for the holidays and that put them all on high alert. The problem was there was a lot of holiday chatter getting in the way but she had to sift through it all. Terrorists moved up timetables to work within the gap created in the workload for those going home. She herself and Pete would spend three days in the Washington area for Christmas. Her voice lessons and facial surgery went flawlessly. No one would recognize her the Major assured her. that was good because her face had been plastered all over the media months ago when she pulled a stunt that slammed several high ranking generals and various others in the army. None of which no longer served officially but did the occasional consult working for civilian contractors now.

Kimberly now worked for a highly classified intelligence agency doing what she still did best. intelligence analysis. The big difference now was she no longer got screened information, all the data she got was raw. unfiltered. CIA, DIA, DOD, DOJ, State Department and many many more. No agency was off limits to her. The mainframe she utilized was hidden somewhere in the western U.S. Lyssa was the sharp end of the spear and Kimberly determined where it should go.

"Hey Kim. I'm going into Nassau. Wanna come along," Pete asked leaning into the office.

She thought about it for a moment then answered, "sure. I need to get out some."

Pete walked down to the Bell helicopter and went through his pre-flight then started the turbines after Kimberly sat in the co-pilot's seat.

His voice came over the static, "We can do a little Christmas shopping before heading north. I gotta get Rod something cool this year because last year he out did himself."

"what did he get you last year,"Kimberly asked.

"a sixty inch plasma with a year of satellite tv paid," He smiled.

Kimberly laughed at that. Pete was a former Marine and a die-hard sports fanatic so the package made total sense to her.

She thought about it then asked, "that is something. What to get for Lyssa and Rodrick?"

Pete made a course correction before replying, "yeah. What to get for them? They have damn near everything and then Madison. What to get for her that won't be taken the wrong way if she has a boyfriend? Does she have a boyfriend?"

Kimberly laughed, "No she's single Pete and I think anything you get her would go over well."

Pete glanced over, "what would you recommend, you talk to her a lot."

"You should get her something that can only be found in the Caribbean. I know; a painting. Lighthouse or a seascape or sailboats. Something local."

Pete thought about that. It seemed like a good idea. The flight went quickly and they hurried to the art galleries to look at the paintings from local artists.

~o~O~o~

Rodrick shifted in the seat watching the final dress rehearsal when a seat squeaked behind him.

"Always takes your breath away to watch her dance, doesn't she," Dannigan asked.

"Words can't describe. If only time would stand still and she could dance forever. I think that would make her really happy," Rodrick replied.

Dannigan chuckled, "More than you or I would ever know."

Rodrick watched quietly for a few more moments then asked, "By the way, how'd you sneak in here?"

"I flashed Secret Service creditials," Dannigan laughed.

Rodrick laughed as well. The Secret Service had been nosing around at all hours for the past week in preparation for opening night due to the First family attending along with several other important attendees, including one of the British crowned Princes even though his security would be handled by known MI-6 Operators.

"Its kinda funny,"Rodrick commented," The very agency that the President has been going nuts to find out about will be in the next box."

Dannigan snickered, "I've learned to take life's little ironies in stride. What time will Pete and Kimberly get in?"

"Tomorrow around noon-ish," Rodrick answered.

Dannigan patted Rodrick on his shoulder, "See you all tomorrow night."

Rodrick waved over his shoulder, "Later Paul. Don't forget to bring toys."

Dannigan laughed at that, Lyssa traditionally had a box set up in the lobby during the production for toys to be donated to an orphanage randomly selected in whatever city she danced in for Christmas and would deliver them personally on Christmas eve wearing her Sugar Plum Doll costume. The Secret Service demanded the box be removed due to the Presidential visit but she gave them a very hard look then had two stage hands bring out bigger boxes each and pointed at them.

She coldly demanded, "Fill those up and shut up. I dance, people donate, kids have Christmas. No exceptions, fuck with me and I'll have the President's courtesy ticket pulled and see to it that the blame falls on you and your team."

Rodrick had been sitting on the stairs listening and it took all he had not to roll down them laughing. A call from the President ended with a compromise. an Agent with canine dressed as "Santa with a reindeer" would be stationed at the boxes. Lyssa finally walked up the aisle dressed to leave so Rodrick stood and walked out with his arm around her waist.

Several paparazzi waited at the stage door and took pictures as they exited. They weren't surprised. The attendee list was A-list; diplomats and Washington society therefore photographers were to be expected. A woman stepped up and introduced herself as being from the Washington Post and asked for a moment for comment. Lyssa nodded. Questions were asked, all pertaining to the production and how she felt working with director and Choreographer, the costumers, the musicians and also a quick comparison to previous productions of The Nutcracker she'd danced for.

Lyssa was very impressed with the professionalism of the impromptu interview and even offered a photo of the cast in costume for the article and named the prominent characters as well but when asked about the VIP attendees she sidestepped the question easily directing to her tradition of the toy donation. The journalist thanked Lyssa for her time and comments also stating that she looked forward to attending the performance.

~o~O~o~

The dark man thought to himself, how could these people deal with such cold? And for such a long duration too? Otumawa preferred the hot climate of his home country in Africa but his mission brought him to America. He'd spent hours watching videos of ballet to understand it. Mogadishu had no such arts there. He now understood The Nutcracker was a Christmas story about a girl's dream set in the Victorian era. He wasn't a christian so Christmas wasn't something he practiced though he understood it was supposed to be a time of sharing but had been corrupted by western society into more of a time of decadent spending and posturing.

It didn't matter to him, all he cared about was the American President's refusal to release Somali warriors they had dubbed terrorists. Jailed in Guantanamo Bay for aiding Al Queda, a commercial ship had been hijacked but Navy SEALs had rescued the crew and killed the hijackers. Now He would assassinate the American President for not releasing them. The performance itself wouldn't be his opportunity to strike but the celebration after would be.

Killing the First Family would send a clear enough message. He'd practiced with the specially made gun and bullets. Completely undetectable by metal detectors and until fired by explosive detectors too. He had four shots to kill them all. Then the American government would have to obey.


CHAPTER 2

Madison stood in front of the mirror wearing the evening gown. After getting Kimberly and Pete settled in the Georgetown safe house she'd hurried home to start getting ready for the night. Her Sable brown hair looked striking against the red gown Lyssa had picked out for her. A black cloak instead of a coat would keep her warm.

Major Dannigan had arranged for a limo to pick her up along with Kimberly and Pete. Dannigan himself would be arriving on his own and Lyssa and Rodrick had to be there early for her to get ready so had driven themselves in the flashy new ford GT. It was a dark grey instead of black or red making it very hard to see in distance. Kimberly and Pete had also brought along a box of what looked like gifts already wrapped making her do some very last minute shopping for Pete.

Her plans to catch a late flight out had been canceled due to her families plans being canceled. Everyone was doing something with other family members therefore, she would be staying in D.C. and having Christmas dinner at Lyssa and Rodrick's beach house with Kimberly and Pete. Major Dannigan said he had a prior commitment and would be away for Christmas day. A buzzing of the intercom signaled the driver's arrival so she hurried downstairs.

Pete waited at the door and when she walked into view his jaw dropped. He'd only seen Madison a couple of times but his reaction to her now made her very happy. He'd stammered out a greeting and looked her up and down then helped wrap the cloak around her to go out to the limo. Kimberly smiled as Madison ducked inside and slid onto the opposite seat to face her as Pete settled beside Madison. Sneakily Madison let her hand drift close to his as they pulled away from the curb and within moments Pete gingerly reached the inch and took her's into his own. Kimberly smiled catching sight of them and made small talk.

Twenty minutes later the car stopped and the driver opened the door and offered his hand to Madison and Kimberly as they each stepped out. Pete straightened himself as Kimberly and Madison each slipped a hand through his arms and walked in. Their names were checked against a list and allowed in. They picked up programs and went up to the box seating.

Rodrick was already there but standing in the doorway talking with Major Dannigan, General Singleton of Special Forces and Admiral Kenslow of Naval Special Warfare. Kimberly released Pete's arm to be greeted by the Brass but Madison didn't until Pete reached forward to shake hands with them then immediately slipped her hand back to his arm. Pete had been introduced as working with Rodrick and Madison already known to be Dannigan's secretary, Kimberly was also introduced as working for Dannigan. Seating was called and they all entered the box. Dannigan sat down beside a woman of close age none of them knew and weren't introduced to. Much of the conversations stopped when the lights dimmed.

~o~O~o~

Lyssa heard the First Family had arrived and were taking their seats. An announcer stepped out and made his statement about the production to open it and she watched waiting as the cast began. The show went as perfect as they had planned. When the cast took its final curtain call a familiar little girl stepped close to the stage and offered up a bouquet of roses.

Many could hear her saying very loudly in her impish voice, "Lyssa so pretty!"

Smiling, Lyssa knelt down as a naval officer lifted the child up to the stage to be hugged by Lyssa then returning to her father and seat. Lyssa gave the applauding crowd another graceful curtsy then exited the stage.

During the production the Lobby had been transformed into a grand reception. The President offered a toast to the cast with Lyssa standing close by and also congratulated her on the success of her toy donations. Lyssa's subtly roving eyes kept sight of the little girl Meghan as she chattered happily with Dannigan and Rodrick and Madison occasionally waving to Lyssa. Dannigan was seen to slip the Commander something and shake hands.

Lyssa kept having a feeling that something was off somewhere in the crowd. Rodrick had already been cleared by the Secret Service contingent and was allowed close and shook hands with the President and given belated congratulations for their engagement. He picked up Lyssa's body language and surveyed the crowd as well when a tall dark man stepped forward producing what looked like a plastic gun.

"FREE THE TIGERS," he yelled and pulled a trigger.

Lyssa shrieked and appeared to to go the wrong direction to get away and was struck in the high left shoulder by the bullet then appeared to be fainting as the second shot hit the same area while Rodrick's lightning reflexes carried him to tackle him. Lyssa feigned distress and used her back to push the President back until the Secret Service could encircle him.

Rodrick wrestled with the assassin on the floor making the gun go off two more times into the floor. The man screamed as Rodrick grappled around and used a jui-jitsu hold to snap both shoulders out of socket then straddled his chest and began slamming punches into his face unhindered until several agents pulled him off. They had their hands full with the former SEAL as he struggled to get back to the bleeding man as other agents took him into custody.

Rodrick spared a quick glance to Dannigan who gave him a subtle nod and stopped his struggles then demanded to be let go to see to Lyssa who was putting on an award winning performance calling out to Rodrick on the floor. Rodrick gathered her into his arms as he sat on the floor to hold her.

"I got him," he whispered.

"Fucking hurts like hell. Get me the fuck outta here," she whispered back then raised her voice to protest and whimper.

Paramedics that had been standing by quickly arrived and gently lifted Lyssa onto a gurney and went to work on her. Rodrick rode with her to the emergency room followed closely by the limo carrying Pete, Madison and Kimberly. Dannigan with his date in tow followed as well.

~o~O~o~

"WHAT IN THE HELL HAPPENED," demanded the President as the agents quickly drove the first family back to the White House.

"Sir we have no idea who he is much less how he got the gun through but we'll find out," The Agent in Charge affirmed him.

"That ballerina saved your life," the first Lady stated.

"Pure panic and by accident Ma'am, but a good thing all the same," the Agent replied," Her fiance on the other hand damn near beat the guy to death before we pulled him off, not that I blame him. He's an ex-SEAL. A little shady but nothing to be concerned about."

Beth leaned forward and hugged her parents as did the younger brother Dylan, "will she be ok?"

"I'll see to it she gets the best care as soon as we get back to the White House Bethy, I owe her that," the President assured her.

The young boy looked a bit confused and leaned in close to whisper into his father's ear, "How come she didn't look scared when that bad guy shot her?"

"What do you mean," The President whispered back.

"She didn't look scared. She looked like you do when you have papers to sign. The kind you don't like but have to sign anyway," the boy replied.

"Well she was so scared that she didn't know what to do and it kinda makes you go numb so it didn't hurt at first but after a second it did," He explained, "that's called panic son."

He still looked confused but accepted the answer.


CHAPTER 3

Lyssa was in surgery within the hour. There was a bit of commotion in the emergency room that ended after Lyssa threatened to strangle the nurse for attempting to cut the costume off. Lyssa had undressed on her own and sent the costume out to Madison with instructions to have it dry-cleaned immediately before the stains permanently set. Pete took her in Dannigan's car to drop it off then returned. Lyssa would have to stay overnight in the hospital but firmly told them all she would be leaving the next day to keep
her commitment to the orphanage.

By breakfast time the floral arrangements and other gifts began pouring in along with phone calls from friends asking her condition and if they could help in some way as well as from journalists asking for interviews and photos. Marissa and Katya were the first to call and be assured that Lyssa would be well and they could keep their schedules, however Rodrick had to answer to Katya's anger for not protecting Lyssa from injury.

By 9 a.m. the cast of the production all but stormed the lobby demanding to visit her and several photographers that tried to sneak to her room had to be escorted out of the hospital. At noon Lyssa had finally had enough and stated with or without the doctors advisement she was checking out and going home. Black SUVs bearing government plates waited at the door when she exited with her left arm in a sling and Rodrick giving glaring looks to anyone that tried to crowd them.

One photographer got too close bumping her and was immediately on the receiving end of a punch that slammed him back into the throng.

"Back the fuck off,"Rodrick growled at the remaining that tried to edge in and they hastily retreated back several steps.

The black SUVs quickly whisked Lyssa and Rodrick to the White House where they were rushed into the West Wing and the Oval Office itself. Several cameras flashed as the President and First Lady shook their hands and he presented them both with Medals of Citizenry for their bravery and sacrifice. Lyssa thanked him somewhat meekly as he also announced another substantial contribution to her toy donation in the name of the nation. Beth and Dylan presented Lyssa with a large bouquet of roses along with a get well card signed by them both. Lyssa and Rodrick declined the offer of lunch saying she needed to rest in preparation for the evening's visit to the orphanage which would go as planned regardless of her injuries.

An hour and a half later they walked into the beach house and Lyssa finally voiced her true feelings about it all making Rodrick laugh after covering his ears in mock dismay at her profanity.

~o~O~o~

Pete and Kimberly picked up Madison in a rental SUV and then joined Lyssa and Rodrick at the theater to pick up the toys that had been wrapped and carded by cast volunteers that would be coming along to assist her. Again in costume but without the arm sling Lyssa rode with Rodrick with Kimberly in the backseat of their SUV followed by Pete and Madison and several others in their own vehicles loaded down with toys.

The staff of the orphanage accommodated them by distracting the children as the toys were brought in and placed at the tree then Lyssa herself snuck in on them.

She announced loudly, "Hey kids its christmas eve out here!"

Madison stepped quickly out of the way and was steadied by Pete as a flurry of children surged into the room cheering. The cast along with Kimberly began calling out names and distributing gifts as several sat down immediately and began shredding the wrapping paper. Rodrick ended up helping one boy who's arm was in a cast, broken from a fall at school.

One little girl was more interested in Lyssa's costume than her wrapped box until Lyssa knelt down and helped her unwrap it to reveal a doll almost as big as the girl herself. The four year old promptly named it Lyssa. It took only a few minutes for the toys to be handed out and unwrapped. The children began sectioning off to spend time with the cast and Lyssa's friends to be entertained. It wasn't long before they were herded back together and Lyssa began reading 'Twas the night before Christmas'.

She'd read a page then hand off to another person. Luckily there were enough people there that each were able to read a page to the children. The staff noticed that some of the younger ones had begun to yawn and caught Lyssa's attention who almost hid a wince when she shifted position on the floor playing with a group of girls and their dolls. A worker leaned down and whispered that now would be a good time to say goodnight as several were about to fall over asleep.

Lyssa silent signaled to Rodrick and Pete and Kimberly to 'extract' and they caught the attention of the others and as a group they all said goodnight. After many hugs and thanks they returned to the theater to change and go home respectively. Kimberly feigned a headache and rode with Rodrick and Lyssa back to the safe house to be dropped off so Madison and Pete could go on their own.

~o~O~o~

Madison was surprised when Pete pulled in at the pricey resturaunt.

"Let's grab a bite, ok," he asked.

"Sounds good," she answered as the valet opened the door for her.

Pete had been slick and made a reservation but Madison figured that out because it wasn't the kind of place you just walked into and got a table.

Pete looked somewhat at a loss for words when Madison spoke up, "I really like the funny ways you answer the phone at the hangar."

Pete blushed, "Uh yeah. Well I never know when you're calling and we kinda get to goofing off."

Madison laughed.

"I really like talking to you though, ya know, even more so if it wasn't business," he blurted out then looked slightly embarrassed.

Madison smiled, "well I could call you personally on my own time."

"That'd be cool, if it doesn't put you in a bind with somebody," he caught himself.

"No, nobody. Unless maybe a guy down in the Bahamas would like to change that," she looked at him pointedly.

"Could try it. I like to, if you do too," he answered.

Dinner flew by quickly and soon Madison found herself in front of her apartment door being kissed and liking it.

"why not come in," she asked him.

"Kimberly did say she had a headache. Maybe some quiet time would be good," Pete said.

Madison smiled and led him inside.


CHAPTER 4

Dannigan sat back in his office looking out at the lights of the city. Lyssa had been able to maintain her cover while protecting the President. Nobody was the wiser about her and she was even able to keep her promise to the kids at the orphanage. He wasn't surprised that Madison pitched in to help with that. what did was the sparks flying between her and Pete. Almost as surprising as running into Helen Cafferty.

They knew each other from past work but not that far back and she'd been delighted to hear he had box seats at the ballet. She'd wanted to go but wasn't able to get tickets due to the immediate sell out. The picture Lyssa had posed for with them was equally nice. Dannigan printed it out first thing after her release from the hospital. It now hung on the wall. Along with a copy sent to Helen.

She had been very obvious mentioning no plans for New Year's eve. He though about inviting her to armed services ball. Lyssa and Rodrick would be at the White House gala. He was sure that Madison and Pete and Kimberly would find their own plans for that evening.

The would-be assassin's debriefing/interrogation had been straight-forward. A Somali that was trying to force the U.S. into releasing Al Queda collaborators from Guantanamo Bay, Gitmo, which wouldn't have worked even if he had been successful. the botched attempt had only made things even worse for them all now.

Christmas dinner at Lyssa and Rodrick's would be something to enjoy but he already had plans as he got up finally and left the office. Three hours later he walked into the quiet Veterans' Home. The nurse at the desk nodded to him.

"Merry Christmas Sir. The General will be thrilled you came," she said with a smile.

Dannigan nodded back, "I'm surprised you're here."

At the far end of the hall he stopped at a door with a name plate below two stars, Major General Patrick Bentley. He knocked quietly and entered.

A very tired old man opened his eyes and sighed,"You came....."

"Yes Sir General. Reporting as ordered," Dannigan saluted then smiled at the joke.

The old General nodded to a newspaper, "they said Sam died. Shot in front of the Pentagon."

"Yes Sir. His funeral was well attended," Dannigan replied.

"Who killed him," the General asked.

Dannigan shook his head, "nobody that matters anymore."

"Make sure you wear your uniform to mine. You earned that rank boy. I Understand why you pretend to be lower. Look in that drawer there. That box is for you," He instructed him

Dannigan took out the box and opened it. Light glittered off the rank inside.

"You never put on the ones they issued. You'll damn well wear those boy. Merry Christmas," the old man said softly then closed his eyes, "make sure you call him. Both of you are good men."

Dannigan sighed, "Yes Sir."

The old man settled in to sleep but reached over and clasped his hand.

"Merry christmas to you too; Dad," Dannigan said softly.

~o~O~o~

Meghan chattered nonstop to Rodrick as she held him hostage on the couch on his lap amid snickers by Pete and her father while Kimberly and Madison help Lyssa and Meghan's adoptive mother in the kitchen.

Pete mouthed the words silently to Rodrick,"Daddy material."

Rodrick flashed him a hateful look then whispered into her ear. Meghan promptly clambered down and over to Pete where she took station on his lap and began reciting all the gifts she'd gotten while Rodrick smirked at him. Madison had noticed and giggled then whispered to Kimberly who promptly followed suit. the women set everything on the table then called out for the men and Meghan to join them.

Pete seated Madison and Kimberly as Rodrick did for Lyssa and the Commander for his wife and Meghan. None of them being overly religious gave thanks for friends present, lamented those not present and toasted to those that still fought valiantly for ideals.

The dinner was cheerful and after the clean-up, gifts were handed out. Kimberly received designer clothing and shoes along with perfume and jewelry from Lyssa and Rodrick, from Pete she received her favorite tv series on DVD set and from Madison she received a complete make-up set with brushes in a travel case.

Pete received some collectibles of the Dallas Cowboys from Kimberly, a complete Clint Eastwood movie set from Madison, from Lyssa and Rodrick he got an extended satellite package and suit from Giorgio Armani.

Madison enjoyed the new year's eve dress and jewelry from Lyssa and Rodrick, the shell jewelry and bikini from Kimberly and was awestruck by the beach painting from Pete.

Lyssa received a stunning jewelry set from Rodrick, a make-up set with brushes in travel case from Madison, a ballerina music box from Pete and new pointe shoes from Kimberly.

Rodrick liked the custom painted flight helmet from Pete, new western boots from Kimberly and the leather bomber style jacket from Madison.

Meghan was overjoyed tearing into her gifts which consisted of ballerina dolls, dollhouse, tea party set and ballet wear in her size along with a year of lessons from a local academy. After Meghan and her parents left, four final gifts rested under the tree.

Dannigan had them delivered that morning. For Kimberly there was a new laptop computer, for Pete a poster of the entire line-up of the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders autographed by them, Madison opened up a three piece luggage set from Coach, Rodrick was impressed with the special edition aviator watch, pocket knife and wallet set from Victorianox and Lyssa was very happy to see a professional collection of all her performances along with the three Sugar Plum Doll costumes she'd worn preserved. Later on Kimberly left for the safe-house and Pete went home with Madison again leaving Lyssa and Rodrick alone.

He laid down in front of the fireplace after adding some more wood to it and smiled as Lyssa laid down beside him wearing only the jewelry set he'd given her and her engagement ring.

"Merry Christmas my Steel Butterfly," he murmurred to her then kissed her neck.

Lyssa smiled and laid back as he slid over on top of her and whispered, "Merry Christmas Hotrod."

Lyssa Kordenay returns in Visions of Butterflies and Eagles!!!
up
544 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Christmas

It was interesting to make people aware that the terrorist groups always look to strike on holidays such as that one as they seem to think that we relax at those times.... point well taken Snow but some of us never relax , even then
Great chapter

thanks

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Thanks PapaBear*hugs* There truly is No Rest for the Wicked. Glad you like this one.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Holidays

Dahlia's picture

Thanks for the next chapter. It is nice to have a normal, well relatively normal, one without intrigue and mayhem.
There always seems to be loonies out there that think if they kill someone of importance it will gain them great favor or something. Really! after all these years and they think that their act is so profound and earth shattering that the governments of the world will change just for them. Right!!

Dahlia

A truly beautiful holiday.....

D. Eden's picture

And another fantastic addition to the story. You just continue to flesh out your characters more and more, making them seem ever more real.

I notice though that everyone seems to have someone except for Kimberly. Madison and Pete ate apparently making the beast with two backs. Even Dannigan seems to have found someone. When does Kimberly find that special someone? I had kind of assumed that she would end up with Pete......

Wrong on that one!

As always, can't wait for more Hon.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

It's nice

...to see all the rest of the main characters pairing off, except for Kimberly. I hope she finds someone too.

I like the way you are "filling out" the characters.

Joanna

Kimberely has to have time

Kimberely has to have time enjoying being herself before she can jump into a relationship besides since has been in hiding she hasn't exactly had the opportunity

Sounds like....

.. like there is a mystery to solve based on the General's statement to to Paul. Saying "make sure you call him."! We know Snowfall is a true Mistress of misdirection and cliffhanger endings as well. I can't give her enough kudos for her work though, as each story she writes is exciting and an attention keeper. Well Done!

Lyssa Kordenay Missions

I have only just started reading this series and really enjoy it